SALE ON SAIL ON, SAILOR (BUYERS EDITION)

If you hang around long enough, names come back to you like a boomerang. An example: Mikhail Grigorenko, who was under consideration for No. 1 overall in 2012. Edmonton flew him in for an interview on June 6, 2012, and that is absolutely confirmation of interest. Of course, that was several managers ago, but Grigorenko’s appearance on the recent TSN Trade Deadline list piqued my interest. What has Mr. G been up to?

First, he is in Colorado, playing for the Avalanche. He is listed at No. 17 among names in play, and is listed as a LW at this time. He is 53, 6-12-18 this season, 14:50 a night, is still 6.03 and is now 209. Grigorenko is regarded as having exceptional skills but lacks consistency. He last scored on Valentine’s day. He turns 23 in May, and boasts a 55.6 faceoff percentage but has taken only 142 of them. I am uncertain of the meaning of it, there are some bad percentages on the team who have taken more faceoffs.

ORIGINAL SCOUTING REPORT

• Corey Pronman: “He’s an exceptionally gifted player who can control the flow of a hockey game seemingly at will with elite puck skills, vision, offensive creativity, and overall hockey sense. He makes high level dekes seem effortless and is the kind of player who is able to slow the game down to his pace rather than try to keep up with it. His ability as a playmaker is really special as he is the classic “eyes in the back of his head” type of player who consistently makes high-level reads quickly and effectively. Grigorenko’s hand skills allow him to keep the puck away from pursuers very well and when he’s setting up in open ice, the chances of a defender being able to cleanly check him is low.”
  • Red Line Report: “As talented as Grigorenko is, he simply does not work hard AT ALL when he doesn’t have the puck, even at crucial moments in a game.  One shift he had about four minutes left to go in a game his team was only losing by one goal perfectly illustrated the point.  After attempting an individualistic play, Grigorenko lost the puck behind the net in the attacking zone, it squirted free to a defenseman about two feet to his right, and he just stood there watching as the defender skated the puck out of trouble without even a hint of trying to track him down or even put mild pressure on him.  It would have been a real eye-opener for us – if we hadn’t been seeing the exact same thing from him for three years now.”

I love looking back at great scouting reports, because inevitably all of the things suspected turn out to be true as time goes by. The pucks skills described by Pronman are in evidence, and he is among the best 5×5 scorers for the Avalanche this season. Here are the vitals on Grigorenko:

• Boxcars: 53, 6-12-18
  • 5×5/60: 1.38 (No. 4 among Avalanche forwards who are regulars, Grigorenko has 608 5×5 minutes)
  • 5×4/60: 2.44 (No. 8 among Avalanche forwards who are regulars, Grigorenko has 98 5×4 minutes)
  • 5×5 shots per 60: 5.05
  • Corsi for 5×5: 44.9
  • Most common linemate: Matt Duchene. Grigorenko is scoring 1.79/60 5×5 in 234 minutes with Duchene, just 42.8 Corsi for 5×5 percentage.
  • Salary, cap and situation: $1.3 million in 2016-17 he is RFA and arbitration eligible.

He matches the size Peter Chiarelli and Todd McLellan like, and he is a bigger man who can play center. He has speed and has (based on reports) refined his game to be more consistent. Is he a reasonable return for Brandon Davidson? Would Grigorenko be a more valuable forward than the No. 7 F Edmonton currently has in the slot, say Jujhar Khaira or Zack Kassian?

THE TSN 40 THROUGH AN OILERS LENS

1. RD Kevin Shattenkirk, St. Louis. A non-starter, he isn’t interested in signing long term and money’s too tight to mention.
  2. LC Matt Duchene, Colorado. I would be very pleased with Duchene on this team, but the asset cost would be mammoth. Nuge and Klefbom?
  3. LC Martin Hanzal, Arizona. A perfect fit, the price point will be the issue. Would he be open to a contract? Can Edmonton afford him? He and Nuge could be golden on the same line.
  4. R Patrick Eaves, Dallas. Scoring winger this season, he seems in a zone. Does that change when he leaves the Stars lineup? Plays often with Benn and Seguin.
  5. RD Michael Stone, Arizona. I could see Edmonton signing him in the summer, so he might be an interesting addition depending on the price. Hard to mark him because injuries have taken away so many games.
  6. R Radim Vrbata, Arizona. Bonus issue is absolutely an issue, not sure how many teams will shy away from him because of it. My guess is Edmonton passes on the opportunity.
  7. L Gabriel Landeskog, Colorado. Like Duchene, you would want Peter Chiarelli to make the call, but prices will be too high for a growth team.
  8. G Ben Bishop, Tampa Bay. A deadline name that haunts us with the comedy of it all. Unlikely to be pursued.
  9. L Evander Kane, Buffalo. You know, he brings a lot of elements that Chiarelli and McLellan like. Major pricetag and of course the cap hit is supreme as well.
  10. LC Brian Boyle, Tampa Bay. Probably the most likely acquisition among the first 10 names, Boyle would be a solid rental. The big issue will be price, and I remain unconvinced the Lightning will be sellers.
  11. LC Patrik Berglund, St. Louis. The surge by the Blues may mean the For Sale sign gets put away, but this is another name that has been in play past years. I like him, always have. Seems a little shy physically for the Chiarelli-McLellan Oilers.
  12. R Patrick Sharp, Dallas. Like Boyle, I think Sharp fits like a glove with the Oilers. Chiarelli likes to add veterans at the deadline, and Sharp would no doubt relish the offensive opportunity in Edmonton.
  13. R Thomas Vanek, Detroit. I am surprised the Red Wings aren’t going to sign him. Vanek will be one of the most coveted players deadline day, bet he goes to a team with a (perceived) late first rounder. I do not think the Oilers will move their own.
  14. L Anthony Duclair, Arizona. Matches some of the requirements for the current Oilers, but is not established and the Oilers need more certainty.
  15. G Ondrej Pavelec, Winnipeg. Seems a stretch. I would hate it, so because of that one thing we shouldn’t rule it out.
  16. LD Dmitri Kulikov, Buffalo. There was a time, but this isn’t it.
  17. L Mikhail Grigorenko, Colorado. I can see this happening.
  18. R Curtis Lazar, Ottawa. You know they’re interested. It could happen, more likely in summer.
  19. R Jarome Iginla, Colorado. I think the Oilers as buyers comes a year or two late with Iginla. A wonderful player.
  20. G Marc-Andre Fleury, Pittsburgh. The least likely name on the list for the Oilers. Flames?
  21. R Shane Doan, Arizona. He might be a fit, but is apparently heading to California.
  22. R Jordan Eberle, Edmonton. I think he stays, Oilers simply do not have a RW who can step in.
  23. R Alex Burrows, Vancouver. I mentioned it a week ago, but this does make a little sense. I know, I know, but the cost won’t be high and he does have some scoring skill.
  24. L Matthieu Perreault, Winnipeg. The contract makes acquiring him a bad idea. Even if you traded Benoit Pouliot for him, Perreault has four years left on his deal. No way PC makes that move.
  25. R Drew Stafford, Winnipeg. I always liked him, but his offense has cratered and Edmonton needs runs.
  26. LD Kyle Quincey, New Jersey. Cap hit is minimal, but the Oilers have enough LHD at this time.
  27. G Jaroslav Halak, NY Islanders. He has been mentioned in the local MSM a little, so maybe there is fire. He has $4.5M owed him next year, can’t see the Oilers doing that unless Islanders retain or take back Pouliot.
  28. L Brandon Pirri, NY Rangers. Inexpensive offense has to be of interest at the deadline, Pirri does not match the player-type Edmonton is likely to pursue.
  29. L Valtteri Filppula, Tampa Bay. He is having a better year in 2016-17, but has one season left at $5 million. I cannot see Edmonton wanting that contract.
  30. L Jannik Hansen, Vancouver. Another Canucks forward I can see Edmonton having interest in, he has one more year to go on a reasonable ($2.5M) deal. He is 0-3-3 in eight games since coming back from injury. I like him as a player.
  31. RD Cody Franson, Buffalo. An option for sure, seems to me Matt Benning could slide into the PP role—meaning Franson’s value to Edmonton is far less than it might be to another team.
  32. LD Johnny Oduya, Dallas. Never say never to defensive help this time of year, and the Oilers may look to add someone if they move Brandon Davidson at the deadline. I would say this is an unlikely acquisition.
  33. LD Mark Streit, Philadelphia. I have always liked him and he seems fairly productive even at age 70. If the Oilers grab him, the Leftorium is even more ridiculous. That said, he is an interesting player.
  34. LD Michael Dal Zotto, Philadelphia. No.
  35. LD Patrick Wiercioch, Colorado. I have always liked him as a player, suspect he would be a really good add for the expansion team. Doubt the Oilers make a pitch.
  36. G Jhonas Enroth, Anaheim. He struggled early this year, I would be fine with him. He is on fire in the AHL.
  37. L Jiri Hudler, Dallas. A good player having a tough season. Unlikely.
  38. L P.A. Parenteau, New Jersey. Yes! Why not? The guy scores goals, this has high value.
  39. L Scottie Upshall, St. Louis. Oilers have this spot filled by Matt Hendricks.
  40. LD Ron Hainsey, Carolina. Another season of 22 minutes a night, mobile, savvy veteran. A lefty, so unlikely.

That’s the TSN list. Here are some additional players that make sense for the Oilers (to me):

• G Anders Nilsson, Buffalo. 20 games this year, .922SP and a 9-7-4 record. Of course, Buffalo is surging, so maybe this isn’t an option.
  • G Reto Berra, Florida. He is in the AHL (28gp, .911) and shouldn’t cost a bunch.
  • LHD Yohann Auvitu, New Jersey. I refuse to give up on this idea, especially because the Devils seem to be unaware of his potential. Sleeper I admit, but a worthy acquisition.
  • G Michal Neuvirth, Philadelphia. He was strong in January (6gp, .919) and was duplicating it in February until the Alberta Clipper poked a hole in his numbers. He would be an interesting addition.

Most likely (imo) are in yellow, your opinions welcome.

61 Responses to "SALE ON SAIL ON, SAILOR (BUYERS EDITION)"

1. Stud Muffin says:

Do you have a list like this from last year? If so was Patrick Maroon on it?

2. prefonmich says:

I am truly intrigued to see what Chiarelli will pull off this deadline. I am not wanting him to make any major moves but would be ecstatic if he could pull off another last minute Maroon style deal for pennies on the dollar. I would also like to see him cull the herd on LHD and would not be at all upset to see Russell be the one on the way out, rather than Davidson. I also think either TMac needs to play LB and determine what we have or Chia MUST get a back up.

3. Soup Fascist says:

The Oilers are in a good spot, but things can still be derailed by the lack of a competent backup should something happen to Talbot. (Touches wood).

For virtually no cost, a backup with NHL experience can be had. This should be job 1.

A veteran offensive winger with playoff experience would be an add as well. Sharp would be my favourite but the cost may be dear. Parenteau could be more affordable.

An offensive RHD is a pipe dream IMO unless the Oilers are prepared to give up the world. I can’t see it – and really hope they don’t overpay for a very short term solution.

4. sliderule says:

Pass on Grigorenko.
    I remember him shirtless at combine sporting a pot belly that rivals mine.😄😄

Stud Muffin:
    Do you have a list like this from last year? If so was Patrick Maroon on it?

No. Oilers were not buyers at the deadline, so I looked at prospects that might be of interest

6. hunter1909 says:

I have absolutely zero idea what the Oilers need, but suddenly trust Chiarelli’s judgement in a way I haven’t since Kevin Lowe stole Pronger and signed Mike Peca.

My gut feeling is to acquire players from winning organizations. Oilers are too fragile to be adding more rescue-dog type hockey players from palooka orgs like Colorado.

hunter1909:

Haha. Rescue-dog type hockey players has to live forever. Great turn of phrase.

8. hunter1909 says:

Serious question: Wtf does LHD mean? Is it a defenseman who plays on the left side, or a defenseman who shoots on his left side?

Instantly the answer is clear and it’s the first one, right? So, what’s the big deal finding a defenseman who plays on the right side? I sure as hell don’t recall hearing the Montreal Canadiens worrying about who was playing left or right when they had Robinson, Savard and Lapointe.

It all seems like a load of baloney. Good players know how and when to find space, while dogs struggle to stay standing on their proverbial skates.

9. Jethro Tull says:

Lowetide: Haha. Rescue-dog type hockey players has to live forever. Great turn of phrase.

Cujo was the first….

10. Pescador says:

I posted this on the last thread, seems to fit this one.
    Next seasons or post deadline forward roster I would like to see:
    Maroon McDavid Eberle.
    Speedy new winger. Draisaitl Slepyshev
    Lucic. Nuge. Puljujarvi
    Caguilla Letestu Kassian
    Khaira
    Pouliot (hopefully Chia can find a taker)
    Love to hear anyone’s thoughts on this,
    Also, does Grig have the speed boots? Oilers need moar speed, not less

11. hunter1909 says:

Jethro Tull: Cujo was the first….

Add Cam Barker.

12. Pescador says:

Soup Fascist,

Did you happen to read the TSN trade bait list?
    Patrick Sharp v Patrick Eaves:
    Eaves has 14 more goals, is 3 years younger & his cap hit is only $1mill. Don’t know why Dallas would part with this player, are they against the cap?

13. LadiesloveSmid says:

Patrick Russell is only 46GP 4-6-10 but has 106 SOG, for 11th among rookies. Maybe more than meets the eye.

14. Cooldude says:

I would deal Nuge and Nurse for Duchene. Trading Klefbom would create another big hole. I don’t see Nurse becoming better than Klefbom, but I can see him becoming better than Sekera in a few years when age catches up to him.

15. Dominoiler says:

L Evander Kane, Buffalo. No.

16. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

CuJo and Barker as rescue dogs. Hilarious!

St Louis has a rescue Yak.

17. Gerta Rauss says:

G Jaroslav Halak, NY Islanders

Minor quibble here LT- Halak’s cap hit is $4.5M next year, his salary owed is $5M

I’m not sure what the problem is with Halak and the Islanders-it appears to be his sideburns more than anything. They just extended Greiss as well, so Halak doesn’t appear to be in their plans next year

If their plan is to buy out Halak this summer, perhaps they’d be interested in a Fayne/Halak swap and save themselves a couple of dollars (ie buyout Fayne instead)

18. slopitch says:

Considering Chai traded Seguin for assets due to culture, I don’t see him going anywhere E Kane.

Looking through an Oilers lense, I look at connections of the fm to the Bruins or players Chai sought after previously. I don’t see Hamilton being moved. But Nuge + Fayne for Krejci + the BS compensation 2nd? I don’t see it as that far fetched. JMO.

19. Gerta Rauss says:

Lindy Ruff..?

20. PeOiler says:

Gerta Rauss,

James Sheppard..?

21. Gerta Rauss says:

PeOiler,

lol

22. oilersfan says:

Top three for me would be ales hemsky. The fact he is on nobody’s list shows how inexpensive he would be. He is an elite skater. He shoots right. Can push the river on the wing like hall could. Probably be available for a 6th round pick. He knows the city. I might cry a few tears of joy if this actually happened.😢😏

23. bbf_iii says:

oilersfan:

He’s been out since late October. Hip surgery. Might not play at all for the rest of the year, which is the reason hes on nobody’s list.

24. mujidog says:

Man. That 2012 draft.
    #1 Yakupov.
    #4 Griffin Reinhart.

Maybe… we should just avoid trading for high picks from that year…

25. Moose says:

There’s a guy I’m really intrigued by as a buy-low candidate, maybe LT + Woodguy and some of the deeper analytics guys here can dig a little deeper on:

Riley Sheahan (1 yr left at $2.075)

– Detroit needs to move some money
    – They have some tough decisions on expansion F’s even if they go 7-3-1

Seems like a perfect 3C candidate if the plan is to reunite 29 w/97, and/or trading Nuge next year.

– After years of 24,36,35 points. He has 8 this year and 0 goals.
    – CF% before this year: 56, 55, 51 (45 this year).
    – RelCorsi: 4.7, 1.7, -0.7 (-3.4 this year)
    – Shooting %: 15.3, 10.6, 10.9 (obviously 0 this year)
    – He’s been an above 50% FO guy too.

On first glance, it looks like some of this decline is due to usage. He’s gone from some heavy OZS (64%) early in his career to (46% this year).

He’s Chia big (6’3) and can skate. Recovery candidate if slotted in the bottom six?

Don’t know if Holland would deal him as he’s young and still relatively cheap, but they don’t have much to protect in the way of D-men (Green, DeKeyser and ??? Sproul??) and nothing much in the pipeline except maybe Hicketts.

Could you build a deal for him around Davidson? Reinhart?

Super intriguing though.

26. Gerta Rauss says:

Yeah, the hip surgery is the only thing that scares me about Hemsky

He had elite skating, we don’t know what he’s got left (if anything)

I heard reports he was close to coming back, not sure if that’s true or not

It’s too bad, he was on my shopping list last summer

27. bbf_iii says:

hunter1909:

Generally, if we’re talking about pairings, the LHD refers to their position on the ice, but otherwise it usually refers to their handedness. There has been a lot of analysis about this issue and the consensus is that defencemen play better on their proper side. There are some practical reasons why this is true, such as passing lanes and the way in which a defenceman’s stick lines up with the boards in the d-zone (i.e., players can get the puck out easier on their forehand than their backhand). You are correct that a lot of good players, like those 70s Canadiens defencemen, can effectively play on their offside, but they probably would’ve played better on their proper side. However, in that case, the performance of a HHOF defenceman playing their offside was still better than a regular player on their proper side.

28. LMHF#1 says:

You forgot the one, true #83 LT.

He’d be an outstanding fit.

LMHF#1:
    You forgot the one, true #83 LT.

He’d be an outstanding fit.

Except he is hurt.

30. leadfarmer says:

Stay the course Chia. None of the above options are good, unless you can upgrade a Nuge to a Duchene. And pass on Grigorenko as well.

31. Jaxon says:

RHD, minimum 6’1, 194lbs, 22 or younger, scoring at a pace of .48 pts/gp or higher in the AHL:

Kyle Wood – ARI
    Madison Bowey – WSH
    Julius Bergman – SJS
    Ryan Pulock – NYI

I’d send out a Reinhart (if they’d bite) or maybe even a Davidson for one of these kids. Pouliot? Fayne? Part of a larger package?

32. oilersfan says:

Not sure if that link worked but hemsky has been skating for a few weeks and is on the current road trip. I read somewhere he is expected to play before March 1. I will try to find it. This article is already a week old and Mike heika reported on Twitter a few days ago that hemsky is practicing with the team

33. SkatinginSand says:

bbf_iii,

There was not a huge issue with the way a defenceman shot until the massive increase in speed of the game in the last few years. Defencemen simply do not have the time to make the necessary adjustments when playing their off side. However, having said that, if I had my choice of Duncan Keith or Justin Schultz playing the right side…..

34. Woogie63 says:

I wonder were Jake Virtanen sits in the Canucks plans?

35. LadiesloveSmid says:

Woogie63:
    I wonder were Jake Virtanen sits in the Canucks plans?

could help team speed. Canucks traded Shinkaruk for Granlund, who’s the oilers Granlund?

Khaira?

oilersfan:

Terrific news, love Hemsky.

37. Dominoiler says:

Love this.. would be great to ales back as a vet.. any other of those 2006 oilers still in the league?.. don’t think so.. make it happen, chia..

oilersfan:

38. flyfish1168 says:

hunter1909:

I would put MacT in the rescue dog category.

39. LadiesloveSmid says:

Quite the goal for Caleb Jones against Bear’s thunderbirds. End-to-end, shorthanded goal. Walks the lone forward on defence.

40. Oilanderp says:

Buy low on Lazar, and do it now. Right handed, playing 8 or 9 mins in OTT when he isn’t in the press box.

I have never seen an Oil Kings game in my life, so it’s not that.

Kid’s gonna be a player.

41. OF17 says:

Jaxon:

Kyle Wood – ARI
    Madison Bowey – WSH
    Julius Bergman – SJS
    Ryan Pulock – NYI

42. LMHF#1 says:

Lowetide: Except he is hurt.

As below. Or above? Haha

That man deserves to be knocking in passes from 97 on the PP.

43. commonfan14 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: St Louis has a rescue Yak.

Maybe not for long now that they’ve re-claimed Rattie.

44. Bruce McCurdy says:

And the obvious Jay Beagle

45. PeOiler says:

Chris Terrier-eri.

46. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    Milan Pucic.

47. GMB3 says:

Can someone please explain to me how the Oilers wasted a third round pick on Cameron Abney? 4 points in 48 games in his draft year…. Cody Eakin went three picks later after posting substantially better numbers in his draft season.

It’s honestly no surprise we were so horrible.

48. Oil2Oilers says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Ha ha ha. Bruce, I dare you to call him that to his face. Better yet, I double dog dare you. 😉

A friend and I were discussing the Manning incident earlier and we came to the following conclusion on who to fight and not fight on the Oilers grit squad given multiple options;

Kassian: not the biggest but don’t mess with crazy eyes – don’t fight
    Nurse: young bear might not know when to stop – don’t fight
    Lucic: large large man with a boxing background. He throws deadly in tight hooks rather than hockey haymakers – don’t fight
    Gryba: big man, big hitter, but a bit player that the Oilers are better with him off the ice. Don’t fight
    Hendricks: middle weight old, does not meet hockey code requirements, Oilers better with him off the ice. Don’t fight
    Maroon: big man, skilled fighter but Oilers are better with him on the ice. Do fight

Maroon did not give Manning any option but Maroon for Manning is a trade the Other team makes every day. A broken hand Maroon is even a worse result.

49. match eddy says:

Just spit-balling here, but what about Carl Soderberg?

I know the cap hit is prohibitive, and the numbers aren’t great in COL, but he was unstoppable at times in BOS, and PC knows him well.

Could be a primo buy-low center if COL retains

50. Marc says:

A dark horse move would be taking both Boyle and Filppula from TB for 2 AHL contracts. Adding two veteran C’s with a combined 252 playoff games between them would add scoring, depth and experience to the playoff roster. It would allow three scoring lines even with Drai on McDavid’s wing, plus a pretty solid fourth line ie. Boyle-Letestu-Kassian.

TB would free up a forward slot to protect in the expansion draft (Filppula has a NMC) and $5M in cap space to re-sign RFAs.

The Oilers could absorb Filppula’s contract next year without a problem, provided that all pending UFAs – Hendricks, Russell, Gryba and Ference are replaced with guys from Bakersfield on cheap contracts.

51. bbf_iii says:

Marc:

52. Marc says:

bbf_iii: The Oilers would not be able to absorb that cap hit this year though, which would push them further into overage territory and then limit their ability to absorb next year too.

They are almost $5M below the cap and they haven’t used any of the LTIR they’d be entitled to for Ference, so I’m not sure overages wouls actually be an issue. I haven’t worked it through the relevant CBA provisions though.

53. bbf_iii says:

Marc: They are almost $5M below the cap and they haven’t used any of the LTIR they’d be entitled to for Ference, so I’m not sure overages wouls actually be an issue.I haven’t worked it through the relevant CBA provisions though.

54. wheatnoil says:

bbf_iii: McDavid and Draisaitl will hit most if not all of their bonuses and I don’t think LTIR can be used to alleviate cap overages from bonuses. In his last media availability Chiarelli mentioned they are a bit hamstrung by the cap, so it seems as if the OIlers are aware of this as well. Can’t bring money in unless there’s money going out.

If I’m right about the calculations, $0.5-0.8M is equal to $2.3-$3.6M cap hit in deadline the Oilers could add at the deadline. (The rounded gap, actually $212,500, is dependent on if Slepyshev or Puljujarvi have a +/- Schedule A bonus for being Top 3 on the team in +/- and they actually hit that by year end).

55. Jethro Tull says:

wheatnoil,

By my calculations, we’re going to need 21 Jiggawatts to get is back to 2006 if we make the playoffs!

56. Bruce McCurdy says:

GMB3:

It’s honestly no surprise we were so horrible.

Abney was a seen-him-good pick all the way. He’s a huge guy with a mean streak and hands which can be surprisingly soft. I for one never saw him put an entire good game together but saw the occasional shift where he looked all-world. Whoever liked him on the scouting staff must have seen a couple of shifts like that and then walked out of the building. Just a terrible pick.

All wasn’t lost however given how in that same 2009 third round the Oilers also snagged Troy Hesketh! *sobs

57. Louis Levasseur says:

Given that we had to give up Hall to get Larsson because defenceman are at a premium, why should the Avalanche expect a return of Nuge and Klefbom for Duchene?

It seems like we undervalue our guys and fall in love with other teams’ players.

58. bbf_iii says:

wheatnoil: By my calculations, Edmonton should be $0.5-$0.8M below the cap including likely bonuses. McDavid will get his full bonus. Drai will get his Schedule As but needs to be Top 10 in goals, points, assists or points/game in order to His his Schedule B (via @capfriendly). He’s within striking distance but not there yet.

59. wheatnoil says:

bbf_iii: Both Slepyshev and Puljujarvi would have to hit 42 games in order for that bonus to become eligible, correct? Slepyshev might get there, but I don’t think Puljujarvi will.

Yeah, depends if Puljujarvi is called up or not. Either way, they both won’t make it and maybe one will and I don’t know if either had +/- in their contract.

60. Jaxon says:

OF17: Why did you choose those values? 6’1″, 194lbs, 0.48p/g. Do they have any special predictive power? If not, those are pretty arbitrary criteria to find defensemen by.

It is somewhat random and does not have any specific predictive powers, except that size is valuable and if you have average or above average NHL size, you are more likely to be able to transfer those skills to the NHL. Also, if you have a certain level of offence you are more likely to succeed while transferring some offensive ability to the NHL. 22 years old is young enough that there is some real room for improvement so we may not have seen the best of these players, and their peaks will mesh well with McDavid, Draisaitl, Puljujarvi, Nurse, etc. All that said, I’ve been following Madison Bowey for a while now and think he would be a perfect fit for the Oilers. He established the benchmark by scoring .48 pts/gp and is 6’1″, 194 lbs, which is, coincidentally, the same size as McDavid when he was drafted, so I thought, hell, why not. I want all the Oilers D to be at least as big as McDavid from here on out. So yup, pretty arbitrary and not all that predictive, except that I wanted to draw a size, production and age line somewhere in the sand, and that is where I did it to suit my own bias.