G24 2016-17: MAPLE LEAFS AT OILERS

The Toronto Maple Leafs are in a similar spot to that of the Edmonton Oilers: Second division teams with lots of pieces, lacking balance, while building for a brand new day. Edmonton should beat Toronto to glory, but they should be ahead of a bunch of teams. The Oilers ‘you are here’ sign is a long, long way from Stanley.

cyber_monday_ad

BACK PAGES

A lot of my youth was spent talking about hair, and hair was a lot about the generation gap. All of my Dad’s friends and co-workers looked like Floyd Smith, and the Maple Leafs represented that generation well. Hard work all week, let loose on a Friday night, Saturday for the chores and shopping, church Sunday.

The next generation didn’t follow that line of thinking. Take Mike Walton as an example. As a young Leaf, he needed only age and weather to end up like Floyd Smith. Once Walton got traded to the Bruins, he started to resemble the 1970s. My Dad hated all of it, especially the Bruins. Hippies and hoods, he called them. He would argue with my brother (the eldest) about hair through the early part of the 1970s, but I only knew one thing for sure. I was not going to end up with a Floyd Smith haircut.

SOUTH PACIFIC! YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0, goal differential -7
  • Oilers in October 2016: 7-2-0, goal differential +10
  • Oilers in November 2015: 4-7-2, goal differential -6
  • Oilers in November 2016: 5-7-2 goal differential -1
  • Oilers after 23, 2015: 7-14-2, goal differential -13
  • Oilers after 23, 2016: 12-9-2, goal differential +9

G24 a year ago was a win for Edmonton, via the shootout versus eventual Stanley Cup champion Pittsurgh Penguins. Edmonton will not reach our goal (15 points in 15 games) but could end up with 14 with a win tonight—close enough for jazz. With the sweet Colorado victory a distant bell courtesy the mad dogs of Phoenix, the Oilers arrive at this game at the corner of Queen and Bowie.

DEFENSIVE PAIRINGS, BY 5X5 MINUTES TOGETHER

1. Klefbom—Larsson 329 minutes (52.17 Corsi for 5×5/60)
  2. Sekera—Russell 226 minutes (47.46 Corsi for 5×5/60)
  3. Nurse—Gryba 182 minutes (53.64 Corsi for 5×5/60)
  4. Nurse—Benning 101 minutes (53.92 Corsi for 5×5/60)
  5. Sekera—Benning 82 minutes (55.33 Corsi for 5×5/60)
  6. Source

There are all kinds of things we can figure out from here:

• The top pairing is effective in possession, and have averaged 14 minutes together each game. Klefbom’s added offense is a nice touch, but there are calm moments in games now. I imagine this tandem will get better as the years go by.
  • Sekera—Russell continue to be an adventure in possession, but they are two veterans who give the coach a feeling of calm. I think it might have something to do with the pairing’s 106 PDO, but we shall see. Sometimes these strange numbers hang up in the rafters far longer than predicted.
  • Todd McLellan has made his choice on the third pairing, and he chose offense. Benning over Gryba is something Floyd Smith would never have contemplated and that’s for sure. Interesting to see the possession numbers so similar with Nurse’s two partners.  Matt Benning isn’t giving up a thing in Corsi compared to Gryba, and he was golden with Sekera, too.

fayne capture

MARK FAYNE

I would play Mark Fayne with Andrej Sekera and grab possession. I know this is akin to reefer madness, but the wacky abacus in my brain won’t shut up about that blasted possession number. Mr. Fayne is on waivers today, and with his salary there is every chance the streets of Bakersfield are in his future. The life and times of Earl Weaver and Whitey Herzog taught me that there is more than one way to run a railroad, so the speed of Kris Russell wins this battle going away for Todd McLellan.

FORWARD LINES, SCORING CHANCES FOR PERCENTAGE

1. Maroon—Draisaitl—Puljujarvi 76.47 SCF% in 70 minutes
  2. Lucic—McDavid—Puljujarvi 71.43 SCF% in 63 minutes
  3. Maroon—Nuge—Eberle 65.22 SCF% in 57 minutes
  4. Lucic—McDavid—Eberle 59.18 SCF%  in 124 minutes
  5. Maroon—McDavid—Eberle 57.14 SCF% in 78 minutes
  6. Pouliot—Nuge—Kassian 55.17 SCF% in 97 minutes
  7. Lander—Letestu—Pitlick 46.67 SCF% in 57 minutes
  8. Source

The solutions for a successful line in Edmonton this year appear to be focused on Connor McDavid, Patrick Maroon and Jesse Puljujarvi. Huh. This is just one view of the world mind you, but the Oilers should be able to cobble together two effective lines here.

Todd McLellan has the No. 2 choice above (McDavid line), and the No. 1 option above with Eberle sliding in for JP. Interesting. Pouliot-Nuge look good above, and adding Slepyshev in over Kassian gives the team more speed on a skill line—always a good idea. The No. 7 option is the 4line, with Hendricks in for Lander. Sound reasonable? I like the lines as published yesterday, let’s see how things look tonight against Toronto.

muir capture

AIDAN MUIR

Guy Flaming and Taylor Medak from the Pipeline Show spoke to Western Michigan coach Andy Murray on the weekend. The update on Aidan Muir: He is out long term with nerve/tendon/ligament damage on the wrist. He’s undergone surgery. This is what Murray said about Muir’s progress since his arrival:

• Andy Murray: Aidan had a real good freshman year for us, second year for whatever reason, focus was not there the same way. He struggled last season. This summer, he took a huge step forward, refocused, prepared really well and was playing as well as anyone on our team when he got hurt. He’s going to come back, he’s got a chance. He is a big forward and he has some belief in his game. Source

Muir is listed at 6.04, 212 on the Western Michigan site. The PF would certainly fit in with Peter Chiarelli’s template for wingers, and the team could step off several pro players next summer. RFAs include Iiro Pakarinen, Tyler Pitlick, Anton Lander, Jujhar Khaira, Mitchell Moroz, Bogdan Yakimov, Jere Sallinen, Zack Pochiro, with the only F UFA being Matt Hendricks.

The Oilers have very few forwards who are bubbling under in college, junior or pro. Peter Chiarelli could sign any of Muir, Tyler Vesel, Evan Campbell and he could add Tyler Benson if he makes the big club in 2017-18—which seems a stretch. What does that mean? I think we see another active spring and summer in college free agency. I also think there is an excellent chance many of those RFAs return.

puljujarvi-caggiula2

HEARTACHES BY THE NUMBER

We won’t know for sure about the lineups until Mike Babcock tells us, but Leon’s trip up the depth chart to 97’s line could see a few sessions tonight. Leon Draisaitl is going to be important because he can move up and down, and across, on the skill lines.

5×5/60 Centers

1. Connor McDavid 3.23
  2. Leon Draisaitl 1.79
  3. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 1.41
  4. Mark Letestu 1.37
  5. Drake Caggiula 1.01

RNH is off the rails a little offensively, Edmonton badly needs the veteran to deliver some kind of 5×5 offense (his shooting percentage is currently beyond belief, one goal on 52 5×5 shots). I don’t see him hitting line drives of late, so that might be a longer term item. Leon? Well, he is moving north and Edmonton badly needs him to keep on keeping on.

slepy capture

TROUBLES BY THE SCORE

5×5/60 Left Wingers

1. Matt Hendricks 1.58 (in just 38 minutes)
  2. Patrick Maroon 1.55
  3. Milan Lucic 1.46
  4. Benoit Pouliot 1.01

5×5/60 Right Wingers

1. Tyler Pitlick 2.01
  2. Anton Slepyshev 1.95
  3. Jordan Eberle 1.85
  4. Jesse Puljujarvi 1.68

The LWs should be a good group, Lucic is finally posting some crooked numbers at 5×5 and is on pace for 82, 25-32-57. Maroon hasn’t scored much lately but he will at some point, possibly tonight. Pouliot is the concern here, this is a helluva slump he is in. If he is healthy, one should expect a breakout and then some real sustain (like Hendrix at Woodstock) over a couple of weeks.

Right wing has the maligned Eberle (headed for something like 82, 25-36-61) along with three talented kids trying to make a go of it in the big city. I like JP on any line really, but he needs to score on those beautiful McDavid gifts.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Another fun show today, with smart people with sharp hair! TSN1260, 10 this morning, scheduled to appear:

• Scott Burnside, ESPN. Las Vegas has a name and a lot of chatter about possible players. Plus, McDavid plays on national television in the USA for the first time tonight.
  • Jonathan Willis, Oilers Nation. The Oilers were 2-1-1 last week, but people are angry. Jon will explain why, and we will discuss market correction and where we should reasonably expect the team to settle in the Pacific Division.
  • Scott Cullen, TSN. A classic Grey Cup in Toronto, Leafs—Oilers tonight, building teams up front before the back end is taken care of and why it is difficult.
  • Jeff Veillette, Leafs Nation. Dougie Hamilton rumors have Toronto agog, that mean old Kadri, how much does Mike Babcock think Connor McDavid should play?

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Fun lineup!

552 Responses to "G24 2016-17: MAPLE LEAFS AT OILERS"

« Older Comments
  1. Dicky94 says:

StixMalone,

I would trade for Wideman right now. That’s how desperate their power play is.

2. Gret99zky says:

Réal Goudenyéu:
    Are we winning the fancies though?

Of course. And it paints a beautiful picture. Breathtaking!

HDSC 7-5 for Toronto, 32-20 Edmonton in the Corsi run. I would bring in Gustavsson, even though this isn’t on Talbot. Oscar with the -3. Lordy.

4. Ice Sage says:

Thanks for all the encouraging words this year Lowetide.

As we get on, we learn that there are things in life worth investing in and things that will, like Lucy with the football, tempt us with false promise and bring us shame and pain.
    Being a fan(atic) is one of these things and I’m trying to be less self-defeating in many ways!

That 20 game run is something I’ll remember for a while…

Will check the standings in a few months. It’s healthier that way.

5. russ99 says:

OmJo: Agree completely.

At the time I was glad we got McLellan and missed out on Babcock, after seeing how he coached Eberle and Hall at the IIHF tournament two years ago. But the honeymoon is over, and the results just aren’t there.

The refusal to change the systems, whether 5v5 or PP, is infuriating at this point. What will it take for the coaching staff to adapt and change things? This team isn’t the Sharks. And they’ll never be the Sharks. Or the Bruins, for that matter. So why not coach them to be the Oilers? And build them to be the Oilers?

Gotta look at coaching.

We may be wearing down due to the string of every other night games, but we just can’t go to the well against every team home or road with the exact same strategies,

Almost think Arsene Wenger is our coach.

6. OmJo says:

Having the World Jrs here every other year is kind of cool.

TOM RENNEY! I miss him, too.

7. McSorley33 says:

Head Coach : Todd Mclellan

Asst. Coach : Jay Woodcraft

Asst. Coach: Jim Johnson

8. Clarkenstein says:

Good night Ladies and Gentlemen.

Ice Sage:
    Thanks for all the encouraging words this year Lowetide.

That 20 game run is something I’ll remember for a while…

Will check the standings in a few months.It’s healthier that way.

Enjoy, Ice Sage. There is a whole world out there! 🙂

10. Scungilli says:

kb:
    Someone better blow up Kadri for being a shithead.
    Very frustrating game for sure.

To my way of thinking if a Chia hire doesn’t blow Kadri up, he (Chia) should be fired. I would bet Hall would stick him to defend Connor.

I dislike watching plodding hockey players, so if I have to they had better stand up, every time.

11. StixMalone says:

Interviewing Renney now. Maybe Tmac can get some pointers….

12. Lucinius says:

I’m done for the night. If I wanted to deal with something this painful and uncomfortable I’d have gotten a colonoscopy. At least that could lead to something unlike the Oilers.

13. jzed says:

Pull Talbot, rest our best player, roll 2, 3 and 4 and double shit centres to cover 1st line wingers. As close to a bag skate as you can get in a game.

For next game, go back to what you last won a game with.

14. Klima's_Bucket says:

I miss Kurtis Foster.
    And Corey Potter.

15. russ99 says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    I miss Kurtis Foster.
    And Corey Potter.

I don’t. LOL

But it would be nice to see Chiarelli add another needed NHL player to the mix, and send some players down.

It’s after US thanksgiving, teams should be trading again.

16. flyfish1168 says:

Connor needs to call an all Players meeting and air some stuff out. Need to talk it out as a team and then bring it to the coaches. JMHO

17. Professor Q says:

Man that Draisaitl shot still rings in my ears. 🙁

I’m actually…feeling…tonight. I’m usually optimistic and attempt to be sage, but I don’t feel in line with that right now.

18. StixMalone says:

I miss Sheldon Souray…

19. Gret99zky says:

You know who’s going to kick this Toronto team’s ass tomorrow? The Flames. FML.

20. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Lol kadri 3 points 8 shots. The leafs are running the oilers show. Except for the Corsi, of course.

21. OmJo says:

You know what RD has a pretty decent slap shot and was available for a PTO this summer?

James fucking Wisniewski.

Before somebody mentions it, yes he only has 1G and 3pts in the KHL so far. I have no idea what the team he is on looks like, or plays like. All I know is a couple of years ago he was a solid 3RD-PP guy and he has a good shot. Was hoping all summer we’d give him a look, but nope. He checked off the need for an RD and a PP QB, and could have been had for probably league minimum – or half of Russell’s salary.

22. Dicky94 says:

russ99,

Corey Crosscheck?

23. McSorley33 says:

Dallas Eakins would be proud of some of these defensive breakdowns.

24. sliderule says:

I am staying for every bloody minute.

I am now watching a Kadri vs Connor and ready to throw my beer at screen.

The talent is there but I misjudged Tmac

25. OmJo says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    I miss Kurtis Foster.
    And Corey Potter.

lol

I miss Geoff Sanderson.

26. jake70 says:

StixMalone:
    I miss Sheldon Souray…

The 2008-09 version would fit in real nice.

27. Ryan says:

We all get frustrated losing to bottom-feeders, but the reality is that this is a good litmus test.

Playoff teams don’t typically drop three in a row to Arizona x2 and the Leafs.

Outside of the record, what’s more disappointing is that the Oilers still don’t look like a well-coached team.

28. StixMalone says:

I have a toothache and an emergency dentist appointment tomorrow morning first thing. To ease my suffering I’m going to decline freezing and tell the dentist to just pull out the tooth with needle nose pliers from his tool box. It will probably feel better than this misery of a game….

29. Dicky94 says:

Get a quick one and the Oil will win this yet. McDavid hat trick.

30. McSorley33 says:

flyfish1168,

Connor: Mark, can you pull a hamstring?

Letestu: Okay, Connor.

Tmac’s head explodes.

31. OmJo says:

Todd McLellan kind of reminds me of Crowley from Supernatural, minus the British accent.

32. Réal Goudenyéu says:

0/6 here we come!

33. OmJo says:

Oilers PP… well, we’ll have 16 minutes to score 3 goals after this.

34. StixMalone says:

This team is playing reactive hockey instead of proactive…

35. Réal Goudenyéu says:

StixMalone:
    This team is playing reactive hockey instead of proactive…

Yeah exactly I said that in the first period.

36. OmJo says:

After 20 games this season, I wouldn’t even trade Hall for Lucic + Larsson, not so much because Larsson but because Lucic is just… smh.

37. OmJo says:

Well, hopefully we get Pitlick and Slepyshev back onto the ice for next game.

Go with the lineup that got us 3 wins in a row, not the one that’s gotten us three losses in a row.

38. OmJo says:

McDavid with a beauty. The only reason I’m still watching this game.

McDavid scored.

40. StixMalone says:

Réal Goudenyéu: Yeah exactly I said that in the first period.

Great minds think alike lol

41. Professor Q says:

Connor McDavid is my Snickers bar.

42. Diablo says:

McDavid is the only forward on this team who consistently takes the puck to the net. Really sick of watching RNH, Eberle and Draisaitl do the “button-hook” every time they enter the offensive zone.

43. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Too little too late.

The coaching staff is going to feel some heat after this game and as well they should. Mcdavid scores and then cue the immediate defense breakdown by the oilers.

I wish I could enjoy that goal more but i can’t. This team needs wins and meaningful games in February.

44. Ryan says:

McDavid scored.

Imagine if Nuge could produce offense.

I feel Iike every time I watch Nuge I feel mad at Taylor Hall for selling us a bill of goods.

45. Zelepukin says:

Nurse/Benning not having a great night in the ol’ puck retrieval /reverse strategy.

46. OmJo says:

Ryan: Imagine if Nuge could produce offense.

It’s not entirely on Nuge IMO. Not his fault our RW depth consists on one proven top six forward. He’s played with Taylor Hall and Eberle his entire career up until this season. Plus, he, Maroon and Eberle are due to start scoring if kept together. Emphasis on if, I’m sure once they do TMac will split them up again.

47. Jaxon says:

Lucic really needs to hire Adam Oates. So many pucks go off his stick. WTF?!

48. sliderule says:

I wonder if Benning was promised ice like the Drake.

Otherwise it just doesn’t make sense why they are not in AHL.

49. GMB3 says:

Drai loves playing the perimeter. RNH will be the guy traded too because he’s not as big as Drai, even though he plays a much harder game.

So much standing around.. the Oilers love hitting one forward deep in their zone and the lone Toronto forechecker pressures him into passing the puck to an Oiler forward standing still at the blueline with no momentum. They chip in it, get beat easily to the puck by a Leafs dman, and then Toronto just chips it out into the neutral zone and try it again. Jesus.

50. Jaxon says:

Why did Larsson stop skating on Hyman there? Let him have a shot.

51. OmJo says:

So it took McDavid to score before TMac decided to pull Talbot, reunite Pouliot with Nuge-Eberle?

And of course, rather than putting Maroon with McDavid, Lucic – who has done nothing in this game to deserve it – is with McDavid and Draisaitl.

We can be miserable, but we cannot be jerks. Cool? Cool.

53. OmJo says:

sliderule:
    I wonder if Benningwas promised ice like the Drake.

Otherwise it just doesn’t make sense why they are not in AHL.

Instead they waive Fayne and Lander to make room for them.

Only the old regime would promise college free agents ice time. Stanley Cup winning Chiarelli never would.

54. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

OmJo,

He’s on a five game point streak… that matters

55. Zelepukin says:

Gust, sometimes has this, I’m playing goalie for the first time body language.

56. StixMalone says:

GMB3:

When you only have a couple of plays and a stubborn coach that doesn’t change plays just players you can defend against them pretty easily. It’s like reading a book for the other coaches. Groundhog Day again….

57. SK Oiler Fan says:

Caggulia is not quick enough at this level. Potluck please

58. Gret99zky says:

Wish this team had hair on its ass.

59. Professor Q says:

We can be miserable, but we cannot be jerks. Cool? Cool.

Sorry…

60. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Missed the first two periods. Saw the highlights, looks like Talbot mailed it in just as much as the defense hung him out. 4/14 is pretty bad, hopefully the highlights weren’t telling the whole story.

I expect the world is ending tomorrow. Relax the Feds approved some pipelines today so this is just the universe balancing out

61. norm_klassen says:

does 15 games in nov a factor in this resent lul by the oil?

62. Yak Efron says:

McDavids crossovers during his goal literally looks fast forwarded.

63. flyfish1168 says:

SK Oiler Fan:
    Caggulia is not quick enough at this level. Potluck please

I hope he is in next game. Should not be sitting out. Jesse and Drake are not hard on the puck and badly needs to go down and get stronger and get more ice time. JMHO

64. spoiler says:

I’d be thinking about giving Soshnikov a game star, if I’m the announcers.

65. OmJo says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:

I think all four goals were a result of defensive breakdowns. Goals #2 and #3 definitely not on Talbot.

He could use a break though, I think he’s being overplayed.

EDIT: Four goals. I can’t count.

66. spoiler says:

Score, just to get into their heads.

67. spoiler says:

Or take a penalty.

68. Réal Goudenyéu says:

If the oilers continue playing as they have the last 3 games they will looking up at Calgary in the standings inside of 2 weeks. This is not a personnel issue.

69. JDï™ says:

Professor Q: Sorry…

Truth

70. Professor Q says:

How was that a penalty?

They never call that when it happens to Edmonton.

71. OmJo says:

norm_klassen,

I don’t think it explains poor defensive zone coverage, and dreadful powerplay “chances”. Just my opinion.

72. StixMalone says:

Looking at the December schedule and it doesn’t look good. How many scheduled losses???

73. Frank the dog says:

Ryan:

Playoff teams don’t typically drop three in a row to Arizona x2 and the Leafs.

We’ll never get Ralph Krieger or Todd Nelson back but I think both of those two would have done a better job of this team. But then I stopped watching after the first goal, then came back in time to catch the second goal against. So I cant speak to tonight’s reffing.

74. spoiler says:

Gustavsson looks like he was taught by Dominik Hasek’s 3rd cousin.

75. jake70 says:

Cmon Oilers, go off script here and score one,

76. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Ya normally I’m the first to defend but this is an extended funk now.

Go ahead and hemorrhage if you need to but this is a pretty decent skid over a few weeks here and I really hope they can pull out of it.

Sucks, for all those that want to yell “told you so” go nuts but remember what you are cheering for in that case.

77. OmJo says:

StixMalone:

What I do before doing exams in uni is expect myself to fail them, so that when I pass I feel better about it.

I’m going to try that with the Oilers in December, along with my exams. So I expect them to go winless in December.

78. Ryan says:

We can be miserable, but we cannot be jerks. Cool? Cool.

79. BeerMe says:

Ryan: I apologize. I wasn’t trying to be disrespectful. My point was that an additional fallout of the Taylor Hall trade was that it left us with two players–each of whom had their respective contracts artificially inflated by having played with Taylor Hall. (Eberle and Nuge).

It wasn’t you. Comment was deleted

80. Professor Q says:

At least one Leafs player got hurt. Too bad it was Brown and not Kadri.

81. Professor Q says:

Sorry. That was mean.

82. Réal Goudenyéu says:

I’m at the point where I’m just disappointed. I know they are better than this but they just keep shooting themselves in the foot with blown coverages, terrible starts, mediocre penalty killing and utterly anemic powerplays.

And I’d rather be mad than disappointed but that’s where I’m at – and it’s a terrible place to be.

83. Yak Efron says:

*changes channel to Apocalypse Now in an attempt to cheer up*

84. Oilspill says:

Our 4+ mil players are letting us down.

85. Wolfie says:

Until this team realizes it needs to get to the hard areas to score goals, they will continue to lose. It’s one thing to cycle the puck. But that’s supposed to create offence by getting the opponent to chase. The Oilers don’t create off the cycle. They kill the clock doing that. Fuck this team is aggravating… Lucic is a fine player but he’s not a river pusher like Hall. Nuge and Eberle need to be better or this team will continue to put up results like this one.

86. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Yak Efron:
    *changes channel to Apocalypse Now in an attempt to cheer up*

The horror indeed.

87. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Réal Goudenyéu,

My thoughts as well. Hence why I’m cheering like hell now. Self-inflicted injuries are the worst but theoretically they are correctable.

Jets next, should be a decent game.

88. Bling says:

I didn’t see the same sky on fire catastrophe that others saw. A couple of bad defensive breakdowns, Pou+RNH are completely snakebitten, and there is your result.

I think many on here would be singing a different tune if that RNH shot in the first period goes in and Talbot makes a couple tough saves and/or the D plays defence.

Gotta feel for the Nuge. The guy is skating miles and miles and the puck will not go in for him or his teammates.

89. JimmyV1965 says:

Ah. This is the Oil we’ve come to know and love. Now 5-9-2 since that hot start. WooHoo. Feel bad for McDavid. This team simply can’t score if he’s not involved.

90. Bling says:

One positive for me was the PP. It really looked great in the first period.

I really liked Nuge tonight, call me a blind optimist but I think he will break out soon.

91. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Bling,

It doesn’t matter now. The dogs are out and most folks these days seem to want a loss more than a win, validates their anger at management, though I now concede humbly that the coach is an issue with the power play.

Hopefully the team feels different and can gut out a good effort against the Jets

92. Oilanderp says:

One use of this game will be that it could be mentioned in LT’s post this day next year: “Oilers dropped a stinker to the Leafs last year.”

Man, and we won’t even care!

93. stush18 says:

Bling:

AGreed.

What’s LTs saying? Single moments and all that? The oilers were outchancing the leafs bad all game.

The leafs had four moments in the game, where the oilers shit their pants, and they scored. Hard to win when talbot lets in 4 goals on 14 shots.

Agreed, nuge is hurting. The best part of the oilers is that we are winning games without any offense from nuge, pouliot, or rw after ebs.

Nuge will get back on track, and when he does, the oilers will start winning games.

94. OmJo says:

Bling:
    One positive for me was the PP. It really looked great in the first period.

He’s due for a big game soon. Been due all season.

95. frjohnk says:

Just read McDavid has 12 points in the last 6 games.
    Oilers have 3 points in those 6 games.

Like Oilspill said, our big money players are not getting much done.
    Actually nobody else is getting anything done

We really only win games when Talbot AND McDavid have great games.
    Team is fucked if one of them go down with injury.

96. McSorley33 says:

Bling,

We have played 24 games now.

Pouliot has 3 goals and 1 more point than Anton Lander.

RNH has 3 goals.

97. stush18 says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

I’m going to go out on a limb here. Maybe it’s not the coach?

Does the coach fire a shot into the shin pads like sekera did 4 or 5 times this game? Did he fire a shot from the slot into a leafs player like klef did? Did he penetrate the box and then skate it out like eberle and mcdavid did?

The oilers players are not executing. Klefbom and sekera need to get those shots through. It opens up the zone, allows for cross ice passes.

Eberle needs to feed klef that one timer when he gets it. Looked him off a couple times and then took a weak wrist shot from the half wall, missing the net.

They need a rh onetimer. Ebs can’t dust the puck. Why we haven’t tried slepy in that spot is beyond me. THAT is on the coaches imo. Personnel. Not execution.

98. Réal Goudenyéu says:

stush18: AGreed.

I think the point is that the leafs did not shit the bed – and given the rosters of the teams there’s no reason for the bedshitting/60 of the oilers and not the leafs.

99. Bank Shot says:

stush18: AGreed.

What makes you think Nuge will ever get “back on track”?

He was a 55 point player on the first line playing with the best players, getting all the o-zone starts.

He’s probably not going to ever get back there playing 2nd/3rd fiddle.

100. Bank Shot says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    Ya normally I’m the first to defend but this is an extended funk now.

The crappy part is, is that this “funk” is roughly double the length of their amazing start.

It’s looking more and more like the funk is who the Oilers actually are.

I didn’t expect them to make the playoffs this season, but man alive, can’t they just exceed expectations one freaking season.

What the funk!

101. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

stush18,

No I’m with you but the Leafs suck on the road and the PP went 0-6, I think they’re 1-20 or something. A coach has to wear that after a while.

I also fully agree the players aren’t executing. I don’t believe that Nuge suddenly forgot how to shoot or that Pouliot has forgotten how to play hockey writ large.

But alas these gents get paid to deliver and right now they aren’t and it’s costing the team points. Again I’m hoping for a good game though on Thursday. Get things back on track!

102. frjohnk says:

A few notes of interest

Jonathan Willis‏ @JonathanWillis
    Over the last 10 games, the #Oilers have:
    – 14 goals in which 97 collected a point
    – 13 goals in which 97 didn’t collect a point

Travis Dakin
    The Oilers have won 4 of the last 16 games yet people are like “yeah but they’re in first so it’s ok!” Could be in 4th by tomorrow night.

Jack Michaels‏ @EdmontonJack
    Milan Lucic has a point in five straight games (2-6-8) … in its last eight losses, EDM is 0-24 on the power play.

103. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Bank Shot,

Nah they aren’t that bad. It’s somehwerenin the middle, likely fighting for a playoff spot which I think is what the general consensu more or less had them as if things broke right.

Defensive breakdowns combined with non-stellar goaltending is a recipe for disaster when everyone is reeling.

Still a fragile team looking to put it all together.

Man is Connor McDavid good

104. Scungilli says:

You can make excuses for whoever you want, but at the end of the day the best players on the team win the games.

Connor McDavid, at age 19, is pulling his weight,

The others need to suck it up or trade them. This is not an over reaction, but really, do the job or go away. You are getting paid, do your job. End of story.

105. JDï™ says:

Bank Shot: It’s looking more and more like the funk is who the Oilers actually are.

Well only fools thought that they were the 7 – 1 – 0 team that the schedule suggested they were.

Trouble is, there’s a lot of range between the two teams, and not enough room on the ledge.

106. hags9k says:

Too many rookies.

Caggiula, Puljujarvi, Benning all with costly rookie moments. Why this club keeps insisting on sending major league at bats into the ocean is beyond me.

107. who says:

Hard to win a hockey game when you give up goals like the first three. Spector hit the nail on the head in the second intermission. Those were brutal plays and the disturbing thing is that the first two bonehead plays were made by two of their best defensive players. I can cut Benning some slack because he’s a rookie and was trying to make a play but I don’t know what Larsson or Nuge were thinking on the first two.

108. Zelepukin says:

Bank Shot: What makes you think Nuge will ever get “back on track”?

He’s probably not going to ever get back there playing 2nd/3rd fiddle.

McSorley33:
    Bling,

We have played 24 games now.

Pouliot has 3 goals and 1 more point than Anton Lander.

RNHhas 3 goals.

Ya, I can’t see Nuge just becoming a different player overnight. All he has ever known is 4 years of playing the role of the ‘responsible’ one against the top opposition. Abuse at the highest level.

Now for the first time, it’s like hey Nuge, stop button hooking and delaying every break, looking for the trailer! Drive the net! Challenge their D! And so Nuge kind of doesn’t know how to play that.

It wasn’t you. Four comments were deleted, three because they quoted the original. I apologize to those who were deleted for quoting the original offender.

110. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

frjohnk,

Interesting point by Wilis, Dakin is right but he’s also trolling so engage at your own peril, and yes the power play sucks. Yotes and Leafs = Death apparently… didn’t think I’d have to write that this year

111. Scungilli says:

I have been a Nuge supporter forever but he has let me down. Either defend or score, and if you want to be a star do both. Doing neither is not ok. Put on big boy pants everybody.

112. Diablo says:

McSorley33,

Exactly. We as a fan base need to stop making excuses for these players.
    Between Poo and Nuge they have 6 goals, for a combined 10 million dollars. I don’t care if they’re “hurting”. I’m sure the Leafs had some players that were banged up tonight too. They had 7 rookies on their roster tonight. They punked the Oilers hard in their own barn tonight.

Really not impressed with Nuge either. The verbal around him makes him sound like a perennial Selke winner, but he is no way near that level. People keep crying out for patience, but he’s a 5th year pro now – he’s no “baby” anymore, and yet he still struggles to win face offs, and he’s unable to drive offence. I remember when Hrudey called him out as a 3rd line centre, and we all, myself included, thought he was an idiot. He’s looking prescient now.

113. Zelepukin says:

hags9k:
    Too many rookies.

Caggiula, Puljujarvi, Benning all with costly rookie moments.Why this club keeps insisting on sending major league at bats into the ocean is beyond me.

Uhh and what did we just lose to? They’ve got 9 players 23 and younger.

114. stush18 says:

Réal Goudenyéu,

Fair point. It’s not like talbot did them any favours though. Thought to win like that, no matter how good the looks were.
    Bank Shot,

Because he is shooting like 2%? Regression to the meat works both ways. Nuge as a responsible 55 point player means this team wins, because mcdavid is going to be a 100 point player and drai somewhere in between that
    hags9k,

Agreed. Seemed like at the start of the year the rookies were being sheltered a little more.

Cags and benning need time in minors. JP can stay, if he’s moved off mcdavids line and placed in some soft minutes.

115. Professor Q says:

hags9k:
    Too many rookies.

Toronto is playing 6 rookies.

116. hags9k says:

Zelepukin,

Yes they have some extremely talented rookies, so maybe a poorly timed example.
    But I think if we were serious about heading to the playoffs we would ice a couple more actual NHL players instead of trying to force-feed these rookies into the fray.

It looks like wasted at-bats right now. I am hopeful Chiarelli will step in.

117. who says:

I wonder what the actual plan for this year is. Maybe they are not that concerned with making the playoffs but just want to get their young players some experience without overwhelming them.
    That would explain the constant shuffling in and out of, and up and down, the line up. Also would explain the constant line juggling. Maybe they want to try everyone with everyone this year.
    To me it looks like we are 25 games into the season and still trying to make training camp decisions. I could understand it if we had a bunch of guys out with injuries like the Jets but this team is relatively healthy right now.

118. hags9k says:

Professor Q: Toronto is playing 6 rookies.

So we should too?

They have an incredible rookie crop, I don’t mean to compare.
    I just think our rookies are struggling and there are too many of them.

119. stush18 says:

I was going suggest the oilers try nuge with mcdavid, but it doesn’t appear as if many posters here would like that idea… lol

Nuge-mcdavid-slepy
    Lucic-drai-ebs
    Maroon-cags-pou
    Hendricks-letestu-pitlick/kass

Imo kassian needs to play up in the lineup. He’s ineffective when playing with bottom six players.

120. Bank Shot says:

stush18:

If Nuge was shooting his career average he’d still only be on pace for 49 points. He’s probably not going to get back there this season though.

His shooting percentage will probably slide as he’s not getting primo PP time and linemates which he has relied on to get his points.

I’ll be surprised if Nuge hits 55 points for the Oilers again.

121. hags9k says:

stush18,

I would love to see Nuge with McDavid.

I would hate to imagine what that might leave for the rest of the roster.

I am starting to think we need another “Derek Roy” 3C trade to open up some options.

122. JDï™ says:

Lowetide: I apologize to those who were deleted for quoting the original offender.

I too apologize.

123. JDï™ says:

May we cheer in interesting times.

124. LMHF#1 says:

McLellan has lost the plot if his post-game is honest. Not good.

The Oilers have some deep system flaws right now and appear to have no desire to correct them.

Pitlick and Slepyshev must play. At least they might score.

125. JDï™ says:

LMHF#1,

Meanwhile the rest of the pacific gains ground.

126. Dino says:

I don’t buy that TMac is a bad coach or that the team is doomed to fail without Hall. I don’t buy any of that. This team is not a mirage although we’ve only seen their potential in short glimpses all season. Want to know why the Oilers lost this game? Two reasons…

1. Goal #2 and #3 were complete brain fart mistakes that shouldn’t happen and probably wouldn’t happen if the Oilers were playing sharper. We all know they can play a better defensive game than that, but sometimes young teams aren’t consistent. That will change as they play more and mature.

2. They went 0/6 on the pp, one of them was a 5v3. With the type of skill and talent this team has, they will figure the PP out sooner than later. They came close a couple of times and if one or two of those chances goes in then it’s a different game.

I’m upset at their inconsistency but I’m not concerned. I’ve seen this team bring their A- game and it’s beautiful when they do. They just need to figure out how to bring it consistently.

It also doesn’t help that 3 to 4 of your top 6 players are completely snake bit right now. That won’t continue either.

127. LMHF#1 says:

JDï™:
    LMHF#1,

Meanwhile the rest of the pacific gains ground.

They could have run away and hid by now. It was so close. Dammit.

128. Dino says:

Bank Shot,

Nuge put up really good numbers in 2014 when Hall was injured nearly the entire season and RNH was forced to play with Ebs and Pou. All 3 players are snakebit right now but history suggests that won’t last. Nuge is highly talented and so is Ebs, they will find their way.

129. Bank Shot says:

Dino:
    Bank Shot,

That will never happen again.

Bank Shot: RNH’s scoring rates weren’t any higher that season. Eakins just played him over 20 minute a game.

That will never happen again.

RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS 11-12

5×5 points per 60: 1.98 (3rd among regular forwards)
    5×4 points per 60: 7.30 (1st among regular forwards, 1st in NHL)

RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS 12-13

5×5 points per 60: 1.29 (10th among regular forwards)
    5×4 points per 60: 4.91 (4th among regular forwards)

RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS 13-14

5×5 points per 60: 1.57 (4th among regular forwards)
    5×4 points per 60: 4.49 (3rd among regular forwards)

RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS 14-15

5×5 points per 60: 2.01 (3rd among regular forwards)
    5×4 points per 60: 3.62 (5th among regular forwards)

RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS 15-16

5×5 points per 60: 1.36 (7th among regular forwards)
    5×4 points per 60: 4.84 (2nd among regular forwards)

Clearly, his 5×5 scoring in 2014-15 was stronger than other seasons (aside from his rookie year).

131. Diablo says:

I’m surprised that McL hasn’t tried RNH with McDavid. He used to use Couture, Marleau and Pavelski as wingers on Thornton’s line all the time. They would load up two lines and play them a ton, with the other two lines receiving the scraps.

Right now RNH is not pissing a drop of offence that he’s created for himself, and he’s not opening up space for his line mates either. He sucks in the face off circle, so why not try RNH with McDavid? They looked good on the PP during their brief time together.

I understand trying to roll the three centres on different lines against teams like the Rangers, but not against a team like the Leafs or Arizona that can only cobble together two decent lines to counteract PvP. Especially at home, when you’ve got the last change.

I’m losing confidence in our coaching staff too. You can complain that Chia hasn’t found a PP quarterback, but really, who’s actually available? No way the Falmes trade us Hamilton. Subban was traded for Weber, full stop. Shattenkirk won’t sign long term here. Burns is staying in SJ. Yandle took tax free dollars and warm weather in Florida. Who else is there? You can argue about Hall for Larsson all you want, but the PP stunk with Hall on this team as well. The problem is that they hang on to the puck too long – that needs to be coached out of them. Fixing the power play would reverse a lot of what has ailed this team in November.

Our coaching staff needs to figure out the PP by the end of December. If not then changes should be made.

132. Bank Shot says:

Lowetide: Nuge plays (last I checked) the toughest opposition among Cs on the Oilers. So, we have to put his scoring in perspective. Here are his numbers.

Sure. I meant his scoring rates weren’t really outside of his normal range. His high water mark appears to be 56 points given all of the advantages of playing 1st line minutes, 1st PP time, and with the best possible teammates which I feel offsets quality of competition.

Given that he now is off the 1st PP, and his minutes are cut, RNH would really have to boost his ES scoring rates in order to get back to 55 points and he’s never shown any evidence that he can get that rate over 2/60.

So I really don’t see how he can bounce back scoring wise.

StixMalone:

Have you ever watched “The Americans”? In particular Season 3. It was one of the most erotic scenes on TV ever.

stush18:
    SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

I’m going to go out on a limb here. Maybe it’s not the coach?

Nelson had a great power play using Lander and pop gun Schultz. Krueger had a great power play using Horcoff and Corey Potter.

McLellan has McDavid.

It is coaching.

135. Roughneck says:

I am sad. And frozen. They had the h vac cranked to sub arctic levels and that discomfort compounded a forgettable evening. Grade A looks…. grade F results.

136. SwedishPoster says:

The Eakins Oilers made a comeback last night. Complete with terrible defensive coverage. Garbage PP. Roster decisions based on other things than performance on the ice. Lines that are in constant flux. And ofcourse the mirage corsi pseudo victory.

So many players not pulling their weight out there. No point in getting into individual critique. McDavid is fantastic, let us just leave it at that.

137. JDï™ says:

SwedishPoster: McDavid is fantastic

It would be interesting to know how many video frames it took for him to go backhand, forehand, upstairs.

138. Walter Sobchak says:

Chiarelli has to be seeing the egregious error in trading Hall.

I promised myself enough of an “EYE” test through 20 games to see if Larsson and Lucic were going to really change the dynamic of the team.

In some ways they have, but to me, by trading Hall you’ve unbalanced the skill.

The great thing about Hall was he didn’t need to play with McDavid; he was his own driver of his own line.

Other teams now consistently target McDavid’s line and without a proper PP and secondary scoring it’s hard to put teams away and get those points.

I asked Woodguy if the whole Righty vs Lefty thing was important?

I asked because, I’m not convinced that if the Oilers got a Brodin or a like type player this summer instead of Larsson would the Oilers would be any worse? I’d argue the Oilers with Hall would be further ahead.

The Oilers need to replace Hall, Lucic is not a replacment.

At any rate, McTavish handling of Petry cost the Oilers Hall in the long run, So there is that old chestnut coming back to bite the Oilers in the ass.

just one fans opinion

139. frjohnk says:

This is familiar

November 1-29

place points
    27 Edmonton Oilers 12
    28 Minnesota Wild 12
    29 Colorado Avalanche 11
    30 New York Islanders 10

We needed to at least get 15 points in 15 games in November as the schedule and amount of games was tougher/more than in October.

Starting Thursday we have 6 games in 9 nights.

140. Colieo87 says:

Bottom line Edmonton is to cheap to pay there own drafted defensemen when it mattered petry. And they drop Large sums on wingers. The theateratrics goes on.

141. russ99 says:

A lot of the issues the forwards are having are due to the incessant line shuffling. It’s hard to anticipate passes and be in the right spots for your linemates when every day you’re playing with 1-2 different line mates. Especially when we practice and play the same day with different lines and we often are changing up during the game.

If we run the following without change the next 10 games, I’d think we’d like the results:

Lucic – McDavid – Draisaitl
    Maroon – RNH – Eberle

Bottom six fall where they may.

Chia needs to bring in another NHL forward stat, and if Puljujarvi is pressboxed or not playing with McDavid, then send him to Bakersfield, which is languishing at the bottom of the league.

142. Woogie63 says:

When was the last time RHN took over the game and lead his team to a win?

143. Skeeziks says:

My greatest disappointment last night was that the Leafs looked like they wanted to win the game while the Oilers seemed that they didn’t want to lose the game.

Where the Leafs came out hungry and aggressive the Oilers looked to be satisfied and passive. This does not mean that I expected fights and brawls, rather I expected better effort and tenacity. For some reason these ingredients appear to have been missing since about the 7th or 8th game of the season.

Furthermore, Hendricks does not have the speed or effectiveness of Pitlick and this shows up in the fore checking results. We are simply not fast enough or committed enough. As for Kassian, Lucic and Puljujarvi, they simply are passengers rather than full fledged participants. Time for some line up changes and a serious bag skate.

144. Scungilli says:

The litany of mistakes and errors in judgement lead to McDavid. We can’t have had good management and McDavid.

So for me it’s McDavid forward. I’m concerned with what Chiarelli is going to do now to put a competitive balanced team on the ice that has a lot of skill. My fear is he waters the team down by losing more trades for heavy, based on ideas left from his ugly/lucky Cup win a long time ago.

145. sliderule says:

Diablo:

Nuge on Mcdavids wing is what I thought they would do right after they drafted Connor.

He can skate with him and is a decent back checker.

146. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

sliderule,

Who takes the 2C role then? If its Drai is that wise? If its not Drai is it Letestu? Maybe Lander?

I don’t see how you could run that line for an entire game with the Oilers depth chart.

147. JDï™ says:

godot10: The Americans

Just checked out the pilot, and it looks pretty good – and by pretty good, I mean I didn’t shut it off after 15 minutes. Going to give it a go for sure.

It’s refreshing when an espionage show doesn’t rely on technology gimmicks and CGI, and instead uses that ‘plot’ thing and some good acting. Setting it in the era they did (Reagan/Gorbie) should lead to some interesting story lines.

148. Oilspill says:

The best power plays have movement and cycles to break down coverage. We look like Frankenstein’s ball.
    To predictable.
    What ever happened to the Centre behind the net forcING the coverage to drop.

godot10: Nelson had a great power play using Lander and pop gun Schultz.Krueger had a great power play using Horcoff and Corey Potter.

McLellan has McDavid.

It is coaching.

Woogie63:
    When was the last time RHN took over the game and lead his team to a win?

Nugent-Hopkins is adjusting to a significant/radical change in usage from how he was used his entire career. Less ice time. The toughest opposition, with less offensively competent wingers (i.e. Kassian a lot for the first part of the season, and McLellan beating on Pouliot daily). They also took away most of his power play time and replaced it with more PK time.

The rhythm of his game has been disrupted and it is showing up in his boxcars. The effort is there, and the advanced stats are decent. The boxcars are horrible.

The trouble, arguably IMHO, is that the coach is infatuated with one player, and is not spending enough time “coaching” the rest of the team, other than telling them to play the systerm. For the coach everything revolves around Connor.

This coach has his favourites and has his deplorables.

150. sliderule says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    sliderule,

I see Nuge scoring a bunch on the wing as he reminds me of Larkin.

Great skater with defensive awareness to put on backpressure

Lousy at face offs and not strong enough to be a real good defensive center

Draisaitl and Lucic could fill the second line.roles

151. Scungilli says:

sliderule: I see Nuge scoring a bunch on the wing as he reminds me of Larkin.

Great skater with defensive awareness to put on backpressure

Lousy at face offs and not strong enough to be a real good defensive center

Draisaitl and Lucic could fill the second line.roles

I would rather see Nuge kept as they shed another Austin coming up for cap reasons. I think he’d be a better and more productive winger than Eberle. He’s also stronger, a better skater and could of course be rotated in and out of centre. He has ability on PP we know. His left shot is not such a big deal as a winger. In know they’ve had him with Connor, I’m not sure they are that creative, doesn’t seem like it.

I posted a while ago about using Lander as third centre for an easy minutes line

Pouliot Lander JP

I think it would play to Lander’s strengths playing with skill while being the defensive conscience and allowing him to do special teams work, get Pouliot going and give JP shelter. They could load up the top 2 lines and rotate the rest through the 4th and injury fill in. I doubt we ever see it.

« Older Comments