G43 2016-17: SHARKS AT OILERS

The San Jose Sharks are one of my favorite teams, and a club the Oilers will have to catch and pass eventually—but not this season. If there is a team that appeared in the Stanley Cup Finals in your division, beating that team might be considered a proper goal, right? Fair? Edmonton gets a chance tonight, and there are some good things going for this team.

SUNSHINE TO SUNDOGS, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0, goal differential -7
  • Oilers in October 2016: 7-2-0, goal differential +10
  • Oilers in November 2015: 4-7-2, goal differential -6
  • Oilers in November 2016: 5-8-2 goal differential -3
  • Oilers in December 2015: 7-6-1, goal differential -9
  • Oilers in December 2016: 7-2-5, goal differential +3
  • Oilers in January 2016: 4-5-2, goal differential -5
  • Oilers in January 2017: 2-2-0, goal differential -2
  • Oilers after 42, 2015-16: 17-22-3, goal differential -24
  • Oilers after 42, 2016-17: 21-14-7, goal differential +8

Oilers lost G43 to the Florida Panthers 2-1, Jaromir Jagr scored early and Matt Hendricks took a bunch of penalties (and eventually a suspension) in reaction to a dangerous hit on Taylor Hall. January hasn’t established itself yet, it could be very good like October or December, or perhaps it will be a struggle like November. I think February will be very difficult and March may be a breeze, but this month is a huge test. The Oilers can’t secure a playoff spot this month, but they can lose one and that is for sure.

DEFENSE VIA WOODMONEY, 2016-17

• All of this save 5×5/60 is WoodMoney, the scoring totals are Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com.
  • I am just getting used to thesse numbers and am surprised by the amount of movement in some categories. Kris Russell has enjoyed a strong surge up the Dangerous Fenwick since we looked last at this table, and Matt Benning has increased what I think we can call dominance in the Fenwick columns.
  • Matt Benning is approaching Oscar Klefbom in terms of percentage of overall time spent facing Elites—and that is a trend based on my viewing of this material. The fact that Benning is so dominant in DFF makes the move logical, but it is very surprising considering our views on these two players just short months ago.

FORWARDS VIA WOODMONEY, 2016-17

• Connor McDavid belongs in a higher league, these are exceptional numbers. Now, consider he isn’t yet 20 and those numbers become even more impressive. McDavid is still growing, getting faster, but I think he is also adjusting to the rigors of the NHL and picking his spots more.
  • Leon Draisaitl and Patrick Maroon are the floating boats with McDavid these days, but there is evidence this trio has some real chem and could be around awhile.
  • Milan Lucic, RNH and Jordan Eberle have been playing the toughest opposition a lot this season and two of the men are staying above water against elites. A key element to second half success must be to find offensive success at 5×5 for these men. We know they have the ability, so chem and luck have to change.
  • Some of this would be solved with a veteran shooter who can play RW. There simply aren’t many of those types available, as too few teams have fallen out of contention.

BAD BET

Lots of hammering about Jonas Gustavsson today, fans and media suggesting it was a terrible bet. It was. In April, when we looked at the free agents available, I listed four reasonable bets—none of whom were Jonas Gustavsson. Some of my bets haven’t worked out either, but the Gustavsson bet was poor from day one and had little chance (based on what we know) to work. It isn’t a matter of picking on Peter Chiarelli, this was a wayward bet that had no easy explanation. That is not a good thing.

FROM THE OTHER SIDE

• Jake Sundstrom: It’s hard to figure out exactly what the best lines are for Edmonton because Todd McLellan likes to blend lines in Alberta just as much as he did in San Jose. Maroon has spend time with Connor McDavid, Jordan Eberle and Leon Draisaitl — sometimes with two of the aforementioned three. And Edmonton can’t resist sending Milan Lucic out on the top line with McDavid, despite his skillset being better suited to a third-line role.
  • Jake Sundstrom: That gives San Jose an advantage, of course. McDavid took the Sharks’ lunch money in their last meeting by embarrassing Joe Thornton and company with his speed, but keeping a hit-first player like Lucic out there helps mitigate the damage. That might change with Timo Meier on the ice, but McDavid is going to be the best player in the NHL before his career is over, so expect the Sharks to take the L while he’s on the ice.
  • Source

KEN HODGE

The first dominant line I remember well was the Wayne Cashman—Phil Esposito—Ken Hodge line of the late 1960s through early 1970s. Cashman was basically Ryan Smyth without the mullet, Phil Esposito is unique in human history (picture a giant rock in the slot, with good hands) and Hodge was the guy who combined a lot of skill elements. He was a bigger guy, not overly physical, but a sharp passer and he had a very good shot.

McDavid and Esposito are as far apart as one can get in terms of actual style, but their impact on the game is somewhat similar—of course Esposito had Orr back there to help. Hodge complemented this line by being able to do multiple things, and for McDavid that man may be Leon.

Draisaitl can transport the puck, he can shoot, he is a sublime passer. Folks, I know some of you will hate me, but the search may be over and it may be Leon. The number of posters who want LD at C is myriad, but I think he has found a higher calling. The McDavid line.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Jonathan Willis, Oilers Nation. The power of the McDavid line, Benning as Calder candidate, the week past and the one to come.
  • Jake Sundstrom, Fear the Fin. We will chat about the best team in the Pacific and what is working and what is not working.
  • Scott Cullen, TSN. We will go around as many Canadian NHL cities as we can and check in on the current situations.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

367 Responses to "G43 2016-17: SHARKS AT OILERS"

Newer Comments »

There were some issues on the blog last night and this morning, they should be fine now. If you are having sign in or posting issues, please let me know and I will attempt to fix later in the day.

2. DBO says:

While I understand the desire for a better RW, would ti make more sense to search out a better 3C? If we added Hanzal or someone like him, would that make us a more competitive playoff team then a 3RW? If your third line is:
    Pouliot-Hanzal-Kassian
    is that better then say
    Pouliot-Caggulia-Eberle (assuming we had a RW that played with Nuge line instead of moving Eberle up)

3. dcsj says:

Another fallout from the Bettman point system?

4. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Coming from last thread

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Think that both Vrbata and Hanzal would be great fits here.

Maroon-McDavid-Drai
    Lucic-Nuge-Eberle
    Pouliot-Hanzal-Vrbata
    Lander-Letestu-Kassian
    Slepyshev

Send Caggiula down

That forward group is big, skilled, ready to rumble in the playoffs.

I would give up a little more to move early and close the deal ahead of the deadline.
    1st this year, Hendricks for salary and a prospect. Yup, pricy, but I don’t expect Chayka to give up those two chips early for cheap. The key is to get them now rather than at the deadline, IMO.

You Mr. NYCOil have been on fire lately and I love this setup.

The Jets and Stars did the Oilers a huge solid last night. A bit of daylight is starting to appear between the top three in the Pacific and the rest. LA has two in hand still (Oil play tonight and LA not until Thursday) however said game on Thursday is against the Blues while the Oilers play host to Hall and the Devils.

I think the culling of the roster has begun and while Sleppy won’t set the world on fire he’ll get another shot to make some hay here with his trip to the Condors being a smashing success. He and Lander have about 6 weeks to make a deep impression. Cagguilla will likely be sent down at some point and hopefully, Mr. Chayka is in a dealing mood to plug that hole.

The the Oilers can do themselves a serious favour if they come to play in each game the rest of this month. There are points up for grabs and two games against Cowtown that could really really matter.

February will be tough but its also the type of month that can galvanize a team if they can saw off or come out slightly ahead. That’s a lot to ask I know but there are teams that the Oilers have played very well against clogging up the February schedule and lots of rest days preceding the slog so I remain tentatively optimistic.

I honestly don’t know how to deal with my emotions right now. We are entering the middle of January with the management making intelligent decisions that should help win hockey games, while the team seems to be slowly but surely rounding into form. If the coaching staff can fix that miserable PK (Oilers are now 19th in the league) and a few of the vets can start kicking out the jams I just may start to get very excited.

5. DBO says:

Funny thing is that both possibilities can come from Arizona. They have a 2RW scorer and a great 3C with size. Both UFA’s. Vrbata and Hanzal. Huge sellers market so the cost will be high. But if any year we are to move our top picks for a playoff rental this may be it with a weaker draft class and us actually picking toward the back half of the draft.

I prefer Hanzal over Vrbata, as I expect Eberle to emerge form his funk sooner then later and i feel a 3C with size to go with our solid 4th line is a team built for the grind of the playoffs.

6. JJS says:

dcsj:

Another fallout from the Bettman point system?

Possibly. But parity has kept the Oilers interesting for the last 10 years so I am not going to mock it too harshly.

Now that we have turned the corner, we’d love the Bettman point system to change but we have benefited from it this year as well.

It would be interesting to see where we would be in the standings this year if the 3-points for a regulation win, 2 for an OT win, and 1 for an OT loss system was introduced. Our 3 point games are few and far between.

7. russ99 says:

Going to be interesting to see if we can get the same sustained offensive pressure as we did against the Devils and Sens, although San Jose is a much tougher nut to crack.

I’ve been sold on Draisaitl-McDavid for months now. I also like how Drai takes faceoffs when facing tougher comp and in our zone.

Hanzal seems a perfect fit, but he’s going to be pricy, even for a rental, and he misses games sporadically to injury.

8. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I respectfully disagree. Even with parity we’ve been out of it by Christmas more often than not.

My continued interest in the Edmonton Oilers over that period is due primarily to Mr. Allan Mitchell, if I’m being honest.

WC standings via pts% as of this AM

MIN 0.705
    NSH 0.513
    DAL 0.512
    VAN 0.512
    WPG 0.500
    ARI 0.375
    COL 0.346

Its tightening up a bit for the Wild Card spots with LAK,CGY, NSH, DAL and VAN with a shot.

EDM needs to finish the month at or near .600 to be above that fray.

As LT said, Feb is a real bitch kitty and I expect a losing record that month.

Oilers play SJS twice, CGY twice, ARI once and ANA once this month.

Need to come out those 6 games with 8 points imo.

Also,

EDM put up a 68.23% CF in the last two games, (67.44 when score/venue adjusted)

This was against the two most passive fore-checks in the NHL and EDM was allowed to come out of their zone quite easily.

That will not be the case tonight as SJS plays a pressure game both in the ozone and neutral zone and make you fight for every inch of ice.

It seems like the current mix on the lines play well together though so I’m really interested in how they do against a good team.

I’d like to see Sleppy take 44’s spot with 27-93 and move him down with 55 as those two play well together.

Hope to see it.

Also,

McLellan put 77 back with 6 for 3 minutes last game.

It was mostly in the 2nd period, but am interested to see if that continues.

If 88 is ready to go I expect McLellan to swap out 62 for him.

Go Oilers!!

*clap,clap*

10. supernova says:

Drai might be the very best compliment at W for McDavid.
    Which means we need another C.

I know lots of people like Hanzal.

However I wouldn’t give up the 1st Round pick for anything other than long term.

What does Hanzal Cost to resign?

11. Scungilli says:

Hanzal worries me. Lucic scratches that itch and is enough risk with older big slow average offense players that are supposed to bring toughness but disappoint. Hanzal isn’t worth more than he gets now and he will probably be getting more next contract.

I hope they seek out players with good speed, that get paid closer to what they deserve. it would be a shame for the Oilers to have McDavid and be a plodding team with some anchor contracts.

12. anjinsan says:

In the wake of the senselessly late sending down of Puljujarvi…

An Oiler GM walks into a bar.
    The bartender says, “Whatya be havin’ tonight?”
    The Oiler GM says, “I’ve been awful lucky of late. Surprise me, Scotty!”
    The bartender lines up three stiff drinks for the GM in Stanley Cup goblets.
    The GM says, “Whoa, you wanna get me fired?”
    “On the contrary.”, says the bartender.
    “These are three drinks that went down well in Detroit and are now the signature cocktails in Chicago!”
    The bartender smiles impishly — “They’re called scouting and drafting well, proper development, and asset management. You’ll find they’re an acquired taste. Cheers, Mate!”

13. JimmyV1965 says:

Would love to get Hanzel but a first round pick for a rental right now is too much. I would never want to resign him.

14. wheatnoil says:

***** SPAM Alert*****

For those interested, I wrote up my Zone Defence tracking for the first half of the season. I think there’s some interesting findings including overall improvement by the team. I’ve also put forward a theory on Kris Russell, since we don’t talk about him enough! 🙂

***** End SPAM*****

15. Dino says:

It wouldn’t make sense to pay such a high price for a rental like Hanzal who makes 3.5 mil and will probably get 5+ mil as a free agent in the summer, therefore giving the Oilers almost no chance to sign him.

Stauffer keeps suggesting that IF the oilers do indeed go after a player as a free agency add it will be a player with some term left, not a rental. In that case I would like to see someone like Bjugstad from Florida who is having an injury prone off-year this season. He should come pretty cheap plus he’s a RH centre who can play wing and loves to shoot. I have a feeling the Oilers will also be highly interested in Colborne from Colorado. He’s a big winger who can skate and had a 20 goal season last year in CGY.

I guess we will see how things shake up.

16. Cooldude says:

I might be in the minority, but I think Puljujärvi has been good enough to play ~15 minutes a night with the Oilers. It’s hard to make an impact when you play 3 minutes a night.

17. Tapdog says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie · 3m3 minutes ago

TOR claims Curtis McElhinney from CBJ. Derek Grant (BUF) on waivers.

18. Centre of attention says:

Frank Seravalli ‏@frank_seravalli 4m4 minutes ago
    I know this All-Star format has its roster limitations, but Martin Jones over Cam Talbot is a head-scratcher for me. #Oilers

Frank Seravalli ‏@frank_seravalli 2m2 minutes ago
    #Oilers are one point off Pacific division lead. McDavid is their only representative. Sharks already had Pavelski and Burns.

Frank Seravalli ‏@frank_seravalli 1m1 minute ago
    Talbot is the league leader in minutes and shots faced. His wins are equal to Jones and his save percentage (.920 vs. .917) is better. 🤔

19. leadfarmer says:

We finally draft that good big center we’ve been waiting for since the Arnott weight days and we put him on the wing. I hope that is just a filler until Pulju grows up or off-season pickups since I don’t see many trades with term happening this year

20. Chachi says:

Centre of attention,

I am thrilled that Talbot is not on the all-star team. He can spend that weekend with his wife and babies and rest a little. He will need the time off.

21. Jethro Tull says:

Centre of attention:
    Frank Seravalli ‏@frank_seravalli4m4 minutes ago

Frank Seravalli ‏@frank_seravalli2m2 minutes ago

Frank Seravalli ‏@frank_seravalli1m1 minute ago

But Edmonton isn’t trying to sell hockey to sun-tanned surfers.

22. Jethro Tull says:

Chachi,

Rest? With newborn kids? Twins, no less?

Trust me, he was less busy playing hockey.

23. linkfromhyrule says:

Tapdog:
    Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie· 3m3 minutes ago

TOR claims Curtis McElhinney from CBJ. Derek Grant (BUF) on waivers.

Damn. I said that TOR would take a long look at him in the morning thread yesterday. Was hoping to be wrong though.

I hate that TOR is no longer a laughingstock

24. fifthcartel says:

linkfromhyrule,

I don’t think that’s a good move. McElhinney’s career numbers aren’t that far off from Gus’.

25. StixMalone says:

With Toronto picking up Mcelhinney what options are left at this stage? Call up Brossoit ? He’s having a tough go right now and bringing him up to see if he can get on track us nit the right thing to do, Maybe a trade is loomingfor a backup? If so what is the target? Maybe a temporary move for this season only? Still no official word on a recall at this time seems weird…

26. marchmentsknee says:

LT, I remember you mentioning the possibility of Leon being the right fit for McDavid quite some time ago and as they continue to play together it becomes clear that this is the right move. I think if they finish the year together Leon will finish top 10 in scoring. I also think Leon gets an 8mil/year contract when the time comes. Our dreams of an elite scoring Dman will have to come from within if we expect to keep the core together in a few years.

27. russ99 says:

It would be nice to have more All Star representation, but I’m glad Talbot gets a break.

Draisaltl is almost as big an All Star snub in my book.

This year’s skills competition will be really interesting, McDavid may set records for fastest skater.

We (hopefully) only need a backup goalie 4 times until the deadline:

1-20/21 (NSH/@CGY)
    1-25/26 (@ANA/@SJ)
    2-2/3 (@NSH/@CAR)
    2-21/22 (@TB/@FLA)

Broissoit can’t be much worse than Monster was, and I suspect his AHL numbers this year could partially be due to a bottom-10 AHL roster and being kept in the AHL for too long.

Just don’t want too much NHL time or he jumps to the top of Vegas’ list.

28. Chachi says:

Jethro Tull:
    Chachi,

Rest?With newborn kids?Twins, no less?

Trust me, he was less busy playing hockey.

Well they say a change is as good as a rest and with newborn twins that’s probably over 10 changes a day.

29. pocession charge says:

Chachi:
    Centre of attention,

I was thinking the same thing. It’s a nice personal accolade but he is far better off resting. The team is going to ride him like Secretariat for the rest of the season so it is imperative that he gets the time off.

30. pocession charge says:

marchmentsknee:

$8M per year? Where did you get that number from? He’s got several RFA years before he hits UFA so those are not worth $8M/year. He might sign a long term $6M AAV deal but anymore than that is overpaying.

31. spoiler says:

wheatnoil:
    ***** SPAM Alert*****

***** End SPAM*****

Wow! Thanks a lot for this and for all the hours that went into it.

There’s a ton of hypotheses in your article that I don’t think we will resolve until there is multi-year data for multiple teams.

Be interesting to see trends like one for coaches as they switch teams… maybe we can capture some system effect.

32. hunter1909 says:

marchmentsknee: I think if they finish the year together Leon will finish top 10 in scoring.

I was wondering how Leon would look taking a few shifts on RD.

33. marchmentsknee says:

pocession charge,

I’m saying that because by the time he’s a UFA he’ll be a point per game player who plays a two way game that is more conducive to staying healthy than McD’s. I know I’m not the only one who holds his breath at the end of every Connor rush.

34. hunter1909 says:

Waving that poor “monster” proves the “new” management is infinitely more on the case than the previous “Lowely” regime…who would not only have kept him for the season/playoffs, but argue Dallas Eakins knew what he was doing as Oilers coach.

35. NativeNotFrench says:

In my opinion, which is worth less than a Canadian Penny, Leon is a bigger snub than Talbot. Leon Draisaitl is very quietly and very quickly becoming the second best player on this team and I think he complements McDavid so well. Those two together are money and I think I agree that 3C should be the play so we can keep those two together. If young 83 continues to develop then no need to trade for an RS PP QB either. Building blocks and early days but I am thrilled with the development of those two players

36. hunter1909 says:

marchmentsknee: I know I’m not the only one who holds his breath at the end of every Connor rush.

Nothing to worry about. McDavid’s already modifying his game big time for the NHL.

At 6’1″ he’s the perfect height for a superstar forward. It’s almost like he was designed in a hockey laboratory, and besides he’s getting protection this season from Chiarelli’s “Big Bad Oilers”.

37. spoiler says:

LT said…

lol…. your Nuge Love is showing!!!

Let’s see how the line does tonight against real comp (assuming SJS shows up). I like their start but would like to see sustain even more. Patience, people.

I actually was really enjoying Drai on Nuge’s right side.

Eberle must be wondering about what the hell has happened. He’s a smart kid, former Scholastic Player, and smart people can do real damage to the insides of their head when drowning in a river of inexplicable, bad outcomes.

38. hunter1909 says:

Am I the only one who noticed the insane difference between Eberle’s game all season and vs Taylor Hall’s devils?

Methinks Eberle’s saving himself for the first time he plays in the NHL playoffs, later on this season. No point in killing himself now, lol.

39. Scungilli says:

It’s more important that Connor has a winger that can play with him than Leon being a big centre. Especially with Nuge being capable even if snake bit of being a top 2 centre. It shouldn’t be too hard to find an affordable 3C with some experience, maybe not now. Rentals for a team as longshot for a Cup win as the Oilers this year would harm the future unless they are dirt cheap.

40. Woogie63 says:

hunter1909: I was wondering how Leon would look taking a few shifts on RD.

I would rather see Davidson play 10 games as the 4LW, that would make the Vegas draft more interesting.

41. hunter1909 says:

spoiler: Let’s see how the line does tonight against real comp (assuming SJS shows up).

Since you’re a more level headed fan type than myself, from my perspective it’s Leon+McDavid who drive the on ice action, with Maroon stepping in with a great impression of a Rick McLeish goal scoring role. Maroon, a B+W hockey star teleported into 2017 lol.

Leon controls play, he makes top players look average, but in fairness they’re all probably too busy being terrified of McDavid making them look like beer leaguers.

42. marchmentsknee says:

hunter1909,

This is all opinion based so it doesn’t amount to anything but if you had to predict which player would average more games per season in their career: Leon or McD?

My eyes tell me one skates with his hair on fire and the other is smooth as silk.

43. npanciroli says:

Don’t have confidence in a win tonight, but it would be huge.

44. spoiler says:

hunter1909,

lol…

Reggie Leach is the guy they’re missing… well on-ice anyways, as opposed to “with ice”. A RHed rocket shot.

Aww Christ…. I’m probably still angrier than LT that the Flyers beat the Bruins with our own damn draft picks.

45. hunter1909 says:

marchmentsknee:
    hunter1909,

Leon is like Jean Beliveau; smooth, bigger and stronger than everyone else but with a big time latent mean streak. Players like this have a tendency to hang around the top ten in scoring for over a decade, often more like fifteen seasons. Players like this are cornerstone franchise players, and it’s YUGE that the Oilers stole this kid.

Connor McDavid’s like Bobby Orr playing centre; Barring a catastrophe, he might lose up to 10 games a season on average.

If I was making a bet it would be on Draisaitl to be best able to deal with the desperate measures that the rest of the NHL already probably understands is the future of playing the Oilers. Between McDavid and Leon there’s no team save the Penguins who can match, let alone beat them.

46. hunter1909 says:

spoiler:
    hunter1909,

lol…

Reggie Leach is the guy they’re missing… well on-ice anyways, as opposed to “with ice”.A RHed rocket shot.

Great call on Leach. Another great Flyer who, like many of the Flyers 74-75 mini dynasty 100% dominated hockey(including the Russians).

Maroon’s particularly valuable because, like the old timers he fights. I hope they don’t let him go. Not when he’s leading the NHL in even strength goals. : p

47. hunter1909 says:

spoiler: I’m probably still angrier than LT that the Flyers beat the Bruins with our own damn draft picks.

1971…1971…1971….

48. spoiler says:

hunter1909,

Another All-Star snub!!

49. linkfromhyrule says:

Snub aside, do we save money on Drai’s bonuses for him not making the All Star team?

50. N64 says:

spoiler:
    hunter1909,

Another All-Star snub!!

No snub for our Hall Star!!!

As per Stauffer:

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
    Lucic-RNH-Eberle
    Pouliot-Caggiula-Kassian
    Hendricks-Letestu-Lander
    Slepyshev is the extra

52. Professor Q says:

Woodguy,

I like it.

53. Doug McLachlan says:

linkfromhyrule,

Yes, All-Star selection is a $212,500 bonus. Dodged!

Still a snub IMHO but hard to select a minimum 1 player per team and not slight someone.

54. hunter1909 says:

As per Stauffer:

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
    Lucic-RNH-Eberle
    Pouliot-Caggiula-Kassian
    Hendricks-Letestu-Lander
    Slepyshev is the extra

A proper RH 3C makes that a pretty strong group. Throw in a strong 2RD and backup and go for it!

56. rickithebear says:

russ99: Draisaltl is almost as big an All Star snub in my book.

Lets face it It is an offensive game.
    So you want the the best offensive players.

There are currently 21 forwards top 30 (#1 fwd) in Goals and Points in the NHL

As per Stauffer:

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
    Lucic-RNH-Eberle
    Pouliot-Caggiula-Kassian
    Hendricks-Letestu-Lander
    Slepyshev is the extra

Would flip Lander for Hendricks and then swap Slepy for Hendricks but really, if I’m complaining about the fourth line’s constructions – this is progress.

Really would like to give that 2nd line a long, multi-game, look. Eberle can’t remain snake-bit forever, can he? Convinced since the summer that Lucic’s game is better suited to play with Nuge than with McDavid and really want to see if that’s the case.

I know that Leon will center his own line in time bur for now, while JP is remembering where he misplaced his offensive instincts, let Draisaitl revisit a young Moose and patrol the kid’s rw – it looks to be doing them both a load of good.

GoOilers!

58. Professor Q says:

I love how the MSM’s highlights of the All-Star Game are Matthews and Laine.

What about McDavid?!

59. Professor Q says:

Doug McLachlan:
    linkfromhyrule,

Yes, All-Star selection is a $212,500 bonus.Dodged!

Not when most of their selections were Sharks.

Talbot > Jones and Draisaitl > Pavelski.

60. Georges says:

Here are CMD’s point production rates in all situations in 15-16:

G/60 1.13
    A/60 2.26
    P/60 3.39

Here are CMD’s point production rates in all situations so far this season:

G/60 0.88
    A/60 2.30
    P/60 3.18

And just to get a sense of ceilings, here are the top rates going back to 2007-08 for forwards that have played at least 1000 minutes in a season.

G/60 2.05 (Ovechkin 07-08)
    A/60 3.09 (H. Sedin 09-10)
    P/60 4.24 (D. Sedin 09-10)

Room to grow?

61. dustrock says:

Professor Q: Not when most of their selections were Sharks.

Talbot > Jones and Draisaitl > Pavelski.

Which team was the Cup Finalists again?

62. Jethro Tull says:

dustrock: Which team was the Cup Finalists again?

Cup Finalist = First Loser!

63. Jethro Tull says:

Professor Q: What about McDavid?!

*Puts on Eastern MSM hat*

What about him?

64. Professor Q says:

dustrock,

Irrelevant.

Technically, there are no Cup Finalists yet this year.

65. JimmyV1965 says:

I absolutely love the Maroon-McDavid-Drai line and can’t wait to see how they stack up against the Sharks tonight. They won’t destroy the competition like they did in New Jersey and Ottawa, but I can seeing them dominating the Sharks as well. Having said that, I think Drai needs to head up the second line, for the same reason we needed Taylor Hall there – to spread out the offence. Ultimately this is what I would like to see:

Maroon-McDavid-Eberle
    Lucic-RNH-Drai

66. Jethro Tull says:

Honest question: I thought Connor’s All-Star place wouldn’t count as he was voted in by fans, therefore Edmonton should have another slot?

You know, being voted Captain is above and beyond and all that.

67. Professor Q says:

JimmyV1965,

I disagree. Getting Eberle to work with RNH and Draisaitl to help boost first line production with McDavid are much more important endeavours.

68. Professor Q says:

Jethro Tull:
    Honest question:I thought Connor’s All-Star place wouldn’t count as he was voted in by fans, therefore Edmonton should have another slot?

You know, being voted Captain is above and beyond and all that.

There were two Ovechkins playing opposite positions one year.

I’m not sure it’s supposed to make sense.

69. Truth says:

I enjoy Sundstrom’s digs at Lucic. Wonder what Lucic did to SJS last season for that resentment. Not too far off base, but Maroon is killing it on McDavid’s line with a very similar skill set to Lucic, so it’s tough to knock the pairing of speed and size at the moment.

70. rickithebear says:

Georges: G/60 2.05 (Ovechkin 07-08)
    A/60 3.09 (H. Sedin 09-10)
    P/60 4.24 (D. Sedin 09-10)

Goal rate
    13-14 2.56
    14-15 2.52
    15-16 2.51
    16-17 2.56

?????

71. Dominoiler says:

“JJS: Possibly.But parity has kept the Oilers interesting for the last 10 years so I am not going to mock it too harshly.”

Ca$h-McMoney!: I respectfully disagree.Even with parity we’ve been out of it by Christmas more often than not.

100%

72. judgedrude says:

leadfarmer:
    We finally draft that good big center we’ve been waiting for since the Arnott weight days and we put him on the wing.I hope that is just a filler until Pulju grows up or off-season pickups since I don’t see many trades with term happening this year

Don’t worry, after Kurri gets a bit more traction we can move Mess to centre behind ….

73. rickithebear says:

Jethro Tull: Cup Finalist = First Loser!

there are 30 teams in the league.
    The goal of an org is to win a championship.
    There are 2 pennats and 1 cup won each year.

1 teams makes a ton of money for the owner and delivers 2 championships for the fans.
    1 teams makes a ton of money for the owner and delivers 1 championship for the fans.
    14 teams makes a ton of money for the owner and delivers zero championship success for the fans.
    14 teams makes zero money for the owner and delivers zero championship success for the fans, but give them a brief hope during the draft lottery!

74. Truth says:

Unless there is a standout second best player on Edmonton they will only ever get one player in the All-Star Game. As mentioned already, there is no need to sell hockey to the Edmonton fan base. The league’s probably already pissed off enough they got McDavid.

I don’t wish ill will towards him, but part of me wants to see the Calder debate out East if Mathews misses an extended period of games. I bet the definition of most proficient would be slightly altered from last season.

75. kinger_OIL says:

Truth,

– Lucic has another gear by the way. He’s had bad puck-luck. His s/h% this year vs career (10% vs 14% career). Drop-off should normalize (so 4 extra goals: I bet he ends up with 25 goals)

76. Jethro Tull says:

rickithebear: Might want to look at Last Championship won by an org to get a true measure of Organizational success.

Might want to get a sense of humour.

77. squeezboks says:

wheatnoil:
    ***** SPAM Alert*****

***** End SPAM*****

I think the off-side thing is pretty important when looking at gap control. On your strong side, it easier to angle the puck carrier to the wall without sacrificing your stick positioning. On your weak side, your stick is on the wall, so its harder to do without sacrificing your stick. Maybe this leads to the bigger gap.

It could also be landmarking. D are taught to line up their outside shoulder with the inside shoulder of the puck carrier one-on-one. On your offside, this might be more challenging since your outside shoulder is also the one controlling your stick and if you go for the pokecheck and miss you will get turnstiled wide.

78. jonrmcleod says:

Putting aside the 40 games issue with Puljujarvi….

I sometimes hear some weeping and wailing about Puljujarvi’s status as a prospect. Let’s not forget that some people were panicking about Draisaitl during his first season. He’s doing OK now.

Draisaitl 37GP / 2G / 7A
    Puljujarvi 28GP / 1G / 7A

I’m betting that JP will be OK. Right now, to me he looks all arms and legs…probably in part due to the fact he’s a big kid adjusting to playing in a faster league.

79. ashley says:

Despite the tremendous efforts to frame him otherwise, Larsson sure looks like a 1D from the numbers. At the very least we can say that’s how McClellan is using him.

80. Bag of Pucks says:

Eberle – 1G in his last 21GPs with a S% of 2.4%

Not sure what the offseason shooter tutor was working on with Ebs, but this player has clearly lost all confidence and that’s a horrible situation to be in for a guy’s who largely paid for goal production.

What’s the solution? Going back to his old stick? Going to the paint more? Voodoo?

Has TMac succeeded in taking ‘cheating for offense’ out of Jordan’s game at the expense of all offense?

Weird feeling for me. I actually feel sorry for this player now….

81. marchmentsknee says:

ashley,

McL may be using Larsson as a one D and the numbers could back it up by a fraction. Do you think he’s really an ideal 1D?

82. Bruce Wayne says:

ashley:
    Despite the tremendous efforts to frame him otherwise, Larsson sure looks like a 1D from the numbers.At the very least we can say that’s how McClellan is using him.

The numbers used in this article do not support this conclusion at all. Indeed, this quote is textbook example of attempting to frame an issue.

83. Steve4 says:

I’ve been looking t the contract situations for a few teams heading into 2017/18.

Pitt is gonna have $18 mil to retain Bonino, Schultz, Sheary, etc. They’re also likely to shed Fleury’s contract, opening a further $5.75 mil. Holy Crap they’re in a good position!!!!!

The Caps are gonna have $23ish mil to retain Alzner, Burakosky, Kuznetsov, Orlov, Oshie, etc. By my estimation that’s somewhere around 5 + 2.5 + 6 + 5 + 5 + etc = 23.5 + etc. Perhaps they let Oshie walk? Brett Connolly is someone interesting. They’re playing him on their top line now, maybe he clicks with Ovi and Backstrom and prices himself beyond their budget, or maybe he continues to be mediocre. Either way, Chiarelli traded two seconds for him a couple years ago, so he obviously liked him then, and may still want him.

NYR will have $13 mil to resign Zibanejad, etc. No worries there. I think there’s some justification to expose the final year of Nash to LVK, which would open up plenty of extra space for other maneuvers.

NYI will have $10 mil to retain de Hann, sign a goalie, etc. The Isles will have a lot of good players exposed to LV. Maybe there is a deal to be made… Perhaps an ineligible-for-expansion player and a pick for a forward (Strome, Nelson) Edmonton can fit in the 7-3-1? There’s probably a better deal for them with another team though.

84. Chachi says:

Bruce Wayne: The numbers used in this article do not support this conclusion at all.Indeed, this quote is textbook example of attempting to frame an issue.

The issue escaped from prison and is currently searching for the one-armed man who killed its wife.

85. Truth says:

jonrmcleod:
    Putting aside the 40 games issue with Puljujarvi….

Draisaitl 37GP / 2G / 7A
    Puljujarvi 28GP / 1G / 7A

I’ve definitely been vocal about JP’s mishandling this season. I don’t think he’s “ruined” as a prospect however. I would argue himself and the team would be further ahead if he was sent down after 9 games though. He would have a lot more playing experience this season and would probably have a lot more confidence. He was looking pretty good during training camp.

Somewhat unrelated, but one thing I do believe is that Dubois has regressed as a prospect. His stats this season compared to last are underwhelming, as was his goal-less performance at the WJC. I realize the Oilers say they were going to take Sergachev if JP didn’t fall to them, but I’m still happy that he did.

86. Professor Q says:

Truth:
    Unless there is a standout second best player on Edmonton they will only ever get one player in the All-Star Game.As mentioned already, there is no need to sell hockey to the Edmonton fan base.The league’s probably already pissed off enough they got McDavid.

Werenski plays in the East…

87. frjohnk says:

jonrmcleod:
    Putting aside the 40 games issue with Puljujarvi….

Draisaitl 37GP / 2G / 7A
    Puljujarvi 28GP / 1G / 7A

JP http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=152117 is compared with Laine http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=221667 but Laine has a world class shot while we have not seen much of JP’s shot. I dont think JP’s shot has scratched the surface yet.

3 other big Fins drafted recently could be in the conversation.

JP is definitely a step above from Joel Armia http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=40624

but I would say he is below from Sasha Barkov http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=50044

I think a player to compare his production moving ahead for the rest of the year is Mikko Rantanen http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=91186
    Rantanen scored 28 points in 56 games in the SM-liiga in his draft year
    JP scored 28 points in 50 games in the SM-liiga in his draft year

Last year in his draft +1 year, Rantanen played 9 games in the NHL and scored 0 points.
    60 points in 52 games in the AHL last year. This year he has 18 points in 34 games with the Avs.

If JP can put up a point a game in the AHL the rest of the year, he could in the ballpark of Rantanen’s production

88. Professor Q says:

Truth,

Or Tkatchuk…

89. Doug McLachlan says:

jonrmcleod,

Agreed. JP will be just fine.

Given his youth and language challenges, I’m super impressed with him to be honest. For a kid his age he seems to have no issues with what to do on the defensive side of the puck – which seems so natural for him that we almost don’t seem to give him credit for it. The offense will come and we may even see it again later this season/playoffs.

We got a good one here. The issue is how best to develop him. I get that the on-ice development is what we are all looking for but

Not sure if the @KurtLeavins article in the Journal has yet been discussed but I think his take on why keep JP here as long as they did. The question is why not send him down for game 39 as opposed to 40? Fair point but, again, I suspect that they see him back with the big club before April and that this was part of the plan as soon as he crossed the pond.

90. wheatnoil says:

squeezboks: I think the off-side thing is pretty important when looking at gap control. On your strong side, it easier to angle the puck carrier to the wall without sacrificing your stick positioning.On your weak side, your stick is on the wall, so its harder to do without sacrificing your stick.Maybe this leads to the bigger gap.

It could also be landmarking.D are taught to line up their outside shoulder with the inside shoulder of the puck carrier one-on-one.On your offside, this might be more challenging since your outside shoulder is also the one controlling your stick and if you go for the pokecheck and miss you will get turnstiled wide.

Interesting points both. They both make some intuitive sense to me.

91. rickithebear says:

marchmentsknee:
    ashley,

1. Dmen Defend
    2. then they try to transition the puck quickly to
    a.the 294 (top 9.8/team) forwards that are Equal to or better than the top 5 (in League) Off Dmen at generating EVP.
    b.the 322 (top 10.7/team) forwards that are Equal to or better than the top 5 (in league) Off Dmen at generating EVG.

Ask yourself if a dman is abandoning there Off responsibility to try and generate offence at even?

92. Truth says:

Professor Q,

Sorry, I should have just said Center of the Universe.

93. frjohnk says:

ashley:

Only Larsson and Klefbom are the only D who have played 41 games, so the total time ice does not tell the whole story.
    TOI/G even strength

Andrej Sekera 2.4
    Matthew Benning 0.7
    Kris Russell 0.5
    Adam Larsson 0.2
    Darnell Nurse 0.1
    Eric Gryba 0.0

Sekera and Klefbom are Mclellans go to guys for Dmen on the PP. I wouldnt mind seeing Benning getting more time on the PP.

Here is the Average Time On Ice Per Game For PK
    Kris Russell 2.4
    Andrej Sekera 2.1
    Oscar Klefbom 1.8
    Darnell Nurse 1.7
    Adam Larsson 1.7
    Eric Gryba 1.7
    Matthew Benning 0.5
    Russell and Sekera are Mclellans go to guys on the PK with Nurse, Gryba, Klefbom and Larsson playing about the same amount per game.

If we look at TOI/G all situations we get

Andrej Sekera 21.75
    Kris Russell 21.65
    Oscar Klefbom 21.16
    Adam Larsson 20.15

Darnell Nurse 17.75
    Matthew Benning 16.92
    Eric Gryba 16.83

Looking at quality of competition and quality of teammates, the top 4 are all quite close. Dont see us having any top pairing Dmen. Maybe Sekera is one. More like we have 3 2nd pairing Dmen and Russell a 4/5 in this cluster.

The bottom 3 have played 3rd pairing minutes and are properly slotted.

I honestly thought Larsson would be playing around 25 minutes a game,( he played 22:30 last year) on the 1st PK unit with some PP time. I do think there has been a wobble fom him getting used to this system, coming from New Jersey.

94. Professor Q says:

Truth,

Oh, I know. I know exactly how it’ll go. I just wish Werenski would have more applaud in that scenario.

Toronto would probably want Marner to get it in that scenario.

95. Mr. D. says:

What’s the cost per point so far for:
    Eberle
    RNH
    Pouliot
    Lucic(without McD)
    Ouch!

96. stevezie says:

ashley,

That’s not how it looks to me at all. His offence alone disqualifies him.

Bruce Wayne,

to briefly go back to yesterday, today i have seen several seemingly normal people argue that not only do they get what the Oilers are doing with JP, they find it defensible.

So you may be right about the lack of a secret backstory explaining this.

Chachi,

This made me chuckle.

97. hunter1909 says:

Too bad McDavid has to play in that stupid All Star game.

The only thing that would get me to want to watch an All Star game is if the cup champs were forced to take on the cream of 29 teams. With something on the line, like an automatic 1st round playoff bye or something for the cup champions if they win.

As things stand it’s a 11-10 goal a minute no hitting joke. Enjoy the game!

PS: Happy to hear German Beliveau Leon can rest and watch the game on tv.

98. GCW_69 says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    Coming from last thread

You Mr. NYCOil have been on fire lately and I love this setup.

I think Strome is the player to get. The coach in N.Y. has never seemed to embrace him, and he can play C and RW, which fits well for TMac’s blender style coaching. Ran a positive CorsiRel prior to this year. Under control and probably costs less to acquire than Hanzal, with upside. Buy low.

99. Alpine says:

frjohnk,

Holy crap does Russell play a lot.

Whoever said 1971 above (Hunter) is diabolical.

101. frjohnk says:

Alpine:
    frjohnk,

Holy crap does Russell play a lot.

Yup.

And to add to my post from before. I calculated the TOI/G against the elites 5 on 5 for the Dmen.

Player Min/Game against Elites
    Kris Russell 6.9
    Andrej Sekera 6.5
    Adam Larsson 6.2
    Oscar Klefbom 5.4
    Matthew Benning 5.0
    Eric Gryba 4.2
    Darnell Nurse 4.0

102. oscarmike says:

Eberle really needs to stop sniping the puck.
    No matter how close he is to the net he misses

Nuge really needs to stop being so flimsy.
    Its so easy to knock him off the puck.

Oilers won’t make playoffs if Lucic-Nuge-Eberle can’t produce.
    3 Assistant Captains surely can figure it out.

103. rickithebear says:

If you look at the top 60 EVG/60 Dmen (14-15 to 16-17) 1000 EVTOI
    57 are still active:
    8/57 dmen (14.0%) are top 60 EVGA/60 (cup caliber Defence) (#1/2 D)
    Krug BOS
    Kevin Miller BOS
    Scandella MIN
    S. Weber MTL
    Boychuk NYI
    Bortuzzo STL
    Shattenkirk STL
    Stralman TBL

11/57 dmen (19.3%) are above avg EVGA/60 (#61 to 90) (#3 D)
    Colin Miller BOS
    M. Green DET
    Ekblad FLD
    Martinez LAK
    Muzzin LAK
    Dumba MIN
    Spurgeon MIN
    Vlasic SJS
    Pietrangelo STL
    Hedman TBL
    Myers WPG

10/57 dmen (17.5%) are Below avg EVGA/60 (#91 to 120) (#4 D)
    Klinberg DAL

Del Zotto PHI
    Schultz PIT
    Daley PIT
    Burns SJS
    Gardiner TOR
    Byfuglien WPG

84% of the top 60 Dmen do not generate cup caliber EVGA.
    Cause they are yielding defensive responsibility to chase the offense!

104. tsg says:

After perusing the woodmoney numbers briefly for defensmen, the 45% DFF put up by Larsson against elites season to date is not a pretty number. Especially given the rel numbers, and that one of his top five ice time partners against elites is Connor McDavid who would prop up that number significantly. I believe Larsson is a solid middle pairing D (am I starting to question myself on this?), but selling him as a quality top pairing D is just setting him up to disappoint.

105. hunter1909 says:

Whoever said 1971 above (Hunter) is diabolical.

LOL

I’d wager Bruins fans were shooting their cannon sized mouths off after that 121 point season, but writing off any team with Beliveau skating up and down centre ice, Frank Mahovilich added mid-season plus the usual cast of toque wearing on ice maniacs, and of course Ken Dryden is asking for trouble.

People always talk about the 1956-60 5 cups in a row Montreal Canadiens dynasty, but from 1965-73 the Habs won 6 cups. Boston, with an astonishing cast of scoring sensations probably took them too lightly. And only managed 2 cups.

hunter1909: LOL

Bruins were foiled twice big time by Habs during that period, one a Beliveau OT goal that I remember butnot the details (McCurdy remembers the details) and 1971 of course, which ended my childhood.

107. frjohnk says:

It should be interesting to see how the Oilers PP matches up against the Sharks PK.

San Jose has an aggressive PK unit and Oilers with a lack of quick shooters/one timers have struggled against these units.

Last game against the Sharks, Oilers had 5 shots in almost 12 minutes in PP time. League leading teams average about 1 shot per minute on the PP.

I bet they try to put Mark “The Hammer” Letestu in the Ovie spot again to get some shots away on the PP. Or with some movement get McDavid to skate up to the point with the puck and criss cross with Klefbom ( as he goes to the half wall)then set up a one timer from the half wall from Klefbom. Ive noticed this play a couple of times over the last few games.

108. Truth says:

oscarmike:
    Eberle really needs to stop sniping the puck.
    No matter how close he is to the net he misses

Wouldn’t he then need to START sniping the puck?

It’ll turn around for him. He’s 6% below his career SH%.

Nuge. I don’t know about Nuge. I think he’s been asked to be the shut down C on this team and he’s taking that to heart. He needs to know that being the shut down C doesn’t mean he has to shut down his own offense as well. Although he is 4% below his career SH% as well, so he should improve.

109. flea says:

frjohnk,

McDavid has to become a threat to shoot off the sidewall, teams are just cutting off the passing lanes for him. The powerplay has actually been pretty good, and I think if McDavid can cash a few wrist shots from the circle it’ll open right up for them.

110. Professor Q says:

Would anyone perhaps…not know…where one could find someway to watch the Bakersfield game (and/or tonight’s Edmonton game, but that’s easier to find)?

111. JDï™ says:

Professor Q,

This should have links for both:

112. Professor Q says:

flea:
    frjohnk,

Crosby went through this period as well. I remember all the articles about how he’d accrue a lot of assists but wasn’t a shooter, until after his 4th or 5th season where he spent the entire offseason practicing his shot and sniping, and finally changed his stick from a wooden, flat curve to a newer composite stick with more of a curve.

And then he started proving to the NHL that Ovechkin wasn’t the only one who could score.

113. marchmentsknee says:

rickithebear: 1. Dmen Defend
    2. then they try to transition the puck quickly to
    a.the 294 (top 9.8/team) forwardsthat are Equal to or better than the top 5 (in League) Off Dmen at generating EVP.
    b.the 322 (top 10.7/team) forwardsthat are Equal to or better than the top 5 (in league) Off Dmen at generating EVG.

Ricki, to tell you the truth, I’m not really sure what that question means. If you think Larsson is an number one so be it. My opinion is there are only a handful of legit number one defenseman in the league. If you want to trade for one you’ll get robbed. We know you love your defensive Dmen but part of a good defense is a good offense.

Elliotte Friedman 30 Thoughts have no Oilers rumors, I still wonder about the Colorado scouting (reported online) in regard to Rene Bourque. Ryan Spooner being available is also interesting, both are LH. Edmonton may have a usable trade piece in Brandon Davidson, I would try to find a way to keep him.

115. frjohnk says:

Other than the Avs or Yotes, things are pretty quiet, mostly because everybody believes they still have a shot at the playoffs.

I like Davidson and last year, at some times, he was our best Dman ( speaks to how well he played/but also how shitty the D Corpse was) With the emergence of Benning, the potential loss of Davidson either through a trade or the expansion draft will not sting as much.

116. Klima's_Bucket says:

My fear is the Oilers swing and miss getting Iginla out of Colorado and settle on rewriting the wrong of 1995 and end up getting Doan out of the Desert.

Klima’s_Bucket:

I don’t think either man can play here. Edmonton is already slow.

118. Hope is a good thing says:

I always worry about home games on nights like these. Not in a historical record way, nor in a fancy stats way, rather because, before the game, the opposing coach takes his team outside and says “I sure wouldn’t want to live here…” I anticipate the Sharks will come out flying tonight.

119. Centre of attention says:

Remember we didn’t see the Maroon deal coming. Nobody really did.

I feel like when something comes down, we will all be surprised at who / what is involved.

Stauffer keeps mentioning someone under contract.

Colburne has a year left after this one at 2.5MM

121. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy: Stauffer keeps mentioning someone under contract.

Colburne has a year left after this one at 2.5MM

Well we already have one Draisaitl…

Woodguy: Stauffer keeps mentioning someone under contract.

Colburne has a year left after this one at 2.5MM

Didn’t Edmonton try to sign him? I recall a rumor.

123. frjohnk says:

Woodguy: Stauffer keeps mentioning someone under contract.

Colburne has a year left after this one at 2.5MM

4 points in 31 games.

Maroon was a disappointment for Anaheim last year ( 13 points in 56 games, playing half the time in the top 6) but not as bad as Colbourne. Maroons cost was a 4th and a low level prospect.

One could probably get Colbourne cheap, but who knows if it would be worth it.

wheatnoil: Well we already have one Draisaitl…

Heh. Two Leons might upset the space time continuum.

125. frjohnk says:

wheatnoil: Well we already have one Draisaitl…

Comparing Draisaitl to Colbourne is like comparing Bure to Afinigenov. You know that but Im sure a certain friend doesnt 🙂

126. Centre of attention says:

Sportsnet Stats ‏@SNstats 7m7 minutes ago
    #Oilers are 0-for-17 on the power play in their last 9 meetings with the Sharks.

Hmmmm, this probably needs to change.

127. frjohnk says:

Centre of attention:
    Sportsnet Stats ‏@SNstats7m7 minutes ago

Hmmmm, this probably needs to change.

Like I said before, Oilers need to find a way to beat an aggressive PK.

128. Centre of attention says:

frjohnk,

If the Oilers can figure out the power play tonight they will have a good chance of winning.

The Oilers are 14-2-3 when they score a PPG.

McJesus take the wheel! Haha.

129. LadiesloveSmid says:

Centre of attention:
    Sportsnet Stats ‏@SNstats7m7 minutes ago

Hmmmm, this probably needs to change.

this tells me the oilers average less than 2 PPs a game against them, WTF?

130. LadiesloveSmid says:

Woodguy: Stauffer keeps mentioning someone under contract.

Colburne has a year left after this one at 2.5MM

think the beef between Lucic and Weise is too strong?

wheatnoil: Well we already have one Draisaitl…

Ha!

I gave DSF the gears over that a couple days ago

LadiesloveSmid: think the beef between Lucic and Weise is too strong?

I think they go younger.

133. hunter1909 says:

Someone gets a hat trick tonight.

7-2 Oilers.

134. Centre of attention says:

hunter1909:
    Someone gets a hat trick tonight.

7-2 Oilers.

I like the optimism.

If anyone is due for a bunch of goals its Eberle. He’s had some insane chances the last few weeks that somehow have not went in.

He’s historically been good against the Sharks *knocks on wood* so maybe he has a big night?

135. oscarmike says:

Mcdavid- a Generational player
    Draisaitle- a German Generational player
    Puljujarvi- Fin Generational player
    Eberle – beer league generational player
    Drake-NCAA generational player
    Bear- Native Canadian Generational player

👊 Fist bump.

136. LadiesloveSmid says:

Woodguy: I think they go younger.

does TB have to protect their 4 D with NMCs/NTCs? have some nice wingers

I agree with many in thinking Davidson’s on his way out of town maybe with a pick in hand, for a scoring winger.

137. Professor Q says:

Let’s get ready to rumble!

138. LadiesloveSmid says:

hunter1909:
    Someone gets a hat trick tonight.

7-2 Oilers.

the Kevin Quinn jinx right here, 7-2 loss coming

139. Professor Q says:

Wait. I’m an hour early, aren’t I?

140. oscarmike says:

Look here comes the San Jose Swans

Professor Q:
    Wait. I’m an hour early, aren’t I?

Nope.

142. Professor Q says:

oscarmike:
    Mcdavid- a Generational player
    Draisaitle- a German Generational player
    Puljujarvi- Fin Generational player
    Eberle – beer league generational player
    Drake-NCAA generational player
    Bear- Native Canadian Generational player

Fist bump.

Don’t forget Jones… Here’s hoping he becomes better than his brother…

1-0 Sharks. Oil had a nice start until that moment.

144. square_wheels says:

There’s a big ol steamer to start the game

145. LadiesloveSmid says:

Well that’s a….start

146. jake70 says:

Jesus I wish this team would go off script once in a while and not get scored on so early in each game it seems. Always chasing.

147. Pretendergast says:

Is anybody in this building? It’s silent.

This hasn’t happened alot has it?

148. Centre of attention says:

Silly reach on Thorton but guys do that to McDavid all the time with no call.

149. square_wheels says:

4 mins in and this is the game on the first PK.

150. hunter1909 says:

Prior to tonight’s game, Gene Principe was behaving like he’s addicted to some wild Katz and his buddies only drug but Principe’s got himself hooked and now must gtfo.

Anyone who thinks Gene Principe needs to be fired immediately, along with Drew Remada and Kevin Quinn press:

#sacked

Talbot was excellent there, but how on earth did San Jose not score there? Lordy.

152. Professor Q says:

Apparently that’s an illegal play when McDavid does it.

153. adamjames says:

Seeing as its the Sharks in town, Remenda is bound to be insufferable. I think we’ll throw a little Tom Waits on the turntable and let him do play by play.

Ps. 4 goals for Boedker this season. Brutal signing. Never understood the hype in free agency

154. oscarmike says:

Wow how stupid is Todd. He just had the Mcd line out then he puts
    Letestus line out for the defensive face off. Mcd line was out for 20seconds

155. hunter1909 says:

We could try to guess how many Shark shots end up goals with “The Monster” in net, lol.

156. square_wheels says:

2 and 83 need to stay together the rest of the year, great pairing.

157. --hudson-- says:

frjohnk: 4 points in 31 games.

Maroon was a disappointment for Anaheim last year ( 13 points in 56 games, playing half the time in the top 6) but not as bad as Colbourne.Maroons cost was a 4th and a low level prospect.

One could probably get Colbourne cheap, but who knows if it would be worth it.

I think Colbourne had a hat trick in the first game of the season too. Very poor year for him so far

158. hunter1909 says:

Kassian for the Gordie Howe Hat Trick.

159. hunter1909 says:

square_wheels:
    2 and 83 need to stay together the rest of the year, great pairing.

I agree.

One thing: I haven’t seen Hemsky playing recently. Do you think they’re saving him for the playoffs?

160. npanciroli says:

Lucky to have a chance to stay in it.

161. square_wheels says:

oscarmike,

He gets schooled far too often in match-ups. He’s bull-headed, like somehow the Oilers are going to out savvy a Sharks team with that much experience.

Don’t like him or his staff, think Chia needs to aim higher.

162. square_wheels says:

Nuge only took 3 slashes on that play, no big deal.

163. Professor Q says:

square_wheels,

I do wonder though. Would Babcock have really been that much better?

164. npanciroli says:

Oilers getting worked.

Oilers easily the second best team on the ice this period.

166. LadiesloveSmid says:

When Eberle’s on a stretch of shooting 1.something%, he’s a damn hard player to watch and root for.

167. Pretendergast says:

Russell-Larsson, that was weak end to end

168. square_wheels says:

hunter1909,

Would love to see a RW with those wheels on 97’s right side. I miss Hemmer, hell of a player.

169. Professor Q says:

#7 seemed really hurt by Letestu’s shot.

170. hunter1909 says:

Oilers easily the second best team on the ice this period.

They’re feeling out the Sharks.

If the Sharks don’t keep the score down, we might be treated to an Oilers-led goon fest later on in the game, lol.

171. LadiesloveSmid says:

npanciroli:
    Oilers getting worked.

seemingly on a 2 games on, 2 games off of giving a shit

172. npanciroli says:

We might not score one today.

173. square_wheels says:

At some point is there a serious concern with Davidson even getting the games required to be exposed in the expansion draft, doesn’t he require XX games on the roster to be eligible ?

174. Professor Q says:

The Sharks are just too fast and too strong.

Somehow the Oilers need to get even better at that.

175. jake70 says:

Weak Looch, just weak.

176. hunter1909 says:

Oilers doing fine. They’re only down by 1 goal in the first period.

Sharks are forced to play their “A” game tonight.

177. GMB3 says:

How many more years of Lucic?

178. hunter1909 says:

At this point of the Oilers development as an NHL hockey team…

179. GMB3 says:

Slepy > Hendricks

180. npanciroli says:

Klefbom Larsson needs to happy. Atleast then Russell Gryba can play easier limited minutes.

181. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Seeing Gryba very slowwwwwwwww tonight.

182. GMB3 says:

npanciroli:

183. JDï™ says:

Oilers easily the second best team on the ice this period.

And lucky that there’s only two teams on the ice.

184. hunter1909 says:

I expect this game will get greasy in a hurry.

185. jake70 says:

GMB3: Agreed. Grybas slow boots are very evident with this type of puck pressure. They are a tier ahead of Edmonton.. We should take notes

Not many players gliding is there for SJ, always moving their feet.

186. npanciroli says:

YESSSS

187. Centre of attention says:

The Drake!

188. square_wheels says:

There is always 5 white jerseys in the danger zone in front of their net, no clean chances vs the Sharks.

Admire their zone exits, they SUPPORT THE FUCKING DMAN and give them outlets.

As opposed to fleeing the zone and hanging out behind the neutral zone forwards ala The TMAC

Woot Cags 2.0

189. GMB3 says:

Poo has a bit of jump tonight. Thought he’s looked better last two games

190. Ryan says:

Drake bitches!

square_wheels:

Rule is i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

So, Davidson would need to play 10 more games this season. Will not matter, of course, Mark Fayne qualifies. Davidson will also be eligible for selection no matter how many games he plays, unless Edmonton protects him.

192. GMB3 says:

Sike

193. hunter1909 says:

Oilers look like their puck is magnetized.

1-1

194. npanciroli says:

Pouliot looks to have his speed back today and last game. Wonder if injury this year?

195. square_wheels says:

Pouliot sighting, alert alert

Caggiula scored.

197. hunter1909 says:

A humiliating goal, like Ali’s giving Foreman a right hand lead.

198. hunter1909 says:

Caggiula scored.

Sharks won’t be joking around on their bench tonight.

199. Centre of attention says:

Nice to see the refs giving the home team a fair shake.

200. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Nice to Thornton can call his own penalties.

Newer Comments »