SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME

Did you know there was a time when songwriters ruled the music industry? Names like George and Ira Gerswhin, Jerome Kern, Irving Berlin, Cole Porter, Rodgers and Hammerstein, Rodgers and Hart were monsters of entertainment. It was the era of the song, or, rather the musical, and not the singer. Rock and roll killed it, but from the 1920s through about 1950, Broadway and Hollywood musicals had enormous impact on everything. One of the writers above might have two or more versions of the same song on Your Hit Parade, and singers would be featured by the big bands they were a part of, but the band leader—and the song—was the star.

The songwriters, dominant and influential, loved Fred Astaire. Now, Fred Astaire was a talented fellow, but as a singer he lacked the incredible style of Frank Sinatra or the unique sound and inventiveness of Ella Fitzgerald. The songwriters liked bland old Fred Astaire for one reason: He sang the damned song the way it was meant to be heard! True story.

TODD MCLELLAN

NHL coaches are a lot like those old songwriters from the 1920s and beyond, they love the Fred Astaires of the world. Walk up to the mic, deliver the tune, let the horns and the strings breathe and allow the melody to wash over the assembled crowd. None of this personality stuff, get the hell in there, do the job and get out.

One way for us to look inside the habits of a coach is time on ice. There is no real way to hide it, Todd McLellan gives ice time to those who he feels can help him win. If you are a lead singer, you better be Sinatra, and if you are not, well, will Fred Astaire the singer please stand up?

OILERS FORWARDS BY TIME ON ICE, 2016-17

• Sinatra followed by the rest, I don’t think there is a coach in the league who would be running McDavid below 20 minutes (not even Mike Babcock).
  • It is interesting to see that aside from the phenoms (McDavid and Leon), McLellan runs veteran players through most of the heart of the order. Lucic, Nuge, Eberle, but also Mark Letestu and even Benoit Pouliot in his year of hell takes on more of the load.
  • The kids get worked in with the 4line vets (Hendricks, Kassian) and even a youngster like Tyler Pitlick—tearing the cover off the ball—is well behind Fred Astaire in TOI. Sing the damned song!
  • A lot has been written about Todd McLellan and his roster handling, but Craig MacTavish got stubborn on some unusual people, too. Do you see a Toby Petersen out there on a McLellan power play? And if you say Mark Letestu I will know you never saw Petersen on the power play.
  • I think Jesse Puljujarvi could play more, and more often. I also think Anton Slepyshev can help this team, this year, now.
  • I think Todd McLellan would be wise to have Peter Chiarelli recall Anton Lander and Anton Slepyshev today. We wait.

OILERS DEFENSE BY TIME ON ICE, 2016-17

• This is an even better example of the Fred Astaire phenomenon. The top 4D are all playing over 20 minutes, and each of them is capable of playing a consistent, reliable game. Even Oscar, who has the yips at times this year, is able to carry that weight of making the right play against top competition.
  • Despite outstanding performances, we see the rookie Benning receiving depth minutes and Darnell Nurse getting the same. Even the back row has an Astaire in Eric Gryba. Mark Fayne is an Astaire, but his foot speed and passivity at the blue line have the coach down on his ability. I bet one of the other 29 coaches in the NHL likes him, suspect Fayne plays elsewhere next year in the NHL.

Photo by Rob Ferguson

ERIC RODGERS TOI ESTIMATES FOR CONDORS

I received a wonderful surprise in my mailbox last night, an updated (last night included) Estimated time on ice for the Bakersfield Condors. So, and this is very cool, we can view Gerry Fleming’s work based on Eric’s diligence and brilliance. Let’s have a look. This is TOI per game including all game states (EV, PP and PK).

AHL FORWARDS

• This is (as mentioned) the update information and the time on ice includes all game states.
  • Two prospects are receiving what we might call substantial minutes, both Jujhar Khaira and Anton Slepyshev taking full advantage of the situation. Khaira has to be ready for an NHL recall at any minute, and Slepyshev is ripping up California since his demotion.
  • Anton Lander may not land an NHL job, but he can handle the AHL like ringing a bell.
  • We see a somewhat similar split between the phenoms/vets and the prospects/Fred Astaires here too, just as we saw in McLellan’s usage. Based on Eric’s estimates, no prospect (after Slepy and Khaira) is getting more than 11 minutes a night in ice time. The estimate has Mitch Moroz and Greg Chase at a mere seven minutes a night—about equal to Taylor Beck in the NHL.
  • I think the Oilers/Fleming like Scott Allen.

AHL DEFENSE

• Jordan Oesterle is coming on now. A slow start (and injury) has given way to a strong run here and I wonder if we see a recall. A little more Astaire in his game would probably help, or maybe he has made a step forward in this area.
  • Joey Laleggia is also getting a push, but until last night the numbers were not coming along very well. He moved up to LW and things got better (1-1-2) last evening.
  • Griffin Reinhart is playing 21 minutes a night according to the estimate and that is exactly what the Oilers will want him to do for the rest of the season.
  • Dillon Simpson and David Musil are mining the same part of the roster, interesting to see the TOI totals and the recall list.
  • Ben Betker is playing well in his first full AHL season.

WORLD JUNIORS

An unusual World Juniors for Oilers fans, as the top end talent (McDavid, Puljujarvi) available for the tournament is in the NHL, while trades for Cam Talbot, Griffin Reinhart and Eric Gryba impacted the team’s overall eligible list. Added to the fact Tyler Benson and Ethan Bear did not make the team, and we are left with just two names.

Caleb Jones was noticeable in the USA win, very mobile player who reminded me a little of Darnell Nurse is his walkabout sorties. As was the case with Nurse, the Oilers will have to coach some of that out of him. That said, he is very good with the puck, an excellent passer with major league wheels.

Aapeli Rasanen of Finland was less noticeable, but did have two shots and make himself known. More to come from the WJs, and there are a lot of interesting draft eligible players who will be on display today and tonight.

47 Responses to "SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME"

1. 36 percent body fat says:

Cagullia down, hendricks and poo traded, and Slepyshev up please.

2. Bruce Wayne says:

Those estimated TOI for the AHL are clearly wrong. It is impossible for four forwards to be averaging more than 24 minutes a game.

From what I recall, most estimated TOI metrics are tautological.

Bruce Wayne:
    Those estimated TOI for the AHL are clearly wrong.It is impossible for four forwards to be averaging more than 24 minutes a game.

From what I recall, most estimated TOI metrics are tautological.

Anton Lander has played 10 games, most of them games where Taylor Beck has been in the NHL.

4. Professor Q says:

So, I know people didn’t like it either, and are still reeling from the Hall Trade™, but I do think the Reinhart trade might have been worse for Edmonton.

I do realise that this will probably be an unpopular opinion, but I do think so.

Now we need to really stock up on prospects, in both the CHL and AHL. Sign some more college players. I definitely think that is a good avenue for Edmonton, as long as they actually play them in Bakersfield and not in Edmonton at the get-go. Puljujärvi, too.

I also agree that Foote should be the target for this draft (I hope we aren’t in contention for the Swedish RHD). Can’t wait to see Jones and Bear in Bakersfield.

5. dangilitis says:

I do find Jesse’s usage really odd, and while I would presume that the coach is 90%+ responsible for TOI decisions, JP seems to be getting the Seguin/Thornton treatment more characteristic of the Bruins than the Sharks. While both did very well for themselves, it did take moves to other teams after several years in Boston to unleash their true capabilities, and the impact was immediate. So while some would argue that these players turned out okay and we should handle JP similarly, I would counter with a) JP may be more like MPS than the former examples, and b) if he is more like these types, then a real argument would be made that they didn’t need to be slow played to that extent.

The irony is this is a different conversation on rookie usage than we have seen around these parts in some time, this time arguing for less shelter being in the team’s best interest. There is a happy medium between the Gagner MPS treatment and the current JP treatment.

6. Jethro Tull says:

Bruce Wayne:

From what I recall, most estimated TOI metrics are tautological.

Impossible or improbable?

Maybe tautological doesn’t mean what you think it means, but it does some up some posters’ method of getting their point across. To me, a tautological representation would infer that someone was purposely obscuring the metrics to forward their own hypotheses.

As for me, I’m not sure how exactly a person would estimate TOI, seeing as it is clearly quantifiable.

Pro Q: Yes, agreed. Mostly because the quality of the 2015 draft was so strong. I don’t know if more harmful would be the correct tone, but it was a costly deal. I do think Reinhart may have a story to tell, either as a future Oiler or trade asset. These high picks normally hold their value quite well, although losing him in the expansion draft is possible.

Danglitis: Yes. I think Puljujarvi has shown enough to stay and the Oilers may feel that this is the best way. It is weird, but as someone mentioned last night, pretty good comp for Seguin as a rookie.

8. Chachi says:

Professor Q:

This makes sense, but if I am a 23 year old college free agent part of the reason I would consider signing in Edmonton is that based on their recent history I have a shot at playing in the NHL right away. If the Oilers start burying people in the minors as some sort of rule they will have a more difficult time signing college free agents.

Professor Q,

Long term, from a pure value perspective, you’re probably right.

Reinhart is on track to be a 3rd pairing LHS NHL Dman and those are available via FA and low value trade each year.

16 and 32 *probably* would have produced a player with more value (Oiler’s liked Ek at 16, not sure at 32 but Brandon Carlo (went 37th) would not have surprised me given (6’5″ monster, RHS Dman, now playing 1st pair with Chara and is being called “this year’s Parayko”

In the Hall trade at least the Oilers got an actual Top 4 NHL RS Dman back.

10. Oilspill says:

Man I liked the Staples article (not usually)about shot based vs individual performance based metrics. Shot based is the whole line vs performance reflects what the individual does. Gotta like it!

11. supernova says:

Didn’t Mark Fayne leave the game in the first period of 2 of the 4 games he played ?

Davidson first 2 games back under 14 TOI, last three ~16:30 TOI hope we can expect to see see his ice time in the Nurse range as he plays 10-20 games and then possibly Rolls back Russell’s TOi

I know they AHL times are estimated and we don’t have “blue chip” forward prospects but guys like Platzer playing 10 minutes isn’t great

I am watching the AHL site and wire, we may see a Lander later today.

13. Frank the dog says:

Bruce Wayne:

From what I recall, most estimated TOI metrics are tautological.

Don’t forget not every player plays every game, and ice time is obviously averaged out over games played. Which I suppose is what LT said but in a different way.

Oilspill:

WheatnOil is tracking it this year and Flames blogger Ryan Pike tracked it last year, as well as Cory Sznajder tracking multiple games for all teams.

David only references conclusions from data that we don’t have access to and the conclusions that those people have come to is contrary to the passing/exit/entry data that is public.

Wheat/Ryan/Cory all publish their data and all have about the same rates/totals on Russell over time.

I like individual stats too, but conclusions with non-public data should be viewed with suspicion when it doesn’t match public data from multiple sources.

David’s conclusion on Russell with his own metrics has him as a 4/5 Dman, shot metrics have him as a 5/6.

They aren’t far off.

15. VOR says:

Bruce Wayne, I have déjà vu all over again. Can you offer a clarifying, explanatory definition of tautological. You can’t be using it to define a formal logical statement, thus its use must be rhetorical. But I don’t understand, I don’t understand, don’t understand, understand?

16. New Improved Darkness says:

Staples has millennial fever:

Cam Talbot: NHL’s third star of the weak

Everyone gets a star!

Verily, after algae, frogs, lice, flies, BSE, boils, hail, locusts, volcanism & infant mortality, old habits die hard. [*]

Even after Orbs of Orr replace Orbs of Yore. [**]

———

[*] Plague sequence may vary in your blackout region.

[**] Regular season not included.

17. Chachi says:

VOR:
    But I don’t understand, I don’t understand, don’t understand, understand?

HA!

18. Ryan says:

Professor Q:

Hm. Why do I have a strange feeling of deja-vu when I read your comment?

Obviously the expansion draft only makes the Reinhart trade even worse since we wouldn’t have to protect the two players selected.

19. Bruce McCurdy says:

New Improved Darkness:
    Staples has millennial fever:

Everyone gets a star!

Verily, after algae, frogs, lice, flies, BSE, boils, hail, locusts, volcanism & infant mortality, old habits die hard.[*]

Even after Orbs of Orr replace Orbs of Yore. [**]

———

[*] Plague sequence may vary in your blackout region.

[**] Regular season not included.

Is that you Fog of Warts / Dead Man Waking / I Forget Your Previous Handles? The comment seems short by your standards but the multiple footnotes give you away. Not to mention your recent post on the subject of darkness.

“New Improved Darkness”! I approve.

20. Oil2Oilers says:

VOR:

Oil2Oilers: Fred Astaire could tap dance to this post, over and over again. Mind you Ginger could do it backwards and in high heels. Would the Ginger’s of the world now be Swedish defencemen?

Karlsson for sure, and that is a compliment to the hockey player.

22. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: Staples didn’t include the passing/zone exit/zone entry data that has been accumulated on Russell.

They aren’t far off.

23. Frank the dog says:

Until the Hall Trade™ came along, there was room for divergent views on almost every subject. Since then, it’s true, if one does not accept the meme of the trade being limited to Larsson, Hall’s annual injuries being of no consequence, and nothing other than his Corsi related stats having anything to do with him being traded, then one best look elsewhere for open discourse.
    I don’t agree with this theme at all, Hall is of course a top winger when he plays, but when I take into account everything I have seen and heard here and elsewhere, I believe that Chiarelli needed to trade Hall to get to the type of team unity and dynamic that he has achieved today.
    I refuse to join then “I hate Hall” brigade, he was a very good player on this team, but he was grievously mismanaged by the previous management, as was Justin Schultz and Jeff Petry and Naheel Yakupov, all in different ways, to the detriment of the Oilers.
    Thankfully we do now have a team that comes back from being scored against, and ast last beat their nemesis, namely the Arizona Coyotes, although I believe that game was more about beating bush league reffing than outscoring a mediocre to lousy team.
    Moving on…….

24. Oil2Oilers says:

Lowetide: Karlsson for sure, and that is a compliment to the hockey player.

Agreed

Bruce McCurdy: Chia’s mention of Russell being #2 behind on Niklas Kronwall doesn’t pass the eye test or the smell test. Makes me wonder if Chia is either a) being led badly astray or b) blowing smoke? I tend towards b) myself.

26. Ryan says:

I recently heard Stauffer state with confidence that he thinks that Russell’s a number 5d. Stauffer usually toes the party line.

27. Georges says:

Lowetide: One of the truly dangerous things about the Oilers now imo is that they do not have (necessarily) a strong analytics group. I cannot say for certain, because as you say maybe PC is going verbal counter trey. I have no quarrel with the Russell contract, one year deal and he could fetch you that second round pick (possibly). Signing him long term? Bad idea, especially before the expansion draft.

Marc Pouliot having a good game for Canada at the Spengler, but the canucks are down 1-0 later in the first period.

29. McSorley33 says:

Professor Q

You are certainly right. Kind of incredible..really.

Considering how many 3rd parties hate the Hall trade.

Time for the typical round of ‘Of courses ‘….I am still enjoying McDavid carry our team on his shoulders, uphill.

Jim Benning
    Peter Chiarelli

Both men still opening all of the gifts from Opposing GM’s this past Christmas.

30. Klima's_Bucket says:

Georges,

Not sure how much analytics is involved, but Tampa Bay sure seems to know how to draft players.

Georges: Interesting. Which teams have a strong analytics group? What would I look for as evidence of such? No snark or putting on the spot intended. Knowledgeable hockey people generate insightful hypotheses that can be tested and used to extend hockey knowledge.

This came in the months after the team hired Sam Ventura, who was part of War-on-Ice.

This season, we are seeing the Rangers moving to all offensive lines and the CBJ using some dynamite ideas on their PP (Mars needs righthanders).

32. Klima's_Bucket says:

Lowetide: (Mars needs righthanders).

Here is another article on the Penguins and some of the things they shied away from in winning the Stanley.

Klima’s_Bucket: Speaking of right-handers, why do you think the Oilers appear unwilling to feature Slepyshev or Puljujarvi on the PP where they can one-time pucks?

They are young. Todd McLellan has a nice RHD in Benning for the PP too, but hasn’t used him heavily yet.

I lean towards 2) myself.

Peter said “we”ll talk to Gryba about an extension” last spring too and it never happened.

He’s defending a late season signing (which wasn’t a bad signing, although he’s playing too high up the line up) and was asked about Russell so he responds.

Its guys like Spector with a passionate hate for fancystats and the purveyors thereof who cranked up the “Russell is awesome therefore analytics can bite my nards” bandwagon and more than a few like minded fans jumped on.

I’ve found David’s take on Russell (a 4/5 guy) to be close to my own and what the fancy-stats are telling us.

The other writer at CoH seemed to drive the bus with Spec for a while but that died down as Russell’s PDO regressed.

Unless they actually extend him, this is really much ado about nothing.

36. Professor Q says:

Ryan: Hm. Why do I have a strange feeling of deja-vu when I read your comment?

I edited it, expanded it, and made it more relevant to this post, I guess.

37. digger50 says:

36 percent body fat:
    Cagullia down, hendricks and poo traded, and Slepyshev up please.

But…….who is going to take the shoot out?

Actually, when we do make the playoffs, Hendricks is a guy that will help us.

And Poulliot, well he reminds me of a guy who hates his boss.

38. Ryan says:

Professor Q: I edited it, expanded it, and made it more relevant to this post, I guess.

No, lol. I agree with you and previously wrote something similar.

39. Chachi says:

Woodguy: I lean towards 2) myself.

Its guys like Spector with a passionate hate for fancystats and the purveyors thereof who cranked upthe “Russell is awesome therefore analytics can bite my nards” bandwagon and more than a few like minded fans jumped on.

Unless they actually extend him, this is really much ado about nothing.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Also, when given a choice between a) and b) it is always a good idea to pick 2).

Ryan: No, lol. I agree with you and previously wrote something similar.

I remember that comment. Thought I had responded, did not. Good post, there, then. 🙂

41. frjohnk says:

I’d like to believe its number 2, but the fact that he actually said Russell was 2nd best to Kronwall makes me think Chia believes Russell is the goods.

If Chia was blowing smoke he’d be more vague saying something like “Russell is very good at” or “Russell is one of better Dmen in the league at”

The fact that Chia was very specific on the ranking of the player at a specific skill makes believe it’s not b) but either a) or c)

c) being other stats that are not public.

BUT
    Some of that private data does not seem to correlate much to any of the public data that has been done by others.

Without knowing all the specifics, my wild ass guess it’s a combination of all 3

Whatever deal is done, hopefully it’s a positive for oilers.

42. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: I lean towards 2) myself.

Unless they actually extend him, this is really much ado about nothing.

I read Kurt’s article differently than you did. If he was in the Spector camp my blood pressure would have gone up by 50 over 30 while reading it, and that never happened. I thought he made some strong points, to tell you the truth. As I recall his headline was “why can’t we all get along?” rather than “analytics can bite my nards”. 🙂

43. Bruce McCurdy says:

Anton Lander fans take note, especially the Prez of the Anton Lander Appreication Society. (Although I wish you’d change your handle to that from jm363561).

44. jm363561 says:

Bruce McCurdy:

Good morning from Manila. The Society waits with bated breathe for news of St Antons return (and the righting of at least one of TMac’s many wrongs), and the reintroduction of Sophia Loren pics. Clearly a huge day for our membership.

Would JM363562 be better?

45. Professor Q says:

Ryan: No, lol. I agree with you and previously wrote something similar.

What an in-depth comment! Awesome. And *of course* I’d be commenting right after you.

46. JDï™ says:

With how bad Finland has looked early in the tournament, I’m stuck between thinking how they could really use Puljie, or that I’m glad he’s not involved in that hot mess.

And Denmark just scores another…

47. Georges says:

Lowetide: I will tell you that Tyler Dellow is someone I had a lot of confidence in when it comes to parsing the numbers. I think the Penguins are a team that are doing a lot of very good things based on their move to three scoring lines and a quick change defense.

Sam Ventura is a statistics professor at Carnegie Mellon. OK. Good to know.