DECONSTRUCTING THE LEFTORIUM

The hills are are alive with the sound of music, with Kris Russell about to sign for a thousand years. Probably $8 million a season. I kid, but just barely. Oilers twitter has gone full Rodgers and Hammerstein these days, and it is certainly understandable. However, since the Peter Chiarelli quote was “at some point, we’ll talk about an extension” best to put off the appointment with the ledge.

The quote does offer some interesting avenues moving forward. First stop: Lefty-righty. We know for a certainty that Peter Chiarelli is aware of—and values—the left-right rule of acquisitions.

• Peter Chiarelli: “We’ve brought in Adam Larsson, a high pedigree player, although not as well known to this community as in other hockey circles. He’s a right shot, that’s important in the righty/lefty scheme of things.”

The lefty-righty scheme of things has improved under Chiarelli, as he has added Larsson and Matt Benning at the NHL level, and some interesting players bubbling under (Ethan Bear, Filip Berglund, John Marino). Next step? Cull the herd.

ALL THAT LEFT

Let’s say you and I are at Timmy’s, and we latch on to the idea of how the Oilers should deploy their lefty blue in 2017-18. Here is how I see things for next season (assuming Kris Russell signs with the team).

1. Andrej Sekera—He has been the best defender on the team this year, posting 32, 4-9-13 +10 in 21:33. He can be utilized in all three disciplines effectively, and his 51 percent Corsi for 5×5 percentage includes helping his partners elevate their games when playing alongside.
  2. Oscar Klefbom—A big part of the future also fills some tall boots in real time. Klefbom is over 20 minutes a night (21:27), 32gp, 5-7-12 -4 and he is healthy this year. He and Larsson are the top pair and are over 50 percent in possession together—and that is a good sign for the future. He also has 74 shots—easily the most among Edmonton defensemen.
  3. Kris Russell—He is 25gp, 0-5-5 +5 in 21:34 per night with Edmonton. The Oilers have used him heavily on the penalty kill, suspect that would continue if Russell is signed to an extension. Russell, Sekera and Eric Gryba have been top PK men by minutes/average this year. I think the most likely pairing for Russell is Sekera—they are 47.3 Corsi for as a tandem 5×5. Current wisdom has playing on your off side costing three to six percent, so with Russell at 45.8 for the year, we can put him in the range of 49 percent possession this year. Fair? He is at 445 minutes now.
  4. Darnell Nurse—Assuming Larsson matches up with Klefbom next year, and Sekera with Russell, Nurse slides into a night spot with (probably) Matt Benning. He is 25gp, 3-2-5 -3 in 17:40 a night, lots of PK time. Great possession recovery (53.2) season over season and he has played well with Matt Benning, Eric Gryba and others. Still a lot of hesitation from many in regard to his progress, the injury occurred at a bad time.
  5. Brandon Davidson—We now reach the sticky wicket portion of our tour. If Edmonton is going to sign Russell, I can’t imagine he agrees without assurances of expansion protection. That backs up Davidson, and puts him as No. 6-7D (the four men above, plus Larsson) along with Benning. It also makes him vulnerable to the expansion draft. Would Edmonton consider trading him? I can’t see the value being there, despite great performances in the NHL. I can see Chiarelli making a deal with Las Vegas to stay away from Davidson in exchange for a sweetener.

I would take these five men, along with the two righties, and feel pretty good about next season. However, here is the problem: The current issues (RH who can help on the power play, second pair RHD—the Russell spot) remain the current issues.

• Fact: If Peter Chiarelli signs Russell, we can be assured there will be at least one pairing next season that is two lefties.

I think Todd McLellan probably signs off on those seven names, and if you gaze at the rest of the pro roster (projected) there is some interesting depth as well.

• Klefbom—Larsson
  • Sekera—Russell
  • Nurse—Benning
  • Davidson

Is that a playoff defense? I like the veteran aspect, dislike the lefty-lefty second pair alignment (no one is talking about the impact of playing on the offside, but if we are fair to Russell it is a factor based on what we know) and wonder about the big shot from the point. The No. 1 D is going to be Klefbom in this model, and I do think he is trending overall in a good way:

OSCAR KLEFBOM 15-16

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.93 (1st among regular D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.11 (2nd among regular D)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 52.4
  • Qual Comp: 172 minutes against elite (No. 3, behind Sekera/Larsson) (via WoodMoney)
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: 2.0
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 74 shots/6.8 percent
  • Boxcars: 32gp, 5-7-12
  • Information via Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com and hockey-reference.

So Klefbom has played the third most difficult minutes, and the bet here is that he and Larsson can play top pairing one year from now. If Peter Chiarelli signs Kris Russell, that is my bet for the top pairing 2017-18. Thoughts?

The lockout season was an anomaly, but even there the Oilers are tracking ahead of that team:

• Current record: 32gp, 15-12-5, 35 points
  • 2012-13 record: 32gp, 12-13-7, 31 points
  • Source

TRADE TALK

Based on online comments, tis the season for trade proposals. Early in his time with the Bruins, Chiarelli made several in-season deals—mostly to address the defense. I imagine he is at least somewhat satisfied with the defense (after all, he is at least considering negotiations with the only major UFA), so any trade is likely to involve a forward. We can probably narrow the field even more, to shooter—and righty shooter. Let’s take a look at the leading shooters this season and some of the righties who may or may not be available:

1. C-R Nathan Mackinnon 28gp, 8-12-20, 102 shots
  2. R Blake Wheeler 32gp, 8-14-22, 87 shots
  3. R Radim Vrbata 29gp, 8-11-19, 86 shots
  4. L Artemi Panarin 32gp, 11-15-26, 82 shots
  5. R Patrick Eaves 30gp, 11-8-19, 76 shots
  6. Source

These men are righties, inside the top 50 shooters this season, and you could create a scenario where Edmonton might be able to pry each of them from their current team. I am sure your initial reaction is to ask if I took my meds, but there are things to consider. Take Panarin, as an example. Chicago has $60 million on the books for next season and only 14 players signed. Could Chiarelli pluck Panarin for a major package? Don’t know, but we can discuss the idea in my opinion, because there is a reckoning out there for Chicago. It is extremely unlikely Nathan Mackinnon ever gets traded, but if you look at the Avalanche roster there is a real balance issue—perhaps the team will re-set after what is looking like a disappointing year. Anyway, if Peter Chiarelli decides he needs to find a sniper for 97, he might as well aim high, as I have done here.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A fun day on the show, beginning at 10, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Darcy McLeod, Because Oilers. Pouliot as an option with McDavid, Russell signing and what may come, Brossoit versus Gustavsson.
  • Ryan Smyth! Former Oilers great will be on to talk about a New Year’s Eve bash out in Spruce Grove, and answer a few hockey questions, too. I am hoping he will battle Lt_Eric in the corner, flatten him, and then drive to the net with the puck! Please send any questions to the comments section below and I will get to as many as I can.
  • Frank Seravalli, TSN. We will chat about the Oilers season, and about Peter Chiarelli’s mind set as we get closer to the trade deadline.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

111 Responses to "DECONSTRUCTING THE LEFTORIUM"

1. russ99 says:

A bit early to talk about D next year, as the Expansion Draft will shake up a ton of rosters, and we should see one of the best trade markets in a long time.

Going back to discussions this summer, if dangling Klefbom can shake loose a prototypical #1 D with a quality RH shot and tough effective play in our zone, we should consider it.

He’s a heck of a player with the puck on his stick, but the lack of growth in the D zone concerns me, and the Klefbom-Larsson pairing has not been particularly effective in our zone.

We also have to take our defensemen numbers with a grain of salt, considering how many times Talbot has saved our bacon on clean chances against.

2. PhrankLee says:

Wow! No fewer than 4 Lightning prospects on the WJ squad!!

The original Captain Serious Steve Yzerman drafting like a boss.

3. DBO says:

Any moves Chiarelli makes will be with an eye for the future. i doubt he makes a playoff rental move that costs anything more then a LH D fromt eh minors or a mid level pick.

So that in mind, and knowing no team keeps same roster year over year, who or what position needs someone new?

Lucic-McDavid-???
    Maroon-Nuge-Eberle
    Caggulia-Draisatl-Puljujarvi
    ???-Letestu-Kassian

So 1/2 RW. 4LW. RD PP QB needed.

I exclude Pouliot, Hendricks, Slepeshev, Pitlick and Lander from NHL roster for various reasons. think Letestu is a solid 4 C. And Kassian a solid 4 RW. Does a better RW help McDavid (the mythical Pisani) and a better 4 LW with more speed and two way ability then Hendricks or Lander. INternally some will happen but I expect LT may agree that we lack something on RW needed right now to push us over the top. Personally if they just add a top end RW, then the rest can be filled internally.

My choice from LT’s list: Wheeler (but won’t happen). Panarin is interesting, but would like a better two way player.

4. anjinsan says:

Yo, LT:

Justin Schultz currently leads the NHL in +/-, at +18!
    Playing 16:59 a game for 30 games, he has 5g, 12a, and 17pts.
    This hoser, like Dubnyk, was ridiculed out of Edmonton.

Of course Hall was locker room poison, Yak a bust, and Petry an under-performing liability.

5. N64 says:

“I can see Chiarelli making a deal with Las Vegas to stay away from Davidson in exchange for a sweetener.”

Would cost them less to pay Vegas to stay away from the crazy contract they’d give Russell. But instead of a gentlement’s agreement (to protected him one way or another) he’d get NMC on a least the first year.

Davey can be our next Petey. Yay.

6. who says:

Still think Chia is just pumping Russells tires. Really don’t see the rational in signing him long term unless they are trading one of the key leftys. Russell is a second or third pairing lefty and the oilers have a bunch of that type, in the nhl and the minors.
    That list of right shooters is interesting. You certainly did aim high. Don’t see why Makinnon, wheeler or Panarin would be available. Could have had vrbata this summer. Eaves may be a possibility but how much would you give up. I would suggest that the oilers have two right shoot first guys in Pitlick and Slepyshev that they should audition first. In a year or two they may be better than eaves or vrbata.

7. TO10801 says:

Stauffer suggested yesterday that the oilers would move their 1st as part of a package for an established scorer for McDavid with term left on their contract. Looking at Lt’s list that would leave Wheeler and McKinnon. McLellan loved McKinnon at the WCH, so maybe there is something there but holy hell that’s going to be a massive cost. Others I have found that may fit the criteria Bob suggested:

– Nyquist (bad year, unlikely they would make him available since they can’t score in the first place)
    – Silferberg (if they can’t move Bieksa they will have to expose him unless they trade another D)
    – Reilly Smith (Slow start, big extension kicks in next year, Panthers are a mess so who knows)
    – Tyler Toffoli (Won’t happen, would be wonderful with McDavid though)
    – Pominville (Meets the criteria Bob spoke of, but Chia shouldn’t touch that contract)
    – Rick Nash (Left shot, but has played plenty of RW. Huge contract, but I do wonder if Chia would want him as a place holder until JP is ready)
    – Bobby Ryan (This is the one I’m scared of. History of scoring? Check. Term left on contract? Yes, and lots of it. Plus the added bonus that he has a good shot)

Man, Bobby Ryan would be tough to swallow at 5 more year and 7.25 Million. Would Ottawa do a 1st and Pouliot for Ryan with say 1.5M Retained? That would leave us with:

Lucic-McDavid-Ryan
    Maroon-Drai-Eberle
    Caggiula-Nuge-Kassian
    Pitlick-Letestu-Hendricks/Slepyshev

Ryan is the play here I’m afraid

8. magneto says:

TO10801,

If they are looking at Ottawa, hope they look at Mark Stone first. 5 years younger and a better player than Bobby Ryan.

9. TO10801 says:

magneto,

I agree I’d rather have Stone as well, but OTT is a budget team and I’m sure they would rather have Stone at 3.5 over Ryan at 7.25. I could see Chia trying to buy low on Ryan and hope like hell he can become a 30 goal scorer again like he was with Anaheim. I hope they stay away from Ryan and go for a guy like Wheeler, but the jets just named him captain. It would seem strange to trade him halfway into his first year as captain

10. magneto says:

TO10801,

Yeah I would put Wheeler at about 1% chance. I guess you have to know what they mean by “established scorer”. I think Ryan’s salary and coming raises to Nurse/Draisaitl/McDavid make me doubt him. Unless it’s Eberle or RNH going out in that package.

McDavid Leads the league in scoring, how much more are you going to raise his scoring level that he won’t do himself with growth? I think the D and the supporting cast is a much bigger story than McDavid’s linemates

11. JimmyV1965 says:

I find it highly unlikely that Russell demands a no-movement clause. The way I see it, he got very few meaningful offers in free agency this year so I doubt he will make a lot of demands in contract talks. Signing him to a no-movement clause would be Chia’s biggest blunder as the Oil GM, and there have been some doozies so far. I just can’t see it happening.

12. JimmyV1965 says:

TO10801:

– Tyler Toffoli (Won’t happen, would be wonderful with McDavid though)

Lucic-McDavid-Ryan
    Maroon-Drai-Eberle
    Caggiula-Nuge-Kassian
    Pitlick-Letestu-Hendricks/Slepyshev

Ryan is the play here I’m afraid

Avs are desperate for dmen. How about Lsrsson for Mackinnon? LOL

JimmyV1965:
    I find it highly unlikely that Russell demands a no-movement clause. The way I see it, he got very few meaningful offers in free agency this year so I doubt he will make a lot of demands in contract talks.Signing him to a no-movement clause would be Chia’s biggest blunder as the Oil GM, and there have been some doozies so far. I just can’t see it happening.

14. TO10801 says:

magneto,

Well I think that may be the dilemma Chia is contemplating. Will an “established scorer” do more with McDavid than Caggiula/Pitlick/JP. If he decides that McDavid is going to score at 1.2 PPG regardless than you obviously shouldn’t give up the assets, but if McDavid starts scoring 1.5 PPG with Lucic and player X acquired in the trade is that enough to give up significant assets. I personally don’t think so.

15. JimmyV1965 says:

TO10801:
    magneto,

Ryan would be a huge mistake and Ottawa would give him away to get out from that contract.

16. TO10801 says:

Russell would be incredibly naïve to sign a contract without a no-move prior to the expansion draft. Why take away all the power UFA status gives the player just to end up spending the rest of his productive years on a garbage team.

17. JimmyV1965 says:

Lowetide: So, he signs and risks Vegas? I think he is better off waiting until after the expansion draft and finding his way at that time.

But maybe the smart move is to make him attractive to Vegas. If you have Davie and Russell unprotected, you get to keep at least one of them. And hopefully they go for the vet and take Russell. Now that would be good GMing.

18. TO10801 says:

JimmyV1965,

I don’t want them to go after him, but based on what Stauffer said yesterday he fits the description to a tee. In regards to your last point if Chia picks up Ryan that would probably be a bigger mistake than giving Russell a no-move

19. magneto says:

20. Dino says:

IMO I would target free agents on suffering teams like COL, ARZ or DAL.

I would go for Eaves, Iginla, Vrbrata in that order. All 3 are UFA’s this summer so the option to resign them if they do well on Mcdavid’s wing is certainly there.

If we’re aiming higher then maybe Stone or Ryan from Ottawa, maybe Bjustad from Florida I know he’s injured but it’s a perfect opportunity to buy low.

I can’t believe we’re having this conversation mid December as Oilers fans… This is exciting people.

21. Dino says:

TO10801,

Why is everyone so against picking up Bobby Ryan? He’s young and a good scorer. What’s the big problem? I’m sure some salary can be retained.

22. TO10801 says:

Dino,

Yeah Bjugstad would be a nice add if he wasn’t too pricey. It is so exciting being able to talk about players we could ADD to get us to mid-april hockey instead of arguing about the return we can get on Hendricks and Russell at the deadline

23. Pescador says:

Hi Lowetide, can you please ask Ryan if he’s getting any PP time with the Eagles?
    I’m curious because one of the things I loved most about his NHL game, was how good he was in front of the net. He was excellent at the old fashioned screen & tip, I received a ton of joy from watching him make life miserable for opposition goalies. For a time nobody was better at using their stick (his was more of a snow shovel) to clean up that loose change in the dirtiest of areas. Always respected him for that.
    Thanks & have a great show

24. magneto says:

Dino,

Well he’s 30 in March, so he is on the back end of his career. Eberle is a better goal scorer anyway for 1.25m less and less years of commitment. Eberle turns 30 when his contract ends in 3 years, Ryan’s contract expires when he is 36

25. DBO says:

No way Russell signs without no move. And Edmonton would be dumb to sign before expansion draft as it would expose someone. Both parties best to wait. Still gives Edmonton exclusive negotiating rights until UFA season starts, so it’s not like they can’t sign him then.

26. TO10801 says:

Dino,

I’m against it because of the salary, as well as the trends hes shown in the past couple years. I’m intrigued by what could be if he and McDavid were together, but man if he scores 21 goals per 82 games as he has for the past 4 years that contract will be ugly regardless if OTT retains salary or not.

27. BONE207 says:

Hi LT…
    A question for Ryan Smyth.
    Did he ever get that conditioning coach job from the Oilers? I thought he was looking for a position prior to this season. Thanks and great blog/radio show.

28. DBO says:

Also, what does Nurse or Klefbom get you? Cause if they like Russell, and want the LD/RD pairings, one of them could be sent away for the RW or RD we need. And it would or could force themt o play Russell as 3 LD, which would be ideal.

29. Truth says:

If it’s me running things, I only sign Russell if there isn’t a no-move involved. He probably wouldn’t take it, but the only reason I’m signing him in the first place would be in the hope he gets picked in the expansion draft or insurance if Davidson does.

30. Clay says:

I think all the hubbub over Chia’s “extension” comment is a ton of crap.

Chia was asked if there was talk about extending Russell. WHAT THE F*** WAS HE SUPPOSED TO SAY???

“Uh, yeh, he’s been great for us, but he’s not in our long term plans.”

Of COURSE he said there would be talk about extension “at some point”. To me, his comment was perfectly non-committal. He gave a political answer, and said basically all he could’ve said. He didn’t say they were 100% re-signing Russell, and he didn’t sewer his relationship with a very important dman for the team this year by saying they weren’t re-signing him.

For all we know, Chia has zero intention of extending Russell. The answer he gave preserves his right to not sign him, while not tipping his hand.

31. Dino says:

I see most of the concern on Ryan is his age and his contract term and dollar. That makes sense. However he’s underachieving now and if Chiarelli can somehow convince Ottawa to retain 2 or 2.5 mill all of a sudden he’s 5mil which isn’t so bad and he has a good shot/ one timer. He’s still not my first choice though I would rather get a cheaper player with an expiring contract like an Iginla who has scored just as much if not more than Ryan or a Patrick Eaves from Dallas.

Also Florida seems like an easy prey right now, I would target one of their underachieving forwards right now. I like Trochek, he’s a RH centre but can play wing and can score a little bit. So many options out there for Chiarelli I hope he makes the right choice come March.

32. DaveWatchesHockey says:

Clay:
    I think all the hubbub over Chia’s “extension” comment is a ton of crap.

Chia was asked if there was talk about extending Russell.WHAT THE F*** WAS HE SUPPOSED TO SAY???

“Uh, yeh, he’s been great for us, but he’s not in our long term plans.”

Of COURSE he said there would be talk about extension “at some point”.To me, his comment was perfectly non-committal.He gave a political answer, and said basically all he could’ve said.He didn’t say they were 100% re-signing Russell, and he didn’t sewer his relationship with a very important dman for the team this year by saying they weren’t re-signing him.

For all we know, Chia has zero intention of extending Russell.The answer he gave preserves his right to not sign him, while not tipping his hand.

33. NativeNotFrench says:

Clay,

Totally agree with you, Peter tends to keep his cards close to his chest which I think causes us to speculate whenever he does say anything. A good GM gives that answer I believe, now whether Peter is a good GM or not is another discussion

34. Dino says:

Actually the more I read on Eaves the more perfect he seems. Only downside is his age but he hasn’t shown major signs of slowing down just yet and he makes a good versatile depth player.

Excellent penalty killer
    Very good skater
    Great at forechecking
    Cerebral player
    On pace for 30 goals
    Veteran presence
    Good size

If that doesn’t sound like a player the Oilers could use I don’t know what does.

35. Bruce Wayne says:

JimmyV1965: Avs are desperate for dmen. How about Lsrsson for Mackinnon? LOL

Sakic would have to be deranged to trade MacKinnon for Larsson. The idea is ludicrous.

36. magneto says:

Dino,

I wanted him as a UFA for the beard alone

37. NativeNotFrench says:

Bruce Wayne: The utter implausibility of that deal says all you need to know about how awful the Hall trade was.

Sakic would have to be deranged to trade MacKinnon for Larsson.The idea is ludicrous.

Yeah but that’s just what the price is……..

38. McSorley33 says:

I would be calling Colorado, the Islanders and Vancouver ….just to see if anyone there panics.

I think Garth Snow would have to be under some stress given their start ….

Plus, Garth owes us flowers and chocolates for what he did to us in June of 2015.

39. TO10801 says:

NativeNotFrench,

Yeah Chia is good at giving vague meaningless answers. It shows his experience as a GM. Imagine the reaction if he said he though Russell should be in Norris contention this year.

40. NativeNotFrench says:

TO10801,

I think it comes down to whether or not you think Chia has a plan. Some think he has a master plan for this team and some think he is shooting from the hip and hoping something sticks. I am on the side of a master plan with a few mishandles along the way

41. magneto says:

Carolina having another bad year, Faulk will have to be available at some point right?
    What is the package there? Any way you can do it without RNH?

42. treevojo says:

magneto: If you’re Russell’s agent you reject all offers until July. He is 30 soon and never had a long term deal with a decent paycheck. If he can continue to get high praise from his GM and Coach he can cash in. Every team is losing a player and there will be at least 10 new jobs for a Dman.

Listening to his agent ended with him signing a 1 year contract just before the season started.

Maybe he doesn’t have a problem living and playing in vegas.

I would imagine a lot of players could think of worse places to play.

If I am him and am offered a 3 year contract for around 10 mil I am signing it knowing I don’t have to go through the same shit show I did the summer before.

At his age and the style of game he plays I don’t think he wants to risk getting stuck signing another one year contract.

As they say “a bird in the hand”

43. Chachi says:

No way Sakic would have traded MacKinnon for Hall either.

44. magneto says:

treevojo,

I think poor play in the playoffs and a tightening salary cap forced him into a 1yr deal.
    Interesting is that 1yr deal was the most money he has ever made.

He is getting a lot of positive press from the local guys and the GM and coach. That is the opposite of what he got in Dallas. Everything is trending up for him, I hope he cashes in (not on the Oilers)

45. TO10801 says:

treevojo,

The difference between this year and last year is the 10 additional spots available. That means there are 4 guys playing bottom pair this year who will be playing top 4 next year. If Russell wants to play in Vegas, than sign there, otherwise why not wait. Another difference is that he was coming off a playoff with Dallas where he was clearly 3rd pair. This year he is arguably on our top pair. If we make the playoffs with Russell in our top 4, would the Canucks or Sabres not be interested in adding him to their top 4 over the next 4 years. I think there will be interest, and it is his agents job to ensure he gets the best contract possible, which is likely to wait and see, unless Chia is ready to give him say 4×5

46. Professor Q says:

Can I just say that I love Lowetide’s suggestion of Kovalchuk?

I don’t think it’d be too risky either. Radulov situation in Montréal.

47. magneto says:

TO10801,

5v5 he is the top D for ice time. If he gets “market price” you are looking at 4.25 – 5.5 mil over 4 or 5 years.

48. magneto says:

Professor Q,

I’d be buying a jersey.

Be great with Draisaitl, trailing the play or driving the net

49. TO10801 says:

magneto,

Yeah, I think if Russell stays in Calgary last year, he gets that this offseason. All you have to do is look at what Dallas gave up to get him. He hurt his value when he was on a deep blueline that could use him as third pair. If he can be on a playoff team in a top pairing role he will get paid guaranteed.

50. treevojo says:

magneto,

The salary cap is t going up by much.

The league consists of pretty much all the same gms that passed him over last summer.

I doubt those guys care too much about spector’s tire pumping.

He is a year closer to the cliff. Maybe he risks it again and waits but he might just be a litttle more trigger happy this year to sign a deal.

Guess we will find out.

51. Scungilli says:

It’s becoming clear to me that Chiarelli is a Boston mole. It’s payback for crushing them in the eighties and tearing the heart out of Bourque’s career and them having to watch him win a cup in Denver, and ruining their fantastic scalping of Vancouver in the Neely trade.

It all adds up. First Ference isn’t resigned and MacT jumps at the chance. Then, he trades Seguin to the Oiler’s longest running nemesis in Dallas. Then, Hamilton magically gets traded to Calgary after Chiarelli goes after him. Then, he begins attacking from the inside by trading Hall. Very clever. Fixing the leftorium is just a ruse!

52. treevojo says:

TO10801,

Like I said.

Listening to his agent worked out well for him last year.

53. treevojo says:

TO10801:
    magneto,

What if the oilers miss the playoffs?

54. magneto says:

treevojo:
    TO10801,

Like I said.

Listening to his agent worked out well for him last year.

It did, didn’t it?
    Most money he has ever made, sets himself up to cash in big time. Smart move

55. trencan says:

Sniper for 97? I dont know, I would play Draisaitl as Mc Davids right wing (I believe in this chemistry) and was looking for RHC on third line who is also available to play as RW in Top 6 for rotation the squad. Maybe there are also guys who can play hockey outside American continent… Maybe… Maybe Jan Kovar is interesting name and could be your new Panarin or Radulov… Kovar has numbers, size, could be cheap…Probably there are many other NHL teams interested in him but I think he is worth a try… Sorry for my english…

56. TO10801 says:

treevojo,

Yes, agreed. But do we know what Calgary was offering him? They knew they had to sign Monahan and Gaudreau, so maybe they couldn’t come up with a fair offer. And regardless if they make it or they don’t, they should be close. I think we can agree on that. So if the oilers end up with between 82-92 points and Kris Russell is top 2 in TOI for your defense playing against tough competition he will have value. Maybe not for analytics teams like ARI or FLA, but for a team like VAN that values gritensity.

57. treevojo says:

magneto: It did, didn’t it?
    Most money he has ever made, sets himself up to cash in big time. Smart move

He signed a 1 year deal at the last minute.

His agent failed him horribly.

Take a look at willis’s article over at oilersnation with comparables to what kris Russell should have signed last summer.

He best of took out his own insurance policy this year.

58. leadfarmer says:

Signing Russell last year when pretty much all options were off the table, great idea; it let Benning get adjusted to the NHL and gave Nurse some space to get on tract. Signing Russell for the future is a terrible idea. We need a RH power play qb for the 2nd par, or even better for the first pair with easier minutes and give Larsson the Vlasic treatment with hard minutes

59. TO10801 says:

treevojo,

What if Russel received an offer for 3Mx4yrs from teams on July 1. There was a report that he had some offers. If Russell decided that he is better than what he showed in Dallas last year and decided to bet on his own ability how can you say his agent failed him. If he has a good year and signs a contract for 4.5Mx5yrs this July than his is in a better financial position. That being said, you are correct if he signs a one year deal again next summer than maybe his FMV is only 3M on a long term deal. The market will show us what his true value is in the league, time will tell.

60. treevojo says:

TO10801:
    treevojo,

Your assuming vegas is going to be looking to take bottom pairing defenseman over the age of 30 and turn them into top 4 defenseman on their team.

That wouldn’t be my strategy.

61. leadfarmer says:

And please remove Wheeler from those trade lists. He is one of the best players in the league on a great contract on a team whose GM is the most cautious in the league. There is no chance he is coming here without a ridiculous package

62. Spoils says:

My bet is Nuge and Ebs will improve as they adjust to living in McDavid’s world. I think it is a confidence issue. They aren’t the young stars with the bright future that can do anything. There’s doubt, maybe even angst…

63. TO10801 says:

treevojo,

No I’m saying with vegas there will be 6 bottom pair defensemen placed in a top 4 role on various teams. For example if NSH loses Ellis they will have a spot for a top 4 dman, while no existing team has plugged a hole. Theoretically then, a non top 4 dman will have the opportunity to take that place. This means *IF* Kris Russell is considered by GMs to be one of the top 6 bottom pairing defensemen he would now be a top 4 dman. If that’s the case his value will be higher this offseason than it was last year.

64. treevojo says:

TO10801:
    treevojo,

Well we don’t know what we don’t know.

I thought I remember something about the leafs offering 10 over 4 and being rejected but that was denied on both sides.

But if he was offered 3 x 4 and he turned it down because he thought he was going to become a more productive player at his age then I blame his agent for not talking some sense into him.

If someone signs him to 4.5 x 5 this summer I sure as hell hope his name isn’t peter.

65. TO10801 says:

treevojo,

Yeah we can agree that it should not be Chia to sign the contract. As for the agent, we have no clue how things worked out. If the agent said “Look Kris your value at your age is around 3M” than its Russell who clearly thought he was better. If it was the other way around than yes your right its the agents fault (assuming he does not get a big contract this summer). Its a tough situation to draw conclusions on though since neither of us know what happened during negotiations last summer.

66. treevojo says:

TO10801,

I agree that there will be more spots available for defensemen this summer.

No chance kris and his agent thought at the start of last summer that there best plan of attack was to have a show me one year contract with the oilers for 3.1 mil to capitize on the few extra openings this summer

67. TO10801 says:

treevojo,

No, I don’t think that was there plan. I think they were hoping the hype surrounding his “character” in Calgary would be remembered by GMs. It wasn’t so he signed the best contract available in hopes of regaining his perception to get a long term deal. Its hard to say they misplayed the situation because we don’t know what offer he turned down. If, CGY offered money and term than yes his agent did a horrible job evaluating the market

68. who says:

leadfarmer:
    And please remove Wheeler from those trade lists.He is one of the best players in the league on a great contract on a team whose GM is the most cautious in the league.There is no chance he is coming here without a ridiculous package

Amen brother

69. Side says:

leadfarmer:

I recommend you re-read the article.

Or go write your own.

Because I would guess that the chances of Wheeler being traded are higher than LT editing his article and removing Wheeler.

70. treevojo says:

leadfarmer:
    Signing Russell last year when pretty much all options were off the table, great idea; it let Benning get adjusted to the NHL and gave Nurse some space to get on tract.Signing Russell for the future is a terrible idea.We need a RH power play qb for the 2nd par, or even better for the first pair with easier minutes and give Larsson the Vlasic treatment with hard minutes

How do we get one of those?

71. magneto says:

TO10801,

treevojo,

I think that GM’s didn’t want to go long on guys they were unsure of because of expansion, and Russell fell into that category. I think he will cash in for more than he is making now for sure, and for about 4 years. Taking the deal from Edmonton was a great move for player and agent, as long as he stays healthy and keeps getting the praise that he is getting.

72. LadiesloveSmid says:

Klef-Larsson
    Sekera-Benning
    Davidson-Gryba

might be the best D they’ve iced in years, really too bad how much they like Russell

73. theres oil in virginia says:

Horcoff-and-die! Ha. Love it.

74. treevojo says:

magneto:
    TO10801,

treevojo,

I think it was a last resort move when he was left without a chair because he and his agent screwed up.

Saying that, he could come out smelling like roses if he can maintain his health and pdo of 106.

75. magneto says:

treevojo,

I would inclined to agree if he wasn’t making a career high in dollars, that tells me the Oilers had to either bid for him or agreed to meet his demands for no reason.

76. treevojo says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Klef-Larsson
    Sekera-Benning
    Davidson-Gryba

6 Russell’s would also be the best D they’ve iced in years.

77. Oilspill says:

Only idiots look at the individual as the sole paramrter to critique the player. This is a team game. Put any skilled player with a BALANCED club and he will do better. The problem is we really don’t have a balanced team. Our offense and defense just doesn’t cut it.

anjinsan:
    Yo, LT:

Justin Schultz currently leads the NHL in +/-, at +18!
    Playing 16:59 a game for 30 games, he has 5g, 12a, and 17pts.
    This hoser, like Dubnyk, was ridiculed out of Edmonton.

78. TO10801 says:

treevojo,

I just don’t get how you think his agent screwed up. If his highest offer was 3mx4, are you saying he should have taken that instead of 3.1×1? IF that is your argument, sure he lost out on term, but do you think his value will go down from what it was a year ago?

79. treevojo says:

magneto,

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

That is an hour I can’t get back spent thinking about Russell.

80. magneto says:

treevojo,

I feel that way very frequently, as soon as he signed I could feel it in my bones

Like a specter passed through my body, I could feel the hours drain from my life

81. treevojo says:

TO10801:
    treevojo,

I think a player at his age would be crazy to pass up on 3 x 4 for 3.1 x 1.

As far as his value. No one knew before the season including himself and his agent how this season would go.

This isn’t an Rfa like suban betting on himself.

It is a 30 year old undersized defenseman with quick feet.

Having just about finishing up my 30s I know when the bottom falls out there is no turning it around.

Anyway I gotta run. Kids and sports.

82. Skeeziks says:

Would there be any traction for a trade with Colorado involving MacKinnon and Barrie for RNH, Reinhart and Eberle? There could be benefits for both teams.

83. leadfarmer says:

Side: I recommend you re-read the article.

Or go write your own.

And I would bet you they are not. Wheeler would be the best forward we had on this team since early 90s until McDavid came. I saw a first and Pouliot offer for him yesterday, Lolz. the guy is a captain on a young team that needs him (see him supporting Laine after scoring on his own goal), plays hard in all three zones and is good for 80 games a year. He would not be a “we will take him off your hands” transaction. You would have to pay full value for him

84. krakman says:

leadfarmer: And I would bet you they are not.Wheeler would be the best forward we had on this team since early 90s until McDavid came. I saw a first and Pouliot offer for him yesterday, Lolz.the guy is a captain on a young team that needs him (see him supporting Laine after scoring on his own goal), plays hard in all three zones and is good for 80 games a year.He would not be a “we will take him off your hands” transaction. You would have to pay full value for him

What does it say about our GM who gave away Wheeler, Seguin, and Hall?

85. adamjames says:

Hmm. Veteran with term. Leadership. Used to be a scorer. Cup ringzzzz. Dustin Brown, ladies and gentlemen. Lottery protected 1st for Brown would make everyone forget the Hall trade REAL quick. HA!

86. CalVag says:

krakman: What does it say about our GM who gave away Wheeler, Seguin, and Hall?

adamjames:

Hah. Oh my. Thanks for this. Ruined my day in 6.5 seconds. It was going so well too.

87. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

adamjames,

So this wasn’t funny… Not at all…

Now that we got that out of the way

Lots of good verbal from team videos today. Nobody seems happy or complacent which is a great thing. Coach and Looch very aware that the forecheck and back check aren’t what they were to start the season so that’s good to hear.

Very light day today, weight room day for those that wanted it and then a trip over to the Stollery in the afternoon. Back at it hard tomorrow.

88. hunter1909 says:

A simple Oilers IQ test quiz question. Apparently dug out from the dumpster behind the new arena:

Dubnyk, Justin Schultz, Gagner…

What do these Former Oilers have in common with Eberle+RNH this season?

89. Oilspill says:

He’s a Tory Krug without the offense and his defense is pretty much shot blocking. He’s horrible in front and in the corners. Big teams own him.

TO10801:

90. Chachi says:

hunter1909:

Dubnyk, Justin Schultz, Gagner…

What do these Former Oilers have in common with Eberle+RNH this season?

They’ve never been in my kitchen.

91. leadfarmer says:

krakman: What does it say about our GM who gave away Wheeler, Seguin, and Hall?

Hes got to put the booze down?

But in all seriousness how many teams could top a line of Hall, Seguin, Wheeler. That is 3 all star caliber forwards with an outside chance at the Hall of fame, although Wheeler’s slow start to his career will likely prevent him.

92. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

leadfarmer,

McDavid, Drai, Eberle and Lucic are all ahead of Wheeler and Hall in scoring this season… (ducks for cover)

93. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

krakman,

The year Chia traded Wheeler at the deadline was the year Boston won a Cup.. Addition by subtraction? (returns to cover)

94. treevojo says:

leadfarmer: Hes got to put the booze down?

But in all seriousness how many teams could top a line of Hall, Seguin, Wheeler.That is 3 all star caliber forwards with an outside chance at the Hall of fame, although Wheeler’s slow start to his career will likely prevent him.

I know of a gm that traded the 1st and 2nd all time scoring fwds and 2nd all time scoring dman all in their prime

95. Confused says:

According to the journal, slepy to condors

Anyone got any insights?

96. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Confused,

Gryba came off the IR today, Pakarienen “could’ be coming off the IR soon or Lander coming up would be my three guesses

97. leadfarmer says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

There’s more to wheelers game then scoring and he’s played with scrubs all season while Little has been injured and Scheiffele has been mentoring a rookie on another line. Hall’s been injured

98. Scungilli says:

Confused:
    According to the journal, slepy to condors

Anyone got any insights?

Time to get somebody else paid NHL money, and they know what they have.

99. Rebilled says:

If i was drinking coffee i would have spit it out when i read MacKinnon on that list.

No chance Sakic trades him. I’d love it but never happens.

100. hunter1909 says:

Hall – “Sugar Daddy” Chiarelli didn’t like him.

Schultz – No coach ever played him to his strengths

Gagner – Tried his best and once scored 8 points – not good enough for the Oilers

Dubnyk – Not good enough to play for the Oilers.

Yakupov – spitefully developed, presumably for either being Volga Tatar, Muslim or Commie to the Lowe+MacT 6 rings know everything about winning cult.

Eberle – former Team Canada future surefire bet – now in the hallschultzgagnerdubnykyakupov Doghouse

RNH – former number 1 draft pick brought up to the NHL – now also in the hallschultzgagnerdubnykyakupov Doghouse – one reason given at the time was in case some nasty kid in the Western Hockey league targeted him; instead NHL adults get to beat him up as he proceeds to get flattened early and loses his moxie; that is, until he’s traded LOL

101. hunter1909 says:

Time to start a new pool:

Which of the following Oiler players/prospects do you think might be the next player to join the “Get Out Of Town” list(which currently has Eberle and RNH) leading the annual drive to lose good players?

1- Klefbom

2 – Nurse

3 – Reinhart

4 – any name off the roster

102. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

leadfarmer,

I agree on all accounts but I just couldn’t resist the ball being placed on the tee haha

103. Klima's_Bucket says:

Dino: maybe Bjustad from Florida I know he’s injured but it’s a perfect opportunity to buy low.

Bjugstad is no longer injured, he’s just playing like complete horseshit.

104. JDï™ says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 13m13 minutes ago

#Oilers recall Taylor Beck from @Condors & assign Anton Slepyshev. Beck currently leads @TheAHL in points (30) & assists (21).

105. Woogie63 says:

JDï™:
    Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 13m13 minutes ago

Team would be better if JP was sent down today

106. JDï™ says:

Woogie63,

Agreed. I don’t recall Slepy getting any minutes gifted to him on McDavid’s wing. Jesse has scored better than Slepy in the NHL, but not enough in my opinion, considering usage.

And Slepy just looks more NHL ready, with speed, toughness and a deceiving shot.

107. Mantis says:

hunter1909:
    Time to start a new pool:

Reinhart.

I believe he’d have a healthy lead on everyone else if he was up here. (Out of sight…) I’m not a fan of the trade, but like our host, I always hoped for the best for him.

I try to view him for the player he is, and not for the cost to acquire. His play last year after the call-up had me hopeful he’d take a step this year (ala Nurse), but thus far that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Also, having read through the comments and articles everyday since the Hall trade, I believe a portion of the fan base would be livid if he were up here and under-performing. Seeing his name in the MSM/blogs/etc would be a constant reminder of the overpay, and the vitriol would flow like water.

108. GMB3 says:

Haha the handling of Anton Slepyshev is a joke. He would probably look better of McDavids wing than Caggiula, just like Yak looked good with McDavid. But this organization hates Russians

109. Ryan says:

hunter1909:

Dubnyk, Justin Schultz, Gagner…

What do these Former Oilers have in common with Eberle+RNH this season?

Sold for pennies on the dollar?

110. Ryan says:

Ryan: Sold for pennies on the dollar?

I wish that the Oilers owned a bank. They’d pay me $500 k to borrow $100k with no interest.

111. Meier joins Sharks; Corrado unhappy; EPIX series premiere (Puck Headlines) (Puck Daddy) says:

[…] • “The hills are are alive with the sound of music, with Kris Russell about to sign for a thousand years. Probably $8 million a season. I kid, but just barely. Oilers twitter has gone full Rodgers and Hammerstein these days, and it is certainly understandable. However, since the Peter Chiarelli quote was ‘at some point, we’ll talk about an extension’ best to put off the appointment with the ledge.” [Lowetide] […]