THE WHL AND THE OILERS (FREE AGENT EDITION 2017)

The Edmonton Oilers have been known to sign undrafted CHL players to NHL contracts (Braden Christoffer) and AHL-only deals (Josh Winquist, Jaedon Descheneau) and I think we may see one or more this summer. If you look at the Condors projected lineup for next year, it is pretty clear the team is going to need some help up front. I looked at things last season here, and let’s start with a projection of the 2017-18 Condors.

2017-18 BAKERSFIELD CONDORS (PROJECTED)

• Goal: Nick Ellis
  • Left Defense: Dillon Simpson, Ben Betker, Caleb Jones
  • Right Defense: Mark Fayne, Ethan Bear, Ryan Mantha
  • Center: Kyle Platzer
  • Left Wing: Joey Laleggia, Braden Christoffer
  • Right Wing: Patrick Russell, Greg Chase

There is clearly a need to add talent. Edmonton has all manner of RFA and UFA talent, and it makes sense that Jordan Oesterle signs, but there are also question marks. Anton Lander? Iiro Pakarinen? Lots of things up in the air. Even a player like Mark Fayne, who I have listed, seems unlikely to return.

The Oilers have been aggressive in signing Ryan Mantha already and we have discussed some college free agents as possibles, but what about CHL kids? Let’s have a look at the WHL today.

WHL FREE-AGENT CANDIDATES

1. R Tyler Wong, Lethbridge Hurricanes. A small (5.09, 170) forward who has two-way skills and no fear. Over 50 goals and 100 points, I imagine there will be competition for him.
  2. L Dawson Leedahl, Regina Pats. Big, rugged winger with skill and good speed. Came over from Everett and blossomed. He is 6.02, 194 and went 71gp, 35-54-89, 121pims. Sounds like a Chiarelli type.
  3. L Tyler Coulter, Brandon Wheat Kings. Sturdy (6.0, 209) winger with skill (30 goals) and speed, he is a shooter and that has to be a priority for the Oilers.
  4. L Evan Polei, Red Deer Rebels. A big man (6.02, 227) who improved as his WHL career went along. Scored 30+ this past season.
  5. R Chad Butcher, Medicine Hat Tigers. Small winger (5.10, 172) was a Penticton invite one year ago. Speed main weapon, he posted more than 100 points this year.
  6. C Austin Glover, Red Deer Rebels. A 6.02, 187 center with good speed and two-way reputation.
  7. R Zak Zborosky, Lethbridge Hurricanes. Good speed and skill, 41-goals this season.
  8. RD Aaron Irving, Everett Silvertips. The signing of Ryan Mantha makes it less likely for Irving to sign with the Oilers or Condors, but I bet he gets a deal somewhere.
  9. L Dominic Zwerger, Spokane Chiefs. Another winger with speed and skill, 75 points on the season.
  10. C Lane Bauer, Kamloops Blazers. I always liked him, smart center plays a responsible game.
  11. LD Chase Harrison, Regina Pats. He is 6.01, 185 and has two-way skills. Played on a strong team this year and that skewed the numbers, but he is a candidate for a pro deal.

We’ll have a look at the OHL and QMJHL in the coming days.

46 Responses to "THE WHL AND THE OILERS (FREE AGENT EDITION 2017)"

1. Woodguy v2.0 says:

DTMAboutHeart’s WAR measure for Dmen:

Top 5

Hedman
    Karlsson
    Klefbom
    Ekman-Larsson
    Ellis

2. Professor Q says:

Woodguy v2.0,

What of their PEACE measure?

3. B.C.B says:

LT,

Do you think the Oilers can add either (or hopefully both) of Ziyat Paigin or William-Lagesson to the Condors next year? Could it look something like this:

Left Defense: Dillon Simpson, Ben Betker, Caleb Jones, Ziyat Paigin, William-Lagesson
    Right Defense: Mark Fayne, Ethan Bear, Ryan Mantha, [Aaron Irving – hopefully]

That is a decent AHL D core for next year, but I think it is too young for a GM as old school as Chiarelli.
    I would rather just bring back Fanye rather than sign Jordan Oesterle. I don’t think Oesterle is a prospect anymore, and is a talented journeyman AHL player. Also, I think Fayne is a better player than Oesterle at both the NHL & AHL levels. If bringing back Fayne stops us from wasting money with a buyout in 2018-19 season, and/or signing either a Mark Frazer or an Oesterle for the 2017-18 then great. Better than great. I would rather sign Aaron Irving as more RH depth to shore up our prospects than sign a veteran AHL defenseman.

4. Jethro Tull says:

Professor Q:
    Woodguy v2.0,

What of their PEACE measure?

If you want PEACE, then prepare for WAR.

5. Chachi says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    DTMAboutHeart’s WAR measure for Dmen:

Top 5

Hedman
    Karlsson
    Klefbom
    Ekman-Larsson
    Ellis

Holy Swedes. Man they birth good d-men there.

6. GMB3 says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    DTMAboutHeart’s WAR measure for Dmen:

Top 5

Hedman
    Karlsson
    Klefbom
    Ekman-Larsson
    Ellis

7. flyfish1168 says:

Tkachuk just threw a suspension worthy elbow on Doughty.

8. spoiler says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    DTMAboutHeart’s WAR measure for Dmen:

Top 5

Hedman
    Karlsson
    Klefbom
    Ekman-Larsson
    Ellis

So what you’re saying is… we need to get Ellis.

Like that bald guy on TV says, “Make it so!”

9. Chachi says:

flyfish1168:
    Tkachuk just threw a suspension worthy elbow on Doughty.

Someone will fix him soon and it will be wonderful to see.

10. npanciroli says:

flyfish1168,

It was really bad.

11. flyfish1168 says:

Chachi: Someone will fix him soon and it will be wonderful to see.

Well make it soon.

12. Rich M says:

npanciroli:
    flyfish1168,

It was really bad.

It was filthy. I’m not a King’s fan, but those kinds of hits have no business in hockey.

13. Melvis says:

I’m not watching Phlegms/Kings, although I hope LA kicks butt. Very little irks me more than Johnny Gaudreau this and that. He should just shorten his name. You know, to Johnnygaudreau. And where did that Mr. Hockey tag come from anyway? That’s a hell of a lot of branding for a dude who isn’t selling premium seats at MSG.

And then there’s Kelly “3drawers” Hrudey. What’s the over/under on tighty /whitey changes tonight?

And while I’m at it and that lefty mensch…Johnny Mensch caught for the Reds. Although he threw and batted right. But lets keep politics out of this. As for his hands…

Okay, I’m off to Comedians in Cars for some decent material.

14. dustrock says:

spoiler: So what you’re saying is… we need to get Ellis.

Like that bald guy on TV says, “Make it so!”

I’ve wanted Ellis for years.

15. Chachi says:

flyfish1168: Well make it soon.

If the score gets out of hand for Calgary it might be this game.

16. Woodguy v2.0 says:

GMB3: Barrie and Ekholm are also in the top 30?? Thought the verbal on Barrie wasn’t great

Lots of people like Barrie.

I think DTM’s metric either overweights offence or underweights shot suppression more than i.

17. spoiler says:

Looks like Tkachuk is going to be in trouble again.

18. Melvis says:

Lax…they’ve gone golfing.

19. Dicky94 says:

Johnny Cockey putting on a cherry pickin clinic tonight.

20. Chachi says:

Dicky94:
    Johnny Cockey putting on a cherry pickin clinic tonight.

He blows the zone so early the vice squad is going to put him away for corrupting a minor.

21. Woodguy v2.0 says:

spoiler:
    Looks like Tkachuk is going to be in trouble again.

Did he get in trouble for his bullshit before?

22. stevezie says:

The fun thing about Ellis is I think if he were on another team he would look even more valuable. He’s not getting powerplay time ahead of Weber or Subban, (or Josi but Josi is lh) but he would be the #1 pp D on a lot of NHL teams. Like ours.

At least I think he would. I may be giving too much weight to his jr career.

23. JDï™ says:

Woodguy v2.0,

I think the refs glared at him once.

24. Professor Q says:

dustrock: I’ve wanted Ellis for years.

Dan or Ryan?

25. Professor Q says:

flyfish1168:
    Tkachuk just threw a suspension worthy elbow on Doughty.

It’s Tkatchuk though. He’ll probably get away with it.

26. flyfish1168 says:

Professor Q: It’s Tkatchuk though. He’ll probably get away with it.

27. Professor Q says:

Another controversial Blackhawks non-offside call.

I wish they had this much news about how many goals were taken away from Edmonton, and Kassian in particular!

EDIT: Yes, I can see how I come off as a broken record. My apologies.

28. Professor Q says:

flyfish1168: He better not or the NHL will look bad. Head shot with intention should not go unnoticed.

And then the Kings player took him out with a clothes line right after. Yikes.

And he has the audacity to look back and smirk when off to the bench. What a dick head.

29. Ronald Chevalier says:

They play each other 2 more times, could get interesting. Hopefully he gets whats coming to him.

30. spoiler says:

Woodguy v2.0: Did he get in trouble for his bullshit before?

Official trouble from the NHL? Nothing that I know of, other than perhaps an unofficial phone call. But he has been suspended by the OHL, the Flames coaching staff claims they’ve talked to him, obviously he is in trouble with fans and players of other teams… who knows how the PA deals with this stuff internally. His Dad’s probably proud of him though.

31. JDï™ says:

spoiler: who knows how the PA deals with this stuff internally.

It’s just bewildering that any worker’s union would condone intent to injure of a fellow worker.

What are the H&S meetings like for the NHLPA? I’d love to hear the report of injuries and near misses…

Mr Doughty experienced a near-miss incident when Mr Tkacooke elbowed him in the face. No lost time to report though.

32. spoiler says:

JDï™,

Agreed. But like a lot of worker unions, H&S is likely not a true priority.

33. JDï™ says:

spoiler: H&S is likely not a true priority.

I once worked for CP Rail, so yes I know.

But of all the flagrant violations I’ve seen, none involved other workers elbowing another in the face. To put the NHLPA under the scrutiny of any other occupation’s H&S, would be a farce.

34. HT Joe says:

I didn’t see the game, but find it interesting that Tkachuk registered 0 hits tonight. If he didn’t even hit a player, how could he possibly be penalized or suspended.

*hmfff*

35. Bruce McCurdy says:

Tkacooke. I like it.

I also like Calgary taking out the trash Kings, especially in regulation. Don’t want those guys getting any ideas of a late season streak. First order of business IMO is to drop one of the teams from the top 9. The rest will look after itself.

Of course the Oil can take a giant step by beating the Kings themselves tomorrow. Huge game.

36. JDï™ says:

Bruce McCurdy: Huge game

YUUUUUUUUUUGE.

I’m a supporter.

37. Professor Q says:

JDï™: YUUUUUUUUUUGE.

I’m a supporter.

It’s going to be Nuuuuuge!

38. Chachi says:

JDï™: YUUUUUUUUUUGE.

I’m a supporter.

Easy.

39. Bruce McCurdy says:

Professor Q:
    Another controversial Blackhawks non-offside call.

Explanation of offside review from NHL: video was deemed inconclusive because Go Hawks Go

40. Bruce Wayne says:

In one year Tkachuk already has the reputation as the dirtiest player in the league.

And yet he has never been suspended by the NHL. Indeed, I wouldn’t be surprised if there were many people within the NHL who like how he plays.

That tells you all you need to know about the culture of the NHL.

41. GMB3 says:

Bruce Wayne:

And yet he has never been suspended by the NHL.Indeed, I wouldn’t be surprised if there were many people within the NHL who like how he plays.

That tells you all you need to know about the culture of the NHL.

Throwback to the good ole days of no nudity on tv, institutionalized racism, and glorifying goonery in the NHL

42. spoiler says:

JDï™,

Yeah, good point, I worked for one, once upon a time too… H&S might not be too concerning but injuring other members certainly would be.

Edit:
    Of course it isn’t the job of “real-world” union members to run into each other, either, but if you are truly concerned about this aspect of the game, a line has to be drawn.

43. Professor Q says:

Is a Reverse Hit the NHL’s version of Reverse Racism now?

““He’s a pretty dirty player, that kid,” said Doughty, per LA Kings Insider.

“To be a rookie and play like that is a little surprising. I don’t know exactly what happened because I got hit in the head, but I thought he elbowed me. I can’t tell you for sure, so I’m not going to really say if I think anything should happen, but whatever it was, it hurt pretty bad, and it’s going to hurt for a little bit.”

When asked about the incident, Calgary coach Glen Gulutzan naturally said he hadn’t seen a replay, but from the bench, it appeared to be what he called a “reverse hit.””

44. Bruce Wayne says:

If the NHL were serious about this kind of thing they would set the minimum suspension at 5 or 10 games. A 2 game suspension is nothing. It matters not at all in the world. A 10 game suspension, on the other hand, matters.

The other thing I don’t understand is why players don’t take more into their own hands. Once Tkachuk went down on that play someone could have pummeled him in the face but they did basically nothing. If you use your fists you probably won’t even be punished.

I can only conclude that neither the NHL nor the players think stuff like this is a real problem.

45. Bruce Wayne says:

And since Tkachuk is also a pretty good player, you can also count on his reputation being reformed without him changing anything about his behaviour. You can see this with Marchand right now.

In fact, what seems to upset people isn’t the cheap shots, it is that he is a rookie. His sin isn’t the relentless attempts to injure, it is that he doesn’t show the proper respect to his elders.

The morality of the NHL is all messed up.

46. Professor Q says:

Bruce Wayne,

Agreed with all of the above.