OILERS NO. 11 PROSPECT (winter 2016): FILIP BERGLUND

The Lowetide Top 20 values offense, range of skills and the idea that the more ways most players can make it to the NHL, the better their chances. In ranking Filip Berglund ahead of a plethora of pro players and several prospects in junior and college, it is with range of abilities in mind. He has a long way to go before we know about Filip Berglund, but the possibilities are the most intriguing among Edmonton’s remaining prospects.

PREVIOUSLY NO. 11 ON THE WINTER LIST

• December 2004: L Tony Salmelainen (70) (GM: Glen Sather)
  • December 2005: D Bryan Young (17) (GM: Kevin Lowe)
  • December 2006: G Jeff Deslauriers (62) (GM: Kevin Lowe)
  • December 2007: D Theo Peckham (160) (GM: Kevin Lowe)
  • December 2008: D Taylor Chorney (126) (GM: Kevin Lowe)
  • December 2009: D Johan Motin (1) (GM: Kevin Lowe)
  • December 2010: G Devan Dubnyk (315) (GM: Kevin Lowe)
  • December 2011: D Colten Teubert (24) (Trade by Tambellini)
  • December 2012: C Anton Lander (209) (GM: Steve Tambellini)
  • December 2013: L Mitchell Moroz (0) (GM: Craig MacTavish)
  • December 2014: C Marco Roy (0) (GM: Craig MacTavish)
  • December 2015: C Bogdan Yakimov (1) (GM: Craig MacTavish)

Once again, we have Dubnyk and a bunch of question marks, and that (for me) seems reasonable. Goaltenders are always a difficult bet, and the list routinely punishes them (after the early years of ranking) severely. Berglund fits in with this list, but we hope for better results.

berglund capture 1

WHAT THEY SAID ON DRAFT DAY

• Elite Prospects: A big and strong two-way defenseman with good hockey sense and passing ability. Valuable on the man advantage with a strong release and good puck control. Not a speedster and should use his large frame to his advantage.
  • The Black Book No. 91. Despite the large frame and not the fastest stride, Berglund actually has good finesse with the puck. He controls the puck very well and uses his size to protect it. He has good vision and can regularly execute accurate passes. When defending Berglund’s size helps and his defensive instincts are decent, but he is not a very physical player when considering his frame. His skating will also need to get better, he doesn’t have the prettiest stride in the world and he could stand to further improve his footwork along with his acceleration as he can be slow getting to pucks.
  • Swedish Poster: He’s a big kid at 6’3 and already past 200 pounds. He’s an overager, (now) 19. His draft year was sort of a comeback year after missing a lot of time the previous two seasons due to a broken arm or maybe it was a leg. This year he was up to speed and delivered one hell of a season offensively nearly hitting PPG. As is usually the case with productive D the majority of the points came on the PP where his big shot from the blue line was full value. He scored at nearly a goal per game and a lot was due to his great shot. He got better and better as the season rolled along, one thing I like to look at for guys in swedish juniors is how they produce in the Superelit top 10 part of the season, what that means is after Christmas the top 5 teams of the northern and southern divisions are put together into one 10 team league where they play for the playoff spots. It’s interesting because the level of play goes up and there are fewer teams to pad your stats against. In that segment of the year he scored 1.31 PPG over 16 games. For a D that’s pretty amazing. Small sample obviously but combined with his overall scoring the whole year it paints a very flattering picture offensively. Source

CULLEN’S CHANCES-BERGLUND AT NO. 91 OVERALL

• “Average” is a minor leaguer, under 50 NHL games
  • The best in this range are men like Alex Edler
  • There’s a 4.8% chance he’ll be at least a top four defender
  • There’s a 24% chance he will play 100 games in his career.
  • There’s a 90.5% chance he’ll be just an NHL regular or worse.
  • Source

PREVIOUS TOP 20 RANKING

• Summer 2016: No. 9
  • Winter 2016: No. 11

These are early days for young Berglund, and his ranking in the middle of the Top 20 is based on more potential than delivery. That said, he is playing in Sweden’s top league and beginning to take on more playing time. These are good arrows.

2016-17

SHL NUMBERS (BERGLUND V. KLEFBOM)

berglund-v-klefbom

I present this not to suggest that Filip Berglund should be considered on the same level as Klefbom—clearly the evidence here tells a different story. However, we should also take in what the young man has accomplished so far in his 19-year old season. I have him behind junior defenders Ethan Bear and Caleb Jones on this Top 20, and that seems right at this point. There have been surges in playing time (last five games: 6:09, 11:15, 13:21, 13:06 and 4:54) and that is also a positive sign. The SHL site has Berglund now at 6.028 and 209 pounds. He will have NHL size if and when he arrives.

• Swedish Poster: After sitting out the first two games Filip Berglund got his first few minutes of the season when Skellefteå won 3-2 tonight. He was the 7th D and only got 7:30ish of TOI so he didn’t have time to put much of a mark on the game.
  • Swedish Poster: I wouldn’t worry too much about his early lack of ice time. This is usually the road for young D in the SHL, especially more offensively gifted ones. They have to earn their trust over the vets and really take the chance when given, and Skellefteå do have a solid group of vets on and they won’t be easy to leapfrog.
  • Swedish Poster: If he still struggles with ice time in 1-2 months they usually loan them to an Allsvenskan team if they feel he needs more regular ice time. It’s not a bad route at all.
  • Swedish Poster: A lot of the time the player is much improved and gets much more ice time as the year rolls along in either allsvenskan or the SHL. I’m personally encouraged that he gets an early taste, despite only one injured D (former NHL tweener Kyle Cumiskey btw).

THE FUTURE

In placing Berglund here, we reach the end of the group of defensemen (there are five) who are both developing and can be termed two-way defenders. The group after this may have one strong dimension that exceeds these names (Matt Benning, Ziyat Paigin, Ethan Bear, Caleb Jones, Berglund) but cannot be counted on to emerge as complete talents.

Berglund’s progress has been interesting, and his gathering of points/playing time give us some hope. His size/skill package would be very useful in the NHL, and added to his passing ability there may be a player here. It will be interesting to see if Berglund comes over next fall—there could be a logjam, although Peter Chiarelli may set free a murder of defensemen from the AHL.

THE 2016 DRAFT

• Jesse Puljujarvi—No. 4 overall. Edmonton has another tremendous talent in Puljujarvi, who is an aware player all over the ice at 18—very rare. He has shown real flashes off offense, but is on pace for 29 points in 78 games—some may feel that is low for a lottery pick (it is in the range of my RE back in the summer). No. 1 prospect, Winter Top 20.
  • Tyler Benson—No. 32 overall. Injury made him unable to showcase his talent during training camp, but once back with the Vancouver Giants (WHL) he established himself as a bona fide talent. He is currently 22gp, 8-16-24 on an offensively challenged team. No. 2 prospect, Winter Top 20.
  • Markus Niemelainen—No. 63 overall. Niemelainen is a big (6.05, 200 on draft day) defenseman with speed and raw skills. He has two-way ability but that has not shown itself in Saginaw (OHL) where he has just two points in 21 games this season. Ranked inside Top 20.
  • Matthew Cairns—No. 84 overall. He is another defenseman who has much development ahead, but in this case there appears to be an offensive payoff clearly visible. Now 14gp, 0-4-4 with the Fargo Force. He is big and has a nice range of skills.
  • Filip Berglund—No. 91 overall. He is the most interesting defenseman in the group, owing to both range of skills and the fact he is already playing in a pro league (SHL, 20gp, 0-4-4). Has enough finesse to be considered a puck mover, he has good vision and is an excellent passer. A very nice skill set. NHLE is 10 points—but that is playing eight minutes a night. No. 11 prospect, Winter Top 20.
  • Dylan Wells—No. 123 overall. Began very strong and has now fallen back to .913SP. Still major progress and he is hanging in while playing for a challenged team. Candidate for Top 20.
  • Graham McPhee, No. 149 overall. Intriguing selection (Corey Pronman liked him) and I wonder if he is (like Niemelainen and Cairns) something of a draft and follow. His early Boston College numbers (16gp, 0-4-4) are solid, but so much of college hockey numbers depend on playing time. Kind of a mystery at this point. Candidate for Top 20.
  • Aapeli Rasanen, No. 153 overall.  He is an early candidate for top draft steal among the Oilers kids chosen after No. 100 (USHL numbers—16gp, 4-11-15). A true center, he is an excellent passer who can finish, plays in all disciplines and is a fine face-off man. An impressive group of skills for so late in the draft, he is described as having average foot speed. Inside the Top 20.
  • Vincent Desharnais, No. 183 overall. His season started late (the big brains at Providence College are doing the book learning early) but now stands at 8gp, 1-0-1. Steve Kournianos told us in summer that Providence was bringing in youngsters like Jacob Bryson and that playing time was going to be an issue. Outside the Top 20.

ROLLING TOP 20

rolling-top-20

• The Oilers five best defensive prospects (according to my list) are all outside the AHL at this time. That suggests to me we could see a mass exodus from the Condors current group of defensemen next summer during contract time.
  • The forwards badly need more offensive types, suspect we will see plenty of attention on that area at the draft table and in college free agency come the offseason.
  • Of the 11 men listed here, eight have been procured during the Peter Chiarelli era. Only Jujhar Khaira, Anton Slepyshev and Tyler Pitlick remain.
  • If you were to say that Jesse Puljujarvi is the only lock, and that the other 10 men could fall short of 200 career games, I don’t think anyone could reasonably disagree. Benning does seem to be a pretty strong bet based on early results, but this is first blush.
  • The 2010 Winter Top 20 boasted four actual NHL players in Hall, Eberle, Dubnyk and Petry—plus a few who could still get there someday. That should be considered the outer marker for any December list.

35 Responses to "OILERS NO. 11 PROSPECT (winter 2016): FILIP BERGLUND"

1. stush18 says:

You know my thoughts on this. Lol

stush18:
    You know my thoughts on this. Lol

Actually, many do not. Always good to share with the group.

3. John Chambers says:

Thanks LT

The great thing about these series is that they allow you to benchmark a player and his cohorts, then laugh at yourself in the future.

I currently have it:
    Benning
    Jones
    Bear
    Paigin
    Berglund

One I’ll likely have under-projected while one or two will have severely undershot their potential.

John Chambers:
    Thanks LT

I currently have it:
    Benning
    Jones
    Bear
    Paigin
    Berglund

Lol. Yes. I think the idea (or at least my approach) is to make a list of things you value and then go from there.

5. stush18 says:

Lowetide: Actually, many do not. Always good to share with the group.

*grabs pitchfork* here we go.

Despite your rankings not being based on proximity to the NHL , it seems like a slight to someone like reinhart who (IMO) will have a much longer career.

Now it’s harder to say this after reinhart laid a giant turd at training camp this year, but I’m still fairly confident he will have a longer career.

Reinhart is in a tough spot because of being LH dman, not carrying any significant offense, trying to break in when chia has done a pretty good job of blocking him, and his injury right at the start of the year.

If I were doing a ranking, my girlfriend would have my left me by now, because she already thinks I spend too much time on hockey. Haha but also, I would not give out such high jumps to players (say paigan), because it’s a long road. You could make an arguement that his ranking this year is based off last years offense, and while impressive, could be a one year anomaly. He is injured and has not made any noticeable improvements, and his history suggests that is not the type of player he is.

I also wouldn’t nick players too hard for having a bad season. Imo reinhart played better at the NHL level than nurse last year, but has fallen down the rankings rather sharply. This has nothing to do with me being against our d prospects either. I know you use the petry, wild, chorney comparison, but I really believe we have some NHL calibre prospects in bear, jones, paigan, and berglund. These aren’t musil, Simpson, hesketh or bigos.

Smooth the curve, rather than track the sharp spikes. Place reinhart ahead of berglund

6. Confused says:

So who do you see remaining Reinhart, Betker, Simpson?

7. Bruce Wayne says:

If your criteria is who is most likely to have an NHL career, then the list will always be biased towards players in the AHL. But the other side of this is that by having a list biased towards players in the AHL then you will also have a list biased towards players with lower ceilings.

The have to improve less to be NHL players but they also have less room to improve.

I think that is the wrong criteria, and for the same reason I think that games played is the wrong measure of success.

So I kind of agree that Reinhart is likely to play more games than Berglund, but Berglund is the better prospect, mostly because Reinhart is not a prospect at all. What is Reinhart’s upside? Eric Gryba? Well, Eric Gryba is worth what, a 3rd or 4th round pick at this point?

Reinhart has no chance to be anything but a back of the roster player. A 5% chance of being a good player is a better prospect than Reinhart, even though Reinhart will almost certainly play more games than Berglund.

8. kinger_OIL says:

– Great post LT: You do way more work on this, and I value your opinion on prospects by a factor of 10 over mine. Having said that, I don’t know whay I feel so strongly that you are out to lunch on this call

– It doesn’t matter, becasue its a list, but an overager, with I see as having no offensive background, and miles away from the NHL vs say Osterle, Griff, Musil, Simpson: all who have shown some levels of success in leagues way more developed than Berglund.

– I get he’s a fancy new thing, and I should just shut my mouth becasue I love this series, and all the work you do. Again, you know way better than me, so don’t put much weight in my opnion!

– I mean we are in the also-rans by now, but I’d give any of Osterle, Griff, Musil, Simpson a much greater chance of making the NHL. His numbers aren’t great, he hasn’t scored in the SHL yet, I don’t see the range of abilities, compared to the 4 I mention. They were all great at one level of hockey. Berglund not so much:

*see Kinger run away, and log in frequently to see if he’s been banned!*

Kinger: Glad you are enjoying the series.

10. kooler says:

Is this correct……Oil tied for the least amount of points in last 10 games with Buffalo, 7 pts.

11. kinger_OIL says:

Kinger: Glad you are enjoying the series.

– Lowetide: Glad you are not benching me for insubordination!

12. wheatnoil says:

The skating issues concern me but the offensive ability helps. 91 is a good spot to take a guy like this.

I know your list values a range of skills but I’m a little surprised not seeing Lagesson ahead of Berglund. Though, between him and Laleggia I’m never sure how many damn Ls and Gs to include & so understand why you might not like him. 🙂

Edit: Not to mention those As and Es. I have to look both of them up every time I have to write them.

13. LadiesloveSmid says:

His goal scoring numbers last season are hard to ignore. Will definitely follow him closer.

Guess it is a good thing he is signed in Skelleftea for another season. Bear, Jones, Paigin, maybe an off chance of Lagesson (though I doubt it) could all be in Bakersfield next season. Who’s gone? Musil?

Benning being as good as he has, has really changed the complexion of the bottom of the D. Reinhart should be traded for magic beans, they’re the same age and 6th rounder Benning is eating his lunch. Davidson expendable? Don’t think they could trade Sekera and Klef/Nurse on the left side

14. wheatnoil says:

LadiesloveSmid,

Next year Laleggia (I had to look him up again, I JUST wrote his name) and Oesterle will both be 25. Dillon Simpson and David Musil will both be 24. Laleggia probably stays because he’ll be waiver exempt. You’d have to think that only 1 of the other 3 will be still be around though.

Meanwhile, this year on the farm they’ve already signed a couple PTOs and Fraser to play D.

I think there’ll be room down on the farm for whoever wants to come over. That said, I agree that Berglund might benefit waiting a year and then coming down so even more room can clear out.

15. SwedishPoster says:

This seems like a good time for me to chime in. Working the night shift so I have a chance to post before closing time(you know when the women have thrown their blouses off and the men dance on the polka dots as an absent friend once sang).

Berglund is still playing every night though usually not getting big minutes. The team as a whole is struggling, they have a bunch of injuries and has been playing seven U20 players most nights. Several of the kids have gotten pretty tough critique from the fans, among them Berglund who’s getting lauded for not playing well enough defensively and not using his body enough. He certainly need to amp up the physicality but he’s a rookie so some of it should be forgiven. Defensively it’s far from perfect but the fans are a bit overcritical imo, he holds his own and actually leads the team in +/-, limited stat I know but still a sign that he’s not completely overwhelmed.

On the plus side he always find away to contribute offense, four helpers so far despite almost zero PP time and even more impressive is his ability to generate shots with his limited ice time he’s close to 6 SOG/60. He finds a way to get that big cannon off.

A work in progress and not dominant by any stretch, more like barely threading water. But there are positives and being an offensively minded D in his SHL rookie season is historically tough. I still hope they loan him to an Allsvenskan club for a stretch so he can find his range but as long as Skellefteå has the injuries they have he’ll stay up.

16. kinger_OIL says:

– totally off topic: going to be in Washington Dec 19th. I am there for the Washington vs Carolina MNF. Anyone been to a game there before? Any tips? Seems like plenty of single tickets available

17. frjohnk says:

SwedishPoster,

Thanks for that.

Any chance he plays in the world jrs this year?
    Who are some comparables on the high end? Low end?

Sorry probably putting you on the spot.
    But as an Oilers fan, Im sure you are Ok with that 🙂

18. SwedishPoster says:

frjohnk,

I think his limited ice time and the tough competition leaves him on the sidelines unless they feel the need for a big blue line blast on the PP. But Timothy Liljegren has the offensively gifted RHD position written in stone.
    His high end comp is a poor mans Brent Burns imo if we’re talking style, at least the dominant junior version of Berglund , but a lot has to go right for that to happen. Low end is a bottom pairing D with a big shot. But it’s hard to say much before he’s comfortable in the SHL, who you are in juniors and who you are against men tend to differ. A lot of players have to reinvent themselves.

19. flea says:

kinger_OIL,

Kinger, I was just in DC a few weeks ago, and I grabbed a last minute ticket for Wash/Pitt. Wasn’t planning on going, but at the last minute on the ticketmaster exchange a seat came up for $22USD. Couldn’t say no to that! So I guess my tip is that you can wait pretty late to get a ticket in the upper deck for really cheap. Sightlines are very good up there, the seats are a little tight but overall it was a great place to watch from.

If you want a better seat you might need to look earlier but really watch the exchanges, it seems like new seats show up all the time.

All the vendors seem to take CC, I was worried because I didn’t have cash but you can get the big 24oz beers for $12 US which I didn’t think was that bad. They have wi fi in the venue and around the venue but it’s spotty, I did get a tweet away during the game though!

I cabbed in and when the game was done, I walked southwest for 15-20 min, saw the White house, 15 min walk south of that – Washington Monument – and about 15 minutes west of there is the Lincoln Memorial. They don’t mean a whole hell of a lot to me as a Canadian but were cool to see at night and no crowds!

Enjoy!

20. Ryan says:

Fun question.

Last year we collectively laughed at the idea of RNH for Dumba trade. The whole idea was hilarious.

I know that I was fairly alone in my big short on RNH this offseason, but do we look differently on that potential trade now given the contract differences between those two players along with the reality that RNH is prorated to 10 goals and 35 points on this season?

Ryan:
    Fun question.

22. Chachi says:

Ryan:
    Fun question.

I would rather hang onto RNH. Maybe if he ever puts up a 50 point season he can get traded for someone much much better than Dumba.

23. OilClog says:

Who is going to shake lose in Florida?

Lhd, Lhd, Pouliot for Rhd, Rhd, jagr? Not saying 68 is worth 67 but might help 97 for the year more?

24. OF17 says:

kinger_OIL:
    – totally off topic: going to be in Washington Dec 19th.I am there for the Washington vs Carolina MNF.Anyone been to a game there before?Any tips?Seems like plenty of single tickets available

It’s late, so I’m not sure you’ll see this, but I lived in DC for a year and went to a few games while there. Definitely take the metro. The station stops right under Verizon Center, literally the same building as the stadium. Obviously it can be packed after games, so if you’re looking for something to drink while it calms down, there’s a good place a few blocks away called City Tap House which has an ungodly number of beers available. Food is pretty good too. Like almost anywhere in DC, it’s expensive though. How long will you be in DC?

I could go on for a while about things to do/eat/drink/see in DC, so if you’re interested in more recommendations, let me know.

25. jp says:

kinger_OIL:

Berglund In the J18 league:
    12-13 20-2-13-15
    13-14 15-4-5-9
    14-15 10-5-8-13

Then in the J20:
    13-14 5-0-0-0
    14-15 37-1-10-11
    15-16 43-19-22-41
    16-17 2-1-1-2

That 14-15 J20 season is really the only one where he doesn’t look like an offensive contributor. Many many miles to go for this player though.

26. kinger_OIL says:

jp: Agree with many of the points (as well as his skating being a concern), but he DOES have a history of offence prior to last year.

Berglund In the J18 league:
    12-13 20-2-13-15
    13-14 15-4-5-9
    14-15 10-5-8-13

Then in the J20:
    13-14 5-0-0-0
    14-15 37-1-10-11
    15-16 43-19-22-41
    16-17 2-1-1-2

– That 15-16 season he was an overager, so I discount that a lot. All those other years don’t scream offense to me. Look at what Griff did in Junoir. Dillon Simpson, not considered an offensive D, has scored more in college than Berglund in kid leagues. I only count goals to evaluate offence for D at lower levels, and he doesn’t score much.

– Anyways it’s only a list, LT knows way more: I think we both agree that he is a long shot at best.

27. kinger_OIL says:

OF17,

– Sure I would be: I’m actually considering going to the Football game on Monday: not hockey (they aren’t playing then). A cool pre-football game pub to eat at would be great, maybe a breakfast place.

– I’ve done the Monuments tours, Whitehouse, Museums etc.

28. frjohnk says:

Time to go on another winning streak.

It seems like the grasp on the possibility of playoffs is slowly slipping away ( yes, I know lots of runway left)

But those points we banked in October are gone.

Right now we are in 10th with 26 points in 23 games. Still 1st in the Pacific, but its tight, 4 points separating us the Flames who are in 5th. Good thing we won both meetings this year.

Last year on Dec 15th, we were 20th with 30 points in 31 games ( playoff spot in the Pacific) until the injuries and not being good enough were too much and we folded.

We go into another tailspin, we wont be far from that mark.

Gotta win tonight.

29. jp says:

kinger_OIL: – That 15-16 season he was an overager, so I discount that a lot.All those other years don’t scream offense to me.Look at what Griff did in Junoir.Dillon Simpson, not considered an offensive D, has scored more in college than Berglund in kid leagues.I only count goals to evaluate offence for D at lower levels, and he doesn’t score much.

Yes we clearly both agree Reinhart > Berglind.

I do still think Berglund’s numbers (and scouting report) suggest substantial offense though.

I also don’t agree with your examples. Iirc (going off memory here) Reinhart topped out at 30something pts in jr. Pretty poor offense for a prejected NHLer (and quite similar to Musil’s jr numbers).

And I think Simpson’s best college season was 24 pts. I’d argue what Berglind has done (offensively, presumably the rest of his game is not on par) is at lesat comparable to both Reinhart and Musil.

But you’re right, it’s just a list, and time will answer most of these unknowns!

30. russ99 says:

I’m really looking forward to drafting somewhere in the lower middle next year and taking a skill forward who we can develop properly in the AHL.

31. Bruce Wayne says:

Ryan:
    Fun question.

I thought, and think, that RNH for Dumba was better than Hall for Larsson.

Larsson is better than Dumba, but Hall is much better than RNH. Plus that would save you from the Lucic contract. Sign Demers with the Lucic money, pick up a 3rd line center late in free agency with the Russell money, and the team is miles ahead of where they are now.

32. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Bruce Wayne,

Miles ahead?

So undefeated? 1st place in the league?

33. Scungilli says:

Bruce Wayne: I thought, and think, that RNH for Dumba was better than Hall for Larsson.

Larsson is better than Dumba, but Hall is much better than RNH.Plus that would save you from the Lucic contract.Sign Demers with the Lucic money, pick up a 3rd line center late in free agency with the Russell money, and the team is miles ahead of where they are now.

Maybe if Leon was ready but I’m not seeing it at centre yet

34. CrazyCoach says:

SwedishPoster: What I think we can say with certainty is that he’s a few years away, he’s a late bloomer who missed crucial developement time with injury, he won’t come storming into the NHL anytime soon. At least one more season in the SHL and then some AHL time at the very least, unless he takes a crazy leap in his progress.

Thanks for your insight!

I see Skelleftea has fallen on hard times this year after going to the finals for a few years.

Where are you from? I have family all over Sweden, in places like Umea, Uppsala, and Heby, but my great grandfather was originally from Tobo