RACE TO DAYLIGHT

This is Kevin Shattenkirk. He would be a perfect fit for this Edmonton Oilers team (depending on price) but the tumblers refuse to align. We can’t really get into price, because Shattenkirk as a pure rental would be reckless behavior. If he could be signed to a two-year deal? Different matter. What can a general manager do?

Peter Chiarelli did it last year, when he acquired Patrick Maroon. Now, Maroon isn’t in the same category as Shattenkirk, but if we marry need with the Maroon template (two years or so left on a contract, and a team that has tired of the asset), maybe we can find something.

TWO-WAY CENTER/WINGER

1. C Matt Duchene would obviously be overkill, but what a fantastic player. Imagine this guy on the same team with McDavid!?!? Cost: The actual moon.
  2. C Martin Hanzal would be a very good addition. 40gp, 10-9-19.
  3. R Kyle Palmieri is off his 30-goal pace from a year ago and signed through 2021 at 4.65M.
  4. L Carl Hagelin is scoring less this year (6-12-18) and makes $4M through 2019. The Penguins are attached to about five guys, the rest of the roster is on spin cycle.
  5. L-R Tobias Rieder is on the list just in case he is available. For me, he is a Pisani type, and could really help this Oilers team in all kinds of areas.
  6. C Boone Jenner is another player off his scoring pace of a year ago, makes $2.9 this and next season.
  7. C Ryan Strome is just kind of hanging around, but surely he is worth a shot? $2.5M this and next year, Glen Sather would trade for him tomorrow in his Edmonton days.
  8. R Loui Eriksson is too much ($6M cap) for too long (2022) but if the contracts work? Eriksson has been a disappointment in Vancouver.
  9. L Ryan Spooner makes less than $1M and is running 51gp, 7-17-24—a big fall from the 49 points one year ago. The Oilers need a RW more, but the price might be right.
  10. R-C Craig Smith shoots the puck a helluva lot and makes $4.25M through 2020. He has the name thing (guys named Craig Smith tend to slide under the event horizon), but could help and doesn’t cost a great deal.
  11. R Radim Vrbata is a rental, but he would be a perfect fit for Edmonton this season.
  12. R P-A Parenteau is scoring again, my goodness he and Vrbata get no respect.
  13. C Patrik Berglund will be a UFA this coming summer, and Edmonton could take him for a test drive. Currently 11-7-18.
  14. R Matt Read is making big coin ($3.625M for this and next season) while shooting and scoring less this year.
  15. C Brian Boyle is unlikely to come available, but if he does Edmonton would do well to check out the prices.
  16. R Kris Versteeg may have realized the error of his ways by now.
  17. L Valtteri Filppula has a year after this one to go on his contract, and is having a good season (48, 7-25-32). He is a loose (but expensive) comp for Maroon, current success aside.
  18. L-R Patrick Sharp is an interesting name (I first heard the idea from Dustin Nielson), UFA at the end of the year and still shoots the puck a lot.
  19. R Jarome Iginla. I am including him because he is a possible option, but I don’t think he is a reasonable option.
  20. R Ales Hemsky. He is hurt, but I would love to see him back.

This is in so specific order, I guess you could say they are sorted by range (injured and old at the bottom, unattainable at the top). I suspect Martin Hanzal’s cost will be too dear, but Patrik Berglund’s price may be affordable for Edmonton. Not ideal, but he can play center or wing and is an established veteran.

OFFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN

1. RD Kevin Shattenkirk would be a slam dunk, but would have to be accompanied by a new contract. Price? Dear.
  2. RD Sami Vatanen remains an interesting option. He is off his previous numbers, and more expensive now, but I like him as an option. Chaos in his game a concern, but worth the risk.
  3. LD Cam Fowler makes $4M this and next season, and could pop available depending on how the Ducks plan to proceed on their blue. Having a good season offensively.
  4. RD Brandon Montour is a very nice fit.
  5. RD Tyson Barrie has a biggish contract and is having a poor year. I think he would be an interesting option, but the Oilers better be sure they are getting the right Barrie.
  6. RD Brent Seabrook is a name we have heard before, and Chicago would love to offload him based on cap worries. His numbers do not scream go for it.
  7. LD Brandon Manning, and then send him to the minors. I kid. Kinda.

I think Peter Chiarelli will check out prices, but defensemen cost the sun, moon and stars at the deadline. In fact, with Darnell Nurse coming back, I think we could see an Oilers defender dealt.

BACKUP GOALIE

1. Anders Nilsson. Another Nielson idea, he left last deadline, maybe he comes back this deadline?
  2. Reto Berra is a solid choice for backup goalie.

Berra should be a fairly easy get, and would be a reasonable upgrade for Edmonton. I admit to being intrigued by the idea of Nilsson, he knows the team and certainly played well as an Oiler.

PROJECTED DEALS

• 2018 second-round selection to St. Louis for C Patrik Berglund
  • 2017 sixth-round selection for Reto Berra.

PROJECTED ROSTER

Anton Lander can be sent out easier than a defenseman (I think, could be wrong), so we may see this alignment or a defender on IR when Darnell Nurse returns. I would do things a little differently (Hendricks out, Puljujarvi in) but Todd McLellan likes a veteran lineup and there are just three rookies in this lineup. I also like the idea of test driving a UFA like Berglund, although I imagine Peter Chiarelli would like to add a Maroon deal.

I watched last night’s game and have to say the lack of ice time for Jesse Puljujarvi—added to a lack of quality linemates—is alarming. What, exactly, are the Oilers doing here? Is Taylor Beck the big prospect in Bakersfield? I would estimate JP got 12-14 minutes of playing time last night, Beck over 20. Sad. If Peter Chiarelli wants to develop Jesse Puljujarvi in Bakersfield, then the young man must play. I understand pushing for the playoffs, but the young Finn is having an impact on almost every shift. Baffling. Simply baffling.

FORWARDS 5X5 PER 60

My favorite stat for forwards is this one. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. My line in the sand is this: Skill forwards need to be pushing toward 2.00/60, and you would like to see as many Fs over 1.50 as possible. If a forward is under 1.30/60, then it is a real concern. Edmonton should have three players inside the top 90 (top line), three more between 91-180 (second line), and on it goes.

• No. 10—Connor McDavid 2.65
  • No. 33—Tyler Pitlick 2.22
  • No. 63—Leon Draisaitl 1.96
  • No. 101—Patrick Maroon 1.79
  • No. 106—Zack Kassian 1.77
  • No. 142—Mark Letestu 1.62
  • No. 200—Jordan Eberle 1.45
  • No. 200—Jesse Puljujarvi 1.45
  • No. 207—Anton Slepyshev 1.43
  • No. 227—Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 1.36
  • No. 284—Matt Hendricks 1.14
  • No. 299—Milan Lucic 1.09
  • No. 299—Benoit Pouliot 1.09
  • No. 317—Drake Caggiula 1.01

There is a tendency to stare at these things in a vacuum and make sweeping statements (Milan Lucic is drowning!) but it is important to remember that even veterans have slumps that last for a long time. Claude Giroux is 1.01, Kyle Okposo is 0.96, and on it goes. Source

Milan Lucic has good boxcars because of his power-play time, but one of the keys to the second half should be unlocking this player’s offense 5×5. It is there. He was 2.04/60 in this category one year ago, and I think Peter Chiarelli could really help by adding a veteran center like Berglund. I think Ryan Spooner—was has played with Lucic—could also be a player of interest.

136 Responses to "RACE TO DAYLIGHT"

1. Primetime says:

Good morning LT!

Sorry just posted this at end of last thread….

Don’t look now but Reinhart is really coming on now…on both the offensive and defensive ends. I think there is an ever increasing possibility that Chia protects him in the expansion draft. He has more upside than Davidson and they gave up more to get him. He would also be more attractive to the Knights.
    The problem will be, to protect Reinhart, you have to go 8-1…only 4 forwards. With Drai/Nuge/Ebs/Lucic that means every other forward is exposed….interesting times.
    Oh to have sent Drai back to junior sooner his first year….we were worried about his contract status…having to protect him now was an unforeseen consequence….

2. DBO says:

Always love these posts, more so this cause it is about addition not subtraction!

I think you missed one RD. Green from Detroit would be interesting. May be a cheaper acquisition then Shattenkirk .

Need to improve 3C as a priority number 1 I think. Caggulia doesn’t have it right now, and his speed is best used on the wing at 4LW. that’s best spot I believe as you projected. I would still run lander there until a replacement is found, and give Caggulia some press box time and have him alternate with Hendricks at 4LW.

Berglund may be the ideal fit based on cost and two way play. Could you do blockbuster and get both Shattenkirk and Berglund for next years first, Davidson and someone? Or is that cost like an Eberle, or ideally Pouliot (hehe).

3. Psyche says:

LT,
    Is former Erie Otter Dylan Strome a candidate for this time of year? Maybe a nice future addition with his history playing with Connor McDavid?
    How much of a weighting do you put on previous playoff experience for the players you listed? I remember Gregor and Button talking about that this week.
    Enjoy your weekend!

4. Woodguy v2.0 says:

LT,

You missed a good vet RW on an expiring contract who is ripping it up on a bad team.

Vanek.

1yr 2.6MM contract

3.12 5v5 pts/60
    3.83 GFON/60
    62.8% GF%
    +3.1% RelCor

Only 3.62 5v4 pts/60 , but I’d imagine that would increase being 97’s trigger man.

Lowe would get to scratch the Lucic itch and Vanek itch in the same year!!

Good player who many left for dead, but is killing it this year on a cheap expiring contract.

If McLellan and Chiarelli don’t like like Lander, I wonder if DET takes him + for Vanek?

5. Soup Fascist says:

Wow. Somebody needs to talk to Fleming – and fast.

JP needs three things. Ice time, good coaching and confidence.

1 + 2 = 3

If he isn’t getting 1, I REALLY question 2 and obviously fear for 3.

Fleming has never been a coach for young players.

Full stop.

6. gogliano says:

I think depth at C is the best place to add so Drai can stay up at RW during the playoffs. Caggiula should be a bit player at most at this stage in his career.

What’s Rem the Gem Murray doing nowadays?

7. meanashell11 says:

So I know Kevin Shattenkirk. He coached my sons one summer back in the day then we went to see him play at the Ottawa WJC. Really a nice guy, local guy around here, Fairfield County CT. I can believe Boston or NYR are his fav and do not doubt any other team would have to pay huge to sign him. If a call from Messier who will know him well (Mess lives up the road from me, see him all the time) was doable with permission from STL we should make that call and feel him out.

8. DBO says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Gregor had a good post at ON on vanek. As well as Brian Boyle.

Hanzal, Vrbata and Shattenkirk are getting bigger push, but Vanek and Boyke, etc will cost less and possibly fit as well.

Does anyone go after Tyson Barrie? Staffer is pumping his tires this past week, and who knows what Colorado is doing. Could be a great fit as 2RD .

9. gogliano says:

On Puljujarvi: I think he needs to play more but I also think he will be back up with the NHL squad by March/April to get him ready for a taste of the playoffs. In the games I’ve watched, he’s putting up points and creating boatloads of chances in limited minutes. Should have had a goal last night.

It’s also possible that the theory advocated here that JP was discovered to be not physically ready by staff is true and they’re slow playing him for that reason.

10. Soup Fascist says:

Primetime:
    Good morning LT!

Sorry just posted this at end of last thread….

I would roll the dice on losing the latter.

11. Primetime says:

Further to my mention of above….

His mini-resurgence may also make him a viable trade piece for some of the targets you mentioned LT. Especially if the return is someone with term left on the contract.

Selling him while on the upswing despite initial acquisition cost would d finitely show that Chia is flexible, not stubborn on past and willing to do what’s right for team. Even if it highlights his initial deal as being less than a win

12. Woogie63 says:

1. In our system but not on the NHL club, that would be nice addition are; Nurse, JP, Kahaira, Reinhart, Fayne and The Monster if he gets his game back.

2. I think the Oilers want Driasaitl as 2C in the long term.

3. Vanek or Josh Anderson are the targets

13. Primetime says:

Soup Fascist,

Get what you’re saying but he is showing urgency now….look at his last run of games. If he continues like this until end of season, does it change Chia’s mind? Maroon is great but we only have control for one more year, and even if he wants to stay in Edmonton, he may be unaffordable after another year on Connors wing. GMs have to consider long term future in this expansion draft too (both McPhee and Chia)

I have mentioned this in the past, but George McPhee likes the Griffin Reinhart skill set. He may look at GR and believe he is acquiring his Karl Alzner.

GR is probably high on the EDM list for the Golden Knights.

15. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

I wonder what Montour would cost? Oilers could use his hockey sense and his hard righty shot back there. He is not a riverboat gambler like DeAngelo. I always see him circling back high and making pinches only rarely and when the odds are in his favour. I think coaches would trust him.

Problem is the damn expansion draft and he is still too inexperienced to help now. Summer perhaps makes sense.

16. judgedrude says:

Lowetide: C Matt Duchene would obviously be overkill, but what a fantastic player. Imagine this guy on the same team with McDavid!?!? Cost: The actual moon.

Well the Moon did play for Edmonton and the Oilers. Maybe there is something there.

17. Woogie63 says:

Soup Fascist: So expose a value impact player like Maroon and keep a minor league defenseman, with bad boots, who has demonstrated zero urgency in being an NHL defenseman?

I would roll the dice on losing the latter.

I am very cautious of “older” big men, that have one very good year and the cash in. Maroon has to sign an affordable contract he is a complimentary player, and have seen this story a few times in the recent NHL history.

Brandon Bollig
    David Clarkson
    Lauri Korpikoski
    Ryan Clowe
    Bryan Bickell

18. Woogie63 says:

GR is probably high on the EDM list for the Golden Knights.

McPhee is a smart GM, if GR is a Karl Alzner we should keep Griffin.

19. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

LT, probably won’t happen but I have seen a lot of Z. Michalek now and I think he is still better than Gryba. He is mobile, physical (he absolutely levels people. Big crowd favourite for that). He has a decent shot and is a veteran.

Plays the most minutes at evens against top lines every night for Tucson, and he brings along/mentors Tinordi.

Arizona with its money issues I am sure would trade him for a song. He makes 3.2m and that is why he is down on the farm. But he is UFA this summer so at this point the cap issues are small.

Klef-Larsson
    Sekera-Benning
    Russell-Michalek
    Davidson (until he finds his game)

The cost to get Michalek is likely nothing and then you can waive him if need be. Definite upgrade over Gryba on footspeed and he brings the same sort of gritensity.

20. sliderule says:

One of the comments I read on JP before the draft was that he was prone to whiffing on one timers and his shot while very hard was often wild.
    I saw a comment last night that he whiffed on a sure fire scoring chance.
    Watched him and Slepy one timing puck at an optional oiler practice and he was very erratic compared to Slepy
    Before the start of season Stauffer expressed some concern about JP so knowing his connections there may be some who were not on board with drafting him.
    JP will end up being a useful player but perhaps not the goal scorer a lot of us thought we were getting.

21. kgo says:

Soup Fascist:
    Wow. Somebody needs to talk to Fleming – and fast.

JP needs three things. Ice time, good coaching and confidence.

1 + 2 = 3

If he isn’t getting 1, I REALLY question 2 and obviously fear for 3.

Fleming has never been a coach for young players.

Full stop.

22. Timeisnow says:

I would like to see Drake in the AHL, JJ(when healthy) and Lander playing. Hendo needs a few night off.

I don’t see Drake as fast player, average but not fast.

Would like to see a good backup goalie and maybe add Iggy for a right shot hammer on the PP.
    Give Lander and JJ a chance. I like Anton, how he needs to find another step

Davidson, isn’t playing all that well right now, but him staying healthy and getting up to speed and pushing Russell hard is what I want to see. Davidson is a very good D we seen it last year

23. Edmonton_fan says:

gogliano:
    On Puljujarvi: I think he needs to play more but I also think he will be back up with the NHL squad by March/April to get him ready for a taste of the playoffs.In the games I’ve watched, he’s putting up points and creating boatloads of chances in limited minutes.Should have had a goal last night.

Puljujarvi will be 18 years old when the playoffs start. It is possible they want to limit his ice time now to ensure he has fresh legs in case the Oilers play a couple of playoff rounds. Playoff hockey is closer checking & harder hitting.

24. Ben says:

Maybe a stupid question, but does Vegas have to get to the cap floor before opening night? Any chance this influences a decision on, say, Pouliot/Fayne vs Reinhart/Davidson?

I suppose they can always just grab Datsyuk or Bolland from Chayka…

25. Doug McLachlan says:

DBO,

I was also thinking of Green. Problem is that he has $6M on his contract for next year. Could you craft a package that includes Fayne going the other way?

Up front, is Oiler killer Joe Colborne someone worth targeting? He looks like a Chia player.

26. leadfarmer says:

I very highly doubt Barrie gets moved as all the verbal seems to indicate they are looking for a trade like we were last year: high end forward for a d men. Without Barrie they have Eric Johnson and nobody.

Is Reinhart waiver eligible next year. Vegas makes 30 picks for 23 spots so a few of them will probably be prospects unless they draft 15 NHL dmen and trade 7 immediately

27. Timeisnow says:

GR is probably high on the EDM list for the Golden Knights.

I agree, he’s a McPhee player. Now that he’s starting to be more aggressive he will be real appealing. I really hope GR is left unprotected and is selected, goes on to play well for 15 yrs

28. Aitch says:

I doubt Ericsson is available , unless someone is willing to overpay somehow. Like Lucic and Okposo, they’re all on new teams trying to live up to the higher expectations brought on by those bigger paycheques. Certainly not the first to have a down year in those circumstances.

Personally, I think Iginla is on the way. We could use the depth on RW, especially if Puljujarvi isn’t coming back guns-a-blazing. He has the connection to Chiarelli from their one season in Boston, and there’s always the awkward bonus for Jarome of not having to face the Flames again during the regular season.

Let’s assume that a defender does get dealt, and it’s Russelll. Is it possible then that we see the following combinations?
    Klefbom – Larsson
    Sekera – Benning
    Nurse – Gryba

It lines up LD -RD, and the third pairing have looks decent together. In addition to assuming Russell is dealt, I’m also assuming that Davidson continues to struggle a bit. We could just as easily see nothing change and Nurse end up in Bakersfield for at least a rehab stint.

29. Chachi says:

Timeisnow:

I don’t see Drake as fast player, average but not fast.

Brett Burns, Paul Martin and Joe Pavelski might disagree with you.

30. judgedrude says:

Ben:

I suppose they can always just grab Datsyuk or Bolland from Chayka…

Something like that…

And scroll to point 4 at the bottom.

31. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Could the Oilers deal Gryba for Michalek? Saves the Coyotes cap room.

I believe he is an upgrade over Gryba. I honestly do.

32. PhrankLee says:

Agree wholly, LT.

Shattenkirk is absolutely perfect for this team if he signs. Bad for the team strictly as a rental.

Oh man I would be in heaven.

33. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Chachi: Brett Burns, Paul Martin and Joe Pavelski might disagree with you.

I know you know that and were being funny 😉

34. who says:

Curious why you think Bergland, playing on a playoff contender, will only require a second rounder and yet hanzal, playing for a bottom feeder, will cost more?
    Bergland is the better player. Have seen hanzal live 5 times in the last month. He is a big guy who can win a draw but that is it. Slow skater and a pair of stone hands.

35. season not played says:

One of the things I like about McDavid is he is willing to mix it up and rush to the defence of a teammate.

One of the other things I like about McDavid, as an example, is the genuine joy he showed the other night when Kassian scored that goal.

The guy is a captain, thru and thru.

The Oilers finally look like a team, not a bunch of guys running around playing heinously flawed hockey trying to put up numbers.

I’m obviously not privy to what is said between periods, or on the bench during he game, but based on Lucics interview in the second intermission Thursday night his leadership, toughness and poise look to be factors in much of the changes with his team.

VS NJ a couple weeks ago, Hall cheapshots Kassian, turtles when Kassian responds and then skates away as fast as he can. Like almost every physical confrontation he encountered as an oiler.

Adam Larsson has his flaws, he is a young defenceman, but he is one miserable SOB to play against and a huge factor the team has basically reversed its horrible record against the west.

I’ll say it again. The Oilers are hard to play against. If the Oilers need to, they can be bullies and on paper, there is not a team that can match their combination of skill and toughness.

I can’t imagine any other team in the West is too anxious to go to war with the Oilers if they do in fact make the playoffs.(I have a hockey Gord jinx superstition)

Can’t say for sure, and we will never know, but I don’t think this team is what it is with Hall and pick your dman instead of Lucic and Larsson.

36. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

season not played,

I think that horse has been dead a while. Do we really need to assassinate Hall’s character every time we praise this current team?

37. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

who,

Friedman reported Chayka asked the Habs for McCarron and two 1sts for Hanzal.

Of course that is ridiculous.

Hanzal has size and a track record of going against Getzlaf and Kopitar and shutting them down in their primes.

He is injured a lot and seems he is not nearly as good this year but people still remember that.

Meanwhile Berglund has been considered an underachiever for much of his career. That is why Hanzal will fetch more at the deadline. You are right, though. It probably SHOULD be the other way around at this stage.

38. flyfish1168 says:

judgedrude: Something like that…

And scroll to point 4 at the bottom.

Under Minimum Exposure Requirements expose players meeting the criteria of playing in 70 or more NHL games in the last two seasons

would be Mark Fayne

He adds descent veteran RH presents and just 2017/18 year left on his contract. Helps gets to floor of CAP. This does leave LV with options if he is the chosen by them. trade deadline if he shows well.

39. leadfarmer says:

Chachi: Brett Burns, Paul Martin and Joe Pavelski might disagree with you.

He’s fast but really doesn’t do much in between, needs time in Bakersfield. Upgrading Caggula is the biggest need for the playoff run. Either that or find a rw that can play with McDavid and put Drai down on with Lucic and sleppy on 3rd line. 3rd lines are huge in playoffs as the top lines tend to negate each other. The Doughtys and Keith’s of the world have one problem: they can only play half a game instead of the whole thing

40. Chachi says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: They might. Or they might say the quick turnover caught them going the other way so they could not catch him in time. That one play does not provide proof either way. He could be average for a forward or could be fast. Your mileage may vary on that one.

I know you know that and were being funny 😉

Yes there is that.

41. Chachi says:

leadfarmer: He’s fast but really doesn’t do much in between, needs time in Bakersfield.Upgrading Caggula is the biggest need for the playoff run.Either that or find a rw that can play with McDavid and put Drai down on with Lucic and sleppy on 3rd line.3rd lines are huge in playoffs as the top lines tend to negate each other.The Doughtys and Keith’s of the world have one problem:they can only play half a game instead of the whole thing

I think Caggiula could be alright as left wing on the 4th line, but agree an upgrade at centre on the 3rd line is needed.

42. leadfarmer says:

I wonder what vrbata would cost? Might be even interested signing at a reasonable price in offseason

43. bbf_iii says:

Psyche:
    LT,

You’d have to give up a whole lot to get Strome out of Arizona and I don’t think he helps you much this year.

44. Aron_S says:

Does anyone know if there is a 23 player roster limit for playoffs?

In the same vein, can you call up players from the minors once playoffs begin?

I know there is the limit of calling up 4 players from the minor league roster after the trade deadline, but does that limit lift once playoffs begin?

45. fifthcartel says:

Aron_S,

I’m pretty sure there’s no roster limit in the playoffs.

46. Timeisnow says:

Chachi,

Burns came from the far boards and just about caught him. Saying that would be nice if Lander had his speed. He’s fast just not blazing like Cogs or Marchant

47. Bruce McCurdy says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    Could the Oilers deal Gryba for Michalek? Saves the Coyotes money

Ftfy

48. Lloyd B. says:

From various bloggers/posters the past few days the following tweaks have been suggested.

1) Boyle from Tampa Bay for a 3rd and a prospect. This adds a 3 line centre with significant playoff experience on an expiring contract. No expansion worries. Potential to resign if they choose.

2) Vanek from Detroit for Lander and a prospect. Adds a 3rd line Right shot winger. Should help PP as well. Expiring contract so JJ and or Slepy take the spot next year. No expansion worries.

3) Anders Nillson / Berra Backup goalie on expiring contract. Either should be reasonably cheap to acquire and are on expiring contracts. No need to resign as Brossoit should be good to go as back up next year. No expansion worries.

All three acquisitions for a relatively low cost with no expansion concerns, no future year contracts dragging along and no significant emptying of the prospect cupboards.

Does this change the playoff fortunes from “glad to be here” to “look out below”?

Which all leaves one piece left to acquire for a legitimate cup run. Another 2nd/1st pairing Right shot dman. Shattenkirk.

Yes the acquisition cost would be high. Say Nurse plus another prospect. For fun lets say Kahaira. Add in 2017 1st if he re-signs.

Does this change the playoff fortunes from “look out below” to “look out league, we want to win it all this year”?

Is the Shattenkirk acquisition cost worth it if they fall short of winning the cup? Does getting the young guns a deep run of playoff experience with no cup offset the cost?

Or do they just let the chips fall where they may this year to see what they have regards playoff ability as a group and tweak as required next year?

Is it worth the shot? I have a foot in both canoes. (That usually doesn’t end well)

I truly don’t know and ask the questions seriously. Load up and take a run or sit back and wait?

49. slopitch says:

Important to remember GR just turned 23. Still has his best hockey in front of him. Davidson is 3 years older but lost a few seasons due to life. If GR is indeed on the upswing, its key to recognize this and change your opinion or we’ll get fleeced.

That said. The left side is deep and I’d package him for a big add (long term fit).

50. PerryK says:

Doug McLachlan:
    DBO,

I was also thinking of Green.Problem is that he has $6M on his contract for next year.Could you craft a package that includes Fayne going the other way?

Up front, is Oiler killer Joe Colborne someone worth targeting?He looks like a Chia player.

I really like your thinking. What he said!

51. trencan says:

During last lockout season I remeber Andrej Sekera playing with Lubo Visnovsky in KHL. It was fantastic duo. Hope Oilers will find similar player for Seky…

52. pocession charge says:

Woogie63: McPhee is a smart GM, if GR is a Karl Alzner we should keep Griffin.

You mean the same guy who traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat? I think I’d get a second opinion if I were you.

53. Chachi says:

Timeisnow:
    Chachi,

I think Caggiula is fast enough for the NHL, but compared to someone like Cogliano, yes he is not that fast.

54. leadfarmer says:

Lloyd B.,

Lander has no value, absolutely none. You might get a 5th rounder if you are lucky and I don’t think we’re that lucky

55. Melman says:

Another off the radar fit might be Brian Gionta for 3C. RH vet can play the wing, expiring contract – think John Madden for Chicago’s 1st cup. A guy who scores 3 goals in the playoffs and 2 are clutch

season not played:

Hall didn’t turtle. It was a one punch fight between a superheavyweight and a star player who doesn’t know how to fight. Kassian clocked him with a left and the fight was over, because the one punch knocked Hall completely off-balance.

Hall took the first punch. That is NOT turtling.

57. stush18 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

Klef-Larsson
    Sekera-Benning
    Russell-Michalek
    Davidson (until he finds his game)

I think when you’re making moves at the bottom of the roster, you really need to consider relationships between players.

I think it’s obvious gryba is a well liked guy. Trading him for a marginally better and more expensive player might not sit well with the other players.

Sounds stupid, but I thought Washington trading laich at the deadline last year was an awful move. He was one of the heart and soul guys, and trading him based off a money decision was one of the reasons the team got bounced so easily, imo.

Ripping apart your roster over replacement level players ignores the chemistry developed between players over a year. Especially this year with it being the first successful year in a decade.

I can’t see Hendricks or gryba or lander being dealt unless the return is substantial, and it likely won’t be.

58. Woogie63 says:

pocession charge: You mean the same guy who traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat?I think I’d get a second opinion if I were you.

59. Confused says:

Primetime,

7_3*1is a must, protect Maroon

60. stush18 says:

Melman:
    Another off the radar fit might be Brian Gionta for 3C. RH vet can play the wing, expiring contract – think John Madden for Chicago’s 1st cup.A guy who scores 3 goals in the playoffs and 2 are clutch

61. Confused says:

DBO,

Think Troubadour for Klefbom in the summer is thE deal

62. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

stush18,

Perhaps. I don’t know how Chia thinks of that.

On another note I think Oiler fans may be disappointed with the return on a Davidson trade (if that happens).

63. Confused says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Think they should take Davidson for him, and give us a couple of picks

64. Klima's_Bucket says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Unrelated, to this comment, but thanks so much for the updates from the Roadrunners games on the prospects.
    I find whatever you post about those guys in the AHL extremely interesting.

65. digger50 says:

season not played:

The guy is a captain, thru and thru.

66. John Chambers says:

Jannik Hansen from the Canucks. RW – skates well and can score.

One more year left on a low-cost contract.

67. Oil2Oilers says:

RHD Ryan Sproul in Detroit. Offensive D with a canon of a shot matriculating out of Detroits legendary slow play development system.

I think he could be had for a very reasonable price. Can play as a 6/7 defender now but has a higher upside and could transform the Powerplay.

68. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Klima’s_Bucket,

Hi, thanks. No worries! Fun seeing our division rivals’ prospects, too.

69. Woogie63 says:

judgedrude: Something like that…

And scroll to point 4 at the bottom.

Why would Las Vegas pay $500M for a franchise and use the likes of Bolland and Datsyuk to limp to the cap floor. In that town they are going to be entertaining from day one or they will be learning French and complaining about the cold weather in Quebec City.

70. pocession charge says:

Woogie63: Ha that was a bad trade…. as the GM of the Capitals over 17 years he does have 640 NHL wins

Yeah he actually built some pretty decent teams in Washington and should get credit for that. I’m sure it helped to play in a lowly SE division during the expansion years but that’s not his fault. I don’t believe that he’ll trade off any young talent again because of the Forsberg blunder.

71. pocession charge says:

Woogie63: Why would Las Vegas pay $500M for a franchise and use the likes of Bolland and Datsyuk to limp to the cap floor.In that town they are going to be entertaining from day one or they will be learning French and complaining about the cold weather in Quebec City.

Crazy owner Foley wants a winner and has given McPhee an unrealistic timeline to build a championship team. They won’t be a dumping ground for too many bad contracts.

72. season not played says:

If people interpret a statement of facts as an assault on Halls character, that in itself is a comment on Halls character.

Thank you.

73. Soup Fascist says:

kgo: Just because you say “full stop” after saying an opinion doesnt make it more true…Or more convincing….Tell me why Fleming is a bad coach for kids…

Example 1: In his first season Fleming had a couple injury issues on a road trip. Rather than increase the minutes for the kids, he brought up his buddy he played with in the minors, then 39 year old David Ling and played him 18 to 20 minutes while letting Oiler players rot on the bench. Why?

Fleming has not developed young guys. No one in the lineup regularly today have been as the result of Fleming’s tutelage with the possible exception of Slepy. Is that all on Fleming maybe not. But the minutes he plays veterans with zero shot of an NHL career is alarming. Feel free to disagree.

74. Confused says:

Oil2Oilers,

Perhaps we can throw together a

Davidson ,+
    Edit plus Beck
    For

Vanek or jurco and Sproul

Deal

75. N64 says:

Vegas can register deals to leave a player untouched. That could be very lucrative for them. Presumably nearly 2/3 of their actual picks are forwards. They could make a deal not to pick a D (or G) with the majority of teams.

Any team that makes that deal to keep an unprotected 4th D ends up with extra forwards protected . In those cases Vegas should expect to get back UP TO the marginal difference between the player picked and the forward not picked. That’s potentially quite a few deals. Some with very motivated teams.

If the next month shows that HE IS emerging Vegas scouts will buy seasons tickets in Bakersfield. If GR demonstrates he is ready he won’t be hidden there and he should be called up. If there ends up being a case for keeping a 4th D the Oil should look at a deal that does that and let’s them protect more forwards.

Small recent samples. We wait.

76. Scungilli says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

Klef-Larsson
    Sekera-Benning
    Russell-Michalek
    Davidson (until he finds his game)

This is exactly the Satherine type of trade that the team needs for the playoffs. A player that fills a specific need in a specific position and can do it better than players on the roster now.

Another is a right shot centre that can play at evens against good players. I don’t see how a player like Spooner helps being left, young and undersized given the Oilers centre group as it’s used.

77. pocession charge says:

New Jersey was called the Angels before Hall was traded there.

78. Chachi says:

pocession charge: Yeah he actually built some pretty decent teams in Washington and should get credit for that.I’m sure it helped to play in a lowly SE division during the expansion years but that’s not his fault.I don’t believe that he’ll trade off any young talent again because of the Forsberg blunder.

You could say he has seen the erat of his ways…

79. Brad says:

digger50: Thank you for the totally unnecessary can of worms. Praising Connor is easy without having to put down someone else. Put Connor in Hall’s shoes in 2010, as good as he is, he would not have been able to carry the franchise.

80. Scungilli says:

who:

People like his size and nastiness. When I see a player that size I think slow. The Oilers have enough giant slow forwards for a game that gets faster every season. To be forward thinking the size of NHL players will decrease to accommodate quickness until the next about face in how the league structures the game.

81. LadiesloveSmid says:

is Z Michalek any better than Fayne?

82. frjohnk says:

pocession charge:
    New Jersey was called the Angels before Hall was traded there.

Fits in line with the other “statement of facts”

83. Yegfoundation says:

Off topic request for guidance, with your permission LT.

I have a small, successful foundation repair business, and I’ve be using a website I built myself through software provided by Go Daddy. I’d like to explore the possibility of a more professional website to support the brand of my company.

Are there folks on this fine blog that would have experience to share with me on this topic.

Many thanks.

Jim

84. Scungilli says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    who,

Friedman reported Chayka asked the Habs for McCarron and two 1sts for Hanzal.

Of course that is ridiculous.

85. pocession charge says:

Chachi: You could say he has seen the erat of his ways…

He now has better Fors-sight….

86. N64 says:

Scungilli: I hope Chayka keeps it up. He won’t be able to make a decent trade soon other than for cap taking deals. The circle he travels in is kind of, cliquey. That proposition verges on insulting.

Trade offer reports and assessing GMs. Absolutely no room for condemnation bias there. 😉

87. Scungilli says:

N64: Trade offer reports and assessing GM’s. Absolutely no room for condemnation bias there.

Truth, depending on the source. Everybody here is golden, right? 🙂

88. letmycamerongo says:

I’m not as worried about the defense for a playoff run as I am the 3rd line. We can’t leave Lucic to play with tweeners. We have to get value out of him. If there was anyway to get Boone Jenner and Craig Smith with some retained salary, I think we could potentially have a deep run caliber team.

It’d look something like this:

Maroon McDavid Drai
    Pouliot Nuge Ebs
    Lucic Jenner Smith
    Hendricks Letestu Kassian

That’s a pretty dangerous group. We could then leave Smith unprotected in hopes that Vegas takes him and the contract off our hands, and stays away from young cheap defensemen (Davidson).

We’d have to move some contract to do it. Lander perhaps, maybe Hendricks as well, but if we could, whoa buddy.

89. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Scungilli: Truth, depending on the source. Everybody here is golden, right?

fits with the other “statement of facts.”

we have alternative facts on that.

90. Georges says:

frjohnk,

You mentioned a while back that you reconstructed offensive danger shot rates from the corsica goalie data by matching game dates with schedules to figure out the goalie’s opponents. I looked into it last night and I built a spreadsheet that simplifies this. Now it’s just a matter of pulling goalie data from corsica and copying and pasting. The schedule data comes from hockey reference so you can use the spreadsheet for prior years as well.

I’m not sure if you’re doing this manually. If you are, I’d be happy to upload the spreadsheet for you to use as well. Let me know. And thank you for the good advice!

91. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

letmycamerongo,

I have seen Jenner’s name tossed around a lot. Why would CBJ be sellers? Yes, yes, they have to protect some bad players due to NMCs, but that team has 0 playoff wins in franchise history. Probably more important for them to go for it this year for their fanbase. They can think of Jenner as a zero-cost to acquire rental for their playoff run, and/or deal him in the offseason if need be.

92. Scungilli says:

I don’t think wingers have a big impact on the game. Like in football, everybody sees the running backs and receivers when they play well, but the game hinges on how the lines play, and then the QB.

Hockey is G, D, C, W.

My point being another winger isn’t going to make a big difference to the team’s strength when it lacks an experienced 2C/3C and a good and experienced 2 RD. Backup is a concern but less so, we don’t know how the available options will perform. We do know how the positions mentioned are performing.

I’ll be disappointed if they give up much for something that doesn’t make a real difference. We’ve suffered enough of that from this team in the last 10 years. Impress us please. I believe they can make a run with the right moves, based on the volatility we’re seeing lately from the good teams game to game. It’s up for grabs, and Connor makes everything possible.

93. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Yegfoundation,

Hi Jim, a lot depends on various things you need for your business, e.g. e-commerce capability etc.

Wix, Squarespace, WordPress have templates you can work off of. LT’s site uses WordPress, for example.

Or, you can have a custom job done by independent computer programmers all around the country. Lots of them are looking for work and are very talented.

For the Gentleman Backpacker, I use a customized WordPress site, using WPEngine to host, which is pretty robust, and GoDaddy for the domain only.

For my photo portfolio website, I decided on a full, custom job with my own unique back-end and parameters I can fully customize. I like this lean, clean site for minimal text and clean presentation of photos, but for text-heavy use WordPress is pretty good.

The cost to do either properly (if you need help in coding) is about the same so it’s up to you and what you would feel most comfortable with.

94. frjohnk says:

Georges:
    frjohnk,

That would be fantastic. Thank you.

I have been wondering if there is a way to get all the data on a spreadsheet (s) and then maybe use something like a pivot table and somehow put it all together. I can easily get the data for all the shots from the low, medium and high danger areas against, but to do the ” for” shots its all manually.

My job has nothing to do with computers/spreadsheets so Im self taught in this area, and for some of the work Ive done, thank Gord for youtube!

I wont be posting much over the next while as Im going on a holiday but will lurking.

95. letmycamerongo says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    letmycamerongo,

Totally agree, Jenner is probably the pipe dream portion of that scenario. Ryan Strome is also an option. I just don’t like him as much, at least not as centering a powerful third line. You could run Smith in the center instead, with Lucic and Strome on his wings. I don’t hate that either.

96. N64 says:

season not played:

Thank you.

My only question counsellor is where is “Steve Smith” with a setup like that.

97. russ99 says:

I like Caggiula on that third line – as a left winger with that new 2-way center. Find someone to take Pouliot (pump and dump) and put Lucic with RNH and Eberle. Eventually Lucic-Draisaitl will be a fantastic cycle pair on the second line with a new right shot RW, but Drai is too valuable with Connor to move back to center this year.

Keep Puljujarvi in Bakersfield until he rediscovers his goal-scoring touch on the smaller ice surface against a North American pressure defense.

In your AHL series on the other site, I really like JT Compher as a Hendricks replacement, seems like he’s cut from the same cloth.

As with all our moves this deadline, we need to think defense and offense. If we make moves just for offense and mess up the defensive balance, we could go backwards not forwards.

98. Georges says:

frjohnk,

Here you go. Let me know if you have any questions.

*edit: Have fun in Disneyland!

99. Rocknrolla says:

season not played:

The guy is a captain, thru and thru.

All great points….shows that it is a sum of all the parts of what has been changed that has shaped this team. They are definitely a tem now, and with connor and lucic as the leaders, lookout. So excited to see how they fare in the first round….I can see them making some hay.

100. Younger Oil says:

I wasn’t aware that Eberle is now playing for St. Louis.

101. Rocknrolla says:

Here’s a thought….

What about the vet 3C being Letestu?

Take a look at the scoring and face offs this year and he’s right up there…move him up to play with Looch and Sleppy.

Then you go with Lander or JJ as 4C….add scoring winger like vanek at the deadline.

Is that something that should be considered?

102. frjohnk says:

Georges:
    frjohnk,

Here you go. Let me know if you have any questions.

*edit: Have fun in Disneyland!

Fantastic. Thanks. I owe you big time.

Wife is giving me shit as I should be packing right now.

But Im gonna run a few numbers cause it will bug me if I dont.

103. treevojo says:

frjohnk,

Hey I’m not sure if you bought your tickets yet but I would check out seat geek.com.

I used them last year for a game in Florida. I think there fees were a little cheaper then stubhub as well.

I had a quick look and saw some pretty good seats lower bowl in the 50s range.

I wouldn’t worry to much about the exact seats just the section. I am pretty sure for a game against the worst team in the league on a Tuesday night once you get into your lower bowl you will have the pick of the litter for seats available.

I could be wrong but that’s the way it worked out for me on Monday night game in sunrise last year.

104. Confused says:

Rocknrolla,

Do not think test can handle the minutes, but we could give JJ a trial

Locch. JJ Kass (heavy line)

Cags test slepy (a faster line)

105. Scungilli says:

Rocknrolla:
    Here’s a thought….

What about the vet 3C being Letestu?

Is that something that should be considered?

When he was given the TOI he didn’t do well IIRC. He’s much better at 4th line TOI.

106. Scungilli says:

Confused:
    Rocknrolla,

Do not think test can handle the minutes, but we could give JJ a trial

Locch. JJKass (heavy line)

Cags test slepy (a faster line)

The issue to me isn’t a lack of centres, it’s a lack of experienced centres. Learning on the job at the NHL level in the playoffs isn’t likely to turn out well. Everybody is giving 100% and it’s a series so coaches can key in on weaknesses.

Maybe Lander with wingers with speed as 3C because he’s the most experienced, ie less likely to make a mistake that ends up in our net.

107. frjohnk says:

treevojo:
    frjohnk,

I had a quick look and saw some pretty good seats lower bowl in the 50s range.

Will check it out. Thanks

108. frjohnk says:

Georges:
    frjohnk,

Here you go. Let me know if you have any questions.

*edit: Have fun in Disneyland!

OK looked at the numbers. There are a few errors. This is not you but corisca, I checked there.
    MIKE.SMITH 1/16/2017 ARI
    JAMES.REIMER 1/18/2017 FLA
    PEKKA.RINNE 1/20/2017 NSH
    BRIAN.ELLIOTT 1/21/2017 CGY
    CHAD.JOHNSON 1/21/2017 CGY
    JOHN.GIBSON 1/25/2017 ANA

These games have no low danger or high danger shots recorded. All are medium danger shots and goals.

But it looks the parameters are the same in regards to shots “for” and “against” for each game even the ones in which are recorded as above so its a wash.

The numbers are showing

-shots from the perimeter
    Oilers get outshot

-shots from the medium danger area
    Oilers outshoot their opponents

-shots from the high danger area
    Oilers outshoot their opponents

Pretty much what I thought, the fancy stats are telling me what my eyes see.

2 years ago, when I did this shot location study, I found that when looking at shots from these areas “for” and “against” that the Oilers were not as bad as what their record showed.

This year, goaltending well above league average + injuries less than league average to impact players + Chia adding a bunch of good NHL players throughout the roster + growth from the young guys= PLAYOFFS

109. N64 says:

frjohnk: 2 years ago, Goaltending absolutely sunk this team. Absofukinglutley sunk the team. All I wanted was league average goaltending. Last year, injuries derailed this team. All I wanted was league average injuries to our impact players.

You do see that with a little more care you could have saved us a year? 😉

110. frjohnk says:

N64: You do see thatwith a little more care you could have saved us a year?

I blame WG’s phone.

Next year I hope for “league average Stanley Cup win”

111. Woogie63 says:

Chachi: You could say he has seen the erat of his ways…

Gene?

112. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

frjohnk,

Nice work, guys. I remember two seasons ago running a rudimentary…what if the Oilers just got league average (.916) goaltending every game that year what would their record be? And it was like an astounding improvement.

Of course, that was very rudimentary indeed.

113. kgo says:

Soup Fascist,

Very strong points, I’m convinced.

114. Woogie63 says:

Can we agree to win play-off games the Oilers will have to elevate there current game?

Rentals are an options.

Moving Driasaitl to our 2C fixes our middle. He has 10 even strength and 9 PP goals.
    So we are finding ways to increase those 10 even strength goals.

Trade for Vanek any play him with McDavid, he is a more pure shooter.
    Second line of Lucic-Driasaitl-Eberle is better than our current second line
    Benning, Klefblom, Davidson, Nurse are in the extreme growing phase of their careers

We find those +10 goals and have 4 legit NHL lines

115. GMB3 says:

godot10: Hall didn’t turtle.It was a one punch fight between a superheavyweight and a star player who doesn’t know how to fight.Kassian clocked him with a left and the fight was over, because the one punch knocked Hall completely off-balance.

Hall took the first punch.That is NOT turtling.

Hahaha you have to be kidding. Hall didn’t have time to get out of the way. I have the screen shot of Hall covering his head with both his hands right as kassian gets in there. That is turtling. Hall was scared for his life after getting extremely cheap and dirty.

116. digger50 says:

Brad: I’m a big fan of Taylor Hall and do not consider him to have ever been a part of the problem. I believe he will be a part of the solution in NJ moving forward as well. That said, Connor McDavid absolutely would have been able to carry this franchise if he was put into Hall’s position. That is not a knock against Hall; 97 is one of the best teenagers of all time.

I understand your point and really no issue, but just in spirit of conversation:

Connor has some serious talent, but he would also have had to play goal and defence to single handedly turn the team around looking back 2010to 2014! There is a lesson here of course, one that the Oilers learned and are now building a team around thier talent.

117. judgedrude says:

My response was to whether LV has to draft minimum salary, which they do. How they do it is there choice. It is just that if they draft a number of up-and-comers with smaller cap hits (Davidson) or those coming off their entry level deals (GR), they will have to balance that off somehow.

I don’t know what they are thinking…I just provided the link to the instructions for the toy.

118. Johnny Larue says:

They have great option right in hand. Lenon aka Lander should be in the lineup, at the beginning of the year when he played our penalty kill was much better, he was great on the face offs and seemed to be starting to get a bite in his game. He has developed a knack of pissing of the opposition and drawing penalties. People return from injuries he gets sent down doesn’t pout but just rips up the AHL. Every where he has ever played he ended up the captain I just don’t get why he doesn’t get a better shot here. Make him the 4th line center or at least put him at the wing for Hendricks

119. Woodguy v2.0 says:

DBO:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Gregor had a good post at ON on vanek. As well as Brian Boyle.

Didn’t see that, will look.

Just saw that Vanek is 3rd in the NHL in Primary Points/60 with 2.43

Crosby is 1 with 2.71

McDavid is 9th with 2.24

120. Woodguy v2.0 says:

I doubt a brand new team re-locates anytime soon.

Carolina however…………… http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/01/28/hurricanes-owner-karmanos-open-to-possibility-of-selling-entire-team-depending-on-offer/

121. flyfish1168 says:

Johnny Larue:
    They have great option right in hand. Lenon aka Lander should be in the lineup, at the beginning of the year when he played our penalty kill was much better, he was great on the face offs and seemed to be starting to get a bite in his game. He has developed a knack of pissing of the opposition and drawing penalties. People return from injuries he gets sent down doesn’t pout but just rips up the AHL.Every where he has ever played he ended up the captain I just don’t get why he doesn’t get a better shot here. Make him the 4th line center or at least put him at the wing for Hendricks

I’m with you. He was also dynamite on the PP for T.Nelson. I’m sure he is in Holland’s ear to get Lander if we let him go.

122. Younger Oil says:

I just saw the Savard spinorama on live TV. That was really cool.

Gimmicky as it is, the NHL is doing a great job this weekend.

123. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

We are assuming Detroit has decided to sell? I would submit we do not yet know. No one is out of the race out East. Thanks, Bettman 😉

124. spoiler says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Move the deadline forward a week?

Edit: ie, closer to the playoffs

125. Cooldude says:

I would bring up Puljujarvi as a RW, he can play now! I like Patrik Burglund, but I general I am against rental buying. I would do a deal involving Nurse for Duchene

126. McJeetz says:

If possible here would be my dream deadline acquisitions

Halak (His career numbers mirror Tal-Bot’s) with 1 mil retailed for a pick or prospect

Jenner +pick for Eberle

Boyle for pick (3rd) (Cagiulla to the AHL to play with PULJUJARVI)

I would stay away from Shattenkirk because of cost of acquisition and if we could resign him we would destroy our cap space.

127. lacking the apathy says:

I would love Boyle as a deadline pickup, but I would also pick up a rw in case of insurance such as Vrbata, or (this is just mostly wishing and thinking he still owes the Oilers) Jagr. Run those two on a line with Lucic, has the potential to raise hell in the playoffs and still leaves us with Slepy and Cags waiting in the wings as insurance. A guy can dream. Any thoughts?

128. Stelio Kontos says:

Been sporadic in commenting, so sorry if I missed it, but Vlad Tkachev is killing the KHL at age 20.

129. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

spoiler,

Unless they change up the point system I am not sure what they can do about that (and now I am flogging a dead horse).

But look at wild card through last place in the East. Everyone is in it.

130. theres oil in virginia says:

I remember the “good” ole days when the all-star break was a relief.

131. N64 says:

Woodguy v2.0: He’d fit in nicely on 97’s wing and free up 25 to help drive 93’s line or his own line.

If @drtwofive ends up at centre blame Woodguy’s Phone 😉

132. Ice Sage says:

leadfarmer:
    I wonder what vrbata would cost?Might be even interested signing at a reasonable price in offseason

Vrbata “could” allow Dr Drai to become 3C (but retain PP1 duties with McJesus et al).
    Vrbata’s chem with younger Sedins shows he has the intuition to play with genius.
    Price?

133. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Ice Sage,

Yes, this has been suggested by several posters many times for these exact reasons. It seems Chayka’s asking prices are very high right now.

134. YKOil says:

Arizona could go 4/4/1 without even blinking so the question becomes – is this a good year to dangle a conditional 1st and ‘x’ for Rieder and Michalek? What would ‘x’ be?

Of course, given Arizona can go 4/4/1 maybe the trade is Davidson and a 3rd?

I also think Rieder is a Pisani-type and think he would solve a LOT of issues on RW.

Of couse, come 2018 the Oilers have to find money for two ‘3rd to 1st’ line types and both will want $3.5 million or more a year so….