G44 2016-17: DEVILS AT OILERS

My Dad was a pumper for Husky, and he had a big route. He drove a 1965 GMC three-quarter ton, had chains, shovels, oil spilled everywhere, work clothes (Mom wouldn’t let him inside, he had strip down to his underwear, even in winter) and all the tools man ever made.

On Saturdays, he would let me go with him. That meant getting up early, he would have breakfast and a coffee but I could never eat that early. Dad (I think, this was a long time ago) had about 20 pumps he had to monitor, all of them routine—except one famous (in our house) pump.

The one spot Dad never took me to was that famous one. There was a pump in an isolated area called Pikes Peak. He worked like a bugger to make sure that motor ran like a charm, because getting there—especially in winter—was a pretty dangerous trip. There was an old dirt road in and out, or rather up (straight up!) and down, and he always talked about it.

For my brother and I, it became such a curio that, in time, we begged him to take us. He always said no, but then one time, for some reason (my Mom might have been gone away for a week or something), he took us. It was a winter Saturday, cold and early, he packed the truck and we headed up to Pikes Peak. I remember when we reached the top of the hill, looking down and thinking this would be how it all ended. WHY would my Dad do THIS for a living????? He put that old GMC in gear, it rumbled low and Dad drove it slowly, expertly, down the steep hill and to the landing and that obscure pump. It took either two minutes or 20 hours, depending on which family member you talked to at the time.

Once there, my brother and I played, played some more, and then waited. Young people today have no idea how much waiting kids did in the 1960s and 1970s. You waited, found something that amused you, did something stupid (Over the years, I chipped a tooth, lost an eyelash, got bit by something, put a nail through my foot—and I was the less brave of the two boys!) and waited some more.

After what seemed like years, Dad called it was time to go, and I ran with joy to that big red truck. Dad started it, turned it around, put it in low gear—and then my eyes met the real danger of Pikes Peak. In winter, at Pikes Peak, you kind of have to get out of there, best in daylight, because there isn’t anything around for miles and miles. It has probably changed by now, but at this point on planet earth, there was a pump, a truck, two brave men and me—shaking like a leaf on a tree.

I willed that truck to keep moving with everything I had, every part of me wanted that damnable hill to level off so I could vomit until death. If going down the hill took two minutes, going up surely lasted 20. The first time I went up that hill with my Dad was 45 years ago, and I remember everything about it—the engine, my Dad’s stern look, my own fear, and especially the moment when we finally leveled off and we began to talk and laugh and plan the rest of the evening.

After 10 years of missing the playoffs, I think the Oilers might be about to climb that hill. Look, we have had some times this year, but so far all we have accomplished is the preamble. Pikes Peak starts now. You make damned good and sure you are ready for this climb, because if the Oilers can’t reach the summit, well, Pikes Peak gets dark early and it’s cold all the time. Are you ready for this?

BIG ROCK CANDY MOUNTAIN, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0, goal differential -7
  • Oilers in October 2016: 7-2-0, goal differential +10
  • Oilers in November 2015: 4-7-2, goal differential -6
  • Oilers in November 2016: 5-8-2 goal differential -3
  • Oilers in December 2015: 7-6-1, goal differential -9
  • Oilers in December 2016: 7-2-5, goal differential +3
  • Oilers in January 2016: 4-5-2, goal differential -5
  • Oilers in January 2017: 2-3-0, goal differential -4
  • Oilers after 43, 2015-16: 17-23-3, goal differential -25
  • Oilers after 43, 2016-17: 21-15-7, goal differential +6

The Oilers lost G44 in overtime to the Arizona Coyotes on year ago. Edmonton was up 2-0 and 3-1 but the PK was crap that night and blah blah blah. In recent days this season, the Oilers have been giving up quite a few goals each night, so the goal differential is no longer handsome.

DEFENSE SCORING 2016-17

The Oilers are improved in defensive scoring, as the graph shows at the bottom. Goals are up markedly, the club is on track to score 36 goals by defenders if this pace is maintained. A great deal of improvement, and with Klefbom, Benning and Nurse capable of helping, perhaps we will see more of these kinds of offensive spikes year over year.

Last year, Sekera led the Oilers (81, 6-24-30) and finished in a tie for No. 50 overall among defenders. This is going to be a better season for the blue, if everyone stays healthy. Encouraged by Oscar Klefbom and Matt Benning, who can both move the puck well. Now, this.

I like the fact Davidson is back, and pairing him with Larsson could be a stroke of genius. Klefbom with Benning is also interesting, and the Sekera pairing we have seen for about 400 minutes this season. I hope this works, because from here it looks like this could be fantastic if Sekera can move that possession number with Russell closer to 50 percent.

FORWARDS SCORING 2016-17

• Connor McDavid is so good it is crazy, that lottery win will change the course of Edmonton sports history. Man. Thank you NHL for being so damned honest. X’s and O’s until I die.
  • The big challenge for Edmonton is finding a way to get six of these forwards inside the top 100—RNH pulls up the tail end of that group at No. 130.
  • Why top 100? Every NHL team should have three men inside the top 90 forwards in scoring, all things being equal. If the Oilers can cram two lines inside the top 100? I think that is about the best this team can do, failing a concerted effort to gather three scoring lines. That may happen, but not this year.
  • The Oilers need to add an offensive winger, preferably a RH shooter. Hell, maybe it is Anton Slepyshev.

PREDICTIONS

There is anger and rage this morning, as the San Jose Sharks turned into the Oakland Seals overnight and now the Godless Flames are nipping at Edmonton’s heels. I had Edmonton finishing fifth in the division (ahead of Arizona and Vancouver) this year—in fact, let me run my numbers from August:

THE 2016-17 OILERS (RE)

• Final projected record: 82GP, 38-36-8 84PTS
  • GF-GA: 226-226
  • Goal Differential: 0
  • Finish: No. 5 in the Pacific Division, No. 10 in the Western Conference, No. 21 overall
  • All-Star Team: Connor McDavid
  • Traded by deadline: Matt Hendricks, Jonas Gustavsson
  • Source

Now, let’s run the current actual factual:

• Current record: 43GP, 21-15-7 49PTS (projects to 40-29-13 93PTS)
  • GF-GA: 121-115
  • Goal Differential: +6
  • Finish: No. 3 in the Pacific Division, No. 5 in the Western Conference, No. 10 overall
  • All-Star Team: Connor McDavid
  • Traded by deadline: Nail Yakupov

The Oilers are tracking nine points ahead of my projection, and that is a fine number. However, and we established this at the beginning today, we are just now beginning the climb up Pikes Peak. Last night’s win by Calgary doesn’t matter, but only if the Oilers win tonight! That’s the answer, that’s the nut, all down the line. Are you ready for this?

Photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved

BRANDON DAVIDSON FOR RYAN SPOONER

I have written about this before, but had another thought. My stated preference is to protect 4-4-1, like this:

• Goal—Cam Talbot
  • Defense—Andrej Sekera, Oscar Klefbom, Adam Larsson, Brandon Davidson
  • Forwards—Leon Draisaitl, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle, Milan Lucic
  • Ineligible—Connor McDavid, Darnell Nurse, Matt Benning, Drake Caggiula, Anton Slepyshev

That is my list. Now, many people are worried about leaving Patrick Maroon unprotected, and he certainly has played well. Is he more than Brett Callighen? Is he this generation’s Stan Weir? Either way, if the Oilers feel a need to protect him, then dealing Brandon Davidson for a forward might work. It adds a protected forward, and allows Edmonton to add two other forwards:

• Goal—Cam Talbot
  • Defense—Andrej Sekera, Oscar Klefbom, Adam Larsson
  • Forwards—Leon Draisaitl, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle, Milan Lucic, Patrick Maroon, Ryan Spooner, Jujhar Khaira

I would protect Brandon Davidson, and try to make a deal with George McPhee, but we both know Maroon is going to be on the stay list if he hits 20 goals—and that seems certain. Dealing Davidson for a Ryan Spooner—I am using him as an example, you may have a finer choice—makes a certain amount of sense.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Today on the show, we have a range of topics and top drawer guests. At 10 this morning, TSN 1260, scheduled to appear:

• Darcy McLeod, Because Oilers. The gift of Benning, offense from the defense, getting another consistent scoring line behind 97.
  • Eric Fawcett, PressBasketball. Raptors up and down but remain a strong contender, Canadian NCAA basketball players having an impact.
  • Rob Soria, The Hockey Writers. Tim Raines about to make baseball’s Hall? Plus, Taylor Hall returns to Edmonton.
  • Frank Seravalli, TSN. The Oilers may be buyers at the deadline, will Peter Chiarelli borrow from the future in order to give this team a push?

HOW TO ACT WITH TAYLOR HALL IN TOWN

Traditionally, we cheer for returning warriors at the beginning of the game, and then boo when they do something that hurts the town team. I will not be there tonight, but if I was, would cheer like hell during any official thank you, cheer like hell during the player introductions, and then settle in as always and boo Hall if he does something to impact the game. That is fair game.

I am not your father, but allow me one moment of your time. If you plan on booing Hall for sins real or imagined during his time as an Oiler, or some story your buddy told you about that time one time at that place one time, then you should know I am not with you. Booing Taylor Hall as sport is beneath you, and is a reflection of your character and you alone. I do not stand with you now, or ever. Know this, too: I am not alone.

ABOUT ANTON LANDER

I think the lesson of the 2009 draft (at least the first two rounds) is that one failing—if it fails enough—can derail a prospect on the way to NHL success. In the first round, Edmonton chose Magnus Paajarvi, and his lack of offense ate a giant hole in his clear skills and attributes. So too Anton Lander, who brings all kinds of positives, but also feet of clay.

I am always fascinated by people who make calls on men like Paajarvi and Lander, as if they have some kind of crystal ball that allows the future to be known only to them. Both were well regarded prospects at one time, both have found it impossible to gain regular NHL employment. That alone means there is a disconnect between original promise and actual deployment during their primes.

We can suggest that Todd McLellan doesn’t see what Todd Nelson saw, and maybe there is a lot of truth in saying it. However, coach McLellan isn’t so overrun with forward talent that he could afford to pass over an obvious talent. I think Anton Lander may be a tweener, like Marc Pouliot and Colin McDonald and so many kids drafted by Edmonton from 1995-2010. I still cheer for him, though. Hope he makes it.

471 Responses to "G44 2016-17: DEVILS AT OILERS"

« Older Comments
  1. marchmentsknee says:

StixMalone:
    Sweet Jeebus can you imagine if we could get some secondary scoring?….

Seriously, I know you analytic guys talk about ice time being cut down for RNH and Eberle but watching them with open ice in OT and they still show zero offensive creativity. They don’t seperate anymore.

2. Scungilli says:

StixMalone:
    Sweet Jeebus can you imagine if we could get some secondary scoring?….

I’m thinking imagine of they could get some primary scoring. Nuge Pou Ebs were looking close!

3. treevojo says:

Offside:
    Maroon > Hall

That may be a stretch but………

Drai > Hall

I have no doubt

4. Scungilli says:

Offside:
    Maroon > Hall

Right now yup

5. flyfish1168 says:

We need to play much better to beat the ugly phlegms.

6. treevojo says:

How many games does hall get?

1?

2?

3?

How many games would kassian get if roles were reversed?

5?

6?

7?

7. B S says:

Zelepukin,

Passing lanes were open, no pressure at the point. The team was in good position on that play. As soon as Russell pulls out the other team can set up in the neutral zone. If Russell was getting pressured, or nothing was available, I would support the move, in fact I wish the Oilers would do it more often when there’s nothing available, but I don’t see how it warranted a compliment. For the record I liked Russell this game (some games not so much, but this was a good one), and enjoy watching the player almost every game. I just don’t like seeing a player cede Ozone time, when most of the Oiler’s overtime mistakes this season seem to be turnovers in the neutral zone.

8. Rebilled says:

Deserved win after those last two games.

9. gogliano says:

47/126 goals (37%) have come from that top line. Pou – RNH – Eberle ($16 million cap hit) has 21 goals among them. I like the idea of the line but they really could use a big night.

10. Rebilled says:

treevojo,

Hall might get 1 game. Tops.

11. Diablo says:

Russell made the right play there in OT, wasn’t in good position to maintain possession – instead of panicking, he calmly reset things.

Just a terrible change by Henrique – the kind of thing the Oilers used to do.

Glad we got the win. Saw both Slepy and Khaira good tonight.
    Marron is McDavid’s Kunitz. Draisaitl is never coming off that line – going to need to get another centre – would help if RNH would stop playing on the perimeter – got to go to the hard areas to score (or draw a penalty).

Oilers outplayed the Devils tonight and found a way to get a win.

12. Derek says:

flyfish1168:
    We need to play much better to beat the ugly phlegms.

I’m not so sure about that.

All the 5×5 numbers where heavily in favor of Edmonton (%)
    CF – 62.9
    FF – 68.3
    SF – 64.1
    SCF – 70.4 !!!!!!!!
    HDSC – 68.7

Score effects probably play into this a bit but you don’t see one team out chance the other by a 31 to 13 margin when both teams are rested very often.

The only reason the Devils where in this game was the Ginger minding their net.

13. Dicky94 says:

treevojo

It was pretty much a butt end the more you look at it. Which is dirtier than an elbow in my books. Hall won’t get nothing. Kassian might get a new tooth.

14. Suntory Hanzo says:

Holy Shit!!

I actually heard a question from a reporter!

Thank the maker!

15. gogliano says:

Derek: I’m not so sure about that.

All the 5×5 numbers where heavily in favor of Edmonton (%)
    CF – 62.9
    FF – 68.3
    SF – 64.1
    SCF – 70.4 !!!!!!!!
    HDSC – 68.7

The only reason the Devils where in this game was the Ginger minding their net.

Yeah, a lot of the frustration was optics and good goalering on the other side. If Eberle puts that puck in instead of hitting the post the feel of the game swings pretty drastically. It was a deserved 2 points.

16. Suntory Hanzo says:

And did Tmac just mic drop and leave? Or is it because of the cough? Seemed odd.

17. Acumen says:

Did anyone else see Pou-Nuge-Ebs really good tonight? It would be amazing for this team if they could just get back to normal.

18. Offside says:

treevojo: That may be a stretch but………

Drai > Hall

I have no doubt

Obviously small sample size but I’d say Maroon is doing better in Oiler silks right now than Hall would be. It’s something to remember when evaluating Chia – especially in light of “the trade”

19. Centre of attention says:

Earlier, I missed the Hall play where he caught Kassian in the face. My bad.

Was distracted watching the game. In and out of living room. Came back to see Kassian chase Hall across the ice.

apologize for foul language.

20. treevojo says:

Rebilled:
    treevojo,

Hall might get 1 game. Tops.

Your probably right.

Good thing kassian has a cranium on him like a bowling ball

Kassian does that to Hall and he drops with a concussion we would be talking mcsorley suspension.

21. Side says:

Derek: I’m not so sure about that.

All the 5×5 numbers where heavily in favor of Edmonton (%)
    CF – 62.9
    FF – 68.3
    SF – 64.1
    SCF – 70.4 !!!!!!!!
    HDSC – 68.7

The only reason the Devils where in this game was the Ginger minding their net.

I watched the game, came back here to read the comments and there’s a lot of dramatic people in this thread. The Oilers played very well. NJ is lucky the Oilers have some seriously snakebit players *cough Eberle* and Schneider was in net.

Whoever was complaining about the lines, I honestly have no clue what you were complaining about. All the lines were rolling well, imo.

22. Rondo says:

Acumen,

They played perhaps the worst team in the NHL missing their top 2 D-men with one of the best goalies in the NHL.

23. Zelepukin says:

B S:
    Zelepukin,

No. Go watch it again.

There was no passing lane worth taking the risk on. Their defending was right in front of him and blocking the pass.

There is no neutral zone setup because this is 3 on 3 and we retained possession.

24. treevojo says:

Centre of attention:
    Earlier, I missed the Hall play where he caught Kassian in the face. My bad.

I didn’t see it until the replay.

I am pretty sure mongoloid and anything related to that in a thesaurus is poo pood by the host of this blog though

25. ashley says:

ashley: Larsson Davidson will be the first pairing tonight based on minutes and QoC.

Klefbom-Benning the third.

Book that!

I was way off on this. WAY off.

ashley: I was way off on this.WAY off.

In fairness to you, we (I) keep forgetting Davidson is not close to mid-season form.

27. fifthcartel says:

ashley,

Definitely thought the same as you.

Sekera
    Klefbom
    Russell
    Benning
    Larsson
    Davidson

was the TOI for tonight, I think they like Benning, which is good cause I like Benning, but I wasn’t sure if they liked Benning as much as they should, because they should, and I really like Benning.

28. treevojo says:

Zelepukin: No. Go watch it again.

This

To add to that when you have players that are better with a little bit of space and on the rush why not stretch the zone.

Ebs and nuge like their space

29. B S says:

Acumen,

I though they were good, but I’m usually less upset by them than many here. They don’t usually give up much and they saw off against most of the best of the other team. I will say that it’s frustrating seeing their chances not go in. I wouldn’t be trading them anytime soon. This team team is going to need secondary scoring and I wouldn’t be betting on Nuge and Ebs career lows.

30. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Derek: I’m not so sure about that.

All the 5×5 numbers where heavily in favor of Edmonton (%)
    CF – 62.9
    FF – 68.3
    SF – 64.1
    SCF – 70.4 !!!!!!!!
    HDSC – 68.7

The only reason the Devils where in this game was the Ginger minding their net.

Have you looked at Chad Johnson’s numbers? He’s no Elliot.

31. hunter1909 says:

I just realized I have forgotten about Yakupov. It’s like he never existed.

What’s wrong with Eberle? I hope he plays well in the playoffs.

Poor Hall. Reduced to cheap attention grabbing stuff with Kassian of all people. He was a very good Oiler, never played badly, always tried hard, endured Dallas (Fr)eakins, etc.

Hall just wants to come back. Make it happen, Chiarelli!

32. hunter1909 says:

Eberle and RNH probably think if they play like shite, the coach will be fired.

No idea how they learned that kind of thinking, lol.

33. Klima's_Bucket says:

hunter1909: Hall just wants to come back. Make it happen, Chiarelli!

Do you think Larsson is enough to pry him out of Jersey?

34. russ99 says:

hunter1909:
    Eberle and RNH probably think if they play like shite, the coach will be fired.

No idea how they learned that kind of thinking, lol.

If Ebs can pot a few, I think the floodgates may open up.

35. treevojo says:

Klima’s_Bucket: Do you think Larsson is enough to pry him out of Jersey?

Oilers wouldn’t make that trade.

Larsson is an established rhd now.

You probably only need an up and comer like benning to make it happen.

I heard a rumour he is a Calder candidate.

36. treevojo says:

russ99: I really don’t think that’s the case, more like Todd has challenged them to step up and lead as veterans, and it’s the first time they’ve had to earn it. Tough sledding, when you’ve been gifted a spot for years regardless of good or poor play.

If Ebs can pot a few, I think the floodgates may open up.

Let them open on Saturday night against the assholes in the south.

37. Pescador says:

ashley: I was way off on this.WAY off.

No sweat, nobody booked it.
    The team does have some secondary scoring, it’s just coming from the D, which is a welcome change to say the least.

38. Chachi says:

If Hall gets a suspension it will be 1 game and it will be against the Flames tomorrow, because of course it will. Really disappointing play by him.

39. Pescador says:

treevojo: No.

Oilers wouldn’t make that trade.

Larsson is an established rhd now.

You probably only need an up and comer like benning to make it happen.

I heard a rumour he is a Calder candidate.

There must be a team award for the best rookie. I am content

40. Bag of Pucks says:

Remember when Hall and Kassian won the Memorial Cup together? No? Yeah, neither do they.

41. Pescador says:

treevojo:
    Time for Connor to put this team on his shoulders and will 2 pts out of this game.

That’s a nice call before the 3rd

42. treevojo says:

Bag of Pucks:
    Remember when Hall and Kassian won the Memorial Cup together? Yeah, neither do they.

I am guessing Taylor received a thank you text from The hobbit tonight.

43. Bling says:

McDavid 1st in scoring, Draisaitl tied for 15th, Maroon tied for 13th in goals.

That’ll do!

Very impressed with Khaira tonight. He is definitely faster. Created one golden opportunity for Kassian and almost cashed one himself. Slepyshev was also a handful. Both of those guys add a lot to the 3rd/4th lines.

Pouliot/Nuge/Eberle will start putting up numbers soon. They looked good.

44. LadiesloveSmid says:

Klima’s_Bucket: Do you think Larsson is enough to pry him out of Jersey?

45. treevojo says:

LadiesloveSmid: dunno who in their right mind trades a 2nd pairing D for an elite play driving winger

2nd pairing?

Larsson is 1 of 14 dmen in the NHL to play over 750 mins at even strength this year.

46. delooper says:

treevojo: No.

Oilers wouldn’t make that trade.

Larsson is an established rhd now.

You probably only need an up and comer like benning to make it happen.

I heard a rumour he is a Calder candidate.

Might be able to pry him loose with Kassian.

47. treevojo says:

delooper: Might be able to pry him loose with Kassian.

Kassian seems to know how to make Hall loose it!

48. treevojo says:

LadiesloveSmid,

We did lose out on 8 even strength points with the trade.

Hall 15pts 5 on 5

Larsson 7pts 5 on 5

It’s too bad Larsson didn’t bring anything other then offense to the team.

49. LadiesloveSmid says:

tied in the bottom 70 in the league among regular D with Girardi/Phaneuf at 2.62 xGA/60, I’m not sure Larsson’s the defensive stalwart he was supposed to be. On pace for 15 points as well.

has been good in recent games

50. stevezie says:

Georges,

While i will remain critical of the trade, i do expect Larsson to improve as he becomes more familiar with his new team, much as Sekera did.

I like him. Just think Hall is better.

I have enjoyed your work on the difficulty separating defenceman.

51. kgo says:

The concept of “currency” with the officials was on display tonight….we all remember how the refs HATE Taylor Hall, well that factor was confirmed tonight with the outcome of Kassian’s 2 min penalty…should have been 4 for Kassian and 5 for Hall.

Kassian and Lucic are earning tons of currency with the refs this year, Kassian may have spent all of his tonight…but refs know who the hotheads are, know who has a short fuse…and when those guys keep it together K-I-T, -K-I-T…..I think they earn currency and a bit of leniency with the refs….

52. MrEd says:

We have a pretty good back end.

53. OF17 says:

MrEd:
    We have a pretty good back end.

Agreed. For the first time in forever, I don’t feel like we *have* to make a move on D. Going into next year with the same 7-8 guys wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.

54. spoiler says:

If the Flames beat the Devs and pull within a point, I expect Saturday’s tilt to be vicious.

55. Professor Q says:

Bag of Pucks:

56. GMB3 says:

Professor Q: Don’t forget about Henrique (he’s the one that pulled Kassian off of Hall, too).

57. Ryan says:

StixMalone:
    Sweet Jeebus can you imagine if we could get some secondary scoring?….

Yeah.

While I predicted a big down tick for the Nuge, what are the odds that all three of them have forgotten how to produce offense this year?

Imagine if we had 14-15 versions of those three and a real 3rd line centre…

And a backup goalie… and a Faulk or Barrie…

58. Professor Q says:

GMB3: He kind of has to protect his teammates. Taylor Hall did his best Sean Avery impression, yet posters here will still defend the golden child. Its the turtling that bothers me. Classless

As I was responding to someone facetiously (you know, in a cheeky way) postulating that Hall and Kassian have forgotten about those times.

59. flyfish1168 says:

Derek: I’m not so sure about that.

All the 5×5 numbers where heavily in favor of Edmonton (%)
    CF – 62.9
    FF – 68.3
    SF – 64.1
    SCF – 70.4 !!!!!!!!
    HDSC – 68.7

The only reason the Devils where in this game was the Ginger minding their net.

Those numbers you are looking at is against a shitty devils team and miss leading. This is why if you don’t understand how to interpret stats it is dangerous. the phelgms are not a Shitty team. Phelgms like it or not has been one of the better teams from November on. There Dfense is still better then ours and I believe johnson is = or >; than Talbot.

60. treevojo says:

LadiesloveSmid:

has been good in recent games

5 on 5

Adam Larsson

GF60 2.29

GA60 2.37

Taylor Hall

GF60 1.94

GA60 2.30

Maybe Hall isn’t the out scorer you claim he is.

Cherry picking stats is fun.

61. treevojo says:

flyfish1168: Those numbers you are looking at is against a shitty devils team and miss leading. This is why if you don’t understand how to interpret stats it is dangerous. the phelgms are not a Shitty team.Phelgms like it or not has been one of the better teams from November on. There Dfense is still better then ours and I believe johnson is = or >; than Talbot.

I would not trade our defence for theirs.

I sure as hell would not trade Talbot for Johnson.

Edm vs Cal

2-0

12-7

The flames are a shit team with shit fans.

62. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

flyfish1168,

Its been four games in a row now where they have run up the stats like that (score effects a tad helpful against the Sharks). You’re right the Flames aren’t as bad as New Jersey but they aren’t exactly great either. Should be a spirited affair on Saturday night, a smart coach would start Elliot tonight and then rebound with Johnson on Saturday.

More to come after the morning post hits the web!

63. frjohnk says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    flyfish1168,

More to come after the morning post hits the web!

Flames lack in depth.

3 very good Dman, then a huge drop off.

A good top 6/7 forwards, then a drop off.

64. flea says:

GMB3,

Kassian also suckered Hall – he didn’t see it coming. It goes both ways.

65. treevojo says:

flea:
    GMB3,

Kassian also suckered Hall – he didn’t see it coming. It goes both ways.

You might want to watch it again. He knew exactly what was coming. He was just trying to get the hell out of there.

66. frjohnk says:

Id like to know what Kassian said to Hall, something set Hall off to throw the elbow.

The issue I have is that Kassian needs to learn to control his anger.

He has cost us one game, and in another he took a bunch of penalties, the other team scored on the PP with under a minute left, but good thing we had a 2 goal lead.

I figured for sure there was going to be a more penalties for him with the Hall incident. Which would not have been good in the 3rd, down by 1 goal.

67. treevojo says:

frjohnk:

The issue I have is that Kassian needs to learn to control his anger.

I figured for sure there was going to be a more penalties for him with the Hall incident.Which would not have been good in the 3rd, down by 1 goal.

You don’t take a blatant cheap shot like that and control your anger.

I think mclellans post game comments on the incident and reaction by kassian will verify that.

68. frjohnk says:

treevojo: You don’t take a blatant cheap shot like that and control your anger.

Kassian was given a gift by the refs.

He could have gotten 2 + 5 and 10 min, if that happens, the game is probably over and we lose the 2 points.

I care about the 2 points, get him back later.

And I should add, Hall got exactly what he deserved from Kassian

69. GMB3 says:

Professor Q: You fail to understand my point, which was that Henrique was also a Spitfire during the Cup runs, akin to both Hall and Kassian. I was identifying that yet another former teammate was involved in that scrum.

Sorry I didn’t mean to completely direct that to you. It was late, my girlfriend was snoring and sleeping on my one arm. Meant to split the first sentence from the rest of it.

70. GMB3 says:

treevojo: You don’t take a blatant cheap shot like that and control your anger.

Agreed 100%. Look at kassians face. Tough to get angry at a teammate for responding in such a way

71. GMB3 says:

flea:
    GMB3,

Kassian also suckered Hall – he didn’t see it coming. It goes both ways.

I think if Kassian actually gets an opportunity to get a hold of Taylor Hall he isn’t standing at the end of it. Hall brought Kassian to his knees

« Older Comments