OILERS NO. 6 PROSPECT (winter 2016): ETHAN BEAR

Ethan Bear is one of four defensemen who offer both impressive skills and at least one thing that could keep each of them from an NHL career. Although I have ranked Bear No. 6, there is (imo) little clearance between No. 2 and No. 8 on this year’s list. Bear’s headman passing, excellent shot from the point, defensive coverage and improvement since draft day have him headed in a good direction.

PREVIOUSLY NO. 6 ON THE WINTER LIST

• December 2004: R Colin McDonald (145 NHL games)
  • December 2005: D Matt Greene (597 NHL games)
  • December 2006: D Tom Gilbert (648 NHL games)
  • December 2007: C Kyle Brodziak (713 NHL games)
  • December 2008: L Liam Reddox (100 NHL games)
  • December 2009: L Linus Omark (79 NHL games)
  • December 2010: L Curtis Hamilton (1 NHL game)
  • December 2011: G Tyler Bunz (1 NHL game)
  • December 2012: D Martin Gernat
  • December 2013: C Bogdan Yakimov (1 NHL game)
  • December 2014: R Greg Chase
  • December 2015: G Laurent Brossoit (6 NHL games)

The Oilers produced some quality in this range early in the century, a decade ago. Matt Greene, Tom Gilbert and Kyle Brodziak represent exactly what this team needs now—players chosen outside Round 1 who emerge as useful players. Unfortunately, no one in recent seasons has been able to emerge from the pack.

bear-capture

WHAT THEY SAID ON DRAFT DAY

• Red Line Report: Shutdown rearguard plays against the opposing teams’ top line every night and refuses to give away even an inch of space. Owns a laser shot that often finds the net – keeps it low and often produces dangerous rebounds. A good skater who likes to take the puck deep into the offensive zone and create chances, yet still has the speed to get back on defence.
  • Corey Pronman: He’s not a really flashy guy, I don’t think he’s won a major accolade or anything of the sort. He was consistently impressive this season, especially against his own age group. I thought he looked good at the Ivan Hlinka and U18’s, he looked like one of the better 1997 defensemen. Throughout the entire WHL season he was very good—not amazing, but steady in both ends. He could move the puck, he played hard and showed good hockey sense on both sides of the puck.
  • Black Book: He prefers to use outlet passes, which he is very good at delivering to his teammates—sometimes sending the puck tape-to-tape from his own goalline to the opposition’s blueline.
  • McKeens: Strong, physical defender – solidly-built and a tenacious competitor .. not flashy skill wise, however makes smart plays and packs a powerful shot.
  • ISS: Does a lot of things well, but mainly plays a strong defensive and physical game. Strong in front of the net and along the boards, doesn’t run around in the defensive zone and has good positioning.

bear-capture

PREVIOUS RANKINGS

• Summer 2015: No. 10
  • Winter 2015: No. 9
  • Summer 2016: No. 6
  • Winter 2016: No. 6

I had Bear as a second-round pick on my 2015 draft list, so also had him high in the top 20 in the days after his selection. He’s covered that bet over an 18-month period now, suspect we are dealing with a legit NHL prospect. There are things he needs to work on (skating, and it is improving) but he is a good defender, can move the puck and has an excellent shot that gives him some PP potential (15 power-play goals in 84 games).

• Bruce McCurdy: The puck went through his stick a lot, generally headed in the right direction bar a couple of passes that didn’t click and one ambush that resulted in a turnover in his own territory. But without a doubt he was a central player in the Thunderbirds’ scheme of things, and moving the disc was a big part of his role. Source
  • Ethan Bear: “I’d say I’m a two-way puck moving defenceman, I can shoot, I can skate, I position myself well.” Source
  • Craig Button: There’s a lot of substance in his game. He doesn’t get himself into trouble, you earn everything you get when playing against him. Coming out of his own zone, he understands what the options are and these are things that will translate to the NHL.

2016-17

bear-boxcarsBear’s power-play numbers are off this year, but Mathew Barzal was missing in the first 15 games of the year and his even-strength numbers remain. His NHLE last (21) and this (18) season suggest he is ‘in the range’ with Darnell Nurse at the same age.

• Oilers senior director of player development Rick Carriere: “Ethan’s offensive game really evolved, but more than anything else, I think he rounded out his game away from the puck, too. He’s a lot better in the defensive zone, checking down low. He had good corner battles, he was tougher in front of the net. His game is all about the puck and transition and moving his feet, and he did a really good job with that throughout the year and was able to put up some offensive numbers.” Source

bear-capture-2

THE FUTURE

Bear is in a group of defensemen who have all made themselves known, but none have separated beyond that point. He is a talented passer, has a big shot from the point and is perhaps more advanced in coverage than most teenage defenders. His skating is good and his advancement over several areas since draft day have him here. He has the makings of a complete skill set, but these are early days.

As always, it is often a useful reminder to recall the story of Jeff Petry, Taylor Chorney and Cody Wild. Three college defenders who arrived in pro at about the same time, with one emerging as a bona fide top 4D (Petry), another as a fringe NHLer (Chorney) and still another as a career minor leaguer. We would do well to view the current collective (Benning, Paigin, Bear) in the same light.

THE 2015 DRAFT

• Connor McDavid, No. 1 overall. Making our dreams come true. Graduated.
  • D Caleb Jones, No. 117 overall. Impressive young player has improved greatly since the draft. Good wheels, impressive offense. Inside the Top 20.
  • D Ethan Bear, No. 124 overall. He is progressing in all areas and has a nice range of skills. Bear’s progress since draft day has been impressive. No. 6 prospect, Winter 2016.
  • D John Marino, No. 154 overall. Mobile offensive defender posting some crooked numbers early in NCAA career. A candidate for the Winter Top 20.
  • G Miroslav Svoboda, No. 208 overall. Stopping everything in a faraway Czech league. What does that mean? A candidate for the Winter Top 20.
  • D Ziyat Paigin, No. 209 overall. A transfer to Sochi unlocked this player in 2015-16, and an untimely injury this season cannot dampen enthusiasm. No. 5 prospect, Winter 2016.

ROLLING TOP 20

rolling-top-20

• It is important to keep in mind Edmonton is strong at center and has graduated several lefty defensemen (Klefbom, Nurse, Davidson) in recent seasons.
  • Needs include RW, RHD and goaltending.

46 Responses to "OILERS NO. 6 PROSPECT (winter 2016): ETHAN BEAR"

1. stush18 says:

In the last thread centre of attention said Michael stone was available.

Where did you hear this? Also how does he run through gmoneys df?

2. Confused says:

stush18,

Had make medical problems last year and continuing to miss games

A bear there was, a bear, a bear!
    All black and brown, and covered with hair!
    The bear! The bear!
    Oh, come, they said, oh come to the fair!
    The fair? Said he, but I’m a bear!
    All black, and brown, and covered with hair!

And Down the road from here to there.
    From here! To There!
    Three boys, a goat, and a dancing bear!
    [He] danced and spun, all the way to the Fair!
    The Fair! The Fair!

[…]

Oh, sweet she was, and pure, and fair!
    The maid with honey in her hair!
    Her hair! Her hair!
    The maid with honey in her hair!

[The bear,] smelled the scent on the summer air.
    The bear! The bear!
    All black and brown and covered with hair.
    He smelled the scent on the summer air!
    He sniffed and roared and smelled it there!
    Honey on the summer air!

Oh, I’m a maid, and I’m pure and fair!
    I’ll never dance with a hairy bear!
    A bear! A bear!
    I’ll never dance with a hairy bear!
    He lifted her high into the air!
    The bear! The bear!

I called for a knight, but you’re a bear!
    A bear! A bear!
    All black and brown and covered with hair!
    She kicked and wailed, the maid so fair,
    But he licked the honey from her hair,
    Her hair! Her hair!

Then she sighed and squealed and kicked the air!
    My bear! She sang. My bear so fair!
    And off they went, from here to there,
    The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair.

-G.R.R. Martin

stush18:
    In the last thread centre of attention said Michael stone was available.

Where did you hear this? Also how does he run through gmoneys df?

You need to be really careful when using fancies to evaluate players like Stone.

His WoodMoneys from last year are decent:

vs Elite – 37% TOI – +0.8 RelCor, 0% RelDFF

However, you need to know he played 512min of his 1239min w/ OEL who may be closest player to Lidstrom in the NHL.

Stone/OEL WOWY
    w/ OEL 50.2 CF%
    w/o OEL 46.0% CF%
    OEL w/o Stone 50% CF%

w/OEL 49% GF
    w/o OEL 45.7% GF
    OEL w/o Stone 53.8% GF

Its safe to say that Stone’s assignment gets easier without OEL.

The fact that he is sub 50% is all respects in easier minutes is a big red flag.

The fact that his most common partners without OEL are Grossman and Connaughton means maybe he’s better than his numbers away from OEL, but if the coach moves him from the penthouse to the outhouse and not in between its also a red flag.

Health concerns and a few red flags.

Pass.

Woodguy:

Health concerns and a few red flags.

Pass.

He will be an Oiler by morning.

6. Centre of attention says:

Woodguy,

Better bet than Murphy IMO.

And I read the Stone thing from Matty on twitter. So it’s probably nothing anyways. Just spit balling ideas while we watch this team free-fall down the standings.

7. Centre of attention says:

On the topic of tonight’s thread, how has Bear’s footwork looked this year? Anyone here get any viewings/talk to someone who has?

I know pivots were an issue last year and it was his only real flaw skating wise, if he can get better on his edges and pivot smoothly this year I think he has huge upside because the positioning in lanes is already there according to reports.

Really excited about this prospect, so the Oilers will definitely trade him in a package for something this season. That’s how life works for us Oiler fans right?

8. Centre of attention says:

Sam-fucking-Gagner leads the Jackets with 7 goals.

Because of course he does.

Centre of attention:

10. kinger_OIL says:

– I like Bear plenty. I just don’t like him as our #6 prospect. If he was rated a lot lower, I’d feel better about his risk/reward, and our prospect pool in general.

– I’ve seen him plenty: and he could end up a decent D. My problem with a 5’11 D is that unless they are + in one area, its really hard for them to make an impact. A good skater, a good shot, he is physical enough. Decent passer. I’d feel better about his chances if he had an elite attribute.

– He’s years away from NHL. Its not his fault that he is #6 prospect. I cheer for him. From all accounts he’s a top-drawer kid, hard worker, with a story to tell and an inspiration to many.

11. SoCaloil says:

Centre of attention,

Making $600k a yr

12. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: I have talked to three people about Bear’s skating, and would frame the overall verbal as positive bordering on mildly excited. People who talk to scouts (i don’t talk to scouts) tend to adopt their somewhat less colorful language. So you get a lot of underselling, but the arrows in terms of skating are good from what I hear.

Good news.

Any recent news on Berglund? 3 assists in 12 games (edit: now 16 games played) is good work for a young D-man in the SHL. IIRC, young guys don’t get power play time, limited minutes overall, plus having to deal with the Swedish Assist Police etc.

Elite prospects has updated their scouting report on Beglund recently (it didn’t have one before)

“A big and strong two-way defenseman with good hockey sense and passing ability. Valuable on the man advantage with a strong release and good puck control. Not a speedster and should use his large frame to his advantage. (EP 2016) ”

Markus Niemelainen has two assists tonight.

Zch Nagelvoort let in one goal for Michigan on eight first period shots and was replaced. Either he is hurt or Red Berenson really does hate him.

15. kinger_OIL says:

– And just because it’s friday night, and I just put my son to bed: there have been no comments really about Halls recent (predictable) injury, which takes him out for 10+ games.

– Hall is effective (and more impact when he plays than Lucic), but his injury history is real. His inability (save last year) to remain healthy tempers his impact on a team’s performance.

– You take Lucic and his impact on team performance over the course of the last 5 seasons over Hall: its not even a debate. Injuries matter, a lot.

– Lucic has missed less than 10 games total since Taylor Hall has joined the league. Hall has missed 65+ and counting in the last 7 years

– It’s fair to say we should be glad that Hall isn’t on the team this year: his injury would be crippling. Had we kept Hall, our D acquisition would have been worse than Larsson.

* baring an injury to Lucic: it’s clear now that this year, the Oil won the trade. 4 more years to go!

16. Shizuka says:

Woodguy,

Always enjoy the posts on analytics, even if I don’t always understand some of it — but you go up another notch by quoting GRRM! I’m a fan of the series, just really wish it wouldn’t take as long as it has to get the next book. Frankly I haven’t even bothered watching the show, as it just wouldn’t match up to what I see in the imagination when I’m reading.

Bear is going to need quite a bit of development incubation time in the minors. Big shot, but mobility and his ability to box out the bigger guys in the NHL will be issues.

17. jake70 says:

Centre of attention:
    Sam-fucking-Gagner leads the Jackets with 7 goals.

Because of course he does.

Lol

Lowetide: He will be an Oiler by morning.

Man.

19. Centre of attention says:

Woodguy: Man.

You can disassemble the shrine, they aren’t landing Trouba. 😛

Honestly I wouldn’t turn my nose up at Stone the player, but the cost scares me. IDK if I would give this years first for Stone.

Arizona loves empty cap-hits, Ference for Stone? Lmao.

20. HT Joe says:

Centre of attention:
    Sam-fucking-Gagner leads the Jackets with 7 goals.

Because of course he does.

*ducks and runs for cover*

John Marino with an assist for Hahvahd.

22. Centre of attention says:

HT Joe: Maybe Nuge could learn a thing or two about scoring by watching film of that young Gagner guy.

*ducks and runs for cover*

Just my opinion.

23. Scungilli says:

Centre of attention: Nuge could remember a thing or two about scoring from watching young Nuge. The problem isn’t Nuge can’t score, it’s in him he just needs to get a bounce. It’s not for a lack of trying. He’s shooting at a pretty good clip.

Just my opinion.

Remember when Crosby couldn’t score and it turned out to be the system and some players? And then they won the cup?

24. HT Joe says:

Just my opinion.

No objections here… I had intended a tongue-in-cheek comment (I should have used #sarcasm)

25. pocession charge says:

Woodguy:

A bear there was, a bear, a bear!
    All black and brown, and covered with hair!
    The bear! The bear!
    Oh, come, they said, oh come to the fair!
    The fair? Said he, but I’m a bear!
    All black, and brown, and covered with hair!

And Down the road from here to there.
    From here! To There!
    Three boys, a goat, and a dancing bear!
    [He] danced and spun, all the way to the Fair!
    The Fair! The Fair!

[…]

Oh, sweet she was, and pure, and fair!
    The maid with honey in her hair!
    Her hair! Her hair!
    The maid with honey in her hair!

[The bear,] smelled the scent on the summer air.
    The bear! The bear!
    All black and brown and covered with hair.
    He smelled the scent on the summer air!
    He sniffed and roared and smelled it there!
    Honey on the summer air!

Oh, I’m a maid, and I’m pure and fair!
    I’ll never dance with a hairy bear!
    A bear! A bear!
    I’ll never dance with a hairy bear!
    He lifted her high into the air!
    The bear! The bear!

I called for a knight, but you’re a bear!
    A bear! A bear!
    All black and brown and covered with hair!
    She kicked and wailed, the maid so fair,
    But he licked the honey from her hair,
    Her hair! Her hair!

Then she sighed and squealed and kicked the air!
    My bear! She sang. My bear so fair!
    And off they went, from here to there,
    The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair.

-G.R.R. Martin

If you like the fantasy genre, try The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss. It’s supposed to be a trilogy; only the first two novels are complete. The Name of the Wind is the first novel — it’s very enjoyable.

Benson with an assist tonight, now 18, 8-13-21.

27. digger50 says:

Just my opinion.

Yes the baby Nuge needs to come back. This Nuge always puts on the breaks, rarely drives to the net, not a dangle to be seen. Nuge you used to score hatricks! What have we done to you?

28. Bruce Wayne says:

kinger_OIL:
    – And just because it’s friday night, and I just put my son to bed:there have been no comments really about Halls recent (predictable) injury, which takes him out for 10+ games.

– Hall is effective (and more impact when he plays than Lucic), but his injury history is real.His inability (save last year) to remain healthy tempers his impact on a team’s performance.

– You take Lucic and his impact on team performance over the course of the last 5 seasons over Hall: its not even a debate.Injuries matter, a lot.

– Lucic has missed less than 10 games total since Taylor Hall has joined the league.Hall has missed 65+ and counting in the last 7 years

– It’s fair to say we should be glad that Hall isn’t on the team this year: his injury would be crippling.Had we kept Hall, our D acquisition would have been worse than Larsson.

* baring an injury to Lucic: it’s clear now that this year, the Oil won the trade.4 more years to go!

29. Bruce Wayne says:

Woodguy:

A bear there was, a bear, a bear!
    All black and brown, and covered with hair!
    The bear! The bear!
    Oh, come, they said, oh come to the fair!
    The fair? Said he, but I’m a bear!
    All black, and brown, and covered with hair!

And Down the road from here to there.
    From here! To There!
    Three boys, a goat, and a dancing bear!
    [He] danced and spun, all the way to the Fair!
    The Fair! The Fair!

[…]

Oh, sweet she was, and pure, and fair!
    The maid with honey in her hair!
    Her hair! Her hair!
    The maid with honey in her hair!

[The bear,] smelled the scent on the summer air.
    The bear! The bear!
    All black and brown and covered with hair.
    He smelled the scent on the summer air!
    He sniffed and roared and smelled it there!
    Honey on the summer air!

Oh, I’m a maid, and I’m pure and fair!
    I’ll never dance with a hairy bear!
    A bear! A bear!
    I’ll never dance with a hairy bear!
    He lifted her high into the air!
    The bear! The bear!

I called for a knight, but you’re a bear!
    A bear! A bear!
    All black and brown and covered with hair!
    She kicked and wailed, the maid so fair,
    But he licked the honey from her hair,
    Her hair! Her hair!

Then she sighed and squealed and kicked the air!
    My bear! She sang. My bear so fair!
    And off they went, from here to there,
    The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair.

-G.R.R. Martin

Have you heard this?

30. Gret99zky says:

Shizuka:
    Woodguy,

And so we can expect to see him on the big club as early as next season.

Because Oilers™

31. JDï™ says:

Gret99zky: And so we can expect to see him on the big club as early as next season.

Does a Bear shit in the mall?

32. OmJo says:

Gret99zky,

We have something special in him, I really hope the Oilers stop ‘Oilering’ and let him develop properly and patiently. Emulate what they were forced to do with Davidson. It works.

33. Bank Shot says:

digger50: Yesthe baby Nuge needs to come back. This Nuge always puts on the breaks, rarely drives to the net, not a dangle to be seen. Nuge you used to score hatricks! What have we done to you?

Baby Nuge was getting lucky. He was scoring like 7+ pp/60 on the power play.

It’s wasn’t sustainable.

34. Professor Q says:

With their entry level contracts signed, I guess we see them (hopefully) play one more season in the WHL and then one in the AHL before getting their main chance in Edmonton (Bear and Jones)?

Professor Q:

Bear and Jones will be 20 next summer, suspect they will turn pro. Brandon Davidson stayed for his 20-year old season but it is unusual.

36. Stelio Kontos says:

Bruce Wayne: This is hilariously wrong in every respect, most of all regarding Lucic, who has an untradeable contract less than 20 games into it.

Phoenix would give us the top dman in the draft for him, so long as he doesn’t play.

37. JDï™ says:

Stelio Kontos,

Slow clap, Wiser’s gulp.

38. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Bruce Wayne,

Hmm well Hall has 3 more points but the same amount of goals and will be out until the new year. Kinger is also spot on with all of the injuries (and this is now the second injury to Hall’s left knee) so aside from your hate of Lucic what exactly is so completely wrong?

39. kinger_OIL says:

– Great possession numbers: same points as Hall: in the range, hostoric slow starter, healthy.

– Disagree strongly. For this year, you take Lucic over Hall given the 10+ games Hall will miss, and the 50ish points Lucic puts up and strong possession.

– A good article though talking about his move, and struggles with the Oil:

Bank Shot: Baby Nuge was getting lucky. He was scoring like 7+ pp/60 on the power play.

It’s wasn’t sustainable.

Nuge also put up 1.95 pts/60 5v5 in his rookie year.

That was the last time there was a C to shelter him from the toughest minutes.

At 19 he became the Oilers tough minutes C in the best league on the planet.

Helluva plan by MacTamblowe

41. Bank Shot says:

Woodguy: Nuge also put up 1.95 pts/60 5v5 in his rookie year.

That was the last time there was a C to shelter him from the toughest minutes.

At 19 he became the Oilers tough minutes C in the best league on the planet.

Helluva plan by MacTamblowe

Nuge’s on-ice sh% was 10.28 that season. Also the best of his career. Probably drug along a bit by Eberle who was 3 p/60 that season.

Eberle and Hall played the same minutes as Nuge basically every season. They both outpaced him at ES p/60 essentially every single season.

So, yeah Hopkins got the tough minutes, but he also got the best possible linemates, and he was always lagging his linemates in production.

RNH is a good player, but he hasn’t been a fantastic point producer over his career given his role, and he hasn’t lived up to his contract if you compare him to other $6 million dollar RFAS.

42. stush18 says:

pocession charge: If you like the fantasy genre, try The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss.It’s supposed to be a trilogy; only the first two novels are complete.The Name of the Wind is the first novel — it’s very enjoyable.

Best series of all time.

He’s a magician with words. This wait for the third book is kind of killing me tho.

43. dustrock says:

stush18: Best series of all time.

First book was a revelation. 2nd book was fun but there was a lot of duplication and still too much time spent at the school. Given the very obvious struggles he must be having writing the 3rd book (is it 7 years now?) and the lack of advancement in the plot, I worry about the series in general and doubt it will be a trilogy.

After delays and problems with the Wheel of Time and Song of Fire and Ice, I’m not holding my breath

44. stush18 says:

dustrock: First book was a revelation. 2nd book was fun but there was a lot of duplication and still too much time spent at the school.Given the very obvious struggles he must be having writing the 3rd book (is it 7 years now?)and the lack of advancement in the plot, I worry about the series in general and doubt it will be a trilogy.

Agreed. I’m thinking he’ll turn it into a fourth book by ending with something like “ahhh but that’s a different story.” Or something and then they move to a new series. Just too much info to squeeze in

45. BlueNoteNorth says:

Edmonton is strong at centre.

Amazing how easy that is to say now.

The days of two plus magic beans are thankfully in the rear view mirror.

Music!