FANDANGO

The Bakersfield Condors play in Cedar Park, Texas tonight, against the Texas Stars. For our purposes, this game and all the rest until recall are about Jesse Puljujarvi. Unfair to the other dice rolling around in the cup? Hell yes. This is the way of life.

FORMER CONDORS

The season is half over, and Bakersfield has been sending some true quality on the northern runs. Here are the AHL stats for current Oilers:

• C Anton Lander 16gp, 14-13-27
  • C Jujhar Khaira 24gp, 8-10-18
  • R Anton Slepyshev 9gp, 3-7-10
  • RD Matt Benning 2gp, 1-1-2
  • G Laurent Brossoit 21gp, 2.67 .908

That is some real talent, and when Jesse Puljujarvi is recalled, his name will be added to the roll. Question: Is this a normal group, in terms of quality and potential future?

WHAT DOES HISTORY TELL US?

One of the ways to inform the future is to examine the past. In that way, we can possibly hone in on prospects who are more likely to make the NHL and spend some time there. Right? Does history inform the future when it comes to AHL players? Well…..

The 20-Year Old Regulars

• 99-00: 4 regulars: LW Michel Riesen (29-31-60), C Peter Sarno (10-36-46), LW Jason Chimera (15-13-28) and D Alex Henry (1-0-1).
  • 03-04: 2 regulars: D Doug Lynch (11-25-36), D Jeff Woywitka (4-22-26), and part-time forward C Dan Baum (4-6-10), D Mathieu Roy (0-2-2).
  • 07-08: 2 regulars: LW Slava Trukhno (13-20-33), D Theo Peckham (6-5-11) and part-time forward F Ryan O’Marra (2-7-9).
  • 15-16: 2 regulars: C Kyle Platzer (6-11-17), C Bogdan Yakimov (5-10-15) and early callups Leon Draisaitl (1-1-2) and Darnell Nurse (0-2-2)—along with part-time forward Greg Chase (1-6-7).
  • 16-17: None.

The guys who post good numbers at 20 (Michel Riesen, Doug Lynch) in the AHL should become capable NHL players, but the best NHL player from this group (Chimera) had a fairly pedestrian AHL debut—but he played in 78 games. What derailed Riesen and Lynch? Injuries in the case of Lynch, Riesen should have hit (he had the skill) but the Oilers were not a strong team in terms of converting first-round picks in that era.

Among the 2015-16 regulars, Platzer had some of the things we saw in Jason Chimera, but in year two Chimera spiked offensively in the AHL (54 points in 78 games). Yakimov skipped to Russia, and Chase remains a part-time forward. Draisaitl and Nurse are long gone from the AHL and won’t be back.

The Regulars 21-25

• 99-00: D Chris Hajt(21) (0-8-8), RW Dan Cleary(21) (22-52-74), C Brian Swanson(23) (19-40-59), LW Dan Lacouture(22) (23-17-40), D Brad Norton(24) (5-12-17), D Sergei Yerkovich(25) (2-28-30), D Alex Zhurik(24) (2-16-18), D Ryan Risidore(23) (3-13-16), D Matthieu Descoteaux(22) (5-7-12), D Elias Abrahamsson(22) (1-3-4), D Kevin Bolibruck(22) (1-4-5), G Eric Heffler(23) 3.13 .910, D Alain Nasreddine (24) 1-6-7.
  • 03-04: RW Tony Salmelainen(22) (19-25-44), LW Jani Rita(22) (17-24-41), C Joe Cullen(22) (14-16-30), C Mike Bishai(24) (11-22-33), D Bobby Allen(25) (5-10-15), LW Nate DiCasmirro(25) (17-18-35), C Chad Hinz(24) (11-23-34), C JJ Hunter(23) (12-16-28), RW Sean McAslan(23) (12-15-27), RW Michael Henrich(23) (14-10-24), RW Brad Winchester(22) (13-6-19), G Mike Morrison (24) 2.52 .913.
  • 07-08: C Rob Schremp (21) 20-50-70, C Marc Pouliot (22) 20-22-42, LW Liam Reddox (21) 16-25-41, LW Jean-Francois Jacques (22) 11-14-25, RW Colin McDonald (23) 12-11-23, F Tim Sestito (23) 6-9-15, Stephane Goulet (21) 9-5-14, LW Troy Bodie (22) 7-6-13, D Mathieu Roy (24) 2-8-10, Sebastien Bisaillon (21) 3-7-10, Tyler Spurgeon (21) 1-7-8, D Danny Syvret (22) 2-15-17, C Fredik Johansson (23) 4-1-5, C Jonas Almtorp (24) 2-2-4, D Bryan Young (21) 0-4-4, Jeff Deslauriers (23) 2.91 .911, Devan Dubnyk (21) 2.99, .908.
  • 15-16: C Jujhar Khaira (21) 10-17-27, Anton Slepyshev (21) 13-8-21, Mitch Moroz (21) 5-5-10, Griffin Reinhart (21) 2-8-10, Braden Christoffer (21) 1-4-5, Dillon Simpson (22) 4-16-20, David Musil (22), 3-11-14, Laurent Brossoit (22) 2.66, .920, Joey Laleggia (23) 8-19-27, Jordan Oesterle (23) 4-21-25, Tyler Pitlick (23) 7-14-21.
  • 16-17: C Kyle Platzer (21) 34, 1-4-5; LD Ben Betker (21) 15, 1-2-3; R Greg Chase (21) 24, 1-1-2; C Jujhar Khaira (22) 24, 8-10-18; R Anton Slepyshev (22) 9, 3-7-10; LD Griffin Reinhart (22) 26, 3-6-9; L Mitchell Moroz (22) 17, 1-2-3; RD Matt Benning (22) 2, 1-1-2; L Braden Christoffer (22) 31, 1-1-2; Nick Ellis (22) 15, 2.99 .909; LD David Musil (23) 32, 2-7-9; R Patrick Russell (23) 36, 2-6-8; Dillon Simpson (23) 21, 1-1-2; Laurent Brossoit (23) 21, 2.67 .908; LD Jordan Oesterle (24) 21, 3-12-15; L Joey Laleggia (24) 36, 8-7-15; C Anton Lander (25) 16, 14-13-27.

Some players from the first three teams made the NHL as actual players: Dan Cleary (Bulldogs), Brad Winchester (Roadrunners) and Devan Dubnyk (Falcons) with a few others who could qualify depending on your line in the sand. Is there a Cleary on the Condors team from a year ago? Could that player be Jujhar Khaira? Does he skate well enough? Anton Slepyshev? I worry about the offense.

I think the lesson from the most recent seasons (the Bakersfield years) comes in the form of Matt Benning. If a prospect is going to show himself, it comes quickly—especially someone who is over 20. I think Edmonton has several replacement level options in the AHL (Brossoit, Oesterle, Lander) and it is extremely likely that Griffin Reinhart, Jujhar Khaira and Anton Slepyshev will also be role/fringe players at the NHL level. That may seem drastic, but I think this stuff susses itself out in very short order.

Forced to protect just one player from Las Vegas among this group for the expansion draft, I choose Jujhar Khaira. I think that means he is my choice for the Chimera for this group.

TONIGHT’S LINEUP

3. Matt Benning 38
  4. Griffin Reinhart 37
  5. Anton Slepyshev 34
  6. Jordan Oesterle 23
  7. Jujhar Khaira 18
  8. Laurent Brossoit 7

73 Responses to "FANDANGO"

1. OF17 says:

I agree about Khaira. Big guys who can skate and show consistent progress offensively are easy to project into NHL roles. Chimera is a good example. 0.36/0.69/1.00 P/G progression in the AHL, compared to Khaira’s 0.20/0.55/0.75. Khaira is shy of Chimera. I don’t know where to find average G/g rates for the AHL at different points in time, so those numbers can’t be contextualized. Solid, even offensive progress is common between the two though, and the absolute numbers aren’t miles apart. Khaira seems like a good player to hitch one’s wagon to.

Does Khaira need to clear waivers next year? I can’t remember if he does. If he doesn’t, he’s a real target for Vegas IMO. 30 selections with 23 roster slots. They’ll need to draft some players that they project into AHL roles next season but think have promise. I think Khaira is NHL ready, but if waivers don’t apply, Vegas might be interested as protection against asset loss after final rosters are set.

OF17:

I can say scoring has decreased since Cleary, but will check. Khaira will require waivers in the fall.

Hamilton Bulldogs 1999-00 scored 2.81 and allowed 3.28 (so, 6.09 goals per game). Last year’s Condors scored 3.12 and allowed 3.26 (so, 6.38). I am a filthy liar!

4. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Toronto Roadrunners has to be one of the strangest team names ever. Tucson Roadunners (parent Glendale Coyotes) I can understand. Toronto?

I have gone to 6 home games since I got back from Japan. Getting my live hockey fix as much as I can. Just unfortunate I missed all the Condors’ visits.

But I do get to watch the likes of
    DeAngelo
    Duclair
    Wood
    Fischer
    ——–
    Bigras
    Honka
    Montour

etc.

So there is that. I may be able to contribute if a prospect trade is made at some stage.

5. OF17 says:

Haha funny thing about looking it up! I was all prepared earlier to write a post about how good Sekera was on the PP and found out Klefbom was doing better in almost every metric. Go figure.

Sort of good and bad news with Khaira and waivers. Less appealing to Vegas, but he requires a 23 man roster spot. One of the reasons I think Slep gets moved before July 1st, and probably at the deadline. Cash your chips before they become waiver fodder. And choose those 3-4 fringe roster spots wisely.

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

But I do get to watch the likes of
    DeAngelo
    Duclair
    Wood
    Fischer
    ——–
    Bigras
    Honka
    Montour

etc.

Love it! Share a lot, I am starving for info on these players.

7. OF17 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

What do you think of Honka, Montour, and DeAngelo? They’ve been interests of mine for a while now.

8. CamRent BroBot says:

Hey LT not sure if you’ve seen this but Aidan Muir is back in after his wrist injury tonight. Hopefully he can keep his strong start going.

9. Diablo says:

Nice to see depth being developed at the minor league level.
    All these young guys have made terrific contributions so far – Slepy in particular has really impressed me.

Lots of consternation about Russell today – I don’t think Chia is a dummy – he’s not going to sign him to 4×4 or something dumb like that. Remember how he played hardball with Gryba? I think the same thing happens with Russell. If Russell wants to sign in Edmonton long-term, then he’s going to have to take a haircut for some stability. Maybe someone tosses a crazy offer at him, in which case the organization will wish him luck somewhere else. But all of the verbal we’ve heard about the Oilers indicates that Chia is focused on keeping his cap space free to get Draisaitl, then McDavid signed long-term.

Maroon on the other hand will get paid. He’s been very good of course, but I worry that if he reaches UFA, someone is going to Clarkson him – if that happens, do the Oilers have enough sense to walk away.

Best case scenario that I’m hoping for (cause I really do like the Big Rig) is that he realizes he will never enjoy the game as much anywhere else, as he does in Edmonton as McDavid’s winger, and signs for a reasonable cap hit like 3×4 before reaching UFA, so he can keep playing the ‘Kunitz’ role.

After the way things turned out for him in Anaheim, I hope he doesn’t take his current success for granted.

Great day to an Oilers fan! I was wrong about things before – this team only needs a few tweaks, rather than a blockbuster trade, heading into the playoffs. If Chia gets us someone to play 3C and a backup goalie at the trade deadline, I’ll be satisfied.

10. PhrankLee says:

Nice time to send 36 down. Back to Cali with a goal under his belt.

JP could really benefit from that assignment as well.

The air in here is much cleaner! ha ha

11. OF17 says:

Diablo,

I get the sense that Maroon really likes it here. Little tells, but he’s the closest one to Joey on the team. The Oilers are where he’s had the most success by far. His coach trusts him to play LW with one of the best to ever play the game. The Oilers, both as a team and an organization, have made room for his family life at work by bringing his son into the skills competition. He’s always keen to give between-period interviews on Sportsnet. Little tells, individually meaning nothing. But add enough of them together, and you get a picture of a guy who’s happy here, who has found a good fit. Who knows what happens. I make no claims, just inferences. But the inferences point to a guy who’s interested in re-signing, and that usually means a more mutually friendly deal than a Clarkson.

12. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

OF17:
    NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

DeAngelo sublime skater, puck-mover, passer. Underrated shot. But he mentally checks out a lot. Inconsistent.

Honka- great PP QB and excellent passer. He can make tape to tape passes from blue line to far blue line immediately as he retrieves the puck.

All three are a little small. If they were two inches taller and a bit bigger they would be all the rage.

Will have more on Montour for you later.

CamRent BroBot:

I did not know, and I thank you!

14. Glass says:

Am I the only one who is high on Slepyshev around here? I don’t want to trade him. What if Pitlick is never the same after injury?

He has a wicked shot. Can play either wing. Has the size & speed for this level. Forechecks like a demon, and has demonstrated competency in a checking role. Am I crazy for thinking he has the capacity to develop into a scoring winger as well?

15. OF17 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Montour I am watching again tonight. I think of the three he has the biggest range of skills but is less offensively gifted than the other two. He looks closest to the NHL for a regular role.

Will have more on Montour for you later.

16. Klima's_Bucket says:

LT,

From this morning’s post, tell me you got this line from this old classic.

“This is marvelous, too marvelous for words.”

17. treevojo says:

Glass:

He has a wicked shot. Can play either wing. Has the size & speed for this level. Forechecks like a demon, and has demonstrated competency in a checking role. Am I crazy for thinking he has the capacity to develop intoa scoring winger as well?

Your not alone.

I mentioned earlier today that I thought he has looked really good lately and that he should stick for the rest of the year.

Low cost internal option going forward.

Hopefully the oilers can keep producing these throughout the mcdavid years.

We will need it.

18. Derek says:

Glass:

No sir.

I’m a huge fan of Slepy, couldn’t understand why he never stuck on the roster earlier in the season. He does have the occasional brainfart, like not getting that extra step or two before a dump in and accidentally icing the puck, or making a poor pass into the high slot which results in a turnover, but these things will be ironed out with more experience.

19. DaveWatchesHockey says:

Arrrrgggg and ALAS Anton Lander is so frustrating. Always performs well in the AHL and seems to keep getting better there…. meanwhile other than the brief flash of glory the NHL numbers are grim…. but oh what a flash.

What the hell!

I imagine one day someone will take him on waivers and he’ll figure it out and have a great career and end up always scoring against us when he plays the oilers.

Dave

20. DaveWatchesHockey says:

Glass:

I like him too…

Dave

Klima's_Bucket:
    LT,

From this morning’s post, tell me you got this line from this old classic.

“This is marvelous, too marvelous for words.”

Haha. No. I got it from this

22. GMB3 says:

I know it is sacrilegious to mention changing up a winning lineup…
    But how would everyone feel about a Caggiula-Khaira-Slepy kid line eating up soft minutes, and Poo-Letestu-Kassian? With Lucic playing with RNH-Ebs.

I’d also be curious to see Slepy on LW with Drai and McD at some point.

23. GMB3 says:

Also does anyone have a link to stream the Condors game tonight?

An eventful first period, 3-2 for the Condors:

1. Reinhart (4) Chase, Platzer
    2. Russell (3) Simpson
    3. Laleggia (9) Currie

25. Glass says:

To tag along to this, people have criticized previous regimes for giving up on our prospects too early. Packaging Slepyshev for a temporary fix at 3C or back-up goalie would be doing just that. He could go on to become a scoring winger who is on a long-term, cost controlled contract. Which, for us, would be very beneficial. We’ve gotta find ways to save money any way we can.

In the playoffs, run McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, and Letestu as your four pivots. Acquire a RW for depth. Rotate between Puljujarvi, Slepyshev & Caggiulia, as one is bound to get tired if you try to run them every playoff game. Sign a 3C in the off-season.

Maroon/McDavid/Vrbata
    Pouliot/Nuge/Eberle
    Lucic/Draisaitl/Puljujarvi
    Caggulia/Letestu/Kassian/Slepyshev

Draisaitl & Nuge’s line are interchangeable, one line gets more minutes than the other based on merit rather than the arbitrary 2nd or 3rd line labels. Three scoring lines, and that 4th line has some firepower as well.

GMB3:
    Also does anyone have a link to stream the Condors game tonight?

onhockeytv may.

27. Derek says:

Does anyone have any information on Ziyat Paigin? He played 8 games last season with Kazan with just 1 point and 7:55 TOI/game, then gets traded to Sochi and puts up 27 in 37 and averages 17:45 a night. This year he’s back with Kazan, gets injured early in the year, but has been back with the club since the beginning of December and he’s getting 13:43 TOI/game and only has 4 points this year in 17 games?

Was his time in Sochi just a fluke? Is it just a matter of not getting any PP time with Kazan? What is going on with this player?

Glass:

Maroon/McDavid/Vrbata
    Pouliot/Nuge/Eberle
    Lucic/Draisaitl/Puljujarvi
    Caggulia/Letestu/Kassian/Slepyshev

True. I think the Oilers MIGHT have room for all of Puljujarvi, Khaira and Slepyshev, but if they all make it (not all of them will make it), the Oilers are going to reach a logjam. Which is beautiful, and something we haven’t seen this century in the minors.

Derek:
    Does anyone have any information on Ziyat Paigin?He played 8 games last season with Kazan with just 1 point and 7:55 TOI/game, then gets traded to Sochi and puts up 27 in 37 and averages 17:45 a night.This year he’s back with Kazan, gets injured early in the year, but has been back with the club since the beginning of December and he’s getting 13:43 TOI/game and only has 4 points this year in 17 games?

Was his time in Sochi just a fluke?Is it just a matter of not getting any PP time with Kazan? What is going on with this player?

PP time reduced is my guess. He is not a puck transporter, but rather a big, strong defender with a bomb for a shot. I have talked to a scout who says he is an effective and consistent defender, didn’t talk much about his puck moving. Talked about passing and shot, plus defense.

30. Chachi says:

Glass,

I am currently really high on Slepyshev, but I am thinking about giving it up for Lent. Slepyshev is the only reason I wouldn’t hit MacTavish with a shopping cart if I saw him at the grocery store.

Slepyshev, Khaira, those guys, don’t get attached. They are guys who can help, and maybe they hang around for a time, or a long time, but the key elements on this team are known.

32. StixMalone says:

OF17:
    Diablo,

I agree. I feel he wants to stay and play here. He fits in , is having success and is appreciated. Now hopefully that influences his agent to make a realistic deal! Don’t know what the safe number is but hope we keep him a few years…..

33. treevojo says:

Chachi:
    Glass,

You mean this guy?

April 13 2015

11 days before a real GM was hired.

34. treevojo says:

treevojo: You mean this guy?

April 13 2015

11 days before a real GM was hired.

Doesn’t exactly exude confidence does it?

Puljujarvi is a bull in a china shop, but has no help on his line. Sad.

36. treevojo says:

Puljujarvi is a bull in a china shop, but has no help on his line. Sad.

This has the makings of a hall of a story.

37. Yak Efron says:

That’s alot of history on one stage at the NHL 100 for the 70s. Amazing.

38. GMB3 says:

JP just wiffed a one timer with an empty net then blaster another wide. The one he sent wide was a cannon

39. Chachi says:

treevojo: Doesn’t exactly exude confidence does it?

Not at all.

Hey, William Lagesson scored tonight for Massach..for UMass.

41. Pastor of Disaster says:

LT, in honor of tonight’s Top 100 thing, I think it’d be great to have some list episodes of the blog. Your 10 favourite NHL Defensemen of all-time; 10 all-time favourite Oilers (non-Pisani division); 10 favourite players to watch on HNIC as a kid… that kind of stuff. We all love when your hockey fandom gets personal!

Ryan Hamilton scored from Puljujarvi, 4-2. PP

43. Centre of attention says:

It’s okay he will get called up and his shooting% will most likely regress to something more normal and Chiarelli will need to get the vapors watching that 6’4” frame fly down the wing.

His knee seems to be doing better IMO and that makes a big difference. His skating was not good early in the year, which was shocking considering the videos I had been watching and the scouting reports I was reading.

44. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

OF17: Very interesting. All three seem like decent to good stylistic fits. If you had to pick one for the Oilers, who would you choose, and why? What role would you put them in in 17/18?

I forgot Theodore is playing, too. Has to play right side left shot.
    That said I think Montour is the better player.

Jaxon, tonight Wood is playing better. Good passes, better defensive awareness. Skating better, too, but still pretty average. He has that reach though so I can see why you like him. Bit like Marincin in stature. Skinny and wiry.

Problem is DeAngelo being sent down means he is taking all of Wood’s PP time. And he is quite clearly #6 of 6 in ice time at evens. Sheltered.

For the Oilers I would take Montour for sure. His hockey sense is so good. He is efficient, skilled, makes the best decision consistently. I think Oiler fans would appreciate him. I would say he projects as a better Benning.

DeAngelo is so good with the puck but not so hot without. He has a goal tonight and should have had another. But he sometimes mentally seems to not be focused. I think Oiler fans will run out of patience like with Poti or Schultz. So for Edmonton I do not see him as a great fit at this time. But we could sure use his PP QB-ing.

Honka is is somewhere in between the two. He might be the best passer of the three. And tools wise with his skating he may have the highest upside but I think he still has a way to go until he is ready.

Safest bet is Montour for the Oilers. Imagine he would cost a lot to acquire.

Among forwards Christian Fischer to me is the best in the Coyotes org. at this level. Duclair has similar tools and plays with an edge but down here he flies the zone looking for a breakaway pass. Fischer is solid in all zones and has speed and grit. Like Chris Kreider-lite.

Most disappointing for me every night is Henrik Samuelsson. The guy is an AHL checker. Exepected a lot more from him after his junior career. Not enough speed or skill to make it in the NHL in a top 6 role. He will be lucky to make it as a 4th liner at this rate.

45. judgedrude says:

I’m thinking Benning has more than 2 GP in the NHL.

46. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

judgedrude:
    I’m thinking Benning has more than 2 GP in the NHL.

And Montour scores a bullet on the PP.

47. OF17 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Interesting. Thank you. My preference from afar is Montour as well. Wonder if Sekera-Benning-Nurse-Montour is a strong enough 4 to follow Klefbom-Larsson next season. Benning is great, but based on the same model, Brandon Davidson should be doing a lot better this year. Not sure I like putting so much stock in two young RHD in Benning and Montour.

Montour isn’t expansion eligible though. Currently Anaheim has Bieksa with a NMC and Lindholm, Vatanen, Fowler, and Manson they wouldn’t want to lose. Makes me think Manson is the guy to grab with Montour able to replace him.

48. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

OF17,

You know who is down here who might be an easy upgrade on Gryba in the same role? Michalek.

Right shot, decent skater, physical.

49. prairieschooner says:

I am bored
    Why can’t the oilers be trouncing some distasteful nhl team tonight ?

50. prairieschooner says:

Are teams with NMC s better or worse off when it comes to the expansion draft?
    Who are the teams with a large number of NMC s?

51. Westchester Oil says:

OF17:
    Diablo,

Ever since Maroon scored that big goal in St, Louis with his son watching, he’s not only been a happy camper but he’s been playing great.

52. spoiler says:

judgedrude:
    I’m thinking Benning has more than 2 GP in the NHL.

You would be right, but if you read a little higher in the same section up top, you will notice LT said AHL stats. He sure wasn’t on the streets of Bakersfield for long.

53. Aron_S says:

prairieschooner,

Capfriendly.com has your answers, but teams hard up due to NMC include Anaheim, Chicago and Columbus.

54. MrEd says:

JP with an apple in a 6-3 Condors win. I’m hoping that he got 3-4 shots and had a good back-check when the game was still tight.
    Somehow I’m confident that he did.

55. MrEd says:

A back-up for Talbot is the #1 priority for this year IMO.
    We’ll lose the battle probably.
    But it’ll be worth it.
    IMO

56. theDjdj says:

Would Soderburg be a solution for our 3C concern? He has some cons (shoots the wrong way, foot speed) but you have to think Avs are desperate to offload his contract. He’s had a down season but was good last year. Think Maroon-esque deal but they eat more salary?

57. MrEd says:

Jarret Stoll?

58. Professor Q says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    OF17,

Right shot, decent skater, physical.

Isn’t he a LW?

59. jm363561 says:

DaveWatchesHockey:

What the hell!

Dave

Lander lights up the AHL putting up big points (as he did under Nelson and with Team Sweden) then, in the Big League, gets put on a line of plugs, crushing zone starts, and a few minutes a night killing penalties. Just give the guy a chance – despite it all he is THIRD in points / 60. (I do not know how to check this but I read his GF/GA is one of the best on the (NHL) team). ALAS indeed.

60. jm363561 says:

GMB3:
    I know it is sacrilegious to mention changing up a winning lineup…

I’d also be curious to see Slepy on LW with Drai and McD at some point.

61. GMB3 says:

jm363561: As Blender Todd has managed to take his finger off the Blender button and we have a great streak going I would like to keep changes to a minimum for now. JMHO though.

I just meant down the road. I agree for now as well

62. trencan says:

Derek:

Sochi was new team in KHL previous season and they didnt have strong team so Ziyat played on first defenense with lot of time. He showed potential and after 1 year loan (or Kazan had some buy back clause, I am not sure) he was back in AK Bars. Kazan is relatively strong and defensive minded team in KHL with high expectations. Ziyat is playing there mostly as 7th defender. He needs change for his development, Sochi was perfect for him…

63. PhrankLee says:

Lovely morning looking at the standings and calculating possible scenarios that lend advantage to us given that it’s an expansion year.

It’s a lovely day for an LT thread without the histrionics of yesterday, please.

Haters and WG I’m talking to both of you!

For the love of Petunia, please knock it off.

Yesterday is dead and gone. And tomorrow is out of sight.

64. frjohnk says:

PhrankLee: Haters and WG I’m talking to both of you!

Dont think WG did anything wrong other than backing up his opinion with stats. Not sure why Haters and Leadfarmer felt they needed to attack him. People should know if you hurl insults at WG, he will come back swinging.

Haters and Leadfarmer have lost credibility on this site.

65. PhrankLee says:

frjohnk: People should know if you hurl insults at WG, he will come back swinging.

Yes he will. I really like that about him. And he is a great pillar of this community. But all day? And at 6 am today still engaging an obviously pointed and flawed set of comments from Haters?

C’mon, man.

Let it go.

66. frjohnk says:

PhrankLee: Let it go.

OK, changing the subject, then 🙂

Kids were just singing this as we are going to Disneyland tomorrow.

Arggghhh. They just had to watch Frozen last night and keep singing that F*((^(^( song!

Good news is that the booze is way cheaper in the States.

And will catch the Avs Ducks game. Wished I could have booked the trip one week earlier to watch the Oilers Ducks. Oh well.

67. russ99 says:

IMO, Puljujarvi needs to be putting the puck in the net with more regularity before he’s ready to come back up.

Encouraging results thus far, but it’s a work in progress.

68. Primetime says:

Don’t look now but Reinhart is really coming on now…on both the offensive and defensive ends. I think there is an ever increasing possibility that Chia protects him in the expansion draft. He has more upside than Davidson and they gave up more to get him. He would also be more attractive to the Knights.

The problem will be, to protect Reinhart, you have to go 8-1…only 4 forwards. With Drai/Nuge/Ebs/Lucic that means every other forward is exposed….interesting times.

Oh to have sent Drai back to junior sooner his first year….we were worried about his contract status…having to protect him now was an unforeseen consequence….

69. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

frjohnk: OK, changing the subject, then

Kids were just singing this as we are going to Disneyland tomorrow.

Arggghhh.They just had to watch Frozen last night and keep singing that F*((^(^( song!

Good news is that the booze is way cheaper in the States.

And will catch the Avs Ducks game.Wished I could have booked the trip one week earlier to watch the Oilers Ducks.Oh well.

Gawd I hate that song. It has been what, 4 years at least? I once found myself in a subway car in NYC with Idina Menzel. Really wanted to complain about her wrecking my life haha.

70. judgedrude says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: I’m thinking if you are going to not contribute anything to the conversation you should at least ger his games played number right. Notice I said “projects” , does not mean he will get there.

And Montour scores a bullet on the PP.

Apologies….I should have directed my comment to LT who made a typo in the lower NHL games played numbers from the different farm teams. It has since been corrected on the fly by Our Good Host Lowetide (Sorry Spoiller, but I was right 😉

Moving on…