TOMMY GUN

The Edmonton Oilers are going to need to find a shooter for Connor McDavid. I have no quarrel with either of his current wingers, nor with Milan Lucic or Jordan Eberle, but a volume shooter is required by the fall.

OILERS F’S, SHOTS PER 60 (5X5) (400 MINS)

1. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 8.75 (No. 51 among all forwards)
  2. Connor McDavid 8.08 (No. 82 among all forwards)
  3. Zack Kassian 8.04 (No. 83 among all forwards)
  4. Jordan Eberle 7.87 (No. 93 among all forwards)
  5. Patrick Maroon 7.52 (No. 120 among all forwards)
  6. Milan Lucic 5.93 (No. 245 among all forwards)
  7. Drake Caggiula 5.83 (No. 254 among all forwards)
  8. Leon Draisaitl 5.55 (No. 278 among all forwards)

McDavid’s common linemates currently are both below 8/60 at 5×5. Sidney Crosby’s most common linemates? Patric Hornqvist (12.28) and Conor  Sheary (8.94). Oilers need a shooter. There are 42 forwards in the NHL this season who have played over 400 minutes and have a 9.0/60 or better. Jesse Puljujarvi is at about 10.6/60 at 5×5 according to this website and that is encouraging. Does JP play in Edmonton again this season? It might take an injury. We are getting a nice sample size in the AHL though, and that is a very good thing.

CAM TALBOT, BY MONTH

• October: 9gp, .936
  • November: 13gp, .902
  • December: 12gp, .924
  • January: 12gp, .923
  • February: 11gp, .918
  • March: 2gp, .882

I think the Oilers should have brought in a veteran backup, not to make the playoffs, but to give Talbot some rest down the stretch here while also posting a strong finish. Suspect Edmonton is going to ride Talbot heavy early now, these are the big days of the regular season.

If you are wondering about Ziyat Paigin, here is an update from Patrick C (Chunklets Hockey):

• Ak Bars start their second-round series on Thursday against Avangard Omsk. Paigin hasn’t been playing, though, and I’m not 100% sure why.  He practised with the team yesterday, so he’s not injured — must be just the coach’s decision.

Patrick is a brilliant resource and a worthwhile follow if you are on twitter. Great blog, too. There may be a window of opportunity for Edmonton to sign the big man this summer, hope they do. Paigin has a big shot but is not a puck transporter, but rather a big, mobile defender with a howitzer. Stylistically, he might fit with a Matt Benning in the same way as Adam Larsson fits with Oscar Klefbom. This is what the scouting reports, anecdotes and scouts have told me. Would love to see him in NA this fall.

EXPANSION DRAFT

There are a lot of words being written currently about the expansion draft, and in the last 24 hours about the protected lists not being made public. This is an interesting conversation to have, because it speaks to the modern world and how terribly the NHL fits it. Gary Bettman says the lists won’t go public, but Clarence Campbell said it in 1967 and the entire draft was splashed on the pages of newspapers coast to coast on a same-day basis.

Bettman may be correct in that the lists won’t see the light of day before the draft, but my guess is that in the hours before expansion occurs someone will leak the lists. If not, shortly thereafter. On the other hand, there are legit reasons to keep the lists private and they all involve the players.

In the original 1967 expansion draft, Bernie Geoffrion threatened to retire if any expansion team called his name. Quoting the June 6, 1967 Montreal Gazette “Geoffrion claims he will retire rather than play for any other club if drafted. The Rangers have made overtures to the expansion owners that Geoffrion should pass through the draft.”

I can understand that, veteran with HHOF resume would prefer to avoid the embarrassment of being publicly available to an expansion team. That said, the NHL is entertainment and the cheques will cash in Vegas, too. I am just glad the NHL rules do not favor one team over another. Back in 1967, that was not the case, as Sam Pollock of the Montreal Canadiens devised a strategy (and no one said a word) that would cook the books on the league for the next 12 years. Only the most diabolical of men could cut the line so fine as to allow the protection of all of his front liners–past, present and most importantly future, while also freeing enough line to expose his enemies best young men. It was beyond impressive; I would suggest it was the single most effective example of a GM acting on  improving his team compared to the competition in the entire history of the game. How could a man stack the deck so thoroughly in his own favor and not be imprisoned? And what’s more, how would a professional hockey league allow such an enormous travesty? Believe me, the 2017 draft, whatever its sins, is absolutely pristine compared to the past.

JONAS GUSTAVSSON

According to Linus Hugosson,via Aftonbladet, Jonas Gustavsson plans to play in Sweden this coming season. It has been a difficult year for the Monster and a less than outstanding end to his NHL career should this be it. I remember being surprised the Oilers chose him over the still available names on July 1 and this was no doubt a gut feel signing. Not every  problem finds an easy solution, but I think we had this one figured out early. Wish him the best.

HAVE YOU CHANGED YOUR MIND?

MY CURRENT EXPANSION LIST

• Goal: Cam Talbot
  • Defense: Andrej Sekera, Adam Larsson, Oscar Klefbom
  • Forwards: Leon Draisaitl, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Milan Lucic, Jordan Eberle, Patrick Maroon, Zack Kassian, Jujhar Khaira
  • Ineligible: Connor McDavid, Darnell Nurse, Matt Benning, Jesse Puljujarvi, Anton Slepyshev, Drake Caggiula, Nick Ellis
  • Eligible: G Laurent Brossoit, D Mark Fayne, D Kris Russell, D Griffin Reinhart, D Jordan Oesterle, D Dillon Simpson, D David Musil, C Mark Letestu, C David Desharnais, L Benoit Pouliot, R Tyler Pitlick, R Iiro Pakarinen.

If I were George McPhee, I would probably take Mark Letestu because he can help next season and doesn’t cost a lot. My suspicion is that Griffin Reinhart will be a Golden Knight after the expansion draft.

STANDINGS THIS MORNING

If Calgary wins tonight, they will be tied with the Oilers in points, and a game behind in terms of remaining schedule. Anaheim plays Chicago tonight and Los Angeles plays Nashville, so by the time we chat tomorrow morning this table will have some changes in it. As of now, all remains the same as it was: Oilers are in, we can see them finishing anywhere from No. 2 the Pacific to grabbing one of the two wildcard spots. A tough schedule for the rest of this week offers Edmonton a real test, and gives the Flame a chance to (finally) catch their Alberta rivals.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy show with a lot of movement. TSN1260, 10 this morning, giddyup:

• Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey. Oilers still in a good spot, can they hold off the Flames?
  • Rod Pedersen, voice of the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Vince Young is a Roughrider. BIG story.
  • Andy McNamara, TSN4Downs. NFL free agency! It’s all happening!
  • Kent Wilson, Flames Nation. Calgary is rolling, will it continue tonight?

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. 90 minutes!

164 Responses to "TOMMY GUN"

1. who says:

Do the oilers have any indication that paigan even wants to come to north America

2. russ99 says:

I’d protect Letestu over Khaira.

His salary is reasonable, he’s a bit of a swiss army knife all over the roster, and he’s adding offense.

As physical and effective on the cycle he is, Khaira is not the same level of player, especially hands-wise, and we can’t have players learn on the job anymore while contending for a cup.

I know there’s disdain about bottom six veterans and their worth, but we won’t easily be able to replace Letestu.

3. leadfarmer says:

Sure glad this team fit all those games into tight schedules on their roadtrips so they can sit idle at home.
    It’s time to make a decision in Brossoit. Either you trust him as your backup or you don’t. Either let him go in the offseason or trust him with some starts

4. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Re: Talbot. I agree. Posted the following in yesterday’s morning thread.

Dare I suggest Talbot has been overworked and is tired?
    Before you tell me I am wrong (again, as usual), yes I have seen the small sample size game logs of 3 days+, 2 days, 1 day, 0 day rest differences.
    When I said we needed a stronger back up for this spring than Brossoit so that Talbot could rest up a lot of folks said you know it works for injury insurance but Talbot plays better the more he plays. That may be true. But here comes the “but” and no, we aren’t talking about Ms. Lopez.
    But…
    Talbot has never had a starter’s workload until last year. In year 2 of his career as a starter he has the most minutes played of any goalie in the NHL. More than Holtby, for example. Workhorse indeed. When you go from 15-25 games a year to 60 games to almost 70 in rapid succession, oh, I don’t know, your body might need adjustment.
    Now here is my unscientific theory about playing worse on more rest. You know when you are so busy at work you are just going, going, going, fighting through everything and performing at a high level, and then you finally get a long weekend and then you get sick? And then you go back to work after and you just don’t have the energy?
    Something like that. While getting little time to recover, Talbot does every thing with the focus on that. On the road, riding the bike, ice baths, whatever. But over time, the work load is taking its toll. There is cumulative fatigue building.
    But then you get home. Twins are waiting and it is daddy duty time, and the fatigue hits you, even though you are getting more rest. Body says to you, “hey, it is recovery time.” And it just becomes a hair less responsive.
    Now Talbot is a pro, so I imagine he has every method available to aid him. I don’t imagine the slip will be too great. But he may slip from his recent run of .925 towards .915 and that may matter.
    I also don’t want him burned out by this time next year. The way he is being used it wouldn’t be surprising, even though he is fine now.
    Completely unscientific observation on my part. I just wish we had a backup that got in more games. Sure, maybe Talbot does better under a heavier workload…for now…but we don’t know in the future.

5. Bag of Pucks says:

RE: Gustavsson

Man, do the Oilers end a lot of NHL careers. They might lead in the league in the ‘last stop before Europe’ category?

6. Bag of Pucks says:

russ99:
    I’d protect Letestu over Khaira.

True dat.

7. admiralmark says:

Just out of curiosity if AK Bars season ends soon can Paigin be signed to play in Bakersfield these playoffs? Since being traded from HK Sochi(curious move by HK Sochi ) he’s seemed like a player thats been lost and could use a new start to put him back on track.

8. VOR says:

Russ,

The last time the Oilers won a Stanley Cup they had at least four players learning on the job, the entire Kid Line and Mark Lamb. And without Lamb and Murphy there would have been no cup. In fact, in this cap crunched world most future Stanley Cup winners are going to feature cheap kids in prominent roles. Look at Pittsburgh last year.

9. who says:

russ99:
    I’d protect Letestu over Khaira.

But would you protect 1 years worth of Letestu vs 4 or 5 years of JJ. That is the real question.

10. GMB3 says:

admiralmark:

11. admiralmark says:

russ99:
    I’d protect Letestu over Khaira.

With Khaira being 22 and developing and Letestu being 32 and dwindling I would be hard pressed giving up Khaira if the choice is between these 2. Yes the team needs Vets when contending for the cup. But they also need “young” and cheap talent to fill in for potential runs at the cup. And do we really think they are contending this year? Maybe it’s because I feel Khaira has a lot more yet to give. I get laughed at but I see him developing into a Kesler light. And I think we’ve seen Letestu’s peak. I like Letestu but he’s an ideal 4C… These guys can be found relatively easily if you’re a fair to middling GM.

12. Woodguy v2.0 says:

2 games in 9 days is really driving me crazy.

13. Confused says:

Bag of Pucks,

Cannot see it.

Test is already badly out of gas and would ideally have came out a while ago.

But TMac has him front and center of everything, so he is probably going nowhere.

To cover this Hendo is covering many FOs for him, but Hendo is out of gas!

Given this huge problem, as Talbot may also be out of gas,, it will be a real limp towards the playoffs.

And must be a situation they avoid next year.

Either Test needs to go back to a minor role for one last year or a new RC must come in.

14. kinger_OIL says:

– Great post LT!

– We are all guessing on what is going to happen. There is a lot of personal bias depending on the views of the poster on the player, etc.

– Bottom line: JarJar is a not established 4rth liner. Griff is a not-established NHL D. Letestsu: you know with confidence what you are going to get. Pou is an NHL’er. Russel and DD: they could get paid more to join: that’s what I’d do if I was them.

– If I put on my LV hat, I want the best available player, and I don’t think that’s Jar Jar or Griff

– LV has boatloads of 4rth liners and AHL propsects available.

– I don’t see it the way most here do

15. GMB3 says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    2 games in 9 days is really driving me crazy.

Agreed.

The NHL scheduling makes no sense to me at all. Couldn’t you space out a few more back to backs instead of giving them all these ridiculous breaks?

I told my girlfriend I’d go to a fundraiser with her tomorrow night because I thought the Oilers played tonight.. Now I’m going to miss one of my most highly anticipated games of the year.

16. Woodguy v2.0 says:

WC standings using points %. Shown as “points over/under .500” to see spreads between teams.

MIN 26
    LAK 3
    WPG -2
    VAN -2
    DAL -3
    ARI -12
    COL -26

If COL loses and LAK wins COL is officially eliminated from playoff contention.

WC games tonight:

NSH at LAK – if NSH can win, everyone gets a bit more oxygen
    MTL at CGY – go Habs!!! (I feel dirty)
    MIN at TBY – Wild can stab TBY’s hopes in the heart
    ANA at CHI – I hope CHI keeps steamrolling like they have been
    NJD at COL – The Toilet Bowl (actually ARI is 29th and DET is 28th, but why not call it that?)
    OTT at ARI – ARI is a team in the NHL
    NYI at VAN – Cheering for Dougie and Josh Ho-Lemiuex
    WSH at SJS – Clash of Titans. Could be SCF preview

17. GMB3 says:

Confused:
    Bag of Pucks,

Cannot see it.

Test is already badly out of gas and would ideally have came out a while ago.

To cover this Hendo is covering many FOs for him, but Hendo is out of gas!

And must be a situation they avoid next year.

Either Test needs to go back to a minor role for one last year or a new RCmust come in.

Letestu is “out of gas”?

18. admiralmark says:

GMB3: I’m just not so sure that jumping to a new continent with a different language for a playoff push in Bakersfield will be the best way to ease him into North American hockey.. but it would be nice to see him come across sooner rather than later.

True enough. I suppose it would depend on where his head space is at. This is where face to face communication between the Oiler Russian scout needs to occur. I would expect there would be some kind of dialogue already occurring. But if he’s chomping at the bit to come over and prove himself. Why not? Even if he didnt get into many games it could start him on his acclimation to the NA game and environment.

19. Optimism is like heroin says:

Gotta say with all this talk of expansion I personally would rather see the league shrink by 2 or 4 teams rather than get bigger. with another 23 nhl jobs it does nothing but water down the current level of talent. Seems that this will encourage more obstruction and lower goals scored even further. If we cut the teams down however we see less tweeners and more line ups with 4 decent lines. Just my 2 cents of course.

20. Woodguy v2.0 says:

EC standings using points %. Shown as “points over/under .500” to see spreads between teams

WSH 30
    BUF -1
    CAR -1
    NJD -4
    DET -4

EC games tonight:
    NYR at CAR – Rich will probably get richer
    PHI at TOR – YUUUUUUGE GAME!!! BIG LEAGUE.
    MIN at TBY – TBY needs to not lose any
    NJD at COL – HALL vs DUCHENE or is it HAWERCHUK vs DIONNE?
    OTT at ARI – I hate the way OTT plays hockey. They goaler good.
    NYI at VAN – Want NYI here but feel for the Sedins
    WSH at SJS – Will end 2-1 even though they can both score, neither team will want to make a mistake

21. Woodguy v2.0 says:

GMB3: Letestu is “out of gas”?

A little egg salad sandwich with pickles and onions will fix that up.

22. Confused says:

GMB3,

Totally, slowed down tremendously

Now the poorest PKer in the team cannot get to the correct spot quickly enough and cannot muster sufficient down force on especially off-outhanded face-offs.

The 4th line may never escape their own end shortly unless a significant switch in personnel happens.

23. dustrock says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    2 games in 9 days is really driving me crazy.

Not convinced it’s helping the team either.

24. Centre of attention says:

I can’t wait for Pouliot to slot back in the line up.

Seriously.

He has something to prove I think and will come back with a chip on his shoulder IMO and will play with a bit of that aggressiveness that makes him so effective.

I really think a line of Poo-DD-Puljujarvi could destroy soft competition down the stretch, as well as Poo slotting into the first PK unit again.

The PK is the one area this team really misses him this year, even when he was slumping scoring wise he was always effective on the PK.

His skating & long reach make him so effective at disrupting the oppositions progress.

25. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Centre of attention,

Or he’ll take 2 offensive zone penalties in the first 10 minutes of the game and never set foot on the ice again.

One of the two almost for sure.

26. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Rogers Place to replace 9 faulty exhaust fans.

Not being able to exhaust warm/moist air would affect the ice for sure.

Those fans are not World Class.

BREAKING: “EDMONTON OILERS HAVE TERRIBLE FANS!!”

27. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0,

It’s amazing how good goalering can cover up crap Corgis.

28. Chachi says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Rogers Place to replace 9 faulty exhaust fans.

Not being able to exhaust warm/moist air would affect the ice for sure.

Those fans are not World Class.

BREAKING: “EDMONTON OILERS HAVE TERRIBLE FANS!!”

Hilarious.

29. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Centre of attention,

That’s my ideal 3rd line too

30. Woodguy v2.0 says:

leadfarmer:
    Woodguy v2.0,

It’s amazing how good goalering can cover up crap Corgis.

Yup.

They also collapse around their net like Lemaire’s Wild and trap, trap, trap with little forecheck when they have a lead.

I hate that kind of hockey.

31. Scungilli says:

You play the hand you’re dealt. The Oilers have one truly elite player out of 4 first overalls. They found a good goalie. Thing is Talbot is old. That he couldn’t land a starters job until old says something, and we can see what it is.

He is a good signing, a good player but he is a streaky goalie, and that isn’t ideal. The team absolutely has to find his match for a backup, who can sit for long periods and then run a few games until Talbot can push him back down. If no position should be gifted goal is certainly the first one.

The Oilers are shaping up as a team with one elite player and a bunch of very good ones. I think this is probably better than having 2 or 3 elite players and a weaker roster below that, because of depth and balance in scoring. I think the Oilers can find balanced scoring if things are handled well. Especially financially. Players have to be paid market value or less, absolutely not more.

Next season is it. We are here. There has been enough time. Connor is here. The only reason for an unbalanced team at the start of next season is poor decision making which means a lack of understanding of the game and incompetence.

Man I wish I felt more confidence about this. I suppose part is being conditioned to the Russian proverb – hoped for the best but turned out like always – but part is certainly odd decisions and mis-directions regarding the liquidation of useful or better players.

32. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0: Yup.

I hate that kind of hockey.

Yup. Anderson at top of crease and two players covering his flanks.

33. fuzzy muppet says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Rogers Place to replace 9 faulty exhaust fans.

Not being able to exhaust warm/moist air would affect the ice for sure.

Those fans are not World Class.

BREAKING: “EDMONTON OILERS HAVE TERRIBLE FANS!!”

McDavid with a fast, clean sheet of ice would be unstoppable(hell he pretty much is anyway).

In the last game, the puck was all over the place and it affected their ability to finish.

Fix this please

34. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Rogers Place to replace 9 faulty exhaust fans.

Not being able to exhaust warm/moist air would affect the ice for sure.

Those fans are not World Class.

BREAKING: “EDMONTON OILERS HAVE TERRIBLE FANS!!”

I was just getting used to the bouncing puck being whacked around the ice.

35. leadfarmer says:

Scungilli,

If you think Talbots old you should take a look at the starters around the league.

36. Pouzar says:

russ99: I’d protect Letestu over Khaira.

I hope not.

37. Lloyd B. says:

Pouzar,

Big strong good skating younguns on the upswing are more valuable.

I think LT has the list nailed. Don’t see anything on the discard pile that can’t be filled internally, through waivers or UFA.

38. Pouzar says:

Letestu is a 46% possession player 5 on 5, not a terribly good PKer but produces on the PP.
    I don’t get the love for this player.

39. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Rogers Place to replace 9 faulty exhaust fans.

Not being able to exhaust warm/moist air would affect the ice for sure.

Those fans are not World Class.

BREAKING: “EDMONTON OILERS HAVE TERRIBLE FANS!!”

Not a fan of this /JDI

40. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I think the more important point that people are missing in the Letestu/Khaira debate is this:

If we lose either of those guys in the expansion draft, then that’s actually pretty great.

I’m a fan of both players. I want them both on my team. But if we lose one of them….. who cares? Their individual impact on the overall success/failure of this club over the next few years will be negligible at best.

If LV walks away from the expansion draft with one of Letestu or Khaira, my advice is to have a beer, then have another.

41. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Re: forwards taking penalties

Name the top 5 Oiler penalty/game players.

Here are their penalty per game rates:

Penalty/Game
    0.306
    0.303
    0.294
    0.286
    0.182

EDIT: This is forwards only

42. Pouzar says:

Lloyd B.: There are Letestu types all over the place after the feeding frenzy is over in July.

Agreed and I bet Woodguy 2.0 could come up with a huge list.

Keep JJ. No brainer.

43. DBO says:

Free Anton
    I would like to see Letestu on Connor’s wing. RH shooter, two way player. Pisani. can take faceoffs for Connor. Take him off PK to save his legs.

Maroon-McDavid-Letestu
    Lucic-Nuge-Eberle
    Desharnais-Draisatl-Kassian
    Pouliot-Lander-JP

Balance. at least 2 vets per line. size on each. speed on each. two way play on each. shooter on each.

44. Pouzar says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:

I’m a fan of both players.I want them both on my team.But if we lose one of them…..who cares?Their individual impact on the overall success/failure of this club over the next few years will be negligible at best.

Sorry but I think that is ridiculous. We have no idea what Khaira’s ceiling is. Right now albeit in a small sample size he is eating Letestu’s lunch from a possession stand point. Khaira is exactly the type of player we should be keeping. Young, fast, can play center or wing and can play up and down the lineup. He has huge value going forward.

45. Pouzar says:

DBO: RH shooter, two way player.

One of these is true.

46. nvan97 says:

Re: forwards taking penalties

Name the top 5 Oiler penalty/game players.

Here are their penalty per game rates:

Penalty/Game
    0.306
    0.303
    0.294
    0.286
    0.182

I’ll take a swing in no particular order:
    Lucic
    Nurse
    Russell
    Kassian
    Eberle

47. frjohnk says:

I bet if we looked at every teams 7th protected forward, the majority would have players better than Khaira.

We hope that Khaira becomes something like Dwight King. Big, physical, tough to play against, can chip in some offense. But he is not there yet.

Id protect Letestu over Khaira. He is better than Khaira, has a better range of skills (PK,PP) and is a proven NHL center. We are lacking in the center spot, so losing a proven center like Letestu would be worse than losing a player who has not established himself as a NHL player who next year would need to clear waivers.

48. Melvis says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Lay off the effin egg salad, pickles, and onions.

49. Georges says:

WG,

I can’t see how Schultz can be sheltered at 5v5 and still be riding Crosby/Malkin’s coattails, particularly given that Letang has missed 24 games this year. That would mean Crosby/Malkin are getting sheltered minutes as well, wouldn’t it? That doesn’t add up.

Schultz’s personal and WOWY numbers clearly suggest he’s having a big impact on PIT this year. They’re well in line with what you’d expect from a first pair D. His 5v5 numbers with Matt Murray are unconscious. Since Dec., Schultz’s numbers are at the very top for defensemen in many categories.

The reality is that his numbers with us were terrible. The team was terrible and he seemed to make the team worse. But TMac and Chia, experienced pros, had a chance to evaluate him too. They had a chance to make decisions on how to deploy him, bring him along, build him up. I know the take was that he had one year’s experience repeated four times. Really, though, the Oilers invested 248 games to his development and concluded at the end of it that he would no longer develop, Turns out that was just at the point that he had developed. The decisions made in Schultz’s last year with us are on current management. Apparently they weren’t good decisions by our experienced pros.

I find it fascinating that the player that couldn’t leave town fast enough is also this player. Is it reasonable to believe he’s getting lucky and he’s going to regress on that team? His PDO is worse than many other proven defenders (like Suter and Burns) who have a better 5v5 GF% than he does.

Earlier this season, posters were crediting the Oilers’ improvement to having Schultz off the ice. Pittsburgh says thank you, I guess. I’m going to file this under life’s weird turns and circumstance. Also remind myself that when bad teams lose faith in talented players they’ve failed to develop and are ready to sell at blowout prices, arrive early. You might get a Yak or you might get a Schultz. Those are great bargains (and odds).

50. Pouzar says:

frjohnk:

We hope that Khaira becomes something like Dwight King.Big, physical, tough to play against, can chip in some offense.But he is not there yet.

Id protect Letestu over Khaira. He is better than Khaira, has a better range of skills (PK,PP) and is a proven NHL center.We are lacking in the center spot, so losing a proven center like Letestu would be worse than losing a player who has not established himself as a NHL player who next year would need to clear waivers.

This blows me away.

51. PhrankLee says:

fuzzy muppet: IMO getting the ice fixed for next season is one of the most important issues facing the Oilers.

Fix this please

9 fans?!? That’s a huge deal. If fixed it could help immediately. I’ve run greenhouse systems of 4 acres under glass.

Ventilation is key for ground level temperature control.

52. Pouzar says:

Dammnit where were those Woodmoney stats WG posted the other day on Letestu?

JDI? Where the hell are you?

53. vinotintazo says:

Georges,

I think 99% of Oilers fans were done with Schultz.

He was an RFA making 3.9 M, which means you had to qualify him around that.

Can you imagine paying 4M for a guy who had 3 horrible seasons in a row?

He was done here, and he was not going to stay here for 1.4 M like he did on Pittsburgh.

He lost his confidence here, and regained it back in Pittsburgh good for him, he looks great on the Cup Champs who play a run n Gun style unlike EDM’s Place and chase.

54. Scungilli says:

leadfarmer:
    Scungilli,

Old to get his first starting gig. Elite players establish early. Talbot is a good goalie but not elite as we are seeing. That’s fine, but it is what it is.

Woodguy spotted his quality, but he’s not Price Lundqvist or Rask. And the Oilers should act accordingly, looking for an upgrade if it comes available, at the most important position.

55. vinotintazo says:

As good as Letestu has been on the PP, I would rather protect Khaira, 6’3 C/LW who can Skate and its mean.

Yes please.

If by some miracle he gets taken by LASV I’m sure we can find a 4C on July.

56. Justthestatsman says:

Re: forwards taking penalties

Name the top 5 Oiler penalty/game players.

Here are their penalty per game rates:

Penalty/Game
    0.306
    0.303
    0.294
    0.286
    0.182

In no particular order, I’d guess
    Kassian
    Maroon
    Gryba
    Hendricks
    Pouliot
    with a maybe to Larsson

57. Woodguy v2.0 says:

nvan97: I’ll take a swing in no particular order:
    Lucic
    Nurse
    Russell
    Kassian
    Eberle

Sorry, this is forwards only. (just edited the original post)

You have one of the 5.

58. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Melvis:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Lay off the effin egg salad, pickles,and onions.

You might as well tell to not live.

59. anjinsan says:

Every time I see Reinhart mentioned I experience the loss of missing on Barzal/Kyle Connor and Carlo. For me: the day the music died.
    That incompetent botch cascaded into the Hall trade.

60. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Justthestatsman: In know particular order, I’d guess
    Kassian
    Maroon
    Gryba
    Hendricks
    Pouliot
    with a maybe to Larsson

Excellent.

You got 4 of the 5 forwards.

As stated earlier, it was forwards only.

Here’s the list:

Hendricks
    Maroon
    Pouliot
    Kassian
    McDavid

61. Scungilli says:

If I see Schultz and Gagner do yeoman’s work in the playoffs I will revisit my opinion that they are a net detriment unless heavily sheltered and paid little.

And I will be truly shocked if they can suddenly become quality two way players after what we witnessed.

What I won’t be surprised at are soon to be regretted contracts signed this summer.

62. classict says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Including fighting majors?

Kassian
    Maroon
    Lucic
    Hendricks
    Pouliot

63. anjinsan says:

When bad trades are made there are many (loyal to management) fans who say, ‘Wait. Time will tell.’ So then time tells. But then those fans say….’Move on, damnit. You’re beating a dead horse.’
    In reality, it’s after time has told that the real blistering criticism should come because it’s been validated.

64. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Ok, here’s a better one.

Its best to evaluate penalties using: Penalties Taken – Penalties Drawn.

Example) McDavid has taken 6 penalties, but drawn 29 so he’s not a penalty issue and leads the Oilers with +23 Pen Diff.

Here’s the Oilers forward’s Pen diff per game:

MARK.LETESTU 0.000
    LEON.DRAISAITL 0.106
    DRAKE.CAGGIULA 0.106
    IIRO.PAKARINEN 0.125
    JORDAN.EBERLE 0.167
    CONNOR.MCDAVID 0.348

That’s a lot of forwards to have in negative numbers.

Usually Dmen take penalties on forwards.

65. Chachi says:

anjinsan:
    Every time I see Reinhart mentioned I experience the loss of missing on Barzal/Kyle Connor and Carlo.For me: the day the music died.
    That incompetent botch cascaded into the Hall trade.

66. nvan97 says:

Woodguy v2.0,

McDavid and Eberle basically cover off the bottom 5 on their own.

67. who says:

Georges:
    WG,

And no way is shultz a Norris trophy candidate, no matter what his points and plus minus say. Watch him defend in his own end. He is still butter soft and disinterested. Chia DID NOT make a mistake here.

68. nvan97 says:

Chachi: Do you also experience the loss of missing out on the other players they could have picked with those draft picks as well or is it just those specific players?

69. N64 says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Rogers Place to replace 9 faulty exhaust fans.

Not being able to exhaust warm/moist air would affect the ice for sure.

Those fans are not World Class.

BREAKING: “EDMONTON OILERS HAVE TERRIBLE FANS!!”

’bout time they replaced Tier 2 fans. 😉

70. Woodguy v2.0 says:

classict:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Including fighting majors?

Kassian
    Maroon
    Lucic
    Hendricks
    Pouliot

Good question.

I just used minors.

Here it is: (minor penalties taken/game)
    Matt Hendricks 0.306
    Mark Letestu 0.079

71. Suntory Hanzo says:

N64,

Well played.

72. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Rogers Place to replace 9 faulty exhaust fans.

Not being able to exhaust warm/moist air would affect the ice for sure.

Those fans are not World Class.

BREAKING: “EDMONTON OILERS HAVE TERRIBLE FANS!!”

I was under the impression that Edmonton Oilers fans were exhausting. I guess only some of them are.

73. ashley says:

Team’s amateur draft rankings are rarely ever leaked for reasons similiar to why expansion draft protection lists probably won’t be leaked. There will be rumours and guessing about what they are, but we probably will never know for sure who was on those lists. And for good reason.

74. classict says:

ashley,

What’s the good reason here?

75. ashley says:

Looking for a shooter for CMD starts off going in the wrong direction IMO. CMD needs someone to help him keep the attack going instead of the play dying once he passes it to his LW.

He needs someone who can see the ice similiar to the way he does; To understand his tendencies after he has dished and see him swooping in for the glorious chance rather than settling for the LW’s so-so shot from the side or wrap around. I believe Eberle is one answer.

If I were coach for a day, I would but RNH at LW with CMD and Eberle at RW and then get some popcorn to watch the fireworks. Draisaitl can handle the second line.

Desharnais and Letestu 3 and 4 respectively.

76. JDï™ says:

theres oil in virginia: Edmonton Oilers fans were exhausting

77. commonfan14 says:

This season is starting to have a distinct “Swept by the Wild in Round 1” feel to it.

Maybe Connor’s new haircut can turn things around.

78. treevojo says:

commonfan14:
    This season is starting to have a distinct “Swept by the Wild in Round 1”feel to it.

Maybe Connor’s new haircut can turn things around.

Can’t wait to see how you feel if the Oilers lose two games in a row.

“Oilers dropping their colon for Nolan”

Edit to add

“Oilers playing like their colon’s spastic for Nolan Patrick”

79. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Georges,

TOI % vs Elite F (remember, this is just F, not D)

Crosby 36%
    Malkin 32%
    Letang 38%
    Schultz 25% (was 19% at one point)

There’s lots of time to have Schultz out there with Malkin or Crosby and not vs. the best.

Here’s a couple game examples:

Vs. NYI Tavares is the Elite
    Crosby vs Tavares 7:01
    Malkin vs Tavares 2:52
    Schultz vs Tavares 0:12

Schutlz with Crosby 3:10
    Schultz with Malkin 3:07

So at the very least Schultz got 6:05 TOI with Crosby/Malkin and no Tavares

Letang did not play that game. Matta and Dumoulin got the Tavares job.

vs BOS – Bergeron-Marchand are Elite (using Marchand as they play together)

Malkin vs Marchand 6:43
    Crosby vs Marchand 3:27
    Letang vs Marchand 6:16
    Schutlz vs Marchand 1:49

Schultz with Malkin 2:45
    Schutlz with Crosby 2:37

So at the very least Schultz got 3:35 with Malkin/Crosby with no Marchand on the ice (probably more)

These were two random games I picked, but if you scroll through the games, they are mostly like this.

Here’s their game vs DAL a few days ago. Remember Schutlz is supposed to be “playing toughs” now that Letang is down.

PIT Dmen TOI vs Benn

Hainsey 10:25
    Dumoulin 8:51
    Cole 4:19
    Schultz 4:12
    Ruhwedel 3:30
    Gaunce 1:13

TOI vs Benn

Crosby 6:07
    Malkin 5:01
    Schultz 4:12

Schultz w/ Crosby 6:24
    Schultz w/ Malkin 8:13

So in a game a few days ago with Letang not in the line up, Schultz got at least 10:15 with Crosby/Malkin and no Benn on the ice.

In this game Kessel didn’t play with Malkin so you can add him too

Kessel vs Benn 2:27

Schultz w/ Kessel 6:07

So that’s another minimum of 3:40 of Schultz with an offensive driver and no Benn.

Minimum 15 minutes on the ice with one of Crosby/Malkin/Kessel and no Benn, and probably more.

Managing in-game match ups is what coaches mostly do during a game.

Can you see it now?

80. Woodguy v2.0 says:

N64: ’bout time they replaced Tier 2 fans.

Well done.

81. Woodguy v2.0 says:

JDï™: This is why Vancouver has good ice, despite the humidity. Half their fans suck, and the other half blow.

*polite golf clap*

82. Woodguy v2.0 says:

theres oil in virginia: I was under the impression that Edmonton Oilers fans were exhausting.I guess only some of them are.

Only on twitter and blogs.

83. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Jack Michaels‏ @EdmontonJack 48m48 minutes ago

Benoit Pouliot should return to lineup tomorrow for 1st time since Feb. 11. Likely on a line w/Desharnais & Kassian.

Good.

Good spot for him two.

All 3 on that line can skate.

84. Zelepukin says:

who: Pittsburgh and oilers were two different scenarios for shultz. If edmonton were to extend his contract they would’ve have had to pay him 4.5 mil this year. Pittsburgh let him go to free agency and then signed him to a bargain contract. Yes, edmonton could have done this too, but so could have every nhl team. No way was shultz coming back to edmonton after being run out of town.
    And no way is shultz a Norris trophy candidate, no matter what his points and plus minus say. Watch him defend in his own end. He is still butter soft anddisinterested. Chia DID NOT make a mistake here.

Absolutely 100%. If you don’t agree then you never watched every Oiler game Schultz ever played. There is a reason Jultzing became a verb.

85. Bruce Wayne says:

A few people have noted it, but if you run through the expansion draft exercise you will notice that the Oilers are one of the few teams without any useful players available. Whomever is taken, whether it is Letestu, Khaira, Pitlick as forwards, or Reinhart on D, they aren’t going to be in the top 25 players Las Vegas drafts.

So the good news is that relative to the rest of the league the expansion draft is a net win for the Oilers.

The bad news is it is a net win for the Oilers only because they don’t have as many good players as other teams.

86. Alpine says:

Schultz should be in the Norris conversation the same way Keith Yandle was year after year. As an afterthought. If there was a best 4th forward award, then maybe you could talk about Jultz approaching the top 5 or something.

87. JDï™ says:

Woodguy v2.0: All 3 on that line can skate.

Sweet – the Adrena Line.

Now about that fourth line…

88. JDï™ says:

JDï™,

From today’s practice update:

Drake Caggiula, Jujhar Khaira and Anton Slepyshev were wearing grey jerseys.

Hendritch and Pak it is, then.

89. Chachi says:

nvan97: I have a sense of loss for every draft pick the Oilers have traded and all the picks after the one they traded away.

Me too! Also I obsess about all the free agents they didn’t sign or players they didn’t trade for whether or not they ever actually had a chance to sign or trade for them. Keeps me up at night, but at least the completely unjustified rage keeps me warm.

90. Chachi says:

JDï™: Hendritch

Ha!

91. npanciroli says:

JDï™,

deep sighhhhhhh

92. JDï™ says:

Chachi: keeps me warm.

Didn’t your cousin teach you to keep your cool?

93. Chachi says:

JDï™: Didn’t your cousin teach you to keep your cool?

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh!

94. Pouzar says:

JDï™:
    JDï™,

From today’s practice update:

Drake Caggiula, Jujhar Khaira and Anton Slepyshev were wearing grey jerseys.

Hendritch and Pak it is, then.

OMfnG

95. Woodguy v2.0 says:

JDï™: Sweet – the Adrena Line.

Now about that fourth line…

I’d call up 51 and 98 and run:

67-13-98
    51/54-55-44

96. JDï™ says:

Pouzar: OMfnG

And King McDavid had his hair cut!

97. 106 and 106 says:

Using your same criteria, volume shooters for mcdavid available could be:

Vrbata 124
    Brassard 123
    Eaves 120
    Willams 108

Most high volume shooters seem locked in and/or untradable.

Eberle isn’t bad –
    Wait for JP?

98. Zelepukin says:

I like Pou in for Drake. It puts the pressure on him. The verbal on him helping the PK is ironic given that it’s most likely him in the box.

Either way, being 30th in the league in PK since Jan1st and 30th in face-offs, is a serious issue.

99. JDï™ says:

Zelepukin: 30th in the league in PK since Jan1st and 30th in face-offs

That is an unacceptable combo, isn’t it?

100. JDï™ says:

JDï™,

Ooh look – the Pens scored three PP goals last night.

101. kinger_OIL says:

– Sorry I think the whole: get a shooter with McD is goobley-goo-talk. Buddy is top points guy in the league. He also is the top assist guy.

102. hunter1909 says:

kinger_OIL: – If one were to quibble about the effectiveness of the McD line, I would point to McD: put the biscuit in the basket more pal. Be more selfish. Take more shots.

103. hunter1909 says:

commonfan14:

Maybe Connor’s new haircut can turn things around.

The Flames are surging, so you might have a valid point.

Or they might get lucky and open the playoffs on the road – in Calgary.

104. hunter1909 says:

Why do I get the feeling that if Calgary plays Edmonton in the playoffs, it’s almost like the Oilers need to win or else the season is another disaster?

105. Lloyd B. says:

Jack Michaels‏ @EdmontonJack48m48 minutes ago

Good.

Good spot for him two.

All 3 on that line can skate.

Worked out Ok for Buffalo once upon a time.

106. kinger_OIL says:

Marron-McD-Drai
    Lucic-RNH-Ebs
    Pou-DD-Kassian

– This is on paper a top-4 3 lines. Only Pittsburgh, Washington and Chicago are more complete IMO

– This is so many universes away from 2 years ago.

– Who said Chia is mediocre again?

– If all three of those players on 2nd line figure it out, they are going to be massive.

107. hunter1909 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: I just wish we had a backup that got in more games.

I’m just happy they don’t have any defensemen under 5 foot ten.

108. hunter1909 says:

Lloyd B.: If Kassian picked up some French in Montreal then the Oilers have their very own French connection.

Worked out Ok for Buffalo once upon a time.

Compared to the Buffalo line, Oilers would need to be called the “Special French” Connection,

109. Chachi says:

Worked out Ok for Buffalo once upon a time.

I think Kassian’s problems in Quebec started when he “picked up some French” in Montreal.

110. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Chachi: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh!

That’s a very Canadian response.

I always saw it written out as aaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!

111. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Worked out Ok for Buffalo once upon a time.

I think anything he may have picked up in Montreal probably cleared up with few shots of penicillin.

112. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

106 and 106:
    Using your same criteria, volume shooters for mcdavid available could be:

Vrbata 124
    Brassard 123
    Eaves 120
    Willams 108

Most high volume shooters seem locked in and/or untradable.

Eberle isn’t bad –
    Wait for JP?

I was having this conversation on Twitter yesterday.

I’ve heard many people suggest Vrbata is a good fit for McDavid precisely because he’s a volume shooter.

Problem I have with that is that while he shoots a lot, he’s not very good at it. He’s an 8.5% shooter over the past 4 years, 7.8% over the past 2 (so bad and getting worse).

I want to see someone on McDavid’s wing who scores when he shoots.

Best target is TJ Oshie (15% shooter over the past few years) but I’m concerned that he would be too expensive.

Our best bet is to see an internal guy fill that role. JP is a good choice, or maybe a guy like Tyler Pitlick manages to Chris Kunitz himself into a few allstar games.

113. kinger_OIL says:

hunter1909: McDavid doesn’t nearly take as many shots as he should – as a result the opposition keys on the other players with predictable(losing) results. .

– yeah it’s so predictable that he has the most assists in the league

– sure in an ideal he gets his Kurri, but untill then he has figured it out morseo than any C in the league.

– It’s a false narrative IMO (and quite possibly code for: “see how much better we’d be with Hall)

114. Chachi says:

Woodguy v2.0: That’s a very Canadian response.

I always saw it written out as aaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!

If the Fonzie character was Mexican that would make sense.

115. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

vinotintazo:
    Georges,

I think 99% of Oilers fans were done with Schultz.

He was an RFA making 3.9 M, which means you had to qualify him around that.

Can you imagine paying 4M for a guy who had 3 horrible seasons in a row?

I blame MacT for this. When he signed him to that RFA deal I was pissed! He had not earned that kind of money. I used Subban’s bridge as a comparable and suggested 5m over 2 years was fair. And MacT goes and gives him a huge raise in guaranteed money.

People told me that because we had the cap space the overpay did not matter. Well it did. If the qualifying offer was 10% avove 2.5m on 2 years instead of 3.9m on one, would that have changed our patience level, etc., with the player? Yes.

It’s all moot now but this is a good example of how yes, it does matter when you over pay a player even though you have the cap space to do it.

Schultz was always capable of putting up points. He was just on the wrong team, and I think he still would be exposed here now. Pittsburgh has 4 good lines for him to play behind. If we had that he would be doing well. Sheltering, to me, isn’t just about who you face on the opposition, but who you get to play with. Right now all the Oilers who play with 97 have major help, doesn’t matter who they are going against. When they are without him they have to do more on their own as they are with some average players.

116. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

hunter1909: I’m just happy they don’t have any defensemen under 5 foot ten.

The key to happiness is low expectations.

117. Woodguy v2.0 says:

kinger_OIL:
    Marron-McD-Drai
    Lucic-RNH-Ebs
    Pou-DD-Kassian

– This is on paper a top-4 3 lines.Only Pittsburgh, Washington and Chicago are more complete IMO

– This is so many universes away from 2 years ago.

– Who said Chia is mediocre again?

Really?

If it wasn’t for McDavid I’d take all of these guys over the Oilers.

Even with McDavid a take a few of them.

Wild have 4:

Craig Smith Mike Fisher Austin Watson

118. Woodguy v2.0 says:

kinger_OIL:
    Marron-McD-Drai
    Lucic-RNH-Ebs
    Pou-DD-Kassian

– This is so many universes away from 2 years ago.

– Who said Chia is mediocre again?

Chicago doesn’t belong in that conversation:

LW C RW
    Nick Schmaltz Jonathan Toews Richard Panik
    Artemi Panarin Artem Anisimov Patrick Kane
    Tomas Jurco Tanner Kero Marian Hossa
    Ryan Hartman Marcus Kruger Jordin Tootoo

Two very good lines and Hossa propping up the 3rd.

119. Lloyd B. says:

HUNTER1909
    CHACHI
    WOODGUY V2.0

Every funny guy needs a straight man.

I certainly put that on a Tee. Well done.

120. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

kinger_OIL:

– Who said Chia is mediocre again?

– On paper, but we are at 60 games and these guys aren’t 20 year olds. They are running out of time. Not saying they can’t do it, they have looked better of late, but I think you are right that another Austin will be gone this summer if they don’t figure it out now.

121. vinotintazo says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

True, combine that with challenging Petry aaaaaaand ……you get McDavid… lol

Thank you MacT I guess.

122. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

vinotintazo:
    NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

True, combine that with challenging Petry and you get McDavid… lol

Indeed!!

123. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

JDï™:
    JDï™,

From today’s practice update:

Drake Caggiula, Jujhar Khaira and Anton Slepyshev were wearing grey jerseys.

Hendritch and Pak it is, then.

Good gord. It’s like we want the challenge of playing with one arm tied behimd our backs.

124. Chachi says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: I did. Mediocre among NHL GMs. That’s select company. Nothing wrong with being mediocre among the world’s best. That puts you top 20 in the world.

“Mediocre” is quite the improvement from “unadulterated shit show”.

125. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Woodguy v2.0: Chicago doesn’t belong in that conversation:

LWCRW
    Nick SchmaltzJonathan ToewsRichard Panik
    Artemi PanarinArtem AnisimovPatrick Kane
    Tomas JurcoTanner KeroMarian Hossa
    Ryan HartmanMarcus KrugerJordin Tootoo

Two very good lines and Hossa propping up the 3rd.

Chicago is killing it in no small part that their Dcorps is:

Keith-Seabrook
    Oduya-Hjalmarsson
    Campbell-van Reimsdyk

Ekblad still hasn’t shown much away from Campbell and he’s playing 3rd in CHI.

That’s deep.

126. kinger_OIL says:

Woodguy v2.0,

– Did you really quality your statement with : “if we didn’t have McD”? then say even with McD?

– I see a lot of hot garbage 3rd lines. And I say our 2nd line is better on paper than virtually all you site

– And McD!

– I think this is a much closer to Stanley Cup team right now than many here appreciate.

127. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy v2.0,

I won’t quote your long post but I will reply to it. Brilliant sleuthing by you & brilliant coaching by Mike Sullivan. I’m kinda between you & Georges on this matter but am thoroughly enjoying the thread.

Schultz didn’t get brilliant coaching in Edmonton, or else he got such unbrilliant managing that his coaches had no other options that weren’t even worse than first-pairing minutes for Schultz, right from Day One.

Even McLellan felt that urge for a while, skating Schultz a minimum of 22 minutes in each of his first 7 games before scaling him back. By the time of his trade he had played as much as 22 minutes just twice in his last 15 games here. His season ATOI of 20:08 before the trade was his lowest in 4 years as an Oiler. But the damage was done and even in a more sheltered role Schultz was ineffective.

With the clean slate in Pittsburgh Sullivan dialled him way, way back. Not just third pairing minutes but “weak third pairing” minutes. Lots of time in the press box at first, but also hockey in May & June for the first time in his life. It wasn’t until late November and his 55th game as a Penguin that Schultz finally hit the 20-minute mark for the first time. which is to say, still under his *A*TOI of any of his first three seasons in Edmonton under a succession of rookie coaches.

128. John Chambers says:

I was amazed to see that “Jultz” is roughly a ppg player over the past 50 games, and in Letang’s absence has been leading the Pens’ D in TOI.

Not quite Norris level, but it shouldn’t surprise if he finishes top-10 in voting.

129. Bruce McCurdy says:

Follow-up to that comment: Schultz would play 8 more games in the teens after that one 20-minute night. Then Letang got hurt and the next game JS played 27+ minutes in a scoreless-into-overtime game vs the Kings. That was the first of what has become a 27-of-32 run of 20+ minute games, a few near misses, & one injury-shortened game. Letang played half of those 32 games which suggests that Schultz has worked his way into the second pairing, Letang or no Letang.

Note: AutoINcorrect turns “Letang” into “Let’s go” which at least has a shred of truth embedded in it.

130. ashley says:

If the Oilers make it, when would their first two home games be (most likely)? The week of April 17 or April 24?

131. stevezie says:

I honestly think not enough is made of Schultz, His career would made an excellent book.

His AHL season was amazing. People scoffed at it being evidence of a player, as he was playing with Hall, Ebs and Nuge. So was every other D man on the team. Most teams were slightly loaded that summer, Schultz was the only D to be putting up historic (historic!) numbers.

Oh, and as far as the being carried by the kids, he was outscoring Nuge and keeping perfect pace with Ebs.

And yet he sucked so much in the NHL. This wasn’t a player in “the wrong situation”, showing regular flashes of talent and constantly seeming like he could shine elsewhere. It was a guy who skated well and could stickhandle above average and that’s it. Not a good passer. not a good thinker, not good defensively, famously worthless point shot, not a great PP QB… He sucked. Boy did he suck.

And now he’s good again. When he first arrived with the Pens he still mostly sucked, but he could be a passable #7. Within six months he is what everyone who saw him in college and the A always thought he could be. Just as his sucking wass real and spectacular, s is his reent goodness. As has been pointed out he is no longer the sheltered #7 being spotted soft comp, he is playing 20+ and scoring like its going out of style (which it is).

When the book comes out I’ll read it.

132. VOR says:

LT,

I have to say I think you have the wrong volume shooter. You keep saying Kurri but I think you might want to consider that other iconic right wing. Shot every bit as much as Kurri, sometimes more but brought some really useful intangibles to the table. You know, the psycopath of whom Larry Robinson said, “going into the corner with him is like going into a corner with a octopus, if the octopus is armed with a machete and a baseball bat.” If you are going to insist on playing place and chase then get McDavid a right wing who is the model for every great place and chase player. Blinding speed, great anticipation, and a demon on the forecheck. Not to mention he had that satanic pact with the NHL refs that unless he showed them his victim’s spleen they wouldn’t call any penalties against him.

133. Bruce McCurdy says:

Last time I was in a pizza parlour there were four size of pizza and the smallest size was labelled “medium”. Back in my century such words used to actually mean something.

134. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Bruce McCurdy: I thought “mediocre” had been corrupted into meaning “sub par” the same way “average skater” means “too slow” and “.500 team” now means “out of contention”. There is no middle anymore.

Hmm, you could be right. Not what I meant, but even when I first said that, I also explained I meant average to slightly abovr average at the NHL level and that he was miles better than what we had before.

I also said I do not want to fire him; we won’t easily find someone better.

I could have used a better word.

Then again, the etymology of the word is “medius” – middle + “ocris” -rugged mountain.

Thus it seems the perfect word to describe a team climbing out of the Valley of the Shadow of Death and trying to summit Mt. Olympus, no?

135. JDï™ says:

stevezie: When the book comes out I’ll read it.

It will be Giller worthy.

136. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Let’s go played half of those 32 games which suggests that Schultz has worked his way into the second pairing, Letang or no Letang.

Thanks for the kind words in your earlier post Bruce.

As for “2nd pair” it depends on what you mean by that.

If we look at the DAL game that I posted earlier we see this for 5v5 TOI:

Dumoulin 21:03
    Hainsey 21:01
    Schultz 19:31
    Cole 17:40
    Ruwedel 16:40
    Gaunce 13:10

Pretty clear that he played 2nds with Cole right?

Nope.

Schultz TOI vs Dmen

Gaunce 11:19
    Cole 5:01
    Hainsey 1:55
    Dumoulin 1:13
    Ruhwendal 0:01

Cole and Ruhwendal played 11:33 together.

Cole vs Benn 4:19
    Ruhwendal vs Benn 3:30
    Schultz vs Benn 4:12
    Gaunce vs Benn 1:13

Huh.

So even though Schultz played 11:19 with Gaunce and 4:12 vs Benn, Gaunce only played 1:13 vs Benn.

So it looks like Cole-Ruhwendal was the “2nd pair” in terms of QoC, but not in terms of TOI.

I have no doubt that Schultz-Cole took some shifts together as well.

Fun stuff.

Schultz gets a lot of TOI, but they still work like hell to shelter him so “2nd pair” in terms of TOI, but maybe not always via QoC.

137. Bruce Wayne says:

kinger_OIL:
    Woodguy v2.0,

– I see a lot of hot garbage 3rd lines.And I say our 2nd line is better on paper than virtually all you site

– And McD!

The Oilers third line is hot garbage too. All three players on it are, or have been, waiver bait. And the second line is nothing to right home about. Minnesota has a better third line than the Oilers second.

The Oilers have dreadful depth up front. The proof of this is the expansion draft, where the Oilers aren’t going to lose anyone worth worrying about because they don’t have anyone on their third or fourth lines even an expansion team would want.

138. Bruce Wayne says:

stevezie:

When the book comes out I’ll read it.

This can’t be repeated enough. In Schultz’ first few games he was all over the ice, and in a good way. I thought he might be their best player. Then, slowly, all the good was coached out of him, leaving him with nothing but the bad.

By the end he was one of the worst hockey players (non-Reinhart division) I had ever seen, mishandling puck after puck at the blue line with his goddamn loafing, making terrible pass after terrible pass, a puck moving defender who was back at moving the puck.

There is more to this story than usage.

139. Georges says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Still not seeing it.

TOI % vs Elite F (remember, this is just F, not D)
    Crosby 36%
    Malkin 32%
    Letang 38%
    Schultz 25% (was 19% at one point)

If he was at 19% at one point and 25% now, then there’s a period of time in which he had to have been higher than 25%. You posted an observation on Schultz’s easy minutes in late December. I see his EV TOI started to increase in mid-Dec. If we split it evenly, he’s been playing 31% vs. Elite F since mid-Dec. to get to a 25% average overall. Is that still so sheltered?

The NYI game happened on Oct. 27. It was a home game.

The BOS game must have been one of the two home games. Malkin didn’t play on the road in Boston.

The DAL game that just happened was a home game.

So 3 home games in which PIT controls the matchup. Define random.

That’s too glib. What I’m pointing out is that he can’t get to a 25% overall from a 19% start without seeing some uncomfortable matchups. If I scroll through the games and they’re mostly like this, something is wrong with the numbers you provided.

Managing in-game match ups is what coaches mostly do during a game.

Why, in the examples you used, is PIT able to get exactly the matchup it’s looking for with Schultz? What’s the other coach doing? If Schultz is an easy mark against Elite, shouldn’t he see non-stop Elite?

Let’s see what happens on the road where the opponent has more control of the matchup.

Schultz’s 5v5 GF% breakdown for Home and Road:

Home
    GP 33
    TOI 530:43
    GF% 68.0
    Rel TM +14.0

Away
    GP 29
    TOI 466:12
    GF% 54.8
    Rel TM +4.1

Overall
    GF% 62.0
    Rel. TM +9.7

So, his relative results are not as good on the road where PIT doesn’t have an edge in the matchup. He’s still winning but not as much. This (along with your 3 random home games) seems to support the idea that Schultz is looking better than he is at this stage because PIT is getting good matchups for him at home.

Why should that count against Schultz? Why is it important to “play the toughs” when, by definition, the best you can do against the toughs is break even? Elite players can’t make hay against elite players. If they did, you would need to relabel players or define a new, super-elite category.

Elite players make hay against lesser players. That’s what Schultz is doing. You just happen to have him in the (I’m assuming) soft middle rather than the elite group. Is he still in the Dregs???

The TOI for Schultz with Malkin and Crosby in the 3 games is revealing.

Coaches will play their edges.

The first couple of games you listed, Schultz didn’t see a lot of TOI with Crosby/Malkin. I’m assuming the BOS game is the home game in mid-Dec. That’s around the time the Schultz takeover started. He played about 15 minutes in that game.

Look at the TOI for Schultz with the two superstars by the time he played the DAL game on Feb. 28th.

When you see a change like that, do you think the PIT coaching staff has down arrows next to Schultz’s name on their player chart?

140. 106 and 106 says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

TJ looks like he would fit the shooter target pretty well.

UFA made $4.15 on his last few years x 5 and is 30 years old.

Too old for the cluster? Or another big UFA splash like pooch.

Would spell Eberle ending to make $$$ work.

141. frjohnk says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Thanks for the kind words in your earlier post Bruce.

As for “2nd pair” it depends on what you mean by that.

If we look at the DAL game that I posted earlier we see this for 5v5 TOI:

Dumoulin 21:03
    Hainsey 21:01
    Schultz 19:31
    Cole 17:40
    Ruwedel 16:40
    Gaunce 13:10

Pretty clear that he played 2nds with Cole right?

Nope.

Schultz TOI vs Dmen

Gaunce 11:19
    Cole 5:01
    Hainsey 1:55
    Dumoulin 1:13
    Ruhwendal 0:01

Cole and Ruhwendal played 11:33 together.

Cole vs Benn 4:19
    Ruhwendal vs Benn 3:30
    Schultz vs Benn 4:12
    Gaunce vs Benn 1:13

Huh.

I have no doubt that Schultz-Cole took some shifts together as well.

Fun stuff.

Very interesting stuff.

I wonder if when Schultz does play against the toughs, its mostly when the team is farthest away from the Pens net, like an Ozone faceoff /when they have possession in the ozone or at least when the puck is dumped in the opposing end.

And if he does start in his own zone, its probably rare that he is out against the best players.

I always thought Schultz had some incredible talents but with his warts was not probably coached/used properly. Would have been interesting to see what kind of Dman Schultz would be now if was correctly slotted on a team that could shelter and mentor him properly when he first broke in

142. spoiler says:

VOR:
    LT,

Wasn’t he a LHS? Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

143. PhrankLee says:

Fuck this schedule.

144. russ99 says:

Re: Schultz:

Dallas Eakins messed up a lot of young hockey players.

Thanks, MacT. That hotel meeting must have been real persuasive.

145. spoiler says:

Judging by the Twitverse today, something called “Game of Thrones Season 7” appears to be generating a modicum of excitement. It has seasons. It has ice. There appears to be sticks. But no hockey.

146. spoiler says:

russ99:
    Re: Schultz:

Dallas Eakins messed up a lot of young hockey players.

Thanks, MacT. That hotel meeting must have been real persuasive.

I think we’re unnecessarily over-complicating things here. Surely there’s a simpler narrative.

147. PhrankLee says:

russ99:
    Re: Schultz:

Dallas Eakins messed up a lot of young hockey players.

Thanks, MacT. That hotel meeting must have been real persuasive.

I was thinking about that situation the other morning and I still cannot get my head around what a knee-jerk series of baffling decisions were made all at once.

Has to be one of the hugest boners ever pulled by an Edmonton GM.

Sheesh. So humiliating but it sums up the kind of decision making the ‘smartest guys in the room’, as LT puts it, were prone to.

It was at an institutional level at that time.

148. hunter1909 says:

spoiler: I think we’re unnecessarily over-complicating things here.Surely there’s a simpler narrative.

Sure there is.

MacT is a fool.

149. hunter1909 says:

PhrankLee: It was at an institutional level at that time.

“Institutional” = perfect choice of words.

As in mental institution.

150. VOR says:

spoiler,

Yes a left hander who played right wing. Kind of a backwards Russian. Given that he lived to make that savage cut to the net and run over the goaltender it may have been useful in some ways to be wrong handed.

151. spoiler says:

VOR: Kind of a backwards Russian

I think he would appreciate that compliment.

Andy’s style fits the modern game more than Jari’s, IMO. Although we still have OV utilizing the static shooting spot.

152. spoiler says:

hunter1909: Sure there is.

MacT is a fool.

You had me at hello MacT.

#showmethewilliammunney

153. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Georges,

Elite players make hay against the Elite.

We happy to have players who saw off against the Elite.

As for “count against Schultz”: People are talking about him being one of the best Dmen in the league this year. He’s not even close.

He’s a gifted offensive player who skates and passes very well and makes a ton of hay with Elite players in a sheltered role on a top 5 team in the NHL.

Karlsson, Keith, Hedman, these are players who make hay vs the best.

Schultz is good for what he is, which is the same thing I’ve been saying for years a high end offensive 3rd pairing Dman. 1PP, 3rd pair.

Yandle-light
    Del-Zotto heavy

Define random.

I picked two games after PIT’s games loaded up assuming Letang had played both (he hadn’t) then I took one lately because I knew Letang was out.

I picked teams with an easy clear cut elite player(s) so that wouldn’t be an issue.

Yes, his TOI% vs Elites is going up.

It has to with all the injuries they have.

Still doesn’t mean the coach doesn’t work his ass off to put him in the right spot. (see DAL game from last week)

Good coach.

154. Professor Q says:

VOR:
    spoiler,

Tarasenko is backwards?

155. Woodguy v2.0 says:

VOR,

spoiler,

Are you two cool kids gonna let the rest of us in on the winger’s name?

156. admiralmark says:

Georges,

Elite players make hay against the Elite.

We happy to have players who saw off against the Elite.

As for “count against Schultz”: People are talking about him being one of the best Dmen in the league this year.He’s not even close.

Karlsson, Keith, Hedman, these are players who make hay vs the best.

Schultz is good for what he is, which is the same thing I’ve been saying for years a high end offensive 3rd pairing Dman.1PP, 3rd pair.

Yandle-light
    Del-Zotto heavy

Define random.

Yes, his TOI% vs Elites is going up.

It has to with all the injuries they have.

Good coach.

So basically a Tyson Barrie. We gave up on a Tyson Barrie. I know in the end he was done here BUT this is not how to build a winner.

157. Georges says:

On the Schultz posts today, I’m just sorting out the genuine surprise I felt while watching him play last night and then looking up his numbers. I understand that by the time he left, management’s hand was likely forced and that the Oilers likely would not have been able to access the player that Schultz has become. But I think there are many lessons here, not the least of which is the advantage that a good team has in making deals with a bad team. A bad team has to imagine that every player they deal for is going to change the team’s fortunes. A good team has the luxury of imagining how being on their roster can change the player’s fortunes.

Separating a player from his context is one of the trickiest things to do in hockey. I think PIT has shown (not just with Schultz) they know how to do this.

Next time around, I hope the Oilers play the role of PIT in the Schultz deal and take way more than the trade partner thinks it’s giving up.

158. VOR says:

Woodguy,

We are talking about Glenn (Andy) Anderson. I think and it sounds like possibly spoiler agrees, that Anderson might be a better fit for the modern game, and in my case I think for the place and chase. So I am saying we should be adding to looking for volume shooting that the player has rocket boots for skates, a very nasty attitude, and super forechecking skills. That is the template for a modern forward.

159. Woodguy v2.0 says:

VOR:
    Woodguy,

Thanks

160. digger50 says:

JDï™: And King McDavid had his hair cut!

</blockquote

Is he bringing back the "tuft"?

161. What did Penguins get right about Justin Schultz that Oilers couldn’t figure out? | Edmonton Journal says:

[…] How has Sullivan done it? For the details-oriented, Oilogosphere icon and analytics whiz Darcy “Woodguy” McLeod drilled down on the coach’s deployment of Schultz here. […]