THE BENOIT POULIOT MARCHING AND CHOWDER SOCIETY

Vin Scully taught me about marching and chowder societies. There was no google in 1975, and the library didn’t have a Vin Scully section (fools), so I was forced to learn Vin’s phrases and then, later, learn their meaning. That is, I think, part of Scully’s genius. He informs you about life between the pitches, and carries you away with either his tangents or his game call, and lets you make the call depending on your mind at the time. It is an incredible gift, delivered by Vin in gorgeous and conversational tone.

• Is he getting old?
  • Is he hurt?
  • Is he playing a different, lesser role?
  • Is his conditioning poor?

In the case of Pouliot this season, my guess is points 2, 3 and 4 are all in play. I don’t pretend to know any inside information, but mister can you tell me what’s been wrong with him these weeks? Does this malady normally take this long?

Benoit Pouliot is mocked by many, but not by me. Consider this item:

• McDavid with Pouliot: Corsi for 5×5 (53.4) and 5×5/60 (3.22)
  • McDavid w/o Pouliot: Corsi for 5×5 (52.7) and 5×5/60 (2.64)
  • Pouliot with McDavid: Corsi for 5×5 (53.4) and 5×5/60 (2.82)
  • Pouliot w/o  McDavid: Corsi for 5×5 (49.6) and 5×5/60 (1.32)

That is mostly from year one, but you can see there is some chem showing. Benoit Pouliot is having a poor year and yes he has taken some poor penalties in the offensive zone, but can we just pause for one moment and put down the mob mentality and stare at those numbers? May I ask you this: Would BP and David Desharnais make a nice combination for Jesse Puljujarvi when he returns. I think a veteran L and C might be exactly what the doctor ordered.

POULIOT 16-17 (15-16)

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.98 (2.05)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 0.00 (3.75)
  • Corsi for % 5×5: 49.2 (51.0)
  • Corsi Rel: -0.7 (7.9)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 55/9.1 (109/12.8)
  • Boxcars: 51gp, 5-5-10 (55, 14-22-36)

Pouliot is slated to make $4 million for the next two seasons after this one, and a good guess would have him at Oilers training camp this fall. You will read and hear a lot of negative about that idea across the universe, but not here, not from this blog’s author.

Here at Lowetide, we believe. The Benoit Pouliot marching and chowder society invite you to pull up a chair. We are just getting started.

104 Responses to "THE BENOIT POULIOT MARCHING AND CHOWDER SOCIETY"

1. Ben Oost says:

Is it bad that my blood starts to boil simply seeing Pouliot sitting in the penalty box?

2. Professor Q says:

Ben Oost:
    Is it bad that my blood starts to boil simply seeing Pouliot sittingin the penalty box?

You should absolutely see a physician regarding this condition. It might be too much to Nurse on your own.

3. flyfish1168 says:

Ben Oost:

4. Centre of attention says:

Its funny because Pouliots penalty differential isn’t as bad as Lucic / Kassian / Maroon’s I don’t think.

Poo took some dumb penalties in his time, but he also drew quite a few. This season was obviously an exception, as he hasn’t played enough to draw some penalties back. It seemed he was never given the benefit of the doubt, and the coach chopped his minutes instantly where as other guys keep on getting leash.

Anyways, its pretty obvious by now I consider myself a member of the BP Marching & Chowder society.

Really excited to see him back on the penalty kill, one of his most underrated tools is his ability to delay opposition progress with his big reach and great skating. I was tweeting at LT all morning about the benefits of Benoit! 🙂

5. REDRIGGER says:

I would have to agree, BP will be here in the fall(4 mill ;), but that is not a bad thing. I dont believe i will ever feel his contract is of good value, however he will invaluable if he can return to form come playoffs.

He can skate, arguably is the best forchecker on the team, has a history of decent-good offense and is a veteran.

I’ll take the odd bad penalty

I hope he can return to form…….soon.

P.S.

I hear he is close to returning, has anything been said as to how close he is?

6. Chachi says:

Valentin Zykov scored his first NHL goal tonight. Oh how the Oilers could use such a player! Trading that pick really set back the Oilers’s prospect depth, maybe until the end of time! Something something Tyler Benson, Steve Yzerman hallelujah Barzal Barzal Barzal.

7. Centre of attention says:

REDRIGGER,

He is expected to be in Tomorrows line up, via the Oilers website as well as their radio network.

8. spoiler says:

Don’t know if Vin was consistent on his word order but the phrase is usually expressed “Chowder and Marching Society”.

9. classict says:

Centre of attention,

From WG’s post from this morning he’s had the worst differential on the team this year, but it’s about the same as Kassian.

Last year I think he pretty much broke even. His penalty taking isn’t as big a deal as I think it’s made out to be.

Chachi:

//I am a member in good standing of the Benoit Pouliot marching and chowder society. Oh sure, I can admit he has had a weird and unproductive season, but for me there is still a player there. When a hockey player takes a step back in his career, there is a checklist I use to figure out the problem:
    Is he getting old?
    Is he hurt?
    Is he playing a different, lesser role?
    Is his conditioning poor?//

Is it the coach?

And the correct answer is…#ThoroughlyMediocreCoach

The list of players that he cannot get career average performances out of is getting quite long.

spoiler:

13. Chachi says:

Lowetide: Oilers received Anton Slepyshev, Kyle Platzer, Bogdan Yakimov Aidan Muir and Jackson Houck for him. Zykov had 30 points in 55 AHL games this season, Slepyshev had 10 points in nine games, same league.

14. treevojo says:

Chachi:

Pfffffffft

I would have drafted pesce in that spot.

Been saying it all along we needed rhd specifically.

Incompetent idiots.

Chachi: If the last line of my post didn’t indicate I was not serious I should probably quit for the night.

Well,my reading comprehension and aptitude may need an upgrade as well. 🙂

16. treevojo says:

Lol.

I got what you were laying down!

17. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

You want to know why Pouliot bounced around the League, Minny, Montreal, Boston, New York, it is because this is who he is. A good player who always finds his way to offensive zone penalties and in the dog house with fans and coaches.

We knew this before he came here. And so the sticker price of 5 years and $4m was shocking. I was expecting 3 x $3m. The contract was 2 years too long and $1m per too many the day it was signed. Alas, that was the price the Oilers had to pay to get free agents to come. Reports were another team bid just as much, but I am guessing that team was equally lost, like Toronto.

All of this, including the hand-wringing now, was written in the stars. I stand by Benoit Pouliot because I knew his destiny when he joined Edmonton and I wished him well despite knowing how it would go for him.

We hoped for the best but it turned out like always. I always stand by the theory that you cannot blame a player for his contract and you cannot expect a leopard to change his spots.

18. JDï™ says:

Is he getting old?
    Is he hurt?
    Is he playing a different, lesser role?
    Is his conditioning poor?

I would add:

Is Dallas Eakins his coach?

@Chach:

Barzal Barzal

Barzal Barzal

Barzal Barzal

Barzal Baaaaaar

Aaaarrrr Alzaaaaaal.

19. McJeetz says:

POULIOT DEHSARNAIS LANDER is a 3rd line that would be pretty hard to defend against. also strong on the dot and would give our PK a much needed shot in the arm.

Leaves lots of quality players to piece a decent 4th line together as well

20. Chachi says:

Lowetide: Well,my reading comprehension and aptitude may need an upgrade as well. 🙂

No worries, if I was serious your post would have straightened me right out.

21. Chachi says:

treevojo: Lol.

I got what you were laying down!

Glad you are hip to my jive.

22. Chachi says:

JDï™: I would add:

Is Dallas Eakins his coach?

@Chach:

Barzal Barzal

Barzal Barzal

Barzal Barzal

Barzal Baaaaaar

Aaaarrrr Alzaaaaaal.

Needs more Barzal.

23. Centre of attention says:

Chachi,

I knew where you were going with that one as well.

By the way, I don’t think I’ve ever officially apologized for yellin’ at ya that one afternoon.

Sincerely, I’m sorry. I actually enjoy the majority of your posts and I hope there’s no hard feelings!

Cheers.

24. Chachi says:

Centre of attention:
    Chachi,

I knew where you were going with that one as well.

Cheers.

I am sure I had it coming no apologies necessary. I certainly have no hard feelings towards you and I enjoy your posts and debating things with you. Brad Marchand thinks you are swell too!

25. Centre of attention says:

Chachi,

Marchand is a helluva player.

26. JDï™ says:

Centre of attention:
    Chachi,

Marchand is a helluva player.

Four points behind McDavid.

27. Ryan says:

Chachi: Glad you are hip to my jive.

Swizzle inn swagger out.

28. Pescador says:

Chachi: Needs more Barzal.

Better cut it out before Lowetide Barzal

29. Pouzar says:

I am out on TMc. Seriously. Pakarinen and Hendricks are not the answer. I would take those grey jerseys as line 4 any day.

30. Little Poteet says:

LT
    There are some great phrases in that Vinn Scully link. I think my favorite was “see with their hearts” as in the fans cheer lots for a routine fly-out or boo an ump for a good call.
    I think it’s fair to say that, as people, we tend to see things with our hearts an awful lot. Blue collar role players becoming fan favorites in this town is certainly a result of that. Loving players despite their warts is a fun part of being a fan.
    I am thankful for this slice of Internet where reasonable is regularly discussed alongside seeing with the heart. I think it’s important to include both, lest reason turn to cynicism.

31. Centre of attention says:

With all the Barzal talk, here’s a hot take:

I think the Oilers scouts had it right with Eriksson Ek as their preferred choice.

I just think his game will translate better to the NHL. I definitely had more than a few “saw him good” moments during his brief NHL stint. Definitely a more rounded player with a bit of a 200 foot reputation, while still being a stone cold killer in the offensive zone. Music to my ears.

All this being said, I think Barzal is a fantastic offensive talent. He’ll definitely score some points in pro if his Junior numbers are any indication but I think Erksson Ek has more ways to make it as an NHL regular.

Just my opinion.

32. sliderule says:

I have been thinking about that trading down strategy.

This is especially true with forwards.

Very rare to get an impact forward after second round

Lots of good defenders are there.

The oilers picking mostly defence in 2015 shows they may know that.

33. Pescador says:

flyfish1168: I was at that point with him also. Offensive zone penalties often gets you in the dog house with the coach. He never got out of it. It maybe time for him to move on if he can’t curtail this and win the coaches confidence back along with his own.

Lack of production was not helping things. I like Benoit next season if he isn’t flushed I would run
    Pou. New Guy. Sleppy.
    Cags. Tube. Kassian/ Khaira.
    I have LV taking Reinhart.

34. GMB3 says:

I know y’all aren’t gonna agree but here’s my 0.02$.

I think Benoit Pouilot would be a great forward and would have had a much better career to this point if the guy had a consistent pulse. You see him forecheck like a dawg some nights and then he’s pretty much invisible the next. He has a great shot, good hands, and skates like the wind, yet isn’t a consistent point producer or impact player.

I know this blog doesn’t put much emphasis on heart.. but the desire to win and be the best hockey player you can be, is a thing. Realistically not everyone has the compete level

35. npanciroli says:

Pouzar,

Im basically in the same boat. I think a better coach makes this team way better.

36. JDï™ says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    Fuck the Flames.

Natch.

37. Scungilli says:

godot10:
    Is he getting old?
    Is he hurt?
    Is he playing a different, lesser role?
    Is his conditioning poor?//

Is it the coach?

And the correct answer is…#ThoroughlyMediocreCoach

Your opinion is valid. But you have to back it up. WHY?

38. "Steve Smith" says:

spoiler:

3,950 Google hits for “marching and chowder”, 3,220 for “chowder and marching”.

39. Chachi says:

Scungilli: Your opinion is valid. But you have to back it up. WHY?

#ThoroughlyMediocrePost

40. JDï™ says:

Chachi: #ThoroughlyMediocrePost

Aren’t you jumping the Shark with that comment?

41. Chachi says:

JDï™: Aren’t you jumping the Shark with that comment?

#ThoroughlyMediocreEpisodeofHappyDays

42. Ryan says:

GMB3:
    I know y’all aren’t gonna agree but here’s my 0.02$.

Heart? What part of “math blog” did you not understand? 🙂

43. Jaxon says:

YES! Yes, and yes! I’ve always loved the idea of BP, McDavid and Puljujarvi once Puljujarvi is ready. I like the speed and I think BP’s speed and style are the best match on the left side. BP & JP are both fast and they both have a quick release. BP also has a similar quick touch, shovel forward passing style to McDavid. He has enough size and grit to give McDavid and PJ some room. He is also defensively responsible. JP is also a fast skater who is defensively responsible. BP’s numbers with McDavid are excellent and it would allow Maroon and Lucic to boost other lines with Draisaitl. I think JP’s numbers/60 with McDavid are pretty good too (if I remember correctly).

1st: Pouliot / McDavid / Puljujarvi

Woe to you, oh Central and Sea
    For the Oilers send the beast with wrath
    Because he knows the time is short
    Let him who hath understanding
    Reckon the number of the beast
    For it is a human number
    Its number is nine tens and seven…

45. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

JDï™: Natch.

What in the eff is going on down in Cowtown.

46. JDï™ says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: What in the eff is going on down in Cowtown.

Sacrificial ceremonies, voodoo, black magic – I don’t know. As a citizen of the city, I can assure you that I’m not benefiting from whatever is going on.

47. StixMalone says:

Oh shit the Flamers are up 4-0 after 2. That damn team needs to be brought back down to earth soon…..

48. russ99 says:

This is a tough league, we can’t expect help, we need to take our playoff spot ourselves.

49. russ99 says:

Jaxon:

1st: Pouliot / McDavid / Puljujarvi
    2nd: Maroon / Draisaitl / Eberle
    3rd: Lucic / Nugent-Hopkins / Kassian
    4th: Slepyshev / Letestu / Pakarinen
    PB: Hendricks / Lander

1st: Klefbom / Larsson
    2nd: Sekera / Benning
    3rd: Nurse / Russell
    PB: Gryba

Talbot
    Broissot

Great, that’s no scoring lines.

So tired of Pouliot fans putting him with McDavid, he’s done nothing to deserve that spot.

And frankly I’d rather see Caggiula with Desharnais and Kassian the rest of the way. That line has chemistry and will put up points.

50. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Vin always expressed it as I wrote it, and was quoted in the article. Interesting that the actual name is the opposite. I wonder if he did it for cadence.

I thought the difference was interesting too. I wondered if he did it maybe to avoid offending any actual society, or so there wouldn’t be any confusion with the real thing. But then my take on actual C&MSs is about the same as Scully’s satirical one, so probably not.

51. Dicky94 says:

Wonder if Chia isn’t kicking himself right now for not tweaking just a little bit more at the deadline. Although, maybe the wild card spot is a better place to be. Man, I would not want to play Calgary in the first round right now.

52. spoiler says:

JDï™,

Despite the superbness of the streak, the local yokels seem more cautious in their gloating this time round. It’s like the start of the first serious relationship after they got dumped by their high school sweetheart. Red hot Flames and burn victims. Makes sense to me.

53. Crazy Pedestrian says:

StixMalone:

It makes me urk knowing just 3 weeks ago the flames were 10 points below us, and will now be tied with us with 3 more ROW because of their OT wins… 8 game win streak… I call shinanigans!!!
    And I bet Montreal will be fuming mad and turn it around and take it out on us in their next game, just like I correctly predicted the Isles would… Maybe we can pull off an upset tomorrow against the Penguins… if we don’t, we will drop to a wildcard spot… sigh…

54. treevojo says:

This growing fear of calgary around here seems really weird to me.

I guess I am alone.

But there isn’t another playoff bound team in the western conference that I would rather the Oilers play.

I would be more confident going into that series then any other.

We match up great with them.

Fuck the flame fear.

55. spoiler says:

JDï™:
    Woe to you, oh Central and Sea
    For the Oilers send the beast with wrath
    Because he knows the time is short
    Let him who hath understanding
    Reckon the number of the beast
    For it is a human number
    Its number is nine tens and seven…

*wisers clap*

The only team to worry over is LAK. 1-1 with NAS right now.

57. spoiler says:

treevojo:
    This growing fear of calgary around here seems really weird to me.

I guess I am alone.

I would be more confident going into that series then any other.

We match up great with them.

Fuck the flame fear.

I don’t care two hoots about who we play. They’re all tough wins, good teams. And adversity is a great teacher. Bring on whoever. Just make the damn playoffs (they will).

I think people aren’t willing to risk losing a series to the Flames and hearing about it forever, over the reward of being the ones doin the chirping. Fear is a much stronger motivator than greed. Or at least that’s what the Sith tell me.

58. Centre of attention says:

treevojo,

I wish I could share your confidence.

Really I do.

This Flames team looks impressive. Hitting stride at the right time and finally getting goal tending.

I wouldn’t sleep on them.

59. spoiler says:

Centre of attention,

16 games. To go. I wouldn’t bet on many teams holding that pace for that long, if any. Which means they won’t be entering the post-season on a hot streak, but on whatever comes after it.

The Oilers need to worry about the Oilers. They control their own destiny to a large degree.

60. JDï™ says:

spoiler: *Jamesons clap*

FTFY hic…

61. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

The only team to worry over is LAK. 1-1 with NAS right now.

If a playoff spot is all we care about, sure. But the Ducks’ win hurts, as does the Flames’. Hope the boys step up against the Pens and Habs. I think they can.

62. treevojo says:

Centre of attention:
    treevojo,

I wish I could share your confidence.

Really I do.

I wouldn’t sleep on them.

Teams get hot and cold throughout the year.

Starting that series both teams will remember that the Oilers went 4-0 this year.

When the Oilers look down the Flames bench and see that their biggest offensive threat weighs 145 lbs and the refs have forgotten to bring out their whistles after the second intermission I think they will be more then confident.

63. treevojo says:

spoiler,

Living out east now I don’t really have to worry about flame chirping too much.

I just want Oilers to win their first playoff round and I think the Calgary matchup is the mostly likely to make that happen.

64. Chachi says:

I hope the 2nd round pick that genius Steve Yzerman got for Brian Boyle can play centre or else he may have cost his team a shot at the playoffs this year.

65. JDï™ says:

Chachi,

Look, there’s no room on this blog for Yzerman deniers.

66. Chachi says:

JDï™:
    Chachi,

Look, there’s no room on this blog for Yzerman deniers.

If he was merely a mediocre GM he may have thought it prudent to hang onto or bolster his depth at centre. Of course now I am going to be up all night worried about who Yzerman will take with that second round pick instead of the Oilers having it….

67. treevojo says:

Chachi,

Maybe SteveY can give Callahan a shot of penicillin to get rid of his bad case of David clarksonitis.

I bet that guy can play center.

68. Chachi says:

treevojo:
    Chachi,

I bet that guy can play center.

69. JDï™ says:

drops pants

70. Chachi says:

JDï™:

drops pants

runs as far as possible in the opposite direction

71. treevojo says:

Chachi: I am just trying to figure out how Lou was able to get Stevie Y to give him his 3rd line centre for nothing and then use his devilish powers to decimate the rest of Tampa’s centres with his mind.

72. Chachi says:

treevojo: In fairness to Lou he tried to trade for both the third and fourth line centres but when one refused the trade he was left with no choice.

I am sure Lou kicked one of his specially bred kickin’ puppies when all that went down. Filppula’s days are numbered.

73. treevojo says:

Well the only bright spot of the whole night was the islanders winning.

74. JDï™ says:

treevojo,

You’re forgetting my pants drop.

75. treevojo says:

JDï™,

Chachi didn’t.

76. Chachi says:

treevojo:
    JDï™,

Chachi didn’t.

It will always be a special memory for me.

77. Crazy Pedestrian says:

treevojo:
    Well the only bright spot of the whole night was the islanders winning.

And even that wasn’t much of a bright spot as Toronto won as well…

78. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Fuuuuuu Kings Preds a 3 point game tonight, too. Just a crappy night for out of town scoreboard watching.

79. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Man, it kinda sucks watching every divisional rival (that matters) win multiple games in succession while your team has only played twice in the last 9 days (and only winning once)

80. Professor Q says:

Well it would certainly suck to miss out on the playoffs by one point/game again.

81. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

iginla scores in OT on the power play. damn it

82. Zelepukin says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

83. geowal says:

russ99: Great, that’s no scoring lines.

Deserves ain’t got nothing to do with it. If it works (could, don’t know), do it. Whatever gets more biscuits in baskets.

84. JDï™ says:

Chachi,

Is that a Kenny Rogers avatar?

85. Gret99zky says:

Chachi: Glad you are hip to my jive.

Excuse me stewardess, I speak jive:

“Hey… knock a self a pro, Slick! That gray matter backlot perform us DOWN, I take TCB-in’, man!”

86. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Zelepukin: Plus McD is really going to have to do it all himself to win the Ross. 5 guys tied for 2nd, all of ’em get way more scoring support.

If we are talking individual accolades to me McDavid is the runaway Hart winner for that reason (without him the Oilers are out of the playoffs yet again). Sharks, Pens make it without Burns, Crosby.

But I doubt they actually vote for him. Still, I think he (and we) would take a 1st round playoff win over the Ross or Hart.

87. JDï™ says:

Gret99zky,

I love live music. That was as cool as it was weird.

88. Professor Q says:

It would truly be a work of Art in his case.

89. Mustard Tiger says:

This is about Pouliot from 2005. Just another reminder that these guys are real people

90. Bruce McCurdy says:

JDï™:
    Woe to you, oh Central and Sea
    For the Oilers send the beast with wrath
    Because he knows the time is short
    Let him who hath understanding
    Reckon the number of the beast
    For it is a human number
    Its number is nine tens and seven…

91. spoiler says:

JDï™:

drops pants

There’s been plenty of marching…

Guess it was inevitable that at some point there would be chowder.

92. GMB3 says:

Spoiler and VOR, does Matt Tkachuk fit the Andy description from the previous thread? I’m not sure about rocket skates but it seems like he fits that description. I’m sure if he’s drafted in Edmonton he would probably be playing on his off wings

93. frjohnk says:

GMB3:

If he was drafted by the Oilers, he would make a good case of being the Oilers best winger after Draisaitl. Tkachuk is extremely skilled with the puck, he makes or tries plays that only the very good/elite players in the league do. But he plays like a knob and he is a flame, so its easy to not like him.

Calgary is playing very well. And with finally good goaltending, they are one of the most “balanced” teams in the west. Im hoping they are peaking too early, if not, I wont be surprised if they make it out of the Pacific.

94. Gret99zky says:

spoiler: There’s been plenty of marching…

Guess it was inevitable that at some point there would be chowder.

95. frjohnk says:

Now dont get the feeling that Im gushing about the Flames, cause Im not, but they have some nice pieces in the AHL. 8 of their top 10 scorers are 22 and under

Compare that to the Oilers AHL team http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0073882017.html and our 22 and under players are not even in the same league.

We do have a couple of Dmen coming from jr that look to be on the right path, that will help, but I bet the Oilers have one of the worst prospect pools when looking at AHL teams.

96. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

For those wringing hands over the Flames I highly recommend watching the highlights (or even better a condensed stream) of last nights games.

The Flames are playing well yes but goals 1,3,4 are on the Habs playing some very very loose hockey.

Again Flames playing good but in last nights contest the score was not an accurate reflection of the game play IMO.

They also lost Hamilton and Stone in the 2nd. Now some will say “ya but that could be precaution” and I agree however until the end of the season they Flames now play every two days and they play the majority of their games against “heavy teams”

I’m not trying to guarantee or downplay anything but I’m not fretting at all right now about that team.

Oilers need to pull up their socks and start kicking out the jams! Playoff race hockey, this is gonna be a fun 30 days.

Edit: I also do not understand the Habs love that permeates a lot of smart hockey minds. That team is slow, lacks an identity (are they an offensive team (no they aren’t), are they bruisers, are they trap-lite?) and aside from Plekanec has serious offensive issues. Weber has been pretty quite aside from the hot start and if Price doesn’t stand on his head I think the Habs are a helluva lot closer to Canuck territory than they are a Stanley Cup. Just my $0.02

97. Chachi says:

JDï™:
    Chachi,

Is that a Kenny Rogers avatar?

A velvet Kenny Rogers avatar.

98. Chachi says:

Gret99zky: Excuse me stewardess, I speak jive:

Airplane! So good.

99. Scungilli says:

sliderule: A brief perusal of draft over last ten years can show you may end up with more games played but not the best player.

This is how I see it. I’d do the opposite and trade up. 4/5/6/7 for a 2 and a 3 or the like. Way better chance of quality which is what you need. Replacement level players aren’t what’s in short supply.

100. Scungilli says:

frjohnk:
    Now dont get the feeling that Im gushing about the Flames, cause Im not, but they have some nice pieces in the AHL.8 of their top 10 scorers are 22 and under

I’m happy to see none at a PPG. So not ripping it up.

101. PhrankLee says:

Bruce McCurdy: Nine tens and a seven beats the shit out of all the deuces and treys we used to throw out there.

AKA: Non-negative factors.