G11 2016-17: OILERS AT RANGERS

I cheered rarely for the New York Rangers as a child. No one I knew cheered for them (we were a Leafs family, I became a Bruins fan, and there were lots of Detroit Red Wings fans because Gordie) and their stars looked like friends of my Dad. I did cheer for them in 1972, when the Ratelle Rangers ousted the Montreal Canadiens, clearing the way for the Orr Bruins to win their second Stanley in a three year period.

In modern times, I mostly watch the NYR to witness the greatness of Henrik Lundqvist, and to see what good young players they may trade away in a fit of pique. The Rangers haven’t had a first-round pick since 2012, traded Anthony DuClair even when they knew he was going to be a good NHLer, and haven’t drafted a truly great player since 2000. None of this matters, of course. The Oilers are in tough tonight, this is going to be a tremendous test for them.

WHITE LIGHT WHITE HEAT, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0, goal differential -7
  • Oilers in October 2016: 7-2-0, goal differential +10
  • Oilers in November 2015: 4-7-2
  • Oilers in November 2016: 0-0-1 goal differential -1
  • Oilers after 10, 2015: 3-7-0, goal differential -7
  • Oilers after 10, 2016: 7-2-1, goal differential +9

Game 11 one year ago was possibly my favorite game of the year. Oilers went down early and often as Montreal went ahead 3-0—and then the town team came back and won it 4-3. Leon was fire that night, here is the boxscore. That was a great damned game.

I felt the Oilers were on the verge of losing before the Ottawa game, their play ragged enough to know the winning was coming to an end. On the other hand, the club’s play in Toronto, while far better than the Senators game, does not give me confidence about tonight. If McDavid is running hot, and Talbot is on, then two points are possible.

There is one other factor that could impact tonight for Edmonton: The Nuge. He has yet to score, but is ripping line drives all over the ballpark. When they start falling in, he should have a very nice run.

DEFENSE, AFTER 10

defense-after-10

• All numbers via NaturalStatTrick. A reminder, we are only halfway to 20 games, so making any sweeping statements is unwise and could make you look foolish should the gales of November come early.
  • I bold the HDSC for you kids, but the Corsi numbers have a nice story too. The top pairing is playing the toughs and sawing them off, and that third pairing is doing well. The second pair? Well, Sekera is hanging in there but Kris Russell is losing the Corsi War.
  • Klefbom—Larsson is nice arrows and good vibrations across the universe, and the HDSC column is reaching highs only dogs can hear. I read a few down items about Oscar after the Toronto game, but in a long season every defender is going to have some wobble—and Oscar has been sublime for almost all of these 10 games.
  • Adam Larsson is a tough, useful and effective defender. He is not delivering much offense but for those of us who enjoy our defenders defensive, he has been a very nice addition.
  • Sekera—Russell had a nice early run, but as I mentioned to Jonathan Willis the other day, we may see Brandon Davidson on that second pairing when he returns. Sekera is at 53.66 Corsi for 5×5 percentage without Russell, and 43.75 with. In fairness, the duo has a better Fenwick (47.57) but they are bleeding. We are halfway through the first 20 games, so it is too early to bury this pairing, but as mentioned Brandon Davidson might slide right into the second pairing when he comes back. (Info here).
  • Darnell Nurse and friends are in a good spot (playing against the Matthews and Tkachuk lines) getting secondary opposition and playing them well. He is also posting some crooked numbers (10, 2-2-4) on a defensive group that is delivering more offense than one year ago. Encouraged by progress, early days. Hurry back, Brandon Davidson.

FORWARDS, FIRST 10 GAMES

forwards-after-10

• Pouliot—Nuge—Kassian are showing some really nice numbers in HDSC, the goals will come if they can bite off this much of the offense. This line should break out (regression to the meat! Wheel of meat! regression to the wheel! SOMETHING!!!) and no better time than now. If the team struggles in the first two periods, we may see Leon on RW with RNH.
  • Lucic—McDavid—Eberle is taking some heat, but the overall numbers through 10 games are rock solid to outstanding. I am uncertain what people are expecting from this trio, but in all areas (EV, PP, PK plus all lines thrown together) the three men have scored 12 goals in 10 games. If you believe the last few games are indicative of the rest of this season, I am going to need to see the evidence. If these three have 24 goals after 20 games, this team is going to be looking like a playoff crew.
  • At 5×5, Lucic (1.24), McDavid (2.58), Eberle (1.67) combined with Pouliot (2.16), Nuge (2.30) and Kassian (2.06) have to make hay—or Draisaitl (1.42) has to pass the Nuge line with Maroon (0.92) and Puljujarvi (0.71). Edmonton is caught now, everyone sees the McDavid line coming. Need an answer. Tonight. Source.
  • Leon’s line has some major power but some of it is undeveloped and we need it before Christmas. I am completely divided on Puljujarvi, because the guy is raw in many ways but a substantial player already in others. I don’t know man. Everyone seems so sure about what to do, I just kind of watch in awe of what he is idling in the driveway.

khaira capture

CONDORS FLYING

As we discussed yesterday, Bakersfield badly needed offense—and they got it all in one night, with the top line going off in a big way. Here is the Condors top line as of this morning, with shots on goal included:

1. Jujhar Khaira 4gp, 4-3-7 with 13 SOG
  2. Taylor Beck 6gp, 2-5-7 with 22 SOG
  3. Ryan Hamilton 6gp, 1-5-6 with 20 SOG

Edmonton has a plethora of forwards who will find their way back to the lineup over the coming weeks (Hendricks, Caggiula, Pakarinen) so young Khaira may have to wait until the trade deadline for the call. Seeing these numbers from a prospect in the final year of his entry-level deal is a good thing—the Oilers drafted him in the third round of the 2012 draft, and he appears to be coming into the station right on time.

talbot-capture5

CAM TALBOT

If the Oilers push all year toward the playoffs, we can assume Connor McDavid is near the top of the scoring charts and that Cam Talbot is delivering quality performances in goal. So far this season, he has played all but a few minutes in the Edmonton net, and the numbers are among the best in the NHL in all disciplines (5GP or more category):

• Save Percentage: .932 (No. 7 in the NHL)
  • Even-Strength Save Percentage: .934 (No. 10 in the NHL)
  • Power-Play Save Percentage: .951 (No. 3 in the NHL)

Regression will occur, and the question is how much and when? If Talbot can post above average numbers in goal this season, I believe this team has a path to the second season. This road trip is so important to sustain, and Edmonton does not have anyone pushing him at this time. Stone Alone? Boy howdy.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Darcy McLeod, Because Oilers. Regression as it pertains to Cam Talbot, the Nuge and Kris Russell.
  • Jeff Krushell, Krush Performance. We chatted about extra innings in WS G7 yesterday, and got it! Complete breakdown of an incredible ball game.
  • Don Landry, CFL.ca. The Schenley Awards team nominees have been announced, we will review.
  • Frank Seravalli, TSN. McDavid hits Manhattan, California is Crazy and Claude Giroux is fire.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

466 Responses to "G11 2016-17: OILERS AT RANGERS"

« Older Comments
  1. GMB3 says:

Madtown Oil,

Agreed. A lot more ways the Oil could make you hurt.

2. VanIsleOil says:

blainer:

TMc needs to put JP out on the first PP.

JP in the Ovie spot if they are keeping him up and Sekera. Make it happen coach.

This….. PP needs a shooter.

3. MrEd says:

How come?
    They’re playing from the same hotel!

4. OmJo says:

GMB3,

Yup, we definitely look like a stereotypical Western conference team. Mean and big (for the most part). Well, not so much mean but definitely bigger. But unfortunately you need to give up speed to get bigger.

McDavid might be too fast for this team lol. Of the remaining players who have the best chance to keep up with him… Nuge, Pitlick, and JP?

5. frjohnk says:

Matthew Benning 50
    Darnell Nurse 33.33
    Kris Russell 28.57
    Adam Larsson 20
    Oscar Klefbom 16.67
    Andrej Sekera 14.29

Our top 4 got absolutely owned.

Might be why Nurse and Benning were on the ice late in the game.

Putting two youngsters on the ice that late in a tied game is not unlike bunting with 2 strikes in tied ball game trying a squeeze play.

Huge risk and usually does not work out well.

6. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

frjohnk,

Hahaha I love the Maddon reference! Wasn’t that the single oddest play you’ve seen in a long while?

7. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Ok… now that I’ve cooled down (found a happy place that includes chocolate and ice cream), on the positive side, we are still tops in the west, (very unexpected before season start), and we haven’t lost to a western conference team yet. (Kinda like a reverse oilers from last year).
    Me also thinks that the honeymoon time of Lucic-McD-Ebs is over. As a few people previously stated, other teams know how to play that line now. Definately need a line shake up.

Poo-McD-JP
    Lucic-RNH-Ebs
    Maroon-Drai-Kassian
    Lander-Tube-Pitlick (4th unchanged)

Thoughts?

8. frjohnk says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!: Wasn’t that the single oddest play you’ve seen in a long while?

I was on the phone with my old man talking about how crazy the game was, but my feed is 7 seconds slower ( not sure why) and he cuts me off mid sentence and starts swearing about how stupid Maddon is.

I said “what are you talking…? Oh, you idiot”

Wife thought I called my dad an idiot. I had to point to the TV.

But yeah, it was strange. Glad the Cubs won.

9. Zelepukin says:

Crazy Pedestrian:

Poo-McD-JP
    Lucic-RNH-Ebs
    Maroon-Drai-Kassian
    Lander-Tube-Pitlick (4th unchanged)

Thoughts?

That’s the lineup I want to see as well.

I know some will argue that you’re really taking a risk by putting JP out there against top lines but ask yourself, is Ebs any better away from the puck than JP? Can both of those guys still cycle the puck? I’d say Yes.

Zelepukin: That’s the lineup I want to see as well.

Well crap. Fun game, though.

I saw a lot of “one and done” offensive zone time. No one near a rebound.

I also saw the Rags get multiple shot attempts with lots of traffics per sortie.

I haven’t really like what I’ve seen from this team since WAS.

I’ve liked some individual players, but the team doesn’t seem to have a coherent offensive zone strategy and the dzone break outs make me thirsty.

I thought the score flattered them and Talbot was going to steal a point with a coin flip for another.

12. OmJo says:

JP has looked decent but putting him on the McDavid line is going to make his life a hell of a lot harder.

I still want us to send him to the AHL so maybe I’m biased.

13. GMB3 says:

Lowetide: It is unwise to put JP out with Nuge, but I think the idea of time with McDavid is interesting.

14. frjohnk says:

Zelepukin: I know some will argue that you’re really taking a risk by putting JP out there against top lines

That risk was made when Yak was traded.

Everybody knows that lines will struggle and need to be changed up every once in awhile.

So that trade was made knowing that JP will see some time against top lines

If EBERLE is not firing on all cylinders with McDavid, then the logical choice is JP.

Remember this is the Oilers, they have never thrown a rookie 1 month into his career into the deep end.

So if they do it just this once, Id be OK with it.

15. OmJo says:

Zelepukin,

Ebs might not be better defensively but he’s been playing in the NHL for more than a month and can play against the top defensive players in the league with success.

If JP was producing like Laine or Matthews I’d be all for it. But he’s not, and I think he’ll get severely outmatched against the top players in the league.

16. GMB3 says:

OmJo:
    Zelepukin,

Laine also plays on Winnipegs top line though. Maybe given the opportunity JP starts producing

GMB3: What’s your rationale around not putting him with the Nuge? Because that takes away from our shutdown line?

18. OmJo says:

GMB3,

He definitely could, I just don’t think it’s very likely. He’s been fairly sheltered so far this season I think, throwing him in the deep end seem like… Well… Like a very Oilers thing to do. Sigh.

I’d love for him to prove me wrong 😉

Edit: I would also say Laine is and was more NHL ready than Puljujarvi.

19. JimmyV1965 says:

No offence, but I really think you need to give your head a shake if you think it’s a good idea to put JP out there with McDavid. He’ll get eaten alive. The PP is a different story though. I also think we should stop putting McDavid on a pedestal. He’s looked rather pedestrian these last few games. He also got beat in a foot race by Hayes on one of the goals. Hayes is fast but McDavid should never lose to him in a foot race for the puck. McDavid is a great player but he owns these losses and poor play just as much as anyone.

20. Clay says:

frjohnk: That risk was made when Yak was traded.

So that trade was made knowing that JP will see some time against top lines

So if they do it just this once, Id be OK with it.

I may be interpreting you wrong, but imho JP is better at marking his man after 9 NHL games than Yak was after 4 years. I wouldn’t say Yak would’ve been better to run out against tough opposition.

21. frjohnk says:

Clay:I wouldn’t say Yak would’ve been better to run out against tough opposition.

Its not that Yak would have been better against tougher competition.
    Trading Yak with no other cover is the issue and now we are 10 games in and we are throwing the rookie into the deepend.
    That ( throwing rookies into the deep end) and drafting near the top have been the only guarantees since 2010.

I think JP should be in the NHL, but only to play softer minutes. 3rd line with Draisaitl is perfect with some PP time.

22. flyfish1168 says:

Jesse had another good game. I like his one timer. I would out say he has the best one timer on the Oilers now. Jordan doesn’t seem to have that in his tool box. Can’t even remember the last time he even attempted one.

23. GMB3 says:

Lowetide: It takes away from Todd McLellan’s ability to deploy the Nuge line against any opponent he deems worthy. It basically makes that line another soft minutes line.

24. Klima's_Bucket says:

Woodguy: the dzone break outs make me thirsty.

First it was pretzels, now it’s Dzone break outs. What next?

GMB3: I understand that rationale but IMO Nuge is our second best forward in the offensive zone and I wouldn’t mind seeing him with one more player with some offensive acumen.

Nuge needs to do the big work, until they acquire another center. Ideally, you have have that center also able to play RW with Nuge, and slide down or up with LD being other other piece. PC needs to add some, suspect he knew it before the Ottawa game and he must really know it now. Kassian can slide down to 4R.

26. Bag of Pucks says:

They say every rookie in the lineup costs you a game in the standings. I guess Benning took his turn tonight.

Kind of hard to believe that TMac thought Benning and Eberle against Nash was a good idea with under two minutes left.

This team is wildly inconsistent but the goaltender is scorching. A more opportunistic coach would steal some of these points.

Gord I miss the days when Slats knew exactly who to plug into a dormant line to give it life.

27. Chachi says:

St. Louis destroyed tonight by Dallas. Yakupov played just over 7 minutes and had one shot.
    Versteeg injured early in the Flames game, won’t return tonight. Kind of a rough night for the Oilers’ hypothetical RW depth.

28. meanashell11 says:

Ok, I was at the game. Ugh…. Another pain in the ass. Is it too much to ask that once every couple of years I have a good time at MSG???

So the good: Nuge, was solid. You can tell Tmac trusts him. Maroon, the only guy who threw a check. Other than Pitlick….. JP, made some small mistakes but showed well. His speed on that rush coming right at me was incredible. Pitlick, loved him, he did everything a 4th liner is expected to do. Nurse, what a stud. The only guy who showed any aggression tonight other than Larsson. Larsson and Klef looked good. Talbot gave them a chance. Benning, did not know what to expect, he held his own and at times force the issue, cannot complain.

Leon had a good game but an interesting aside. During the warm up, he was the last Oiler on the ice. Spent time trying moves, hitting cross bars, watching what the Rags were up to. As soon as the last Rag left the ice, he fished a puck out of the net and fired it 200 feet feet into the Rag net. The crowd made a bit of a complaint but he skated to the door and left. I like the attitude.

The bad: God, was Lucic bad tonight. McDavid sucked. I swear he looked liked Hall tonight trying to force things all on his own. The zone entrance down the right wing sucked. The PP sucked. Sekera, not sure what was up but there were a ton of people in one section wearing his jersey. He sucked………

Overall, it looked like a few cared and the rest were just there for a good time. The first line needs some time away from each other. Lucic skated in circles and when there was any rough stuff, he basically went to the bench. Very disappointing.

One final point, there were a lot of Oiler fans there and a lot at the warm up.
    There was one young girl with a sign praising the Oilers and asking for a puck right on the glass. They could not have missed her. No puck….. Ryan Smyth would have made that right. Not sure why the “new Oilers” did not respect that fan.

29. Zelepukin says:

JimmyV1965:
    No offence, but I really think you need to give your head a shake if you think it’s a good idea to put JP out there with McDavid. He’ll get eaten alive. The PP is a different story though. I also think we should stop putting McDavid on a pedestal. He’s looked rather pedestrian these last few games.He also got beat in a foot race by Hayes on one of the goals.Hayes is fast but McDavid should never lose to him in a foot race for the puck.McDavid is a great player but he owns these losses and poor play just as much as anyone.

30. pocession charge says:

JimmyV1965:

Get yer goddamn hands off that pedastal. We’ll give it up when we’re good and ready.

31. Bruce McCurdy says:

Missed the game but saw the replay the GWG &’was shaking my head in dismay at seeing the two youngest/least experienced d-men on the team matched up against Zuccarello-Stepan-Nash in the last 90 seconds. Didn’t help that both guys played it about as badly as possible with Benning fumbling & turning the puck over about 60 feet closer to his own goal than he first took possession of it &’Nurse deciding to abandon the net front to cover the same frigging corner. Just a brutal looking sequence.

That said I didn’t see it in its proper context but just seeing that replay on NHL.com had me swearing a blue streak at McLellan & Johnson just as much as at Benning & Nurse.

Then I see in the summary the empty netter just 17 seconds later. The Oilers are the worst goalie-pulled team I have ever seen. It’s been two years since the last time they tied a game with their goalie on the bench, & all too often the ENGA just takes a few seconds like it did again tonight.

3 blown leads, then a blown tie at the tail end of regulation. If this team is serious about contending for the playoffs they gotta make this kind of shit disappear. letting one get away late in regulation under the Bettman Point regime is criminal.

32. LadiesloveSmid says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    After having to watch 2.5 hours of that hot garbage, I can only imagine the flames will win tonight as a cherry on top

2-0 flames after 2!

33. Chachi says:

meanashell11:

One final point, there were a lot of Oiler fans there and a lot at the warm up.There was one young girl witha sign praising the Oilers and asking for a puck right on the glass. They could not have missed her. No puck….. Ryan Smyth would have made that right. Not sure why the “new Oilers” did not respect that fan.

In Toronto they filmed McDavid flipping a puck over the glass to at least one young oilers fan. Quite the jump to make from missing a fan with a sign and not respecting them.

34. stevezie says:

frjohnk,

You’re just right about everything lately.

35. JimmyV1965 says:

Zelepukin: Again, how exactly will he be eaten alive? What is Ebs doing defensively that you think JP can’t do? McD drives that line 100% and attracts 100% of the top defender’s attention. For several games now we’ve seen no offense from that line that isn’t started or finished with McD. Every shift from that line is basically a waste if McD doesn’t gain possession and don’t tell me there isn’t a single one of us that isn’t thinking, pass it to McD the moment we see that line on the ice.

I don’t even know how to respond to this. After watching this team for the last decade, you still think it’s okay to put a teenager on the first line. If you’re hell bent on taking Ebs off the line, maybe put Kassian there, but not a kid. The new whipping boy is Ebs I guess. It gets a little tiring hearing all this criticism of Ebs when Lucic is at least as bad, if not worse. McDavid hasn’t exactly been lighting it up either. Lots of defensive gaffes there too.

36. Zelepukin says:

JimmyV1965: I don’t even know how to respond to this. After watching this team for the last decade, you still think it’s okay to put a teenager on the first line.If you’re hell bent on taking Ebs off the line,maybe put Kassian there, but not a kid. The new whipping boy is Ebs I guess. It gets a little tiring hearing all this criticism of Ebs when Lucic is at least as bad, if not worse. McDavid hasn’texactly been lighting it up either. Lots of defensive gaffes there too.

37. Zelepukin says:

Lucic-RNH-Ebs
    Poo-McD-JP
    Maroon-Drai-Kassian
    Lander-Tube-Pitlick

I would encourage everyone to be respectful, there is nothing that can be solved by increasing rage in each post. Believe me. I have tried it.

39. Numenius says:

Lander only had 2 seconds of PP time and it was enough to generate a goal.

I’d say it’d be worth trying him out there again.

40. OmJo says:

Chachi,

On the plus side for Yak, um… He was an even player? That counts for… Well, absolutely nothing.

Those two didn’t do great. But! Parenteau scored his 4th goal of the season. He has more than Eberle now, in only 9 games.

41. OmJo says:

Numenius,

If we are so desperate to have Draisaitl at RW, why not stop waiting for our rookie LW to get healthy and try Lander for a game at 3C? Just to see what happens, because I think he’s been playing quite well.

42. Chachi says:

OmJo:
    Chachi,

Yeah, seems like Parenteau would have been a good pick-up. Makes one wonder what the hell is wrong with him that makes teams want to dump him every year.

43. frjohnk says:

While he had a few wobbly moments, I can see there is a player in Benning.

Seems confident with puck and not scared to make plays.

Needs work though but That was a good signing.

44. JimmyV1965 says:

Zelepukin: We can put Nuge on the first line with Lucic and Ebs and then have McD with Puj and Pou. So this solves your ‘issues’:

Lucic-RNH-Ebs
    Poo-McD-JP
    Maroon-Drai-Kassian
    Lander-Tube-Pitlick

The first line is any line with McDavid. The RNH line is the one TMac uses to match up against the best players on the other team. JP should not be on either of those lines this year. The PP is where we should capitalize on his offence. That will be my last comment on the issue LT.

Dylan Wells won again tonight, .925SP is No. 2 in the OHL.

46. Professor Q says:

Zelepukin: Well by logic of no teenagers on the first line and the defensive gaffes, maybe we should take McDavid off the first line? I guess that solves both of our issues doesn’t it.

Technically McDavid is on the 2nd line already, with Nuge on the 1st, non?

47. Chachi says:

Dylan Wells won again tonight, .925SP is No. 2 in the OHL.

48. Pescador says:

Chachi: Yeah, seems like Parenteau would have been a good pick-up. Makes one wonder what the hell is wrong with him that makesteams want to dump him every year.

It’s that first name: P.A. – I don’t trust it,
    it’s like he got something to hide.

49. Pescador says:

Chachi: I am very happy for him. He seemed genuinely excited when the Oilers picked him. I hope he keeps it up.

Good stuff, we need good prospect goalies. They take like 17 years to develop.
    Voodoo mixed with black magic.
    Go Dylan!

50. McSorley33 says:

frjohnk,

Agreed….x 1,0000000 about our top 4.

Wow.

At some point, the anchor has to come off McDavid.

51. Gerta Rauss says:

McLellan post game

On Puljujarvi

He’s getting better every night,he’s fitting in more and more,feeling comfortable about playing in any situation,I think there’s been real growth in his game, and we’re happy for him

52. GMB3 says:

by merit I think Maroon has played really solid hockey and should get another go with McD. That being said I think that line is close to breaking out. It seems like they can generate the best offensive zone time off the cycle but just are quite generating chances yet.

53. OF17 says:

I think sometimes we forget just how inexperienced Klefbom is. He’s worn the goat horns on more than a couple goals in recent games. He missed his man on the Hoffman goal, and then tonight he looked like an inexperienced Smid losing the weak side of the net on the Hayes goal. Kadri’s first goal on Tuesday came off a weak clearing attempt by Oscar. These are mistakes made by inexperienced defensemen. I’m sure Klefbom will polish them as time goes by, but they’re costing us games right now.

54. OF17 says:

Problem I have with that is it’s serving our 18 year old 20 minutes a night of the NHL’s best. He’s been great, and McDavid needs a linemate like him, but I don’t think it’s wise to make the switch now with Puljujarvi’s confidence in the kindling stage. Reminds me of how impressed we all were with Nurse’s game last year before he got put with Sekera and started to drown.

And therein lies the true folly behind Chiarelli’s handling of the RW this offseason. The options are either Eberle, an 18 year old not ready for McDavid minutes, or a group of substandard options in Kassian, Pitlick, and Slepyshev. Not that I have anything against those guys, but their role is not to cash on McDavid’s brilliance. I wish Matt Read weren’t off to such a hot start. With his speed and versatility, he’d be a good option to try on McDavid’s wing.

55. GMB3 says:

What about trying Slepyshev with McD then?

56. kinger_OIL says:

– A few posters have picked up on what I identified when at the Leaf game: our coach seems to put out weird line combo’s/match-ups. Tells me that he doesn’t still have trust in some guys

– And again, I didn’t see Nurse Benning as an NHL D pairing: and not last night either. One, but not both, and not together… When is Davidson coming back? I prefer Nurse Gryba 13 minutes

– Plus why the panic? We weren’t as good as our 7-1 start, and we are sure to lose some games. This isn’t a playoff team yet

57. Yeti says:

OmJo: try Lander for a game at 3C? Just to see what happens, because I think he’s been playing quite well.

I agree with the sentiment. That said, the worry would be that he’s been playing quite well precisely because he’s on the fourth line with limited responsibility. That’s where he can play quite well. 3C? Yikes.

58. blainer says:

Well said LT.

We should expect these kinds of games. We are on a very hard road trip. There are 8 teams in the league right now with a winning record on the road. We are one of them.

There are gonna be losses and we are gonna get out coached due to line matching with the last change etc.

I am still predicting we win our division. I have to confess though.. I did yell at the TV a couple of times last night.

59. PhrankLee says:

1:21 away from stealing a point.

God almighty this team has actually improved.

Need one regulation win on the road to right the ship entirely.

60. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I only got to watch the last 3 minutes of this game.

I feel like the result is my fault.

Sorry.

61. Jethro Tull says:

Holy crap, Chicken Littles. The Rangers are one of the best in the east. They stole two points from us. We just couldn’t play with the lead, then two uncharacteristically bad plays from veterans (Nuge and Looch) did us in. The arrogance that we should not only win every game, but dominate the stats, and in one of the best team’s in the league’s own barn is disheartening. You guys are better.

Guys, this time even two years ago, I would have given anything to just lose by one in regulation in a close game to a team like the Rangers, let alone lead three times, let alone expect to win. (I’m not counting the empty netter.)

This is a much better team, playing much better hockey. They are though, still wet behind the ears.
    Christ on a bike, 7-3-1. Some good earned wins with one thoroughly deserved loss.

If some of you are ansti in your pantsies after 11 games, I suggest a vacation.

FWIW, Phranklee’s last post was the most sensible and balanced of the night.

62. Pescador says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    I only got to watch the last 3 minutes of this game.

I feel like the result is my fault.

Sorry.

Apology accepted, carry on

63. Pouzar says:

OmJo: Edit: I would also say Laine is and was more NHL ready than Puljujarvi.

I wouldn’t say that necessarily. Laine has an elite shot. He is producing goals on PP. A great weapon to have with the man advantage. But he is getting his ass handed to him possession wise. In 11 games he has exactly 2 games over 50% CF. The last 5 games he’s been under 50% ( with increased comp I suspect). He was a team low 26.09% last night. I think he is overmatched 5on5 especially in his current role. JP actually has more HDCF in less games than Laine which kind of matches my eye in limited viewings of Laine. He doesn’t seem to create much 5on5 at this point which is not to be expected playing this high in the lineup.

64. Oddspell says:

Jethro Tull,

I agree with you for the most part, but by my eye, bad defensive brain farts are getting less and less uncharacteristic for Looch.

65. rickithebear says:

CHI RD 1-2
    math says possible 10-11 pts from next 9 gm’s
    25/40 = 102 pt season pace
    26/40 = 106 pt Season pace

66. Pouzar says:

Jethro Tull:
    Holy crap, Chicken Littles. The Rangers are one of the best in the east. They stole two points from us.We just couldn’t play with the lead, then two uncharacteristically bad plays from veterans (Nuge and Looch) did us in. The arrogance that we should not only win every game, but dominate the stats, and in one of the best team’s in the league’s own barn is disheartening. You guys are better.

If some of you are ansti in your pantsies after 11 games, I suggest a vacation.

FWIW, Phranklee’s last post was the most sensible and balanced of the night.

You da man…even with the first 3 letters of yer name!

« Older Comments