THE LAST SPIKE

In his last eight games, Jordan Eberle is 3-4-7. Like a fabulous mystery, he appears to have waited until the final possible moment to deliver the key plot twist. Jordan Eberle, Mr. Consistent, is back from the abyss just in time to save Gotham. Well, Edmonton.

THE SECOND LINE, LAST 10 GAMES

• Jordan Eberle 3-4-7, 23 shots (all points at evens)
  • Milan Lucic 3-3-6, 19 shots (2-2-4 at evens)
  • RNH 2-4-6, 16 shots (2-3-5 at evens)
  • Eight goals for the line in 10 games, averaging about 6 shots a game, most points at even strength.

FRIENDS DON’T LET FRIENDS TYPE DRUNK

Back in the summer, I ran REs for all of these fellows based on their own past. Each one of them is off by a significant amount and it is getting late.

• Jordan Eberle RE (75, 27-34-61 .813) versus actual (65, 14-25-39 .600)
  • Milan Lucic RE (80, 22-39-61 .763) versus actual (65, 14-22-36 .554)
  • RNH RE (75, 20-31-51 .680) versus actual (65, 13-19-32 .492)

I was off by a lot on Eberle (14 points), Lucic (14 points) and Nuge (12 points), but there is still time to close the gap a little. All three of these men should be at 50 points without a throw, but with a strong finish maybe they get close. The strange thing? I am going to be pretty close on my RE GF projection from the summer.

• Goals For: RE (226, 2.76 per game) versus actual (183 in 65, 2.82 per game)
  • Goals Against: RE (226, 2.76 per game) versus actual (166 in 65, 2.55 per game)

• 2015-16: 199-242, -43 goal differential
  • 2016-17: 183-166, +17 goal differential (so far)
  • Projected 2016-17: 231-209 (+22)
  • Projected RE 16-17: 226-226 (0)

The Oilers are on pace to improve by 65 goals season over season. That improvement is trending toward breaking down like this: +32 in goals for, -33  in goals against. Huh. That is amazing. Hope it ends up  that way.

CENTERS WITHOUT LEON

The first game of the Desharnais era has all of us discussing the idea of signing him (well, I am talking about it) and then possibly keeping Leon Draisaitl on RW until Jesse Puljujarvi pushes him back to center. I like the idea, and the group sure looked good on Saturday, but one day does not a dynasty make. We also have to factor in the idea of Jordan Eberle possibly being a cap victim in the next 18 months.

PROJECTED OPENING NIGHT LINEUP 2017-18

• Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
  • Lucic-Nuge-Eberle
  • Pouliot-Desharnais-Puljujarvi
  • Khaira-Letestu-Kassian

One suspects we see an expensive forward out for a less expensive version of the same player (Guerin for Carter) and that may come at the draft. I also remain undecided on which of Khaira, Slepyshev or Caggiula would get a push based on what we know. Caggiula in the lineup over Slepyshev Saturday night may a blue’s clue.

• Jesse Puljujarvi 22, 9-11-20 .909; 64 shots, 2.91 per game
  • David Pastrnak 25, 11-17-28 1.12; 76 shots, 3.04 per game
  • Mikko Rantanen 52, 24-36-60 1.15; 140 shots, 2.69 per game

There are definitely similarities between the three men and this is a nice part of town. Pastrnak’s most common center appears to have been Alexander Khokhlachev, who was a solid AHL player at the time but well below Anton Lander. I am pleased with Mr. P’s progress (NHLE: 82gp, 18-22-40) and watching the game yesterday it was clear the young man is an impact player at that level. That said, we can be sure Lander is zooming the boxcars like a demon, so probably best to temper our expectations in the comparisons to Pastrnak.

STANDINGS THIS MORNING

Edmonton leads the division in goals, that is a surprise. You know what saved me RE? Goals from the defense. We will review after the season but it is an impressive leap for the blue, who have real home run power this season. Lots of chatter about facing Calgary in the first round, ideally Edmonton finishes second and hosts Anaheim. That said, getting in the playoffs is the first priority and there may not be time to pick your poison. I will say this: It would be nice to see the Oilers play their first playoff game since 2006 in a city not named Calgary. It is going to be a fun month! A quick note: I use team GF-GA totals from hockey-reference, I find it cleaner.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM MARCH

• At home to: Detroit, NY Islanders, Pittsburgh, Montreal (Expected: 2-2-0) (Actual 1-0-0)
  • At home to: Dallas, Boston, Vancouver, Los Angeles (Expected: 3-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Anaheim, Colorado (Expected: 1-1-0) (Actual: 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Colorado, Los Angeles, San Jose (Expected 1-1-1) (Actual: 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 7-5-1, 15 points in 13 games
  • Overall current results: 1-0-0, 2 points in one game

I think the Oilers should be able to secure second place in the division. The best team in the division is San Jose, and then after that we are dealing (imo) in shades of grey. That said, Calgary’s strong run is impressive and they appear to have scoring and defensive depth to go along with fine goaltending. They will have a story to tell, but the Oilers do as well. Could Edmonton get more than 15 points out of this month? It might take close to 20 if the Flames continue their hot as Hades run. That said, if a BOA series this spring is the beginning of another decade of raw nerve rivalry with the reds, then bring it on.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, we kickstart the week with a varied menu of the sports. Scheduled to appear:

• Scott Burnside, ESPN. Who won the trade deadline? Are we headed for a battle of Alberta? The Blackhawks appear to be peaking right on time.
  • Andy McNamara, TSN4Downs. NFL combine went this weekend, what will Cleveland do? Also, the wideout I wanted for the Eagles at No. 14 blew up the speedometer.
  • Sunil Agnihotri, Copper & Blue plus The SuperFan. Can the Oilers hold off the Flames and finish ahead of them? Desharnais and his role, plus the week to come.
  • Jared Book, Habs Eyes on the Prize and Bluebird Banter. More on Desharnais, plus the Jays are coming together at spring training.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on text. Talk soon!

130 Responses to "THE LAST SPIKE"

1. dustrock says:

I didn’t mind the move for Desharnais once Woodguy explained how much of an anchor Emelin is. 😉

That being said, it’s 1 game and we’ll see how he plays during the stretch.

Burrows had what, 2 goals in his first game for the Sens? Doesn’t mean the extension was a good idea.

I have this idea in my mind that traded players often have a good first week and then come back to reality a bit, but it could be just total Rock N Roll Fantasy

2. Side says:

“Jordan Eberle, Mr. Consistent, is back from the abyss just in time to save Gotham. Well, Edmonton.”

Bruce Wayne is triggered.

3. barry.moore23 says:

Off topic alert.

I was at the game in Tampa a couple of weeks ago. Pre game skate down against the glass standing next to a young girl that was holding up a sign “I’ve waited 583 days to see Connor McDavid”. Wearing her Oilers T shirt, of course. Anyway, before it was over Connor comes over and tosses a puck over the glass right into her hands. Tears fill her eyes and stream down her cheeks as he skates away. Priceless.

4. jake70 says:

Thanks Godot for clarifying who centred Magnus in OKC a few years back. I didn’t have a clue really, didn’t realize Lander was in NHL for a lot of those games. JPs numbers are much better than MPS at 2 years younger, so encouraging.

5. jake70 says:

barry.moore23:
    Off topic alert.

Are you sure that wasn’t you down by the glass holding the sign? I kid I kid……nice story.

6. Scungilli says:

If JP can score at a decent first line level and play a strong two way game, that would be a significant add to the team.

7. Kepler62 says:

“I will say this: It would be nice to see the Oilers play their first playoff game since 2006 in a city not named Calgary.”

Sorry, I disagree. I can’t think of a better way to make a return to the playoffs. An Edmonton-Calgary matchup would be great for both teams, the provinces fan base, and the NHL as a whole.

Anaheim can’t even fill their arena… not sure how that makes a great playoff atmosphere for the Oilers young team.

8. meanashell11 says:

I look forward to playing the Godless Flames. It’s not worth it if we can’t beat them down along the way.

9. Woodguy v2.0 says:

WC standing this morning using points percentage.Shown as “games over .500” to see spreads.8th place set to 0 games.

MIN 22
    LAK -2
    WPG -5
    VAN -7
    DAL -8
    ARI -17
    COL -32

EDM now two games up on ANA after Stephen King’s improbable 43 save performance for VAN last night. Go VAN!!

Is it possible to look bad when winning 3-0? I didn’t watch the game, but that is what I heard about STL-COL last night.

CGY continues their torrid pace with a 1070 PDO (11.22 SH% .9573 SV%) over the last 9 games. That will come back to reality, but no one knows when.

STL-LAK fight for the final spot has all the hallmarks of snail race.

WC games tonight:

DAL at WSH – makes no difference to anyone
    SJS at WPG – highly improbable that this game means anything to anyone in the race

10. Woodguy v2.0 says:

EC standing this morning using points percentage.Shown as “games over .500” to see spreads.8th place set to 0 games.

WSH 24
    TBY -3
    PHI -3
    CAR -7
    BUF -7
    DET -9
    NJD -10

NYI’s bed-shitting continues as they try to figure out the D-pairs. They went back to Hamonic-DeHaan in yesterday’s game after going down by 4 in the 1st so expect that pair, which has a record of playing well vs toughs, against EDM tomorrow.

TOR still has life but a tough schedule.

TBY has gained 4 games on 8th in the last 3-4 weeks and isn’t out of it. Late surge? Too late?

EC games tonight:

DAL at WSH – Doesn’t matter a whit
    BOS at OTT – important Atlantic battle, esp. for BOS
    NYR at TBY – Rags have lost 4 in a row. I hope TBY makes it 5 and gains another game on 8th.

11. admiralmark says:

LT: The GA number is going to require some discussion if it ends up being as low as it appears to be heading. The fun number I am most looking forward to at the end of this season? Final goal differential compared to one year ago.
    2015-16 (McDavids rookie season): -43 goal differential
    2016-17: +17 goal differential (so far)
    Projected 2016-17: (+22)

Pittsburgh Crosby Rookie Season 2005-2006: -72 Goal differential
    Pittsburgh 2006-2007(Malkins Rookie Season): +31 Goal Differential.
    2008-2009: Crosby 4th year wins 1st Stanley Cup .

McDavids 4th year= 2018-2019 Stanley Cup?

Dare to dream.

12. nvan97 says:

dustrock:

That being said, it’s 1 game and we’ll see how he plays during the stretch.

Burrows had what, 2 goals in his first game for the Sens?Doesn’t mean the extension was a good idea.

In ’93 my brother, dad and me did a playoff draft but didn’t do it until a day after the playoffs started. On day 1 Brian Noonan scored a hattrick for the Blackhawks and my brother drafted him with his 2nd round pick. Chicago was swept by the Blues that first round and Noonan didn’t score another point.
    That taught me as an 8 year old to always temper expectations.

13. Genjutsu says:

Fun times ahead and kind of funny how quickly the Pacific has suddenly become the second best division in the NHL. A very real chance there is 5 Pacific teams in the playoffs this year and I don’t see that changing for the foreseeable future.

The battle of Alberta seems destined to be relevant and must see TV playoff hockey again.

This is the spring: a glorious summer awaits.

14. rickithebear says:

If we look at last 33 Gm’s of EDM and Calgary
    Looking at Playoff completed Games Won won 5×5.

EDM

GM 45-55 2RW – 6RL – 3OT
    2RW – 2OTW – 0SOW – 6RL – 0 OTL – 1 SOL
    GM 34-44 7RW – 4RL – 0 OT
    7RW – 0 OTW – 0 SOW – 4RL – 0 OTL – 0 SOL

CGY last 9 gm
    5RW – 0 RL – 4 OT

No OT 3×3 and SO in playoffs!

15. N64 says:

LAK-2
    WPG-5
    VAN-7
    DAL-8
    ARI-17
    COL-32

EDM now two games up on ANA after Stephen King’s improbable 43 save performance for VAN last night.Go VAN!!

Is it possible to look bad when winning 3-0?I didn’t watch the game, but that is what I heard about STL-COL last night.

CGY continues their torrid pace with a 1070 PDO (11.22 SH%.9573 SV%) over the last 9 games.That will come back to reality, but no one knows when.

STL-LAK fight for the final spot has all the hallmarks of snail race.

WC games tonight:

DAL at WSH – makes no difference to anyone

Pacific 4th Seed = CGY | ANA +1 EDM +3

Central 4th Seed = STL | LAK -2 WPG -5

16. russ99 says:

I don’t see a way for Pouliot back on the pro roster next year.

He’s a MacT player and has been in the Chiarelli/McLellan doghouse constantly, with word that they tried to move him this season with no takers.

If they can’t find a taker or find a buyout too onerous, he’ll be buried in the AHL.

Since we need to trim cap to afford Leon and Connor’s new contracts, Fayne and Pouliot will go for sure, and one of Ebs or RNH are also likely to be moved.

17. Clay says:

Ideally, the Oilers finish second and host Anaheim, while the Godless fLames finish one point out of a playoff spot so they get no playoffs and a bad draft pick.

Ideally…

18. megahurts says:

Yes, but it could be said the Oilers have the NHL’s Anton Lander.

19. flea says:

Kepler62:

I’d take it either way. What a gift for the struggling bars/restaurants of Alberta and the province as a whole.

It’s meant to be.

20. Diablo says:

1.3 million to buyout Pouliot in the summer (x 4 years). I could see it happening – 2.7 million could land you a good vet looking for a Stanley Cup ride.

I guess we’ll see – Pouliot will get another chance to show good before this season is over. If he fails then he’s gone one way or another. Chia’s been getting rid of Lowe/MacT players since he got here.

21. remlap says:

As a die-hard Oilers fan living in Calgary, the thought of an EDM-CGY first round series makes me equal parts excited and terrified.

22. JDï™ says:

Has Dr Rudy Wells been spotted in Edmonton recently?

23. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Still don’t believe me about Ottawa getting in? Good goalering. Its a thing. It’s amazing how many sins a good goalie can cover up.

24. John Chambers says:

Thing to remember about Puljujarvi vs Rantanen is that Mikko is born October ’96, while JP is May of ’98.

That our boy is a full 7 months younger (at this stage) suggests he’s likely outpacing Rantanen.

25. leadfarmer says:

I wasn’t worried about Desharnais against the east especially a team that sold at the deadline. I’m curious how he and Caggula do against the big California teams.

26. nvan97 says:

I’ve watched that McDavid goal against Detroit about 20 times and I still can’t get over the fact that Oulette has the angle and space and still McDavid skates around him like he’s a coach working on drills with his players. I am constantly reminding myself to not take it for granted that we are watching the emergence of a true star. I never want to miss out on the magic that is unfolding because these plays become commonplace. As a child I never got tired of watching Bure and McDavid is just that much better.

27. slopitch says:

Given that the Oilers went 4-0 vs Calgary this year you’d think the Flames would be a favorable (and fun!) playoff match. The Flames are an odd team. There record suggests a good team but their goal diff (-3) and recent PDO run suggest a team that is currently smoke and mirrors. That said, anyone who watched Brian Elliot the first 3 months would say he cant stop a beach ball. With good goaltending all year they’d be better. They are still in the bottom third of the team in save % and Gaudreau wasnt himself offensively. Both him and Monahan are still in the bottom 20% of the league in on ice shooting %. Their recent PDO run is more of a regression to the norm. So I think it would be a good series. And losing to them would be painful. Still though… bring it. Cant be scared to lose if you think you have a chance to win. Plus, McDavid in the playoffs is gonna be a real treat.

28. John Chambers says:

Woodguy v2.0,

If Wpg beats SJ (who played last night and lost) it narrows the gap for both teams. The Sharks can still be caught if they sputter with the Oilers being at home to weaker opponents, while the Jets are catching two falling teams in STL and LA.

But if SJ wins tonight then like you say it’ll seem afterwards like a pretty meaningless game.

29. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

leadfarmer:
    I wasn’t worried about Desharnais against the east especially a team that sold at the deadline.I’m curious how he and Caggula do against the big California teams.

They will do well if they can push the pace. They will do poorly if the game is played in the corners.

flea: I think LT was just saying he doesn’t want Calgary to get the second seed and the series to start in Calgary.

It’s meant to be.

Agreed. Plus Edmonton’s road record is 19-12-5.

What I find funny is that I’m seeing lots of Oilers fans (Parkatti in particular) arguing that we should be saving the Battle of Alberta for the second round. We’ve been out of the playoffs for a decade!

Best stat I’ve seen in a while:

Oilers fans graduating from High School this summer were in Grade 1 the last time the team made the playoffs.

30. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

slopitch,

Brian Elliot this year looks a lot like Cam Talbot last year.

31. Diablo says:

John Chambers:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Laine is a terrifying weapon out there right now – I think the Jets have a fighting chance tonight.

32. Woogie63 says:

How will next year’s team improve?

1) Adds from the AHL
    Puljarjavi and Reinhart

2) Growth from current players
    McDavid, Draisaitl, Caggiula, Kahaira, Slepyshev, Pitlick, Klefblom, Larsson, Benning, Nurse, LB

3) Return to normal numbers
    Hopkins, Eberle, Lucic

This means 16/20 players should improve next year- definition of a growth team.

33. Yeti says:

Woogie63: This means 16/20 players should improve next year- definition of a growth team.

I really, really hope you’re right! But maybe that’s a touch optimistic?

34. treevojo says:

russ99:
    I don’t see a way for Pouliot back on the pro roster next year.

Since we need to trim cap to afford Leon and Connor’s new contracts, Fayne and Pouliot will go for sure, and one of Ebs or RNHare also likely to be moved.

I think players like Pouliot are going to end up in Vegas.

NHL capable players with negative value because of their contracts.

Vegas is going to need assets like draft picks and players on entry level contracts that can’t be taken from them.

There are teams desperate for cap space and Vegas has it in spades.

Examples

Edmonton

Pouliot + 2018 2nd rd + Marino

LA

Brown + 2017 1st rd + 2018 1st rd

Phi

McDonald +20181st rd + 2019 2nd

35. Woodguy v2.0 says:

leadfarmer:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Still don’t believe me about Ottawa getting in?Good goalering.Its a thing.It’s amazing how many sins a good goalie can cover up.

I don’t recall specifically discussing it with you but I have spouted off about OTT from time to time.

I have stated on this blog that they play a shitty trappy system and weren’t even riding a high PDO.

I agree that goalies cover up a multitude of sins and Anderson is very good again this year.

When I look closer at it the reason they weren’t riding a high overall PDO is because of how bad Condon has been compared to Anderson and it dropped their overall SV% to 11th (one ahead of EDM) with a .9142

All situations:
    Anderson .9300
    Condon .9105

36. Scungilli says:

John Chambers:

Actually a year and seven months. He’s crushing Rantanen.

37. John Chambers says:

treevojo,

Great examples.

Chia perhaps kept his powder dry at the deadline, preferring to use his draft assets to shed players rather than add them.

Not only would we free up $4M, but we keep Maroon, Reinhart, Kassian, and Letestu on the roster next season.

38. John Chambers says:

Scungilli,

Right, but Rantanen was in the AHL last year while JPs there now – both in their draft +1 years.

Hence JP is 7 months younger while conquering the ‘A’.

39. dustrock says:

nvan97:

He doesn’t slow down when he cuts in. I would think 99% of skaters would. He just keeps going.

He also judged the angle amazingly to slide the puck in. That was a fantastic goal.

40. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Diablo: Agree with this – WPG-SJ is a big game – Jets win this and their playoff dream stays alive + they help us narrow the gap with SJ as long as our boys go out and win tonight.

You had mentioned yesterday that WPG needs a goalie more than LD.

I submit that Hellebuyck showed last year he *might* be that goalie, but certainly has slipped this year.

Last year Hellebuyck was +0.203 in GSAA/60 (all situations) which ranked him 12th of the 57 goalies who played at least 1000 minutes last year

This year he’s put up a -0.127 which ranks him 36/55 among goalies who have played at least 750 min.

His backup, Hutchinson is 55/55 with a -0.675

So given that he slipped this year you cannot say Hellebuyck “solved” WPG’s goalie situation, but he has shown he might be capable.

I’d grab a high end back up for him if I ran WPG for next year, but they seem to like to move in small increments and half measures.

Their results aren’t much better now than when they were Atlanta really.

They’ve been there since the 2011/12 season, so in 6 seasons they made the playoffs once and got swept.

In the previous 6 seasons as ATL they made the playoffs once and were swept.

Somehow Chevy has a job still.

41. Glass says:

I kind of wonder if JP would be doing better if he was sent to the AHL before the 10 game mark. Because by the time he was sent down, it seemed like he was lost out there, lacking confidence, and couldn’t get going because of lack of playing time but still on the roster.

A similar thing happened to Nurse. He was thrown in the deep end with Sekera, but that was due to necessity. He did good at first, and eventually was overwhelmed, understandably so. I think it happened to Draisaitl too, but also out of necessity.

Makes me think that throwing these guys in the deep end is a way of giving them humility? Like, “hey, you have a lot of work to do, get after it in the AHL.” Which works because they were high draft picks, maybe have a higher ego, and think they are better than they really are?

42. Scungilli says:

The word we had about JP, I believe largely from Swedish, is that he wasn’t as physically mature as Laine so not as NHL ready. But over time the question of who’s better would be harder to answer.

I wonder if his style will mesh with McDavid. I have the impression JP likes to carry the puck, but so does CMD. Often that doesn’t work out. But then Kurri played to Gretzky’s game and when Gretzky was gone he had no trouble stepping up, and that wasn’t considered a given at the time – it was very hard to see a player’s true talent if they played with Gretzky. Fire hydrant and that.

43. Chachi says:

Woodguy v2.0: Somehow Chevy has a job still.

I assume he works for dented tins of spam and a 15% discount on the office coffee club.

44. russ99 says:

Glass:

That is a really, really good point.

I’d guess the delay with Puljujarvi was that he was doing what McLellan asked in regard to board play, the cycle and defensive effort, it’s just that the scoring wasn’t there.

Would have preferred that we didn’t burn an ELC year to do that.

45. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

“What to expect from February” – LT I think February is in the books. This be March.

Calgary has a .650 pace in the past 50 games.
    Edmonton has a .590 pace all year.

IF, and that is a big IF, that continues, Edmonton winds up with 98 points and the gordless ones down the QE2 finish with 97. They hold the tiebreaker in ROW (counting 3-on-3 wins as the same value as a regulation win is stupid, iMO– if they are going to do that they should at least make it Regulation wins as the tiebreaker–dumb NHL) at this stage so we need that extra point.

46. russ99 says:

treevojo: I think players like Pouliot are going to end up in Vegas.

NHL capable players with negative value because of their contracts.

There are teams desperate for cap space and Vegas has it in spades.

Examples

Edmonton

Pouliot + 2018 2nd rd + Marino

LA

Brown + 2017 1st rd + 2018 1st rd

Phi

McDonald +20181st rd + 2019 2nd

47. Woodguy v2.0 says:

N64: Pacific 4th Seed = CGY|ANA +1 EDM +3

Central 4th Seed = STL|LAK -2 WPG -5

48. dustrock says:

russ99: That is a really, really good point.

Would have preferred that we didn’t burn an ELC year to do that.

Given he was sent down immediately after the ELC was burned, never to return (to date), I think the assumption that he was guaranteed NHL minutes until the ELC was burnt to come over from Finland a logical one.

49. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Whoever their amateur scouts are is why he still has a job. If not for being one of the best if not the best drafting team the last 5 years or so he would be screwed. Their d situation is really shaky playing a forward as a defenseman 25 min a night and Myers being out with whatever the hell he’s out with now. Pitlickitis I guess. And don’t know if Trouba is any happier being there now than he was half a year ago (he leaves they are screwed). That forward corps is a thing of beauty though and they’re going through the growing pains with Helleybuck.

50. Scungilli says:

John Chambers:
    Scungilli,

Hence JP is 7 months younger while conquering the ‘A’.

Right, I have a cold addled head, didn’t take that one far enough.

51. treevojo says:

russ99: Going to be really interesting to see what amount/quality of assets that McPhee will need to come off his stated desire not to take bad contracts from other teams in the expansion draft and also his disdain for smaller, less physical players.

Ya I think that he put that out there on purpose.

Misdirection

I think he will put together a team of decent players on unwanted contracts until his draft picks and prospects are ready to take over.

Kinda like this

52. N64 says:

Woodguy v2.0: since the wildcard spots are not division dependant, I’m not sure what you are getting at here.

Same Woodguy numbers. Just a focus on who has the 4th seeds right now. And which teams are trying to avoid Pacific 4th seed. And which are trying to get Central 4th seed.

53. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Might be a good year to be a good backup goalie next year. The expansion draft is going to send some teams scrambling for a good backup. Curious to see what happens to Bishop who has cost himself millions this year same as Elliott. Is this the year that Ward is finally bought out? I think we will see an interesting year ahead of us.

54. Kepler62 says:

russ99: That is a really, really good point.

Would have preferred that we didn’t burn an ELC year to do that.

They’d still have burned a year of his ELC if he was in the AHL all year – but it wouldn’t have reduced the years he has until UFA. Think that’s what you meant but just clarifying. You burn your ELC in ECHL, AHL, or NHL, but only NHL reduces the RFA years after the ELC.

Like with Drai and Puljujarvi, they will have one less year of RFA than say Griffin Reinhart or Darnell Nurse will in their careers.

McDavid, Hall, Nuge, Yak are like that too – difference is you didn’t send them back at some point so it doesn’t matter as much. There was no reason to keep Drai long enough to burn a year of RFA if they were going to return him to Jr.

55. jake70 says:

dustrock: He doesn’t slow down when he cuts in.I would think 99% of skaters would.He just keeps going.

He also judged the angle amazingly to slide the puck in.That was a fantastic goal.

Right after he scored, my younger brother, big Habs fan (won’t admit but a closet Oiler fan), texts me how he couldn’t believe all the crossovers he was doing and still accelerating…..then funny how Kypreos in the intermission talked aobut that specifically counting every crossover in slow motion. Just a beauty of a goal.

56. bbf_iii says:

Kepler62: They’d still have burned a year of his ELC if he was in the AHL all year – but it wouldn’t have reduced the years he has until UFA.Think that’s what you meant but just clarifying. You burn your ELC in ECHL, AHL, or NHL, but only NHL reduces the RFA years after the ELC.

For 18 and 19 year olds, only games in the NHL count towards burning the first year of the ELC/towards free agency. As such, Rantanen is in the first year of his ELC right now with Colorado and Nylander is in his second with Toronto.

57. N64 says:

A Krush soundbite today from a conversation with the KC Royals Player Personnel Assistant GM highlighted the connection for those of us that have grew up with the Baseball Abstract and Hockey News.

Starting at 39:45

“Of all the sports that exist there are more parallels between hockey and baseball when you’re talking about development and the way our draft process works than any other two sports.”

58. Bag of Pucks says:

Clay:

Ideally…

The caveat of course is that the Oil then HAVE to win that series.

Other than that 86 series (i.e. The Thing That Should Not Be), the bragging rights are solidly in favour of the hometeam.

Btw, ever notice how often Calgary teams choke? It’s like….a lot. That’s a math term btw.

59. Georges says:

Eberle and Nuge have yet to play a playoff game in their 7 and 6-year NHL careers. They should be the most motivated players on the roster heading into the home stretch. We should see good to great things from them.

The Detroit game was an example. Detroit is not a good team, but Lucic-Nuge-Eberle had multiple chances and looked like a line that the other team (rather than our team) has to worry about.

The goal they scored was a beautifully executed 2-on-2 that started in their own zone and that ended with Eberle getting a clear chance and Lucic arriving in the crease for a tap-in option. They carried the puck in against two defenders who were right there and managed to make something out of next to nothing. Just a great teammates working together play.

They had another nice sequence where Nuge chipped, chased, and retrieved, drew two defenders to him, then played the puck down low to an open Eberle. Eberle found Lucic from behind the net in the high danger area. Great entry by Nuge and Eberle, great positioning by Lucic. When CBJ was riding that win streak, I would regularly see this kind of coordinated play from their forwards as they just kept churning out chance after chance.

More plays in the second where the three of them worked really well together to create space and odd-man situations.

As LT has also shown with the numbers, there’s a trend here and this trend is very encouraging.

A few weeks back, I posted that Eberle and Lucic don’t work because they’re not carrying the puck over the line and they’re not good at retrieving the puck if they chip it in. But TMac has stubbornly stuck with them despite not seeing results. I guess, maybe, sometimes, it just takes time for talented players to learn how to play together. Here’s hoping…

60. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

McDavid, Hall, Nuge, Yak are like that too – difference is you didn’t send them back at some point so it doesn’t matter as much.There was no reason to keep Drai long enough to burn a year of RFA if they were going to return him to Jr.

With Drai they burned a year of ELC but not a year of RFA.
    With Pulju they burned both a year of ELC and a year of RFA.

61. striker says:

I’m planning on giving a scotch lover a thank you gift, so I thought I’d turn to the scotch drinkers in LT’s comment section. Can anyone recommend anything in the $250-$350 price range (Alberta prices) that he may appreciate?

62. Ducey says:

Bag of Pucks: Normally I would agree with this, but Cowtown has taken a sh*tkicking with the oil downturn, so I wouldn’t begrudge the city a playoff berth and I would actually love to watch another BoA.

The caveat of course is that the Oil then HAVE to win that series.

The Flames will never have bragging rights. Ever. The Oilers have had many of the best players in NHL history, a dynasty with 5 Cups, now the best player in the NHL, and logo and name that makes sense. They even have synergy with their junior team in terms of branding.

The Flames have 1 Cup, Fing Lanny MacDonald, and maybe the lousiest branding in sport. I mean, the Flames is appropriate for Atlanta, but for goodness sake it has nothing to do with Calgary. Like Burkie and the ties he never learned how to tie, its just stupid.

63. Doug McLachlan says:

The idea that we will be going back to the playoffs is so exciting. Woooot, as they say.

Miles to go still but so, so encouraging to be talking about playoff matchups and post-season line-combinations than 17 year-old kids from Siberia to Saskatchewan.

First game was a nice introduction to DD. As has been speculated, be very curious to see if Pouliot and Puljujarvi can find a home on the third line by April – suspect both can and do.

Maroon – McDavid – Drai
    Looch – Nuge – Ebs
    Pouliot – DD – Puljujarvi
    Hendricks – Letestu – Kharia
    (Caggs – Lander – Slepy) – Black Aces

Klefbom – Larsson
    Sekera – Benning
    Nurse – Gryba
    Russell
    (Reinhart – Fayne) -Black Aces

Talbot
    LB

That may not be a Cup-winning line-up but it doesn’t look like it is automatically swept in a round.

Again, such a pleasant change from a year ago.

64. stephen sheps says:

striker,
    Ardbeg Supernova if you can track it down. It’s a peat-monster, but it dances across the palate like nothing I’ve ever had before or since.

Dalmore 1263 King Alexander III – It’s a highland rather than an Isley, so it’s not a peat monster, but it’s a beautiful dram. I wish it had a higher ABV, but that’s not everyone’s jam. If your friend appreciates quality but doesn’t want peat this is as good a bottle as it gets.

I would also look into limited run and single cask bottles if you can find them. Some stores actually will bring in their own hand-selected barrels of things like Aberlour or Balvenie. If you happen to have a local store that does such a thing, grab one of those… Kensington Wines in Calgary (spits!) is the best place in the province for rare and unique bottles. I’d give them a call if you’re really trying to find something special.

Hope this helps.

65. Woodguy v2.0 says:

leadfarmer:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Might be a good year to be a good backup goalie next year.The expansion draft is going to send some teams scrambling for a good backup.Curious to see what happens to Bishop who has cost himself millions this year same as Elliott.Is this the year that Ward is finally bought out?I think we will see an interesting year ahead of us.

If I were McPhee I’d take the best 5 goalies available and sell them back to teams for forward prospects.

66. leadfarmer says:

Can’t believe someone spent 500 mil to put another hockey team in the desert but Vegas signed their first player today.

67. remlap says:

striker,

stephen sheps,

For other Calgary recommendations.. Willow Park Wine & Spirits. Not sure on their selection of rare bottles, but their customer service can’t be beat. Their location right in Willow Park has a scotch guy who knows his stuff. I spent 20min standing there listening to him wax poetic to a customer about various distilleries. I was just there to get a 6-pack.

68. Woodguy v2.0 says:

striker:

Bunnahabhain 25 year old.

$334 at Liquor Depot.

I’ve seen it for over $400 at specialty liquor stores.

It tastes like angel tears.

69. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Yeah I’m guessing they take a lot more g and d then they need and trade them for forwards and picks.

70. Chachi says:

Woodguy v2.0: Bunnahabhain 25 year old.

$334 at Liquor Depot.

I’ve seen it for over $400 at specialty liquor stores.

It tastes like angel tears.

71. kinger_OIL says:

leadfarmer:

– Great post LT!

– yeah: I don’t get this line of reasoning at all. If Vegas picks up more than 2 G, the rest of them are going back on the wire, because you aren’t going to have 5 of them on your roster.

– Why would teams makes trades for G’s that are going to be waived? You have 0 leverage

– No way they pick up more than 2 (ok maybe 3?): you guys have too much time on your hands!

72. Melman says:

Doug McLachlan,

One item to consider for JP this spring is that if they have any intention of playing him in the playoffs he’ll need to come up about 8-10 games beforehand to catch up to the pace. Playoff hockey> games 72-82> games JP was playing up here. It ramps up. If the Oilers are running smooth they may leave him down for the AHL playoffs if the Condors make it. If they bring him up with 8-10 games to go that will probably sewer the Condors playoff chances which doesn’t make sense unless they think JP will move the needle on the big club.

73. I don't Khaira bout Hall says:

striker,

Bruichladdich 23 Year Old 1990 Black Art

I think its about $250 a bottle and its got a great taste. Admittedly its the only 200$+ bottle ive dipped into. I usually meddle in $80-$130 range.

74. ASkoreyko says:

Woodguy v2.0: Bunnahabhain 25 year old.

$334 at Liquor Depot.

I’ve seen it for over $400 at specialty liquor stores.

It tastes like angel tears.

I would second this recommendation as well.

After having both the 12 and 18 the 25 really does denote a worthwhile upgrade.

Plus the 25 comes in a lovely presentation box and has a flavor profile that I believe most scotch drinkers will agree is simply lovely.

75. Woodguy v2.0 says:

N64: Note “Seeds”. As in playoff seeds. Right now LA is 2 off from getting 4th seed in the Central playoffs.

Ah.

76. smellyglove says:

Way too early to be talking extension for DD. Maybe at $1m a year if he proves himself to be a dependable 4th line pivot.

Agreed, except for the trepidation that I would feel, Edm vs Calgary in the first round would be amazing. The province, even for those godless heathens in Calgary, deserves a bit of sunshine.

77. A'bunadh says:

striker:

I just bought a couple bottles of Ardbeg Dark Cove from the Kensington Wine Market in Calgary. Limited bottling and amazing scotch.

kinger_OIL: – Great post LT!

– yeah: I don’t get this line of reasoning at all.If Vegas picks up more than 2 G, the rest of them are going back on the wire, because you aren’t going to have 5 of them on your roster.

If teams are talking with them, there is a chance a couple of goalies are heading out right away. Two for LV and two for trade seems reasonable, one for the dealer makes five. 🙂

79. russ99 says:

IMO, the balance issues on both sides of the ice tell me that we’re not quite ready for playoff hockey, and winning a series would be a tall order.

That’s why I don’t want a first round series against Calgary.

If we lose to a good team with playoff experience, it’s a learning experience for our players, show them how much work it will take to win in the playoffs. For the fans it will be a positive end to a real turn towards contention.

If we lose to Calgary, it will stick in our craw all summer.

80. jake70 says:

No way I want Calgary facing Edmonton first round. 2nd round ok b/c it would mean Oil got a round in. If it’s first round and Calgary wins… well that just can’t be in the algorithm, just can’t be allowed to be a possibility.

81. leadfarmer says:

kinger_OIL,

Because if they put them on the waiver wire someone else can grab them and if Vegas takes let’s say Darling, Raanta, Reimer, Howard, someone else, they created a big void in the supply chain of goalies and those teams are going to be scrambling to fill that hole. Same thing with defensemen.

82. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0: Bunnahabhain 25 year old.

$334 at Liquor Depot.

I’ve seen it for over $400 at specialty liquor stores.

It tastes like angel tears.

I need to go drinking with you guys.

83. N64 says:

Lowetide: If teams are talking with them, there is a chance a couple of goalies are heading out right away. Two for LV and two for trade seems reasonable, one for the dealer makes five.

The have to take 14F 9D and 3G which leaves 4 to flex. You figure they take 14F and then use the 4 extras on G and D for their trade value. And still pocket some picks for G and D not touched. And some more picks for high cap F taken as part of the don’t pick deals. Somewhere Sammy is spinning in his grave.

84. Todd Macallan says:

In terms of local selection, Chateau Louis is actually fantastic for scotch, despite its outward appearance. Oban Distiller’s Edition can be found there for just under $200, amazing scotch for the price.

85. Chachi says:

Ducey: Don’t start feeling sorry for Calgary. They would be happy to more the Legislature south on a flatbed and turn out the lights on Edmonton in a moments notice.

The Flames will never have bragging rights. Ever. The Oilers have had many of the best players in NHL history, a dynasty with 5 Cups, now the best player in the NHL, and logo and name that makessense. They even have synergy with their junior team in terms of branding.

Slow clap. Well said.

86. Doug McLachlan says:

Melman,

Fair enough.

They would need to feel that he provides more than Kassian (whom I left off my list I realize) but that simply pushes Kassian down to the 4th line.

I don’t know if that is getting to Unicorn territory but it isn’t bad.

87. Bag of Pucks says:

I always feel sorry for Calgary, cos it’s full of Calgarians. Rim shot.

At the game Saturday night, there was actually a Flames fan in our section, wearing his horrendous jersey, chirping anyone who would listen, etc. At an Oilers vs Red Wings game….wtf?

I think my buddy was one beer shy of firing up the lawn mower on him, so when he caught our eye, I gave him the 5>1 gesture. That seemed to simmer him down for a spell.

Still, like Ali vs Foreman. I’d rather play them in the playoffs than not. Measuring stick.

88. Bag of Pucks says:

Btw, am I the only one who thinks ‘Last Spike’ is the perfect title for an Eberle post?

We have been nailing him to the cross all season long.

89. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Chachi: If you had to choose would you rather have one $300 bottle of scotch or 3 $100 bottles?

90. Chachi says:

Woodguy v2.0: If I had $300 to spend on liquor for my own personal consumption I would buy 3 bottle of Writer’s Tears and 2 bottles of Red Breast 12.

Writers Tears is incredibly good.

91. Woodguy v2.0 says:

leadfarmer:
    Woodguy v2.0,

They’ll have more 2nd pairing Dmen than most teams.

They’ll also have serviceable goaltending.

If McPhee doesn’t shit the bed he could have an *almost* competitive team out of the gate if he wants.

I don’t think he should try to be competitive out of the gate, but sell a lot of what he gets in the Ex-Draft for futures and prospects (esp. prospects) if he wants to build a long term winner, but he has different pressures than I do sitting here.

92. JDï™ says:

Chachi: one $300 bottle of scotch or 3 $100 bottles?

I’m feeling out of place for thinking 10 x $30 bottles.

93. Woodguy v2.0 says:

kinger_OIL: – Great post LT!

NHL GMs, especially ones that finish low on the waiver priority list, won’t leave their backup goalie to “chance and the waiver wire in October”

They’ll pay a bit to put it to bed.

Can you imagine the questions at camp?

“Mr. GM who is going to be the back up this year?”

“Oh, we’ll wait for the week before the season starts and pick one off the wire”

Nope.

Don’t see that happening.

94. Woodguy v2.0 says:

leadfarmer:
    kinger_OIL,

Because if they put them on the waiver wire someone else can grab them and if Vegas takes let’s say Darling, Raanta, Reimer, Howard, someone else, they created a big void in the supply chain of goalies and those teams are going to be scrambling to fill that hole.Same thing with defensemen.

that’s a better way of explaining it than my post

95. Chachi says:

JDï™: I’m feeling out of place for thinking 10 x $30 bottles.

I grew up on homemade wine. Paying for booze still causes me pain.

96. Woodguy v2.0 says:

leadfarmer: I need to go drinking with you guys.

Problem is that I’d never pay for a glass of that at the bar.

I drink the cheap stuff out in public.

97. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Chachi: Writers Tears is incredibly good.

Used to be $30/bottle and now its up to $70 in some spots.

Bastards!

98. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Andrée-Anne Barbeau‏
    @AABarbeau

Les duos à l’entraînement des Canadiens:

Markov- Weber
    Davidson- Petry
    Beaulieu- Benn

Emelin- Nesterov (en trop)
    #tvasports

Davey getting his chance at 2nd pair already.

I thought Julien would bring him along a bit slower.

Good for him.

GO DAVEY!!

99. Chachi says:

Woodguy v2.0: Used to be $30/bottle and now its up to $70 in some spots.

Bastards!

Found it for $51 a few weeks ago at a Liquor Depot of all places. They only had one bottle, of course.

100. kinger_OIL says:

Woodguy v2.0,

– Over/under 3.5 goalies that LV picks up on expansion waiver.

– I pick the under (for clarity 3 or less goalers) for a paypal donation to LT.

– If they pick up 4+: I donate, 3 or less you donate. Everyone wins.. I get to be right.. again!

101. JDï™ says:

Chachi: I grew up on homemade wine.

After one spirited meeting with the principal, it was a can of Coke from then on.

102. Pajamah says:

JDï™: A friend of mine came to Canada with his family when he was about seven. On his first day of school, his mom packed him a nice lunch with a small container of red wine, as was normal when they lived in France.

Knowing what we do now about dietary sugar, and type 2 diabetes, I’m thinking schools should start promoting wine as a healthier option for children.

103. Mr. D. says:

And who are Fayne and Pouliot going to without carrying 2/3 of their salary? Do you not think that every team knows they are overpaid underproducers?

russ99:
    I don’t see a way for Pouliot back on the pro roster next year.

104. striker says:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Very helpful information. Cheers

105. stephen sheps says:

Writer’s Tears is so underrated though. Man that’s good whisky.

All this talk has made me almost miss drinking. Despite chiming in on a couple whisky threads recently, I’ve been mostly off the stuff for 2017, save for a couple of beers and one messy night in early January. I’m trying to get back into shape again, even hired a personal trainer through my university, but the best way to shed the pounds (other than regular exercise) is to stay off the sauce.

I really wish I had something to contribute about the Oilers right now, but I’ve got nothing. Once the semester is finished I will actually be writing about hockey for a conference (and longer academic article), but for now, it’s just kinda nice to sit back and enjoy a playoff race without thinking too much about it.

106. OF17 says:

barry.moore23:
    Off topic alert.

Very nice to hear. I saw something similar happen in Nashville. Was watching the game behind the Oilers’ bench, and there was a young family in the seats in front of me (Oilers fans). Returned from an intermission bathroom break to the boy, maybe 6, with a huge smile on his face. “Can you BELIEVE that PATRICK MAROON gave me a puck???” He spent the rest of the game trying to get as close to the bench as possible while waving at Maroon and showing him the puck again. Really nice to see, and I’m glad that kind of thing seems to be a trend with this team.

107. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Oiler CF% from Feb 1 to today: (minimum 5 games played)

Player CF%

BRANDON.DAVIDSON 49.0
    MATT.BENNING 48.8
    ANDREJ.SEKERA 48.1
    KRIS.RUSSELL 47.7

108. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Oiler GF% from Feb 1 – today

I know this is a very small sample and randomness reins but we know they look at this:

Player GF%

KRIS.RUSSELL 62.2
    BRANDON.DAVIDSON 42.8
    MATT.BENNING 39.5
    ANDREJ.SEKERA 20.1

109. JDï™ says:

Pajamah,

Well that might be a little too drastic for most folks to even consider.

It should be noted that his parents would add some sugar to the wine, although not nearly as much as a can of soda contains.

110. Woodguy v2.0 says:

kinger_OIL:
    Woodguy v2.0,

– Over/under 3.5 goalies that LV picks up on expansion waiver.

– I pick the under (for clarity 3 or less goalers) for a paypal donation to LT.

– If they pick up 4+: I donate, 3 or less you donate.Everyone wins.. I get to be right.. again!

I don’t think McPhee picks 4.

I stated what I would do.

111. Woodguy v2.0 says:

stephen sheps: For me it would be a bottle of George T Stagg bourbon and 2 bottles of red breast 12… sadly the price has gone up like crazy in Onterrible.

Writer’s Tears is so underrated though. Man that’s good whisky.

All good to have you chime in.

Not having anything to contribute has never stopped me, it shouldn’t stop you.

112. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0: Problem is that I’d never pay for a glass of that at the bar.

I drink the cheap stuff out in public.

That’s ok. we will come over and drink at your house then. I’m guessing it’s the one with all our pitchforks still in the front yard.

113. Rondo says:

With Talbot playing 90% of the games and a unproven backup goalie this seems like a recipe for disaster in the playoffs. No ?

114. Chachi says:

You can buy wine in juice boxes now in Europe. That would have solved the problem.

115. Scungilli says:

Hilarious and true!

Calgary

Saddle Rashes
    Ugly Sisters
    Not the Capitals
    Shadow Dwellers

I think I should stop now

116. treevojo says:

Rondo:
    With Talbot playing 90% of the gamesand a unproven backup goalie this seems like a recipe for disaster in the playoffs.No ?

Why?

It’s not like #1 goalies ever get hurt in the playoffs.

117. Pouzar says:

How many Lucky Lager can I get for that?

118. JDï™ says:

treevojo,

Let’s hope TMc doesn’t want to keep his third string goalie ‘fresh’, by rotating him in as backup.

119. JDï™ says:

Pouzar: can I get for that

Not enough?

But hey, at least the insulin is free!

120. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Andrée-Anne Barbeau‏
    @AABarbeau

Les duos à l’entraînement des Canadiens:

Markov- Weber
    Davidson- Petry
    Beaulieu- Benn

Emelin- Nesterov (en trop)
    #tvasports

Davey getting his chance at 2nd pair already.

I thought Julien would bring him along a bit slower.

Good for him.

GO DAVEY!!

I am a heartless bastard when it comes to former Oilers.
    I will always cheer for this guy.

121. spoiler says:

Woodguy v2.0: Andrée-Anne Barbeau‏
    @AABarbeau

Any relation?

*crosses fingers*

122. JDï™ says:

spoiler,

AA? Not a chance. More like DD.

123. "Steve Smith" says:

treevojo,

Too soon.

It will forever be too soon.

124. spoiler says:

JDï™,

I just Googley-eyed her. Definite possibility.

125. spoiler says:

“Steve Smith”,

Speaking of “Cups”. I think maybe when we add one, it will not longer be too soon.

I hope.

126. McSorley33 says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Their results aren’t much better now than when they were Atlanta really.
    In the previous 6 seasons as ATL they made the playoffs once and were swept.
    Somehow Chevy has a job still.
    **************************************************************************
    Great post….fans are boiling.

The local media has done a tremendous job supporting Chevy. Literally.

However, the worm is turning on that front as well.

Mr. Lawless: ” I have stopped drinking management’s Kool Aid.”

Barring a miracle run – it likely stops with San Jose and Pit. – Chevy’s seat will get warm this summer.

However, there is always the possibility Chevy unloads Mr. Trouba for a King’s ransom this summer.
    ( That contract was signed for one reason only )

Rest assured, next October and November will be a critical time for Chevy.

127. jm363561 says:

Calgary in the play offs is the kind of series you live for as a hockey fan. Absolutely devastating if you lose of course, but if you win ……………… Bring it on baby.

treevojo: Why?

It’s not like #1 goalies ever get hurt in the playoffs.

Oh, Treevojo (runs from room in tears).

129. OilHub says:

Hey LT, love the community! Thanks so much.
    In this blog you say “That said, we can be sure Lander is zooming the boxcars like a demon, so probably best to temper our expectations in the comparisons to Pastrnak.”
    If we think Lander zooms PJ’s stats in the AHL wouldn’t it be safe to see similar stats if he is on 97’s wing?
    Thanks

130. Dennis King says:

Scungilli,

I think the idea that that 98 Does like to carry the puck is why him and 97 Should work ie teams line up their plan so McDavid can seldom carry through the N zone and 29 works so well with him bcos he can also be a transporter. So, 98 could fill that role next year.

The thing I am looking for is where he can shoot from on the ice and how quick he gets off his shot. A guy like Paajarvi, he seldom shot from the middle of the ice and once I saw that for a few games, I was worried