SHARP EDGE OF A RAZOR

Over the last few days, I have suggested Peter Chiarelli must attempt to serve two masters in 2017. First, he is required to continue building the NHL group, in an effort to bring Stanley home for a visit, after so many years deep in enemy territory. Second, he must continue to build the farm system and have a steady supply of prospects coming up through the draft.

That second item seems to be a sticking point with some, so I wanted to roll out the 50-man roster and where this spaceship is heading. To be clear: I maintain the Oilers are badly deficient in prospects throughout the system, and that need—that fuel—is vital to long-term success.

WHERE ARE WE NOW?

This is us. Many of the players on this list (51 deep, but three are slide rules) will not return. Any of us can go through this exercise, but since I am here let me do it and we can argue after the fact.

LEAVING

• Goalies—Jonas Gustavsson, Eetu Laurikainen.
  • Defensemen—Andrew Ference, Mark Fraser, David Musil, Eric Gryba.
  • Centers—Jere Sallinen, Bogdan Yakimov, Zach Pochiro.
  • Left Wing—Matt Hendricks, Mitchell Moroz.
  • Right Wing—Iiro Pakarinen, Taylor Beck.

Once again, your mileage may vary, and I expect we will have disagreements here and there. Bottom line: I have identified a baker’s dozen from the 51, and that will give the general manager some room to wheel in the offseason.

ARRIVING

• Defense: Kris Russell, William Lagesson
  • Center: Tyler Vesel

Edmonton has precious few players in the system who are eligible to sign, I have chosen three to represent early spring. College signings may also happen as well, but it seems a stretch to list someone at this time. Among those in the Oilers umbrella who I passed over at goalie Miroslav Svoboda plus defenders Ziyat Paigin and Filip Berglund. We can chat about those decisions for sure, but I do expect Kris Russell gets signed.

PROJECTED SPRING 50-MAN

It is now April. Flowers are in bloom, I am wearing shorts in public and the neighbors are calling the authorities to complain that I am wearing shorts in public.

• Goaltending will have more answers, either from a strong showing by Laurent Brossoit or a deadline acquisition to discuss as a possible long-term answer.
  • Kris Russell is likely to be signed and Edmonton would have a reasonable group of NHL defenders, enough even to overcome the expansion loss of Brandon Davidson or Griffin Reinhart. No stud No. 1, unless an internal option reveals himself.
  • Center is strong if you include Leon, and that may be the case in 2017-18. I added Tyler Vesel based on his strong season, should mention no evidence of his signing has presented itself.
  • The wingers may get some help from the minors (Khaira, etc) and that is a good sign. More is needed, as history tells us that not every prospect becomes an NHL player, but there is some progress here. We can hope for a spike in the final 30 games (AHL) from names like Kyle Platzer and Greg Chase.

The work I did on the Winter Top 20 really informed me about the urgency in procurement here. I don’t think Edmonton can afford to trade this year’s first-round selection at the deadline—unless the player acquired is under control for some extended time.

Which is not to say that the current procurement is not showing progress. In fact, I do think Edmonton’s AHL team is producing talent with some promise. As an example, here are the current NHLE’s for Bakersfield and Stockton. Which group would you rather have?

Bakersfield Condors

5. R Daniel Pribyl 23
  6. RD Rasmus Andersson 19
  7. LD Brett Kulak 18
  8. C Emile Poirier 17
  9. LD Oliver Kylington 16
  10. L Ryan Lomberg 15

Now, I cheated a little, Jesse Puljujarvi hasn’t played 10 games down there and Slepyshev has been in Bakersfield for less than 10 games as well. Still, Jujhar Khaira has developed in Bakersfield and Slepyshev has done some good things, too. Jordan Oesterle may have an NHL career, and maybe one of these other kids has a run in the second half. Griffin Reinhart remains a player on a journey, recent days have been encouraging and you never know.

Bottom line for me is this: Peter Chiarelli’s acquisitions this trade deadline should include a second-round pick in 2017, and the assets heading out cannot include the first rounder this summer. Simply not enough talent bubbling under to trade those precious assets.

CHIARELLI’S TRADED DRAFT PICKS AS OILERS GENERAL MANAGER

• 2015—Traded Picks No. 16 (C Mathew Barzal) and No. 33 (C Mitchell Stephens) for D Griffin Reinhart.
  • 2015—Traded Picks No. 57 (D Jonas Siegenthaler), No. 79 (Sergey Zborovskiy) and No. 184 (G Adam Huska) for G Cam Talbot and No. 209 (Ziyat Paigin) overall
  • 2015—Traded D Martin Marincin for Pick No. 107 (F Christian Wolanin) and Brad Ross; Traded Pick No. 107 and F Travis Ewanyk for D Eric Gryba.
  • 2016—Traded Phil Larsen to Vancouver for 2017 fifth-round pick.
  • 2016—Traded Teddy Purcell to Florida for No. 84 overall (Matthew Cairns) in 2016 draft.
  • 2016—Traded Justin Schultz to Pittsburgh for No. 91 overall (Filip Berglund) in 2016 draft.
  • 2016—Traded Anders Nilsson to St. Louis for Niklas Lundstrom and No. 149 overall (Graham McPhee) in 2016 draft.
  • 2016—Traded Martin Gernat and No. 93 overall (Jack Kopacka) in 2016 draft to Anaheim for L Patrick Maroon.

Peter Chiarelli has improved the NHL team, but there is a real need to replenish the system. College signings will help, but this team needs draft picks and also needs to use them well. A big summer ahead.

77 Responses to "SHARP EDGE OF A RAZOR"

1. OwenCooper says:

LT – neither of those AHL prospect lists are overwhelming. It’s early however I would think that Puljujarvi should have the best career of either group. I also see Caleb Jones and Ethan Bear being added to the Bakersfield roster next year but not much else. Who does Calgary have in their pipeline especially from the 2015 draft?

2. RedArmy says:

Hey Lowetide, Would a Pouliot and Davidson to Colorado for Soderberg and Iginla deal make you happy or mad?

OwenCooper:

Most of the 2015 draft is already in their system. Flames 2016 draft is going to be a dandy, Tkachuk in the NHL and several nice players on the way

RedArmy:

Not for me. I really like Iginla’s career but it looks like he is too slow to get there now. Shame.

5. Klima's_Bucket says:

Does replenishing the prospect list have as much precedence if Chiarelli is able to sign a college free agent or two each year while also getting veterans to sign on for cheap to ride the McDavid train?

6. oilcanharry says:

I think the SS Jarome Iginla sailed past Edmonton a season or two ago. This team has speed, and needs more. Jarome can stand there and poke the puck in on the power play, but so can a bunch of existing Oilers.

If we’re adding a forward at the deadline, let it be someone who can fill a need. Faceoffs, C with size, RW who can skate and score, etc.

7. Confused says:

Klima’s_Bucket,

College men have hidden costs, such as the promise of guaranteed games. So how many empty slots do we have next year?

Klima’s_Bucket:

The problem is that you are giving at-bats to those kids in the NHL. Edmonton has two this season (Benning, Caggiula), but next year the expectation will be that they have more of a veteran club. I like signing college free agents, but giving them at-bats in the NHL isn’t something a truly contending team should entertain imo.

Edit to add: Confused answered this quicker and better.

9. Centre of attention says:

Plus College free agent ELC’s are usually shorter, and Edmonton needs to have some long term seeds sown over the next few drafts.

Those slide rules come in handy years later when you end up moving picks for immediate help during the contending window. Having a fistful of prospects ready to turn pro is always a good thing.

10. Jordan says:

LT, while I respect the point you are making about the weakness of the farm team and the lack of depth in the AHL, you are also excluding a lot of strong draft picks and prospects.

On goalering, the Oile have 3 reasonable bets to have NHL time – any one could be a starter.

On D, the leftorium has some quality, and balance is returning. Ziyat Paygin and Phil Berglund remain quality european options.

Their Center depth prospect wise is not so great, and neither is their RW. LW has more options, but also not of high calibre.

Weak forward prospects? Sure. Better that then the D and G – the Oilers have some of the deepest NHL F depth in the league. And their 3rd and 4th lines are winning them games as a result.

I will not disagree that they need to re-stock the shelves, especially with scorers. However, the Oilers also have a lot of depth picks in this draft, which can be used to trade up, or pick some high offense forwards and hope one develops.

I am not convinced another 2nd is as big a concern as you do. Especially considering the Oilers 2nd round picks seem to have bad luck. Lander and Pitlick have been their most successful 2nd in a decade, and neither have been big wins. Fringe players so far at best. Better than Laraque (1995), Semenov (1999), Stoll or Greene (2002) or Petry (2005)? Nope.

I don’t disagree that they have better shots at getting a higher end player with picks 32-63, but I’m not convinced that’s more important than more bullets period. If it were me, I’d be talking to McPhee about getting some picks from LV for Ebs, and an agreement to pick Pouliot in the expansion draft. Real cap relief and draft picks for tow players who could give that team some skill up front.

But, that’s just me – I’d be looking hard at how to get LV to take salary without taking any back – Expansion is the only time that the cap grows by more than an inflationary function. There is real new money here, and a smart GM would leverage the shit out of it.

11. PhrankLee says:

Man.

This prospect issue looms larger and larger on the horizon for this team.

Great article, LT. It’s truly a blessing to be talking about the draft at a respectable time!!

It’s Feb and we are in the hunt 2017!

12. OwenCooper says:

Yes it looks that way. With Leon getting his second contract after this season and Conner after next season some contracts have to be sent away within that time frame. We need a few of our prospects to be ready to make the jump to the big club and be effective. I don’t think we will see Pouliot or Eberle here after next season at the latest.

13. Dennis King says:

LHD grow on trees.

The Oilers system is thinner than your mother-in-law’s gravvy?

Why should the Oilers sign Kris Russell instead of flipping him at the deadline for a draft pick?

Dennis King:

They should, as I mentioned here

They won’t, as you know.

15. Dennis King says:

Did you ever watch “The Shield?” The writers would paint the characters in a corner and then challenge themselves to get them out of it in a plausible fashion.

Chiarelli would be doing the same if he signed a LHD who depresses offense so well it’s almost like the forward pass been eliminated.

16. jm363561 says:

The Oilers are a young team with a young core locked up for some time (or should be soon) – McDavid, JP, Draisatl, the Volvos, Benning, Nurse, maybe Caggiula . Sekera and Lucic are also here long term. While drafting and developing good players is a key process for any club I do not see it is a being urgent just yet. Wing and bottom six are the weak spots – they can be obtained reasonably easily and cheaply.

17. jm363561 says:

I believe it was Woodguy who first mentioned college pick ups often negotiate a minimum number of games to be played – quite a gamble. This explained the mystery of Caggiula remaining in the team.I would love to know how many games he and Benning were guaranteed.

18. Dennis King says:

Lucic being here – and especially at that AAV and term – isn’t a positive. It would be nice to augment the guys already getting paid with a bunch of picks or prospects that might be able to contribute on the relative cheap.

Signing Russell, when the Oilers already have 77-2-25 in-house on the left side, would be the heights of stupidity.

Signing Russell back in the fall for one year when no one else wanted him wasn’t a bad move at all. Misunderstanding his worth and ability and re-inking him would be a mistake

Dennis King:

Chiarelliwould be doing the same if he signed a LHD who depresses offense so well it’s almost like the forward pass been eliminated.

20. Dennis King says:

I shit on the Oilers more than most but I think they might have gotten caught in-between with 36. He showed very well in camp and had seemingly earned a top nine gig but then he gets hurt and it’s 20 games before he can play again and by the time he’s ready, who could really play above him? Lander? Perhaps. Young 98 is already going through his own growing pains.

36 has terrible EV numbers but the Oilers are so thin that, yes, perhaps he’s sticking in the bigs because he was given assurances or perhaps he’s sticking because Taylor Beck can’t hit offspeed stuff

jm363561:
    The Oilers are a young team with a young core locked up for some time (or should be soon) – McDavid, JP, Draisatl, the Volvos, Benning, Nurse, maybe Caggiula . Sekera and Lucic are also here long term. While drafting and developing good players is a key process for any club I do not see it is a being urgent just yet. Wing and bottom six are the weak spots – they can be obtained reasonably easily.

You need inexpensive contracts filled by effective players beginning yesterday. This is a big damned deal, and trades involving the 2014 and 2015 drafts have impacted Edmonton’s available talent.

22. Dennis King says:

Lowetide: I am surprised you are using the word if here, you and I have both watched this team forever. I think signing Russell is a foregone conclusion.

Normally, the Oilers would sign and ask questions later(FERENCE) but with 29 and 97 up for raises, Russell could legit ask for enough that the Oilers might have to say nyet

Dennis King: I am using “If” because perhaps it’s because of the upcoming waiver draft, but every day he isn’t signed gives me hope that he might save the Oilers from themselves by asking for too much money.

24. Dennis King says:

Lowetide: Dennis, you have more faith in the Oilers than I do. Russell will sign a three-year deal for $4 million a year in the cigar room during the moments following the LV expansion draft.

Probably, yeah.

But the Oilers are playing Russell so much that I hope he winds up with a ridiculous sense of worth

25. Woogie63 says:

What is the perfect make up for an NHL franchise?

On the NHL team
    23 NHL ready players

On the AHL team
    3 players that are ready to “contribute” to the NHL team now
    4 players that could be call up to “help” in a role for 10-15 games
    7 players that are learning the pro game and NEXT year will be a helper or a contributor NEXT year

In the U20 leagues
    4-5 players that will be a learning or contributors at the AHL level

In College leagues
    2-3 players that are 1-3 years away from the NHL or the AHL contributor” role

45 NHL contracts that are consistently evolving.

26. Jethro Tull says:

Hmmmm….”vital to long term success.”

Well, here’s the fly in the ointment; you have to first achieve any kind of succuss before you can think of making it sustainable. This is very basic horse before the cart stuff.

I can just imagine Chia standing in front of the press saying “well, we decided not to go for a cup after making the playoffs for the first time in ten years and decided to trade out some vets to restock the Condors in order to sustain the Oilers in our guaranteed future Stanley cup victories. In another ten years. When McDavid is past his prime.”

Remember the presser MacT had days before his firing as GM? Yeah, i doubt Chia would even finishbhis sentence before his phone started going.

Dennis King: Probably, yeah.

Ideally, Calgary comes over the top. That would be very good.

28. Dennis King says:

Jethro Tull:
    Hmmmm….”vital to long term success.”

I’m sure he’d be fine

29. Dennis King says:

Lowetide: Ideally, Calgary comes over the top. That would be very good.

You know…….yeah, I think that could happen ie they’ve got some of their bottom pairing stupes coming off the books, right? And they did love him……

Jethro Tull:
    Hmmmm….”vital to long term success.”

The Oilers did in fact put the cart before the horse when signing Milan Lucic. If he fails, and that could happen, Edmonton will need to scramble for some help there. If Tyler Benson is healthy in Vancouver next season, and Slepyshev continues to develop, and Khaira moves a little more, then we have some options.

Now. How many of those men are going to score 20 goals a year in the NHL? For sure? It’s like the Ference signing, only moved back from 31 to 28. You simply have to be adding possible solutions, and the Oilers really haven’t done that for some time on the wings.

31. theDjdj says:

RedArmy:

Avs are in a situation where they’re hard up against the cap and yet still woeful. I think we’d do them a favour by taking the under-perfoming Soderberg off their books. Think Patroon Maroon type deal. Send them Oesterle, a lower round draft pick and ask they eat half Soderbergs salary and I think they do it.

32. Scungilli says:

I am so curious as to why with a complete management overhaul the Oilers seem to be leaning toward the same mistakes that brought Connor. Thank You Gords.

I have seen how McLelland managed talent at the WHC. He is not without subtlety. Certainly Russell has helped a lot when compared to last year’s rookie and injury show. Certainly there are better players than Russell at RD, especially above 3rd pair.

After this year I can’t find a reason to sign him above 1M, for depth. There will be options, more effective options.

EDIT: thanks for Connor – not the rest

33. spoiler says:

That gives us three 2nds… one obviously goes to Cam Needledick. One kept for drafting.

That leaves a 2nd and three 3rds to play around with at the deadline. Plus Davidson and sundry goods.

Should be able to come out of the deadline with a full slate of seven picks, albeit no 1st, while still filling holes.

34. Jethro Tull says:

Perspective is everything. A lot of these problems will only be problems if we succeed. If we don’t, then the problems will be bigger than the lack of AHL prospects. It would mean the McDavid era would have failed completely.

Winning covers a lot of warts, just ask Chicago. Crawford, Seabrook, Keith, Toews, Kane, Hossa. The rest are bit parts and prospects allowed soft minutes because the heavy lifting is done by the afore mentioned. So in a way, Chicago could develop players in the NHL athen trade them out before paying them. I suspect at least 5 of these will be in the HHoF.

Talbot, x, x, McDavid, Draisaitl, x, x. That’s what we have at the moment. Maybe Nurse gets in there. Maybe Maroon.

I guess what I’m trying and probably failing to say is that worrying about the lack of quality prospects for 3 years down the line for things that are as likely to happen as not is like worrying if you left the bath tap running as you drift away from the Titanic in a lifeboat. The better the NHL team gets, so the rest will follow.

35. flyfish1168 says:

I agree we need draft picks or ELC players from other teams as return. I would trade Hendricks for and BP At this point Khaira, Jesse or Lander can easily replace them

36. JDï™ says:

I don’t know anything about expected +/- as a stat, but in looking at the results I’m inclined to believe in it:

37. Scungilli says:

flyfish1168:
    I agree we need draft picks or ELC players from other teams as return. I would trade Hendricks for and BPAt this point Khaira, Jesse or Lander can easily replace them

In a short run full of 150% motivation, experience can mean a lot.

It all comes to when the chips are down. In Oiler history this has played out a lot. For example Glenn Anderson was a monster in the playoffs even as reg season tapered off. Even with the Rangers. If there was playoff clutch in the modern era, Anderson’s playoff work trumped his reg season work.

38. theDjdj says:

Lowetide, what is your opinion of trading our first pick down to two seconds from Toronto? Is the prospect pool inside 50 deep enough? Is it a good move?

I’ve always wondered to what extent your draft order dictates finding successful NHL players. Ignoring other variables, is it wiser to diversify your chance of success by holding more tickets? Or is the wisdom and skill of the scouts worth taking the one shot at their preferred candidate.

Wonder what the stat guys think. Sorting skill from chance is kinda what y’all love to do.

39. Pouzar says:

spoiler: If we need currency to be Playaz at the deadline, trade the 1st rounder now to TB for their two 2nds. MTL, PHI, PIT, CGY, and TOR also have two 2nds.

The Carlo/Ek trade really hurt.

40. spoiler says:

Pouzar: I think the trade down has a very decent chance of happening unless someone they love falls in their lap.

Agreed, but I mean now, before the draft and its lucky lapdances.

41. flyfish1168 says:

Scungilli: So the tricky thing is that yes, at current play this season BP and Hendy could be replaced. But what about playoffs?

In a short run full of 150% motivation, experience can mean a lot.

I agree with you experience means something.Not trying to down play there importance to the team. But BP or Hendricks offer zero recent playoff experience. Neither player would be missed greatly if they were not in the lineup. Khaira and Lander has more recent playoff experience even though it was in the AHL. JMHO

42. LadiesloveSmid says:

JDï™:

I would love Perreault as a deadline acquisition. Great 3C.

Weird that Klefbom-Larsson show so well and Sekera-Benning really poorly

43. Pouzar says:

spoiler: Agreed, but I mean now, before the draft and its lucky lapdances.

Gotcha.

44. Pouzar says:

LadiesloveSmid: I would love Perreault as a deadline acquisition. Great 3C.

Weird that Klefbom-Larsson show so well and Sekera-Benning really poorly

I think they protect him so he won’t be available but he would be an ideal 3rd liner.

45. Derek says:

JDï™:

I like where Connor and Leon are for the forwards, i’m not sure about Larsson-Klefbom being top 30 in the NHL while Sekera, Benning, and Nurse are bottom 30 though.

46. OilClog says:

Lost in all this is players around the league watching Mcdavid come into his own.. That will produce value contracts down the line. Very few teams around the league will have a winning appeal that outshines 97.. Between cup chances or stat boosting for a bigger pay day..

College players are smart, they look Cags, Benning, even Schultz and know there’s a chance for it all in Edmonton. That will produce more value contracts, with easily less risk then anything the Oilers typically produce outside of the 1st round.

Selling players the Oilers need for the playoff drive, first one in 10 years for more duck quack futures that the Oilers don’t produce! Seems batshit crazy. The Oilers finally have some D depth, break it up for future depth? Hmmmm

My money is on Gryba staying put, Chia letting Russell walk while he grabs another left out to dry but better then perceived defender out there.

Besides the fact is Russell for 3 or 4 million for 3 or 4 years is nothing compared to Nikitin or the ever beloved Mark Fayne.. Jesus what a awful signing. Would also be nothing compared to Ference or the Whitney or the Souray debacle.

47. Bruce Wayne says:

Dennis King: he showed up in a track suit after he traded Taylor Hall for a defensive defenseman.

I’m sure he’d be fine

Instant classic.

theDjdj:

It makes sense depending on what the value is on the draft board at 45, 60 and 80. I don’t know that to be the case, but we should know more as the weeks roll along.

49. theDjdj says:

Lowetide: It makes sense depending on what the value is on the draft board at 45, 60 and 80. I don’t know that to be the case but we should know more as the weeks roll along.

It still smarts that we need to surrender a 2nd rounder as payment for hiring an unemployed man. Out of all the things that make the least sense in the NHL, this one makes the leastest.

50. Ice Sage says:

What’s the opposite of a nadir?

For the first time in a generation, I really don’t think they can fV<k this up this time. Good on ya, proud franchise!

51. slopitch says:

The time to sell players for picks is after the McDavid elc is over and we have a hopefully long ass playoff run. I don’t think this is the year to go for it either. Everything must align with going for it next year. If Hanzal will extend, sure. But I think there are still value buys out there from teams wanting to ditch contracts. Montreal has done a good job of this. Chair did well with maroon.

52. Primetime says:

Jordan:

But, that’s just me – I’d be looking hard at how to get LV to take salary without taking any back – Expansion is the only time that the cap grows by more than an inflationary function.There is real new money here, and a smart GM would leverage the shit out of it.

This line just grabbed my attention…is this true? I always had the understanding that expansion fees were not part of the salary cap calculation as it was not generated by playing hockey. I thought this is why the owners prefer this to relocation as the money goes straight in their pockets. Even once Vegas starts making money it is not going to be that profitable and the revenue now gets split into one more team, thus potentially lowering the cap. However, I could be entirely mistaken on that…does anyone have knowledge on this topic?

This is an older article and entirely speculative but goes with what I had understood:

53. slopitch says:

I’d like to know what Chicago promised Panarin to sign. Maybe they knew he was legit but wouldn’t the rest of the NHL by then? Can’t think they would have promised him minutes on a contender.

54. Primetime says:

In a short run full of 150% motivation, experience can mean a lot.

I may be reading this wrong, but you didn’t just compare Hendy’s potential value to a playoff run this year to HHOF’er Glenn Anderson’s legendary ability to elevate in the playoffs? Maybe you were just referencing effort level, but Andy averaged 35-40 goals a year while sleepwalking through the regular season…I think underlying talent had a bigger factor in his ability to take over playoff games…

55. Pouzar says:

slopitch:

I read somewhere upwards of 20 NHL teams made a pitch. He was well known.

56. oilersfan says:

I have to post after reading the comments today. How can all you smart people not see how overrated the draft is outside the first round? How many second round picks ever make the nhl as a top 9 winger or top 4 dman? I believe 25% make the nhl at all , with some minimum game threshold of 200 . But of those how many are top nine wingers or top 4 dmen…. The oilers have what seems like dozens of prospect defense men that may one day be bottom pairing type, and every year on August 1 there are about 20 with 200 nhl games experience available for league minimum. The oilers don’t currently have a Bunch of forward prospects but why do they need them? Check the waiver wire after training camp or again the free agency bargain bin on August 1 and once again you will find a dozen or so players more than capable of playing fourth line minutes as good as 90% of the Mitch Moroz, Curtis Hamilton , or Ryan Martindale type players. Go one step further and look at the middle to late round failures of the oilers and other clubs. The Ryan O”Marras, the Alex Plantes the Magnus PaajArvi’s. Last year a 27 year old former sixth overall pick with .7 ppg in the nhl was available for league minimum. Sam Gagner on July 10 would have been a better “free draft pick” than 99% of the players picked outside of the top 15 for the last 10 and likely the next 10 years.

Next July a former first overall pick will be available for league minimum and I bet no nhl teams sign him, but for some reason will value a second round pick with less than a point per game in the ohl will be perceived as being more important despite having about a 5% chance of ever being a top 9 nhl players.

This myth of the importance of “stocking the prospect cupboard” so the oilers or other nhl teams’ fans can navel gaze at these players who will Most likely not play any more games in the nhl than Cody Wild or MIchael Heinrich, and if they do will more than likely have the nhl impact more like Alex plante or Nik Stajduhar (yes one of the three first round picks the oilers received for Wayne Gretzky) needs to be challenged and debated.

For a blog where the comment section was mad for two years about trading Dustin Penner for “magic beans” we certainly have an inconsistent opinion about giving up real , proven current nhl players for a non stop cycle of low probability second round or lower draft picks and forget that even mid first rounders like Colten teubert, Alex plante, Robert Nilsson and Ryan O Marra were all waived through the league under the age of 25 and never heard from again.

Frankly it would be nice to get other teams ‘ ufa’s for nothing and I would rather have them and the picks, but if I can’t have both I would rather get the rights to an affordable late 20’s player for a first rounder than wait five years to see a riley Nash either walk away like he did or come to play at a decidedly mediocre rate.

I think the owner of the blog, who I think is a smart man and a wonderful person, should re think his overvaluation of draft picks and prospects to fill the cupboards and provide cheap bottom of the roster players on cheap entry level deals compared to proven players who are available for just as cheap every year in mid July. I suspect the oilers late first round pick this year will most likely not make the nhl as a regular and I would rather be the team trading magic beans for players than the other way around.

I am surprised at the short memories of so many here who hated the Penner trade but are now giving mid round picks a value they certainly didn’t have in anyone’s minds in 2011.

And after all the names I dropped of mediocre to bad middle to late first round picks one would
    Be remiss not to mention Marc Pouliot. Even in the best draft class in 20 years we can count on the oilers to find the worst player in the first round.

Sorry for poor grammar I am typing on my iPhone. Wish I had woodguys blackberry they type way better.

57. HT Joe says:

oilersfan:

Yeah, but are there cheap players out there who weren’t previously ruined by the Oilers?
    /s

58. Pescador says:

oilersfan:

This myth of the importance of “stocking the prospect cupboard” so the oilers or other nhl teams’ fans can navel gaze at these players who will Most likely not play any more games in the nhl than Cody Wild or MIchael Heinrich, and if they do will more than likely have the nhl impact more like Alex plante or Nik Stajduhar (yes one of the three first roundpicks the oilers received for Wayne Gretzky) needs to be challenged and debated.

I think the owner of the blog, who I think is a smart man and a wonderful person, should re think his overvaluation of draft picks and prospects to fill the cupboards and provide cheap bottom of the roster players on cheap entry level dealscompared to proven players who are available for just as cheap every year in mid July. I suspect the oilers late first round pick this year will most likely not make the nhl as a regular and I would rather be the team trading magic beans for players than the other way around.

Be remiss not to mention Marc Pouliot. Even in the bestdraft class in 20 years we can count on the oilers to find the worst player in the first round.

Epic post.
    This x 1000

59. stevezie says:

oilersfan: How can all you smart people not see how overrated the draft is outside the first round?

Testify!

60. Ryan says:

oilersfan,

While your argument that draft picks outside of the first round is fairly well supported by the Oilers’ draft record over the past ten years, other teams find tremendous value outside of the first round.

Calgary drafted Gaudreau and TJ Brodie both in the FOURTH round!

Tampa Bay drafted Nikita Kucherov in the second round, ondrej Palat in the seventh round, Radko Gudas and Alexander Killhorn in the third… along with several other serviceable players outside of the first round.

Cam Atkinson is a 27-year-old right shot center with 24 goals this season…and a sixth round pick for the Jackets.

The Oilers need a right shot defenseman who can run a powerplay. Justin Faulk, Colton Paryko, Tyson Barrie, John Klingberg, Sami Vatanen… all players drafted outside of the first round still playing for the respective teams that drafted them.

61. PunjabiOil says:

oilersfan:

I would agree with much of this.

The division is weak, the West is not out of realm of possibility. Draft picks, especially late first rounders, are likely not going to make material impact until 2-3 years down the road (if ever). Even further for defenceman – see Klefbom from the Penner trade – 4 years after he got drafted. You don’t have the luxury of Connor’s ELC after next season.

Having that said, the key with picks is to accumulate more of them so that your odds increase of landing NHL players. Of course if you have poor drafting, that may not matter much. The Oilers scouting staff has been hot and cold, but some empirical evidence over the past few years that they’ve above average and finding value in deeper rounds. Especially since Stu MacGregor was let go.

It’s all about taking a calculated risk. Ideally you don’t give up a (late) 1st round pick in a weak draft for a single rental. Having that said, if the team is a contender by the end of the month, I would have no problem moving the 1st round pick for Hanzal plus Stone and then moving Russell for a 2nd round pick. If that’s a deal that you think that can make you a contender with a legitimate shot at the cup, you do it.

It’s still too early – February will give us a better idea to assess where the team stands.

Lou Lamoriello- “If you have time, use it.”

62. Ryan says:

Ryan,

Speaking of right shot dmen…

Pop quiz guys. No looking… Who’re the top three NHL dmen in plus minus?

63. Ryan says:

Ryan,

I’ll give you some help,

1. Ryan Suter
    2. Brooks Orpik
    3. X

64. JohnnyOilfan says:

Ryan,
    Mr. Norris aka J Schultz?

65. Ryan says:

JohnnyOilfan:
    Ryan,
    Mr. Norris aka J Schultz?

Yes. Incredible.

48 gp: 8 goals. 35 points. Plus 27

Schultz has more points than each of Nuge, Eberle, or Lucic.

He’s actually tied for second in the entire NHL amoungst all skaters for plus/minus.

Severson
    Barrie
    Brodie
    Tyutin
    Ekblad
    OEL
    Ghostbear

Faulk

So, some nice names on the other end too lol.

66. stevezie says:

Ryan:

Sure, but those teams succeed largely by luck. Every draft pick is a lottery ticket.

If you can trade one of your low-percentage lottery tickets into a high percentage thing, you do it. Play the percentages. Believe your scout when he says he knows who the best player available is, not when he says he’s found a sure thing outside the first round. Maybe even outside the top ten.

And don’t prioritise drafts and the stocked system over signing cheap vets and college players. If we have Benning as the result of Chia looking at a back draft record and getting desperate then aybe a bad draft record is a good thing.

Obviously, all things being equal you want a lot of draft picks. Realistically I’m probably overstating my case. But if some other GM thinks your lottery ticket is worth his sure thing, you take it every time.

Cheap vets and college players are free most every year and go to teams with the room for them. Don’t be too afraid of having that room.

67. spoiler says:

Primetime: This line just grabbed my attention…is this true?I always had the understanding that expansion fees were not part of the salary cap calculation as it was not generated by playing hockey.I thought this is why the owners prefer this to relocation as the money goes straight in their pockets.Even once Vegas starts making money it is not going to be that profitable and the revenue now gets split into one more team, thus potentially lowering the cap.However, I could be entirely mistaken on that…does anyone have knowledge on this topic?

I think his point is that with the addition od another team, the league-wide cap just went up by $75M+… Extra liquidity in the system. The Kaniggits forced to take a minimum in salary, so make them eat some of the salary you don’t want.

There are consequences though if real talent is going one way and not much back.

Do you remember the Flames of a decade ago? They made a brilliant trade with San Jose for Miika Kiprusoff. Gave up only a second-round pick, turned into Marc-Edouard Vlasic, but the value of a second-round pick is not so great that any of us should ever question that trade as being less than fantastic.

The problem was that Calgary kept doing it. Traded second rounders in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010. A team can trade picks but the draft remains the life blood of an NHL team. The Oilers have the jacks and kings, but badly need complementary pieces starting now.

That first round pick doesn’t need to be Martin Rucinsky, but said player has to be an NHL player by the end of the decade. There are some snipers in this draft, that guy might end up being McDavid’s scoring winger.

Oilers need to replenish the system, or they will end up looking like the Flames at the end of the Sutter run.

69. Bruce McCurdy says:

JDï™:

More than a little surprising to see Adam Larsson with a greater offensive impact than defensive while Oscar Klefbom is heavily skewed the other way. Doesn’t meet the eye test nor the numbers test in my view. What am I missing?

70. Jethro Tull says:

oilersfan:

This was what I was trying to say!

Posters here have mathed out the probabilities of the lower round picks making the NHL, and it wasn’t good. That’s not to say you don’t do your due diligence in regards to scouting and drafting, but we have bigger fish to fry.

The more the situation in Detroit goes on, the more it seems that they lucked into Datsyuk and Zetterberg and rode the back of Hall of Famers, rather than have “the Best Management in Hockey.”

And everyone was raving about the Detroit Model of draft and develop. Prime example. Good players are good players, no matter what round they are picked in and below the 1st round, it’s a crap shoot. The Wings won their draft lottery in Pavel and Henrik. They had Hasek and Lidstrom.

But they did develop Larkin into the NHL’s fastest skater *

71. Yeti says:

Jethro Tull,

I guess the question might be (partially) resolved by counting the percentage of self-drafted players on the roster of leading teams over a given period of time (say four years). Wouldn’t that show the importance of drafting for long term success?

72. 5Things says:

1. To my eye, Chia values college men more than those outside the first round. And with McD around, people are clamouring to play in Etown more than at any point in my lifetime.

2. What @oilersfan said

3. Zany idea: expose Lucic in the expansion draft. Not a bad player but how is that contract not going to be trouble?

4. I think both Barzal and Stephens are great young players and we’re great in WJ. But isn’t there a chance that neither of them are great NHLers? Just like GR? The 100 game line in the sand is important but imo, there’s a big difference between 100 games as Bobby Orr and 100 games as Boyd Devereaux.

5. I hope McLellan has got over his cold during the break. If I had a dollar for every time I saw the ol’ cough, pull lapel, Eli Manning tic….

73. Scungilli says:

Primetime: I may be reading this wrong, but you didn’t just compare Hendy’s potential value to a playoff run this year to HHOF’er Glenn Anderson’s legendary ability to elevate in the playoffs?Maybe you were just referencing effort level, but Andy averaged 35-40 goals a year while sleepwalking through the regular season…I think underlying talent had a bigger factor in his ability to take over playoff games…

Not comparing Anderson to Hendricks. The general point was that experienced players can contribute more in the short run of the playoffs than their reg season contribution at times. Playing mistake free hockey is crucial then. Of course younger players can do the same, some players get hot and earn contracts they can’t live up to. I would be surprised if they trade out many players because playoffs are so likely now.

Anderson as I remember was not playing so well or scoring at high levels as he bounced around at the end. But man was he money in playoff and especially OT with the Rangers. A one man attack, loads of chances.

74. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

5Things,

3. Lucic has a NMC. Won’t be exposed.

75. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

I would add that you also have to get a little lucky with your picks.

The problem with the Oilers now isn’t all those high 1st rounders, it is that the only thing the Oilers have to show for their 2nd to 4th round picks from that period (2010~2016) is tweener Anton Lander, made from glass Tyler Pitlick, a handful of games from Jujhar Khaira and the ghost of Tobias Rieder.

That’s just flat out awful, both in terms of luck and in terms of drafting choices (where are the Moroz defenders these days?)

We need more picks to replenish the system in part because the picks were just so terrible before. I do think that this played at least a small role in Chia’s decision to trade picks 16 and 33 at the time. He did not trust the old scouts.

76. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

oilersfan,

P.S., I have, on several occasions suggested that having the 31st or 32nd overall pick (2nd rounder) is not equal to having the 60th (also a 2nd rounder). But my assertion has been debunked by the math. I still want to believe otherwise, that not all 2nd rounders are equal and that it is reasonable to criticize the Oilers for as many misses as they have had, especially when even the average fan is sitting there watching Brandon Saad and Boone Jenner drop and calling for the Oilers to grab them, and we grab Musil instead.

Moroz–not that this one has burned them yet…the picks right after him have no NHL games played, either. Sure, there are the Paraykos and Seversons in there, but they were drafted well after Moroz. Yet the thinking was so flawed… “We heard New Jersey likes him so have to take him one round early.” That’s what got us Troy Freaking Hesketh.

77. oscarmike says:

oilersfan,

25% make the NHL outside the 1st round?

How many goalies get drafted in the first round

Current rooster
    Players in EDM outside the 1st round:
    Luicic(2),Maroon(6),Hendy(5), letestu(un drafted).
    Slepy(3), Davidson(5), Sekera(3), Russel(3),

And the Oilers where bad at drafting how many years?