THE 2017 NHL DRAFT

Settle down, we are just talking here. With the Top 20 wrapped, it is time to move on to the 2017 entry draft—something we will do beginning in January. I wanted to spend a few minutes here talking about what a different kind of draft we may be heading for in 2017. First, the actual spot in the order where these picks will be taken. As it stands now, Edmonton is going to be waiting a long damned time to select—Friday night and Saturday morning.

OILERS PROJECTED 2017 DRAFT SPOTS (PENDING EVERYTHING)

• First Round: No. 21 overall
  • Second Round: No. 52 overall (TO BOSTON—this is payment for Peter Chiarelli)
  • Third Round: No. 82 overall (FROM ST. LOUIS—this is payment for Nail Yakupov)
  • Third Round: No. 83 overall
  • Fourth Round: No. 114 overall
  • Fifth Round: No. 141 overall (FROM Vancouver—this is payment for Phil Larsen)
  • Fifth Round: No. 145 overall
  • Sixth Round: No. 176 overall
  • Seventh Round: No. 207 overall

I believe that is correct as of this evening. Edmonton will (pending everything) make eight selections, including three inside the top 90 overall. I believe Peter Chiarelli may be tempted to trade that first-round selection, but the lack of a second rounder hurts—and the UFA group is unlikely to fetch such a prize at the deadline market.

We talked about specific areas of need in the system (LW, RW, G, RHD) and areas of strength (C if you include the young NHLers, Leftorium) in the Top 20. In the coming weeks, we will drill down on the 2017 draft. The experts I have spoken to about it (Corey Pronman, Steve Kournianos, Kirk Luedeke, Guy Flaming, Brock Otten) have given me the general impression that this is a pretty good draft—without the impact players at the top end. For Edmonton, that could be less important this year than in past seasons.

That’s about all I have to say, beyond providing you with a quick look at what I am working on. By early January, I will post the first round run through the Christian Roatis system (I have used for some time now). It is a moving target of course, and I have to figure out if someone named Elias Pettersson is really the impact player his Allsvenskan numbers are implying (I have him No. 16 with an asterisk):

If that NHLE is real, Pettersson will rank way higher when we get rolling in January. Santa is already flying, and we should be too! All the best to you and your family, enjoy the evening and we will chat tomorrow.

26 Responses to "THE 2017 NHL DRAFT"

1. Spengler says:

Ah, draft talk, and it’s not discussing the lottery odds. Wonderful stuff!

Merry Christmas to all, and thank you to our host for another wonderful year on the blog!

2. Confused says:

Merry Christmas everyone

You too, Confused!

4. norm_klassen says:

I think using a third rounder for a rental could be a good play this year. We could be on the schultz/purcell hunt

5. Professor Q says:

Man Timothy might really become a steal if the top end of the draft focusses on forwards.

6. magisterrex says:

A Happy Yule to all!

7. theres oil in virginia says:

The 2017 NHL Draft

What in the world is this!

Settle down, we are just talking here.

8. healthyscratch says:

The fact that I’m only familiar with one name on this list is a testament to the improvement of the Oilers this year. For the past 5 or 6 years I could tell you what each of these prospects had asked for for Christmas by now thanks to this blog.

Keep up the great work LT! Merry Christmas all!

9. wheatnoil says:

What were the stipulations on the Yak and Larsen trades again? 15 goals and Yak moves up to 2nd? And Larsen has a condition like that too, no? Can’t remember what that one was.

10. dcsj says:

One nice thing about improved record is that the value of that second to Boston goes down. Go Oilers!

11. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Merry Christmas Eve, Happy first night of Hanukkah!

12. Edmonton_fan says:

Elias Pettersson averaged 0.69 ppg on Timra IK Allsvenskan over 52 games; 1 ppg this season over 27 games.

Henrik Zetterberg averaged 0.81 ppg on Timra IK Allsvenskan over 42 games. Not sure if this is relevant…

13. JDï™ says:

wheatnoil: And Larsen has a condition like that too, no? Can’t remember what that one was.

The pick improves to a 1st rounder if the Nucks don’t get relegated to the ECHL.

Not looking good on that one.

14. theDjdj says:

Merry Christmas everyone! My Christmas present this year is that I don’t have to look at the top of that list and start wondering which player will turn the tide for my team. Hope is the gift that keeps on giving.

15. doritogrande says:

All I want for Christmas is for Liljegren to be this year’s Chychrun.

And for us to stop over-analyzing complete defenders just because they’re good at everything and have no one dominant trait.

16. slopitch says:

If I’m Chai, I look at the roster see 1-3 holes and would be willing to move the 1st for a long term solution. As we saw this summer, 1st round picks are only one way to stock the system. McDavid changes our ability to recruit college kids.

17. trencan says:

I am not sure about the Pettersons NHLE as he plays second league in Sweden – Allsvenskan. The top league of Tre Konnors is SHL… The rating seems to me very high…

18. trencan says:

Professor Q,

I think the problem is, he was sick – mononucleosis… He will be higher in June…

19. frjohnk says:

trencan:

I think LT used the SEL NHLE.

Sorry if wrong.

Paging Swedish Poster!!!!

frjohnk: There is not a lot of “sample sizes” to work with when calculating the NHLE for the Allsvenskan. A quick search and I’ve seen 0.36 and 0.32. This would put his NHLE around 26 to 29 points.

I think LT used the SEL NHLE.

Sorry if wrong.

Paging Swedish Poster!!!!

No, I used the Allsvenskan. Reached out to Christian Roatis, who runs the NHLE calculator (via Rob Vollman info) and there are just so few kids who make that leap that the number runs hot. Thinking about a workaround, but I recall Tomas Hertl being out of rhyme with accepted wisdom, and that NHLE predicted him better than the scouts.

21. D says:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year LT. Thank you for another year of adding value to all our lives.

Also, it’s nice that the Oil currently wouldn’t pick in the top twenty 🙂

22. Professor Q says:

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Joyous Jul, Joyeux Noël, and anything!

I hope people are enjoying themselves and family at the moment.

23. Professor Q says:

Still upset about Benson and Bear not being on Team Canada.

24. RedNed says:

Cheers LT and fellow Lowtidians. Temp hit 41C here today and only dropped below 30 a couple hours ago so I’m going to turn in, dream about not dreaming about the draft, and wish you all a merry xmas.

25. frjohnk says:

Ok. Fair enough. One of things I looked at was an article by Kent Wilson posted in 2012.
    He figured that league was somewhere between the CHL .30 and college .44. His NHLE came in at 0.36. But sample size was small. 4 players.

What’s the NHLE number you have?

26. kelvjn says:

LT,

Thank you for the great work helping us average fans learn about the draft every year. It definitely made the draft more interesting when we have some familiarity of the players ahead.

I know I am not the one putting in the work, but I have a suggestion that might help improve your list. I think you might want to consider including a listed size for the players. More so than in the NHL, the size can provide insights if a high scoring junior player is too small(game don’t translate well to the more physical pro leagues), too big (physically dominated smaller junior aged players), or other glaring issues (average sized player ranked low by pundits may indicate speed, boneheadness or altitude issues).