UPDATING THE LEFTORIUM

On the day he took over the Edmonton Oilers, Peter Chiarelli’s depth chart boasted 16 defenders. Of those 16 men, an incredible 88 percent (14 of 16) were lefties. The only righties (Justin Schultz and Mark Fayne) were not part of his solution, but the general manager has been able to make some progress with balance over the last two seasons.

CURRENT LEFTORIUM

Edmonton’s 50-man list now contains 18 names, 13 of whom (72 percent) are lefties. That is a little misleading as LTIR Ference and two slide rules skew the pro numbers. If we shake out those players, we arrive at 11 of 15 (73 percent) are righthanded. At the NHL level, four of seven (57 percent) are currently lefties, but four of six (67 percent) start the lion’s share of the games.

WHAT IS ON THE WAY?

• Ethan Bear is signed and we should see him in Bakersfield this fall. His WHL season (42gp, 13-24-37) is a success and his shot from the point should get him some extra playing time as a pro.
  • John Marino is adjusting very well to NCAA hockey at Harvard. He is 19gp, 1-5-6 currently and appears to be playing a prominent role on the team. Probably some distance from turning pro, but a nice trend.
  • Filip Berglund is 32gp, 0-5-5 with Skelleftea (SHL) and is averaging just over nine minutes a night. He will turn 20 in May, and I suspect he will play one more year in Sweden.
  • Vincent Desharnais is 18gp, 2-0-2 with Providence (NCAA) and it is anyone’s guess about how his career trajectory goes from here.

WHAT COULD BE ON THE WAY

Makar is No. 13 on Button’s list, so there is every chance he will be long gone by the time Edmonton drafts at No. 23 overall or thereabouts. However, if Makar fell to Edmonton, and turns out to be anything similar to above, the Oilers might be looking at a very strong blue line a couple of years down the line:

• Klefbom—Larsson
  • Sekera—Benning
  • Nurse—Makar

That could be a terrific six, and the price tag might not be overwhelming. Nurse’s next deal might be a concern, but three of the top four are signed for some time and Benning shouldn’t break the bank. By the time we reach the fall of 2018 or 2019, we might see this alignment. Talented crew.

Of course, maybe they go out and trade for Kevin Shattenkirk tomorrow.

90 Responses to "UPDATING THE LEFTORIUM"

1. Barcs says:

Interesting tweet by Stauffer today. In response to who he thinks the Oilers should add:

“Oilers are still in “growth” mode, but to me Tyson Barrie would be a great fit for the Oilers “D”. Legit right-shot PP QB, competitive 5v5″ https://t.co/M2TUlRZPQy

I’m worried it might be Klefbom going the other way if it happens.

If PC can build a deal around Davidson+, do it. Unlikely, imo.

Woodguy, have you done a write up on Barrie?

I think you touched on him in your D-man search articles from last year, but you’ve mentioned you’ve cooled on him since.

2. Barcs says:

Speaking of the Leftorium, Reinhart for Lazar?

Barcs:
    Speaking of the Leftorium, Reinhart for Lazar?

4. LadiesloveSmid says:

Took a whirl at the expansion tool on CapFriendly. Really hard to project without knowing the deadline deals that will go down, and with the draft looming I’m thinking it’ll be a big one, and who re-signs etc.

Minnesota will lose a quality player.

FLA will expose one of Pysyk/Petrovic. The oil should grab one. Craig Smith might be expansion fodder as well, would love love him in Edmonton. Don’t think ANA’s trading Silfverberg (though I think he’ll be exposed), but another division rival Vancouver has an interesting player in Hansen imo. RW with a big right shot.

Does OTT expose Bobby Ryan in favour of Dzingel? With their internal cap?

5. stush18 says:

Lowetide: I am not down on Reinhart as many others are, but would do that deal. Freely admit to being a fan of both players, but (once again) culling the LH herd and getting a RH C who can play wing (and has similar pedigree/success resume) seems a reasonable move.

I think even now with his whole year being in the minors, that is an overpayment. And even then, I don’t think Ottawa is ready to move on from him.

Imo he could be a pisani

6. Klima's_Bucket says:

I just talked to my Senators buddy who is thrilled with the Zack Smith contract.
    Am I out of line with thinking the contract isn’t great?

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Am I out of line with thinking the contract isn’t great?

8. speeds says:

Lowetide: To my eye Smith is worth the contract for sure, maybe more. But I am not an analytics expert.

You think the Oilers look at it with respect to Maroon?

9. Pescador says:

Pescador:
    hey Lowetide or anyone, question about these types of prospects like Cale Makar; if they are playing as a 17-18 year old in a secondary league like the AJHL or BCJHL then are drafted in the 1st round or any round for that matter, would/could this player then move on to a higher league like the WHL?Also, i thought i read a draft post of yours in the past that mentioned the Oilers drafting record and your desire for them to steer clear of these types of lower leagues when drafting players. or did i just make this up? thx

11. Klima's_Bucket says:

The reason I ask is twofold.
    I’m wondering if this means it’s more likely Lazar shakes loose since the 3C spot is locked in.
    Unless Lazar continues to see time on the Wing.

And

I’m wondering if Zack Smith gets that kind of money and term, then what can a guy like Maroon pull in?

speeds: You think the Oilers look at it with respect to Maroon?

I think they would love to, not certain a four-year deal is a good idea and wonder what all these goals are going to do to his price. A 30-goal season is dangerous for Edmonton. What about you? Four years and $13M for Maroon work for you?

13. fifthcartel says:

The Smith contract doesn’t seem bad, but doesn’t seem great either. He’s on pace for 40+ points this year, but otherwise he’s never had more than 1 season above 30.

Also Vatanen is a healthy scratch but he wasn’t very good last game apparently.

Klima’s_Bucket:
    The reason I ask is twofold.
    Unless Lazar continues to see time on the Wing.

And

Leafs v. Calgary is one of the few times a year I cheer for Toronto. Feels like 1968!

16. LadiesloveSmid says:

Aside from being an oil king, don’t see any value in Lazar. He scores less than Gryba and is a poor possession player. Inifinite better options out there. Maybe Seth Griffith can make it to the oilers on waivers next time.

17. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Barcs:

I’m worried it might be Klefbom going the other way if it happens.

If PC can build a deal around Davidson+, do it. Unlikely, imo.

Woodguy, have you done a write up on Barrie?

Yes and Yes.

Here’s my write up on him: http://becauseoilers.blogspot.ca/2016/05/oiler-right-shot-dman-search-2-tyson.html

I’ve cooled because I think he’s under-performed a bit and in looking at his numbers again, he gives up way, way too much for what he creates.

He also fared poorly (relative to team mates) vs the Elite Forwards once we had WoodMoney working (wasn’t when I wrote the piece)

Poor bastard is over his head in COL playing the toughs with Tyutin now, so I wouldn’t even try to analyze this year’s numbers.

2-0 Leafs and now Gaudreau takes a hit to the chin (I believe) for Komarov. No call. Flames are pissed. this could be a turning point in the CGY season, one way or another.

19. LadiesloveSmid says:

Leafs v. Calgary is one of the few times a year Icheer for Toronto. Feels like 1968!

Another Calgary game with big playoff implications.

Via sportsclubstats, a regulation loss would bring them down to about 33.9% odds at the playoffs.

20. flyfish1168 says:

lol as I am writing this johnny cocky gets rocked with a big hit. That is what I like to see between two teams I hate. Now for Mathews turn

21. Woodguy v2.0 says:

There was some talk in the last thread about rankings.

For the record, here is Woodguy’s Super Amazing Black Box Power Rankings:

WSH
    S.J
    CBJ These 5 are the elite
    NSH
    MTL

L.A
    MIN
    BOS
    CHI
    TOR These are the good teams
    EDM

T.B
    STL
    PHI

DET
    N.J
    DAL
    WPG These teams are not good. No sir.
    ARI
    COL

22. LadiesloveSmid says:

What was Johnny Hockey doing there? Doesn’t expect the hit at all, not sure it was a headshot like all of flames nation believes

I read the Benning interview from Gregor on ON, Benning asks Kassian if he can show him some fighting tips and Kassian says something along the lines of you’re not going to have to fight. I like that about this season.

23. Jethro Tull says:

LadiesloveSmid,

Benning has fought though, hasn’t he?

Pull your finger out, Kass, show him some moves!

Rakell with No. 20. He signed at Christmas I think. Lordy.

Looked it up. November 1. Still, Rakell is having a helluva year.

26. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0,

I would think that the Avs would want to add to that d corpse and not subtract. It’s Johnson Barrie, weekend at Bernies version of beauchemin, remnants of Tyutin and bunch of scraps

27. Bruce McCurdy says:

Not every night I root for the Leafs but this is one of them. 3-0 over the Flames after 2 periods.

Sample Kelly Hrudey commentary: “I kept a close eye on Matthew Tkachuk between shifts and I was really impressed with his hydration. Notice how he takes two squirts from the water bottle, swallows, takes another squirt and swishes it around in his mouth before spitting it out. He just looks like a pro with every move that he makes.”

Ok, I made all of that up, but it’s not much of a stretch. I bet Hrudey has made 20 comments about Tkachuk to this point.

28. Bruce McCurdy says:

I hadn’t read this comment when I scribbled the above, but yes, we are on the same wavelength & I’ll bet we’ve got company.

29. Professor Q says:

Lowetide: Oh sure, you bet. Most have committed to NCAA teams, UMass-Amherst in the case of Makar. Jujhar Khaira went to the WHL after playing at Michigan Tech, Tyler Pitlick same. Happens quite a bit. Caleb Jones went from USNDTP in the USHL to WHL, as an example.

I never really understood what the USNDTP actually is.

Do they just have a bunch of the best young U. S. players who are projected to be invited to the U. S. National Team and play them against each other, like Über Practice Sorties for an extended period of time?

Would Canada develop something like this or is the CHL too big of a draw?

30. Bruce McCurdy says:

If it were my team I’d rather have a coach with bad hair & good goaltending than the other way round. But it’s not my team so leave things the way they are.

(Been there, done that)

31. Woodguy v2.0 says:

leadfarmer:
    Woodguy v2.0,

I would think that the Avs would want to add to that d corpse and not subtract.It’s Johnson Barrie,weekend at Bernies version of beauchemin, remnants of Tyutin and bunch of scraps

You would think.

MacT traded Petry for peanuts when he was the only Actual Top 4 NHL Dman on the roster, so never say never.

32. Professor Q says:

Bruce McCurdy:

You’ve got to be kidding me. That’s almost worse than Pierre McGuire with Crosby and Kessel.

33. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Rakell with No. 20. He signed at Christmas I think. Lordy.

Remember when we talked about Hall for Lindholm + Rakell last year and people freaked out? Yeah, sorry, never mind. Ha ha.

34. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Woodguy v2.0: You would think.

Not saying Avs’ management is brilliant by any means, but with Roy not involved I have less confidence in fleecing them.

The other thing about putting your best players, bar Mackinnon on the market and saying you are listening is that at least teams bid against each other. The old Oilers way was to just let the assets diminish in value then dump them for a pick.

35. stush18 says:

Lowetide: Well I don’t see them as terribly similar. Smith is a center, works the PK, and although he can’t carry a line with Tom Pyatt on it, he plays a pretty good complementary game. He has a nice range of skills.

My grandpa and I used to watch him play in swift when he was captain there.

Hardest working player on the ice by a mile, every game. And he was already stronger than everyone. Worked out with him once and he was the most fit person I had ever met, at that point in my life anyways. Very approachable too, super nice.

Also, Travis moen was from down in that country, Stewart valley I think. He used to get up at five in the morning, drive to swift current in the morning, swim for and hour, drive back and help out on the farm all day, an then drive back to swift. They had this skating treadmill you could use in town, and the most you could last was about a min before your form gave out.

So while I was catching my breath on the side, Travis would be skating. We’d switch, and instead of resting he picked up a set of weights. Lifted weights until I was done, and hopped on without resting. Then we all had ice time at the rink and he would do different drills. He would get home around midnight when everything was done, and back up again at five the next morning. No skating on weekends, just farming.

Grandpa used to tell me farmers made the best hockey players, cuz they knew how to work. Now I get it lol

36. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Woodguy v2.0,

is that ranking in order or just grouped by tier? Pittsburgh? You have two elite centres and you can be a good team that can offset so-so fancystats.

37. Bruce McCurdy says:

LadiesloveSmid:

If you’re 5’10 & you are going to stand around the boards admiring your pass on Leo Komarov’s shift, maybe your awareness of the game is not quite so elite as Kelly Hrudey says it is.

38. Pescador says:

Bruce McCurdy:

(Been there, done that)

How about a team who’s coach has decent hair along with good to great goal tending who currently sit 9 points up on the Cgy Flames?

39. Pescador says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    There was some talk in the last thread about rankings.

For the record, here is Woodguy’s Super Amazing Black Box Power Rankings:

WSH
    S.J
    CBJThese 5 are the elite
    NSH
    MTL

L.A
    MIN
    BOS
    CHI
    TORThese are the good teams
    EDM

You have TOR above EDM.
    Me thinks these rankings are only Amazing rather than Super Amazing.
    Black Box? I must know

40. Pescador says:

Shultz Nikitin
    Barrie Tyutin

41. Woodguy v2.0 says:

NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker":
    Woodguy v2.0,

Not particularly grouped inside of the groupings, my instrument isn’t that sharp.

PIT’s goalering is slipping again.

If they had a good goalie after their first Cup they would have won 5 by now.

42. flyfish1168 says:

Our favorite phelgm slew foots Marincin at the end of the game. He will get a taste of his own medicine soon,

43. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Gotcha. Makes sense now we know it is not a ranking within tiers, just a ranking of tiers.

44. Pescador says:

Gulutzan & Gaudreau;
    Gulutzan post game:
    “Like to amend my previous statement, Saturday was humiliating tonight was embarrassing”

45. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Just saw Christian Fischer, 19 years old has his second goal in as many games since being recalled by the Coyotes.

Seen him play a bunch in the AHL and this guy can play. He has skill, speed, size. I know Jaxon seems to be a fan of Kyle Wood, but Wood, in my opinion, is not good enough of a skater to be much more beyond a bottom-pair NHLer who can help a power play.

Fischer is a winger, but he is one to watch, I think. Was a 2nd rounder in 2015.

46. frjohnk says:

Pescador:
    Gulutzan & Gaudreau;
    Gulutzan post game:

Elliot had a .893 save % heading into tonights game.
    4 goals on 28 shots tonight.
    He is now is Gustavsson territory which is below replacement.

If their goaltending does not straighten out soon, the Flames season is toast.

47. kgo says:

Bruce McCurdy:

Funniest thing I’ve read here in a while

48. Dicky94 says:

Come on Jets! Help the Oil.

49. Chachi says:

flyfish1168:

50. Jaxon says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

Ouch, I’m standing right here. I can hear you.

PS I just responded to your Wood comment on the previous blog. Haha.

51. frjohnk says:

While not a sure thing, many are now expecting playoffs for the Oilers.

We are not the only Can team that could be thinking playoffs.

Montreal is a lock.

Ottawa has 55 points in 45 games
    Toronto has 53 points in 45 games.

Those 2 Ontario teams are in a spot right now, but still lots of track left.

1 of Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg will fight with LA and Dallas for the last spot in the West.

Could have 5 Canadian teams in the playoffs this year. ( probably ends up just being 3)
    Better than last year.

52. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Jaxon: Ouch, I’m standing right here. I can hear you.

PS I just responded to your Wood comment on the previous blog. Haha.

Cool. I don’t believe I insulted you in any way, did I?

53. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Jaxon,

I don’t see your reply in the previous post?

54. meanashell11 says:

Professor Q: I never really understood what the USNDTP actually is.

Would Canada develop something like this or is the CHL too big of a draw?

I have a couple of friends whose sons have played for the development team. Basically they are a set team that plays the higher end high school and college teams. It is basically the basis of the WJ U-18 and U-20 teams. Pretty good training program.

55. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Fischer is another USNDTP product

56. Professor Q says:

frjohnk,

So you’re saying EDM – MON for the Cup Finals, eh?

57. Professor Q says:

meanashell11,

That sounds fairly interesting. What a way to do it, indeed.

58. Jaxon says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Cool. I don’t believe I insulted you in any way, did I?

No, not at all. Strange you don’t see it. I’ll double check. Ahhh. It says my comment is awaiting moderation. I’ve never seen that before. Maybe it was too long. I don’t think I swore or anything. Hopefully it is approved soon.

59. frjohnk says:

Professor Q:
    frjohnk,

So you’re saying EDM – MON for the Cup Finals, eh?

You heard it here first!!!!!

60. Scungilli says:

LT a question from the last post please – why is Trouba not available? The Jets have more top 4 RD than roster spots and a lot of salary tied up there.

The same RFA pattern has emerged with the agents clients, trades done. The lower RFA contracts to me support being moved.

61. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Jaxon: No, not at all.Strange you don’t see it. I’ll double check. Ahhh. It says my comment is awaiting moderation. I’ve never seen that before. Maybe it was too long. I don’t think I swore or anything. Hopefully it is approved soon.

does it have a bunch of links?

Scungilli:

63. JimmyV1965 says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    There was some talk in the last thread about rankings.

For the record, here is Woodguy’s Super Amazing Black Box Power Rankings:

T.B
    STL
    PHI

DET
    N.J
    DAL
    WPG These teams are not good.No sir.
    ARI
    COL

I think the Pens are elite.

64. JimmyV1965 says:

Bruce McCurdy:

LOL. I frickin loved that!!! Almost as much as I can’t stand Hrudey. I’ll take Remenda any day.

65. JimmyV1965 says:

flyfish1168:

Or in Hrudey’s words, he pushed him.

66. Scungilli says:

Lowetide: Well, he could be, but he is not obviously available, as he appeared to be earlier.

For sure, if anything is happening it’s behind the scenes now.

67. Professor Q says:

flyfish1168:

Did he jump on his head afterwards?

68. oilersfan says:

With all the talk about Hanzal I wonder what you all would think of the oilers acquiring Brian Boyle?

It seems to me the best way to get Nuge going offensively is to stop giving him the toughest minutes. Boyle is a proven tough minutes two way player who excels at it along with penalty killing. He even scores 10-20 goals a year.

He just turned 32, has tons of playoff experience, and with Tampa bay in 27th place Will likely be available for that extra third round pick we have.

Thoughts?

69. rickithebear says:

The primary role of a dman at even is to defend the high danger area were goals go in 5 times more than perimeter shots.

When discussing a dman,s offence, it must be compared to all players offence.
    The natural system structure dems forwards best suited to attack high danger area.
    To get in that area dmen have to abandon the free path to the net.

So lets look at benning!
    1st/2nd/3rd comp
    Top 30 hd sh /60 dman
    Top 35 1.88 evga/60
    .88 evp/60
    .58 eva/60
    #15 dman in league 8.22 ppgf/60
    #3 dman in league 2.82 PKGA/60

Benning is one of the few d top 60 evp/60 and top 60 hd defence.

Barrie usually has been in the bottom 20 hd dmen.
    The dmen who cost you playoffs by themselves.
    Barrie 3.38 evga/60
    There are no players who can outscore his defence.
    In fact the team is .41 evgf/60 short of the wild card standard when he plays.

Barrie 1.16 evp/60 #297/601 players. #19 dman.
    #10 forward (4th line scoring) for the worst defence in the game.

Idiotic at an extreme level.

70. JimmyV1965 says:

rickithebear:

When discussing a dman,s offence, it must be compared to all players offence.
    To get in that area dmen have to abandon the free path to the net.

So lets look at benning!
    1st/2nd/3rd comp
    Top 30 hd sh /60 dman
    Top 35 1.88 evga/60
    .88 evp/60
    .58 eva/60
    #15 dman in league 8.22 ppgf/60
    #3 dman in league 2.82 PKGA/60

Benning is one of the few d top 60 evp/60 and top 60 hd defence.

Barrie usually has been in the bottom 20 hd dmen.
    The dmen who cost you playoffs by themselves.
    Barrie 3.38 evga/60
    There are no players who can outscore his defence.
    In fact the team is .41 evgf/60 short of the wild card standard when he plays.

Barrie 1.16 evp/60 #297/601 players. #19 dman.
    #10 forward (4th line scoring) for the worst defence in the game.

Idiotic at an extreme level.

I think the team and his d partners would impact this as well. As with Schultz, I expect his numbers would improve on a better team.

71. Scungilli says:

rickithebear

Great you are posting again.

I want to tell people to
    @##%)*(&(&(*) 3

and
    )(*(&&)

and
    %^&*(%(14838634

Everyday.

I find they are not responsive to my strong language or strong thought. It doesn’t help the sender at all. Or LT or the conversation.

Be pure brother!

72. rickithebear says:

frjohnk: Elliot had a .893 save % heading into tonights game.
    4 goals on 28 shots tonight.
    He is now is Gustavsson territory which is below replacement.

If their goaltending does not straighten out soon, the Flames season is toast.

You might want to chart the shots on giordano and hamilton,s side.

Avg high danger shot goes in 5 times more than the average perimeter shot.

Take ((hd shots faced x 5) + (ld shots x 1))/goals allowed.

The average used to be 19.5 ld sh and 10 .5 hd shots = 72 as an average game.

72/1 = 72
    72/1.5 = 48.7
    72/2 = 36
    72/2.5 = 29
    72/3 = 24
    72/3.5 = 20.6
    72/4 = 18

You can establish a ga performance.

An ott goalie earlier this year faced a hd- ld totaling 142 and gave up 4 goals.
    142/4 = 35.5. Equivalent to (((36-35.5)/7) x .5) + 2.00 = 2.03 ga game.

Elliot has not been as bad as you think!

Last year Giordano single handedly cost a career top 12 hd save goalie his nhl career.

He is at it again!

73. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pescador: You have TOR above EDM.
    Me thinks these rankings are only Amazing rather than Super Amazing.
    Black Box? I must know

EDM and TOR are in the same tier

The ordering in the groups is not relevant

74. rickithebear says:

JimmyV1965: I think the team and his d partners would impact this as well.As with Schultz, I expect his numbers would improve on a better team.

Have you watched schultz in pit.
    Less wander.

75. Woodguy v2.0 says:

rickithebear: You might want to chart the shots on giordano and hamilton,s side.

Avg high danger shot goes in 5 times more than the average perimeter shot.

Take ((hd shots faced x 5) + (ld shots x 1))/goals allowed.

The average used to be 19.5 ld sh and 10 .5 hd shots = 72 as an average game.

72/1 = 72
    72/1.5 = 48.7
    72/2 = 36
    72/2.5 = 29
    72/3 = 24
    72/3.5 = 20.6
    72/4 = 18

You can establish a ga performance.

142/4 = 35.5. Equivalent to (((36-35.5)/7) x .5) + 2.00 = 2.03 ga game.

Elliot has not been as bad as you think!

He is at it again!

Dear Mr. The Bear,

Where are getting your data?

Manually charting it from shot charts?

í have learned not to dismiss your observations.

76. Woodguy v2.0 says:

JimmyV1965: I think the Pens are elite.

I think my green onion cakes were too salty

77. rickithebear says:

Scungilli:
    rickithebear

Great you are posting again.

I want to tell people to
    @##%)*(&(&(*) 3

and
    )(*(&&)

and
    %^&*(%(14838634

Everyday.

I find they are not responsive to my strong language or strong thought.It doesn’t help the sender at all. Or LT or the conversation.

Be pure brother!

Being diagnosed with high functioning autism.
    My bluntness got me excluded from atco town halls.
    The diagnosis presented hr with a problem.
    My bluntness was never inacurate.
    I am now in a position of being punished for telling the truth.
    Employee seperatoons in the past usually net 2 million from Atco.

My boss who had been punched by corporate in the past just submitted a pdr that corporates weak technical abities were covered by me. And as a result have caused an extensive back log in my normal daily work.
    Corporate politics is funny.

Making excuses for barries play on his side of the net.
    Is the sad state of our current world.

78. JDï™ says:

flyfish1168:

You can’t do that kind of shit (to a Leaf) and get away with it!

Honestly, this upsets me more, and I doubt it does anything to deter the fucking rat.

John Shannon Verified account
    ‏@JSportsnet

Not sure what the result will be, but league is looking at Matthew Tkachuk slewfoot on Marincin at end of game

79. rickithebear says:

Woodguy v2.0: Dear Mr. The Bear,

Where are getting your data?

Manually charting it from shot charts?

í have learned not to dismiss your observations.

Yes sir. Manual.

I think you are taking it to the correct level.

The x,y is dictated by corsi.
    You can establish a ratioed affect. For each situation as you have.

But the most valuable charting is eliminating all 0% chance of goal shots.

One side is corsi that results in blocks, misses and closed shots. This side is defensive affect.

The other side is the corsi that results in open hole shots.
    The only ones that can go in.
    They are either saved or goals. Goalie affect.

There is a combined variance like venue affect.
    Goalies variance is binary slotted goalie affect.
    Allgoalies should be equal in movement in net coverage.
    But instability of a teams hd defence and goalie highth are the 2 critical factors in a very minimal affect.

You are establishing the more complex performance measure for each player at there divided comp levels.

Can i say iwill not have errors in my manual data. Nope.

There are clear constructs.
    1. .25-.30 evgf/60 more than dmans evga/60 gets you potential at wild card playoffs.
    You kind of want the best hd sh dmen and hd save % goalie.

2. Dmen have to abandon defence of path to own hd area to chase percieved higher offence.

3. The top dmen do not score much better than #10 forwards. ( 4 th line scoring)
    When have we ever considered # 10 forward level scoring as a diffrence maker.

4. Dmens 1.00 pkga/60 below mean and 1.00 ppgf/60 above mean have the exact same goal dif value.

Problem is dmen with shit evga/60, high evp/60 and ppp/60 are paid big contracts 5.5 – i7.5m
    Willlikely have a worse + goal dif affect than a top hd dman with low evga an top end pkga/ yo that is going to be paid in the 4m range.

80. Melman says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Woodguy 1.0 would have only had 2 categories: contenders and dog shit. I’m still getting used to the kinder gentler Woodguy 2.0

81. Younger Oil says:

Tkachuk has done at least 5 suspension worthy plays since September. On plays away from the puck, that are not hockey plays, done only to injure the opponent.

Fuck that guy. Fuck the league for not stepping in multiple times already.

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, could not be happier that this dirty piece of shit was not drafted by the Oilers. It would honestly be hard to cheer for this team with all the shit that he pulls.

The fact that multiple people, including Oilers fans, like the way he plays absolutely baffles me.

82. Mustard Tiger says:

Woodguy v2.0,

How come you have Buffalo as a good team? Don’t they bleed shots against?

83. Soup Fascist says:

Methinks that at some point soon Mr. Tkachuk is going to mess with the wrong hombre.

While I think it will happen sooner than the next time the Oilers play the Flambes next season, my hope is that the individual handing out justice is one Darnell Nurse.

Nurse has shown he is mean enough to not “ask” Tkachuk to go but merely grab him and grind him into a fine powder. The good news is Tkachuk’s antics are now well known enough that the refs won’t be in too big a hurry to break it up and the NHL will be lenient on Nurse’s actions.

Hockey is a great game, it’s not a nice game. Godspeed, Darnell.

84. delooper says:

50 men having only 18 names… That’s a miracle of some sort. Astronomical statistical anomaly.

85. Woodguy v2.0 says:

JimmyV1965: I think the Pens are elite.

86. bbf_iii says:

Woodguy v2.0: I ran them again, but removed Fluery’s numbers and used Murray’s only and that has them in the Elite category

What are the Oilers’ numbers if you removed Gustavsson and only counted road games?

87. frjohnk says:

Avg high danger shot goes in 5 times more than the average perimeter shot.

Take ((hd shots faced x 5) + (ld shots x 1))/goals allowed.

The average used to be 19.5 ld sh and 10 .5 hd shots = 72 as an average game.

72/1 = 72
    72/1.5 = 48.7
    72/2 = 36
    72/2.5 = 29
    72/3 = 24
    72/3.5 = 20.6
    72/4 = 18

You can establish a ga performance.

142/4 = 35.5. Equivalent to (((36-35.5)/7) x .5) + 2.00 = 2.03 ga game.

Elliot has not been as bad as you think!

He is at it again!

Are you sure about Giordano?

When he is on the ice, Calgary goalies have a .927 save %.
    Giordano has a GA/60 of 1.94.

Those numbers are pretty good.

88. v4ance says:

Flames coach, Gulutzan on the hot seat?

I know Claude Julien currently has the mantle of “Coach most likely to be fired” but these last 3 games must be causing some ulcers in the Flames executive offices. Basically allowing opposing teams to score the first 4 goals in each game isn’t a formula for winning in any league.

As a vet manager, I’m sure Burke will counsel patience going into the all-star break and letting his team reset. If after the break, the team comes out just as flat, Treliving might have to pull the chute on his new hire. There were rumblings in early November after the horrendous start for the Flames but those were quieted as the team clawed it’s way back into the playoff picture in December.

The longer the Flames have their fingernails embedded on the edge of the playoff chase, the longer Gulutzan’s leash but if the team goes in freefall down the standings, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go. Especially if Julien hits the market or if the Flames want to take a run at Gallant to snap him up before the Vegas franchise does.

89. flyfish1168 says:

JDï™: You can’t do that kind of shit (to a Leaf) and get away with it!

John Shannon Verified account
    ‏@JSportsnet

JDï™: You can’t do that kind of shit (to a Leaf) and get away with it!

John Shannon Verified account
    ‏@JSportsnet

Chachi: This was after Bennett tried the same thing in a scrum a few minutes before. Glad the Oilers are done with the Flames or else with their penchant for slew footing people more players than Davidson were going to get hurt.

We can easily say he is now one of the most dirty players in the league. Unable to face a opponent just attacks them from behind. Bennett is not far behind with his boarding and charging calls.

90. frjohnk says:

rickithebear:

When discussing a dman,s offence, it must be compared to all players offence.
    To get in that area dmen have to abandon the free path to the net.

So lets look at benning!
    1st/2nd/3rd comp
    Top 30 hd sh /60 dman
    Top 35 1.88 evga/60
    .88 evp/60
    .58 eva/60
    #15 dman in league 8.22 ppgf/60
    #3 dman in league 2.82 PKGA/60

Benning is one of the few d top 60 evp/60 and top 60 hd defence.

Barrie usually has been in the bottom 20 hd dmen.
    The dmen who cost you playoffs by themselves.
    Barrie 3.38 evga/60
    There are no players who can outscore his defence.
    In fact the team is .41 evgf/60 short of the wild card standard when he plays.

Barrie 1.16 evp/60 #297/601 players. #19 dman.
    #10 forward (4th line scoring) for the worst defence in the game.

Idiotic at an extreme level.

Remember that teams/systems are more impactful on a Dmans HDSCA than the Dman himself.

Just in the last few years

Wild swings in HDSCA when players change teams.

-Jones looked great in Nashville, got lit up in Columbus last year.
    -Larsson was one of the best in Jersey last year, has one of the worst numbers this year.
    -Hamilton in Boston was above average, in Calgary he is in the same area code as Larsson.
    -Yandle in Phoenix was terrible, with the Rangers was above average.
    -Sekera in LA, had very good numbers, last year with the Oilers not so good.

Lots of other D had wild swings in HDSCA when they changed teams.

Also when teams switch coaches, there have been significant changes to individual HDSCA

Pittsburgh Dmen struggled until Sullivan arrived
    -Year before Babcock, Toronto Dmen like Polak, Phanuef and Reilly were at the bottom of the league in HDSCA, Babcock arrives and all these guys are above league average.
    -Year after Babcock, Detroit Dmen are not above average but closer to the bottom of the league.

Barrie will have terrible HDSCA numbers playing on a team that has a rookie coach, a bunch of Dman who should be retired or AHL and depth forwards who are not NHL caliber.

What kind of HDSCA numbers does Barrie have if he plays on Minnestoa, Boston or LA?

Most of those D that play on those teams have good HDSCA. What kind of numbers do those Dman have on the Avs?