G64 2017-18: OILERS AT BLUES

And so it ends in St. Louis, the home of Chuck Berry, who was a rock and roller before Elvis walked into an RCA studio. The long month that could have derailed the season expires tonight. This young team, with brilliance and blunder rising and falling with each breath, ends what was a potentially treacherous month—and sets up the final stanza. Maestro! Music!

NO PARTICULAR PLACE TO GO, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0, goal differential -7
  • Oilers in October 2016: 7-2-0, goal differential +10
  • Oilers in November 2015: 4-7-2, goal differential -6
  • Oilers in November 2016: 5-8-2 goal differential -3
  • Oilers in December 2015: 7-6-1, goal differential -9
  • Oilers in December 2016: 7-2-5, goal differential +3
  • Oilers in January 2016: 4-5-2, goal differential -5
  • Oilers in January 2017: 9-4-1, goal differential +8
  • Oilers in February 2016: 3-8-2, goal differential -18
  • Oilers in February 2017: 5-6-0, goal differential -3
  • Oilers after 63, 2015-16: 22-34-7, goal differential -41
  • Oilers after 63, 2016-17: 33-22-8, goal differential +15
G64 a year ago saw Edmonton win one (finally!) 3-1 over the NY Islanders. Brooklyn scored in the second to take the lead, but the Oilers responded with three in the third (Lander, Draisaitl, Davidson) to put it all away. Cam Talbot over Jaroslav Halak. February 28, 2016.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM FEBRUARY

• On the road to: Nashville, Carolina, Montreal (Expected: 1-1-1) (Actual 1-2-0)
  • At home to: Chicago, Arizona, Philadelphia (Expected: 1-1-1) (Actual 2-1-0)
  • On the road to: Chicago, Tampa Bay, Florida, Washington, Nashville, St. Louis (Expected: 2-3-1) (Actual: 2-3-0)
  • Overall expected result: 4-5-3, 11 points in 12 games
  • Overall current results: 5-6-0, 10 points in 11 games

Our line in the sand is 11 points, Edmonton needs a Bettman tonight to be considered even. Truth to tell, even if they lose tonight I would have a hard time being too critical. The Oilers have real issues on this roster and are probably outkicking their coverage at this time. I suspect February was the last real chance for the market to correct. Connor McDavid changes everything, and Cam Talbot has been a terrific partner in crime.

CURRENT STANDINGS

Los Angeles grabbed a Bettman last night, but in doing so cashed a precious game. They have 20 left—potentially 40 points—and a track record for the season that suggests those 20 games will fetch 21 points. If the Kings run at pace, they will end the season with 86 points—meaning Edmonton would need to go 6-12-1 in order to finish ahead of them.

Remember that decade we shared, when the Oilers simply could not catch up to the team ahead of them, no matter how hard they tried? Damndest thing.

CROSSING JORDAN

• This is via hockey-reference and represents the boxcars by discipline overall.
  • Jordan Eberle was a pretty consistent player before his injury in the fall of 2015. During preseason (I believe against Carolina, and I think Anton Lander got a hatty that game) Eberle hit the boards and got hurt. Although he missed only 13 games, I feel his release has been delayed since then. His even-strength numbers didn’t suffer in 2015-16, but are off badly this year. His power-play number has been off the last two seasons.
  • In each of these seasons, Eberle’s 5×5/60 scoring number were 1.89, 1.98, 1.85 and (this year) 1.51.
  • Jordan Eberle is having a tough season. That doesn’t mean he can’t recover, hell I wouldn’t be surprised if he scores 5-7 goals down the stretch here.
  • This is Connor McDavid’s team.
  • The conclusion I am reaching is that Jordan Eberle is not going to be a feature scorer on Connor McDavid’s line.
  • $6 million dollar skill forwards have to score more than Eberle has managed this season.
  • What happened to Jordan Eberle? Well, he isn’t as fast or quick as he once was, and I think he is easier to defend without that extra gear. I think, and you may not agree, that if 2013-14 Jordan Eberle were playing alongside Connor McDavid this year, he would be on his way to 35+ goals.
  • Martin Rucinsky scored 20+ goals in a season four times in his 20s, and did not score 20 in his 30s—despite playing NHL hockey until age 36. It happens.

Hmm. Depending on what Edmonton would be getting in return, giving up a young defender could be regarded as dealing from strength—especially if he is a lefty. That said, young lefties with NHL careers and value (Klefbom, Nurse, Davidson) is a short and varied list. If I am reading the tea leaves correctly, this is not an idea I am going to be thrilled with should it come to pass.

PROCUREMENT

Yesterday, the Ottawa Senators signed Chris DiDomenico to a two-year deal. The remaining portion of this season is a one-way contract, and then it fades to a two-way for 2017-18.

Chris DiDomenico is 28 and having a pretty good season (38 points, Marc Pouliot has 32) and may be able to come in and help a little. For Edmonton, this could be an option as well, with their needs being specific and the ability to make deadline deals hampered by a lack of assets. The worry is you end up with Lennart Petrell, but Edmonton’s Euro scouts surely know someone who can help and costs just money. Aim higher than Sallinen, for sure, but I can’t help but think there is someone out there who is worth the risk. Or, you know, recall Anton Lander.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260. Heavy on the hockey and trade deadline, scheduled to appear:

• Jonathan Willis, Oilers Nation. Should you be worried about the Calgary Flames run?
  • Rob Vollman, ESPN. Getting value in trades, and the best time to deal players with term.
  • Scott Cullen, TSN. Are the trades (so far) value for value?
  • B.D. Gallof, IslesBeat.com and The Fourth Period. Islanders-Oilers, is there something here?

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

697 Responses to "G64 2017-18: OILERS AT BLUES"

« Older Comments
  1. npanciroli says:

adamjames,

Probably not, argument always moves to it was a bad trade at the time anyways. Same idea if Reinhart becomes a top 2 D and those picks don’t work out. (not saying this will ever happen)

2. FranktheTank says:

Howdy all, first time poster long time lurker. Just wanted to chime in on the Mamet references from earlier today. For Oilers wingers the Glengarry leads are the McDavid minutes, and those minutes are for closers.

3. N64 says:

russ99:
    Excellent win. McDavid and Talbot – Money.

Talbot ties Joseph. One more to catch Moog

4. GXL says:

Not liking the deal trading away Brandon Davidson for David Desharnais. The Oilers essentially traded away a serviceable dmen going into the playoffs for essentially a UFA on an expiring contract that is not in their future plans. We traded away a chip that could of been used for a trade or be exposed for the expansion draft. The only way I would of traded Davidson was if the Oilers got back someone that is on an NHL player, still within RFA and can be an insurance during the playoff.

GXL

5. OF17 says:

adamjames:
    Literally nothing to back up my opinion here other than Chiarelli woulda seen a lot of Desharnais in Boston. If the proberbial “change of scenery” spurs any sort of return to form, does anyone give Chia any credit?

Heck yes. Apparently Desharnais played best as a 3C in MTL and can generate offense from that position. Has a lot of hustle to his game and is a good systems player. He’s the piece that lets us keep Drai at RW while maintaining legit C depth. Let’s see how he does, but at first blush this trade has a lot of potential to help us down the stretch and in the playoffs without costing us much.

6. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909 Oilers Death March Update for 28.2.17:

With tonight’s important W in St Louis, the team heads home on a 97 point pace. A larger amount than usual 12 Death March players who predicted 97 points are:

Say it ain’t so, Gretz, Say it ain’t so!
    Countrgirl
    Soup Fascist
    Oil2Oilers
    Waterfire
    Yak Efron
    Ozzie Oiler
    PTSZPNDR
    Genjutsu
    Book;je
    Kashirat
    Lodog

Nightly Death March leaders need to get free access to the Playboy Club or something else to keep them occupied until the next game brewery tours would work also lol

7. OF17 says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Hansen to edm for tyler.benson.

Reactions?

Did this happen? If not, please make it clearer you’re proposing and not reporting.

8. Diablo says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Hansen to edm for tyler.benson.

Reactions?

For real?

9. hunter1909 says:

GXL: The Oil loss this trade hands down. The smarter move would of been to stand pat.

Even smarter = lose >> loss

10. fuzzy muppet says:

Nope. Fake. Ignore

11. npanciroli says:

Fake Oilers tweeted Benson apparently

12. LadiesloveSmid says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Hansen to edm for tyler.benson.

Reactions?

Hansen’s no world beater and on the other hand Benson’s career might be over

13. Dicky94 says:

Diablo,

Nope. The band Hanson is coming. MMMBop!!

14. npanciroli says:

How fast is Desharnais? I find we lack speed across the roster.

15. Pouzar says:

npanciroli:
    How fast is Desharnais? I find we lack speed across the roster.

I agree.

16. JDï™ says:

npanciroli,

My Habs friends (fans) say he can still skate.

17. Pouzar says:

JDï™:
    npanciroli,

My Habs friends (fans) say he can still skate.

You have Habs friends?

#PackYourShit

18. npanciroli says:

JDï™,

Ty

19. JDï™ says:

Pouzar,

I thought you would be surprised that I have any friends at all.

20. Professor Q says:

What’s worse is that it wasn’t even the Fake Oilers account that tweeted it. It was the Fake Red Wings account.

21. spoiler says:

Rondo:
    Wonder where Jannik Hansen is going?

Yeah, I’d be interested in him. Doubt the Canucks will deal fairly with us but I’d still phone.

22. Gerta Rauss says:

Are we cheering for Calgary or LA..?

I’m conflicted

I guess the one result we don’t want is a tie/3point game

23. Lucinius says:

C’mon Kings…

Ugh.. I don’t like cheering for the Kings (fuck you Brown), but I loathe the Flames. So.. C’mon Kings!

24. Evilas says:

Pouzar: You have Habs friends?

ROFLMAO

#PackYourShit

25. JDï™ says:

It’s really looking like these Kings/fLames games will all be 3 point games.

26. Pouzar says:

JDï™:
    Pouzar,

I thought you would be surprised that I have any friends at all.

Yer a swell guy, I don’t care what LT says about you!

27. Mr. D. says:

npanciroli:
    How fast is Desharnais? I find we lack speed across the roster.

Speed and size is what’s desirable. Just few have it

28. Evilas says:

Deharnais = Roy?

Vanek on McDavid’s LW, Maroon and Sleppy (autocorrected to Smelly, lol) on DD’s, maybe?

29. Crazy Pedestrian says:

JDï™:
    It’s really looking like these Kings/fLames games will all be 3 point games.

Ugh… I was just thinking the same thing… come on kings! Smack them phlegms up!!

30. Zeabs93 says:

hunter1909,

Hey Hunter, could you remind me how many points I chose? Thought it was 97, but could be wrong.

31. Crazy Pedestrian says:

fLames/Kings to OT…. booo…

32. Diablo says:

Fack – 3 point game between Falmes and Kings.

33. Lucinius says:

Bloody Kings can’t go anything right.

Flames always seem to have horse-shoes up their ass. Win a lot of games they really shouldn’t. I have no idea if tonight is/will be one of those, but, ugh.

I want the Flames to miss the playoffs by 1 point and not win anything in the lotto.

34. Diablo says:

Tough loss for Jets – Hellybuyck can’t stop a beach ball.

35. Diablo says:

Ugh – god damn Calgary.

36. LadiesloveSmid says:

I swear the oilers will be playing the flames who won’t let up off the gas here.

10-2-1 in their last 13

37. Diablo says:

OTH – we own Calgary this year and I don’t want to the Kings to get in with their goaltending. So conflicted right now.

38. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Dammit Kings! You had ONE job!!!
    Damn phlegms just won’t stop winning… who’s it going to take to knock those guys down a peg or two??

39. Diablo says:

LadiesloveSmid:

10-2-1 in their last 13

I’m fine with that – BOA in the first round of the playoffs – we’ve had their number all season long – they have no answer for McDavid.

40. JDï™ says:

Still a hollow victory for the fLames, giving a point to the team they’re battling for the last playoff spot.

41. Chachi says:

Flames have been really really lucky the last little while. Lots of little bounces going their way. That will balance out.

42. Little Poteet says:

Diablo,

No way we get a wild card team first round. We will pay Anaheim because one of us will finish second and the other third

43. Clay says:

LT about to do a guest spot on 1260 if anyone is interested.

44. spoiler says:

Chachi,

The when though can be a real biatch.

45. Chachi says:

spoiler:
    Chachi,

The when though can be a real biatch.

That is the truth.

46. slopitch says:

I’m not even sure Chai is worried about expansion. I think he’s worried about Davidson on waivers when they call up Reinhardt. I liked what Chai said about DD having a chip on his shoulder. Not sure I like the trade but the positives I see are:
    – you can never have enough C’s, Oilers needed one
    – it makes some sense from a org depth perspective
    – frees up a roster spot for next year as well

Ugly but 2 points against a solid team on game 6 of a roadie. I’ll take it.

47. Rondo says:

Looks like SJ is getting Hansen

48. smellyglove says:

Maroon with 2g in his last 17 games. Thoughts?

49. Rondo says:

Bob McKenzie‏Verified account
    @TSNBobMcKenzie

VAN return on Hansen to SJ is expected to be Nikolay Goldobin and a conditional fourth-round pick.

50. OF17 says:

One thing to note: Desharnais is not a tough minutes center. Here’s the WoodMoney, so it’s last year again, but that year is more indicative of Desharnais’s established level of ability anyways (45P per 82GP the last 5 seasons).

Elites: 31% TOI 42.6% CF% (-6.7% RelComp) 44.1% DFF% (-5.3% RelComp)
    Muddle: 37% TOI 52.0% CF% (+1.1% RelComp) 55.8% DFF% (+4.9% RelComp)
    Gritensity: 32% TOI 58.6% CF% (+1.7% RelComp) 58.6% DFF% (+3.0% RelComp)

Does really well against everyone but the elites, where he gets trashed. Means Nuge and McDavid are still in the weeds with matchups a bit, but it also means Slepyshev-Desharnais-Kassian or similar should provide more outscoring than we’re used to. Godspeed, Nuge, but there’s a good chance we’ll have a 3 line that can clean up the open air now. I like that.

51. Dino says:

I think Desharnais is a good gamble for this team to take right now. I think he will perform decently in a pressure free depth role as a 3C. He’s got lots of speed still, he’s got skill and he’s a smart player with some offensive creativity. I think if you play him with wingers that have skill he can prosper in a limited role. The team needed secondary scoring and I believe he could help provide that, he put up some pretty good stat totals last year.

52. LadiesloveSmid says:

Dahlen for Burrows
    Goldobin for Hansen

If these are the prices for rentals, it’s a good damn thing Chia isn’t all over the phones. Benning is doing well!

53. Crazy Pedestrian says:

smellyglove:
    Maroon with 2g in his last 17 games. Thoughts?

Get him some new smelling salts!! STAT!!!

54. Diablo says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Dahlen for Burrows
    Goldobin for Hansen

Hansen is not a rental – he’s still got another year left on his contract – but yeah, SJ paid a high price. This feels like Erat for Forsberg all over again.

55. spoiler says:

Rondo,

SJS learns from last year and increases team speed.

/woodguy

56. Crazy Pedestrian says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Dahlen for Burrows
    Goldobin for Hansen

57. Diablo says:

Ott to Montreal for a 6th – I said that Desharnais could have been had for a 5th rounder. Chia got owned by Bergevin in that deal.

58. YKOil says:

Will wait for Lowetide’s Sail On thread salute to Davidson but my early take…

… bad, bad trade. PC’s two worst tendencies both make an appearance.

59. Todd Macallan says:

Interesting to note that tonight on Insider Trading Lebrun actually mentioned that there were a few teams after Desharnais, which is why the Oilers seemingly had to pay a bit higher price.

60. BONVIE says:

Dino:

I’m hoping your right….I’m much more optimistic now about this trade as I know his speed for first on the puck carrier forecheck has been an asset and is something Edmonton has been lacking on some of our lines. He’s also posted some decent offence in the past. I am actually excited to see his first game to see where they spot him. Habs fans are telling me his problem is cositency amd motivation being a small guy he needs to bring that effort every night or he is not effective.

61. McSorley33 says:

Desh’s next birthday will be his 31st…..

I thouht there was a market for value contract defensemen?

62. Ryan says:

YKOil:
    Will wait for Lowetide’s Sail On thread salute to Davidson but my early take…

… bad, bad trade.PC’s two worst tendencies both make an appearance.

Just another example of poor asset management.

You keep Davidson. Worst case scenario, you lose him to Vegas and at least keep another asset.

Now you have Desharnais and best case scenario he walks as a UFA and now you lose Davidson plus another asset to Vegas.

Worst case scenario, Desharnais has a good 20 game run and pots a few in the offseason and you offer a contract and waste cap dollars on a player that’s done.

Then you sign Russell and now you have wasted cap dollars and some term tied up in two diminutive players on the tail end of the back nine of their respective careers during the McDavid era.

63. Legba Ledbetter says:

I know you Diablo

64. Legba Ledbetter says:

Now is the time!

65. Chachi says:

Good to see people are reacting to the trade in a calm rational way.

66. Ryan says:

BONVIE,

When I’ve read Habs blogs in the past, the habs fans often complained that Desharnais was Terrien’s pet getting linemates and offensive opportunities that he didn’t deserve. No clue why that’s the case other than that he’s a vet.

Anyways, I apologize for being negative.

It’s frustrating to see Oilers management make stupid decisions after these past ten years.

67. Legba Ledbetter says:

Legba Ledbetter,

So as not to confuse the masses, this was the 666th comment, so I thought I’d drop by 😈

68. Chachi says:

Legba Ledbetter:
    Legba Ledbetter,

So as not to confuse the masses, this was the 666th comment,so I thought I’d drop by 😈

The power of the hockey gords compelts you to make other GMs give Chiarelli something for nothing.

69. Ryan says:

Chachi:
    Good to see people are reacting to the trade in a calm rational way.

We have a gm who’s wallet has a few holes in it.

My consternation is the growing pattern of our gm not getting value from assets in trades.

One of the more recent trends in research is called “qualitative reasearch.” While it sounds pretty hokey at first blush, it does provide a different vantage point. It involves looking at identifying themes and patterns from interviewing subjects.

When a gm makes a trade, have a non-hockey fan read through comments from two major opposing hockey blogs to get a gestalt.

For Chiarelli, his poor trades were instantly obvious to fans of both teams for the Hall, Reinhart, and now Davidson trades.

To me the return on the Hall trade was poor but somewhat defensible based on our glaring need for a RHS dman.

This trade has no such defense. Chiarelli traded a young inexpensive serviceable defenseman with control for a negative asset or salary cap dump.

70. Alpine says:

Man, I’m sorry but Davidson but is very overvalued by this fanbase. Good kid, good player, fantastic story but he’s just an everyday tweener 4/5 D. He’s played about 100 games, been decent for about half of them and has played third pairing the vast majority of them.

What trade value is a soon to be 26 year old who hasn’t established himself as a top four D ever gonna have? Maybe he’ll become one if Petry zooms him on the second pair. His value at most is probably a early mid round pick that we would have had to move anyways to get someone like Desharnais.

I don’t know how it’s “Bad Asset Management” if the player keeps getting hurt. What were the Oilers supposed to do improve the value of a player with such a small track record? I wish the best for Davy and I hope he has a career in this league. I also think we’ll survive without him and that a fast centreman like Desharnais gives our forward core a nice little boost. I’m glad PC seems to have time for his player type after all.

71. kgo says:

Nobody has mentioned how this deal clears a bit of cap next year…Davidson may have been our 9th best Dman next year, don’t want to be paying over a million for that.

72. Chachi says:

Ryan: Hey bud, we traded for Desharnais. I’m going to have an Americano and then another… 🙂

We have a gm who’s wallet has a few holes in it.

The Hall trade and the Reinhart trades looked bad from the start. I am going to see how Desharnais plays before setting my hair on fire for this one. He is younger and faster and has more career points than Brian Boyle (the Oilers have hugeness covered off just fine now) and they got him for a player in Davidson that they were going to lose anyway and through a lot of shitty luck just can’t stay healthy. Yes, they are going to lose a different player now, but there’s a long time between now and the expansion draft and lots can still happen.

73. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

damn. Canucks got Goldobin? Benning may be smarter than I thought. Saw Goldobin play live the other night. Skilled player.

74. LadiesloveSmid says:

Crazy Pedestrian: Don’t know much about Dahlen or Goldobin. If you compare them to Oilers current/recent prospects, what level of prospects are they?

In the neighbourhood of Benson, a bit better perhaps

75. Alpine says:

Which one of Nurse, Sekera, Klefbom should Davidson be playing over now or next season? Nurse’s CF% is a whole 3 points higher in the same role and same amount of games. You’re either playing Davidson on his offhand to likely mediocre results or he’s a frequent healthy scratch.

76. kgo says:

Maybe this move convinces Vegas to take pou from us…

77. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

LadiesloveSmid: In the neighbourhood of Benson, a bit better perhaps

Goldobin very cloae to NHL ready.

78. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Alpine,

Reinhart in a 7-3-1?

Or are they going 4-4-1 to protect him?

Dumb move imo simply for trading Davidson for a rental. To me that makes little sense.

It isn’t about him.playing more than anyone you mention.

79. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

On the flipside, in the sky is falling sweepstakes at least Chia did not trade Nikolay Goldobin to a division foe. That was a mistake by San Jose, imo.

80. spoiler says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Goldobin very cloae to NHL ready.

You are right. Excellent return. Hansen’s extra year I think generated a lot of interest. San Jose also knows about windows… there’s pressure there, the worst kind… Time. This is as astute a pick-up as Shatty was, in my opinion; but going to a Div opponent, Van got some real nice value back. Woodguy was right on the Sharks’ speed… this could be their Hagelin.

81. JDï™ says:

Given Khaira’s play and the arrival of Desh, does Caggs go for a walk with Dwight and Buck?

82. BONE207 says:

Younger Oil
    says:

February 28, 2017 at 6:42 pm

Keep in mind, this trade is now essentially Davidson AND whoever now gets picked in the expansion draft for Desharnais.

Plus, this pretty much means Russell is guaranteed to be offered another contract.

Horrible management.

What if Desharnais gets picked up by Vegas. We’ll have lost only Brandon Davidson still. Might have to wait till summer before the whole picture comes into view.

83. jm363561 says:

Gordies Elbow:
    .500 is now 8-8-2, for 94 points. They’re still on pace for 99 points, and have left the worst part of the schedule behind.

Swept the Flames. Swept the Blues.

Tonight was a huge win.

Huge.

84. russ99 says:

I remember similar complaints about Marincin being dealt too, and look where he is, third pairing at best.

Benning’s emergence (and to a lesser extent Oesterle’s) made Davidson expendable, and his expansion draft availiabilty did him no favors.

You lose some credibility when the complaints are less about the value of the deal and how it sets us up for expansion and the summer, and more about a cheap contract who won’t be cheap much longer, overvaluing D with high CF% and little actual offense, and this constant axe being grinded about dumping Russell.

I await the new guy to see what he can do, another NHL forward with some history of putting up points on the third line and pushing all the bottom six guys down a slot can’t hurt.

85. russ99 says:

For expansion, this limits Vegas’ picks to:

Pouliot
    Fayne
    Khaira or Letestu, whichever we don’t protect, leaning towards protecting Khaira, but Letestu could be picked, despite his higher salary, and that would be a loss.
    Pakarinen
    Lander
    Pitlick
    Reinhart
    Oesterle
    Broissoit

Or one of the UFAs, doubtful. They could just sign them early if they want them, no need to waste an expansion pick.

Trading Davidson increases the chances of a trade to steer them to who we want them to pick.

I still think Pouliot and Fayne are very unlikely, unless we give up a high pick.

Right now it looks like Reinhart is the likely pick with no trade to select someone else.

86. Evilas says:

JDï™,

I am confused, do you mean Yoakam and Owens or Eisenhower and Naked?

If you mean Bakersfield, I sure hope so. It’d be nice to see him put up some points.

87. Crazy Pedestrian says:

LadiesloveSmid: In the neighbourhood of Benson, a bit better perhaps

Seriously?! Both of them???
    Damn… that makes me feel even more down about the Davidson trade.
    Even though LV is likely to choose Davidson from Montreal in the expansion draft (as it was for Edmonton), it’s disappointing…

88. StixMalone says:

I blame Tkachuk for this one. Don’t know if Davidson will ever find his form again. I hope he does well in Montreal. I’m not at all angry at this trade as most are. This expansion is a real pain in the ass and is a thorn in the GM’s trade process. I’m thinking more to come by deadline?
    russ99,

89. Yeti says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: I was willing to lose Davidson in the expansion draft. Now who are we going to lose?
    Reinhart in a 7-3-1?
    Or are they going 4-4-1 to protect him?

Perhaps they have come to the conclusion that Reinhart will be a marginal NHLer at best, so they really don’t care if he gets picked? i.e. they’ve already written off the acquisition cost as wasted and now he is their sacrifice to the expansion gods.

90. Pouzar says:

JDï™:

With New Guy and Pou set to return Caggs, Hendricks, and Pak need to #PackTheirShit

I know I’m dreaming but whatever.

91. Soup Fascist says:

kgo:
    Maybe this move convinces Vegas to take pou from us…

George McPhee doesn’t take Pou from anyone, mister!

92. N64 says:

Soup Fascist: George McPhee doesn’t take Pou from anyone, mister!

Pou #PackYourShit from the expansion draft would be Commie’s best tweet ever.

93. Soup Fascist says:

N64: Pou #PackYourShit from the expansion draft would be Commie’s best tweet ever.

…. for numerous reasons.

94. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Alpine,

I’m with you man and I don’t understand folks here sometimes.

Davidson missed a huge amount of time this year and last year and was at times emerging as a serviceable second pairing D. He has not met that production this year and it’s fair to blame Tkachuk for it sure but Davidson didn’t play as well.

Nurse progressed faster over the summer, Klefbom and Sekera are definitely better and Davidson will have a chance to crack a Habs blue line that is getting old fast.

Man alive considering a bunch of folks here were trading Klefbom for Barrie back around Xmas I guess I shouldn’t be shocked at the reaction here but holy smokes guys the overvaluing of Oilers players is kind of exaggerated some days.

Oilers have a 3C who can crash and bang which frees up Drai and or Nuge to play wing with mcDavid.

One would figure people would be happy with the lineup being more balanced than it was 24hrs ago but alas it’s not to be.

« Older Comments