G13 2016-17 OILERS AT RED WINGS

Edmonton Oilers fans are on pins and needles with each passing day, and I think that may be impacting their ability to enjoy these games. The journey is the thing, and robbing yourself of that joy is a damned shame. You only get one chance at witnessing the turn north, don’t let someone on twitter make you feel this team is less than worthy. If you are an Oilers fan, it is okay to smile today, this morning. You can litigate the Hall trade, the Reinhart trade and make that the hill you die on, but you will be missing the show. Does that make sense to you? Smile, for Christ sake.

DETROIT WHEELS, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0, goal differential -7
  • Oilers in October 2016: 7-2-0, goal differential +10
  • Oilers in November 2015: 4-7-2
  • Oilers in November 2016: 1-1-1 goal differential -3
  • Oilers after 12, 2015: 4-8-0, goal differential -7
  • Oilers after 12, 2016: 8-3-1, goal differential +7

The October sky was beautiful, November’s forecast is still a mystery. I have stated the reasonable expectation would be 15 points in 15 games, and so far the club has three points in three games. A year ago, G13 was a 4-2 win over the Flyers, with the Nuge, Taylor Hall and Leon Draisaitl driving results. Today’s game should be considered a schedule loss for Edmonton (btb on the road) but we hope for the best, even as we acknowledge history and the fact this is not a powerhouse team.

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

defense-last-night

• Nurse—Gryba did good work at 5×5, playing 17:34 (19-14 Corsi 5×5) and four shots, 10 hits and some blocked shots. Nurse was 5-6 against Tavares and 9-5 against Chimera. Another strong performance from this pairing. You can actually see Nurse emerging now, he engages offensively at appropriate times, closes gaps in a heartbeat, and shuts down sorties with aplomb. Music!
  • Klefbom—Larsson went 9-9 in 13:16 together, and recovered from a ghastly first shift. Oilers have to get off to better starts, it is a thing. Went 3-2 against Tavares but 1-6 against Prince, who was on the 4line. That Prince line with Cizikas and Kulemin was pretty effective. I like this pairing, they were hit and miss last night and need to find the consistency of October.
  • Sekera—Benning did not do well by the Corsi, but the kid Benning had two assists. Interesting. The pairing was 8-15 in 10:19 together (that is lower than Russell-Sekera), 6-7 against the Strome line and 2-6 against the Prince line. Sekera’s possession number is officially underwater, this second pairing is in peril.
  • Dillon Simpson got a recall to the show tonight, his first. He will be in Detroit tomorrow, no idea if he plays.
  • All numbers NaturalStatTrick.

FORWARDS, LAST NIGHT

forwards-last-night

• Jesse Puljujarvi looked good early before leaving on what I felt was a dirty hit.
  • Anton Lander had five hits and a takeaway, and was 4-1 in 2:13 with Nuge. Solid on the PK, too.
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins had seven shot attempts, but none found the mark. Went 8-6 with Pouliot in 10:15, I am disappointed these two mentors didn’t get an entire game with JP.
  • Benoit Pouliot was solid with RNH, and had a takeaway. Had some chances, but nothing major.
  • Connor McDavid had six shots and 10 total shot attempts. Went 22-18 in 15:09 with Maroon and Eberle, the line looked effective to me.
  • Jordan Eberle had an assist, two shots on goal, drew a penalty and had a generally effective game on the McDavid line. Went 11-6 against Chimera, 6-4 against Tavares. Fans don’t like him, I think he is as he has always been: A talented, incomplete player.
  • Patrick Maroon had a strong night, including a goal and an assist. He does seem to have some extra chemistry with McDavid, may be less is more—like I would know.
  • Tyler Pitlick stepped up after the JP injury, went 4-10 with Leon and 2-0 with Nuge, 1-1 with McDavid. I like his game, but he doesn’t have a consistent offensive presence.
  • Milan Lucic scored a huge goal on the power play, but struggled with Leon (7-14) against mostly John Tavares (4-7). Cal Clutterbuck’s line (1-6) also did well. Lucic’s star has faded badly among Oilers fans in recent days, I remain onside with the big man and his skills—while being aware of a flagging 5×5/60. Wonderful passer and a brute to boot. Possession number over 50 percent and on pace for 55 points, he is having an impact despite the poor even-strength scoring total. Analytics folks are often accused of being Vulcans, but for me that group is reading Lucic right and fans are overreacting to this player. I am onside with being critical of Lucic (he was poor for several games) and am aware of his skating deficiencies and his 5×5. I would argue he is contributing and that his value has been on display in most games.
  • Leon Draisaitl scored a nice goal, had two takeaways and a blocked shot. I thought it was one of his better games of the year, despite the Corsi and HDSCs.
  • Mark Letestu was 78 percent on the dot (!!) scored the winner in the shootout. He is a nice player. This line got fed by the Islanders fourth line, a trio that inexplicably housed Shane Prince.
  • Taylor Beck was called up this morning, meaning we are likely to see him and Anton Slepyshev step in for Jesse Puljujarvi and Zack Kassian.

simpson williams

Photo by Mark Williams

TOTAL RECALLS

The Oilers recalled Dillon Simpson and Taylor Beck last night, as several road warriors have picked up some injuries. Kris Russell did not play against the Islanders, plus Jesse Puljujarvi and Zack Kassian went down before playing five minutes in Brooklyn. Beck seems a slam dunk to play tonight, but Simpson—who has not played an NHL game—is less likely to play based on numbers. Beck is inside the top 10 in AHL scoring (8gp, 3-9-12) and Simpson was referred to as the most consistent defender by coach Gerry Fleming last year. I projected Simpson to play four games in my RE, and Beck to play 10 games.

EVEN-STRENGTH SCORING-DEFENSE

Numbers via Corsica.Hockey and are 5×5/60:

1. Kris Russell 0.97
  2. Andrej Sekera 0.96
  3. Darnell Nurse 0.68
  4. Oscar Klefbom 0.60
  5. Adam Larsson 0.58
  6. Eric Gryba 0.00

This is a pretty good set of numbers, Russell and Sekera have been excellent in this area and 3-5 are solid if unspectacular. Gryba is Gryba.

EVEN-STRENGTH SCORING-FORWARDS

1. Tyler Pitlick 2.51
  2. Mark Letestu 2.31
  3. Anton Lander 2.18
  4. Connor McDavid 2.17
  5. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 1.96
  6. Zack Kassian 1.84
  7. Benoit Pouliot 1.80
  8. Patrick Maroon 1.52
  9. Jordan Eberle 1.38
  10. Jesse Puljujarvi 1.21
  11. Leon Draisaitl 1.17
  12. Milan Lucic 1.05

The 4line has been very good this season, giving Edmonton legit secondary scoring in several games. McDavid has performed well so far, but is miles from last season’s (2.77) total. That is probably one reason for the line shuffle, as you can see Lucic and Eberle are well below expectations.

RNH is solid, as are linemates Benoit Pouliot and Zack Kassian. Patrick Maroon leads the Leon-JP line, and that is a group who should be pushing—they face the soft parade. Another way of looking at this is via me RE and by line:

• McDavid 1line: Projected 82 goals in 82 games, currently 13 goals in 12 games (ahead of the projection).
  • Nuge 2line: Projected 48 goals in 82 games, currently six goals in 12 games (that is on par).
  • Draisaitl 3line: Projected 41 goals in 82 games, currently eight goals in 12 games (ahead of the projection).
  • Letestu 4line: Projected 18 goals in 82 games, currently six goals in 12 games (ahead of the projection).

jp

PULJUJARVI?

• Coach McLellan says Puljujarvi ‘is sore’ & the injury is ”more charley horse”. Source

The tweet also says the team is unsure of the rookie’s status for today’s game, but the recall of Beck is perhaps a tell. JP looked like he was going to wheel all night in the early moments of the game, but the hit put things away. Too bad, the young Finn is a fun player to watch.

Remember: Schedule loss, but if this team could pull out a win, November could hold out some real promise. Our line in the sand is a point per game, a win today puts the team ahead of the pace. We wait.

460 Responses to "G13 2016-17 OILERS AT RED WINGS"

« Older Comments
  1. JDï™ says:

Pouzar: Should I be worried?

Are you overly sensitive to beard burn?

2. Wolfie says:

So that was as well managed, played and executed road game I’ve seen the Oilers play since the teams that won when they wanted to.

I think JP could probably have played tonight but it was wise to keep him out and let him rest in a game with low chance of winning. I think I might have given Talbot a night off earlier… Possibly the Toronto game given the fact his mind couldn’t possibly be focused… (first time away from the twins). Although a game in Toronto is must play for all Ontario boys. Would love to know TMac’s thoughts on his goalie decisions.

That extra rest for JP lowers his injury risk… I think the Oilers trust their depth more this year. In fairness the bottom of the order has really come through early this year. Unless the Oilers get extremely unlucky I don’t think you’ll see many long term injuries to any of the key players.

When McDavid catches fire this team will be Hell on Wheels.

Slepy came in and didn’t look out of place. Pitlick finding ways to chip in…

We were all hoping for the best, expecting the worst… Because Oilers. Because Oilers?!?

35-32 on the Corgis after two. I do not think the scoring is finished in this game.

At this point I’ll assume you muttered under your breath “book it”

4. treevojo says:

If Nurse progresses into the best all around defenseman on this team by game 82 how good is the left side of this defense?

Still early days but it seems his brain and body are catching up to hiis competiveness and athleticism.

He hasn’t nearly filled out his frame but he is already dominating people in the defensive zone physically.

He is leading oilers defense in points with very limited pp time.

After his rookie season he realized there was certain aspects of the game he needed to hone in on. He hired a skills coach himself. Tried different sticks and curves.

Nurse certainly doesn’t come acrossed as an athlete that is content with staying mediocre.

Hopefully we don’t trade him and Jesse Poo for Overhardt’s southern primmadonna and Claude’s son.

We may never get another contract signed if that were the case.

5. Frank the dog says:

Does anybody here smell a CMD sophomore slump?
    Secondly, does anyone else think our injuries are already excessive?

Georges:
    Woodguy,

The split half technique and the even-odd technique do the same thing that JLikens did. They don’t separate games into those that have happened and those that have yet to be played. That’s the setup for prediction. You don’t get to sample from the games you’re predicting. You don’t get to sample from games where the team is significantly different due to injuries than the team has been up to now.

I’m not denying that there will be a correlation between the first N games and the remaining games. When I did the regression across seasons (actually using the past to predict the future), there was usually a statistically significant relationship between shot metrics in the previous season and points per game in this season. Not always, and not that strong (often low to mid-20s in adjusted r^2), but it was there. So I think it’s reasonable to expect the effect to be there in the season as well.

I don’t have access to in-season shot metric data. I’m curious to see what the r^2 numbers are when you try to predict as opposed to test for association.

There’s lots of work that’s been done on this.

If you google it, there are boatloads of links and you’ll find lots of links inside of the links.

I can’t be your answer monkey, sorry.

I’ll help get you links when I can, but I can’t do it on demand and I found all this stuff by googling it when I was interested and all the work was there.

I’m not a fancystats evangelist in that its not up to me to defend them or give support to them because I really don’t care if anyone else agrees with them.

The proofs were done a long time ago and we moved on.

I don’t have all the proofs you are looking for handy, but I know they are there.

Sometimes (like when VIc found a huge (>95%) correlations between zone time (when the NHL published it) and corsi) those posts are gone because the sites are gone, but enough people remember them.

Good hunting!

7. Chachi says:

Frank the dog:
    Does anybody here smell a CMD sophomore slump?
    Secondly, does anyone else think our injuries are already excessive?

Re the injuries, yep, just ridiculous, again.
    Re the sophmore slump, hahhaahahahahahahahah… hahahahahahahahahah

Oilspill:
    I looked at GA/60 on 2 sites and they were way different. The accuracy of data capture is sometimes in error because you don’t see changes.

Usually small differences in the data are the difference between 5v5, 4v4, all EV, 6v5 and Empty net.

By the end of the season they don’t really matter unless you look at 5v5 then All EV. There is enough 4v4 for a difference, although it won’t be much.

9. marconiuse says:

Hey LT,
    Just thought you might want to know: I’m having trouble accessing the thread comments. I don’t know if the following will help you troubleshoot at all, but I came on at about 7:30 and tried to read through and can’t get at the “older comments.” I’ve tried it across mobile/tablet/pc and have the same problem everywhere using 2 different browsers (Chrome & Opera)

10. spoiler says:

Wolfie,

Depth IMHO has improved greatly under Chia.

Gustavsson isn’t loved, but he’s an experienced, mature player and that has value, especially with long layoffs and a young team in front of you. TMac touched on this post-game.

Having guys like Beck waiting on the farm (loved this acquisition from moment one), who have NHL game experience are great pickups.

Aging the system, and making up for traded draft picks with the college signings is another astute strategy.

They made smart decisions with the existing pool on who they kept, like Pitlick.

And then I like the smart tactical decisions too… TMac giving Gus the start in a building he knows, against an organization he knows–and didn’t re-sign him… pride game.

And we have a team that seems to follow the game plan. Could we make that claim before? Does having guys like Looch and McD keep everyone honest?

11. spoiler says:

marconiuse:
    Hey LT,

Is that still happening with you signed in? I usually go through those exact symptoms when I’m not.

12. marconiuse says:

spoiler,

That totally fixed it, I didn’t sign in until I left the comment. Thanks for that!

13. Centre of attention says:

“If that pass gets knocked down or picked off, we’re having a debate about why I didn’t shoot. Luckily, it worked out.” — Oilers captain Connor McDavid on his assist on Ryan Nugent-Hopkins’ game-winning goal

Acumen:
    Can we ease off a bit in Gustavsson after this? Liked the signing when it happened and didn’t quite understand the vitriol. He was the goods today!

Perfect road game, damn near miraculous considering the injuries and scheduling aspect. Draisaitl line looked amazing and the PP hit again. Mile wide smiles.

2 things;

1) 1 game doesn’t erase 174 NHL game history

2) I don’t think anyone is on Gustavsson. When he plays for the Oilers we cheer for him. People are on Chiarelli for not aiming higher.

Gordies Elbow:
    Alpine,

Pitlick hits hard, goes to the right places, and can cover a position.

He might not be a Pisani, but he could be a Glencross.

ooooh

I got tingles reading that

16. theDjdj says:

Centre of attention:

AKA which one of us is the top of league scoring?

Oilspill:

Post the numbers and where each number came from please.

It’s not unheard-of.

Post them please so they can be fixed if there is an error.

18. treevojo says:

PROUD FATHERLY MOMENT

live in Nova Scotia and took kids to first oilers games last January in Florida.

Caught both games but was fortunate enough to be at same hotel as oilers in sunrise.

My son was lucky enough to get picture and his Xmas mcdavid jersey signed from mcdavid.

Up until tonight I had no idea where that jersey was buried. It is now hanging proudly on his wall along with all the other paraphanalia I have been buying him since he was born. As I looked at him proudly ready to tuck him in he asked if he could get an oilers bed spread for Xmas.

The times are a changing.

Ps. I had a official oiler jersey with no name or number that I could basically turn into any jersey and get anyone of the oilers to sign when I was there.

I asked for one signature.

That’s right

DARNELL NURSE

KIDS A BEAST

sliderule:
    The wings after game show was really high on the monster.

“Best backup in NHL.Only problem is injury prone or wings would have resigned.”

Food for thought for those who critizise Chia for not having a better signing.

20. Georges says:

Woodguy,

It sounds like you think I’m being that guy so I’ll drop it.

It’s funner talking and thinking hockey than arguing numbers.

For instance, most teams use 3 or 4 defensemen on their two power play units. We only use 2. Top tier defensemen generate higher than average offense and they make an impact on the power play. They have some attack in their game. That attack instinct (keeping pucks in, getting pucks through, reading the play, coming off the point) helps their teams not just on the scoring side of the box score but also on the possession side.

By using only 1 defenseman on each pp unit, we’re limiting the opportunity to develop the attack skill in our defenders. Without that skill, we’ll never post elite possession numbers and we’ll have to find some other path to a championship than that taken by recent Cup winners.

Thoughts?

treevojo:
    PROUD FATHERLY MOMENT

The times are a changing.

I asked for one signature.

That’s right

DARNELL NURSE

KIDS A BEAST

Haha! Excellent!

22. oilersfan says:

I was wondering on behalf of Oilers fans here if Cameron would agree to a trade Pitlick for Monahan? They have the exact same stats except Monahan is -9 and Pitlick is plus 1. Also, it is obvious to all non flames fans that Monahan is, was, and always will be zoomed by Johnny Hobbit. Maybe the Flames would need to eat some salary and add a second round pick to even out the trade?

What are your thoughts ?

Woodguy: At this point I’ll assume you muttered under your breath “book it”

It’s a gift.

24. geowal says:

Georges: For instance, most teams use 3 or 4 defensemen on their two power play units. We only use 2.

Is this actually true though? I have the impression that 1) 2 dman pp units are becoming scarce, and 2) those that use 3 dman have the 2 loaded on their 2nd unit, not first, implying that it is a lack of pp quality forwards preventing a 4 fwd pp rather than lack of D preventing 2 2dman units.

Apologies if you already posted on this but I did not notice it in the thread.

25. unca miltie says:

Do we get two oiler wins and two flame losses on the same weekend?

26. flyfish1168 says:

Cogs scores against them phlegms. Always like him.
    What a weekend Oils win back to back, phlegms going to lose back to back.

27. Gordies Elbow says:

oilersfan,

I wouldn’t troll Cameron – he’s generally a good guy (Flames fan aside,)

Monahan is likely a combination of coaching and poor luck, leading to poor play.

Four goals in 13 games, no assists, and -10.

He should be a better player than that.

28. treevojo says:

Where I live

Adults
    40% Toronto
    40% Montreal
    10% Boston
    10% misc

<18
    30% Toronto
    30% Montreal
    30% Pittsburgh
    10% misc

On my sons peewee team this year 5 out of the 15 players fathers are oilers fans.
    But I am still giving credit with this years teams results for my son coming out of the closet.

29. oilersfan says:

Gordies Elbow,

How can an oilers fan troll a flames troll on an oilers blog?

30. treevojo says:

oilersfan,

Ohhhhhhh. Cameron does not troll. Just ask him?

31. treevojo says:

treevojo,

But make sure to do it politely or officer 17 will be questioning your tone

32. Georges says:

geowal,

I’m using dailyfaceoff.com If it’s wrong, I’m wrong.

I’ll list the 4 point men on recent Cup winners and the top 10 even strength CF% teams last year, the first pairing first.

Kings (3): Doughty, Martinez, Muzzin, Pearson
    Penguins (3): Letang, Kessel, Daley, Schultz
    Hawks (4): Keith, Seabrook, Forsling, Campbell
    Stars (3): Seguin, Klingberg, Jordie Benn, Hamhuis
    Preds (4): Josi, Ekholm, Ellis, Subban
    Ducks (4): Fowler, Vatanen, Theodore, Bieksa
    Lightning (2): Stamkos, Stralman, Hedman, Filppula
    Blues (3): Shattenkirk, Steen, Pietrangelo, Parayko
    Wings (2): Kronwall, Green, Smith, Larkin
    Sharks (3): Pavelski, Burns, Vlasic, Schlemko
    Habs (4): Petry, Weber, Markov, Beaulieu

33. dangilitis says:

I take your points, LT, about having difficulty enjoying the Oilers’ success. I remain conflicted for many of the reasons that smarter minds have highlighted. Best way of describing this feeling is that it would be very bizarre to watch the McDavid-era Oilers make the playoffs by succeeding at Coyotes style hockey, but this may be the way they are heading and I would focus my happiness on the playoff part of the equation should this be the case.

Most important, I can’t remember the last time I have felt so calm watching this team play with a lead, even a close one. I don’t know if that’s D depth, more veteran/defensively responsible forward support, generally consistent goaltending, or better coaching. I believe, given the analytics and observations available, that its a bit of each of the above. In particular, however, would tip hat to Todd for the system he’s been able to employ, because I think if they can continue to limit chances they have a good chance of remaining .500 (Bettman pts included) or above the rest of the way – that’s huge progress.

Residual concerns:
    – McDavid needing to adapt to becoming an intense focus of opponents’ game plans, far moreso than last year – shooting when able, and finding open space when quadruple-teamed (passing or skating)
    – F injuries messing with potential for line chemistry. Really liked the potential lines for NYI game before injuries hit.
    – Lack of primary scoring outside of McDavid. Secondary scoring, for record, has been very good but likely unsustainable. Cogliano just scored goal #5, which is equal to Eberle (or Draisaitl) + RNH.

Will definitely applaud this start, though!

34. dustrock says:

LT glad to say I was wrong about Pitlick. Thought he had the speed and the banger game, thought he had zero NHl quality offence to him. Maybe it’s sheer confidence but this is the first year I’ve seen him show NHL skill. That goal was quality and Crosby scored one like it last night.

This Oiler team is now a team that 24 hours ago lost 2 of its top 3 RWs in-game, was down 2-0 early, but battled back twice to win in a shootout against the Islanders.

Then they play less than 24 hours later with a couple of call-ups and their wacky backup goaltender, in Joe Louis Arena, which may as well have a sign saying “Abandon All Hope All Ye Oilers Fans Who Enter Here”, and they win a gritty shutdown road game 2-1.

It’s been a nice weekend.

Hat tip to Larsson in the last 5 minutes as well, that guy did not want to lose the game.

35. Gordies Elbow says:

oilersfan:
    Gordies Elbow,

How can an oilers fan troll a flames troll on an oilers blog?

Wow, we’re in a weird situation, here.

Oiler’s are really good – not only are opposing fans not coming into here to chirp, but they don’t really have anything to chirp.

While Cameron has been generally a good poster, he’s in a poor position, as Calgary has been remarkably poor, and Edmonton’s been really good this season.

If Cameron can troll, all the best to him. I’d say good luck, but that wouldn’t be sporting. Hope that Calgary is better, because they’re poor now, and don’t look like they’re improving….

36. Side says:

Gordies Elbow: Hope that Calgary is better, because they’re poor now, and don’t look like they’re improving….

That’s nice of you.

Personally, I was hoping Calgary would have 11 less points by this time of the year.

37. oilersfan says:

Gordie you are a better person than me.

When a person from the hated rival fan base comes to an oilers blog chat room twice a month with degrading and half truth posts intended to insult your team and boil your blood, I find nothing wrong with doing it right back when his team is now the one still in the middle of “infinibuild”.

I just hope they win a few more games so they can finish 18th or so, enough to miss the playoffs and add all the Mark Jankowski and Poirier’s they want. I don’t want Nolan Patrick showing up in flames silks but I am going to enjoy every day their tire fire smoulders with every ounce of schadenfreude I can muster.

And that six year term on Gio’s contract is looking as good on his 33 year old frame as his 6.75 million cap hit.

38. Gordies Elbow says:

Side: That’s nice of you.

Yeah, never been in this position before. That said, I’d like a real BOA, with Edmonton coming out on top.

Winning is good. Beating Calgary to do so? Better….

39. dangilitis says:

Gordies Elbow: Wow, we’re in a weird situation, here.

While Cameron has been generally a good poster,he’s in a poor position, as Calgary has been remarkably poor, and Edmonton’s been really good this season.

Are you kidding me?

Call me a sore sport, but I relish every Calgary loss, and hope that they do not improve. Would love for Monahan and Gaudreau to not earn their keep with more than 12 million/yr on the books (for added bonus to watch DSF spin a tale in their defense). Would love Elliott and Johnson to suffer the same embarrassment that Dubnyk endured, only for the team to realize that fault may not solely rest with the goalie. Their D has not been contributing to the offense nearly as well in the early days, and hope that this continues as well.

I haven’t heard a great many empathetic gestures by Calgary Flames’ fans to their neighbours over the last decade, and I have lived in Calgary the last few years. I have had to turn off my radio some mornings when John Hancock and David Gray disparage the Oilers.

So I have no reason to wish for a battle of Alberta with both teams at their pinnacle of performance. I have never needed to “get up” for these games or contests, and would much rather enjoy a decade where the shoe is on the other foot – at which point, I would be lying if I said I would be the bigger person when it came to treatment of opposing fans 🙂

40. Gordies Elbow says:

dangilitis,

I enjoy every Calgary loss (woohoo, Duck’s scored as I’m typing, love game centre.) Lived in Calgary at the turn of the millennium, and had hard years there. Happy to see the current team play the way they can.

I’d like a good battle of Alberta, with the Oiler’s coming out on top. Not a one sided affair we’ve seen for the last decade.

41. Aron_S says:

While there is talk of trolling the Flames, I feel like we should pour one out for Smid. Can’t believe that guy is 30 already and his career is basically over with injuries sustained. I liked him as an Oiler and never would have imagined that contract would become the albatross it did. Funny that Fayne basically got the same contract afterwards and they both look equally bad compared to the going rate for defensive D.

I should add: love Gryba as a 6/7 D at 950k a year.

42. Aron_S says:

Awesome time to play the Stars. They’re suffering depth injuries like the Oilers.

43. oilersfan says:

Dangilitis

You are my soul mate

Who are the broadcasters you are referring to? I live in St. Albert and can usually hear the morning and big show with steinberg, boomer, Rob Kerr and all the other flames lovers . The very worst is Kelly Hrudey who for some reason hasn’t plumbed the depths of insults to his beloved flames the same way he did to eberle and Nuge.

I am curious to know who the flames will put on their first and second line ahead of third liner Monahan. Can’t wait for Hrudey to spell it out with his deep insight.

44. Gordies Elbow says:

dangilitis,

Ponda curse continues….

🙂

45. OF17 says:

I have been incredibly impressed with Darnell Nurse this season. Who was the last Oilers defenseman to make such rapid progress, Klefbom? Before him? I have no idea. The tantalizing thing about it is that while Klefbom has very good athleticism, it doesn’t compare to Nurse’s. For all the talking we’ve done about trading Nurse for a RHD, myself included, maybe waiting was the play that will eventually bring us two pairings with top pairing D on them, including one with a brand of physicality seldom found outside of Dustin Byfuglien.

46. admiralmark says:

Ladies and Gents. These last 2 games were games the Oilers would not of won in the last 10 years.. Definite progress here.

47. Frank the dog says:

Chachi: Re the injuries, yep, just ridiculous, again.
    Re the sophmore slump, hahhaahahahahahahahah… hahahahahahahahahah

Glad you liked both observations!
    Connor’s definetly a bust though. Will never amount to anything. Just like that over-rated Gretzky guy who also never played for the Leaflets. Now that Matthews guy,

48. spoiler says:

The Flame-outs are league worst in GA, and the Dys in GF. Happy days…

49. Zelepukin says:

OF17: Early days. Definitely. But boy are there ever a lot of good signs hanging around Nurse. I caught some of this special feeling after seeing him at 2015 development camp, but last year mostly washed it away. Now I’m thinking there’s a chance Nurse is our best defender a couple years from now, even with Klefbom and Larsson still on the roster.

Nurse pre-NHL, I think the hockey world saw the potential. He has that Pronger year 1-3 lankiness to his frame right now but his mean-streak plus his acceleration is impressive. I will be surprised if he isn’t 1-2 by the end of next season.

50. GMB3 says:

I attribute our early success to our new mascot Hunter, the most terrifying mascot in the NHL.

51. sliderule says:

Woodguy: Except 170 NHL game results tell a different story than the 2 people you were listening to.

The monster does have a very good save percentage on high danger shots.
    See,I do listen to numbers guys
    😄

52. PhrankLee says:

I am awash in good vibes this morning as the Oilers did what they needed to do: win a road game in regulation.

I am thrilled, of course with the win for Gus and the rest for Cam but am still disappointed, like many others, that PC did not aim higher when addressing the G2 slot.

As for Gus and his high danger save % ….We have seen that movie before..

Ben Scrivens. (great guy, of course…but..)

sliderule: Just two guys who do wings broadcast and have an opinion and who would have watched a fair number of those games.
    The monster does have a very good save percentage on high danger shots.
    See,I do listen to numbers guys

Ha!

That is his one redeeming quality.

Lowetide: It’s a gift.

Did you get a receipt?

Georges:
    Woodguy,

It sounds like you think I’m being that guy so I’ll drop it.

It’s funner talking and thinking hockey than arguing numbers.

For instance, most teams use 3 or 4 defensemen on their two power play units. We only use 2. Top tier defensemen generate higher than average offense and they make an impact on the power play.They have some attack in their game. That attack instinct (keeping pucks in, getting pucks through, reading the play, coming off the point) helps their teams not just on the scoring side of the box score but also on the possession side.

Thoughts?

Nah, you’re not being “that guy”

You have good questions and the answers are out there, I just can’t be the guy who gets you all the answers.

Search Eric Tulsky and Broadstreethockey , he did a lot of work too.

Also,

I’ve seen data lately that suggests:

1) More NHL teams run 4F and 1 D 5v4
    2) The 4F1D deployment scores more 5v4 than 3F2D

I can’t share that data as its not public, but I trust the source.

Also,

Don’t worry about possession rates on the PP

Worry about shot rates.

56. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

The monster does have a very good save percentage on high danger shots.
    See,I do listen to numbers guys

But it doesn’t make any sense.

They are at the cap. They have a backup goalie they are paying $5million/year to from now until the end of time in Howard and a young starter in Mrazek that they are fully committed too.

Even if Monster wasn’t injury prone, there is absolutely 0 reason for them to sign him…. it doesn’t make sense.

57. russ99 says:

McDavid – 13GP – 5 goals, 9 assists, 14 points.

No sophomore slump.

We just went to the well too many times with that feed McDavid the puck high up breakout play and the league has adjusted.

Even if he’s not scoring on the rush as much, he’s still getting his points.

58. hunter1909 says:

Who needs McDavid?

RNH put on a one man hockey clinic last night. Detroit finally saw themselves totally without the talent necessary to stop the Oilers. Wings in 2016 are like an incarnation of any former championship team 5 years after it’s last kick at the can…that is, they still possess the winning systems, but unfortunately they no longer have the horses.

Usually I barely notice RNH; unless he’s injured which in that case the team quickly falls apart.

McDavid+RNH+Draisratl = NHL dominance for the next decade. A decade and a half, maybe.

9-3-1 is excellent. Beat Pittsburgh…

59. tcho says:

I like Happy Hunter! I hope to read a lot more from him this year. 🙂

60. Oilspill says:

What impresses me the most is defensive DEPTH. that includes the forwards who realize defense get us the puck. Winning battles aren’t in fancy stats and until they are included you will only see the teams offense extrapolated.

« Older Comments