TRADE DEADLINE 2017:15 FOR THE OILERS

Peter Chiarelli made a small trade on February 1, adding forward Henrik Samuelsson in exchange for winger Mitchell Moroz. After yesterday’s avail, some may feel Edmonton will be inactive from now through the deadline. I don’t agree, suspect we will see at least some tinkering. We looked at possibilities in January, let’s have another look today.

CHIARELLI RECENT DEADLINE DEALS

• March 2, 2015: Traded second-round picks that turned into Matt Spencer (2015) and Boris Katchouk (2016) for RW Brett Connolly.
  • March 2, 2015: Traded C Jordan Caron and sixth-round selection used on Oscar Steen to Colorado Avalanche for C Maxime Talbot and LW Paul Carey.
  • February 24, 2016: Dealt the rights to RHD Phil Larsen to Vancouver Canucks for 2017 fifth-round selection.
  • February 27, 2016: Traded RHD Justin Schultz to the Pittsburgh Penguins for third-round selection used on RHD Filip Berglund.
  • February 27, 2016: Traded RW Teddy Purcell to Florida Panthers for third-round pick that turned into LHD Matthew Cairns.
  • February 27, 2016: Traded G Anders Nilsson to the St. Louis Blues for G Nicklas Lundstrom and the fifth-round selection used on LW Graham McPhee.
  • February 29, 2016: Acquired LW Patrick Maroon from the Anaheim Ducks for LHD Martin Gernat and the pick that was used on LW Jack Kopacka.

I think the Connolly deal might an interesting item to remember, if not this time possibly one year from now.

15 FOR THE OILERS

1. Arizona Coyotes: C Martin Hanzal shouldn’t be on this list, but I saw him last night. The cost currently (based on reports) is a young Mickey Mantle, so one imagines a team closer to Stanley will pay the price.
  2. Arizona Coyotes: R Radim Vrbata is also a rental, might be a perfect fit—except, he has a bonus coming with a playoff performance and the Oilers are apparently close to the cap (with bonus overages).
  3. Buffalo Sabres: G Anders Nilsson. 20 games this year, .922SP and a 9-7-4 record with a struggling team. I still think EDM should give Laurent Brossoit a chance, but Nilsson is an enticing option.
  4. Colorado Avalanche: C Matt Duchene has a $6M cap and the Habs are backing up a Patrick Roy package, but Duchene as an Oiler is too tantalizing to ignore. Can you imagine?  Teams would need oxygen placed at center ice and in all four corners of the rink.
  5. Colorado Avalanche: R Jarome Iginla is 1-2-3 in his last 7 games, and he is being mentioned here and there. I don’t see it. It would have been a great story, and a substantial boost, but Edmonton’s turn arrived too late for a storybook chapter for one of the best locals ever.
  6. Dallas Stars: R Patrick Sharp (32gp, 7-6-13) is one of my current favorites for Edmonton, partly due to his shot totals. His 95 shots in 32 games could represent an ideal match for Connor McDavid down the stretch. Price shouldn’t be too severe, interesting option.
  7. Dallas Stars: R Patrick Eaves has 21 goals and a reasonable UFA contract, he should go for a big asset or two excellent ones. Averaging 4.57 shot attempts per game, that is the kind of shot volume Peter Chiarelli is probably looking for as a match for Connor McDavid (Jordan Eberle is also in the range, 4.52, but has had miserable luck this year).
  8. Detroit Red Wings: L Thomas Vanek (43gp, 14-22-36) is going to be an expensive addition, and I still wonder if Detroit signs him before the deadline. Probably not a strong option for Edmonton because of the price, he would be close to a perfect fit.
  9. Florida Panthers: RC Nick Bjugstad is absolutely a wheelhouse player for Peter Chiarelli based on his own established past. His contract is a dog, but no guts, no glory. He is 1-2-3 in five games since his return. Fascinating and scary (because contract) option.
  10. Florida Panthers: G Reto Berra is in the AHL (27gp, .907) and shouldn’t cost a bunch. A reasonable approach might be to give Brossoit a couple of starts in the next two weeks and then make a decision.
  11. New Jersey Devils: LHD Yohann Auvitu. I refuse to give up on this idea, especially because the Devils seem to be unaware of his potential. Sleeper I admit, but a worthy acquisition.
  12. Philadelphia Flyers: R Matt Read is making big coin ($3.625M for this and next season) while shooting and scoring less this year (42gp, 7-5-12). Unlikely acquisition, but I like his speed and Edmonton needs some.
  13. Philadelphia Flyers: G Michal Neuvirth. He was strong in January (6gp, .919) and is duplicating it in February (4gp, .940), and maybe Philadelphia signs him to a new deal. An attractive option if available.
  14. Tampa Bay Lightning: C Brian Boyle (50g, 13-7-20) is apparently a player of interest to Edmonton, and at 6.06, 244 I imagine Peter Chiarelli has time for him. I cannot figure out a fair deal (Davidson has term and is inexpensive, you need something back that is going to have value beyond April if you are the Oilers) but maybe it becomes player and pick for player and pick.
  15. Vancouver Canucks: R Alex Burrows (I know, I know) has 9-11-20 in 51 games and could offer the Oilers some scoring depth and another giant pile of agitation for opponents. It would be a very weird trade.

58 Responses to "TRADE DEADLINE 2017:15 FOR THE OILERS"

1. supernova says:

Spam Alert

Since we are talking Trade, my latest post I looked at Duchene compared to Hall.

I know I am dreaming.

End Spam

2. fifthcartel says:

I’m still pretty surprised Boston declined to qualify Brett Connolly. 25 points (on Boston) isn’t much but he’s been fairly useful on a stacked Washington team.

18 points in 42 games. 4.8 rel CF%, 2.35 points per 60. although, 20% shooting percentage.

Still seems like a solid depth player even taking into account the high shooting %.

3. OilClog says:

Great post, then ducking quack finger biting Burrows gets thrown on the menu. No chefs special thank you very much.

This teams needs shooters and someone to win some face offs, Iginla, Sharp, and Boyle would be awfully interesting.

Duchene for Nuge, Pulj, and a 1st. Crazy cost but damn I want to see Tron on ice.

4. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Yeah, no thanks (Burrows).

Ha ha

5. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

OilClog:

That’s an insane package and also decimates the right side depth chart further. Any trade should at least be made from an area of strength, so left side D. It also fits a need for the Avs. That’s why they allegedly want Hanifin+ in a trade for Duchene.

Now do you trade Nurse, a 1st and another piece for Duchene? Argh…that’ll hurt. But JP is untouchable at this stage, I think.

6. Woogie63 says:

I see the 2016-17 play-offs as more training for the team. I would add Nurse, Reinhart, Kahaira and Puljajari so the cluster gets to experience what the play-off games are like.

Rentals on a growth team seems off strategy.

7. Moose says:

Wonder if something like this works:

Davidson (1yr left at $1.425m)
    3rd round pick (Oil have two 3rds)

for

Boyle ($2m UFA)
    Condra (1 yr left at $1.25m)
    2nd round pick (Oil need one)

Oil take Condra as a bottom 6 option / Hendricks replacement if they can deal him in separate trade. Helps Tampa move a little money for guys they need to re-sign next year. They can always bury him for $300k if he can’t beat out (Khaira, Pitlick, etc).

8. HugThePost says:

it’s going to be fun this year to not be one of the teams expected to ‘blow it up’ and start all over.

The thought of Burrows and Kassian both as Oilers is kind of bizarre though.

9. theDjdj says:

If I trade with the Avs I’m not paying full price and I’m certainly not overpaying. They’re in the weak bargaining position.

Zero way Duchene resigns with Avs in two if they don’t sort out their club. Zero way they sort out their club unless they offload contracts like Duchene’s.

Colorado is going to want to extract value for their assets while they can. And any team that can afford the type of payment being asked can probably afford the UFA contract. If you’re a trading team you’re thinking “you’re trading me two years of Duchene”.

The comparisons with Hall are relevant from a player perspective but not at a trade level. The Oilers were in a better position than the Avalanche and Hall has a better contract and is younger.

The trade starts at Nurse 1 for 1 and doesn’t go past Nurse +.

10. Glass says:

I don’t see why you can’t just run McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, and Letestu as your four pivots.

I’d prefer to pick up a veteran RW, preferably Sharp, Vanek, and Vrbata in that order. Then throw said player on McDavid’s wing and you’re set. Imagine having Lucic & Sharp guiding McDavid & Drai through the playoffs. They’ve been there and done that.

Also, I maintain that we should sell Hendricks. I would rather see Pouliot, Caggulia, and Khaira at 4LW over him. Furthermore, I’d rather the youngsters get playoff experience ASAP since they will likely have a future with this team.

11. GMB3 says:

Who would you rather see go? Nurse or Klef?

12. Melman says:

what no Jagr? What better present than to trade him to McDavid’s wing for his birthday.

13. stevezie says:

GMB3,
    Nurse. By a mile.

Klef’s contract is too perfect for a team with trouble luring/keeping players.

14. Glass says:

GMB3,

Neither. But if I had to choose, probably Nurse. We still have Davidson/Reinhart/Oesterle/Russel who can fill on the 3rd pairing. Not to mention, we’ve got Jones and Paigan as pretty solid prospects.

I think keeping both is important, Klefbomb and Larsson are a good pairing who balance each other out well. Once Sekera is off the roster, (assuming we sell him on the last year of his modified no move clause), Nurse permanently takes 2LHD and we’ve got so much depth on LHD that 3LHD won’t be a problem at that time.

Nurse seems to track as a more complete defensemen. Am I wrong? From what I noticed he doesn’t use his shot from the point much, that’s my only knock on him. Most importantly, he’s physical, and I think it’s important to have a defender who is physical on every pairing. I also think that Benning is a good partner for him, as he’s a mini right-handed Sekera. Benning isn’t flashy, makes the smart simple decision, and provides a lot of stability.

If Bear is possibly our future 3RHD, (he fits our needs like a glove), then you’d probably be looking for a big, physical LHD who is more of a shut-down D. Minimum. Emphasis on the defensive side obviously. Reinhart certainly fits the bill, Paigan certainly has the frame but I’m not sure how physical he is.

15. Glass says:

GMB3,

My question to you: What kind of return would you want for Nurse or Klefbomb?

16. npanciroli says:

The Oilers will never trade Nurse, but trading him for Duchene makes a lot of sense. Need to dump Pouliot or something also for cap I imagine.

17. Diablo says:

stevezie:
    GMB3,
    Nurse. By a mile.

Klef’s contract is too perfect for a team with trouble luring/keeping players.

Agree – Klef is untouchable right now – he’s got another gear offensively and defensively left, and he’s already very good. His contract is incredible value.

The Avs would want more than Nurse alone for Duchene. As much as I’d love to see his speed and face off prowess here, I don’t think Chia does Nurse + 1st.

We’re going to lose one of Davidson or Reinhart to expansion – Nurse is exempt. Also, have to think that Nurse is exhibit A of a Chia-type player.

After what Chia gave up to rebuild the D-corps, I don’t think he’ll trade from his depth there. A lot is said around here about the Leftorium – but I don’t see much legitimate NHL talent beyond Nurse. None of Reinhart, Musil, Simpson, Oesterle can be trusted to play regular minutes in the NHL yet – honestly I’d move any one of these guys for a scoring RW or a 3C. And Jones and Paygin are no where close to being ready.

Next year is shaping up to be:
    Klefbom-Larsson
    Sekera-Benning
    Nurse-?

With the ? being filled by one of Davidson or Reinhart.
    If Russell and Gryba don’t return, then there’s not much depth. Take Nurse away from that and our 3rd pairing will look awfully similar to the Falmes.

I’d love one of Sharpe or Eaves here – any idea what the cost would be?

18. striatic says:

Alex Burrows would be hilarious, but seems exactly like the kind of Rental Market splurge that Chiarelli is saying he will avoid. If Vrbata doesn’t fit at his relatively minuscule cap hit, it is extremely difficult to see Burrows doing so. Vrbata is the better option on all fronts and surely easier to make the money work.

Chiarelli’s supportive comments about LB aside, the Edmonton Oilers need a better option as their backup netminder. Having either Nilsson or Neuvirth, whichever one you can do the best deal for.

The worst thing that could happen down the stretch is Talbot being injured post deadline and LB faltering, putting the Oilers into a tailspin. Having Nilsson or Neuvirth AND LB should provide sufficient stability to get the Oilers to the playoffs with a reasonable chance to compete. Even if he doesn’t end up injured, Talbot should get an average amount of rest leading into the playoffs instead of the one-man-army routine he’s been performing of late.

Adding at other positions would be nice, but depth at G is of paramount importance.

19. Optimism is like heroin says:

May I suggest a Davidson for Patrick Berglund?

Versatile forward who can play either side or center …. wins faceoffs, stats not inflated by too much PP time, right side of 30, plenty of playoff experience, signable for immediate future.

Also he is a shooter with above average shot and is used to playing in a heavy style of hockey. Just my 2 cents but seems like a possible long term add that would help the team not just in the here and now plus wouldn’t cost too many picks.

20. leadfarmer says:

If I was GM I would be a seller at this trade deadline and not a buyer. Those pieces are too expensive for rentals and I don’t see us winning the cup.
    Trade Russell for a second
    Trade Hendricks for a 4th
    Have these guys get some experience before addressing issues in the offseason. This team is not a Brian Boyle away from winning the cup

21. npanciroli says:

leadfarmer,

I would love to see this.

22. JDï™ says:

striatic: If Vrbata doesn’t fit at his relatively minuscule cap hit

$2.25M in performance bonuses in his contract:

Edit to add from CF:

CONTRACT NOTE: If Vrbata plays 30 games $500,000 in bonuses. If he reaches 20 goals or 40 points he’ll earn another $500,000. Also can add up to 1,250,000 more in play-off performance bonuses.

23. npanciroli says:

Also, 1-0 Philly!

24. JDï™ says:

The Hermit,

How nice of them to find a picture of him with an evil grin on his face.

25. Diablo says:

leadfarmer:
    Trade Russell for a second
    Trade Hendricks for a 4th
    Have these guys get some experience before addressing issues in the offseason.This team is not a Brian Boyle away from winning the cup

I would not be surprised if that happened. Chia’s verbal yesterday would line up with the notion that he’s going to sell off parts that he doesn’t think will be here in 1-2 years when the Oilers go from being “in the conversation” (for the playoffs) to cup contender. He seems to know that we are not a Brian Boyle away from winning the cup.

He may also look to pick up another forward with term who can be protected in the expansion draft – almost certainly they are going 7-3-1 – doubt he leaves Pat Maroon unprotected – the guys not a sexy name, but he is a damn good fit with Connor.

And to those of you who were suggesting “buying low and selling high” on Maroon in the last thread – this is not the stock market – thinking like this is why we can’t have nice things. “Buy low and sign to a contract extension for reasonable money” should be the mantra.

And this is not NHl17 either – this fantasy of getting sexy All-star or hot-shot junior player to play with McDavid – then Shazam! instant chemistry! – is completely naive. McDavid thinks pass first, second and third – he needs to play with someone who will go to the net hard and convert his tap-ins – a skill that is much, much harder than it looks. It takes speed, size, timing and good body/stick positioning to consistently get underneath NHL d-men and convert these chances – Maroon has always had this kind of ability, but up until this year his conditioning was holding him back. He’s the perfect winger for McDavid – stop trying to look for a solution to problem that doesn’t exist.

26. The Hermit says:

JDï™,

He’s either a donkey or a horse, depending on facts.

27. JDï™ says:

Chia if you’re here tonight – some strategy to pass along to Todd:

28. --hudson-- says:

rooster_monkey:
    Lunchalytics talks on hockey stats today. Here’s the live stream happening right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj1WzYxUEV0

Thanks for posting this in the earlier thread!

I think that is gmoney in the first 20 minutes of the stream and Dan Haight gives the final 20 minutes.

29. Soup Fascist says:

Man, that Tkachuk is a smarmy little prick.

I eagerly await the day he pisses Darnell off.

30. dustrock says:

Unless a team wants to overpay now, Duchene sounds almost certainly like an offseason trade, a la Hall.

Why would Colorado move him for anything but an overpay as they are historically bad as it is.

31. Professor Q says:

Soup Fascist:
    Man, that Tkachuk is a smarmy little prick.

I eagerly await the day he pisses Darnell off.

What occurred?

And why does the NHL let people like him get away with their antics yet throw the book at people like Vermette?

32. leadfarmer says:

Diablo,

Yeah that’s why I never bought into the a monkey can score 30 goals with McDavid. He thinks and does things so uniquely that is hard to anticipate.

33. Soup Fascist says:

Professor Q: What occurred?

Sorry, he was just interviewed on Sportsnet between periods. Talked about getting squirted by a water bottle on the Philly bench when he chirped – last game I presume.

Of course he just got his 2nd point of the game as I type this.

Manages to piss me off from 300 km away without even trying.

Prick.

34. OriginalPouzar says:

Vermette intentionally slashed an official – I know it was pretty much a love-tap but the rulebook is clear – minimum 10 game suspension – as it should be.

35. Centre of attention says:

Soup Fascist:
    Man, that Tkachuk is a smarmy little prick.

I eagerly await the day he pisses Darnell off.

Darnell is the kind of guy who doesn’t even need to be pissed off.

He’ll catch Tkachuk trying to sneak off the ice by the Flames bench and feed the little puke his teeth next pre-season. Or at least he would if this was 1989, things aren’t really done that way anymore.

Never say never though with Nurse. He’s the kind of guy who doesn’t mind taking a suspension if it means getting his pound of flesh.

36. Professor Q says:

OriginalPouzar:

I know it’s the rule. But he was only trying to get his attention.

Tkatchuk has literally tried to kill and/or destroy the career of players on multiple occasions and has gotten away every time.

37. oscarmike says:

Until Lucic can start producing again I’m calling him Lipstick

38. JDï™ says:

Imagine that – a Sutter singing the praises of Engelland during the intermission.

39. JDï™ says:

oscarmike: I’m calling him Lipstick

That’s very cleaver.

40. Soup Fascist says:

oscarmike:
    Until Lucic can start producing again I’m calling him Lipstick

…. to his face?

41. Diablo says:

Centre of attention: Darnell is the kind of guy who doesn’t even need to be pissed off.

More reason not to even consider trading Darnell.
    That’s not to say that Duchene is not a much better player than Darnell now and for at least the next 2-3 years – if we’re looking at pure statistical impact there’s no argument to be made, so I’m cognizant of the concern regarding overvaluing our young players.

But that puke Tkachuk is going to take a run at Connor someday, and we need Darnell around to feed him his teeth for the next decade. Darnell’s enthusiasm for violence is so unique in this regard, that we’d never find anyone to replace him.

I think we should give up on the idea of Duchene really – there are other trading partners that make much more sense that Edmonton – I was thinking Columbus could put together an enticing offer like Murray and Jenner + one of the their goalie prospects.

42. supernova says:

theDjdj:

The trade starts at Nurse 1 for 1 and doesn’t go past Nurse +.

My point of the post was Duchene is Elite.

I believe next year is a key year in Oilers assett management land. Before McDavid Extension kicks in and can afford even less scorers.

Duchene, Drai & McDavid as your offensive core makes any coach very happy.

I don’t expect any trade with Colorado. But becuse I believe Duchene is Elite I am willing to pay 1.25 for 1 in assets. I get it that many wouldn’t.

A core of McDavid, Draisaitl, probably Puljujarvi, (Lucic, because of the contract) at forward,

and Larsson, Klefbom, Sekera, Nurse at D,

is one that should be able to contend for an extended period of time, if the Oilers ever get above average coaching to coach up the new supporting role players (a la Belichek) every season.

No way in hell I trade any of those 4 D, three of whom are already on good to great long term cointracts, and Nurse should be able to be signed long term at a reasonable number.

Duchene is an $8 to $8 million dollar man in two year. No way you can afford him. Giving up Klefbom or Nurse (and a first and probably Puljujarvi) for two years of Duchene is nuts, IMHO.

44. Professor Q says:

Soup Fascist: …. to his face?

He’ll probably only try to fight you if you said it to him while he’s drunk.

45. theDjdj says:

JDï™:
    Chia if you’re here tonight – some strategy to pass along to Todd:

AFL on a lowetide blog? Well I never.

46. theDjdj says:

supernova: My point of the post was Duchene is Elite.

Duchene, Drai & McDavid as your offensive core makes any coach very happy.

No question he’s elite. This isn’t a knock on the player. It’s simply good business. We’ve the stronger bargaining position. And to be honest, we shouldn’t keep overspending to fill needs.

47. GMB3 says:

godot10:

and Larsson, Klefbom, Sekera, Nurse at D,

Duchene is an $8 to $8 million dollar man in two year.No way you can afford him.Giving up Klefbom or Nurse (and a first and probably Puljujarvi) for two years of Duchene is nuts, IMHO.

Might be better off seeing if he is willing to take a pay cut in 2 years opposed to mortgaging the farm for him now and finding out we can’t keep him anyways.

Couple of cups or a few cup finals should be enticing #optimism #visuallybetter

48. MrEd says:

Interesting line-up of articles over at The Nation.

Sekera and Letestu are something according to our host and Robin Brownlee respectively. Some good pudding.
    To my eye both have been, in their second years with the club, massive contributors.

Lucic by Jonathen Willis is next…

49. theDjdj says:

DeBrincat scored his 100th point for his third straight year in the OHL. Shoots right. Has played with McDavid. Is there a trade to be made with the Hawks?

50. striatic says:

JDï™: $2.25M in performance bonuses in his contract:

Edit to add from CF:

51. Professor Q says:

theDjdj:

Not to mention Raddysh. Sigh.

striatic: That’s still a million and change lower than Burrows’ base cap hit, assuming Vrbata runs the table on his playoff bonuses

The OIlers have or will likely max out their bonuses this year with McDavid and Draisaitl. It means Vrbata’s million plus bonuses will come directly off the cap next year, in what is probably a flat cap year.

Vrbata thus is an extremely expensive UFA rental, because he will knock over one million dollars off your cap next year, even before re-signing him or paying him a penny.

Vrbata ONLY makes sense for a team who has bonus room available under the cap THIS SEASON. That is NOT the OIlers.

53. frjohnk says:

godot10: The OIlers have or will likely max out their bonuses this year with McDavid and Draisaitl.It means Vrbata’s million plus bonuses will come directly off the cap next year, in what is probably a flat cap year.

Vrbata ONLY makes sense for a team who has bonus room available under the cap THIS SEASON.That is NOT the OIlers.

Vrbata gets 250k when the team makes the playoffs and 250k for each round the teams wins for up to a total of $1.25M

54. Truth says:

I despise Burrows, but I also despised Kassian prior to him becoming an Oiler. Burrow’s is an interesting option as an extremely poor man’s Marchand to Chiarelli.

55. Mr. D. says:

Gryba and Davey were out shot but they got the puck moving out of the zone. Unfortunately they change and then first pairing comes on to get the offensive shots thus oits a deceptive corsi.