TOTAL RECALL

The Edmonton Oilers recalled defensemen Griffin Reinhart and Jordan Oesterle today, while placing Matt Benning and Jujhar Khaira on IR. The moves offer a great deal of insight into the thinking of management and coaching today, as veteran Mark Fayne remains in the minors.

The big item for me is Reinhart’s progress. when he was sent down, there were specific and sizable problems expressed by the coach.

• Todd McLellan: “Griffin has to improve his game in every area to be a National Hockey Leaguer. He has to get stronger, his (defensive) reads. He has to get down into the American League and understand that because he’s got work to do to get back here. That was the message delivered to him and he accepted it, well.” Source

That was October 7. Story here.

On the day he was sent down, Edmonton still had eight defenders (Sekera, Larsson, Klefbom, Davidson, Nurse, Fayne, Gryba, Benning) and Kris Russell on the way. By any stretch, Reinhart would have been No. 10 on the depth chart (or worse) on opening night.

The curious thing is how many players were recalled after the beginning of the season and before today’s recall.

• Six Opening Night (Adam Larsson, Oscar Klefbom, Andrej Sekera, Kris Russell, Brandon Davidson, Darnell Nurse)
  • Extra/Injured Opening Night (Mark Fayne, Matt Benning)
  • October 19—Ben Betker recalled (did not play)
  • November 5—Dillon Simpson recalled (he has played in three games)
  • December 7—David Musil recalled (did not play)
  • December 30—Jordan Oesterle recalled (did not play)
  • February 4—Griffin Reinhart recalled

Some of these men were recalled and returned more than once, list is here. Including all men from opening night through today, Edmonton has placed 12 men on the parent roster before him. That is a deep dive down the depth chart, although cap bonus issues probably played a part. Reinhart’s value is tied up in defense, as is reflected in his boxcar numbers.

REINHART IN THE AHL

I think we have Reinhart surrounded at the AHL level, he does seem to have been more involved in the power play this season with the Condors.

Photo by Mark Williams

If Reinhart is about defense and shutting down sorties, Jordan Oesterle’s story revolves around speed and moving the puck effectively. If you have been observing the Oilers Hail Mary passes recently, the idea of another mobile player back on the blue is probably welcome.

OESTERLE AHL

Oesterle has progressed nicely as an offensive defender in the AHL, perhaps we will see him get some 5×4 time during his stay with the Oilers. In previous looks with Edmonton, Oesterle brought enough defensive chaos to be a concern. Both men may return to the Condors quickly, as Edmonton has a week off after the game tomorrow in Montreal. More tomorrow.

53 Responses to "TOTAL RECALL"

1. N64 says:

“That is a deep dive down the depth chart, although cap bonus issues probably played a part”

See that as maximizing development time on a big chia bet approaching decision point. And cap mgmt. Not so much reflecting org depth chart.

Your projected shift to 8d came quickly.

N64:

Your projected shift to 8d came quickly.

I think the Oilers thought he would be ready fall 2015, so suspect he was trying their patience by October of this year. Things may have changed, but the original GR bet did not work out at all.

3. square_wheels says:

Not sure I would use such gentle words – ” If you have been observing the Oilers Hail Mary passes recently”

Those Hail Mary passes are what’s killing all offence beyond 97 and 29, who can carry a 5 gallon pail full of pucks through most neutral zones.

Something in Tmac’s system doesn’t rhyme and it isn’t 10 forwards.

4. bassguy says:

Hi LT…just wanted to tell you I am your age etc but I am on a gordon lightfoot train these days?..i never really appreciated him and i think it was to do with his success actually..i was way more into bruce cockburn etc…plus my oldest brother loved him so i guess i was rebelling a bit!..haha….brothers do that…anyways I was so blown over after meeting someone named Ed…he came to a concert I was playing and i thought nothing of it till someone said..meet Ed, but his stage name is pee wee charles..i turned around and said”you are pee wee charles?..you are famous!!..he was the steel player with gordon lightfoot forever and if you like listen to his first ever recording with gordon..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnmFPFQd9CI…ed is very tall by the way but he has played on all of gordons work and you wouldnt know it as it sounds like guitar with effects at times

5. Woodguy v2.0 says:

*****SPAM******

New Because Oilers:

Are the Oilers a one line team? I look at every team with their star on/off ice to find out.

I’ve added Score Adjusted CF% to my original post after Cam Thompson mentioned it.

*****END SPAM*****

6. stush18 says:

Hey guys. Catching up on some reading lately. Couple comments.

I understand JP is not playing a ton in Bakersfield, but we should remember he is only 18. I don’t think force feeding him minutes in the AHL is a great idea.

Lets wait for griffs first couple games before we pull out the pitchforks.

I looked at gmoneys shot location map from the oilers game. Carolina has some of the most underrated defense in the league, but they had zero chances inside the scoring triangle. That trio of ebs, nuge, and pouliot is not a line that can penetrate the scoring area, and scores more off the rush. The problem appears to be each player.

So let’s run

Maroon-mcdavid-nuge. I believe maroon plays best with speed, and mcdavid can get him going. Edit*nuge I mean

Lucic-drai-ebs. These two are strong enough to create a cycle and bring eberle into the play. He needs to remember to drive the play while cycling. Cycle with a purpose.

Pou-cags-slepy. We need another centre. I still think lander could perform here. He is an elite AHL centre. But the team prolly sees cags as a centre here long term and wants to develop him this year.
    JJ -letestu-kass

7. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Montour got into tonight’s game for ANA as Vatenen is out with a LBI.

Scored his first NHL goal.

Elliotte has Brandon Davidson on the trade block during HNIC, I think we had guessed it but we now have confirm. Pysyk? Hopefully more than just a pick.

9. Pouzar says:

hmmmm…So Russell 5 x 5?

Pouzar: hmmmm…So Russell 5 x 5?

I think it will be three times four.

11. sliderule says:

Woodguy v2.0,

I am still trying to understand zone starts affect on Corsica.

Do you have information on how many Corsica events occur after OZ DZ NZ face offs broken down by first 25 seconds and after 50 seconds which would be end of shift.

I know that a large number of shifts start on the fly but they would be similar to NZ face offs.

Knowledge about this would allow me to come out of the dark side 😄😄

12. stevezie says:

Moving Davidson makes a lot of sense right now IF you get a player back (and if no one bites on Russell, who makes even more sense.)

If teams are offering a pick we’re better off just losing him in the expansion draft. It wouldn’t be for nothing, it would be instead of something else.

Unless it’s a great pick, obviously.

13. Scungilli says:

Lowetide: I think it will be three times four.

Ughhhhh.

14. Confused says:

BD for a forward makes sense with the expansion.

Det can probably protect a defender

15. Klima's_Bucket says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Look at the Panthers sans Barkov.

How they hung in there with him out is admirable.

16. N64 says:

Lowetide: Elliotte has Brandon Davidson on the trade block during HNIC, I think we had guessed it but we now have confirm. Pysyk

So they they protect Pysyk and only protect 4F at the draft?

If Vegas pays the expansion fee before the deadline I can see a lot of deadline trades being accompanied by a registered deal with Vegas to leave an incoming player untouched.

17. Klima's_Bucket says:

Florida has Demers, Ekblad, Pysyk, Petrovic, McIlrath on the right.
    And have Matheson, Yandle, Kindl on the left.

They could really use a left shot to play as Ekblad isn’t so hot without Campbell.

Make it work Chia.

18. Scungilli says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    *****SPAM******

New Because Oilers:

*****END SPAM*****

Interesting piece.

I’m wondering this evening if Thornton wants out of SJ and will sign a Jagr contract (2x4M) wouldn’t that be an interesting add. Some veteran offensive guidance for the younger lads. Could probably get Eberle going and let Nuge holiday at 3C for a year with JP.

19. Scungilli says:

Klima's_Bucket:

Florida has Demers, Ekblad, Pysyk, Petrovic, McIlrath on the right.
    And have Matheson, Yandle, Kindl on the left.

Make it work Chia.

I see what you’re saying – Davidson for Ekblad!

20. Klima's_Bucket says:

Scungilli: I see what you’re saying – Davidson for Ekblad!

You’re goddamn right.

21. Confused says:

Klima's_Bucket,

We need to protect drai, Nuge, maroon, Ebs, looch

So we are 7_3_1 no defenders unless expansion exempt.

A forward prospect

22. OilClog says:

Scungilli: Interesting piece.

Jumbo Joe and TMac will never rekindle that marriage

23. Scungilli says:

OilClog: Jumbo Joe and TMac will never rekindle that marriage

Probably right.

24. --hudson-- says:

Zadorov in Colorado is beginning to develop a cult following. He’s laid out Scheiffle twice tonight

25. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

We know the M.O. of this front office by now. As soon as the Reinhart verbal started to pick up this was prepping us for the culling of the herd.

Typical that the Oilers get fixated on a shiny toy they acquired.

Also, Davidson has proved he can play at the NHL level. Reinhart has not yet Still BD is the one on the block. Again, typical of this organization.

As for the trade itself I will wait to reserve judgement until it is done and we see the return. If it is Pysyk or another decent RHD I think we can live with it.

The problem is you develop a past. And it is hard to see it any other way. As we said this morning we wait to see the other shoe drop but the tea leaves were there to read as soon as the verbal pumping Reinhart’s tires came.

The truth is GR should get an audition and if he is better than Davidson keep him and trade BD. But if the other way around this organization should trade GR. Of course it seems they may not do that.

And around and around we go again.

We wait to see the deal but the process is fucked up regardless.

26. kinger_OIL says:

– Great post LT! Re: Davidson: I don’t get how you would trade Davidson out of fear he is going to be selected in the expansion draft for a similar player, who could also be selected in the expansion. Unless it’s part of a big package where the Oil get a guy they intend to protect

27. Brad says:

kinger_OIL,

The key is finding a team who would protect Davidson. STL only has 2 D worth protecting at the moment in Poetro and J-Bo as Parayko is exempt and Shattenkirk a UFA.

28. OF17 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

I think most of us here have a different view of Reinhart vs Davidson than Chiarelli appears to have. From the pro-Davidson camp though, I can rationalize a trade via the expansion draft and roster places.

The expansion draft logic is rather straightforward. For my money, Davidson is the most valuable piece Las Vegas could extract from our likely unprotected players. By that logic, he’s also likely to have the most value in trade of unprotected players (That would have to be checked with GMs of course). We know that trade values in the NHL aren’t purely additive – infinity 7th round picks likely wouldn’t buy McDavid – despite the difference in on-ice contribution not being too large. In that mold, selling the most valuable asset and losing the 2nd/3rd option to expansion would be a nice conservation of value at the end of the roster. Spend that value at the deadline and trade Davidson for a 3C. Boost the run while conserving value.

Even if the expansion draft weren’t happening, roster places would be another issue. I don’t want to move any of Klefbom, Sekera, or Nurse, I’d like Benning at 3RD, and I’d like a legit 2RD to come in the summer. That would be a great result on defense heading into next year. The difference between Davidson and Reinhart in the press box (not to mention not losing Reinhart to waivers!) is IMO less significant than helping either our playoff push or prospect pool. Same reason I think one of Slepyshev, Pitlick, and Khaira is in danger of going. Extract value before waiver season, because if you’re able to bring in a 3C or 2RW for next year, one of those three is losing their roster spot. Don’t want to lose them to waivers, so might as well make a deadline deal with one of them.

Trading Davidson makes sense. And I love the guy. Shutdown, transition D are my favorite type. It’s also why I like so many of Chiarelli’s defense adds: Sekera, Larsson, Benning. But he’s looking like the chip that makes sense to cash right now.

29. --hudson-- says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    We wait to see the deal but the process is fucked up regardless.

I don’t want to be down because they’ve lost a few but I want to see signs of due process

30. kinger_OIL says:

Brad:
    kinger_OIL,

– sure but if the guy we get back ins’t being protected, why bother?

– If you trade him for shatty, you are then down 2 D’s

31. leadfarmer says:

How the hell does Fiddler who has 3 pts this year get a 4th round pick. Chia better be on the phones selling Hendricks. I don’t care we’re in a playoff hunt. We can fill that internally.

32. Scungilli says:

–hudson–: This feels like the inevitable truth, the Oilers will talk themselves into something, they will not get good players and keep them. On a meta level, it’s similar to how the team often gives up a goal after scoring one. Or they lay an egg after winning a couple games.

Guys that are steady and play the full game on good contracts are the difference between good and best and the backbone of consistent contenders. Maybe GR has sorted his game out but I do not want to watch him lumbering around the D zone chasing the play. The best players can skate well, like Davidson.

33. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

OF17,

I get that they do not want to lose Davidson for nothing.

I also get that trading some of the leftorium makes sense.

But Reinhart is in the same boat protection/exposure wise and is less proven. I guess they must think they can get more value back in a Davidson trade.

We wait to see what the return will be.

Personally i would not trade Davidson before seeing that Reinhart can indeed step up.

34. leadfarmer says:

I’m guessing letting Vegas maybe have Davidson is better then the return we get for Davidson and losing Reinhart/ Pou or whoever they choose to take. His injuries have hurt his value.

35. spoiler says:

I don’t see Reinhart’s bonus situation being an issue now. Would be difficult for him to hit them, if not impossible. Which makes him a lower actual cap hit than Davidson. Only $265k, but that might be playing some role.

One of the advantages of being ahead in games played is that early deals aren’t as early… less games remaining to pro-rate over.

Do the NHL GMs consider the upcoming layoff a good time to make a trade? More time for a player to adjust? I suspect they do.

With all the smoke from the media, and two defensemen coming up, I as well feel like a deal is imminent.

I’m going to guess its Davidson, 2017 3rd, 2018 conditional 1st for USS Shattenkirk.

36. who says:

Scungilli: I agree, the worry for me is what they see as a keeper. The only thing against Davidson is injury history and that he doesn’t protect himself along the boards well, which caused the Tkachuk injury IMO.

I don’t think Davidson is any faster than Reinhart. He just makes quicker decisions which makes him appear faster. Davidson is not a particularly fluid skater.
    The problem with trading Davidson for a forward or a rental is that LV could select Reinhart and then you are down two dmen. That would almost force the oilers to resign Russell or another veteran dman for next season.

37. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Lowetide: I think it will be three times four.

4 x 4

38. Woodguy v2.0 says:

sliderule:
    Woodguy v2.0,

I am still trying to understand zone starts affect on Corsica.

Knowledge about this would allow me to come out of the dark side

I don’t have that data anymore.

Tyler published it once, but took down his site when he was hired by the Oilers and never put it back up.

From what I remembered, it really varied by team.

I remember that ANA, under Boudreau actually had a > 50% CF in the 22 seconds after LOSING a D zone draw

Crazy.

39. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Look at the Panthers sans Barkov.

How they hung in there with him out is admirable.

Yup.

Not to mention that Huberdeau has played 1 game all season.

They might go on a run with both of them back.

40. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Scungilli: Interesting piece.

Thornton would be ridiculous to have on the team, even at his age.

41. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Brad:
    kinger_OIL,

That’s really interesting.

Maybe Peter sell Davidson to rent Shattenkirk?

42. fifthcartel says:

Woodguy v2.0,

This is a really good idea.

43. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Even for a rental I’m sure Shattenkirk has much more value. Someone’s going to give them a first and a good prospect.

44. Woodguy v2.0 says:

leadfarmer:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Even for a rental I’m sure Shattenkirk has much more value.Someone’s going to give them a first and a good prospect.

I’d say Davidson has much more value than a 1st, especially where a likely buyer is going to draft 20-25 in a best case scenario for STL.

He’s an Actual NHL Dman with a good (albeit short) track record on a cheap deal that is RFA when it expires.

If we use Scott Cullen’s valuation of 1st roundpicks, a ~20-25th pick’s average value is “marginal NHLer”

Davidson is the goods today, here and now.

The question is “would Armstrong value Davidson above Edmunson” as Edmunson is their current 3LD, 23 years old, on a similar contract to Davidson and would need protecting.

They would also need to protect Gunnarsson. Would they value Davidson over Gunnarsson?

Cullen source: http://www2.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/story/?id=455673

45. russ99 says:

Reinhart – this has to be last chance Texaco here, if he doesn’t show improvement at the NHL level, he’ll be gone this summer.

Davidson – I suspect his trade alue is lower than we assume due to his injury and lesser level of play thus year, we know what he can do, but other teams may not assume that due to lack of recent results.

46. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Media: Oilers putting Davidson on block because they fear losing him for nothing due to expansion draft.

Media: Oilers have to move Hall for a D because they need money to sign Lucic.

Same shit, different channel. Handcuffs on, ready to trade.

47. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Woodguy v2.0,

The Cullen valuation does not really apply in this manner. Just because a player is a bonafide NHL player does not make him worth a late 1st.

Bonafide players get moved for less than that regularly.

Another way to frame it, if you traded Davidson now do you think you could get a 1st rounder back for him?

48. Yeti says:

russ99:

I think I agree with you on the second point, Russ, but not so much on the first. I could easily see Reinhert not sticking long on the NHL roster and still being around next Fall for the new season, unless he’s plucked in the expansion draft. I can’t see Chia cutting bait with this player given the history and next season his bonus situation is not going to keep him from being a useful 7D. After all, he has shown ok in the NHL at times.

49. N64 says:

Don’t get trading BD or GR to avoid Vegas. If they are concerned about both you’d have to trade both. You trade one Vegas takes the other.

50. N64 says:

spoiler: I don’t see Reinhart’s bonus situation being an issue now. Would be difficult for him to hit them, if not impossible

If he has 01% chance it counts. But many require 42 games, so perhaps those bonuses do not count.

51. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

N64:

I agree with you. It is dumb reasoning.
    Breaks down to: lose either Reinhart or Davidson vs. lose Davidson via trade and lose Reinhart via expansion draft. All you are left with is the asset you get back in the Davidson deal.

Every team will lose someone they wish they could keep. I do not understand the angst. Oilers are not alone or unique here.

52. Woodguy v2.0 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Bonafide players get moved for less than that regularly.

But that is my point.

1st rounders are valuable, but not as valuable as an Actual NHL Dman on a cheap RFA contract.

The market overvalues a 1st in this case.

The question is what is more valuable to Armstong (or whatever GM in question) than “the market”

53. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Ah, gotcha. Yeah I think the market has overvalued 1sts for years. I doubt that changes this season, although if there was a year for that to happen, this weak draft year should be it.