G22 2016-17: OILERS AT COYOTES

I had a Chevy Bel Air Super Sport, it was maroon with a white hard top and burned more oil than gas. My Dad told me to sell it every time he saw it, but I loved that big chrome load. I didn’t have a pot to piss in, and used about 10 percent of the brains God gave me, but I was young and out on my own and living. There is something about that time, those days and months and years where you discover the world, learn about failure and success, and go your own way. I wouldn’t give up the life I have for the world, but the memories of those days are some of my favorites. What they don’t tell you (actually they do, but you’re not listening) is that the journey is the thing, and the people you share it and who become part of you are the reward. Oh to be 20 again, and burning daylight on fresh blacktop. I wonder where that car is now.

PEACEFUL EASY FEELING, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0, goal differential -7
  • Oilers in October 2016: 7-2-0, goal differential +10
  • Oilers in November 2015: 4-7-2, goal differential -2
  • Oilers in November 2016: 5-6-1 goal differential +1
  • Oilers after 21, 2015: 7-13-1, goal differential -9
  • Oilers after 21, 2016: 12-8-1, goal differential +11

G22 one year ago was a 4-1 loss to the Carolina Hurricanes, Andrej Nestrasil would be on his way to the Hall of Fame if he could play those Oilers every night. Connor McDavid was hurt, Oscar Klefbom soon would be, and after that game Edmonton would have 15 points in its first 22 games. Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy.

black_friday_ad-jpg1

If you are in the market for workwear, click on the ad and check out my friend Frank’s sale. He tells me it is a good one, although since I’ve never worked a day in my life I cannot be sure. If you are interested in placing an ad (or sponsoring 2-4pm on Saturdays), drop me a line via the contact button.

OILERS FORWARDS, 2016-17

oil-f-no-24

• Connor McDavid is blistering opposition goalies now, and I can tell you that someday—and right soon—we will look at these numbers (leads the league in points and on pace for over 100 this season) and gloss over them. It will happen, sure as hell. I remember reading The Hockey News leading scorers and staring at Bobby Orr’s name at the top, did that for months. At some point, I assumed he would be there. The mind is a strange and funny thing. You hold on to that feeling as long as you can—Connor McDavid is a special player and he is proving it—because these are the good old days.
  • Leon Draisaitl has an interesting line, 5×5/60 and possession numbers are coming back strong. His defensive zone starts are higher than I thought they would be, and his shots total seems low but he was just 5.72 a year ago. These men need to shoot more, even if they are ridiculous passers. Then again, Leon is right in the same range as Anze Kopitar, so there you go.
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is shooting a lot this season, he was just 5.58/60 at 5×5 one year ago. I suspect this is a specific plan for more offense and as you can see it is starting to come for the center. I had a chat with Brian Wilde of CTV Montreal/TSN690 last night online about the Nuge, he would be a nice fit there. I think RNH had his rep damaged last year due to injury, but as he climbs out of the early slump this year we should expect that 5×5 number to improve—perhaps back to the 1.92/60 of 2014-15 when he spent a lot of time with Jordan Eberle.
  • Milan Lucic is showing signs of life, that four point game was a Godsend for his player card. He is on track for 82gp, 23-31-54, I had him at 80gp, 22-39-61 on the RE. One area I was wrong on the RE estimate? PP points. I had him at 10 all year, he is at 2-4-6 after 21 games. McDavid changes everything.

OILERS DEFENSE, 2016-17

oilers-d-no-24

• Matt Benning is an interesting player, he is clearly a better fit for Oilers fans than Justin Schultz, the last college phenom to hit the Whitemud. Benning’s hit on Nathan MacKinnon was clean and effective, and the young man seems to have hitting and passing in his arsenal every night. We need to see him over a longer stretch, but this is a dozen games now (0-4-4) and the returns are very good. Could be third pairing on these team even after Mark Fayne and Brandon Davidson return from injury.
  • Mark Fayne skated yesterday with the Oilers, Brandon Davidson did not. It is taking a long time for Davidson, suspect we have some ways to go before the young man lines up for an NHL faceoff.
  • Oscar Klefbom is starting to look like the complete defender we prayed for all those years. He is on pace for 82gp, 12-16-28 this year, I had him at 55gp, 5-16-21 (or about the same points per game).
  • Adam Larsson has shown himself to be about what we expected, offensively and defensively. He is more physical than I expected and he has good coverage on most plays. I like him a lot, hope people can eventually move past the trade and enjoy his contributions without bile.
  • Kris Russell has had two good possession games in a row. It will be interesting to see if he signs in Edmonton before or after the expansion draft.

WORTHWHILE READ

Kurt Leavins over at the CofH wrote an interesting article on numbers, applying them in our own way and being able to communicate without being petty or ignorant. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

DRAFT 2017

Settle down, we are just talking here. I wanted to talk about the massive shift in draft number that may take place this summer. In the last seven seasons, Edmonton has drafted No. 1 (2010), No. 1 (2011), No. 1 (2012), No. 7 (2013), No. 3 (2014), No. 1 (2015) and No. 4 (2016). If the season ended today (based on finish, not playoff run):

• No. 86 (Nail Yakupov selection, this could be a second rounder)
  • No. 128 (Phil Larsen trade)

I think that is right, Las Vegas being added means 31 teams and buggers me up in the math (oh shut up, I am old!). The draft looks heavy in forwards and there is some real size up front, suspect Edmonton will be looking for wingers and defensemen this time. Check out ISS and The Draft Analyst if you are interested, I plan to post my first Top 30 for 2017 in January.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Friday! This morning at 10, TSN1260, scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky, BigMouthSports. Grey Cup Weekend, McDavid on fire, CFL commish light on details at the annual state of the union.
  • Guy Flaming, Pipeline Show. We will check out the Oil Kings and some of the WHL names mentioned this year for possible first-round consideration.
  • Matt Iwanyk, TSN1260. Why can’t Oilers fans just be happy? Is it a matter of trust? Is this still about Taylor Hall?

I am working on another guest, but don’t want to ruin it by saying it out loud (it is a thing) so stay tuned. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

441 Responses to "G22 2016-17: OILERS AT COYOTES"

« Older Comments
  1. Colieo87 says:

Half a second and that would be the sickest goal for 2016 maybe for the next decade, why doesnt it count it in the air for crying out loud. Next board of govern meeting they need to discuss this. Crazy almost Homer. Drink beer and burp lmao

2. Lucinius says:

Amusing to think that if this was football.. the Oilers would have the win (as McDavid’s goal would have counted).

Sunday just became a must-win, imo.

Ah well, at least we got a point.

3. blainer says:

Oh well was expecting them to pull that one out in the third. Still 3 out of four points on the short road trip.. not bad at all.

Close out the last two games at home and that will be a big win for November.

Just really happy with this team right now.

It seems that Larsson’s fancies don’t always look good but He is playing great most nights. He had a couple of gaffs tonight and has played better but boy I am getting more and more happy with him.

I would be playing him a lot more at evens. JMO.

4. striatic says:

McSorley33:
    D,

Yeah, even Coyotes crew talking about Eberle’s chances.

Coyotes crew also mentioning how the bad ice messed of McDavid on the shootout. Blaming the ice conditions is like blaming the refs – if you are doing it, your team wasn’t good enough to overcome the inevitable adversity of an away game – but damned it’s all just so ugly to watch a game be determined like that.

5. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Yotes wield kryptonite I tells ya!

Very unsharp game and my oh my what a brutal powerplay in OT. Lucic instead of Drai? Ya ok I’ll flip my position and blame the PP coach for that call.

But they picked up a point regardless and will probably feel a bit of shame for letting that one slip away.

Don’t blow your top over this OTL, solid game on Sunday gets them 3 of 4 which is good.

6. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Réal Goudenyéu: I get what you’re saying but the oilers should never have been in that position in the first place.

That’s why it kills me so… the yotes… those god damn coyotes… why do they haunt us so…

7. Crazy Pedestrian says:

I also think that maybe Mact swaps back to previous lineup… the worst team in the west took us to the cleaners

Bear 1-1-2 tonight, now 21gp, 6-9-15 on the season.

9. Professor Q says:

Lucinius,

In basketball as well. Determined by when the shot was taken, right?

Crazy Pedestrian:

11. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

This! And great news about Bear!

12. StixMalone says:

Analytics counts a lot. Chayka’s coyotes are designed to win games against the Oilers. F*ck the coyotes……

13. spoiler says:

Réal Goudenyéu: Playoff teams win this game.

Bullshit.

Sorry, don’t mean to pick on you, because there are others in the thread saying the same thing.

Playoff teams also lose this game.

Like the times the Stanley Cup champions Hawks would face the Oil and lose.

Same as the post early in this thread this morning about Cup teams MUST have 3 elite players to win the Cup.

Utter bullshit. Well thought out and expressed bullshit, but BS nonetheless.

I know there’s a desire to place a nice clean narrative on something, but back in the day of Don Quixote and the Saragossa Manuscript, writers and their audiences understood that such narratives don’t exist in human reality. Narratives are legion and they intertwine, parallel, nest and frame. Distort and mutate. Etc.

It’s like economists trying to treat economics like it’s physics and the economy like its a car you can steer… pointless and wrong.

I think what you are really trying to express is that losses like this bring into doubt the playoffs in your mind… and that’s fine and legitimate. But expressing an ultimatum which is demonstrably false IMO is just dumb. And neither you nor the other posters are stupid men.

14. the rural alberta disadvantage says:

I think I gave myself an asthma attack during that overtime. My God. Such a stressful game – not even in a fun way.

**I should add, we have the budwiser redlight in our living room and it was running about a minute ahead for the entire game. We knew the whole time that the Oilers were not going to score, but every Coyotes chance was just a nice little heart attack lol

15. treevojo says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    Yotes wield kryptonite I tells ya!

This

Huge lucic fan.

5v4 pp. Lucic I understand.

But he has no business being on a 4v3.

At least this gets sleppy back in next game.

Love that we have nhl depth this year.

Guys have to fight to stay in the lineup.

16. spoiler says:

Lowetide: An OT loss is being taken to the cleaners? I understand the frustration, but for me tonight was more about what the Oilers failed to do consistently. The Coyotes should have won the game, but that is not close to Edmonton’s A game. Sunday should be a lot of fun.

Precisely. One of the interesting things here is watching to see how they react and what they bring on Sunday. I’m especially curious to see how McDeity plays after all the chirping he got at the end of the game. 😉

17. LMHF#1 says:

That never should have been a contest. They should have run away after 2-0. They slacked.

Pouliot really is having issues. Slepyshev was missed tonight.

And LT, you know I’m one of the biggest Eberle fans out there – he’s starting to piss me off frankly. He’s in a position where he has so much less pressure and just isn’t playing the way he can. He should be killing it out there.

18. Zelepukin says:

Ya I agree. The concerns for me at this point are:

Secondary scoring. Ebs/Nuge need to be cashing in on weaker opposition, ESPECIALLY against the worst team in the NHL.
    One timers. We need someone, anyone, that can take a one-timer. We have to be the only team in the entire NHL that doesn’t have a forward that can one-time the puck. It’s ridiculous to even say that out loud. Ebs is Mr.dust-this-off. Any other team in the whole league would have been picking off shots in the OT PP.

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 4m4 minutes ago

“We weren’t sharp enough for two points, so we’ll take the one, but we should expect more on a nightly basis.” Coach McLellan
    ==

Todd McLellan speaks western.

20. treevojo says:

spoiler,

I was one of the posters that said that.

I say it tongue in cheek.

This team is a playoff team.

I will bet a wood guy if anybody is interested.

21. MrEd says:

Couldn’t watch tonight.
    JP’s ice time was down tonight. Did he get dinged or was someone taking his place?

22. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

The sky is not falling. Sometimes you just don’t have your A game. If the Oilers manage a point on the road every time without bringing their best game they are laughing all the way to the playoffs.

And I said on Halloween that if the team was still leading the division at American Thanksgiving this team is making the playoffs. They will make the playoffs. I am booking my round one airfare now.

That said you do not go from last place to dominant team without passing through good, but not great team first. That’s where these guys are. Give them time.

And re: Eberle, are we really complaining about his lack of one-timer at this point in his career?

We have guys with hard shots…Nurse, Klef, Davidson, Puljujarvi. Give it time. It will come.

23. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

LMHF#1,

I’d be willing to bet Eberle has the pressure on himself dialed up to Spinal Tap levels right now. Same with Maroon. You could see the frustration from both multiple times tonight.

I hope they stick with it and keep plugging away. Eberle’s two way and forechecking play has been noticeably better of late and the line is still creating chances.

Droughts happen and it sucks when they do but as long as they are playing well and generating chances I won’t get worried or upset. If at some point they lose the will though (and man that was not a good return for Pouliot) we have a new set of problems to deal with. But we aren’t close to that point yet!

24. JDï™ says:

treevojo: I will bet a wood guy if anybody is interested

25. treevojo says:

JDï™:

Does that mean you are interested?

26. Zelepukin says:

It will be interesting to see how the lines change.

I’d like to see Sleps draw back in. Perhaps Cags comes out and they try a Pou-Drai-Sleps line. I’d try Pit-Lets-Kass as the 4th but Cags isn’t doing anything terribly wrong to have to draw out. It’s nice to have some depth for once.

27. --hudson-- says:

A few random observations:
    – strange to see 3 left shots on 3rd line and 3 right shots on 4th line. Wonder what the magnitude of influence it has on possession. There were a lot of cross ice backhand passes tonight
    – PP1 seems to run a lot of zone entries through Eberle, no real opinion on it just surprised it’s not McD more often
    – Caggiula doesn’t seem as fast as in preseason where he got the two penalty shots. Is he still adjusting to NHL pace?

28. JDï™ says:

treevojo: Does that mean you are interested?

That means that my oversized track pad strikes again.

But put me down for 10 Woodguys – does it matter if all the serial numbers are the same?

29. Professor Q says:

Fidel Castro has passed away at age 90. Interesting life.

30. Offside says:

Woodguy: I’m pretty thick.

You know this.

Sorry, after I typed I realized I should put an emoticon to indicate humour. But ya – you are thick 😛

31. Dino says:

Boy what a frustrating game that was. Really annoyed more than angry.

Kassian out/ Slep in next game please.

Pou Drai Slep is a line I would like to see next game please.

Oh and I hate the stupid Coyotes I need to see the Oilers obliterate them in my life time please.

32. Bruce McCurdy says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    Yotes wield kryptonite I tells ya!

Ha! In my defence I will say I never saw this comment (or any predecessors) before writing my game review.

As the old saying goes, “great minds think alike”. Or is it “I STILL haven’t had a truly original thought”?

33. Bruce McCurdy says:

Dino:
    Boy what a frustrating game that was. Really annoyed more than angry.

Kassian out/ Slep in next game please.

Pou Drai Slep is a line I would like to see next game please.

I saw Kassian REAL bad in this game.

34. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: I have found that maybe only 1-2 posters here who lament the Hall trade often actually “bash” the people who disagree.

As someone who types him mind on it, I am bashed for it, or told “get over it!!” which is close.

in my experience it’s been pretty one sided on the “bashing” part.

Twitter of course, is a bash fest,but not here (except for very, very few)

35. jzed says:

Somebody forgot to tell the team that we fans are utterly tired of losing to The Arizona Nomsds. MacDavid should have had a goal and a boatload of assist. Lucic and the kid need to cash their gifts from heaven. I want a pound of flesh from the next game dammit!

36. JimmyV1965 says:

SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo!:
    LMHF#1,

Totally agree. Ebs and RNH will eventually bust out of their slumps. They are generating too many chances not to. Anyone else worried about Murphy doing something stupid and hurting one of our key guys?

37. SwedishPoster says:

McLellan clearly sees something in caggiula and I realize it’s early goings for a recently injured rookie but at this moment in time there’s nothing to justify him over Slepy imo. Having said that once Caggiula is up to speed I wouldn’t mind the both of them flanking Drai. Nice mix of player types from where I sit.

Bit of an off game from pretty much everyone but McDavid I’d say, Klef and Larsson were ok but had some defensive zone mistakes and overall the team didn’t show up. Still just a tenth of a second from victory. This team has that ability to gain wins any given night atm, even when off their game, very nice feeling.

38. blainer says:

Catching up on the comments this morning has been really quite entertaining.

8-3-1 against the west

1st place in our division

2nd best road record in the entire league

3rd most goals scored in the entire league

Yet a lot of posters are still upset at a road game against a bad team that was actually 500 at home and after last night now have a winning record at home. Home games matter folks even for shitty teams.

I understand the history of the last ten years. A lot of posters need to take a good look at that glass.. Every time it’s half Full.

The time is coming real soon when the complaints about this team will no longer be about just making the playoffs but that we should fire the coach because we lost the stanley cup final in overtime in the seventh game on a disputed goal.

39. sliderule says:

The Coyotes have virtually no offence yet they beat the oil like a drum.

It looked like they did the Boston garden thing and turned down the ice plant to super soft.

It probably will be same sort of ice at Rogers so don’t be surprised with similar result if the oil have a bunch looking sleepy.

blainer:
    Catching up on the comments this morning has been really quite entertaining.

8-3-1 against the west

1st place in our division

2nd best road record in the entire league

3rd most goalsscored in the entire league

Yet a lot of posters are still upset at a road game against a bad team that was actually 500 at home and after lastnight now have a winning record at home. Home games matter folks even for shitty teams.

People really need to stop telling other people how to enjoy hockey and what they can and cannot comment on.

Seriously.

Bruce McCurdy: Just catching up. I wasn’t talking about the Hall trade at all, Darcy. I was talking about people bashing the number crunchers. And they are legion.

Ah, thanks Bruce.

I use my mute button fairly liberally on twitter for just such a reason.

I like a good discussion if people disagree with me, but on that forum there’s very little nuance and whole lot of McScoops with nothing except “hockey isn’t played on a spreadsheet”

Some of that here too.

I have a pinned tweet:

“It doesn’t matter to me if you don’t include fancystats in your enjoyment of hockey. Enjoy it your way, I’ll enjoy it mine. We’re both fans.”

A lot of people are really obsessed that other people must enjoy hockey exactly the same way they do.

I don’t understand that at all.

« Older Comments