JESSE PULJUJARVI AT THE HOTEL CALIFORNIA

Although he is still a teenager, Jesse Puljujarvi is a No. 4 overall pick and we should be seeing good things from him at the AHL level. One area we can look at in the limited statistical universe available is shots per game. JP does pretty well among AHL rookie forwards who have played in 20 or more games.

SHOTS PER GAME (ROOKIES) (all disciplines)

1. Timo Meier (age 20) 3.21
  2. Tyler Motte (age 21) 3.15
  3. Jake Guentzel (age 22) 2.97
  4. Jesse Puljujarvi (age 18) 2.9
  5. Source

That indicates the young man is getting shots on goal at a good pace compared to other rookies—and the fact he is doing it at 18 makes it more impressive. One of the things Edmonton needs JP to do is shoot the puck and I think these numbers indicate he has gotten the message at the AHL level. He ranks No. 56 among rookies (source) with a 12.1 percentage. Mikko Rantanen was 17.1 in his rookie season, so this is an area where Puljujarvi is perhaps lacking compared to his countryman.

RECENT OILERS AHL ROOKIES (SHOOTING PERCENTAGE)

1. Jesse Puljujarvi (16-17) 12.1
  2. Anton Slepyshev (15-16) 11.5
  3. Toni Rajala (12-13) 11.4

It is an interesting thought. I am in favor of Puljujarvi playing the final 19 games in the AHL—if Anton Lander is his center. If Puljujarvi plays 19 more games and averages 2.9 shots a game and 12.1 shooting percentage, he will end the year having played 39 games and scoring 14 goals as an 18 year old AHL rookie.

Of course, with Lander as his center, times have been better. In Puljujarvi’s last nine games, many with Lander, he is 5-4-9, point per game. If JP scores 10 goals in his final 19 games of the season, he will have posted a 17-goal season in 39 games. We still don’t have his offense surrounded, but the shots are encouraging. If he can find the range more often—and that probably means shooting from high-scoring areas—we can be more comfortable with the idea of Puljujarvi as a first-person shooter on the McDavid line.

20 Responses to "JESSE PULJUJARVI AT THE HOTEL CALIFORNIA"

1. dykema8 says:

I’d like to see the oil bring up both lander and pool party for the final 5-10 games of the season leading up to the playoffs and sending caggiula down. play them on a line with desharnais or khaira and allow them to get comfortable. if we do that we have
    19-97-29
    27-93-14
    56-13-98
    54-55-44/42

thats a hell of a lot more speed than the current roster.
    I love hendricks as a person, but his best days are behind him. I’m sure he’s a great guy to have in the dressing room and on the bench, but out on the ice his skating is not where it needs to be.
    caggiulla is a quick, feisty player, but he hasn’t been producing.he’s still young and i dont see anything wrong with giving him some time in the minors to get his mojo back.

Zach Nagelvoort, who recently had a 40-save shutout for Michigan, gave up two first-period goals tonight.

3. spoiler says:

dykema8:
    I’d like to see the oil bring up both lander and pool party for the final 5-10 games of the season leading up to the playoffs and sending caggiula down. play them on a line with desharnaisor khaira and allow them to get comfortable. if we do that we have
    19-97-29
    27-93-14
    56-13-98
    54-55-44/42

thats a hell of a lot more speed than the current roster.

The view from my porch:

1. Lander lacks footspeed, so adding him to the roster is probably not going to accomplish an increase in speed. Removing Cags does reduce speed, but it looks like he’s being replaced by another waterbug in Deshay, so I’d call it a wash.

2. WG had a recent comment showing that the numbers between Landy and Hendo are pretty much a wash. Hendo brings other elements; it appears coaching and management value those differences. Experience being one. Management might also value Landy first finding and now developing his scoring touch in the A, dunno.

3. I’m fine with Pujo developing further in the A if they don’t feel he’s ready or that there would be too many rookie mistakes for the stretch run and playoffs. I’ve never thought it was a given he’d be back at the deadline. And it’s nice they have their own playoff battle.

4. spoiler says:

LT,

Pujo’s shooting percentage doesn’t worry me much. 12 percent is a decent number and we have no idea if that’s an up year or down year. Same with Rantanen’s number… his shooting percentage is 8.5 percent this year.

Tough to say anything without a heat map, or something similar, of their goals scored. I’d hazard some speculation that Rantanen’s AHL goals came from an average shorter distance than Pujo’s.

5. Centre of attention says:

Why are they scratching Benning again? According to Stauffer on Oilers now he will be sitting again tomorrow.

I understand giving him a game or two off down the stretch but this is something beyond that.

One wonders about an undisclosed injury.

6. Dino says:

Centre of attention,

Nurse is still very rusty. They want to play Gryba with him until he gets his game back to the level he had it before he went down. Gryba can help stabilize him in the meanwhile and Benning gets some rest. His 2 games with Nurse before getting benched were chaotic and that’s to be expected, he’s a rookie.

7. highgloveside says:

We are so used to late season call ups to develop players cause the Oilers have been no where near a playoff spot. Good teams don’t call up players strictly for development purposes or a cup of coffee in the last 15 games of the season and give them a bunch of ice time. JP needs his 18 min a night, he will not get that with the Oilers. He has played a bunch of NHL games already so he doesn’t need to add that notch on his belt.

Calling up JP with 15 games left means he maybe plays 5 games and likely no more than 13 min a night and that won’t help his development. Unless there is an injury at RW and they need him to play and he will dress for all or at least most of the games, calling JP up is not beneficial to him as a player. His development should be priority #1, he is not yet a difference maker that the team needs him.

Chia added Desharnais so Lander would not have to be depended on, so I do not expect Lander to get a call. Even if Lander gets called up, which is unlikely, I would rather JP get his minutes and continue to work without the benefit of a highly offensive player. After 20 games, he can be put in a position to try and drive a line if required. That is good experience to get. It wasn’t when he first got to the AHL, but now that he is comfortable, he can adapt better to that pressure.

8. speeds says:

I’m all for developing players in the minors as opposed to rushing them if they aren’t ready.

9. spoiler says:

highgloveside,

Yeah, agreed. There is no reason that makes sense in my mind that requires Pujo to spend all of his minutes with the best offensive C on the team. You’d want there to be a healthy amount, but a healthy amount of other players and styles too.

It’s not as important to play with someone who has the most talent, as it is to play with someone who has enough talent.

10. spoiler says:

speeds: But if he’s one of the best 12 forwards, he should be in the lineup for the playoffs, IMO.

Hii Speeds,

What do you mean by “best”? What measures would you use as GM/coach to determine this? Is this irrelevant of any development needs? I mean do you value the short term over the long term, or are discounting in some way? Why does being better than 4LW mean you should play 4RW? Not sure I’m understanding that correctly at all.

11. Glass says:

I would call him up in April for the remaining games of the season + playoffs. He would really benefit from a similar training regimen that Leon had by the way.

I don’t mind that Jesse is in Bakersfield, but I surely damn hope he isn’t checked into the “Hotel California”! -).

13. Gerta Rauss says:

godot10:

Why?

He can check out any time he likes

14. dustrock says:

Centre of attention:
    Why are they scratching Benning again?According to Stauffer on Oilers now he will be sitting again tomorrow.

One wonders about an undisclosed injury.

Right. McLellan has been pretty pro-Benning this year so I suspect injury. Can’t be fatigue because they’ve had 7 months off in this last week.

Man, how amazing would it be to call Puljujarvi up for the playoffs and have him score a GWG with McDavid?

Also can someone remind me how the callups work? Does he need to be on the Oilers by the last game of the season or can they call him up whenever?

15. kgo says:

Omg Detroit ties the flames with 0.4 seconds left. Hrudy choking back the vomit as he tries to break down the replay ….Thank you Mr tatar

16. Spengler says:

Is there anywhere that counts percent of shots on target (meaning number of shots that are saved or goals as opposed to missed/blocked)? I suppose one could subtract shots from Corsi/Fenwick but I don’t have the knowledge to do so yet. This would seem a vital skill that I can’t recall seeing counted.

17. megahurts says:

please stop Lowetide I can’t handle the excitement

18. spoiler says:

Gerta Rauss: Why?

He can check out any time he likes

As long as he can never Lee-eaf…

I’m good with that.

*lead break*

19. russ99 says:

There’s a real benefit to keeping Jesse in Bakersfield the rest of the year and the AHL playoffs.

I’d keep him there unless we have a significant injury in the top 6.

Bring up Fontaine for any bottom six injuries.

20. russ99 says:

Centre of attention,

iYeja

Dino:
    Centre of attention,

Good point.

Russell is still banged up and our guys keep getting dinged by shots, not sure Larsson or Sekera are 100% either. I’m sure he’ll get in before too much longer.

They could also be giving Benning extended rest due to what happened to Leon last year, where he wound down physically, from playing many more games against NHL competition than the year before at a much lower level.

So far Benning has played NHL 49 games and played 41 in the NCAA last year, so they maybe they’re doing this so he can be fresh for the last few weeks and the playoffs.