OILERS AT THE DEADLINE 1980-1992

The Edmonton Oilers have been active at the deadline over the years. How active? Let’s have a look, beginning with the golden years of Glen Sather.

1980—GLEN SATHER

• March 11, 1980—Oilers traded L Cam Connor and a second-round pick (Peter Sundstrom) to the NY Rangers for R Don Murdoch. Sather was always trying to find difference makers, and Murdoch had an amazing early career. It didn’t work out, but was worth the risk.
  • March 11, 1980—Oilers traded C Ron Chipperfield to Quebec Nordiques for G Ron Low. One of the most famous trades in team history, Chipperfield was wildly popular and was experiencing a devastating family situation. A painful, if necessary, trade.
  • March 11, 1980—Oilers traded G Jim Corsi to the Minnesota North Stars for future considerations. Probably cash, but it might have been a bus for the minor league team—you never know.

1981—GLEN SATHER

• March 10, 1981—Oilers traded D Pat Price to the Pittsburgh Penguins for C-R Pat Hughes. This was an interesting trade at the time and turned into an impactful one. Hughes was a big part of the first Stanley Cup team, probably more important than history suggests just by looking at the numbers.
  • March 10, 1981—Oilers traded R Blair MacDonald and the rights to Lars-Gunner Petersson to the Vancouver Canucks for C Ken Berry and D Gary Lariviere. Well, Blair MacDonald was building a house while scoring a bunch and wanted a raise, and Slats didn’t think scoring on 99’s line was all that difficult. I always like Lariviere, he was not an Oiler for long but played well in his one full season.
  • March 10, 1981—Oilers traded seventh-round pick (Craig Hurley) to Los Angeles Kings for C Garry Unger. It is important to remember that Unger was one of the NHL’s biggest stars of the 1970s. Sather had been after him since Edmonton entered the NHL, finally getting the center for not much at all. He didn’t hang around long enough for the Stanleys, but he was a favorite of mine and I enjoyed watching him play for the town team.

1982—GLEN SATHER

• March 8, 1982—Oilers trade C Walt Poddubny and R Phil Drouillard to the Toronto Maple Leafs for C Laurie Boschman. This trade didn’t work out, but Boschman was a big name. Toronto took him early in the 1979 draft and he never did work out, but his value was still high in 1982. He played in three playoff games that spring for the Oilers, and was in Winnipeg by the 1983 postseason.
  • March 9, 1982—Oilers trade C Stan Weir to Colorado Avalanche for L Ed Cooper. Weir was struggling for the second year in a row, and for Sather that meant a trade. Cooper, from Loon Lake, never made it as an NHL player.
  • March 9, 1982—Oilers trade D Doug Hicks to the Washington Capitals for C Todd Bidner. The Oilers badly needed Hicks in the early days, but 1982 deadline were ready to send him along. Bidner did not spend much more time in pro hockey.

1983—GLEN SATHER

• March 7, 1983—Oilers trade C Laurie Boschman to Winnipeg Jets for R Willy Lindstrom. One of my favorite players when he was a Jet, thrilled to see him succeed as an Oiler. He played on the first two Stanley teams, and scored 10 postseason goals in those years.

1984—GLEN SATHER

• March 6, 1984—Oilers traded D John Blum to the Boston Bruins for D Larry Melnyk. This is a typical deadline deal, Oilers acquired a player who could help now for a player who had a little higher upside. He played six playoff games for the 1984 team, and was used sparingly on the 1985 winner.
  • March 6, 1984—Oilers traded a 1985 fourth-round pick (Larry Shaw) for the rights to Finnish forward Risto Jalo. This trade did not work out, but is the reason I always liked Sather as a GM. If this trade had worked (Jalo retired in 1998), Edmonton would have been far richer than the risk.

1985—GLEN SATHER

• Oilers were inactive at the deadline (March 12, 1985), but did pick up Mark Napier in January from the Minnesota North Stars. He was a terrific Oiler.

1986—GLEN SATHER

• Oilers were inactive at the deadline (March 11, 1986).

1987—GLEN SATHER

• March 2, 1987—Oilers traded second-round pick (Link Gaetz) to the Minnesota North Stars for C Kent Nilsson. This was a fantastic pickup, Nilsson had a major impact on the team upon arrival. A ridiculous talent, he finally got with the right team. Magic man.
  • March 6, 1987—Oilers trade D Lee Fogolin, Mark Napier and fourth-round pick (John Bradley) to the Buffalo Sabres for Normand Lacombe, a fourth-round pick (Peter Eriksson) and the rights to Wayne Van Dorp. Two of my favorites heading out, Lacombe a young prospect who the Oilers felt could provide them with that patented two-way grittiness that made up Slats best teams. Lacombe delivered, but was not here a long time.
  • March 10, 1987—Oilers trade L Raimo Summanen to the Vancouver Canucks for L Moe Lemay. This was acknowledgement that Summanen—once highly touted—was not going to have a big NHL career. I always liked him. Lemay was fun to watch.

1988—GLEN SATHER

• March 8, 1988—Oilers trade G Andy Moog and L Moe Lemay to the Boston Bruins for G Bill Ranford, L Geoff Courtnall, F Alan May and a second-round selection (Petro Koivunen). This might be the best deadline trade in Oilers history, suspect it would get my vote almost 30 years later. Courtnall played 19 games on the 1988 winner, Ranford won the 1990 Conn Smythe and emerged as the Oilers starter for the first half of the 1990s.

1989—GLEN SATHER

• March 7, 1989—Oilers trade LW Greg Adams (the lesser) and C Doug Smith to the Vancouver Canucks for L John Leblanc and 1989 fifth-round pick (C Peter White). Lots of deadline deals are names without much of a future, this one didn’t move the needle.
  • March 7, 1989—Oilers trade D Jim Wiemer and L Alan May to the Los Angeles Kings for D John English and C Brian Wilks. Sather had flare more deadlines, not so much this time.

1990—GLEN SATHER

• March 6, 1990—Oilers trade D Cam Brauer to the Hartford Whalers for D Marc Laforge. A small deal, Laforge played five NHL games with the Oilers and was a productive enforcer in the AHL for several years.
  • March 6, 1990—Oilers trade C Brian Wilks to the Pittsburgh Penguins. Probably cash.
  • March 6, 1990—Oilers trade D Jeff Sharples to the New Jersey Devils for D Reijo Ruotsalainen. One of my favorite Oilers, Ruotsalainen is a walking advertisement for why trade deadlines are a great idea. I bet he can still skate like the wind.

1991—GLEN SATHER

• March 5, 1991—Oilers trade R Kim Issel to the Pittsburgh Penguins for L Brad Aitken. The takeaway here is the continuation of a disturbing trend—failed first-round selections. It would eventually ground a very proud franchise.

1992—GLEN SATHER

• March 10, 1992—Oilers trade L Martin Rucinsky to the Quebec Nordiques for G Ron Tugnutt and L Brad Zavisha. This is the beginning of the difficult time, where Edmonton bled talent trying to shore up leaks and good players were just passing through. Rucinsky was a helluva draft pick, gone for 29 games of Ron Tugnutt. Why? Edmonton lost Tugnutt to the Anaheim Ducks in the expansion draft.

More to come.

28 Responses to "OILERS AT THE DEADLINE 1980-1992"

1. Bruce McCurdy says:

Any word on the nature/severity of the injury that caused Reinhart to sit out last night?

2. Silver Streak says:

any word on Benning ??

Bruce McCurdy:

I looked around Bruce, cannot find one thing.

4. Professor Q says:

Any word on the Bird?

Silver Streak:
    any word on Benning ??

6. Bag of Pucks says:

Glen Sather, the original Magnificent Bastard.

7. oscarmike says:

Lander and Osterle with a called up again. Scouts are in the building.

8. JDï™ says:

As per a TSN story, Tkacooke has no regrets about the reputation he’s gaining around the league.

I’ll pledge a $100 to Davidson if he feeds that prick some carbon fiber. Can we put a new spin on Kickstarter?

9. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Professor Q:
    Any word on the Bird?

It’s the word

10. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Lowetide: They skate tomorrow at 5, the callup suggests one of Benning or Russell are still illing.

*crosses fingers*

11. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Professor Q:
    Any word on the Bird?

Ooooomamaooooomowmowmamaoooomowmow.

12. Chachi says:

Woodguy v2.0: Ooooomamaooooomowmowmamaoooomowmow.

13. TO10801 says:

I have a feeling it will be a very boring deadline for the oilers. I think they end up keeping Davidson and look at trading him prior to the expansion draft when maybe a team is looking to get rid of a forward for a defensemen. I would take the under if the over/under is set at 2.5 trades. I think we will see Berra for this years 6th and possibly a salary for salary deal like Poo and a pick for someone like Darren Helm.

It makes more sense to protect Davidson. He will have more trade value AFTER the expansion draft.

Maroon and Russell are the kind of players that Belichek would let their contracts run out. He would never pay full value for them on new oontracts in free agency. I’m okay with Russell only on another one year deal.

Maroon is a year away from being UFA. Vegas would never pick him. They will take Davidson, and then Khaira or Reinhart. The OIlers exposed older NHL veterans, Maroon, Pouliot, Letestu, Kassian, just won’t be that attractive to an expansion team.

Protect Davidson. Davidson in hand, means one can drive a hard bargain with Russell.

Only core players should get duration. Maroon and Russell are not core players.

15. TO10801 says:

godot10,

Agree I would not pay full value for Maroon. That said, I think we know he will be protected based on what Chia looks for. Where I disagree is that Vegas will look to young players under control. I think they will be looking for players with one year left on their contract (Letestu, Maroon) so they can sell them at the deadline next year for picks. They will need to stock the system right away and the only way to do that is find guys that will get them picks in 2018.

16. OF17 says:

We’ve seen names like Duchene, Landeskog, and Colborne in connection to the Avalanche’s struggles, but how about Erik Johnson?

RHD, averages 37P per 82 over the last four years, will be 29 at the start of next year, and is locked down for $6M through his 34 year old season. Every single one of his teammates this year does better with him on the ice rather than off. Basically gives us a chance to add a RHD of Sekera’s calibre that’s more physical and more offensively talented. Also sounds like exactly the type of asset Colorado would trade.

I don’t know what Colorado would want, but I’d offer Davidson + Slepyshev + 1st and see what they say. The price would hurt, but Johnson is pretty much exactly what we need.

17. Brad says:

OF17,

Don’t think you’ll be getting Johnson for a package centred around a 20ish overall pick. In fact, I would be shocked if Colorado traded him at all. Their D is in shambles, I expect them to deal from their talented forwards to try to improve it rather than trade away one of their only valuable pieces back there. At least not unless they’re getting a younger defenseman with significant upside, which Davidson is not (I love the guy, but realistically he projects as an average 2nd pairing to good 3rd pairing guy).

18. GMB3 says:

The Oilers could sure use a defender like Jeff Petry!

Petry, Larsson, and Benning would be a nice right side

19. hunter1909 says:

GMB3:
    The Oilers could sure use a defender like Jeff Petry!

Petry, Larsson, and Benning would be a nice right side

Long time Petry fan disagrees.

They’ve already replaced Petry’s middle 6 output.

Oilers need an Eric Karlsson.

20. hunter1909 says:

JDï™:

LOL he’s just a rookie playing a Heel. He’s their Kassian.

So long as Oilers have Lucic Maroon and Kassian and Nurse…

21. stevezie says:

godot10,

The single best argument for signing Russell is maybe LV takes him. Keeping DAvidson is well worth any signing bonus.

I really enjoyed this article. I’m a sucker for walks down memory lane, even when the memories pre-date me.

It actually lead me down a weird youtube rabbit hole that ended with Dennis Bonvie. I’m still a little confused how it was possible to be a good fighter but too bad a hockey player to make the NHL. So many scrappers who couldn’t play a lick hit two or three hundred games. Was Bonvie actively shooting on his own goalie?

22. Preacher says:

LT, I wanted to pop in and say thanks for this blog. It gets me through the last few hours of the graveyard shift where I work. I never post because I’m too late to join the conversation, but I just had to say my real name is Allan, middle name Mitchell. So, every time I read that Allan Mitchell is doing this or hosting that I always mildly feel that I’m in trouble with my mother. ha!

Also, Messier, Anderson and Nilsson is my favorite Oiler line of all time. That ’87 team was something to behold. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

23. Gino says:

Pat Hughes the first original Pisani.

24. druds1 says:

The quintessential Sather photo except no cigar….the smirk is classic!

25. Pastor of Disaster says:

druds1:
    The quintessential Sather photo except no cigar….the smirk is classic!

Also, why is Brandon Davidson lurking behind Slats in that picture from 2006?

26. CrazyCoach says:

JDï™:

*Joe McGrath voice*

Are you crazy? We could all end up the in the clink for this!

You can’t put a bounty on a mans head!

27. CrazyCoach says:

LT,

As I said earlier, I’m feeling somewhat nostalgic these days, and I really enjoy seeing all these blasts from the past.

Mrs Crazycoach’s family is from Hines Creek, home of Brad Zavisha. It’s neat to hear the oldtimers talk about his prowess as a youngster.