HAMILTON

I liked Dougie Hamilton in his draft year (ranked him No. 3 defender) and was impressed by his wide range of skills and mobility. Kirk Luedeke had the verbal at the time:

• Kirk Luedeke: Hamilton is a very good skater for a defenseman of his size, exhibiting some real jump and smooth acceleration, top speed, and excellent lateral agility and footwork. His wheels allow him to jump into the play, and he’s a self-described “sneaky offensive player” who scored several of his goals by shooting down into the slot and losing his man in time to rip the puck into the back of the net. With his size and mobility, he can play a shutdown role, but he has a big point shot, so he has power play duty in the NHL as a realistic option. He’s a right-shooter, so on a team with a big lefty, Hamilton could be even more valuable.

By June 2015 he was a fairly established player and my No. 1 choice for fixing the defense:

• Dougie Hamilton (72GP, 10-32-42, 21:20). A perfect fit for Edmonton, as he’s RH and can help in all three facets of the game (5-10-15 on the power play). Fantastic possession numbers and he’s starting to zoom Zdeno based on the numbers. Source

This is kind of crazy. Hamilton, signed through 2021 summer with a $5.75 million cap hit each season, is on the third pairing. Most of this is probably the new coach trying out a few things (a few crazy things) but at some point things will settle down. What I find interesting is that Hamilton’s possession numbers are good and he is picking up his partner like hell won’t have it. So, let’s review:

• New coach has made a curious decision.
  • Hamilton is playing a lesser role.
  • Hamilton is elevating the success of the pairing markedly when assigned to the job.
  • Rumors about Hamilton being dealt are apparently out there.

That is a bizarre story line, you wouldn’t right that as a possibility on hfboards for fear Unbiased Canadian would stomp your guts out.

IS HE AVAILABLE?

I am going to suggest the answer is no. If you read the insiders and parse their words correctly:

• Pierre Lebrun: “You heard Dougie Hamilton’s name out there this year. I don’t think it was the Flames shopping him. But I know that at least one team, for sure, phoned about his availability and it didn’t go anywhere.” Source Source
  • Bob McKenzie: “I get conflicting reports. What I hear in Calgary is Dougie Hamilton is not available. Other people think he is.” Source

There is a distinct lack of a credible thread. It sounds like someone called and were shut down. Whatever Hamilton’s sins, chances are he will be part of the solution and by mid-season we will be swearing at him for good plays wearing the red and white. He is a good player, and he is not 40 and not injured. This will not end with Hamilton being sent away for 10 cents on the dollar.

It is even more difficult to project him onto the Oilers roster. He costs most of $6 million, so Edmonton’s trade options include Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle, Andrej Sekera. Is there a player in there who can be exchanged out and replaced internally? I don’t see it. Do you?

64 Responses to "HAMILTON"

1. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Pouliot and a pick…. maybe?

I’m also a little bit concerned about a kid in his early 20s being traded for the second time despite very accessible numbers suggesting he’s not the problem.

There’s also the problem of Calgary doing business with Edmonton. Doesn’t happen often, and when it does it’s on the margins.

I think we might as well ignore this one. Hamilton for Trouba or Lindholm seems far more likely.

2. Doug McLachlan says:

LT, admittedly this would be a more satisfying post had the Flames lost last night in Chicago but I can’t help that at some level you are trolling the Flames fans who visit here.

Hi Cameron.

That said, I wonder how the two legit unresolved rfa D situations resolve themselves (Lindholm and Trouba) and how Chia might be able to position the Oilers to benefit?

I am very satisfied with how Russell has handled himself so far but would be much more comfortable if he were doing it on the third pair as opposed to the second.

Balance – tantalizingly close.

3. frjohnk says:

I just dont see him being available.

Calgary would be stupid to move him.

But then again, the way they are using him is not smart.

4. murphy says:

Sekera, reinhart and a pick? Sekera for now, reinhart for hope and a 4th rounder?

5. shane leavitt says:

Lucic.

6. frjohnk says:

Ran through some stats today.

Through the first 6 games.

5 on 5.

GF/60 GF/60
    1.72__ 3.1
    GA/60 GA/60
    2.59__ 2.4
    GF% GF%
    40%__ 56%

While most of the “against” metrics have lessened somewhat except SCA/60 which has increased a tad.

Some of the “for” metrics have made significant leaps. SCF/60 has increased by 17.3 per 60 to 22.3 per 60, an increase of 5!!!. High danger corsi attempts for has increased by almost 6 attempts per 60!!!

Edmonton looks to be one of the more high event teams. They are averaging just over 23 high danger chances for and against per 60.

Edmonton averages more high danger chances for per 60 mins with 13 than Jersey averaging 11 high danger chances for AND against per 60.

7. jp says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Pouliot and a pick…. maybe?

That was my first thought. Robbing Peter to pay Paul obviously, but conceivable.

Chiarelli knows this player well. How much does he want him?

If Chiaralli is a fan, and evening out the lefty-righty is a priority then Klefbom or Sekera could be in play.

Unlikely for sure, but there’s ways it could work.

8. Younger Oil says:

Cool thing I saw today, not sure if it has been posted here, sorry if it has.

This year, the Oilers have won 4 games in regulation against Western Conference teams.

Last year, it took them until March 16th to reach that same mark.

The year before, March 25.

9. Younger Oil says:

Hall scored again.

He now has scored 44% of his team’s goals.

Younger Oil:
    Hall scored again.

He now has scored 44% of his team’s goals.

Love that guy’s hockey game.

11. Bank Shot says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Pouliot and a pick…. maybe?

Justin Schultz had good possession numbers generally as well. And then you watched him play….

Now Doogie Hamilton is better than Schultz but he definitely has some Schultz in his game.

I don’t think the Oilers can afford to add another $6 million man who really isn’t a game changer.

Rnh for Hamilton would probably be a fair swap though.

12. Kepler62 says:

The only one on that list I see as “replaceable” by an internal candidate would be Sekera. Unfortunately he has a no-move-clause and I doubt the Flames would do that swap anyways… but just for discussions sake:

Klefbom – Larsson

Nurse – Hamilton

Reinhart – Davidson

as a defence next year would look rather swell. Not a man under 200 lbs and Davie is the smallest at 6’2. I don’t see how Reinhart and Davidson would not rip lesser competition to pieces. Hamilton has the point blast they lack, Klefbom-Larsson are Klefbom-Larsson, and Nurse is just what the doctor ordered.

CLARIFICATON: I’m a huge fan of Sekera and am not saying we NEED to trade him!

13. leadfarmer says:

I’m sure Calgary would want nothing more than to fix our 2nd pairing RHD hole. Its not enough that McDavid is going to torment them for the next 20 years

14. hunter1909 says:

Okay Calgary Puck has a dedicated thread re Hamilton’s softness and worthlessness…

So Oilers should go all in for this 6 million dollar “Tom Gilbert” player type…

FFS Why?????

15. hunter1909 says:

Thankfully Chiarelli probably understands what a sissy Hamilton is and won’t bother the Oilers fanbase with anything like a Hamilton trade etc.

16. LadiesloveSmid says:

Would be a solution on the PP, his even strength production is fantastic. Hard to get over how poor he is defensively. Gives everything he creates back it seems, doesn’t help that he was playing with Jokkipakka/Engelland/Russell(ha! *weep*).

Davidson-Hamilton might be a nice second pair, needs a box protection D. I like Sekera a lot though, don’t see how the two of them at similar price tags are on the team below KlefLar and not together

17. Klima's_Bucket says:

Mark Pysyk just scored a dandy for the Panthers.
    The Panthers have a 3rd pairing of two right shot D in Pysyk and Petrovic.

18. Cameron says:

Doug McLachlan:

Hi Cameron.

I…feel…trollled

Hey Doug

Our Scotch bet still on?

19. Jaxon says:

Look back on the interesting conversations re: Hamilton on June 10, 2015. This is pre-Reinhart trade.

VanOil almost indirectly called the Hall-Larsson trade although I think he was saying to make a $6M offer sheet like Hall/Nuge/Ebs not offer them Hall/Nuge/Ebs.

I commented that we should be looking at other secondary targets as well like Larsson, Benning, Parayko, Paliotta, Pysyk, Pulock, Petrovic, Dumba, Bowey, Spurgeon, etc. The Oilers have landed 2 of those players, and Pysyk and Paliotta have changed teams. This was also before Parayko was in the NHL. I’d still love to get Bowey somehow. I think he’d be a great fit.

I like the idea of trying to trade Sekera (if he’d waive his NMC) for either of Trouba or Hamilton. What else would you have to throw in to land them? Reinhart, Davidson?

All this is mute if the Oilers have any inside info that they can land Burns next summer. And I wouldn’t put it past Chiarelli (I realize, MacLellan is the connection not Chiarelli) but rememer what happened with Chara in Ottawa. Edmonton feels like a near perfect fit for Burns. In location (close to mountains, snowmobiling, hunting, fishing) and a working class town that loves hockey, new arena, feeding McDavid, and playing alongside Lucic, Maroon, Kassian, Nurse, Gryba and maybe Paigin (all over 210lbs) he wouldn’t have to be the ‘heavy’ but could just play his game.

Klefbom – Larsson
    Nurse – Trouba/Burns/Bowey/Hamilton
    Paigin/Reinhart/Davidson – Benning/Bear
    LaLeggia

I would let Sekera and one of Davidson/Reinhart go to make that happen.

In order of preference:
    Trouba – young tough offensive
    Burns – old tough offensive
    Bowey – young tough offensive, but green, very green
    Hamilton – young, offensive, soft? not very good defensively?

In order of preference of secondary piece to give up:
    Reinhart
    Davidson
    Paigin – I’m probably a bit too high on him, but his NHLe from last year (48pts) is astonishing. And he’s 6’6″, 209lbs at 21 years old! And, he was scouted as defensive minded in the year he was drafted.

20. Doug McLachlan says:

Cameron,

Absolutely. Nobody really loses a Scotch bet. Flames looking much better yesterday and tonight.

21. hunter1909 says:

I hope Hall scores 70 goals.

22. hunter1909 says:

Doug McLachlan: Absolutely. Nobody really loses a Scotch bet.

No one really wins one either.

23. JDï™ says:

Doug McLachlan: Nobody really loses a Scotch bet.

I’ll bet you I can drink more scotch than you can.

24. hunter1909 says:

Cameron,

Aren’t you the Flames fan?

Aren’t the Flames terrible so far this season, while the Oilers have been somewhat dominant?

hunter1909:
    I hope Hall scores 70 goals.

Me too.

26. Doug McLachlan says:

hunter1909,

Good friend. Good Scotch. Drink. Repeat. Sounds like a win to me.

27. Doug McLachlan says:

JDï™,

I have no doubt you can drink more but I doubt you would enjoy it more.

28. Cameron says:

hunter1909:
    Cameron,

Aren’t you the Flames fan?

A. Yes
    B. Not anymore
    C. This too shall pass

29. Cameron says:

Doug McLachlan:
    JDï™,

I have no doubt you can drink more but I doubt you would enjoy it more.

I dont think it is possible to enjoy a bottle more than I/we did the ‘Tears of Wayne Gretzky’

30. nafnikufesin says:

How old do you have to be before they stop calling you “Dougie”?

31. LadiesloveSmid says:

nafnikufesin:
    How old do you have to be before they stop calling you “Dougie”?

ask his older brother Freddie, or teammate Johnny, or teammate TJ!

32. Doug McLachlan says:

nafnikufesin:
    How old do you have to be before they stop calling you “Dougie”?

I’m 46 now. I’ll let you know.

33. Glass says:

We could really use a legitimate offensive RHD prospect. Opportunities may open up to acquire one during the magical chairs that is the expansion draft. Provide a team with a depth player they would be in need of and add a pick or B prospect.

I just hope we don’t see a deal similar to Nuge for Matt Dumba manifest.

34. treevojo says:

Cameron: I…feel…trollled

Hey Doug

Our Scotch bet still on?

This is being trolled.

Hamilton + tkatchuck for nurse and Greg Chase.

But good thing nobody trolls around here.

35. dustrock says:

nafnikufesin:
    How old do you have to be before they stop calling you “Dougie”?

Ask Scottie Pippen, Olson, Billy Bragg, Corgan, et al

36. LadiesloveSmid says:

Flames at 7P after 8 games, fine condition. Shows what you can take after 6 games!

Either the blues aren’t the team they were last year or the oilers/flames just really took it to them. 10-4 ES scoring chances CGY

37. Ryan says:

Cameron: I…feel…trollled

Hey Doug

Our Scotch bet still on?

Why would we need Dougie? It’s not like we don’t already have a never ending supply of 3rd pairing dmen? 😉

38. JDï™ says:

Ryan: Why would we need Dougie?

I think you’re being a little short sighted here. Flipping him for 3rd and 5th rounders at the deadline could come in very handy next June.

39. Cameron says:

In all seriousness, if the Flames were to flip Hamilton to Edm I would think that the return would be something like; Puljujarvi + Reinhart

But really, Hamilton to Edm is just not going to happen.

40. OilClog says:

Would rather like to see a wild chase for Hampus.

Better fit, better player, more then likely a more affordable cost.

Leaves room to go get Hemmer

41. JDï™ says:

Cameron: I would think that the return would be something like; Puljujarvi + Reinhart

I didn’t mean for the scotch drinking contest to start right away.

JDï™: I didn’t mean for the scotch drinking contest to start right away.

FTW!!

43. Cameron says:

JDï™: I didn’t mean for the scotch drinking contest to start right away.

It would explain the Hall deal

44. JDï™ says:

Cameron: Hall deal

But you’re clearly in the lead. Congratulations.

45. Gordies Elbow says:

Cameron,

Might want to save some of the scotch for the games Edmonton plays Calgary.

McDavid seems to be finding another gear against Pacific teams, especially Calgary. Fun to watch him play, worth savoring like the scotch.

46. Cameron says:

JDï™: But you’re clearly in the lead. Congratulations.

Given that Hamilton was rumoured to be heading to Edm in a three way deal that would have netted the Flames the pick to take Puljujarvi, I’m not sure why you think my suggestion is so out of line.

The Flames don’t want Eberle at his ticket/age, The Nuge would be excellent, but Monahan, Bennett, and Backlund make for a tough fit to add him (though Backlund heading back would make some sense for both teams, Edm would need to add something to make the equation work), and you’ve dealt away both Hall and Yakupov. You aren’t dealing from defense, and Calgary isn’t likely to be excited by any of your other wingers.

Hamilton cost Calgary a 1st and two 2nds (and another righty blue in the same age range, Larsson, cost Hall), so whatever package you offer Calgary should be in that value range or what is the logic for Calgary?

All of which leaves my suggestion of Puljujarvi + Reinhart. Gives Calgary good value for parting with a RH 23 year old D man with size and offense, and a young defender whose career has stalled that they can try to repair.

I should add that most Flames fans would gag at that return, I suspect this is largely because they undervalue Puljujarvi.

47. JDï™ says:

Cameron: I’m not sure why you think my suggestion is so out of line.

48. StixMalone says:

Jets lose again tonight. How long before Trouba gets dealt? The longer this goes the cheaper he will become…..

49. Chachi says:

JDï™: Based on nothing more than which one of us has worn a $200 garment sporting a fire-breathing horsie.

HA!

50. OmJo says:

Serious question: Would Hamilton for Russell work?

That’s the only player I see, aside from McDavid, who the Flames would be interested in that we have enough depth to trade away.

51. Professor Q says:

Is this,

“Suggest Terrible Trade Prospects Night”?

I don’t think I’ve seen so many outrageous scenarios before, even here.

52. JimmyV1965 says:

Younger Oil:
    Cool thing I saw today, not sure if it has been posted here, sorry if it has.

Last year, it took them until March 16th to reach that same mark.

The year before, March 25.

Wow!!! That blew my mind.

53. Zelepukin says:

Professor Q:
    Is this,

“Suggest Terrible Trade Prospects Night”?

I don’t think I’ve seen so many outrageous scenarios before, even here.

haha, so true.

54. Jethro Tull says:

Professor Q:
    Is this,

“Suggest Terrible Trade Prospects Night”?

I don’t think I’ve seen so many outrageous scenarios before, even here.

Obviously you weren’t here for the Weber/Rights to Omark years.

55. Yeti says:

OilClog: Would rather like to see a wild chase for Hampus.

Let the wild rumpus begin?

56. misfit says:

Have people also forgotten that this is the Flames we’re talking about? Hamilton’s availability is questionable for the other 28 teams in the league. For us, he’s 100% unavailable. This isn’t Steve Staios at the deadline about a year or two after his last useful NHL season we’re talking about. This is a significant young player with years before he even enters his prime.

57. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

misfit,

Yup.

I think they will get a deal with the Ducks for Lindholm. Probably more pieces involved.

58. misfit says:

I forgot to add “unless he remains a Flame” in which case, he’s an overrated, overpaid nancy boy. But I would hope that was implied.

59. hunter1909 says:

FINAL WORD ON HAMILTON:

Oilers are 5-1 and their defence additions are all playing great.

Hamilton isn’t good enough for the Oilers to bother with. If Oilers go after anyone it has to be another Pronger/Weber level player, 100% developed and ready to star.

Hamilton’s another overpaid loser who sucks the capspace out of a contender so fast it’s horcoffian.

60. rickithebear says:

hunter1909:
    FINAL WORD ON HAMILTON:

Oilers are 5-1 and their defence additions are all playing great.

Hamilton isn’t good enough for the OIlers to bother with. If Oilers go after anyone it has to be another Pronger/Weber level player, 100% developed and ready to star.

His -1/gm against the best of West conf.
    was a hint I pointed out.
    when ever we discussed him.

it concerned me relative to HSC expectation.
    last year he was bottom 5 in league there with Bartkowski; Reilly; Nurse; Faulk.

Hunter
    You describe the HSC and cap analytics to a T.

61. hunter1909 says:

I’ll give Chiarelli an A- for his work on the defence.

Dougie Hamilton(something about that name rings alarm bells) represents the Sam Gagner school overpay for potential on a player who has flat out glaring issues going forward.

Kevin Lowe/MacT would be all over this, of course. Hamilton’s exactly the type of crappy player they made a reputation on. Announcing their every move in advance, turning up like stalkers at player’s summer homes, etc.

Hopefully Gretzky now being officially connected to the team finally washes away the Lowe/MacT era in every way imaginable.

62. jake70 says:

hunter1909:
    FINAL WORD ON HAMILTON:

Oilers are 5-1 and their defence additions are all playing great.

It’s not the only thing, but the disappearance of the “2nd contract” for “good” players is going to kill many teams cap wise. Dont’ think any team is immune either. I was hoping the league would (think they tried) in the 2012 lockout to push free agency back to 29 y ears old, giving teams more time to really know a player before backing up the Brinks truck for him.

63. rickithebear says:

LadiesloveSmid:

95 points needed for wild card.
    10 OT/SOL is the avg.

Record needed to achieve Wild card Standard:
    EDM: 38-29-9 +9gm
    COL needs 40-27-10 +13gm
    LAK needs 40-24-10 +14gm
    ANA needs 41-26-8 +15gm
    CGY: 40-25-9 +15gm
    NSH: 41-26-10 +15gm
    WPG: 41-25-10 +16gm
    ARZ: 42-24-10 +18gm

64. Professor Q says:

Jethro Tull: Obviously you weren’t here for the Weber/Rights to Omarkyears.

Oh, indeed. I was exaggerating, of course. But Nurse and Nuge for Lindholm (a lefty over Hamilton, a righty) and Hemsky?!