CRICKETS

Peter Chiarelli is somewhat unique among Oilers general managers who came before. The most successful GM in team history, Glen Sather, was very good at controlling the message. Breaking news about trades or contract disputes wasn’t so much leaks, as information strategically set loose on the media and then the masses.

Kevin Lowe’s front office had leaks, you kind of knew what was going to happen, or had a hunch about the possible range of outcomes. Steve Tambellini’s regime was very secretive, I am uncertain if the Oilers knew what the Oilers were doing when he was the head man. Craig MacTavish, a clever man with a gift for timing and humor, was perhaps too humorous, entertaining and revealing in his media avails. We not only knew what he was thinking, but so did his players and opponents.

Peter Chiarelli appears to have a different view about information, especially when it comes to trade or draft targets. Did any of us know about Adam Larsson as a trade target? David Desharnais? Most of us were convinced Edmonton was focused on Pierre-Luc Dubois at the draft, but the post-draft chatter had EDM preferring Mikhail Sergachev (if Jesse Puljujarvi didn’t fall). We also heard about a Montreal trade for Subban, but what was the return? Plenty of rumors, and what may have been overheard, but nothing concrete and no one to swear on a stack of Bibles.

DID YOU HEAR THE NAME DESHARNAIS?

I did not. TSN had him at No. 37 on their Feb 21 list, but that was about it as far as I can recall. Interesting then that the Oilers must have been scouting him, and we could probably track back and find out how many times EDM scouts were in the pressbox. None of this really matters, but one thing that I do believe to be true: Peter Chiarelli keeps his opinions close to him, and one could guess that the number of men who know exactly what he is thinking is a very low number.

NEXT YEAR COUNTRY

First, allow me to apologize in advance for what I am about to say. Due to unusual circumstances, we are going to have far less time to focus on the draft and projecting the fall lineup over the next several weeks. Now, I am going from memory here, but it could be well into the spring before we can really focus on the cap, the roster, and what might happen in the summertime. Amazing.

Since we have an off day this afternoon, let’s spend a little time on the roster possibilities. I won’t include cap numbers today, but we will begin to project the cap hit and overages as they might impact 2017-18.

PROJECTED LINEUP 2017-18

• Goal: Cam Talbot, Laurent Brossoit. Both signed for next year and will come in around $4.9 million.
  • Defense: Andrej Sekera, Adam Larsson, Oscar Klefbom, Matt Benning, Darnell Nurse, Cody Franson, Griffin Reinhart. I am going to guess they come in around $20 million.
  • Center: Connor McDavid, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, David Desharnais, Mark Letestu, Drake Caggiula. Having the best player in hockey centering your top line is an amazing luxury, and Nuge has the complete range of skills. Adding Desharnais (or similar) allows Leon to play RW. I estimate the cost for next season to be $15 million.
  • Left Wing: Patrick Maroon, Milan Lucic, Benoit Pouliot, Jujhar Khaira. I know many (not necessarily the folks who read this blog) would like to see BP sent away, but there are two years left and he is under 50, so it seems reasonable to bring him back and hope for a rebound season. Milan Lucic will want to have a stronger year as well, and we can hope Maroon duplicates his career year. Estimated cost: $12.5 million.
  • Right Wing: Leon Draisaitl, Jordan Eberle, Jesse Puljujarvi, Zack Kassian, Anton Slepyshev. This moves Leon to RW but also gives the team another option (Slepyshev, or Pitlick, who may end up on the roster) should Leon emerge as a C who can carry his own line. At the same time, if JP pushes LD off the McDavid line with strong performance, this allows for that with Kassian and the Russian stepping in. I estimate the cost at $18 million.
  • Total roster: 23.
  • Total cap estimate: $70.4 million.
  • Estimated cap: $73 million.

A few things: There is zero chance this will be the roster, but each man listed above represents reasonable where I have placed them in the batting order. We don’t know about overages, and we do know Peter Chiarelli is going to trade someone and won’t tell us or anyone who is going to gossip to us about it. Thoughts?

I would like to find a certain way to get Leon back to center, because Puljujarvi-Eberle should be the goal on RW for the skill lines. That may happen, but Desharnais (or other) represents some insurance. And who knows? Maybe Drake Caggiula forces his way in at center or wing.

CONDORS PROSPECTS SINCE JANUARY 1

I like to do this every once in awhile, seems to me organizations push their prospects a little in the new year and we have had some impressive gains. Prospects only, here we go.

1. Jesse Puljujarvi 22, 9-11-20
  11. Kyle Platzer 19,, 0-2-2
  12. Jujhar Khaira 2, 0-2-2
  13. Braden Christoffer 11, 0-1-1
  14. Henrik Samuelsson 5, 0-0-0
  15. Anton Slepyshev 1, 0-0-0
  16. Nick Ellis stopped 426 of 461 shots, .924

There are some fine numbers being posted here since the new year. I would point out Jesse Puljujarvi, Nick Ellis, Joey Laleggia, Jordan Oesterle and Griffin Reinhart as posting a strong couple of months. A nice weekend for Greg Chase, too.

72 Responses to "CRICKETS"

1. Yeti says:

LT – just wondering how close you think the Oilers have Oesterle and Reinhart ranked as LD prospects? I know the acquisition cost for Reinhart was substantial, but – that aside – doesn’t their relative usage this season suggest that the team doesn’t see much between them?

2. spoiler says:

I wonder if Chia uses MacT as a decoy during trade season… where he sends him, where he’s seen…

3. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Ha!

4. Glass says:

To fit Eberle & Puljujarvi in the top 6 we’d have to run either Nuge or Drai on the LW.

I imagine you’d want to spread out the scoring, so perhaps run Draisaitl on Nuge’s line. Maroon has a history of success with McDavid, and I don’t quite trust Lucic there in comparison, as he lacks the finishing ability that Maroon has demonstrated. If things pan out well, we run Puljujarvi with McDavid and Eberle with Nuge.

So far you have:
    Maroon/McDavid/Puljujarvi
    Draisaitl/Nuge/Eberle

For our bottom 6, Lucic is an obvious lock for the top 9 so we’ll start from there. Desharnais will be used as my place holder. I do not know if he is in the plans, or if we sign or trade for another 3C in the off season. Kassian has the speed, shot, and physicality to play on this line, so I keep him there.

On the bottom line, I imagine we’ll run Pouliot, Letestu, and rotate Caggiula, Pitlick, and Slepyshev.
    ————————————————-
    If we have to trade Eberle or Nuge, it has to be Eberle. You could run Draisaitl on McDavid’s RW, and Lucic/Nuge/Puljujarvi as your 2nd line. If we don’t have Nuge, then we’re in bad shape if McDavid or Draisaitl get injured.

Trading Eberle Scenarios:
    1. We could trade Eberle this off-season, package him for a 2RHD or high level RHD prospect + pick or depth player.
    2. Trade him at next year’s deadline for futures. 1st round, prospect, depth player.
    3. Decide not to trade him, make a push for the conference finals & beyond, and let him walk.

5. MrEd says:

Crickets on H.Samuelsson? Or did I miss something?

6. murphy says:

I don’t see a way ebs stays unless he rips apart the playoffs and we go a couple rounds deep. I do like the thought of letting russell go (please be to a long term deal with LV, counting as our player lost). Then bringing in franson and hemsky on the cheap. Next year i hope we sign a few depth vets so we domt have to send assets out the door at the deadline.

Glass:
    To fit in Eberle & Puljujarvi on the RW we’d have to run either Nuge or Drai on the LW.

So far you have:
    Maroon/McDavid/Puljujarvi
    Draisaitl/Nuge/Eberle

If JP can play on the McDavid line, I would run:

Maroon-Mcdavid-JP
    Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle
    Lucic-Leon-???

8. murphy says:

Lucic-leon-hemsky?

9. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Lucic-Desharnais-Drai

10. spoiler says:

If Desharnais will re-sign for cheap, and the plan is to play Drai at C, wouldn’t Nuge likely be on his way out of town?

murphy:

Lucic-leon-hemsky?

I think PC would prefer

Lucic-Leon-Leona Helmsley

spoiler:

13. Rake 2.0 says:

If they want to make a run at it next year, I’d love to see Justin Williams on a one year deal. If you could fit him under the cap there would be serious unicorns.

14. Walter Sobchak says:

I really can’t see Pouliot coming back.

The cap has to be a concern for the Oilers and I’m not sure how much Tmac likes Pouliots company.

I’ve also convinced myself that PC is going to come away with both Landeskog and Duchene, so I’m gearing up for major heartbreak when It goes south.

seriously though……….

19-97-29

92-93-9 (requires new number)

27-13-98

Am I right or am I right!!!

Lordy!

15. Professor Q says:

Lowetide: I think the HOPE is Leon at center, but suspect it is a year away and Nuge is more likely to be dealy summer 2018.

Dealt for D or Goal at that point?

16. spoiler says:

Walter Sobchak: I really can’t see Pouliot coming back.

It is a difficult proposition for me to believe in. Too many other options… cheaper, possibly more coachable.

17. Woodguy v2.0 says:

I see you have no Russell, but a Franson.

I agree that Russell will probably price himself out of an extension in EDM.

I don’t think Franson is what Chia will look for to his 2RD though.

Peter, and Kevin for that matter like nastiness in at least one Dman per pair.

Klef (skater/passer) – Larsson (Nasty with some skating/passing)
    Sekera (skater/passer) – X (needs some Nasty)
    Nurse (Nasty, skater, passing needs to improve) – Benning (skater/passer a touch of nasty)

I think and ideal person for 2RD would be Manson from ANA. Big, nasty, can skate and pass. No way on Gord’s green earth he’s available though.

I think Peter goes for that type though.

Woodguy v2.0:

I see you have no Russell, but a Franson.

I agree that Russell will probably price himself out of an extension in EDM.

I don’t think Franson is what Chia will look for to his 2RD though.

Peter, and Kevin for that matter like nastiness in at least one Dman per pair.

Klef (skater/passer) – Larsson (Nasty with some skating/passing)
    Sekera (skater/passer) – X (needs some Nasty)

I think and ideal person for 2RD would be Manson from ANA. Big, nasty, can skate and pass.No way on Gord’s green earth he’s available though.

I think Peter goes for that type though.

19. who says:

Pretty tough to project next years lineup til after the expansion draft. The oilers will probably lose someone from your roster. We also haven’t seen near enough of DD to make a decision on him for next year.
    Having said all that I think the key to the lineup next year will be JP. If he is ready to play with McDavid then I don’t see them resigning DD. If your cap numbers are right I could see them hanging on to Eberle for one more year but if they need to dump salary, and JP is ready, he will be the first to go. Something like this
    Maroon. McDavid. JP
    Lucic Nuge. Eberle
    Poo. Drai. Kassian
    JJ/Cags. Letestu. Slep/Pitlick
    Not saying these will be the lines, just the depth chart. If they trade Eberle they will probably try to bring in a veteran center or right winger.
    Suspect the defense stays as is with either a Russell resigning or another veteran coming in . Don’t know about Franson though.

Professor Q: Dealt for D or Goal at that point?

Inexpensive C options is my guess. PC is going to need to get a cheaper Eberle and a cheaper Nuge to fill their respective roles. He went with an expensive replacement for Hall, doubt he has that luxury for the other two.

21. murphy says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Perfect fit there would be trouba but no idea what would get it done that we would let go of.

22. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Yak playing with Paajarvi and Lehtera today.

Line of the Misfit toys.

23. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Lowetide: I like Sekera-Benning. I know it is undersized and they are not members of the PC Dental Plan, but they can play the hockey.

I love Sekera-Benning and think they are an actual Top 4 NHL D-pair.

That said, its more prudent to get a most established player for 2RD.

Having a 3rd pair of Nurse-Benning on merit would be a very good thing.

24. nelson88 says:

To follow up on my #freeantonlander from the last thread; and yes Treevojo that he has been unclaimed on waivers. Fair point but maybe that may say something about the stench by association with the Oilers during the shit show of the past few years.

Some comps all with relatively small but similar sample sizes.

Lander (2014-15 season)
    38 GP
    15:00 mins/game – 2:03 pp/game
    2.10 p/60 and .63 g/60

Perron (2014 – 15 with Oilers and Penquins)
    38 GP

9:55 mins/game – .05 pp/game
    2.15 p/60 and 1.56 g/60

Cagguila (2016-17)
    46 GP
    13:33 mins/game – 1.37 pp/game
    .96 p/60 and .39 g/60

Lander’s 2014-15 numbers are strong and 16-17 was terrible. The steady state is ikely somewhere in the middle but the narrative that Lander can’t produce if given reasonable time on ice and pp time at the NHL level doesn’t really hold up. The 2016-17 Oilers have better PP and scoring options than the 2014-15 version so not suggesting he should be playing that role but we also can’t unfairly judge him by that standard.

Nothing against Cagguila (I cheer for all Oiler players) and to be fair he is currently one year younger than Lander was in 2014-15 but interesting that one is the golden boy with the coach and GM while the other can’t get steady employment in the NHL. Politics and bias are in everything and particularly pro sports but I don’t have to like it. The recent history of “norris trophy” Schultz should have taught the Oilers something about gifting minutes.

Hope Lander can get a fresh start with another organization. There’s a player in there.

Pitlick’s year was silly good. Great to see the kid get traction but hard to see those scoring rates being sustainable.

25. Woodguy v2.0 says:

murphy:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Yes, he’s a perfect fit there.

Really doubt that happens.

Sounds like WPG is going to make Myers available and go with Buf-Trouba on the right side in the top 4.

They need a decent LHD for their top 4.

Given his injury history and $5.5 cap hit (despite actual $$$ being $3.5 and $3.0) I don’t think they can expect too much back for him.

His recent surgery was reported to not be the same hip and knee issues that he had before, so there’s another injury added to his history.

He might be a target if Chia can get him on the cheap (asset wise)

That would have been an interesting trade proposal with Davidson + for Myers…….

26. Lloyd B. says:

I’m going to suggest there are two guys that know “Exactly” what Chiarelli is thinking.

1) Nicholson – Needs the owners approval – no way some of the trades (one for sure) gets made without Katz knowing. Accountability.

2) McLellan – Coach tells him what he needs to be successful – GM tells him options. What it costs…what he can get. GM gives coach the rope to run with or wrap around his neck. Accountability.

27. spoiler says:

I’m going to hazard a guess that Pitlick gets offered a contract and snaps it up. There’s no reason to leave an org that has stuck by you through countless injuries… and might as well play with your buddies.

Mama Kass too I think will be a dancing bear before July 1.

28. spoiler says:

Woodguy v2.0: He might be a target if Chia can get him on the cheap (asset wise)

I think Myers is a target too. And Hamonic might still be on the radar.

29. kinger_OIL says:

Woodguy v2.0,

– Indeed: a Nurse-Benning on merit as 3rd pairing is an elite Dcorps

– Sek has been a hero: his top 5 partners in last 2 years, Fayne Russel, Nurse, Benning, Davey.

– Not a bona-fide top-4 D among them alone (and certainly not without him).

– How good would he be and how complete our D would be if he was partnered with a >=Sek

– Sek has been a godsend: our “break in new guy D”

Klef-Larson
    Sek (better than Russel)
    Nurse- Benning
    Griff-Gryba

Hi elite D

30. Diablo says:

Too much smoke regarding Franson – which means its extremely unlikely.

Gryba will almost certainly be back – he costs little, he knows TMac’s system and the coach is comfortable with him, he’s good in the #7-8 role, and by all accounts he’s a gentleman off the ice,

WG – not sure that we’re a fit for Myers, unless you’re willing to give up Klef or Nurse. If you’re not (and I’n not BTW) Chevy’s just going to hold on to Myers until he gets the price he wants. There is no rush for the Jets to move him at all. The Jets are not interested in our fringe players – they have plenty of their own.

I think Chia will swing a deal with LV at the expansion draft to get some D depth – none of us will see it coming. Then we’ll all bitch and moan about it with endless posts of how he could have done this or that instead. And then they’ll start playing the games and it will all work out just fine.

Personally I’m really starting to trust that Chia knows what he’s doing. And I’ve definitely learned that there is absolutely no point trying to guess what he is planning.

31. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Chevy won’t get that much for him imo (Klef or Nurse), but you never know, there is a premium on RHD.

As for the “fringe” thing, I get that.

Thing is that Davidson’s results put all of their LHD in the shade except for Enstrom.

WPG hobbles itself with its LHD, which are the easiest to get.

Its weird.

Morrisey is coming along well now and he should take the 2LD spot, but they’ve played Postma, Chariot and Stuart a combined 6000 minutes over the last 3 years.

Weird.

32. Woodguy v2.0 says:

spoiler: I think Myers is a target too.And Hamonic might still be on the radar.

Hamonic would be perfect.

I’ve come around on Faulk again too but he doesn’t fit the “nasty” portion.

33. Woodguy v2.0 says:

kinger_OIL:
    Woodguy v2.0,

– Indeed: a Nurse-Benning on merit as 3rd pairing is an elite Dcorps

– Sek has been a hero: his top 5partners in last 2 years, Fayne Russel, Nurse, Benning, Davey.

– Not a bona-fide top-4 D among them alone (and certainly not without him).

– Sek has been a godsend: our “break in new guy D”

Klef-Larson
    Sek (better than Russel)
    Nurse- Benning
    Griff-Gryba

Hi elite D

Agreed.

Sek was the best Dman last, and best again this year.

Whoever christened him “The turd polisher” was bang on.

Will help get the team to the next level if he’s not polishing a turd next year.

Benning isn’t a turd, he’s just a rookie, but its amazing how well he does with a rookie (a good rookie) in tougher minutes.

34. LadiesloveSmid says:

Woodguy v2.0: Hamonic would be perfect.

I’ve come around on Faulk again too but he doesn’t fit the “nasty” portion.

Have Hamonic’s numbers come around? Thought he was having a tough tough year

35. Woodguy v2.0 says:

@coreypronman

Jesse Puljujarvi at a ~ point/gm, 3 shots/gm pace in the AHL since being sent down. Similar to pace of David Pastrnak at the same age.

*swoon*

36. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    @coreypronman

*swoon*

19-97-29
    27-93-14
    67-13-98
    54-55-44

Please and thank you.

37. Woodguy v2.0 says:

LadiesloveSmid: Have Hamonic’s numbers come around? Thought he was having a tough tough year

He’s been paired with Leddy and they just don’t seem to work well together.

Hamonic + Leddy 42%
    Hamonic apart 47.3%
    Leddy apart 50.5%

Hamonic has a long history of being the good vs toughs so if you were sure there isn’t a nagging injury I would discount this year heavily.

He’s done very well with DeHaan over the years.

They only played 19 minutes together this year (56%CF of course…..)

Strange year for NYI

The pair meddling with the Dpairs is a big part of it.

Last year Hamonic-DeHaan and Leddy-Boychuck were a fine top 4 but they seem to refuse to run those pairs this year even though those pairs have done well in their small samples together this year.

38. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Today NYI ran:

Hamonic-DeHaan (8:01)
    DeHaan – Siedenburg (8:04)
    Hamonic – Hickey (7:03)
    Siedenberg-Hickey (6:02)
    Leddy-Mayfield (14:51 – at a 39.9%CF)

Looks like they mixed it up after 4ga in the 1st.

Hickey started with Hamonic, then they switched to Hamonic-DeHaan

SIedenberg started with DeHaan, then switched to Hickey.

Boychuk is day to day with a LBI.

That’s NYI year in a nut shell.

39. Scungilli says:

Woodguy v2.0:

I see you have no Russell, but a Franson.

I agree that Russell will probably price himself out of an extension in EDM.

I don’t think Franson is what Chia will look for to his 2RD though.

Peter, and Kevin for that matter like nastiness in at least one Dman per pair.

Klef (skater/passer) – Larsson (Nasty with some skating/passing)
    Sekera (skater/passer) – X (needs some Nasty)

I think Peter goes for that type though.

I don’t think the Jets keep Trouba because bad blood and 3 top 4 RHD. Does Benning and a pick get him, Benning and a leftorium? Smart?

Edit- Murphy!

No to Myers. He’s not going to age well especially given quickness is so important

Bachman wins over ANA.Wow

41. Pescador says:

Canucks do it again in Regulation ta boot

42. who says:

Scungilli: I don’t think the Jets keep Trouba because bad blood and 3 top 4 RHD. Does Benning and a pick get him, Benning and leftorium.

Think Trouba has jumped ahead of Myers on the Jets depth chart. Morissey has looked good on the left side but they are weak after that.

43. JDï™ says:

Woodguy v2.0:

19-97-29
    27-93-14
    67-13-98
    54-55-44

whistles…

44. Scungilli says:

who:

Too bad.

There is a lot of scuttlebut suggesting Chia has tried to move Nuge and Eberle repeatedly. If they help him out at all by playing like they can I’d say it’s a forgone conclusion, more about money than anything else but they aren’t really his style.

I’m ok with trading any player other than CMD for value. I truly hope he’s going to move them and not get fleeced again or wait until the last year of their contracts.

45. Diablo says:

Woodguy v2.0:

As for the “fringe” thing, I get that.

WPG hobbles itself with its LHD, which are the easiest to get.

Its weird.

Weird.

The Hall-Larsson trade has changed the whole dynamic for RHD with term.

We don’t have anymore Halls to give up, so then who would the Jets want off our roster.
    Eberle? doubtful, RNH? maybe, but that’s not a deal worth doing from our end.
    Jesse? maybe, but I’d rather not. Draisaitl – not a chance we’d do that. Benning? He’s cheap and effective, so no. Lucic and Sekera have NMCs.

What does that leave us with in terms of tradable assets? A 1st in the 20’s in a weak draft, and then some fringe guys – Reinhart, Slepy, Khaira, Caggiula, Musil, Simpson. Lets be realistic – we’re not getting a top 4 RHD from anybody with those assets. It would have to be Klefbom or Nurse to get a deal done.

And just to dispell a myth that I’ve seen posted here repeated – the biggest problem for the Jets is not LHD – its goaltending (Hellebuyck’s been wildly inconsistent this year) and injuries. Those are two areas that should regress to the mean for the Jets next season. IF they decide to move Myers, I guarantee that they will be in the drivers seat with multiple teams pitching offers – top 4 RHD have immense value in the NHL marketplace – we should all know that by now.

46. delooper says:

Kassian sounds so much more mature now. In his interview today after practice, he sounds almost as mature as Leon Draisaitl. That’s saying something!

47. who says:

Scungilli: Too bad.

Yeah. I think Eberle is now Chia s biggest trade chip. However there is no match with the Jets. They are loaded with forwards. They don’t need Eberle and his 6 mil contract.
    The Islanders are a better fit. If they miss the playoffs they may look at Eberle plus for Hamonic.

48. Ray says:

who,

If nyi miss the playoffs and ebs does well for us it might be more of a one for one

49. treevojo says:

nelson88:
    To follow up on my #freeantonlander from the last thread; and yes Treevojo that he has been unclaimed on waivers. Fair point but maybe that may saysomething about the stench by associationwith the Oilers during the shit show of the past few years.

Some comps all with relatively small but similar sample sizes.

Lander (2014-15 season)
    38 GP
    15:00 mins/game – 2:03 pp/game
    2.10 p/60 and .63 g/60

Perron (2014 – 15 with Oilers and Penquins)
    38 GP

9:55 mins/game – .05 pp/game
    2.15 p/60 and 1.56 g/60

Cagguila (2016-17)
    46 GP
    13:33 mins/game – 1.37 pp/game
    .96 p/60 and .39 g/60

Pitlick’s year was silly good. Great to see the kid get traction but hard to see those scoring ratesbeing sustainable.

The AHL has been littered with players similar to Lander that have ripped the league apart.

I could go back and write up a long list but I am sure you already know this.

Lander is being paid an NHL salary to do what he is doing.

He has past through waivers 3 times.

#freeantonlander? He has already been freed.

I very rarely ever say anything negative about Oilers players.

I have nothing negative to say about Lander.

He will be free again this summer.

I hope he takes advantage of his opportunity and has a long NHL career.

50. who says:

Ray:
    who,

Woodguy v2.0: I love Sekera-Benning and think they are an actual Top 4 NHL D-pair.

That said, its more prudent to get a most established player for 2RD.

Having a 3rd pair of Nurse-Benning on merit would be a very good thing.

The more substantial guy comes, but he plays with Nurse.

Klefbom, Larsson
    Sekera, Benning
    Nurse, Faulk
    Osterle, Gryba

Reinhart is in Vegas.

The Oilers are not likely to qualify Lander, so he becomes a UFA, and signs with Chicago to replace Marcus Kruger (who is picked by LV in the expansion draft).

53. Diablo says:

who: Best case scenario the oilers would have to add one of their junior dmen. And even that would be a long shot.

Our improvement is going to happen organically – by our young D getting better.
    – Klefbom: 172 GP
    – Darnell Nurse: 99 GP
    – Benning: 50 GP
    – Larsson: 336 GP (still just 24 years old and a veritable NHL “vet” now)

No need to go whale hunting anymore – that’s going to be a very good top 4 D – we all just need to have a little bit of patience. Rather than spending 5.5 million on a Myers – maintain cap flexibility so you can sign 2-3 vets on bargain contracts like Gryba. Need to have a plan to have 8 NHL D-men every year.

54. Ducey says:

LT. Was at the Oil Kings today. Swifty had a Dman from Surrey named Kharia. Sahvan is JarJars brother.

Looks to be undrafted. 19. 6’3″ very rangy. Skates well. Jumped into the offense. And he is RHD.

Offensive numbers seem shy but as I say he was pushing it. Might be a guy to keep an eye on

55. I don't Khaira bout Hall says:

Id love to see something like Nuge and Ebs for Trocheck and Bjugstad. I think Nuge and Ebs are good players but I wouldn’t consider either of their contracts value. Trocheck would be great value, Bjugstad would be a project. We’d probably have to add to it to make it work but it would get us an extra 3 million or so in cap space. I’m no expert though, I’m more just curious what some of the more savvy posters here think?

56. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Glad we won yesterday since Calgary never seems to lose. Crazy run. Man.

57. spoiler says:

I don’t Khaira bout Hall: Id love to see something like Nuge and Ebs for Trocheck and Bjugstad.

I wouldn’t mind that either, but we need a scenario where Tallon values our two pieces more than his two pieces–even with an add these 4 would be the core of the deal. I doubt that he does, with salary being a big part of the difference in valuation.

58. prairieschooner says:

I believe that PC will continue to address need with no compunction about trading or buying the players he feels he needs.
    Look for at least one guy who can win a face off in the bottom six starting next year

There was a lot of crap dumped on Desharnais on the Habs forums but reading between the lines it would appear that the Habs were playing him too high up their line up or too many minutes

59. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

spoiler,

Just glad we swept them already. I do not want to face them in round one, as much as BoA revival has appeal. Prefer the Ducks because I prefer to see Round 2.

60. treevojo says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    spoiler,

I disagree.

I would love to see the flames in the first round.

I think we match up great with them.

They have no one who can shut down mcdavid.

Kessler would be all up in Mcdavid’s grill from the minute the puck is dropped.

I think he would have a better chance of shutting down Connor then anyone on the Flames could.

It would suck to lose to the flames more then it would Anaheim in round one but I honestly think Connor and the boys would lay a spanking on Calgary so I worry less about it.

61. maudite says:

treevojo: uck to lose to the flames more then it would Anaheim in round one but I honestly think Connor and the boys would lay a spanking on Calgary so I worry less about it.
      (Quote)  (Reply)

As silly as it sounds:

62. Johnny Stomper says:

Maybe I’m just stuck in my hopes on this player or to quote Lowetide I’m just plain bullish!! Nurse is your top 4 next year and it’s really too bad that he had the injury he had but he is ready to step up. I think we’ll all see him stand out in a positive way over the next month and especially in the playoffs…

Book it!

63. spoiler says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

I think–hope–they come back to earth. My vote is no parachute. I want to see elastic band regression. Reverse bungee cord snap back.

Good points of view by TV and Maudite above. One man’s soup…

64. Dr. Taboggan says:

Does anyone know what happened to Oilersnerdalert? Gmoney on vacation?

65. who says:

Diablo: Yeah I’m not a fan of robbing the forwards of more scoring depth for another expensive top 4 D-man. If we’re going to trade Eberle, we should be targeting a couple of young cost-contained forwards.

Our improvement is going to happen organically – by our young D getting better.
    – Klefbom: 172 GP
    – Darnell Nurse: 99 GP
    – Benning: 50 GP
    – Larsson: 336 GP (still just 24 years old and a veritable NHL “vet” now)

No need to go whale hunting anymore – that’s going to be a very good top 4 D – we all just need to have a little bit of patience.Rather than spending 5.5 million on a Myers – maintain cap flexibility so you can sign 2-3 vets on bargain contracts like Gryba. Need to have a plan to have 8 NHL D-men every year.

I am inclined to agree with you. Although Hamonic at 4 mil is not an expensive dman. That contract is a big reason why I don’t think the Islanders trade him. What if the oilers did not re sign Russell and did not add any more dmen.
    Klef. Larsson
    Nurse. Sekera
    Reinhart. Benning
    Oesterle. Gryba
    Assuming they can sign Gryba for the same money. Is that a good enough 8.

66. N64 says:

who: I am inclined to agree with you. Although Hamonic at 4 mil is not an expensive dman. That contract is a big reason why I don’t think the Islanders trade him.What if the oilers did not re sign Russell and did not add any more dmen.
    Klef. Larsson
    Nurse. Sekera
    Reinhart.Benning
    Oesterle.Gryba
    Assuming they can sign Gryba for the same money. Is that a good enough 8.

If that’s a good enough Left side surely Vegas takes one of them 😉

67. B S says:

maudite: I want nothing to do with Calgary in the 1st round. I think we win but I’m pretty sure the Junior TK likely injures someone badly if they make the playoffs. I’d rather he get his first playoff cheapshot 2 game suspension against someone else. The kid is going to hurt some people and for some reason it’s going to take a few of them before the league starts reigning him in.

This is exactly how I feel. I think the Oilers could crush the Flames, but Tkachuck is a real piece of shit on the ice. He’s going to end a career or two someday soon, so the less games Connor plays against him the better. Flames fans seem to think they have a Marchand, but he’s really a Matt Cooke or Sean Avery, the sort of dirtbag player I would hate to have on my team.

68. Diablo says:

Klef. Larsson
    Nurse. Sekera
    Reinhart.Benning
    Oesterle.Gryba
    Assuming they can sign Gryba for the same money. Is that a good enough 8.

Depends on Reinhart’s progress – question to those who have been watching Bakersfield – how’s he been playing? That’s.a big item for next year – if he’s back on track, then they can let Russell go and use the cash to address other needs. Or at the very least they will have leverage in contract negotiations with Russell.

I agree with you on Hamonic – nice contract for sure. Which is why I don’t see NYI trading him unless we overpay. If you’re a GM on another team, with a young RHD on a long term, team-friendly contract your going to want what Shero got for Larsson – cause getting anything less might get you fired, after your fanbase and ownership lose their minds over the loss of perceived ‘value’.

69. JDï™ says:

Dr. Taboggan: what happened to Oilersnerdalert?

He was hired by the Flames a while ago…

😉

70. Dennis King says:

You bitch!!!!

71. Dennis King says:

– Nice to see young 98 officially being on track from the offensive standpoint
    – Cgy is real and I don’t know anything to do with them
    – I hope the idea is 29 down the middle but that probably only happens if there’s a renewed confidence in 14.

To wit:

27-97-98
    19-93-14
    67-29- UFA

Yes, yes, I know Lugic is poor but a year older 98 plus 97 could be enough to make that work and then the other two lines could rip it up if there’s a good job done with my mystery UFA RW