CONDORS IN A CLOSE RACE

It’s all hands on deck for the Bakersfield Condors right now, as the playoff race is coming down to the wire in the AHL Pacific. A loss to Manitoba on Tuesday night has the Stockton Heat within two points of Bakersfield for the final playoff spot in the division.

Coach Gerry Fleming wasn’t pleased with the parade to the penalty box, as described in this story by Mike Griffith for Bakersfield.com. Interesting item at the end of that piece, and confirmed by StatenIslandlive.com: New signing Joe Gambardella will join the Condors right away for the stretch drive. He will come in on a PTO, as his contract won’t kick in until next season.

CONDORS LINES FROM LAST NIGHT (MARCH SCORING)

1. Joey Laleggia (11, 4-7-11); Anton Lander (11, 5-7-12); Jesse Puljujarvi (11, 3-5-8)
  2. Jaedon Descheneau (11, 4-5-9); Josh Currie (11, 4-2-6); Justin Fontaine (9, 2-6-8)
  3. Scott Allen (11, 1-2-3); Brodie Dupont (11, 0-4-4); Patrick Russell (11, 2-2-4)
  4. Braden Christoffer (6, 3-0-3); Mark Olver (8, 0-3-3); Greg Chase (10, 2-4-6)

There are several prospects who are showing well right now, including Joey Laleggia, Jesse Puljujarvi and Greg Chase. Even Braden Christoffer has shown some signs of life.

Ryan Rishaug’s tweet last night caught my interest, and now Jouni Nieminen has an article up that offers a hint about it. I do think there’s a chance we see Puljujarvi up here by the end of the season. All of Iiro Pakarinen, Jujhar Khaira and Anton Slepyshev have received playing time recently, and we could see a Puljujarvi recall any day now.

84 Responses to "CONDORS IN A CLOSE RACE"

1. Centre of attention says:

Lots of respect for Rishaug but thats a garbage tweet. Hes really dissapointed me this season with his unfounded and unfair analysis. (Who has he not tried running out of town?)

Slepshev was fully engaged on the boards, hammering guys and skating miles. Its too bad hes playing with a boat anchor at even strength. (letestu is good on special teams but beyond the pale during regular play)

I want to see Sleppy and for that matter Caggulia as well with a center who can skate.

Just my 2 cents.

2. frjohnk says:

The City of Edmonton and Oiler fans will be going bonkers come playoff time.

I bet management would like to give JP a taste of what playoff hockey in Edmonton will be like. It will be an amazing experience for him even if he does not play much or at all. JP will be an important piece for this team moving forward so I see them bringing him up to be a part of this.

3. jake70 says:

Just listened to the intro LT from hour 1 today, loved it. Loved the Tulopov/Eager part…haha.

jake70:
    Just listened to the intro LT from hour 1 today, loved it.Loved the Tulopov/Eager part…haha.

It was too long, but the only thing I could possibly have taken out was that part. I loved it too much to cut it. 🙂

5. jake70 says:

Lowetide: It was too long, but the only thing I could possibly have taken out was that part. I loved it too much to cut it.

As I was listening I started imagining you doing a version of Billy Joel’s “We didn’t start the fire” from ’89 I think.

6. The Original JDI says:

jake70: “We didn’t start the tire fire”

Fixed!

And great idea.

7. geowal says:

Centre of attention:

Just my 2 cents.

For what it’s worth the CHED guys were seeing the exact same thing after the first. Specifically the issue is in the defensive end, and they commented on one particularly boneheaded play. I didn’t see, but are you sure you’re not just so enamoured with his offensive zone play that you’re ignoring the deficiency noted here?

8. jake70 says:

The Original JDI: Fixed!

And great idea.

Ha…awesome.

9. The Original JDI says:

Centre of attention: Just my 2 cents.

I like!

10. The Original JDI says:

Interview with newest Condor, Gambardello:

Sounds like he’s a hard working young man.

11. The Original JDI says:

Lowetide: It was too long

I thought it could have been longer.

And as Gord as my witness, I had no idea this was a thing:

Pronger: “Yeah, there’s obviously a few things that didn’t set well with me, for instance, taking the furniture that I had in my house and burning it, and having a ‘Burn Chris Pronger’s Furniture Day,’ that really did sit well with me very much.

12. slopitch says:

Centre of attention,

I remember thinking the same thing as rishaug. Hes been good most of the year but last night lost the puck several times in bad spots. A few hits sure but not enough plays on the puck. Last night anyways. I like the coaching decision to rotate until a guy emerges.

13. Younger Oil says:

The centers in BAK seem to be struggling for offense, Khaira could really help out if the Oilers aren’t playing him.

14. Todd Macallan says:

The Original JDI,

Great interview, very well spoken young man, definition of “says all the right things.” Doesn’t sound like the type of person who would ask for guaranteed NHL games as part of his deal.

15. N64 says:

Truth: A lot of Twitterers seem ecstatic the NHL has decided to release the names of players protected for the upcoming expansion draft. Can someone explain to me why that is apparently such good news?

This information was going to leak out as Vegas attempted deals and GMs told agents correctly or falsely that their player is not in play. Transparency is better and more efficient. All teams know who is unprotected. So they can make deals to not lose an unprotected player or pick up one from another team.

16. N64 says:

The Original JDI: I thought it could have been longer.

And as Gord as my witness, I had no idea this was a thing:

Not a thing:

17. The Original JDI says:

N64,

Sorry, I meant his claim that it happened.

18. Centre of attention says:

slopitch,

geowal,

Hmmm, I didn’t noticed the CHED guys talking about it all that much. To be honest, I haven’t had time to go threw the game again play-by-play but I remember coming away from that game thinking Slepy played fine if a bit quiet.

And I agree, Slepy is not perfect in his own zone. His shot share isn’t great, but he’s also played with a black hole most of the year. And every time he gets a shot with some real skill on his line he fits in perfectly.

I don’t think he’s as suited to a 4th line role as perhaps a Khaira type might be one day, he’s definitely got skill and those flashes I keep seeing tell me he should probably get a look on PP unit 2.

I’m definitely biased as you can tell though. 🙂 Love me some slip-slappy.

19. N64 says:

The Original JDI:
    N64,

Sorry, I meant his claim that it happened.

Probably a radio joke that got to Pronger through Strickland. Trollee or Troll he told Rome it was a thing.

20. geowal says:

Centre of attention,

It was in the 1st intermission, I was driving. I like him too, but has some learning yet. Don’t agree with sending him down, which may or may not be implied by Rishaug

21. The Original JDI says:

N64: Probably a radio joke that got to Pronger through Strickland.

The Paul McCallum incident comes to mind:

22. Woogie63 says:

Centre of attention:
    slopitch,

geowal,

I’m definitely biased as you can tell though. 🙂 Love me some slip-slappy.

I really like Slepyshev’s speed, fore check, puck protection, he still learning the defensive half wall. Last night he was beat a few times in puck battles in his own end.

He has improved miles imo, but still learning defensive hockey. The same could be said of Caggulia.

23. The Original JDI says:

I just heard a new one from a Flames fan, re: Tkacooke:

Yeah, but look at Marchand…

Yeah, because we need more players like that in the league.

🙄

24. Bulging Twine says:

Love these College Free Agent signings. This new kid is like, what, a free 2nd Rounder? 3rd?

25. stush18 says:

I was captaining that slepy boat back in the summer. Really like him. Thought he struggled early yesterday and improved as he played. Which makes sense, he hadn’t played for a while.

Really a good time for slepy, pak, JJ, and cagguilla. Hendricks will be gone, and we are prolly going to lose a forward. Depending on desharnais and pouliot, we are prolly looking at

Maroon-mcdavid-ebs
    Lucic-drai-JP
    Pouliot/caguila-nuge-kassian
    Slepy-JJ/letestu-pak

(Assuming letestu/pouliot is taken)

I hope chiarelli can wheel and deal for players from vegas.

26. stush18 says:

LT, or anyone, do we have more info on garbandjdksm? Besides how to spell his name? Lol

Seems like a really good pickup. NHLE looks impressive, and he sounds like a bit of a puck hound.

Points basically match what cagguilla put up last year.

27. The Original JDI says:

Bulging Twine: free 2nd Rounder? 3rd?

Technically an 8th rounder, since he wasn’t drafted. So just a little lower than Lucic 😉

28. flyfish1168 says:

Not sure if anyone reported this article on Spencer Foo.

So now we have to wonder who it will be

29. Jaxon says:

I liked Slepyshev’s game and his play lately. The Oilers 2nd goal was in a big way due to Slepyshev’s rush down the ice. He carried it from inside the Edmonton blueline all the way behind the Oilers net where he flattened McNabb while carrying the puck and Nuge took over. Then Slepyshev went to the front of the net and screened Quick. I believe he actually had the 3rd assist and did the work to get it deep.

Centre of attention:
    slopitch,

geowal,

I’m definitely biased as you can tell though. 🙂 Love me some slip-slappy.

30. Pescador says:

flyfish1168:
    Not sure if anyone reported this article on Spencer Foo.

So now we have to wonder who it will be

Hopefully Chiarelli takes a shot at the Spencer Foo bar

31. --hudson-- says:

flyfish1168:
    Not sure if anyone reported this article on Spencer Foo.

So now we have to wonder who it will be

He would be nice insurance for 4C in case Vegas takes Letestu. I’ wonder where he would slot in on RW assuming all of Slepy, Puljujarvi, Pitlick are back next season

32. Professor Q says:

Pescador: Hopefully Chiarelli takes a shot at the Spencer Foo bar

33. flyfish1168 says:

–hudson–: Thanks for the link! With his line mate signing today, he’s probably not going to put up better boxcars next season, now is a good time to get a contract. Even if he were to go back, he’s potentially giving up millions of dollars.

He would be nice insurance for 4C in case Vegas takes Letestu.I’ wonder where he would slot in on RW assuming all of Slepy, Puljujarvi, Pitlick are back next season

Plus Kassian

34. OF17 says:

Bulging Twine:
    Love these College Free Agent signings.This new kid is like, what, a free 2nd Rounder?3rd?

If we had drafted him in the 3rd-5th and he followed this career trajectory, I think we’d have to be pleased. So let’s call him a free mid-late round pick that posted up arrows along the way. Descriptions of him remind me a lot of Jujhar Khaira, which is probably the calibre of prospect we’re talking about. Not a bad way to use a contract slot by any means.

35. gogliano says:

Tkachuk leaves feet to try and injure Doughty; gets roughed up a bit; game misconduct and minor for LAK player.

What horseshit.

36. Centre of attention says:

Jaxon:

Agree completely. He has some hustle when the puck is near him.

I’m sure his play away from the puck is the reason they won’t give him the carrot powerplay unit 2 time, but on the other hand Caggulia has been fed 2nd unit time for most of the year regardless of performance.

I get some pretty mean DM’s from people accusing me of being a “McLellan and/or Chiarelli hater/troll” for saying the organization is picking favorites but the proof is in the pudding.

Also, as an aside:
    They keep drafting these skilled Russians and trying to turn them into plugs. Its quite the curious use of assets.

37. jonrmcleod says:

Kings scored. 2-1.

Edit #1: The goal could be reviewed.
    Edit #2: No challenge.

38. Centre of attention says:

flyfish1168:
    Not sure if anyone reported this article on Spencer Foo.

So now we have to wonder who it will be

I also heard Foo played Midget with MacT’s son. (Can’t confirm if true)

Soooo pretty much you can get your Foo jersey printed in your preferred style. Be sure to pick up a home Blue, as they are going out of production next season in favor of the Oranges.

39. N64 says:

Hawks​ walk over Pens.

Kane 2 pts. 5 back.

Crosby 0 pts. 7 back. PPG lead has vanished. .0004.💔

40. The Original JDI says:

gogliano: Tkachuk leaves feet

It’s obvious that he’s undeterred by hits or fights. He needs to lose 5 – 8 weeks with a deep charley horse from a dirty knee.

Paging Mr Brown… Mr Dustin Brown…

41. Todd Macallan says:

Bear with 1g 2a in the first period alone so far already. Continuing to do damage with no Barzal in the lineup.

42. John Chambers says:

jonrmcleod:
    Kings scored. 2-1.

Edit #1: The goal could be reviewed.
    Edit #2: No challenge.

Iginla with the goal to put LA up on Calgary.

Now wouldn’t that be something if Iggy sinks the ‘Lames tonight.

43. OF17 says:

Todd Macallan:

44. Centre of attention says:

Paajarvi looking great tonight again. What a feed to Berglund for the 1-0 goal.

45. Centre of attention says:

N64:
    Hawks​ walk over Pens.

Kane 2 pts. 5 back.

Crosby 0 pts. 7 back. PPG lead has vanished. .0004.

yeah but Darren Dreger says Connor doesn’t have a “Hart-like attitude” so Crosby still wins because intangibles.

*rolls eyes*

46. Centre of attention says:

OF17: So that puts him at a 3/1/5/6 slash in the playoffs so far. Pretty impressive start.

Still, very impressive.

47. delooper says:

Did Hall ever get suspended for his hit on Kassian?

48. jonrmcleod says:

3-1 Kings. Kopitar with the one-timer.

49. Mustard Tiger says:

delooper,

50. Chachi says:

N64:
    Hawks​ walk over Pens.

Kane 2 pts. 5 back.

Crosby 0 pts. 7 back. PPG lead has vanished. .0004.💔

More classic Jultzing tonight.

51. LadiesloveSmid says:

Would love for Anaheim to take off and Calgary to cool down. Calgary never wins at the Honda Centre, and I’d rather play SJ than ANA. Do we want home ice advantage? Oilers seem better on the road

52. gogliano says:

LadiesloveSmid:

Yes, we want home ice. Against the Flames or SJS (Ducks are killing it, not just getting bounces). We’ve done decent on the road but (1) small sample / we’re about even and (2) any team we face has a much better home record than away record.

53. The Original JDI says:

delooper: Looking forward to the next New Jersey – Edmonton game.

Presuming that Kassian hasn’t been lost in the expansion fury, and that Hall hasn’t demanded a trade out of swampville by then, I would fear for Hall’s well being if Kassian gets a chance for revenge.

54. The Original JDI says:

Gordie Howe hat trick for Jerome.

Kings 4, fLames 1.

55. OF17 says:

Centre of attention: According to the Thunderbirds website, he had 2 assists in his first 2 games and with 3 points tonight he now has 5 in 3 games, with time to spare in the third game.

Still, very impressive.

56. dangilitis says:

The Original JDI:
    Gordie Howe hat trick for Jerome.

Kings 4, fLames 1.

I think he’s auditioning for a spot on the Oilers for next season…

57. The Original JDI says:

dangilitis: next season…

I really hope the addition of 23 roster spots hasn’t slowed the league down that much.

58. Centre of attention says:

OF17: Eliteprospects has him at 2GP 3A without tonight accounted for. I don’t know which is right, but either way, that’s impressive.

he has picked up another goal, now 2G 2A tonight and 2G 4A in 3 GP if nothing changes in the next period.

59. dangilitis says:

The Original JDI,

I’m half joking, because I don’t see it happening, but he’d be an upgrade over Hendricks and more importantly it would be lovely to see Calgarians’ reactions…

60. The Original JDI says:

Oilers’ chance against LA: Clinch.

Flames’ chance against LA: Clench.

61. Diablo says:

Centre of attention: Agree completely. He has some hustle when the puck is near him.

Also, as an aside:

Its not about turning him into plug – TMac is trying to develop the guy into someone who can have a 10 year career in the NHL.

Baby steps – let him establish himself as a responsible 2-way winger first – the offensive opportunities will come once he’s mastered that stage. The verbal has always been that TMac is a fan of Slepy.

Biggest difference in the Oiler’s this year according to none other than Doughty, is that everyone on the team plays hard on defence.

Caggiula can take a faceoff – that’s the only reason he’s on the PP2.

62. The Original JDI says:

dangilitis: he’d be an upgrade over Hendricks

In some ways yes, but I’m not certain that he’d be an upgrade over the other potential Hendritch upgrades possible from within the org.

63. Jaxon says:

Centre of attention: Stauffer said the Oilers would be “well positioned” if Foo turned pro just the other day on CHED.

I also heard Foo played Midget with MacT’s son. (Can’t confirm if true)

FYI. Confirmation of Foo playing with MacT’s son, Sean:

Bantam team: http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=5601&year0=2009&status=stats
    Midget team: http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=10626&year0=2010&status=stats

Foo only played 2 games with the Bantam team the year prior when little MacT played 32.

Looks like they were probably top linemates as top 3 scorers on Bantam team and top 2 scorers on Midget team.

Foo and RD Aaron Irving (Nashville) also played together on the Bonneyville Pontiacs in ’12-’13.

64. Rondo says:

Ethan Bear is having a great game tonight.
    2G+ 3A less than 5 minutes left in the game.

65. Chachi says:

Rondo:
    Ethan Bear is havinga greatgame tonight.
    2g+ 2aless than 5 minutes left in the game.

Would you say you are a supporter?

66. Centre of attention says:

Diablo,

I get what you’re saying.

I think Caggulia ranks somewhere around 38-42% in the faceoff circle. Dunno how good of a reason that would be to put him there.

To be fair, actual points wise Caggulia has been great on the powerplay. Let me be clear. That’s been his one strength IMO, with some recent even strength activity as well. Hard to blame the coaching staff for messing with what works.

It’s just that there have been games that Caggulia has been scratched and Slepyshev is playing and still some can’t find his way onto that unit even though Caggulia isn’t even playing to take his place. Makes you think.

67. Pescador says:

Professor Q: He can’t sign him this year then leave him in NCAA next year, right? So unfortunately that means we’ll have to wait until next Spring to see him, if so.

I got time

68. The Original JDI says:

Chachi: Would you say you are a supporter?

Easy.

69. The Original JDI says:

Pescador: I got time

So does Foo. He’ll get to train hard in the off season, while watching the entry and expansion draft drama play out.

70. Chachi says:

The Original JDI: Easy.

That’s correct! The answer we were looking for was “Easy”.

71. The Original JDI says:

Chachi,

Are you sure you weren’t wrong?

72. Chachi says:

The Original JDI:
    Chachi,

Are you sure you weren’t wrong?

Shit, you may be right. I may also be crazy.

73. Bruce McCurdy says:

Damn right it was too long. About ten fucking years too long. You did a fantastic job coring it down to 100 or so keywords.

And out of that decade of Oilering, Kirill Tulupov concussing Ben Eager at the Joey Moss Cup may have been the most Oilery thing ever.

Who was it who said “what harm could possibly come from giving the crazy Russian a tryout?” Can’t remember, but am pretty sure I read it on this blog.

74. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

I learned more about our host’s in-seam tonight than I ever thought I would.

Great segment, sir, and thank you for keeping us afloat all these years.

75. spoiler says:

Thinking about roster management through next bit…

Hendricks and Khaira are both likely to play again before the end of the season. TMac will want to keep as many players in the game as he can.

Benning of course too. And hopefully they can risk another game on Broissoit. We’ll see where we’re at when Van is all that’s left.

Judging by TMac’s past choices, Cags will get to stay in, and the spare wingers will rotate through the other wing. I’d prefer he sat another game; this is a long long season for him.

Maybe the standings are locked into place for the last game and they can sit Letestu & Hendricks, and let the three youngsters have a go together on the 4th.

76. Pouzar says:

I met one of my favorite all time Oilers this AM on my way to work(Todd Marchant). I don’t normally do this type of thing when I see a pro athlete/celebrity but I introduced my self as I was waiting for my walk signal.

He said “Nice to meet you” and “A great day for you guys yesterday!”

I said “it sure was” and wished him well.

He seemed genuinely happy that I noticed him. Very kewl.

77. Pouzar says:

spoiler:
    Thinking about roster management through next bit…

Hendricks and Khaira are both likely to play again before the end of the season.TMac will want to keep as many players in the game as he can.

Benning of course too. And hopefully they can risk another game on Broissoit.We’ll see where we’re at when Van is all that’s left.

Judging by TMac’s past choices, Cags will get to stay in, and the spare wingers will rotate through the other wing.I’d prefer he sat another game; this is a long long season for him.

Wasn’t their some kind of bonus for Slepy that could kick in with 5 or so more games played?

78. Centre of attention says:

Pouzar,

If you don’t mind sharing, which Oiler was it?

79. Pouzar says:

Centre of attention: Todd Marchant

LMAO…I was a tad excited I guess?

Todd Marchant

80. Centre of attention says:

Pouzar,

Yep. But it still doesn’t excuse not giving him even a short look see on the powerplay when he was in the lineup and Caggulia was scratched.

If you’re going to play the kid, put him in a place to succeed IMO.

I’m just happy we are bitching and moaning about the bottom 6 wingers rather than the second line center.

Very pleased with the second line in the last month or so, they’ve had a pretty up and down season (mainly down) but if they can get hot right before the playoffs who knows what we can do once we get in?

There are some good teams in the west, but for the most part they all appear beatable to different degrees from this fans perspective.

81. Pouzar says:

Centre of attention,

I have a feeling Slepy is on an another NHL team in 2 years or in the KHL.

82. Dennis King says:

Centre of attention,

I never had any respect for his hockey opinions and I don’t know why anyone else would