G29 2016-17: OILERS AT FLYERS

Once upon a time, they were three: The wild, the innocent and the E-Street shuffle. We came to know them as the most hopeful stars in the night sky. Farther along, through several seasons of poor crops, the people were gifted a new light, a new way. It came complete with a change in the weather, and new suits for every chore. It was not a subtle shift, but rather an earthquake complete. In the days after the rapture, we all knew  something had to give, and maybe we all knew something about what it might look like—although we danced around it. We all knew things would be different once they sent away the human cannonball, but the fracture is growing and we might not ever get back.

And we are here, today. At the mall, staring at that damnable sign surrounded by 4,000 shops all selling shoes, probably, and trying to find some direction that makes sense. So many futures to be decided, and they are mostly kids again, and here we are coming up on Christmas already. Why do these long days of winter give us so little to be sure about? Hasn’t the population of this northern town suffered enough?And why do we care so damned much?

Ah, that’s the real trick, it only matters because you say it does. And matter it does. Circus town’s on the live wire, Game 29.

THUNDER ROAD, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0, goal differential -7
  • Oilers in October 2016: 7-2-0, goal differential +10
  • Oilers in November 2015: 4-7-2, goal differential -6
  • Oilers in November 2016: 5-8-2 goal differential -3
  • Oilers in December 2015: 7-6-1, goal differential -9
  • Oilers in December 2016: 2-0-2, goal differential +2
  • Oilers after 28, 2015: 11-15-2, goal differential -13
  • Oilers after 28, 2016: 14-10-4, goal differential +9

G29 one year ago saw the Oilers win 4-3 in OT on a (you guessed it) Taylor Hall goal. The Oilers had a strong October, a wobbly November, and are setting up for a good December if they can keep this train on the tracks. The Philly game tonight and the game tomorrow night (all aboard, Nebraska’s our next stop) in Minnesota are big damned deals. And Ryan Nugent-Hopkins needs some giddyup.

OILERS TOP SCORING FORWARDS, BY NHL RANK

oilers-forwards-nhl-scoring

• The Edmonton Oilers have two scorers inside the top 20 overall. That is a big deal you know. Hard to do, as evidenced by this team’s own past. In 1989-90, Edmonton’s Mark Messier finished No. 2 in scoring (129 points) and Jari Kurri finished No. 19 (93 points).
  • If McDavid continues on this pace, he will finish 82, 32-73-105, and Leon will finish 82, 32-32-64. All these numbers via The Hockey News.
  • Jordan Eberle takes a sound beating once a day from the genius pool on twitter, but once again the winger is on pace for 82, 23-38-61. Burn him!
  • If the Oilers were delivering an average first line, their top three scorers would be inside the top 90 in the NHL. Edmonton has three men inside the top 30 (these rankings were from last night, before game action, so some numbers might be slightly altered) and four inside the top 90 scoring forwards.
  • Milan Lucic projects just below 60 points (23-35-58) and as mentioned above quite a bit of that comes from the power play. ML is going to have a career year on the PP, his previous high being 14 and his current number being eight. He will get there.
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins projection? 82, 12-26-38. If you want to follow Edmonton’s fortunes from now to the deadline, and keep track of a very important future, make RNHs player page a morning stop. Important season for one of my favorite Oilers. He is far better than this offensively.
  • RNHs shooting percentage is 5.2, if it was near normal (say 10 percent) his numbers would be 8-9-17. Needs to get back where he once belonged, Loretta.
  • Jesse Puljujarvi needs to play. Where would you put him? I like Lucic—McDavid—Leon and I like Pouliot—Nuge—Eberle. I further like Maroon—Letestu—Kassian. That leaves Hendricks—Caggiula—JP, and that I do not like. Maybe Pouliot with that group.
  • Peter Chiarelli needs to make a trade. Pretty sure.

OILERS TOP SCORING BLUE, BY NHL RANK

oilers-defense-scoring-leaders

• Andrej Sekera doesn’t get a lot of respect, but he is a fabulous hockey player. Ideally suited to the second pairing, he has done well this year in that role—and really developed chem with rookie defender Matt Benning.
  • Klefbom—Larsson is the best top pairing I have seen, and one doubts the Oilers are going to optimize their personnel until those two are back in the saddle again.
  • Kris Russell has become a media hammer lately, as in ‘if you don’t like Kris Russell, you don’t know hockey’ which is of course ridiculous. I don’t know a single fan, blogger or bon vivant who dislikes Kris Russell. Go Kris Russell! We are talking deployment, we are talking usage. Seems to be an attempt to demonize math these days, which is kind of crazy.

D-FENSE

• Todd McLellan: “It’s a real good thing we had (Kris) Russell and (Eric) Gryba signed at the end of the summer because it gave us some depth. If you look at our D we’ve got the four veterans playing (Adam Larsson, Oscar Klefbom, Andrej Sekera and Russell) and we have four veterans out (Gryba, Darnell Nurse, Fayne and Davidson). (Griffin) Reinhart, whom we consider a prospect, was hurt (his back) in the minors. We’re tapping our D 10 or 11 deep now. That’s good for our organization. We couldn’t do that in the past.” Source

I agree with this completely. It is always better to have veteran defensemen than to have kid blue—Denis Potvin was -16 as a rookie (on a team that was -65)—and it is important to remember that this version of the Oilers is +6 at 5×5 hockey. Someone is doing something right defensively. Here are the games played and minutes averaged by Oilers rookies on defense:

• Matt Benning 19 games, 16:57 ATOI

Allow me to compare that to one year ago:

• Darnell Nurse 69 games, 20:13 ATOI
  • Brandon Davidson 51 games, 19:11 ATOI
  • Griffin Reinhart 29 games, 18:04 ATOI
  • Adam Clendening 20 games, 15:32 ATOI
  • Jordan Oesterle 17 games, 21:41 ATOI

The Oilers will surely be playing more rookies than just Benning this season—they will play one of Simpson or Musil tonight—but generally speaking the fewer rookies the better. Especially when there are still so many youngsters who are not rookies in the fold. The 2005-06 Oilers had three rookies play defense—Matt Greene, Danny Syvret and Mathieu Roy—and they played a total of 38 games. Veteran defensemen: It’s the right thing to do.

MARKUS NIEMELAINEN

• Saginaw Spirit Head Coach Spencer Carbery: “He’s a big defenceman that’s a really smooth skater that can rush the puck, that can go back for dump retrievals and break pressure. He stands out in that respect, so I think he’s very, very noticeable for a defenceman that’s 6-foot-4 and can move so fluently out on the ice.” Source

That is from a piece by Tom Gazzolla that appears on NHL.com right now. Very interesting item and worth your time. Niemelainen is not getting much done offensively this season, but he does have some ability to get the puck going in a good direction. I like the size/speed combination, and like this pick, although he is going to have much of his overall value on the defensive side. I know many of you don’t value that side of the game, but Niemelainen can contribute if all these words are true.

LAS VEGAS BUGSY SIEGELS?

Apparently the patent office doesn’t like the logo designed by the NHLs expansion team, so it is back to the drawing board. Good grief. This franchise is taking on a California Golden Seals aura, which is all well and good, but I doubt that is the goal. More on the Lowdown.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A fun show this morning, big brains and big ideas. Scheduled to appear beginning at 10, TSN1260:

• Darcy McLeod, Because Oilers. We are going to drill down on WGs latest article.
  • Corey Pronman, ESPN. You knew it was going to happen sooner or later, we have our first look at the 2017 draft on the Lowdown.
  • Frank Seravalli, TSN. Oilers blow up the chicken man in Philly tonight? Plus the LV expansion news.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

509 Responses to "G29 2016-17: OILERS AT FLYERS"

« Older Comments
  1. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

That was the worst game I’ve ever seen Nuge play

Oscar wears the horns on the winner

Gotta bounce back quick here

2. delooper says:

That was a pretty good game. Not a wonderful result. RNH sucked. But a pretty good game. Enjoyed watching McDavid. . . and maybe one or two other players.

3. Réal Goudenyéu says:

StixMalone: I think Nugey is not 100%. But they will never let it be known will they….

Yeah people said that last year too I’m not buying it he has to be better.

4. Johnny Larue says:

Fuck klefbom

5. BeerMe says:

A trashy game with a ton of Oilering but man it was entertaining as hell

6. hags9k says:

Broissoit get your luggage in order.

7. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Réal Goudenyéu,

Yup no excuses.

That sucks, blew three points in the last two games.

Starting to become a theme with this team

Pitlick and Sleppy in tomorrow.

They don’t have a replacement but Nuge… Not good at all

Johnny Larue:
    Fuck klefbom

Nah. He got caught there, but he is a wonderful young player.

9. LadiesloveSmid says:

Klefbom-Larsson is a dumspter fire defensively. Sekera-Benning is honest to gord the team’s best pairing.

About the time of year I mute every hockey related account on my twitter, hurts to watch this kind of hockey. The Flames will be tied with them by 9:30.

10. kgo says:

Oscar Klefbergeron showing his lack of experience there….I hope the stats nerds look up from their spreadsheets to see that was more than a -1 corsi event in reality.

11. StixMalone says:

This team can’t hold on to a lead. If they make it to the playoffs this will be a major concern. Chia needs to make a trade sometime here to solve the imbalance. Hopefully it’s a trade in our favour…..

12. Professor Q says:

LadiesloveSmid:

Dumpster fire defensively? Haven’t they been our best pairing all year?

13. Lloyd B. says:

Had to listen to the Michaels broadcast tonight. That last minute must have been crazy. Jack was hyperventilating and tripping all over his tongue. It was hilarious.

14. russ99 says:

He is but he needs to work on his d-zone play in he crease and coverage one on one away from the wall..no reason he can’t get there.

15. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

LadiesloveSmid,

Hurts to watch? That was chaos and while it was shitty result it was a lot of fun. Watching Arizona is painful.

16. jake70 says:

Whoever that was in that last scramble at the right side….if that was a right shot , it’s a tie game. Tough loss.

17. LadiesloveSmid says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    LadiesloveSmid,

Hurts to watch? That was chaos and while it wasshitty result it was a lot of fun. Watching Arizona is painful.

2 blown 2 goal leads to drop them below .500, sorry just can’t comprehend that as fun.

18. kgo says:

Lowetide: Nah. He got caught there, but he is a wonderful young player.

He’s sure is a great player, but i’ve seen him finish one check in 3 years…needs to use his frame more. To those who say you don’t need to hit, bullshit….you can see the difference in the opposition’s poise with the puck when they’re out against Ebs and Nuge, Klefbom and Sekera, guys who never finish their hits. The opposition knows when they’re about to get a freebie, and when they have to move that puck fast and brace for impact. The former tends to result in a clean tape to tape pass, the latter more likely to be a hand grenade.

19. Zelepukin says:

This would have been an awesome game if it was last year. 2 pts for McD and 3 for Drai, highly entertaining and we’d already be out of the playoffs, so the outcome wouldn’t really matter.

Being near the top now though, this hurts. Up by 2 twice in the game and you through it away with ease.

20. BeerMe says:

Wow, a Philly player made fun of McDavid for the collarbone incident last year. What a fuckface.

EDIT: according to McDavid, Brandon Manning told him he intentionally injured him last year. Unbelievable

21. Alpine says:

kgo:

I hope the eye test militia can realize even good defensemen can get walked from time to time.

22. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

LadiesloveSmid,

San Jose is the only team in the Pacific above .500

Learning experience. They’ve won these run and gun games when they played them this year.

Nuge and Klef crapped the bed tonight. Nuge directly responsible for 3 goals against.

Leon fights off that stick its tied.

Crappy result but was still edge of your chair white knuckled hockey

23. Crazy Pedestrian says:

I’m so disgusted to be a fan of this team right now… two 2 goal leads…WHO LOSES LIKE THAT?!?!
    Apparently my team… my shitty ass team… I think it’s better for my health to take a hiatus from oilers hockey until they pull their heads out of their asses… I’m going to have a stroke watching this team… I almost threw my phone at my tv… After the rant I just had, I don’t even want to think of what would have happened if my wife was home…

On another note, I’m Sorry lowetide for showing my emotions too much on the threads. It’s childish and I should know better…
    I just had to vent… and honestly… me posting this comment has calmed me down…

Nugent-Hopkins was amongst the best forwards in the World Cup for North America. Really only McDavid, Scheifele, and MacKinnon were better.

Somebody is going to get a really good centre at a bargain price because #ThoroughlyMediocreCoach doesn’t get the player and because of roster utilization and deployment.

Nugent-Hopkins isn’t in rhythm. The coach isn’t letting him get into rhythm, because of how he utilizes his roster.

Sort of like Puljujarvi, but on a different scale.

25. LadiesloveSmid says:

Professor Q: Dumpster fire defensively? Haven’t they been our best pairing all year?

both crack the bottom 50 in the league among D, Larsson the bottom 35. Very poor defensively, which was all that Larsson’s rapport really was before he came to EDM.

26. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Oilers fans are all kind of fucked up because of the Decade of Darkness I tells ya.

27. hags9k says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

Love your optimism, so forgive me if I don’t buy the learning experience part. They haven’t learned from blowing games late for 10 years.

28. jzed says:

Columbus on the way, wow, getting schooled by them will sting a little. Their coach has banned D to D passes, get the puck , move the puck to forwards. This would never fly with the Oil, D to D is their bread and butter move

29. JOFA says:

LT, I am begging you not to say this was a good game. I just can’t fucking take it anymore. 10 fucking years!!!! I know I know….step away from the ledge. But For Fuck Sakes!!!!!

30. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

godot10,

McLellan coached him at the World Cup… Chia managed him at the World Cup.

Nuge shit the bed tonight, seriously this wasn’t Todd

31. BeerMe says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    godot10,

McLellan coached him at the World Cup… Chia managed him at the World Cup.

Nuge shit the bed tonight, seriously this wasn’t Todd

What upsets me more is that he didn’t even own it in the postgame comments, he said literally nothing about his play that game. Should have taken responsibility and said that he played a terrible game.

32. Professor Q says:

LadiesloveSmid: they are 4th and 5th among regular D when it comes to adjusted xGA/60, 21YO Nurse being the lone regular behind them

I’m not seeing that, man. Sorry. They also do well for points, non? Klefbom that is, not Larsson.

33. Professor Q says:

BeerMe:

Do you have a link?

If so, I guess that last tumble with Provorov would have been odd poetic justice if Ivan had broken his own collar bone. Not that you ever wish to see that, unless you’re the Flyers.

34. The Trade Guy says:

I like high scoring games so I can’t complain about that.

I think McClellan is losing me though.

35. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

hags9k,

Klef had a crappy game and got walked at the end.

Nuge was directly responsible for three goals against.

That sucks but no I don’t consider it the end of the world because it was mainly two guys having shitty games. Not the team shitting the bed.

That happens sometimes and it sucks when it does

But this is a long long ways away from what most losses looked like the last ten years

36. kinger_OIL says:

godot10:
    Nugent-Hopkins was amongst the best forwards in the World Cup for North America.Really only McDavid, Scheifele, and MacKinnon were better.

Somebody is going to get a really good centre at a bargain pricebecause #ThoroughlyMediocreCoach doesn’t get the player and because of roster utilization and deployment.

Nugent-Hopkins isn’t in rhythm.The coach isn’t letting him get into rhythm, because of how he utilizes his roster.

Sort of like Puljujarvi, but on a different scale.

FACT CHECK TIME:
    – I was at the North America young guns vs Sweden game. You do know the coach that had RNH playing as good hockey as you say is the same guy you call #ThoroughlyMediocreCoach

– So he was a great coach when RNH was humming and now he’s a medicore one?

– But run with your narrative….

37. Derek says:

The monster puts up an .806 and everyone wants to fire Klefbom and RNH into the sun. If Cambot plays that game Edmonton wins it 4 times out of 5.

38. treevojo says:

Bring on the lowetide after hours blamegame.

Thank fuck that wasn’t Russell on that last goal.

Or worse yet Larsson.

Loved Mcdavid, Lucic, Caggulia, and Eberle tonight.

Thought they all had good feet.

Very entertaining game. Shitty way to lose.

This is a playoff team.

We will win these games January on.

Book it!

39. LadiesloveSmid says:

Professor Q: I’m not seeing, man. Sorry.

as well as being trash statistically, neither are passing my eye test in their own zone. Can’t protect the box if their lives depended on it, evidence Raffl’s GWG

40. JimmyV1965 says:

At least it was an entertaining game. I’ve reached a peaceful place now though. I didn’t get upset or frustrated tonight because I expect zero from the team. The Flames will pass us this week and we’re outside the playoffs within 10 days. Who knows. Maybe will hang with the top 20 for another month. I guess this is improvement.

41. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

BeerMe,

I agree, McDavid looked and sounded furious. Nuge not so much but different folks so tough comparison.

Still wish he would have owned it yup.

kinger_OIL,

Truth!

42. Moose says:

I’m too pissed to read through the whole thread, but to me the game turned here:

First shift after 5-3 PP goal, and MaClellan puts 4th line against Giroux line. They take a penalty and then a PP goal as a result. That’s just F’ing awful. He is losing my confidence with increasing rapidity. Those are the kind of crap decisions that nobody notices if they don’t bite you in the ass (like the timeout the other night, or putting Letestu out in OT just because he wants to win a draw), but they are costing us points.

Yes, there is more wrong with this team than the coach, but with glaring holes on the roster the focus on micro coaching decisions becomes magnified. Maximize the good parts of the roster and minimize the bad.

Gustavsson should be on waivers tomorrow night and headed to Bakersfield on Friday. We’re done with that crap experiment.

Puljujaarvi to the AHL tomorrow, Lander up. There’s you PK and face off guy, T-Mac,

Hendricks shouldn’t need “showcase” games. Teams know what he is. If there’s no interest, then there’s no interest. He’s done as an effective player. Slepyshev and Pitlick bring more pace and secondary scoring and yet they’re being HS’d for imaginary vet gritensity that the coach only trusts to play limited minutes.

If THIS isn’t the game that makes the roster decisions for the coach and GM then this is all a giant 97 band-aid on the same shit team. Play your best lineup and grind out December until the D gets healthy.

It might be too late with all the points they’ve pissed away.

43. JOFA says:

Fuck the “good game” bullshit! 1O fucking years! Sick of this shit! Make a fucking trade Chía and do it now!

44. JDï™ says:

JOFA:
    Fuck the “good game” bullshit! 1O fucking years! Sick of this shit!Make a fucking trade Chía and do it now!

Yes, trades made with emotion never turn into regrettable moments.

45. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

JOFA,

Who’s going out and who are you targeting?

Hey if you’re gonna throw that out there at least have an idea in mind.

46. Professor Q says:

Moose,

I agree. Time for the rookies to head down. Shifts must occur now.

47. leadfarmer says:

I remember saying two thirds of the way into last year to move Hendricks cause he is done but you could still get a pick for him before anyone notices. I think everyone has noticed now.

Moose:

It is better to leave Lander in Bakersfield so Puljujarvi has someone to play with. No use calling up a player McLellan has demonstrated over and over again that he really has no interest in.

49. Alpine says:

JOFA:

They’re above .500 after almost 30 games and are a top ten possession team in the league. This is uncharted territory vs the last 10 years. Take a deep breath, it’s a long season.

50. McSorley33 says:

Derek,

Not everyone….the flyers don’t want the Oilers to fire RNH and Klefbom to the sun.

51. JimmyV1965 says:

jzed:

Interesting. We do way way to much of that. Larsson is always doing it.

52. Ryan says:

Moose:

It might be too late with all the points they’ve pissed away.

Dude, you need to post more.

Nailed it and saved me typing on an iPad.

53. Professor Q says:

BeerMe:
    Professor Q,

Thanks. I was watching as you sent that. Definitely frustrating to see, and I agree with McDavid that his time defending Manning is over.

54. StixMalone says:

I picked a bad week to quit sniffing glue…..

55. Younger Oil says:

To be fair, even if Manning didn’t mean to injure McDavid, any agitator worth his salt is going to say that he meant to on the ice to get under the player’s skin.

56. Moose says:

godot10: It is better to leave Lander in Bakersfield so Puljujarvi has someone to play with.No use calling up a player McLellan has demonstrated over and over again that he really has no interest in.

Normally I’d agree, but T-Mac’s complained all this week about inability to win draws and his deployment has been affected by that mindset, to the detriment of the team. Lander was 57%FO’s and killing penalties effectively before they made room for Hendricks by sending him down.

57. StixMalone says:

Moose:

It might be too late with all the points they’ve pissed away.

X2

58. fifthcartel says:

McLellan’s coaching decisions are becoming more curious by the day. This doesn’t help with the roster Chiarelli gave him.

This is on Chairelli.

59. Crazy Pedestrian says:

On a final note: if the team isn’t pissed off, and I mean destroying the locker room by punching in walls, and kicking in doors kind of pissed off, I don’t know what else could put a fire in their gut to completely decimate Minny tomorrow… and yeah, TMac needs to send JP down NOW, bring lander back up, and keep slepy and pitlick in the lineup…

And yeah, chia has to trade Hendy cause he’s done, and waive gusto because he’s useless… We all knew gusto was a suspect signing, and if chia can’t see it now, we’re doomed.

60. Bank Shot says:

Derek:
    The monster puts up an .806 and everyone wants to fire Klefbom and RNH into the sun.If Cambot plays that game Edmonton wins it 4 times out of 5.

The goaltending wasn’t good, but the team has to own their very high event play.

They are never going to make the playoffs until they can play solid defensively.

61. LostBoy says:

Hindsight is great, but I would have switched Talbot and Gustavsson on this back to back. Gustavsson is what he is, but he has a much better chance in a more structured game. When the rodeo started with 7 minutes left in the second, I was never convinced it was going to end well.

I don’t think there’s a need for any suicide notes from this result. D was fragile and thin, backup isn’t terribly competent but that was known when he was signed yet there he is, and when the rodeo started, enough people started running around that it was more or less random hockey. Nearly but not quite enough offense to paper it over, but only off by a bounce. Steve Mason’s been borderline unbeatable on Philly’s streak, but we lit him up.

You make an inexplicable decision on your backup, the coach mostly won’t use him, then when another back to back comes up in short order, he’s thrown in against the massively more high event team. Things like this are going to happen.

I wouldn’t overreact, but I do think there was no reason to sign Gustavsson in the first place, and now is as good a time as any to get a competent backup who can give you joe-job hockey.

62. McSorley33 says:

Crazy Pedestrian,

He has to trade Hendricks so TMac does not play him….

63. JimmyV1965 says:

JP got less than 8 minutes tonight. Maybe we should have some kind of pool for when he breaks the 12 minute mark. I say he does it in 28 games from now.

64. Moose says:

Ryan: Dude, you need to post more.

Nailed it and saved me typing on an iPad.

Ha! Thanks, happy to help.

Personally, and I think this probably goes for everybody, I could handle losing if the decision making and roster decisions were just based on sound reasoning with the goal of playing your best team every night. I just want to trust the coach and GM for once, and I’m finding that more difficult with time (and losses).

65. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

LostBoy,

Tough to put any of those on Gustavson. Maybe the 1st and 2nd but he was left high and dry on 3-6.

(Edit maybe could have had 3 with a stronger push but that was on Nuge for the turnover)

66. JDï™ says:

LostBoy: but he has a much better chance in a more structured game.

67. LostBoy says:

JDï™: You start the best goalie against your rivals, because those are four point games.

There’re lots of reasons to roll it the way McLellan did. That’s why I said “Hindsight is great”

68. StixMalone says:

JimmyV1965:
    JP got less than 8 minutes tonight.Maybe we should have some kind of pool for when he breaks the 12 minute mark. I say he does it in 28 games from now.

It doesn’t help when he gets two penalties in a row…..

69. ashley says:

From mainstream media “….the Oilers, who have blown leads in four straight games.”

I haven’t been able to catch any of the last half dozen games other than to check the score after the fact, this one included, but that seems like a remarkable stat.

Come from behind victories simultaneously produce the sweetest wins and the most bitter losses.

70. Gordies Elbow says:

Take a deep breath.

A few players had difficult nights. RNH had a really poor coverage night, and Klefbom spent at least part of the night chasing.

Goals came from players unchecked in the slot, off of a shin pad, etc.

Just a difficult night, against a hard team. Edmonton should have won that one, but they’re still learning.

McDavid was remarkable. Drake was really good, the rooks on defense played well. Puck doesn’t bank off of Benning’s leg, or Klefbom covers better with less than 2 minutes to go, it goes another way.

Edmonton just played the hottest team in the league, in their own barn, and should have won.

Progress.

71. LadiesloveSmid says:

BeerMe:
    Professor Q,

good for Connor, proud of him for saying that

no pushover 19YO captain, fuck Manning

72. JDï™ says:

Gordies Elbow: Take a deep breath.

Exactly.

The Oilers lost a road game against a team that has won 6 straight, while dressing their backup goalie, two rookie defenders and two rookie forwards.

I’m not going to urge those on the ledge to back away – quite the opposite.

73. Professor Q says:

Well, battle of the words between McDavid and Manning and now the lot of NHL fans are saying McDavid is the next Crosby and is a whiney baby who needs a safe space.

Yikes. Some people.

I bet if that happened to them they wouldn’t have lasted as long as McDavid has before complaining about it finally.

74. Klima's_Bucket says:

McSorley33,

You can’t trade what nobody else wants.

75. Ryan says:

Moose: Ha! Thanks, happy to help.

Haha, It’s so Oilers to shoot themselves in the foot trying to showcase Hendricks whom no other team wants regardless. Hendricks is done. He knows it, you know it, I know it…If I’m a GM in the western conference, I’m telling Chiapete to let me see him play again all season long.

The Oilers went all in on Brossoit when they signed the monster. Time to own that decision and see how it works out. I doubt it’s any worse than the monster.

The time to send JP to the AHL was several games ago.

Let’s start icing the best lineup that we have every night and go from there.

76. BeerMe says:

Ryan: Let’s start icing the best lineup that we have every night and go from there.

I can’t read that with a straight face

77. Professor Q says:

Younger Oil:

I mean, McDavid caused two straight goals immediately after that. I guess Manning really did get under his skin…but not in Philadelphia’s favour.

78. treevojo says:

Moose: Ha! Thanks, happy to help.

Count me as one who doesn’t agree.

If you listen to tmac’s pregame presser he stresses decisions will be made based on players health.

Maybe just maybe there is some information that all the Monday night quarterbacks aren’t privy to.

79. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Professor Q,

Meh let them eat cake!

CMD has 38 points in 29 games haha

80. Diablo says:

Some thoughts about tonight’s game.
    1) Flyers fans are terrific – loved their emotion; puts our Tier 1 fans to shame.

2) I didn’t like the lack of response by the Oilers to Simmonds slew-footing Gustavsson. Somebody should have put Mason through the end boards on the next play. Messier would have turned the other cheek, then tore it open with his stick. Gator would have speared Simmonds the next time down. This team still lacks that don’t F with me attitude. Until it changes, other teams are going to continue to punk these guys.

3) Speaking of Gustavsson – I never want to see him start for the Oilers ever again. Granted Klefbom was late to get in on Raffl, but he angled him off enough to give the goalie only the short side to protect … and Gustavsson leaves it wide open! The winning goal is completely on him – he was beyond terrible tonight. He is not an NHL goalie. Brossoit or Ellis needs to back up Talbot on his scheduled nights off. This is where we find out if Chia is serious about making the playoffs this season – Gustavsson needs to get axed the way Enroth got put out to pasture by the Leafs.

4) PP has improved but the bizarre roster decisions continue – WTH is Hendricks playing? Why is Jesse still with the team? Larsson-Klefbom are better together than apart – why are they not playing together? TMac makes some head scratching decisions – they are starting to cost us wins, and pushing him closer to the hot seat. For some teams that have higher expectations than our front office seems too, these last two games would get a coach fired. Tmac should have owned that bone-headed timeout the other night, instead he made up some BS excuse about how the Sabres were lined up. Are you kidding me?!? This isn’t football – you go out win the draw, get possession and get it out. Calling the timeout just gave the other side time to rest. Stupid.

5) The reffing is still a joke.

I’m off for some R&R in Mexico just in time to escape the cold patch that’s coming in from Alberta to Manitoba! I hope things have turned around by the time I get back, cause I still believe that this is a playoff team, if only the GM and coach could fix some of these obvious issues.

81. Dicky94 says:

treevojo,

I’ve already blamed Nuge, but from now on I am blaming every Oiler loss on the people who quit making the soft drink Tahiti Treat and the best chocolate bar ever… Cuban Lunch. Way to go guys!

82. treevojo says:

Dicky94:
    treevojo,

I have never had a Cuban lunch.

Rumour has it Tahiti treat is still accessible.

83. Professor Q says:

treevojo,

Cuba Libre?

84. Jaxon says:

The Trade Guy:
    man imagine if mcdavid had a prime Brett Hull. Good lord.

They still might have a Hull. Hull wasn’t even a full time NHLer until he turned 23 when he played 65 games. None of Draisaitl, Cagguila, Puljujarvi, Benson or Slepyshev are 23 yet.

85. OilSafety says:

Well one thing went right tonight… my boy arrived at 8:18pm at 8lbs and 12 oz, Labour was smooth everyone is fine. We went with Isaac for the name.

Now about those Oilers…

86. Diablo says:

OilSafety:

Now about those Oilers…

Mazel tof!

87. Zelepukin says:

OilSafety:

Now about those Oilers…

Did you name him McDrai?

88. maudite says:

When I read the end of these threads after any loss, this comes to mind.

89. Zelepukin says:

maudite:

When I read the end of these threads after any loss, this comes to mind.

It usually goes dead silent in 10mins, so I imagine everyone does this:

90. OmJo says:

OilSafety:

Now about those Oilers…

Congrats!

OilSafety:

Now about those Oilers…

Awesome! That is way more important than a hockey game, and Isaac is a fabulous name. Congratulations!

92. Hockey Project says:

Dicky94:
    treevojo,

True story: a cousin once called me a racist when he visited and saw me buy a Cuban Lunch at the Red Rooster in Hermitage. I didn’t even know what to say.

93. su_dhillon says:

Nuge and Klefbom are 2 very good young players who are really struggling and you can see the tide turning on them from the fan base and MSM.

None of that should matter but I would be lying if I didn’t think there is a chance the management also sees them bad and ends up sending them.off for .50 on the dollar. Especially worried about Nuge in that respect. Here’s hoping they have some good things happen quickly.

94. Aron_S says:

OilSafety,

Congratulations to you and your family!

My little guy was born last year and the Oilers also lost in the final minutes that night (to the Flames on that brutal Frolik shot from a bad angle). I’ll always remember holding him and watching that. Couldn’t stay frustrated for long when you’ve got your new little one in your arms though. Welcome Isaac.

95. Professor Q says:

OilSafety:

Now about those Oilers…

Congratulations!

96. SwedishPoster says:

Todd can talk about individual performances and mistakes, we can talk about Nuge not playing nearly up to par and Klefbom losing crucial battles and Gustavsson not making thw saves we need but to me it’s about roster decisions until they stop keeping guys who deserve to play in the pressbox. They’ve basically thrown the last two games buy playing a lesser lineup. The guys who shouldn’t be playing accounted for three penalties tonight and overall struggles, while they weren’t the obvious culprits but with how tight the games are every lost inch is crucial. And when you have better options sitting you might lose the slight edge that tips the scale.

That’s without even considering what happens in a locker room when playing time isn’t decided on merit.

To me it looks like non hockey related decisions and that’s just stupid when battling for a playoff spot. This is on the GM and head coach.

97. Walter Sobchak says:

Some observations from tonight’s game.

I wonder if RNH is afraid to make a mistake? it just looks like he’s pulling up offensively to make sure his defensive game is cared for but he’s got to cheat a little at some point, I really think it’s affecting his overall game.

Why, when up by two goals and the other team spanks you for three consecutive goals on or about 10 shots on net do you not yank that goalie?
    You score another goal your teams right back in with a fresh goalie, you let another one in and the games most likely over anyways.
    You watch your team come back only to have your goalie shit the b d again.

The defence.

Klefbom has to get it together and soon, he’s costing games. Not as bad lately but not far behind is Larsson.
    The last 5 games I’m seriously wondering why a winger or centre wasn’t traded for a different D-man instead of Hall for Larsson.
    Right now Russle is on par with both those guys these last 5 games.

The Oilers really need to off load Pouliot, I feel bad for the man but that’s a beaten player out there.

Oilers had this game, but the players lhad no confidence in the goalie and went walk about to try and keep the lead.

98. Lucinius says:

Only caught part of the game (was at work), but.. wow. Others have mostly said what I want to say, so I’ll just add my voice to a few bits;

Lander should be on this squad (as I’ve said about half a dozen times since he got sent down) — what he provides is something this team desperately needs, whether or not he can get points.

Gustavsson isn’t a good goalie. He doesn’t have the structure in his style to be a reliable goalie at the NHL level, he just doesn’t. He plays like someone torn between the structure of a traditional, modern, NHL goalie and a Hasek impersonator in a beer league. He leaves gaps in his positioning and is jumpy and over-active in net. Chia gets full blame for anything Gustavsson; there were better options for backup available and he passed on them.

RNH was horrible and deserves the ire raised.. but, shit happens. He’s played well enough this year I’m willing to forgive a shit night. So long as he figures out what went wrong.

Hendricks doesn’t deserve to be playing. He has shown nothing that warrants his inclusion on the team and, imo, has the spot because he’s a good, veteran guy that the organization wants to treat right and get him traded to give him a shot in another town. That sort of thing is great to see.. except when you’re a bubble team because it can actually cost you games.

The coaching remains incredibly suspect in their decision-making — especially during a game. There are so many suspect areas of these coaching decisions that it leaves me baffled as to how they continue to be present this far into his tenure here in Edmonton.

All in all, blame-wise? I’d go this order for tonight; RNH, Klefbom, Chia, TMac, Hendricks, Gustavsson.

This was a game the Oilers should have won based on how the game was going.. and they blew it, again. This is becoming a common refrain; one way or another the Oilers are leaving points on the board because they simply aren’t good enough in a lot of areas that there is no defending them in.

Unfortunately, I have no faith in our coaching staff and general manager to put things right in the short term — neither has a track record of doing so, even in other markets. As such, I wager much of the issues that cost us games like tonight will continue for the rest of the season.

99. Colieo87 says:

I predicted 78 points cause of injuries but giving up goals for games we should of closed out. Hahaha classic oilers always finding a new way to lose. 😂

100. Frank the dog says:

Last November we beat them 4-2. Last years team was a better team than this years team against Philadelphia on the road. Last years team was also a better team against Buffalo.
    I’m beginning to think that a player of CMD’ s calibre should go to either Toronto or an American big market team at the end of his entry level contract because a small market Canadian team does not get the officiating it needs to protect players of his calibre.
    It’s the league that allows those infractions against us and they are the only ones to shut it down.
    The only way the Canadian teams can expect fair officiating is to form their own hockey league. Some of the owners certainly have the funds to draw the top players.
    That is why I no longer have the stomach to watch these games. The big market teams are allowed to do whatever they like, bit don’t allow us to retaliate. I believe that is intentional and selective starting with the present commissioner.
    Now remind me, how many Canadian teams have won the cup since Bettman came in? Since when was it ok to pocket their whistles?
    How many of us are livid about Manning coming out and telling CMD he did that intentionally???

101. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Lots of gnashing of teeth so here’s a couple of thoughts

1) Crappy three game losing streak no doubt about it. But zero of those losses were blowouts and while blown leads are a concern most definitely there is a big gap between blowouts and losing one goal games in the final minute. Much like earlier in the year I’m not too concerned until I start seeing heads hang and the effort level plummet

2) There are a couple of heads hanging and I think that is a concern. They have a four day break coming up here next week and I think that will do everyone a whirl of good. They have a stretch against Pacific division teams before and after the Holidays which are absolutely crucial, way more so than games against Buffalo and Philly, need to be sharp and ready for that

3) For everyone that wants to punt Hendricks and Poo to the wastebasket (and not without reason I agree) remember that if you do that and with the injuries on defense you’re getting into 7 or 8 rookies a night on the ice. Pitlick, Sleppy, Cagguilla, Benning, Simpson, JP (who many also want sent down and I agree). Thats a lot of rookies on any given night, are they better than the current crop of players, can they be trusted more than those vets? I don’t know the answer to those but I know many people want blood now but keep in mind the comments over the years about playing a significant number of rookies in the lineup.

4) I’m really not understanding the hate for Gus after last night. He was interfered with at least 4 times to my count, including a slew foot that was beyond galling and was then left hung out to dry on two goals and screened/had the shot tipped on two. That’s not on the goalie and while I agree there were better options out there I don’t see how you can take last night and hang it on the goaler, thats not fair. (Also Talbot hasn’t been a screaming hell lately either, did you see the first and second goals against Buffalo? Where’s the head hunting on those?)

5) The Western conference is weird and ridiculously tight right now. Yes the Oilers could have pulled way ahead but that can be said about the Ducks or the Sharks as well. Weird year, a four game winning streak brings you right back in and a loss takes you way out. I’m watching a lot of hockey this year and I’m very confident in saying that the Oilers can skate and play with any of the teams in their division. Things have changed drastically year over year, this isn’t like the last decade and the fancy stats are bearing this out.

6) Injuries on defence are significant yet again. Four guys currently out, two of which were on expected to take big steps forward (in the case of Nurse it was happening and well Davey got hurt first game so incomplete is the term here) while Gryba and Fayne are plug and play types that can handle a few straight games. Lots of discombobulation on the backend, McLellan said the other day that Davidson may be back in the lineup next week, this is very very good news if true.

7) Lots and lots of anger over coaching/personnel decisions, and this is understandable but there are reasons for the madness. Pouliot is a $4million cap hit, burying that is gut wrenching in a cap world, same with burying Hendrick’s hit that is double any of the rookies. Press boxing those two eats up nearly 9% of your cap, thats a staggering sum. I agree that in hindsight Hendricks should have been sent away for a pick at the deadline last year, didn’t happen but trying to get rid of him without retaining salary is difficult if nobody can see him playing. Chicken and egg problems. Also see point 3 about rookies in the lineup.

8) There are a lot of very very bright spots that have shown this season despite the yo-yo nature of wins and losses. Cagguilla and Benning, clear clear wins. Emergence of Pitlick and to an extent Sleppy clear wins. And of course Drai who is dripping with confidence right now. These are good pieces for the long term, homegrown in many cases and excellent free agent signings in others. Don’t lose site of this, its hugely important as the season moves forward.

9) Its a long long season and while banking these points should have occurred the same can be said for all of the other Pacific teams. The truth is that the Pacific this year is a bit of a hot mess, everyone is in the thick of everything. Calgary was out of it but they strung a five game win streak together and are now first. Are they that much better than the Oilers? Are the Oilers really so bad in hanging around the top at this point in time? The stats say there is an 85% chance of them making the playoffs, that exceeds expectations coming into this year. So while the gnashing and apprehension are real and understandable everything is still a work in progress. This is a young team who is about to get younger when Pouliot and Hendricks are in the press box or moved.

I agree wholeheartedly that it sucks they haven’t picked up the ball and ran away with it but such is the life of a growing team.

On the bright side Connor is at averaging 1.31 points per game, a hair behind Crosby, Drai is two points back of sitting in the top ten in points and Connor and Drai are tied for tenth in the league in goals.

The Oilers are 7th in PP, 12th in PK, 1st in the West in goals scored (though bleeding goals against lately) and even on this gloomy morning are tied for 1st in the Pacific.

Theres lots of positive and negative arrows each way no doubt and as fans we have the right to expect more when it is there for the taking like it has been in the last three games. But the Oilers playing competitive hockey, leading a division in December, gotta love that angst and that drive, I’m sure the payers do (even those struggling) as LT says enjoy the journey, enjoy McDavid and hell enjoy the emergence of Drai as a River Pusher. Its a good time to be an Oilers fan!

Lucinius:

Were not McDavid and Lucic the prime culprits on the 2nd goal against because of soft defensive coverage?

Or are we not to “mention” their defensive weaknesses. If they don’t make the first mistakes…but when your leaders start the avalanche…

103. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

godot10,

First goal against was on Hendricks who didn’t pickup Streit on the point after coming out of the box.

McDavid line was on for the 2nd against and got hemmed in and got caught running around, though on the goal itself Oscar was bizarrely out covering the right point leading to a two on one down low.

3rd against Nuge shit the bed and coughed it up right up the middle and then bailed on Giroux who one timed it for the right side.

4th was Voracek on the pp for the top of the circle, bounced of Bennings shin bad and dipped under Gus’ glove

5th was Nuge and Maroon playing who can cough it up quicker in the dzone with Nuge failing to pickup Giroux in front who banged it past Gus from the slot

6th was Oscar getting burnt wide by Raffle

104. who says:

Frank the dog:
    Last November we beat them 4-2. Last years team was a better team than this years teamagainst Philadelphia on the road. Last years team was also a better team against Buffalo.

Frank the dog:

Frank the dog:

Yes the refs are all out to screw the small market Canadian teams. It’s all part of Bettmans master plan. So the Oilers should trade Connor for his own safety?
    Good grief. Listen to yourself.
    Who knows what Mannings intent was last year. I don’t and neither does Don Cherry.
    He sure did get in Connors head though, by telling him it was on purpose. Don’t know if that was smart of him or not. Might be a bit like poking a sleeping bear.

105. who says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    Lots of gnashing of teeth so here’s a couple of thoughts

3) For everyone that wants to punt Hendricks and Poo to the wastebasket (and notwithout reason I agree) remember that if you do that and with the injuries on defense you’re getting into 7 or 8 rookies a night on the ice. Pitlick, Sleppy, Cagguilla, Benning, Simpson, JP (who many also want sent down and I agree). Thats a lot of rookies on any given night, are they better than the current crop of players, can they be trusted more than those vets? I don’t know the answer to those but I know many people want blood now but keep in mind the comments over the years about playing a significant number of rookies in the lineup.

7) Lots and lots of anger over coaching/personnel decisions, and this is understandable but there are reasons for the madness. Pouliot is a $4million cap hit, burying that is gut wrenching in a cap world, same with burying Hendrick’s hit that is double any of the rookies. Press boxing those two eats up nearly 9% of your cap, thats a staggering sum.I agree that in hindsight Hendricks should have been sent away for a pick at the deadline last year, didn’t happen but trying to get rid of him without retaining salary is difficult if nobody can see him playing. Chicken and egg problems. Also see point 3 about rookies in the lineup.

This is one of the more level headed posts I’ve seen here lately. Yes the losses in the last minute have been frustrating but last year at this time the Oilers were out of a lot of games after the first period. Holding a lead is one of the last things good young teams learn to do.
    I thouhgt we got good to great performances by 12 to 14 guys last night. Connor, Drai, Eberle, Sekera were all very good. Unfortunately we had a couple of key guys shit the bed. It happens. Move on to the next game.

106. jake70 says:

Frank the dog:

I’ve often thought how fun it would be to have the Canadian team owners (all are Canadian IIRC) meet as an annual thing, not unlike all the owners do as a league, or like in politics, the western or Atlantic premiers meet to discuss common issues. All sorts of topics could be discussed, officially and the fun ones the media would speculate on and stir up. I do think the Oilers got away with a few penalties in the last couple of games.

« Older Comments