THE CALL

The Edmonton Oilers are running with 22 players currently, as the team has not chosen to recall a player to replace injured Tyler Pitlick (who is gone for the season). The Condors play tonight, and may make the call after the game or tomorrow morning.

Since Jesse Puljujarvi appears to be the man drawing in due to the injury to Pitlick, and because the extra forward is also a RW (Taylor Beck), we might see an unusual replacement in terms of position. Here are some candidates:

• G Laurent Brossoit. 17gp, 2.72 .909 this year, his SP has taken a beating in the last two games (.571, .783 and .857). Ordinarily, you wouldn’t expect an NHL team to call up a goalie struggling currently, and the team doesn’t play back-to-back until the first full weekend of January. Still, the backup goalie situation remains unresolved.
  • C Anton Lander. 10gp, 8-8-16 this year in Bakersfield, he has also played well in Edmonton to my eye. His is 12-3 GF-GA while on the ice at 5×5, splendid number (courtesy Eric Rodgers). I think he represents an upgrade on some current Oilers, especially 4×5.
  • C-L Jujhar Khaira. 19gp, 7-8-15 and he is NHL-ready, just waiting for the call. He plays a heavy game and can shoot the puck, so there are differences in his game compared to Lander. That is important, because Todd McLellan may be looking for a specific player-type at a position. He is 13-13 GF-GA at 5×5 this season.
  • R Anton Slepyshev. 5gp, 2-5-7 since his demotion, I watched some earlier games on the weekend (couldn’t sleep) and he really is finding a way to make plays with the puck at the NHL level. He is 4-2 5×5 GF-GA while on the ice in Bakersfield.

TONIGHT’S LINEUP

• Laleggia—Khaira—Slepyshev
  • Hamilton—Lander—Sallinen
  • Christoffer—Currie—Chase
  • Allen—Platzer—Russell
  • Reinhart—Musil
  • Simpson—Oesterle
  • Fraser—Aneloski
  • Ellis (Brossoit)

The Laleggia Experiment continues, as the diminutive defender moves to LW again. That combination was dynamite last game, hope it continues. The second line is a Saskatchewan Ranchero, maybe they are now curious about Sallinen’s power outage. Third and fourth lines have plenty of prospects, the defense has prospects on the top two pairings and Kid Ellis gets the start. Interesting.

EVEN STRENGTH GF-GA (DEFENSE)

1. Dillon Simpson 13-8 +5
  2. David Musil 16-14 +2
  3. Ben Betker 10-8 +2
  4. Joey Laleggia 21-20 +1
  5. Griffin Reinhart 11-11 E
  6. Jordan Oesterle 10-12 -2
  7. Mark Fraser 13-17 -4

Always interesting to see who is doing what, and how many. Dillon Simpson always seems to be on the ice for more good than bad, young Betker is having a nice season. Jordan Oesterle is high event, bet that is the worry.

EVEN STRENGTH GF-GA (FORWARDS)

1. Anton Lander 12-3 +9
  2. Ryan Hamilton 24-16 +8
  3. Anton Slepyshev 4-2 +2
  4. Scott Allen 10-9 +1
  5. Jujhar Khaira 13-13 E
  6. Patrick Russell 9-9 E
  7. Jere Sallinen 9-11 -2
  8. Braden Christoffer 7-9 -2
  9. Josh Currie 11-14 -3
  10. Mitch Moroz 3-6 -3
  11. Greg Chase 1-4 -3
  12. Kyle Platzer 7-13 -6
  13. Joey Benik 5-16 -11
  • Lander, Khaira, Slepyshev. If the Oilers recall a forward tomorrow, surely it is one of those three men.
  • Scott Allen keeps showing up in places.
  • Greg Chase has been in 14 AHL games this season, and has been on the ice for five goals.
  • Taylor Beck has been in 19 AHL games this season, and has been on the ice for 33 goals.
  • Someone isn’t playing a helluva lot.
  • Stats via Eric Rodgers, with my thanks.

79 Responses to "THE CALL"

1. Centre of attention says:

IMO they need to give Khaira a look this year, at some point.

He’s waited his turn and I really think he has 3rd line potential.

If he can be that 3C who can score you 35 points a season I would be so so so so happy.

2. stush18 says:

Centre of attention,

How about

Maroon-mcdavid-slepyshev
    Lucic-nuge-drai
    Pou-JJ-ebs
    Lander-letestu-kassian

That’s my wet dream of a lineup, assuming everyone played towards they’re potentials. It’s kind of crazy because I haven’t listed cags, JP, beck, pitlick, Hendricks,

When was the last time we had that forward depth? Or defensive for that matter?

Klef-Larsson
    Sekera-davidson
    Nurse-Russell
    Benning-gryba

Plus you still have reinhart, musil, Simpson, oesterle who you could all reasonably recall.

3. stush18 says:

Centre of attention,

Also my fave part about the oilers having such depth at centre is they can run all sorts of lineups. You can switch and move until you find combos that work well.

Maroon-mcdavid-kass
    Lucic-nuge-slepy
    Pou-drai-ebs
    JJ-lander-letestu

Pou-mcdavid-ebs
    Lucic-nuge-letestu
    Maroon-drai-kass
    JJ-lander-slepy

Pou-mcdavid-ebs
    Lucic-nuge-drai
    Maroon-letestu-kass
    JJ-lander-slepy

I could go on forever really.

4. spoiler says:

I suspect that they give the call to Khaira. They’ve already had a good look at The Two Antons, to me it makes sense to check out the other guy.

IF Khaira doesn’t get the call, that might be a tell on how confident management is on how he will perform in the Bigs.

5. oilerman1000 says:

Anybody see the news today from Matty that suggests the Oilers are going to try to sign Russell ASAP? Pete is not a dumb man. I can see a couple things playing out:

1) Sign Russell and trade a very good young LHD (Klefbom, Nurse, Davidson) for an equal RHD or RW. Run

Sekera-Larsson
    Klefbom/Nurse/Davidson-New RHD
    Russell-Benning

Leaves one of Klefbom, Nurse or Davidson as a depth dman which does not seem reasonable. If Davidson plays RHD that fills the lineup and Pete can get an impact RW to play with McDavid which this team sorely needs.

2) Prop up Russell trade value going before deadline. Plan may be to flip asset at deadline for RW or a decent pick(s)/prospect as teams always over value veteran Dman at deadline. Turn picks and a young LHD as currency to get either RHD or RW (or both).

The smoke around Russell just does not add up for me. The only thing that makes sense to me is that Pete is planning a “Tier Two” move to acquire two of the last pieces this team needs to really contend.

Randy

6. MrEd says:

oilerman1000,

It’s all about cash and term.
    How much is enough for Russell?

Klef is the only one of the 3 that will get a return that’s reasonable?

7. MrEd says:

Lander is my choice for the call.

8. MrEd says:

If it’s JJ it’s on a defined stint.
    “Mind your net, play big, shoot to score”.
    “Oh and have some serious fun”.
    5 games.

9. flyfish1168 says:

MrEd:
    Lander is my choice for the call.

I’m on your side. Our Pk and our faceoff win % is not as good without Anton. He brings more to the table then the rest. JMHO

10. oilerman1000 says:

MrEd,

Klefbom and Nurse would both get a good return. Nurse maybe even more so than Klefbom. Colorado and Winnipeg are the perfect target. Beauchemin is 36 and their top LHD. Tyutin at 33 is their #2. Barrie has a big contract and a history with the organization. Colorado needs to shakeup the core. A Klef for Barrie + Iggy frees up $6m on the cap and gives them a LHD to play with Johnson when he comes back.

What about Klefbom for Trouba? Winnipeg saves $1.4m on cap and evens out their lefty/righty situation. Perfect fit for Klefbom and he can grow into a Number 2 role once Enstrom retires in 1-2 years.

Sekera-Larsson
    Russell-Barrie/Trouba
    Nurse-Benning
    Davidson

If you go with Trouba you have 2 solid puck movers (Sekera, Benning, Nurse/Trouba partial) and 3 physical dman (Larson, Trouba, Nurse). If you go Barrie you have defensive equalibrium- 3 puck movers (Sekera, Barrie, Benning) mixed with 3 physical dman (Larson, Nurse, Russell) . I think that is what pete is trying to build.

11. MrEd says:

Having 4 D contracts to protect come the summer is something.
    Pouliot, Maroon, JJ, TT? Interesting choice.

12. oscarmike says:

The difference with Puljujarvi is that he isn’t getting much PP or ice time. Sure his offence isn’t at the NHL level but he is really good defensively. I would like to see him consistently play 15 minutes a night and on the PP.
    Oilers are not a good passing team. I hate seeing Kassian, Maroon, Pouloit on a line with Nuge or Drai. Oilers don’t have the depth to have a Top 9.

Lucic-Mcdavid-Eberle
    Nuge-Drai-Puljujarvi
    Maroon-Letestu-Kassin
    Drake-Lander-Slepy

Sekera-Russell
    Kefbom-Larson
    Davidson-Benning

The Top 6 play a more skilled game
    The bottom 6 play a more simple game.

Without Lucic, Mcdavid would be a target.

spoiler:
    I suspect that they give the call to Khaira.They’ve already had a good look at The Two Antons, to me it makes sense to check out the other guy.

Maroon in his 22 year old year (AHL) 0.842pts/gm

So far in Khaira’s 22 year old year (AHL) 0.790pts/gm
    I think Khaira is the better skater.

He had very good results last year with 93 and 14 (51% CF w/ 93) and those were not sheltered minutes either.

I’d like to see him up here too.

14. digger50 says:

MrEd:
    oilerman1000,

It’s all about cash and term.
    How much is enough for Russell?

Klef is the only one of the 3 that will get a return that’s reasonable?

</blockquote

Think Nurse brings the most as he is exempt from expansion. But we love Darrel so that's crazy talk.

How about Benning? True he is doing well but.. he is found money, Cinderella story out of nowhere, and waiver exempt. Surely a team would want to trade an asset they may lose to expansion into a keeper, waiver exempt asset.

15. digger50 says:

How about a 6’2″ winger with the most points in the AHL?

Sounds like someone we should look at. We have him so why not give him an opportunity to succeed before insisting we already have him figured out. The revolving rookie door used is as bad as the line blender, it does not insure confidence in the player.

did anyone know what we had sitting there in Pitlick? What a nice surprise and unhappy ending all at once.

Anyway, it’s critical to know exactly what we have in Beck and Jj and Sleppy before making outside moves. I look forward to it, just hope they get enough ice time to play.

16. square_wheels says:

Saskatchewan Ranchero !?!? Please explain LT ( I love it regardless) !

Any idea where (how) is our man Ricki Bear ? I have box protection questions for him.

digger50:
    How about a 6’2″ winger with the most points in the AHL?

Beck doesn’t look like he skates at a NHL level.

Not sure as he hasn’t played much.

square_wheels:
    Saskatchewan Ranchero !?!? Please explain LT ( I love it regardless) !

Actual Ranchero

Saskatchewan Ranchero

19. theres oil in virginia says:

Stylin.

20. kinger_OIL says:

– The whole car-truck thing was really a thing in terms of stylin statement .

– Anyone I knew that had a car-truck belonged to a select group to be sure…

– They fit the personality of mullet wearers like a glove: bidness in front, party in the back

21. JDï™ says:

Woodguy: Beck doesn’t look like he skates at a NHL level.

He might very well be another Pulkkinen. Maybe some practice time during the break will help him acclimate to the speed of the NHL, but he doesn’t look even close to what Slepy has brought on a nightly basis.

22. jp says:

Do you have the +/- number for Beck?

23. JDï™ says:

kinger_OIL,

Utes are a way of life in Australia.

The first ute was produced by Ford in the 30s, after receiving a request from an Australian woman who wanted a car to go to church on Sunday, and to haul pigs to market on Monday. That first version was called a ‘roadster utility’, and the Aussies used their economy of syllables to shorten that to ute.

24. square_wheels says:

Well I guess the Truck-tor were building is in the same realm.

77 Chevy 3/4 ton frame and driveline with a 37 Ford cab and a Case tractor shroud and rad. No fenders, likely no box either.

Rat rods are so much fun to build, just need an imagination and lots of rod/wire to burn.

25. square_wheels says:

Not sure if anyone else caught the Laughs/Panthers game but if I’m buying low, it’s from Florida or Colorado.

Landeskog ?

Bjugstad ? Trochek ?

Marmer really is a helluva player.

26. Professor Q says:

Lowetide: Actual Ranchero

Saskatchewan Ranchero

When I was growing up, our neighbour had a Dodge Rampage.

27. Professor Q says:

square_wheels,

I think Florida won’t deal until they get their bigs back from injury.

28. square_wheels says:

Professor Q,

Agree. However, put the bug in their ear if I’m Chia.

And phone Colorado tomorrow.

29. T0ML says:

So question from Florida ….

Could a trade be incoming rather than a call up … would explain lack of move …

jp: Do you have the +/- number for Beck?

He is 23-10 at EV GF-GA. AHL site has him +11, though.

square_wheels:

Well I guess the Truck-tor were building is in the same realm.

I understand the appeal for sure, back in the day some of it came out of necessity. Rusty bucket rear and a reasonable front with a good engine, etc. I am not clever enough, damn near killed myself trying to marry a Dodge Colt 1976 to an 1977 Arrow transmission (they lined up perfectly but I burned two torque converters all the same).

square_wheels:

Landeskog ?

Bjugstad ? Trochek ?

Marmer really is a helluva player.

Bjugstad can be had I think.

Trocheck ate his lunch for 2C.

He’s RHS, 6’6 and a bit of a volume shooter, would make a good RW for McDavid I’d think.

He was rumoured to be available last summer, but coming off a knee injury and 5 years left at $4.1MM would make anyone leery.

Also,

If COL wants to blow it up I can see a Klef-RNH-Reinhart-1st for Duchene + Barrie type of blockbuster.

Duchene has 2 years left at $6MM and is better than Hall imo.

Barrie has 3 years left at $5.5MM and I don’t think he’s worth it, but if he’s playing with a decent partner it would be for the first time in his career.

I’d bet Peter is calling Sakic and MacFarland hourly.

33. stush18 says:

Woodguy,

I’d have a lot of time for bjugstad. I like that contract. Injuries are piling up though, and you would have to wonder if it’s a big mans body breaking down, or just injuries.

Not sure what we offer up though. I’m guessing nuge. I doubt any of our forwards have enough value, and not sure they would take a smaller and more expensive ebs.

Nurse and Klef seem like overpayments.

They’re so heavy into analytics though they might buy high on Davidson.

Allen scored from Josh Currie and Patrick Russell, Condors down 3-1.

stush18:
    Woodguy,

Nurse and Klef seem like overpayments.

They’re so heavy into analytics though they might buy high on Davidson.

They do lack LHD.

RIght now Yandle is their best one.

Matheson is coming along, but he’s rooking like a rook.

36. Georges says:

Slep, 26

Player, Pts/GP
    Beck, 0.26
    Pitlick, 0.24
    JJ, 0.13
    Slep, 0.19

First and second rounders probably get more rope because the organization has some reputation invested in those picks. From the draft data I looked at earlier this year, forwards have to generate points to establish themselves in the league.

JJ has scored at a pace that puts him in the group that doesn’t make it to 20 NHL games played.

Slep, Pitlick, and Beck have scored at a pace that puts them in the group that doesn’t make it to 80 NHL games played.

Third rounders that have a reasonable length career in the NHL score at about a 0.4 points per game pace. Given the level of scoring of all four of these players so far, they’re going to have to go on a scoring streak in a hurry to have a chance at the organization sticking with them. Pitlick was in the process of doing just that this season.

Professional hockey is a big, cruel sifting machine.

37. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Khaira has looked good this year. Skating, size, puck poise all coming along nicely. That said, I don’t see this good shot people are talking about. He has some power but does not have the accuracy required at the NHL level.

I think he should get the call-up. I think he works as a 3rd line wing or eventual 4th line C. 10 g 15 a from the 4th line next season would be dandy. I do not see him reaching 3C level at the NHL for another few years, but that is a possible ceiling.

I think Lander has suffered unfairly. He took a few bad penalties a la Pouliot and has been banished. Caggiula and Beck should go back down and Lander and Khaira should be up. So should slepyshev.

Bottom 6 of Letestu, Kassian, Lander, Khaira, Slepyshev, Puljujarvi. Yes it is young but get them valuable experience this year. If we are in position to buy Hanzal at the deadline go for it but otherwise run with youth.

Load up the top 6 with McDavid, Nuge, Drai, Eberle, Maroon, Lucic Pouliot. With one of them sliding down to 3rd line as needed while one of the young bottom 6 sits.

Oh and please no more than a 1 year extension for Russell.

38. stush18 says:

Another player I wonder about for availability is Connor brown.

He’s not a giant (6’0, 185), but he has 13points in 33 games this year. Positive possession (50.1), shoots right.

More interestingly, he played with mcdavid in Erie. Had 128 points his final year, and has 90 points in 110 AHL games.

Leafs have a bunch of young players still with the Marlies (kapanen, leipsic, Rychel, Nielsen).

I bet a leaf forward can be had for cheap.

39. stush18 says:

Woodguy: They do lack LHD.

RIght now Yandle is their best one.

Matheson is coming along, but he’s rooking like a rook.

Yandle, kulikov, matheson on the left side though?

I don’t think they have anything for prospects after that

40. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Look out when Chia signs Russell to an extension then trades Klefbom and a high pick for Hamonic.

(Runs and hides).

41. JimmyV1965 says:

There’s no way I trade RNH for Bjugstad.

42. stush18 says:

Georges,

One of the reasons I can’t wait for expansion. As bad as it is to say, I want to water down the league a bit. Seems too competitive, if that’s a thing.

I really believe there are a couple NHL ready players on every NHL team.

43. Centre of attention says:

Watching Giants game.

Trying to keep a close eye on Benson and will update this WHL season.

So far 1 assist tonight.

Benson is always moving his feet and making stuff happen, even when it seems like the Giants have 0 jam and nothing really rhymes for the team.

44. square_wheels says:

Woodguy,

Consider our Nuge at 6M though and Chia’s love of big players, I wouldn’t be shocked to see a deal built around the 2. If we are signing Russell while sending Davidson out, I might lite a bag of dogshit on fire and throw it at Chia.

Seriously, trade anyone not named Sekera before Davidson.

Colorado though, if they would do a Landekog for Nuge trade I might be listening. Duchesne is a beauty, him with Connor might be terrifying.

45. square_wheels says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Take the pick out and I’m not at a point where I’d lose too much sleep over that.

Resigning Russell is what really scares me. Those gaps are brutal. He’s gotta use the Rickibox to stay useful.

46. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Right now Nuge is a smallish C on pace for 37 points with a multi-year contract at 6m per. I love the guy but his value right now is at an all-time low. I would be shocked if any trade right now involving him does not turn out to be a total loser.

Oilers best hang on to him.

47. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

square_wheels:
    NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Just looking back at last season when everyone was adamant Klef/Nurse should not go for Hamonic. Then we know what happened with Larsson and then our minds were blown.

I think if PC then trades Klef plus pick for another defensive defender who can’t run a PP a lot of people will lose their shit. Rightfully so.

48. Klima's_Bucket says:

Woodguy: Bjugstad can be had I think.

I thought Bjugstad was great a few years ago.
    But he’s become a bit of a band-aid.

He’s missed time with Knee, hand, concussions, migraines, and back surgery in the past couple of seasons.

Unless he comes cheap, I’d pass.

Klima’s_Bucket: I thought Bjugstad was great a few years ago.
    But he’s become a bit of a band-aid.

Unless he comes cheap, I’d pass.

I think the Oilers might make that trade now if the ask is a player they figure to lose in the expansion draft or a player not in the future plans. Brandon Davidson may or may not be in future plans, he might be such a player.

50. square_wheels says:

NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker",

Yup. However Klef hasn’t been much of a PP Dynamo and his defensive game has regressed. What Chia does may not be popular but the Hall trade should give us an idea how he ranks players.

Wouldn’t it be so Oilers to accumulate 6 Jason Smith’s and Steve Staios’ though ? 🙂

Btw, nice to see you posting here again.

51. Centre of attention says:

Bear with a tough give away, Spokane goes up 4-3 late.

Tried to get fancy in front of his own net and paid for it.

52. square_wheels says:

Adding 4.1 while subtracting 1.X from Davi….don’t know about that. Maybe they use their proprietary analytics to fleece us of Pou !

53. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

square_wheels,

Yeah, the thing is if Klef goes I think you want a different type of D coming back. Like a signed Shattenkirk or Barrie type.

Recall when St. Louis traded the well-rounded 1st overall guy in Erik Johnson for Stewart and Shattenkirk and the latter became a more valuable D man than EJ?

They got Larsson to be the shutdown RHD. They need a strong puckmover to hit McDavid in stride. Would change the dynamic greatly to have that active threat.

Personally I think Klef’s ceiling is high enough to get there. I am not worried about him and do not want to trade him. But if you trade him you want to trade to change that attacking dynamic, I think. Hamonic does not fit the bill.

P.S. I am not worried about Klef, but I was also one of the most vocal in cautioning people last year to not mark Klef in pen as a top pair D this year based on a less than 82 game sample size caused by his injuries.

He is still a developing young D. Expect growing pains until the 400 game mark. We have a long way to go with him yet.

54. Pescador says:

Hope the boys aren’t too rusty tomorrow

55. stush18 says:

Also, looking at the panthers roster, they look to be in tough for expansion as well.

Need to protect barkov, huberdeau, trotchek, jokinen, marchessault, smith, yandle, ekblad, demers, pysyk. That’s without bjugstad, matheson (who I don’t know if he qualifies), kindl, McCann.

They might actually move bjugstad for a pick and a lesser player.

square_wheels:

Pouliot and Davidson for Bjugstadt and Pysyk would be interesting. I like the Oilers pair better, mind you.

57. square_wheels says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

I’m in the camp of swapping, at least some of his minutes, with Davidson.

Woodmoney is kinda meh on Barrie from last year and this year he’s not doing well (and paid 5+).

If somehow we add Barrie without losing an existing D, I’m not sure we’re any better playing him over a healthy Davidson.

My real concern this season is Nuge not able to produce.

If I’m another team looking at a former 1st overall, not producing much of anything at evens, would you be willing to part with much more than a Bjugstad ? It’s either keep him and hope it improves, or take a bet and save the money.

We’re going to need some money to leave soon, Mc David will get 10M and Drai not a dime less than 6M.

Personally, I wouldn’t be buying a new Ebs or Nuge jersey.

58. Klima's_Bucket says:

I think if Edmonton is in talks with Florida, then RD should be a target with Ekblad, Demers, Pysyk, Petrovic and McIlrath all on the right side in Florida whereas they have Yandle, Matheson, Kindl and prospect McCoshen on the left.

59. Klima's_Bucket says:

stush18,

It appears as if the Cats may be ascribing to Bruce Wayne’s theory where you field a very strong lineup and protect the best so that when Vegas picks someone, you have so much depth it doesn’t hurt you as bad.

60. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

square_wheels,

Yeah, I was just using an example. Barrie has had a brutal year but remember what bad teams do to good players. We know all too well. I was trying to use the example of an offensively adept RHD. Some guy named Schultz seems to fit that bill…but oops. haha.

I wish I had made my bet with Pouzar this season! I was off by one year on calling Schultz’ renaissance.

Back to the subject at hand…

Klef + Nuge for Barrie + Duchene

Risky bet for both teams. Kind of like the Avs-Blues trade I mentioned.

Also as for Nuge’s value see my earlier post in this same thread.

61. square_wheels says:

But then we’re having to protect Bjugstad, no ?

Chia does love his RHD/LHD balance.

Still think they should have pushed hard for Spurgeon, need that RH shot for the PP.

Maybe it’s Barrie afterall, but then Russell is not resigned. Oh wait. That’s a good thing. God, Chia revealing how he values D and Staples most recent article has me really flustered about what’s next.

62. Confused says:

Kings looked slow against Canucks, a must win to start the second part of the season.

Back to back opposition at home, the sort of thing a successful season is built around.

Let’s hope LB can pull this together to give options.

Too much be!ief that a quality cheap option exists in the marketplace, if it really exists why have the Kings not signed him?

63. square_wheels says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

I find it odd that there is no talk of cap-o-nomics when Leon and Connor are about to make close to 16M together.

China’s going to need to re-up Nurse, and possibly Big Rig. We’ve gotta find some value deals.

square_wheels:

But then we’re having to protect Bjugstad, no ?

Chia does love his RHD/LHD balance.

Idea being you go 7-3-1 instead of 4-4-1.

65. stush18 says:

Confused,

Budaj has been killing it this year.

66. square_wheels says:

Just don’t resign Russell and frick it all up !

Duchesne with McDavid, I’m sleeping on that one. Lordy that would be fun.

67. stush18 says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    stush18,

Agreed. Problem is when you have a 6’6″ centre who has only scored 1 goal this year.

Do you not protect him? Cuz I guarantee Vegas picks him up if they leave him open.

For the record I’d trade Davidson for him.

68. Ryan says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

Oilers best hang on to him.

player 1/2

4. 2.59 / 3.69
    5: 3.69 / 4.84
    6: 5.85 / 3.80
    7: 2.19
    8:2.84

Player 2 is Nuge.

Player 1 is a talented smallish centre (who was poor on the dot) with high draft pedigree who was supplanted by a more talented player that came along.

70. Klima's_Bucket says:

stush18,

I wouldn’t guarantee they’d take him. It all depends on what they want and what Florida protects.

If they go 7-3-1 they could protect: Barkov, Trocheck, Huberdeau, Jokinen, Smith, Bjugstad, Marchesseault, Yandle, Demers, Ekblad, Reimer/Luongo

Or if they go 4-4-1
    Barkov, Trocheck, Huberdeau, Smith, Demers, Yandle, Ekblad, Pysyk Reimer/Luongo

I would assume Florida goes the 7-3-1 route and lose either bottom pairing Pysyk or Petrovic to Vegas or possibly Luongo or Reimer to expansion.

71. Confused says:

Klima’s_Bucket,

Let’s hope 7…..

72. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Ryan: Player 2 is Nuge.

Thanks. I knew player 2 was Nuge due to that first year 5v4 number that stood out. Player 1 must be Gagner.

73. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Ryan,

So where are you going with this comparison?

74. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

In case it was not clear my point is that trading Nuge now means trading him while he is at his lowest value in quite some time, what with awful production and that contract.

Oilers are good at selling players for low value and I hope they do not do that with Nuge. He should bounce back some.

Ok, so Yak did not bounce back, but look what happened eventually after Petry, Dubnyk, Brodziak, Cogliano, Gagner, Schultz, etc. left. Hall remains to be seen.

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

Agree completely. No more Dubnyk for Hendricks.

76. LadiesloveSmid says:

I miss Petry, Dubnyk, and Hall dearly. Really liked Perron. Had a lot of time for Gagner and Yak. Schultz, I wonder how well he will have to do for me to miss him. He was genuinely awful to watch every single game in Edmonton the past 2 seasons. Is it all between the ears? Flash in the pan? Usage? I couldn’t stand him as a player in Edmonton, no hard feelings for me

77. GMB3 says:

What do you guys think of Jordan Weal in the Flyers organization? Career AHL-er or does he have a shot at carving out a niche in the NHL?

78. Mr. D. says:

Lucia isn’t here,it appears, to protect 97. Hes here to collect and protect is wallet.