SIGNING SEASON

I admit to hoping Peter Chiarelli rips apart the Leftorium this spring and summer, but will probably have to be content with a small flush. Caleb Jones has been signed by the organization, and seems destined to start his pro career in Bakersfield (with NHL time possible). Let’s start with the depth chart among signed players for 2017-18 (including slide rules Jones and Ethan Bear).

PROJECTED 2017-18 DEFENSIVE DEPTH CHART (BEFORE CHANGES)

The left side is solid with four (Sekera, Klefbom, Davidson, Nurse) options, although Brandon Davidson may not be here come the fall. After that, there are four AHL hires with at least some NHL experience, plus Betker and young Jones. Edmonton had 19 defenseman on the team’s 50-man list (17 and two slides), and will likely run with at least 17 next season.

At the NHL level, we seem to be an expansion draft away from Kris Russell signing, and for our purposes today assume the team brings back all RFAs listed above. I am not specifically concerned with how the NHL team is constructed in the fall, but rather what we might see in terms of spring and summer signings. Let’s have a look.

POSSIBLE ADDITIONS

• LD Ziyat Paigin. He just turned 22 and his size (6.06, 210) makes him an attractive candidate for the current Oilers. I think he is sometimes miscast online, he seems to be a mobile defensive defender who happens to possess a giant shot. I think he is the most likely to be signed among drafted blue.
  • LD William Lagesson. He turns 21 later this month, and has two more years of eligibility in the NCAA. I spoke to Simon Boisvert on the Lowdown before Christmas and he said Lagesson ‘has a certain potential, but he needs to play in the AHL asap.’ If the Oilers consider him a legit prospect, and I bet they do, Lagesson probably gets a deal, or is traded.
  • RD Filip Berglund. Turns 20 in May, and has enjoyed a productive season. Playing in the SHL most of the year, he has been playing depth minutes while posting seven assists. I imagine the Oilers will be pleased to keep him with Skelleftea next year, with an eye to playing a more prominent role.
  • RD Vincent Desharnais. He turns 21 in late May, and is completing his second year of NCAA hockey with Providence College. It is difficult to project him into pro hockey (he hasn’t played all of PCs games, but there have been some good reviews), so it is wise to guess he stays at least one more year in college.
  • RD John Marino. He turns 20 in May, but will have only one season at Harvard on his resume. Marino has played more than a lot of freshman blue, but I think we see him stay another year in the NCAA.

OUTSIDE OPTIONS

• RD Ryan Mantha, Niagara IceDogs. He was drafted by the NY Rangers, but they chose not to sign him. We have talked about him before, and Brock Otten wrote about Mantha here, ranking him as the No. 1 overage player in the OHL.
  • LD Daniel Brickley, Minnesota State-Mankato. Oilers have been mentioned in regard to Brickley in the past. His NHLE is 40 points, and he is 6.03, 203.
  • RD Darren Raddysh, Erie Otters. Former teammate of Connor McDavid, he is a steady defender with two-way ability. Nothing flashy, but he can play. Otten ranked him as the No. 2 option among overagers in the OHL.
  • LD Gavin Bayreuther, St. Lawrence University. He has been a player of interest for some time and was having a strong season year (more than a point per game) before his injury. Should have a lot of interest.
  • RD Aaron Irving, Everett Silvertips. It may be just an AHL deal, but I believe he can play pro and he addresses an extreme area of need for the organization.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

Let’s assume the Oilers keep the 14 names I listed above, and add Kris Russell via NHL free agency. If we project 18 defenders (no slides), that means they can sign Ziyat Paigin, William Lagesson and Ryan Mantha (as an example). Buying out Mark Fayne (likely) would allow Edmonton to add another player to the 50-man list.

CURRENT 50-MAN LIST

63 Responses to "SIGNING SEASON"

1. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide, why do they have a 50 man roster size? Why not have 60 instead, to give teams flexibility?

2. Woodguy v2.0 says:

hunter1909:

I’m not LT but I did just drink a beer.

I think that’s NHLPA driven due to the history of teams controlling the fate of 100’s of players back in the sponsorship era.

Players would get buried by an org and had no opportunity to try to make it with another org.

I would not doubt if the PA referred to it as “the Sam Pollock Rule”

3. v4ance says:

The Associated Press ‏@AP

BREAKING: Family spokesman says Little Caesars Pizza founder Mike Ilitch, owner of Detroit Tigers and Detroit Red Wings, dies at 87.

Woodguy v2.0: I’m not LT but I did just drink a beer.

I would not doubt if the PA referred to it as “the Sam Pollock Rule”

Makes sense to me. I think the NHL answer before the NHLPA was to basically treat players like property, so any innovation that allows freedom before 55 is probably the union.

5. Jethro Tull says:

Woodguy v2.0: I’m not LT but I did just drink a beer.

I would not doubt if the PA referred to it as “the Sam Pollock Rule”

First line. Quote of the day. Well done. Pretty much sums up the majority of the Oilers fan psyche.

For some reason i read it in Fry from Futurama’s voice.

6. hunter1909 says:

What with the way the 50 man roster limit is constantly brought up around here makes me wonder why not add 5 more players?

Everyone wins, except Phoenix.

hunter1909:

Everyone wins, except Phoenix.

8. Jethro Tull says:

Lowetide: David Musil doesn’t win, poor bastard. Why the Oilers have 70 lefties is beyond me. Holy Hannabelles.

9. LMHF#1 says:

Woodguy v2.0: I’m not LT but I did just drink a beer.

I would not doubt if the PA referred to it as “the Sam Pollock Rule”

10. Chachi says:

Jethro Tull: Because when, at the draft, The Magnificent Bastard said “everyone who we wanted is gone”, he was told “just take whoever’s left.”

Fantastic.

11. spoiler says:

hunter1909:

Everyone wins, except Phoenix.

If it helps, there is also an organizational limit too. 50 man refers to number of contracts, but there is up to an 80 man limit of players, including Juniors, Europeans etc who are not yet signed.

12. Rondo says:

Whats up with Ryan Murray is he available?

Rondo:
    Whats up with Ryan Murray is he available?

I haven’t read anything about him being available.

14. Woodguy v2.0 says:

LMHF#1: Which is very shortsighted. All it winds up doing is reducing the number of NHL-associated jobs out there.

How’s that?

15. Rondo says:

I haven’t read anything, I was just thinking of under preforming right handed D-men.

16. LMHF#1 says:

Woodguy v2.0: How’s that?

17. who says:

Watching the Jets and the Hawks tonight. Still think the Jets are a good fit as an Oiler trading partner. They really need a Dman, preferably a left shooter.
    IF the oilers are going to trade Davidson, which young jet forward would interest you?
    I like two young centers, petan and Copp. I would see them in two different roles for the oilers but would a Davidson trade for one of these guys make sense

18. Glass says:

It seems like it would be a given that Paigan, Jones, and Bear would be coming on over.

There’s got to be a deal that we can make where we can swap out some LHD prospects for prospects of need. Like swap Musil for a RHD, and Lagesson for a RHC or something.

19. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Rondo:
    Whats up with Ryan Murray is he available?

He’s playing 3rd pairing in CBJ and not doing that well.

CBJ runs a pretty flat distribution of TOI vs Elite Forwards like EDM does.

Johnson-Savrard (Johnson 37% vs Elite forwards)
    Werenski-Jones (Jones 34% vs Elite forwards)
    Murray- Nuutivara (Murray 30% vs EF, Nutivaara 24%)

I think Murray’s 30% is an artifact of starting the season with Johnson.

20. Showerhead says:

I’m not Lowetide or Woodguy or even Woodguy v2.0 but I am currently having a beer and it is good.

You probably thought I was going to add to the discussion here but nope, that’s my post.

21. Gordies Elbow says:

Showerhead:

I just cracked a beer, looking forward to the game tomorrow night. Cheers!

22. Scungilli says:

BPA.

If you understand draft odds you’d always start picking to fill holes at about 25-30 IMO.

Too hard to accurately pick BPA’s

EDIT – unless you’er the EO’s and you man crush your picks and end up doing BPA

Showerhead:

I am having a third Stella. So good.

24. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Showerhead:

Excellent post.

Would read again.

25. Showerhead says:

Gordies Elbow,

Cheers, gents. Mine is a Little Scrapper (IPA) which is a Winnipeg local (we don’t have many of those) and you have inspired me to open a second.

26. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Lowetide: I am having a third Stella. So good.

Stella in a can or from a keg is such good beer.

27. Woodguy v2.0 says:

LMHF#1: Teams could have more than 50 players under contract if they weren’t limited. No AHL-only deals, etc.

So you’re saying there should be more NHL/AHL deals instead of AHL only?

I’d argue that AHL only deals that pay $250K/yr are better than $800K NHL/ $80K AHL 2-ways deals.

ARTICLE 9 9.4-9.4

Draft Year
    Maximum Minor League
    Compensation
    2005 US$ 62,500
    2006 US$ 62,500
    2007 US$ 65,000
    2008 US$ 65,000
    2009 US$ 67,500
    2010 US$ 67,500
    2011 – 2022 US$ 70,000

The NHL and NHLPA max out at $70K for AHL time for players on a 2 way deal.

Maybe the “50 man” instead of the “60 man” make those extra 10 players per team (so 310 players as of next year) more money on AHL deals.

Or KHL deals or other deals in Europe that pay six figures.

If that’s true, then the “50 man” rule does favour players.

28. Showerhead says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Ha. It probably ranks among my best work. Most concise, for sure.

29. Jethro Tull says:

Woodguy v2.0: Stella in a can or from a keg is such good beer.

I remember taking the then future Mrs Tull to Bremen to the Becks brewery when i was stationed in Bad Fallingbostal, an hour’s drive away. The Becks tasted there how the Guiness tastes in Dublin. And they steadfastly refuse to serve ladies a stein. It’s in a tasteful tall glass. But buyer beware; never, ever drink European beers at anything less than as cold as possible. My personal favourite is Warsteiner, followed by Pauliner. Delicious.

30. Yeti says:

Jethro Tull,

Jever Pils make your list?

31. Centre of attention says:

Chiarelli taking in Tampa – Minnesota game tonight.

32. Snowman says:

Centre of attention:
    Chiarelli taking in Tampa – Minnesota game tonight.

I’m guessing Brian Boyle. Would not be disappointed to somehow get Johnson.

Centre of attention:
    Chiarelli taking in Tampa – Minnesota game tonight.

gOTTA Be Boyle?

34. kinger_OIL says:

– Great post LT! Re: Russel. Maybe this has been brought up before but it’s my understanding that Russel could in fact be picked by Vegas: “Vegas will be granted a 48 hour window prior to the draft to sign any pending free agent (RFA or UFA, one per team) that was left unprotected”

– I don’t think Chia is a stupid man: and if Russell isnt’ picked by Vegas, there is little reason to believe Chia would overpay him…

– And I’m a Beck’s drinker: Stella is not in the same league in terms of quality, although it saddens me that Becks is owned by Interbrew for at least 10 years (as is Stella). Self-respecting Belgians no longer drink Stella: but Germans still love Becks…

35. Centre of attention says:

Probably.

If it’s Davidson going the other way we better get a second round pick added to Boyle. And I still don’t like that trade. (To be honest we probably won’t even get the pick, which would be a robbery)

Ugh. Watching Davidson emerge as a top 4D on another team is going to suck so bad. *sighs and glances at a photo of Jeff Petry*

36. Centre of attention says:

I mean, if we can re-sign Boyle and get 2 more useful years out of him (assuming there’s still tread on the tires) at a reasonable price point maybe the deal looks a bit better but obviously that is assuming a lot there.

This Davidson for a rental or picks nonsense + the Russel factor are enough to make me very uneasy this summer. This team could be elite pretty quickly if Chiarelli plays his cards right. So far though, he’s holding his cards face out so everybody can see and he’s going all in on every bet. Buckle up.

37. Jethro Tull says:

Yeti:
    Jethro Tull,

Jever Pils make your list?

Not had the pleasure. Will add it to the list that seems to get longer, not shorter.

38. Soup Fascist says:

Can anyone explain to me what makes Davidson a likely Top 4 D?

The Oilers aren’t exactly the Murderer’s row of D Corps and I have Davidson well behind Sekera, Klefbom, Nurse at a minimum, on the left side. I am not sure the Reinhart story has totally been written (granted this may be hope more than pragmatism).

I love the kid’s story, but he is oft-injured, not physically intimidating and an average puck mover. Caleb Jones seems to have a higher ceiling. Again, he is a good player but I fail to see him as integral to the Oilers, now or in the future.

If moving him pays significant dividends, even in the short term, pat him on the back, wish him well and give him a ride to the airport.

39. leadfarmer says:

Snowman: I’m guessing Brian Boyle. Would not be disappointed to somehow get Johnson.

With their cap issues and Palat Johnson and Drouin needing raises I wouldn’t be surprised if they shed Boyle and Johnson

40. Centre of attention says:

Bear gets his 20th

41. Klima's_Bucket says:

If the Bolts need D, why not swap problems?

Filppula for Fayne

With some salary held to make the money work.

42. Professor Q says:

At least it wouldn’t be Dan Boyle?

43. LubeOil says:

Oilers finally get Coburn?

Oilers cost controlled LD and proven F for TBay large LC and passable RD.

I would deliberate that for a while, depending on the names involved. This scenario has the makings of a good hockey trade, so I don’t expect it to happen, but I am a fan so I dream big.

44. who says:

LubeOil:
    Oilers finally get Coburn?

Oilers cost controlled LD and proven F for TBay large LC and passable RD.

Huh?

45. Robinthe403 says:

Good evening Lowetidians,

Much consternation and hand-wringing in the Oilogosphere over what Las Vegas will attempt to poach from the Oilers roster come expansion draft time…

Laying in bed here something just occurred to me. We drafted Graham McPhee, George’s boy, last Spring did we not? Now, I realize he’s not yet signed, just played his first year at Boston College I believe, but there has gotta be an angle, a point of leverage we can exploit here I would think.

To some degree the Oilers will contribute to young Graham’s development in these precious formative years for an aspiring pro hockey prospect. Given that reality I can’t imagine his dad would want to engage in any overly contentious business with the club that will control his son’s career path to some degree for the foreseeable future. Maybe the old man won’t give a shit, but I bet it’s at least a thought that he has had once or twice.

PC: Hey George, I think you’ll be quite happy with Tyler Pitlick, he’s due for some luck health-wise and he’ll surely blossom for you guys. Great bloodlines too…

GMcP: I dunno Pete, I’m thinking Patty Maroon would be a great fit for us…

PC: does Graham have a Nintendo DS? The bus rides in Norfolk are long, George… Pitlick is your guy!

Or, perhaps a move even closer to home for Mr. McPhee, we see something like this:

-EDM trades the rights to 2016 un-signed draft pick Graham McPhee to Las Vegas
    -Las Vegas selects Anton Lander from EDM with their Expansion Draft Selection

Perhaps just my imagination running a but wild here but a connection between the two organizations does exist, even if it can be argued that the ties are faint at best.

I’m curious to see how it all plays out.

G’night!

46. oscarmike says:

I totally would expect Johnson over Boyle for a 3rd C.
    Oilers are a good team now. Boyle would have made
    a decent 3rd C on the Oilers 2 years ago but not now.
    Chiarelli and Yzerman are buddies. I would expect something
    more dynamic then just a trade for Boyle.

No higher than a 5th round pick for Boyle.
    He’s a fading 4th C player worth $2million THIS year.

47. LubeOil says:

who,

TB has some cap issues according to capfriendly.com, so I am just hoping that the trade is a little more than grabbing Boyle is all. Oilers have had a woody for Coburn before, and being a Chia type player who is also RD, maybe there is potential for a real hockey trade that helps both teams. TB for future and the Oilers for the “here and now”. With the right combo of players (Boyle, Coburn and Lander, Fayne for example only) there could be a mutually beneficial trade. Feel free to interchange any names that might make sense in the equation, all I’m saying is that the two potential trade partners could both gain from talking it through.

48. oscarmike says:

Soup Fascist:
    Can anyone explain to me what makes Davidson a likely Top 4 D?

I love the kid’s story, but he is oft-injured, not physically intimidating and an average puck mover.Caleb Jones seems to have a higher ceiling.Again, he is a good player but I fail to see him as integral to the Oilers, now or in the future.

Last year he went +7 on a poor Edmonton team. He was really good last year at shutting down players. He’s good at anticipating the play. He’s a responsible shut down defenceman.
    I wouldn’t say he’s a Top 4 D but just a 4th D. He plays a simple but effective game.

and his injuries weren’t because he was wreckless. Last year he got tied up with Buff and then this year Tkachuk slew footed him.

49. Bruce McCurdy says:

LubeOil:
    who,

TB has some cap issues according tocapfriendly.com, so I am just hoping that the trade is a little more than grabbing Boyle is all. Oilers have had a woody for Coburn before, and being a Chia type player who is also RD, maybe there is potential for a real hockey trade that helps both teams. TB for future and the Oilers for the “here and now”. With the right combo of players (Boyle, Coburn and Lander, Fayne for example only) there could be a mutually beneficial trade. Feel free to interchange any names that might make sense in the equation, all I’m saying is that the two potential trade partners could both gain from talking it through.

Braydon Coburn shoots left.

Bruce McCurdy: Braydon Coburn shoots left.

That would make a helluva title for a western.

51. Soup Fascist says:

oscarmike: Last year he went +7 on a poor Edmonton team. He was really good last year at shutting down players. He’s good at anticipating the play.He’s a responsible shut down defenceman.

and his injuriesweren’t because he was wreckless. Last year he got tied up with Buff and then this year Tkachuk slew footed him.

So which of 2, 77 or 25 do you trade or put in the press box to make room for him??

52. Pastor of Disaster says:

Robinthe403,

It would be great to maximize and manipulate the McPhee connection, as suggested above, I just don’t think it’s likely. The cries of nepotism would be overwhelming, especially for a franchise laying its foundations, like Las Vegas.

As Oilers fans, we’re used to franchises making decisions based on personal relationships with employees and employees-to-be. It might surprise us to learn, therefore, that successful franchises make personnel decisions based on things other than who has to sit by each other at Thanksgiving dinner.

Can you imagine if the Oilers passed over a Brandon Davidson equivalent in the Carolina franchise….. in order to select Keegan Lowe? Kingsway would burn to the ground.

53. spoiler says:

I think I drink more when there’s no hockey…

*kicks the few unkicked bits of the furniture drinks beer grumble grumble*

54. Soup Fascist says:

Lowetide: That would make a helluva title for a western.

I believe it was the less successful sequel to Rooster Cogburn Heads West.

55. franksterra says:

Django, Kill!

56. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Woodguy v2.0: So you’re saying there should be more NHL/AHL deals instead of AHL only?

ARTICLE 9 9.4-9.4

Draft Year
    Maximum Minor League
    Compensation
    2005 US$ 62,500
    2006 US$ 62,500
    2007 US$ 65,000
    2008 US$ 65,000
    2009 US$ 67,500
    2010 US$ 67,500
    2011 – 2022 US$ 70,000

The NHL and NHLPA max out at $70K for AHL time for players on a 2 way deal.

Or KHL deals or other deals in Europe that pay six figures.

If that’s true, then the “50 man” rule does favour players.

The salaries I quoted here are for ELC’s so my entire post is wrong.

Sorry LMHF.

57. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Jethro Tull: In the UK, it is classed as domestic beer, as so much of it is drunk. It used to taste different, as like Becks, they boosted the alcohol to travel. Now with better technology for freshness and more consistent brewing under license, it tastes the same.

Cool.

Haven’t spent much time in Ol’ Blighty, usually just to change planes or a day, but have spent time in Holland and Germany.

Bitburger from a keg was my fave, better than Stella.

I know a lot of people who think Becks, Grolsh, Stella, Heineken etc are too “skunky”

That’s because they’ve only tried it out of the bottle.

By the time it gets here, it IS skunky.

Green glass < Brown glass <<<<<<<<<<< Keg < Aluminum Can for keeping the beer's taste where it should be and keeping the skunk away.

Heiny tends to be a bit skunky in a can too so I just avoid it.

58. Pouzar says:

Showerhead:
    Gordies Elbow,

Love that beer. Their brewery is just a few blocks away from me. You are making sober February difficult!

59. who says:

LubeOil:
    who,

Oh okay, couldn’t figure out what trade you were proposing. Dont see fayne and Lander as players for the future and Colburn is a lefty so don’t really see this happening.

60. LubeOil says:

Bruce McCurdy,

That is a very good point. Perhaps I shouldn’t let the tequila speak for me before I check the facts on what it is saying. Fuzzy memory and all…

61. LubeOil says:

who,

The cap relief it would provide TB is what I was considering as a move for the future on their part, but at any rate it was a poorly thought out trade idea.