BLUE BURNS ORANGE

The Bakersfield Condors are in action tonight, playing just Game No. 6 on a slow, slow minor league schedule. It is difficult to track prospects who play once or twice a week, but we should get a good look at the crew this week—as they play three games between now and Monday.

At this blog, we don’t concern ourselves so much with wins, more about development. Among Condors who have played five or more games in the minors and are productive NHL players for Edmonton:

1. C Leon Draisaitl 10gp, 2-4-6 (spent six games in Bakersfield at the beginning of 2015-16)
  2. R Tyler Pitlick 10gp, 3-1-4 (AHL regular since 2011 fall, may finally make it)
  3. LD Darnell Nurse 10gp, 2-2-4 (spent nine games in Bakersfield at the beginning of 2015-16)
  4. W Anton Slepyshev 3gp, 1-0-1 (spent 49 games in Bakersfield in 2015-16)

It is anyone’s guess how much Gerry Fleming impacted these men, but the job of Condors coaching is to help develop NHL players—and these four men have been productive by any measure. In the summer, I asked a series of questions about Fleming, and want to revisit them today.

sallinen-williams

1. What is the best thing you can say about Fleming? Many of the players sent to the minors for real seasoning since 2015 fall—Jujhar Khaira, Laurent Brossoit, Dillon Simpson, Jordan Oesterle—seem to be making progress.
  2. Which prospect improved most in Fleming’s first season? I would list Jujhar Khaira, who emerged as a legit NHL prospect this past season. The young man is adding offense early in 2016-17, and should become a bona fide NHL player later this season.
  3. Which prospect disappointed most in Fleming’s first season? Anton Slepyshev. He looked good in TC fall 2015 and won an NHL job. During his AHL time, the goals and success did not come. This fall? Same thing. I do not have an answer, and maybe this is an example of a player with limited offense who fits in a specific area, but the 13 goals in 49 games one year ago was a disappointment.
  4. How many legit NHL prospects are in Bakersfield this fall? I will list Jujhar Khaira, Matt Benning, Griffin Reinhart, Laurent Brossoit, Nick Ellis, Jordan Oesterle, David Musil, Dillon Simpson, Kyle Platzer and Jere Sallinen. That is 10.
  5. How many of those will make it? That number is always less than hoped for, bet the under. Fleming was an assistant coach for the 2008-09 Springfield Falcons. That team featured prospects Devan Dubnyk, Rob Schremp, Ryan Potulny, Ryan Stone, Slava Trukhno, J-F Jacques, Gilbert Brule, Colin McDonald, Taylor Chorney, Theo Peckham, Ryan O’Marra, Liam Reddox. That is 12, only Devan Dubnyk is an NHL regular.
  6. How many of those men played 100 NHL games? Nine. Only Dubnyk had a significant career, though.
  7. Are there any of the current 10 who are locks for 100 games? Griffin Reinhart I bet, I will also say Khaira and Benning. Goalies are tough to project, 100 games is a lot.
  8. Is there anything about the Condors’ deployment that is good or bad? I suspect but cannot prove that the Oilers minor league teams do not play their 20-year olds enough. We have discussed this at length. I also think this year’s college invasion (Ellis, Benning, Benik, Russell, Caggiula) is both a Godsend and a giant condemnation of some of the drafted kids out of the CHL. Peter Chiarelli is moving on from the past, this fall has shown that, even in the first five games.
  9. Does Fleming have a preference in terms of player? Seems to like the rugged types, fond of David Musil. Then again, he said Dillon Simpson was the team’s best overall defender last year, so we should probably not read too much into these things.
  10. Is there anything you would change? I think Bob Green is uncovering some reasonable talent here on AHL-only types, might be an idea to invest an NHL contract on one or two. As fans, we probably get too excited about Joey Benik scoring two early goals, but at some point one of these AHL-only deals is going to make an NHL dent ala Mark Arcobello. I hope the Oilers sign that guy.
  11. Are you generally satisfied with the progress of Edmonton’s prospects? Yes. Gerry Fleming shouldn’t be judged by wins and losses, but rather on how many Jujhar Khaira’s develop under his watch. Fleming was head coach for a portion of Brandon Davidson’s development, and that is exactly the kind of player we should be seeing rising from the crowd. I think Khaira might be this year’s model, and without projecting this point too far, a successful NHL Khaira means Fleming is doing his job. Full stop.
  12. What about Reinhart? General managers rarely give up on players they have acquired, so I think we will see Reinhart in an Oilers uniform again—but it may not be this season. The comments from the end of training camp were very specific and improvement in those areas is going to take more than five games—and Reinhart is currently injured (and not in tonight’s lineup).

TONIGHT’S LINEUP (PROJECTED)

• Hamilton—Khaira—Beck
  • Allen—Newbury—Russell
  • Sallinen—Platzer—Benik
  • Moroz—Currie—Christoffer
  • Oesterle—Musil
  • Betker—Laleggia
  • Fraser—Simpson
  • Brossoit—Ellis

Shots for and against this season are 158-170, GF-GA is 13-15. Bakersfield has been on the power play 23 times, scoring twice, and shorthanded 25 times, allowing five goals against. The scoring isn’t there for this group to contend in the Pacific, I think the defense is probably a little above average and the goalies should give the team a slight advantage over the long term (I like Ellis quite a bit, and do think Brossoit will have a career). Updates in the comments section as they happen. All photos by Mark Williams.

CONDORS ROOKIES 2016-17

1. R Patrick Russell 5gp, 0-3-3 and eight shots
  2. L Joey Benik 4gp, 2-0-2 and six shots
  3. RD Matt Benning 2gp, 1-1-2 and eight shots*
  4. R Jaeden Descheneau 4gp, 0-1-1 one shot
  5. G Nick Ellis 3gp, 2.62 and .928

*Made NHL debut Nov. 1, 2016.

71 Responses to "BLUE BURNS ORANGE"

Sorry to hijack early LT, but I just tweeted this out and thought it would be interesting to put here too.

I think we can all agree that the last 3 games were the Oilers worst of the year and they are lucky to be 1-1-1 over that time.

Out of curiosity I ran the Expected Goal Share of everyone over those 3 games.

Forwards:

ERIC.GRYBA 57.8
    ADAM.LARSSON 54.04
    DARNELL.NURSE 52.41
    OSCAR.KLEFBOM 49.06
    ANDREJ.SEKERA 45.21
    KRIS.RUSSELL 27.57

Some forwards at the bottom of the list have some splaining to do!!

The Dmen chart kinda speaks for itself.

Nice to see Gryba and Nurse floating near the top.

Often 3rd pair Dmen will have the best xGF% on a team due to QoC.

Those two lagged behind for the first part of the year and now seem to have found another gear.

Important stuff as your 3rd pair will play more 5v5 than everyone except your 1st line.

5v5 TOI/GM so far this year for the Oilers:

Benoit Pouliot 11:35
    Anton Slepyshev 11:07
    Jesse Puljujarvi 10:40
    Mark Letestu 8:51
    Anton Lander 7:41
    Tyler Pitlick 7:35

Eberle is apparently under the weather, that would be part of the explanation.

3. lynn says:

Jaedon Descheneau has been sent to Norfolk, and Greg Chase is out of the lineup after playing only one game.

4. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I continue to maintain Kassian has earned a spot in the top 9. Worked hard in the off season to turn his life around and is living up to his billing for the first time as an NHL player. Shows up nicely above.

5. frjohnk says:

Eberle is apparently under the weather, that would be part of the explanation.

EBERLEITIS

Inflammation of the EBERLE!

6. frjohnk says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:

Im loving Kassian.

This was a fantastic add by Chia.

7. Centre of attention says:

Woodguy,

Disagree that the last 3 have been the Oilers worst. They have heavily outshot opponents and for the most part looked like a competent team. It was singular break downs (missed assignment, bad pass) that have cost them the last few days.

I’m not accusing you of doing this WoodGuy, but I do find it kind of funny how some of the analytics types were raising the warning flag when the Oilers were winning the Dangerous chances battle but losing the corsi battle consistently, suddenly when they are winning the Corsi heavily but losing the DFF now THAT is a warning flag too? I know standards should be up this year but give the team a break. Know what I’m getting at?

Just my opinion, again I’m not accusing you of what I described but I do find it kind of double standards.

“The Oilers are getting lucky, look see they are getting out shot pretty badly!”

“The Oilers played their worst games when heavily out shooting their opponents”

You can’t have both. Which one is it?

*edit*

I also believe special teams alone (specifically power play) have cost the team at least two points total over the last few losses.

8. Centre of attention says:

Eberle is apparently under the weather, that would be part of the explanation.

Makes sense, he was much more engaged before these last 2 garbage games. Coming down with something would explain the sudden drop in play. I doubt very much Eberle suddenly stopped caring these last 2 games.

WoodGuy was impressed enough to compliment his effort & competetiveness, then suddenly he gets sick. Thanks, WoodGuy. 😉

Centre of attention:
    Woodguy,

As far as I know, I stand alone as the Corsi man here, so when dangerous chances are going down that would be a time when most of the people who post here get nervous. Corsi is not very popular these days, save for the incredibly stubborn host. 🙂

10. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: As far as I know, I stand alone as the Corsi man here, so when dangerous chances are going down that would be a time when most of the people who post here get nervous. Corsi is not very popular these days, save for the incredibly stubborn host.

Fair enough.

I also believe it’s fair to say in a perfect world you would find a balance between DFF and Corsi, at least in my opinion. Why not strive for ~50% in both instead of shooting from everywhere and getting 70% corsi but giving up 3 odd man rushes a period because rebounds off the end boards caused by the “shoot at all cost” mentality are jail breaking the bad guys the other way? The opposite is dangerous too, turtle-ing in your own zone and giving up tons of perimeter shots gaming for break away’s (AKA: Randy Carlyle hockey) is not effective either.

It’s all about balance. Just my 2 cents.

11. OilersFuture says:

I went and looked at the 2008-09 AHL teams in the Atlantic Division (same division as the Oilers team). All the players listed below played 50+ games in the minors.

Harford Wolf Pack – Anisimov, Parenteau, Pyatt, Potter, Weise,
    Providence Bruins – Boychuk, Sobotka, McQuaid, Rask
    Portland Pirates – Gerbe, Kostka, Gragnani, Chris Butler, Jonas Enroth
    Worcester Sharks – Jamie McGinn, Jason Demers, Andrew Desjardins, Tomas Greiss
    Manchester Monarchs – Trevor Lewis, Matt Moulson, Ted Purcell, Slava Voynov, Alec Martinez, Brian Boyle, Jonathan Bernier
    Lowell Devils – Stephen Gionta, Matt Halischuk

Good teams draft and develop. The Kings minor league team was stacked. They also had Quick (14 games before graduating to the NHL) and Zatkoff playing in the ECHL. The Bruins, Sharks and Rangers added 3 or 4 solid pieces to their teams.

The Oiler’s should hope to get 3 – 5 contributors to the NHL from the streets of Bakersfield. LT, if you had to guess which 3 – 5 would make an impact with the Oiler’s who would they be?

I see two that have a legit shot – Khaira (Hendricks replacment) & Benning. I think Reinhart will get a long look and I really, like Simpson. I think he could be the next Davidson. And also some or all of Cagguilla, Slepy and JP might spend some time in the minors.

Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey 3m3 minutes ago
    McKenzie: “Jakob Chychrun – he’ll be staying in Arizona. He’s played so well.” #Coyotes

I’ll never stop telling everyone I pimped him all the way to the end and thought he should have gone in the top 7-8.

13. Professor Q says:

Woodguy:
    Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey3m3 minutes ago

Unfortunately there was a last minute Serg and everyone was Juolever it.

14. Centre of attention says:

Woodguy:
    Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey3m3 minutes ago

Yeah, I was shocked when he fell out of the top 10. Then he just kept falling. Arizona absolutely dunked on every team at the draft with that pick.

Centre of attention:
    Woodguy,

“The Oilers played theirworst games when heavily out shooting their opponents”

You can’t have both. Which one is it?

*edit*

I’m on record when they were 7-1-0 saying:

“they are a mid-pack team riding a PDO wave”

You can’t lump me in with what others have said.

Fancystats isn’t a club where we all meet and decide on narratives so you can’t hang what others say on me or on “fancystats”

People are responsible for what they say alone.

I’m not trying to have it both ways, so don’t accuse me of things I haven’t done.

I am also on record liking their score adjusted CF% to start and really liking their Expected Goals to start so when you say:

“The Oilers played theirworst games when heavily out shooting their opponents”

I didn’t say either one.

You are better off questioning people who actually said these things.

I’m not accusing you of doing this WoodGuy,

Ok, then why ask me to answer for them?

Fancystats is just data.

Not everyone interprets the data the same.

Woodguy:
    Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey3m3 minutes ago

I had him No. 9, where he should have gone

17. Centre of attention says:

Woodguy,

My bad, I was trying to bring my opinion of what others have said to your attention, in an effort to get your opinion on what I view as double standards by others.

I tried to specifically say I am not accusing you of this, again I was soliciting your opinion on the idea itself. I don’t mean to lump you in with others. I am sorry for making it seem that way. It was poorly worded to say the least.

You nailed it with the “Its just data, people interpret it differently” and that is the exact opinion I was trying to ask for. I also agree with that completely which is why I find it funny when people try and game both sides of an argument. (you are definitely not one of them)

18. Pescador says:

frjohnk: EBERLEITIS

Inflammation of the EBERLE!

Cranberry juice

19. Pouzar says:

Woodguy:
    Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey3m3 minutes ago

*ahem* 🙂

20. frjohnk says:

Woodguy,

Pouzar,

I dont remember it all, but Im pretty sure you both said he would be good because of Hatcher.

Woodguy tweeted something along the lines ” Hatcher was fine player, an even better coach, Chychryn will do well because of him.”

21. Bag of Pucks says:

Eberle is apparently under the weather, that would be part of the explanation.

Will the damned ‘inflammation of the pubis’ never leave this cursed hockey club alone?

22. Pouzar says:

frjohnk:
    Woodguy,

Pouzar,

Believe Supernova and/or Wheat were high on him as well.

23. Bos8 says:

sidney crosby puck protection. On Google

Came across this via the Dangle radio thingy. Still totally in awe.

Point of interest

24. sliderule says:

Woodguy:
    Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey3m3 minutes ago

Me to

25. theres oil in virginia says:

frjohnk:
    Woodguy,

Pouzar,

That’s exactly how I remember it, too. I barfed when I saw it and screamed aloud, “This time you’ve gone too far!!!” My wife said, “No more Lowetide for a week! And clean up that mess.”

No score through the first eight minutes, quiet start.

27. Pouzar says:

Bakersfield Condors ‏@Condors 22s23 seconds ago
    CONDORS GOAL!!!!! @Dmusil6 from the point off a drop pass from Moroz. It’s 1-0 with 9 min. left in the 1st. #Condorstown

i actually defended corsi here the other day:

Pouzar:
    Bakersfield Condors ‏@Condors22s23 seconds ago

Centre of attention:
    Woodguy,

all good

i get asked to defend “fancy stat” opinion that aren’t mine on twitter often and its a bit of a sore spot for me

31. Pouzar says:

Bakersfield Condors ‏@Condors 33s33 seconds ago
    CORRECTION: @bigBsauce3 on the deflection from @Dmusil6 & Moroz. Still 1-0 Condors with 6 min. to go. #Condorstown

32. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: Sure, Musil from Moroz. Next thing you’ll be telling me the Cubs won the World Series.

hmmmmmm

Now changed to Christoffer (Musil, Moroz). Fourth-line goal.

frjohnk:
    Woodguy,

Pouzar,

You’re on the list

Pouzar: Believe Supernova and/or Wheat were high on him as well.

High end skating is everything for today’s NHL Dman.

Size and skill to go with it too.

2nd highest IPP for a 16 year old Dman since Doughty.

He’ll be something else if he can stay healthy.

Has a good coach too.

36. Pouzar says:

Bakersfield Condors ‏@Condors 48s48 seconds ago
    CONDORS GOAL!!!! @joshcurrie19 from @bigBsauce3 & Moroz. 2-0 with 5 min. left. #Condorstown

Currie (Christoffer, Moroz) 2-0, another 4line goal

Dammit Pouzar! 🙂

39. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: High end skating is everything for today’s NHL Dman.

Size and skill to go with it too.

2nd highest IPP for a 16 year old Dman since Doughty.

He’ll be something else if he can stay healthy.

Has a good coach too.

He led draft eligible d-men in shots by a decent margin too.

40. Pouzar says:

Dammit Pouzar!

Leaving for the bro-inlaws now to watch the last couple innings.

Yer closin this one out!

41. Pescador says:

Woodguy: You’re on the list

Xmas or Murder?
    I sleep with one of each under my pillow.

42. Pescador says:

Pouzar: Leaving for the bro-inlaws now to watch the last couple innings.

Yer closin this one out!

Maybe you’ll be 1st for once LT!
    there will be no further scoring

Pescador: Xmas or Murder?
    I sleep with one of each under my pillow.

I can’t say

Hamilton from Beck, 3-0

Add an assist to Oesterle on the third goal.

Beck (Hamilton) 4-0.

Khaira also gets an assist.

48. OmJo says:

Pescador: Maybe you’ll be 1st for once LT!
    there will be no further scoring

Heh. 😛

Beck again, 5-0 Bakersfield. As I said, no offense.

Newbury scores, 6-0.

51. hags9k says:

Rondo:
    Music

That >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Corey Feldman.

52. Centre of attention says:

Bennick. 7-0 Bako.

53. Spengler says:

Condors trying to outscore the Cubs and the Indians…

54. Ice Sage says:

Congrats to the Chicago Cubs.
    Heck of a game.

If they can do it…

What a game! Cubs Win! Good lord.

56. OF17 says:

I’m not a huge baseball fan, but that was the best game I’ve ever seen. It had it all.

57. Yak Efron says:

Getting a little crazy outside Wrigley.

58. LadiesloveSmid says:

Reinhart not playing tonight in Bako?

Big night for LB, him and Ellis with some strong numbers now.

Khaira racking up points every game, does Drake deserve a shot at 3C more than him?

LadiesloveSmid:
    Reinhart not playing tonight in Bako?

Big night for LB, him and Ellis with some strong numbers now.

Reinhart got hurt in a fight a little while ago.

60. russ99 says:

Kind of weird that the Condors were making up for that last in the AHL goal scoring all in one night.

61. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: Reinhart got hurt in a fight a little while ago.

I’d give him a shot.

Centre of attention: Does Khaira have enough to be a 3rd liner in the NHL or is he strictly 4th line in your opinion?

I’d give him a shot.

63. Yak Efron says:

The woman working dispatch for Chicago PD deserves a medal of some kind for her work tonight.

64. BONE207 says:

Son of a Gun, You!! You predicted that as well. You are a SMRT man, LT.
    Now if you can advise TMac on how to run his lines in NYC, we can get back to Rainbow Rising (which is one of the few albums I have in vinyl.)

65. Professor Q says:

Yak Efron:

Insanity abounds.

66. Yak Efron says:

In the Cubs dressing room, Bill Murray to random media guy –

“Do you recycle?”

“Yes”

“Good, recycle this for me.”

Hands him an empty champagne bottle and walks away.

67. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Lowetide: I think 4line, but he had a very strange progression through his post-draft career so maybe he has another gear.

4th line is probably right, but he’s had such an odd development path it wouldn’t shock me to see his offense come on late. Not drafted to the WHL because he was too small, grows a ton and tears the BCHL a new one, 1 year at a non-major NCAA hockey program, WHL under the worlds most defensively oriented coach, etc. etc.

His scouting report read very very well. Here’s hoping he’s starting to become what we thought he might be.

68. Centre of attention says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

Maybe it comes on late, but bottom 6 is still definitely his ceiling IMO. 3rd line is best case scenario. I wasn’t suggesting putting him with Nuge or something again haha.