THE OILERS AND THE KINGDOM OF SWEDEN (2017 DRAFT)

As strong as the Oilers were in Finland during the 1980’s, the club was very slow to draw talent from Sweden. In fact, the most successful Swedish Oil picks in team history (GP) are Magnus Paajarvi (309), Anton Lander (215) and Oscar Klefbom (182). All three men were chosen after 2008, meaning Edmonton was very slow to register Sweden on their draft map (Nick Lidstrom was chosen in 1989, Tomas Sandstrom 1982). In 1980, 106 spots after the Oilers drafted Jari Kurri, the Vancouver Canucks took Patrick Sundstrom. The Oilers don’t have a long history of success in Sweden, but it’s mostly because they only recently joined the race.

PLAYERS/PLAYERS FROM SWEDISH LEAGUES DRAFTED BY YEAR

• 2011 NHL draft–9 total players, 1 from the Sweden
  • 2010 NHL draft–11 total players, 1 from the Sweden
  • 2009 NHL draft–7 total players, 2 from the Sweden
  • 2008 NHL draft–5 total players, 0 from the Sweden
  • FINAL TALLY: 70 total players, 7 from the Sweden
  • PERCENTAGE: 10%

The Oilers have drafted 16 Swedish players this century, basically one a year like clockwork. Since 2008, that trend has them at NHL average in drafting from ABBA nation. The interesting thing? The high draft position for a few recent additions like Magnus Paajarvi and Oscar Klefbom. The Oilers are investing valuable gold and silver there.

SWEDISH PLAYERS SINCE 2008

• 2008—Johan Motin (1 NHL game)
  • 2009—Magnus Paajarvi (301 NHL games), Anton Lander (215 NHL games)
  • 2010—
  • 2011—Oscar Klefbom (182 NHL games)
  • 2012—Erik Gustafsson (41 NHL games)
  • 2013—
  • 2014—William Lagesson
  • 2015—
  • 2016—Filip Berglund

The Paajarvi pick looked very good early (he scored 15 as a rookie) but he’s still trying to find his way. I think he will be a productive NHL player for years. Combining speed and complementary scoring(12 goals per 82 games in NHL) with his defensive ability, MP has a lot to offer. The real jewel here is Oscar Klefbom, who has blossomed (77, 12-19-31) this season alongside Adam Larsson. Edmonton has done well with Sweden, should have shopped there sooner.

SWEDEN’S BEST, 2017

1. L Elias Pettersson, Timra (Swe-1). Talented prospect with (probably) more room to grow as a player than anyone in this year’s draft.
  2. RD Timothy Liljegren, Rogle (Swe Jr). Mobile 2-way D, he will go top 5, ahead of Pettersson.
  3. LC Lias Andersson, Linkoping (SHL). Throwback 2-way C, aggressive, quick. 5.11, 200.
  4. L Kristian Vesalainen, Frolunda (SHL). Big W, skilled, strong, can play L or R.
  5. C Jesper Boqvist, Brynas (SHL). Average size, good speed and skill.
  6. LD Erik Brannstrom, HV71 (SHL). Undersized skill defender, outstanding skater.
  7. RC Joni Ikonen, Frolunda (SuperElite). Small skill center with good speed.
  8. R Lukas Elvenes, Rogle (SuperElite). Highly skilled winger, terrific hands.
  9. G Olle Eriksson Ek, Farjestads (SuperElite). Big G. 30gp, 2.16 .924.
  10. R Emil Bemstrom, Leksands (SuperElite). Small, fast winger with skill.
  11. L Rickard Hugg, Leksands (SuperElite). Intelligent two-way winger, playmaking skill.
  12. C Fabian Zetterlund, Farjestad (SuperElite). Smart C, great shot, he is skilled.
  13. RD Gustav Lindstrom, Almtuna IS (Allsvenskan). 6.02, 187 two-way defender.
  14. RD Filip Westerlund, Frolunda (SHL). Impressive passing skills, some chaos on D.
  15. LC Marcus Davidsson, Djurgardens (SHL). Two-way center has some offense, nice range of skills.
  16. W Jonas Rondberg, Vaxjo (Swe Jrs). Smart offensive winger with plus skills, lacks top end finish.
  17. G Adam Ahman, HV71 (SuperElite). 34gp, 2.30 .927. Small for modern goalie.
  18. RD August Berg, Brynas (SuperElite). Speedy defender with skill.
  19. L Filip Sveningsson, HV71 (SuperElite). Scoring winger, average size.
  20. L Tim  Soderlund, Skelleftea (SHL). Small W with some offense, playing part time.
  21. R Jonathan Davidsson, Djurgaden (SHL). Impressive skill W, I’ve ranked him 3 times!
  22. R Philip Ekberg, Frolunda (SuperElite). 6.0, 190, has scored at all levels.
  23. C Kalle Miketinac, Frolunda (SuperElite). Skilled F, can impact offense at current level.
  24. R Marcus Sylvegard, Malmo (SuperElite). Scored 15, haven’t read a thing on him.
  25. L Oliwer Fjellstrom, Frolunda (SuperElite). Small skill winger.
  26. L Hugo Leufvenius, Linkoping (SuperElite). Huge F with some skill.
  27. C Filip Engaras, Skelleftea (SuperElite). Not much on him, but he’s scoring pretty well.
  28. LD Jonathan Asplund, Djurgardens (SuperElite). Big two-way defender.
  29. LD Hugo Danielsson, Skelleftea (SuperElite). Defense first blue with size.
  30. G Arvid Soderblom, Frolunda (SuperElite). 29gp, 2.48 .905.
  31. LD Sebastian Walfridsson, Modo (SuperElite). Good defensive prospect.
  32. LD Henrik Malmstrom, Linkoping (SuperElite). Giant defensive defenseman.

OILERS DRAFT PICKS 2017

• First Round: No. 23 overall
  • Third Round: No. 82 overall (FROM ST. LOUIS—this is payment for Nail Yakupov)
  • Third Round: No. 85 overall
  • Fourth Round: No. 116 overall
  • Fifth Round: No. 128 overall (FROM Vancouver—this is payment for Phil Larsen)
  • Fifth Round: No. 147 overall
  • Sixth Round: No. 178 overall
  • Seventh Round: No. 209 overall

OILERS NEEDS BASED ON CURRENT DEPTH CHART

• Left Wing: The Oilers have veteran LW’s (Patrick Maroon, Milan Lucic, Benoit Pouliot) at the NHL level, and names like Drake Caggiula and Jujhar Khaira currently in utility roles with the big team. The group bubbling under includes Tyler Benson and not much. Benson is a bit of a question mark due to injury.
  • Right Wing: Jesse Puljujarvi was a big get from last year’s draft, but this position needs more help at the draft in June. Anton Slepyshev could be a Godsend if he can grab a job on one of the skill lines and keep it. Somewhat unclear how vulnerable the Oilers are at the position
  • Right Defense: Aggressive procurement of Matt Benning, Ethan Bear and Ryan Mantha make this position a little stronger from what we were looking at this time next season. More needed, but the club is getting there.
  • Goal: Laurent Brossoit is in the NHL now, with Nick Ellis trending very well in his first year pro. Dylan Wells has been an excellent draft bet so far.
  • Left Defense:  At the big league level, the Oilers have youngsters Oscar Klefbom and Darnell Nurse. Caleb Jones and or Ziyat Paigin could be pushing soon. Edmonton can afford to pass on a LHD unless the value is extreme.
  • Center: If you include Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, this is one of the deepest positions in the entire NHL.

OILERS TARGETS BASED ON THEIR OWN PAST

• Kristian Vesalainen, Hugo Leufvenius

MY PREFERRED TARGETS

• Elias Pettersson, Lias Andersson, Jesper Boqvist, Gustav Lindstrom

54 Responses to "THE OILERS AND THE KINGDOM OF SWEDEN (2017 DRAFT)"

1. Chachi says:

Ah Sweden. First thing that comes to my mind these days about Sweden is the music of First Aid Kit. They answer the musical question, “what if Emmylou Harris and Linda Ronstadt were Swedish sisters and formed a band?” https://youtu.be/PC57z-oDPLs

Also, I think the Oilers should go ahead and draft that Hugo Vas Deferens you mention above. It would be excruciatingly hard to cut him from the team.

2. stephen sheps says:

I am loving how wrong I was about Wells on draft day. Viewing one bad game in his draft -2 year does not an amateur scout make.

He looked dreadful that game, for sure, but he was playing on a really weak team and goalers develop by sundial.

I humbly retract my scouting report, and happily so.

3. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Chachi:

I love everything about this post.

4. BONE207 says:

Chachi:

Actually, flaccidly speaking, with a good bag of peas on hand, he could be cut quite easily. First though, we should see his production.

5. BONE207 says:

Chachi,

On a trending note, shouldn’t you perhaps change your avatar to Robin Williams as opposed to Kenny??? You don’t have to fight to be a man.

6. BONE207 says:

I checked out this First Aid Kit…Country version of ABBA???

7. BONE207 says:

OH ya…hockey.

How is Lagesson doing?. I liked what I saw from the WJHC. Distant bell perhaps but we could always use some help in Bakersfield too. LT, perhaps you could swing the move to St. Albert for the farm team (safer there) and use Jamo’s plane to get them to the Cali games.

BONE207:
    OH ya…hockey.

9. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: Lagesson is a good player, but probably stays in the NCAA next year. He could get himself traded too, because LHD is still a ridiculous area of depth.

The more I look at the 50 man the more I think half the names will be replaced.

10. Chachi says:

BONE207:
    Chachi,

Kenny’s not a fighter he’s a lover.

11. Chachi says:

BONE207:
    I checked out this First Aid Kit…Country version of ABBA???

It is just good music my friend.

Centre of attention: The more I look at the 50 man the more I think half the names will be replaced.

13. Pescador says:

stephen sheps:

I humbly retract my scouting report, and happily so.

14. Pescador says:

Chachi:

Too each their own I guess,

15. Chachi says:

Pescador: Too each their own I guess,

indeed

16. LadiesloveSmid says:

Lagesson plays on a dreadful NCAA team, might be best to pluck him out and stick him in Norfolk. Or Sweden maybe?

Had 8P which was good for 2nd in D scoring on his team, 1 point off 1st

17. Oil2Oilers says:

Chachi:

18. OilClog says:

So the team known for drafting wingers… seems like they got this covered lol

Wingers that bull rush to the net with their stick on the ice will be the target, Diet Coke machines.

19. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: Yes, agreed. I looked at it the other day and PC could have that list at 35 without breaking a sweat.

Friedman talking about names like Doughty getting moved or at least discussed among teams on CHED. I chuckled but really think about it, what are they going to do to get back on track? Both were careful to explain that this is all speculation, and I should mention that too.

Maybe its not Doughty who moves, but that is the level of players that might move.

Anyways, enough with all this summer talk haha! We are playoff bound, bitches!

PS:
    Friedman also mentioned he heard from other teams front offices that they think Edmonton is going to be hard to beat in the Foo sweepstakes.

20. stephen sheps says:

Pescador: Unfortunately this humble retraction cannot be accepted until said scouting report is dug up & reposted for all to see, as Lowetide would say “we wait”

stephen sheps: pretty sure LT actually included it in his draft day post mortem. I’d look there, but I’d way rather forget my poor talent evaluation ever happened, thank you very much… 😉

22. stush18 says:

Hey LT, are we sure chiarelli is going to draft big wingers?

So far his go to move seems to be to draft hard working, skilled forwards. Size doesn’t seem to play into his decisions unless he is drafting dmen.

Plenty of chances to skip over players like McPhee and rasanen but he’s not.

I think this is a different ship under chiarelli.

Centre of attention: I think due to the circumstances of expansion, the upcoming contracts and possible names available Chiarelli might actually break a sweat this summer if he wasn’t already last year.

Anyways, enough with all this summer talk haha! We are playoff bound, bitches!

PS:

Yeah, agreed again. From Puljujarvi through Nuge and Eberle, I think the Oilers will at least entertain some mind-bending ideas.

24. stush18 says:

In other words, he seems to be drafting krejcis and marchands rather than Horton or lucic

stush18:
    Hey LT, are we sure chiarelli is going to draft big wingers?

Plenty of chances to skip over players like McPhee and rasanen but he’s not.

I think this is a different ship under chiarelli.

26. Walter Sobchak says:

LT-Re-centres

You mention this as an area of strength, I humbly disagree and think this is an area Charelli would love to improve.

No offence to Draisaitl as a centre, but I think he’s McDavids mate for life now.

I’m not sure what Charelli thinks of RNH ? We know how T-Mac feels about RNH but he’s the coach and RNH contract is definitely a thing.

DD is not a long term option and Letestu while having a excellent year can’t be a long term option ether and if PC can upgrade that spot internally or on the cheap I think he does.

27. BONE207 says:

Chachi: Kenny’s not a fighter he’s a lover.

Robin Williams played a gay guy. Does that sway your decision???

28. BONE207 says:

Pescador: Too each their own I guess,

#stanleycupchamp

29. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Walter Sobchak:

I’m not sure what Charelli thinks of RNH ?

I would say based on ChiaPete’s past, he likes the Nuge. Gave him the nod for the World Cup roster, that has to count for something.

Not that RNH can’t/won’t be moved, but I think the scout in Chia appreciates the player.

30. Chachi says:

Oil2Oilers: If we are going to endure this kind of weather, let’s do it with Emmylou to Emmylou. The epic live version https://youtu.be/Y3TzP-o4vhs

That is great

31. admiralmark says:

Chachi:

Funny thing. After I had my snip snip procedure and returned for the final test to ensure it was a success. The Doc did his test, turned and handed me one of his personalized pens and said “make sure you use it responsibly”.

32. Chachi says:

BONE207: Robin Williams played a gay guy. Does that sway your decision???

? No idea what you are getting at.

33. Georges says:

Woodguy, you said this in the morning thread:

5v5 scoring is more predictive of playoff scoring due to lack of 5v4 in the playoffs compared to the regular season.

That “… lack of 5v4 in the playoffs compared to the regular season” part. Don’t think that’s right. Power play opportunities per game have stayed about the same (actually a little higher in the playoffs) in the past 3 years. Did you mean something else?

Also, in your defense of Hall’s elite status, I wondered why you chose to compare metrics over the last 4 years. I assumed you wanted to avoid the shortened season. But there’s also this:

Hall’s points per game played:

13-14 1.07
    14-15 0.72
    15-16 0.79
    16-17 0.77

I see that and I see a player who hit a peak 4 seasons ago that he hasn’t gotten close to since.

Compare to Seguin:

0.77 Hall
    0.76 Zetterberg
    0.76 Monahan
    0.76 Forsberg
    0.76 O’Reilly
    0.76 Schwartz

Good players but not as glittering company as you had Hall with in your 4-year analysis. Hall’s decline from the 4-year to the 3-year window parallels that of some of the older players like Spezza, Zetterberg, and Kessel. Not encouraging.

You talked about Hall’s 5v5 P60. That’s something else NJD should be concerned about. Their first line star is at 1.77 5v5 P60, just ahead of Evander Kane (1.77) and just below Zack Kassian (1.79).

34. gogliano says:

Calgary up 4 – 1 on San Jose. Looks like we might be in a good spot to try and grab at least the #2 slot in the Pacific in the next 5 games.

35. The Original JDI says:

gogliano: Calgary up 4 – 1 on San Jose.

The Sharts have really stunk of late.

36. Scungilli says:

Georges: Good players but not as glittering company as you had Hall with

McDavid

Crosby / Malkin

Teows / Kane

Hall is a very good player. He is not a great player at this point, and those of us who thought drafting the centre who had no real difference in production and would pan out better in 5 were right.

The Oilers should have been a devastating team after all of those picks. Some say it was the team that hooped them. I say yes but also they didn’t do enough to push the change. Eberle and Nuge are still the weakest top 6 on the team. How long till they get it down?

Fairness is important, but there was an era of players that were selfish and smaller. They are passing through the system now and being overtaken by younger guys with better work ethics and humility.

Oesterle just took a hit from behind, I will guess concussion.

38. The Original JDI says:

Lowetide: Oesterle just took a hit from behind

Just when you had him listed as part of the excellent depth in your ON piece.

39. Pouzar says:

Leggs roofs it

40. Chachi says:

Ethan Bear has 2 more assists so far this evening.

41. Alpine says:

Scungilli: Elite players go elite despite the team. Maybe the team doesn’t win, but the player succeeds. The Oilers should have become beter with the 3 x 1 OVs just because. Because they should be exceptional players.

McDavid

Crosby / Malkin

Teows / Kane

If all of Nuge, Eberle, Hall, and whoever score on average 10 more points each year and play better defense, they still don’t make the playoffs and probably pick 7th or 8th in the draft instead of 3rd or 4th. They had no support in other positions.

42. Pastor of Disaster says:

Did y’all see this? Cadence Weapon is a proud Edmonton boy (his Dad played for the Eskimos), and he is our former poet laureate (2009). His album “Afterparty Babies” is one of my all-time favourite rap albums.

His new single is a tribute to the Oilers (especially the guy the track is named after). Super fun and catchy. Worth a listen, especially his hilarious rhyme about being confused for Darnell Nurse in the club.

43. The Original JDI says:

Pastor of Disaster: Cadence Weapon

That is so Wednesday (or was it Thursday), but nonetheless I invite you to get off my lawn, while I await The Scorps playoff song for Draisaitl. 😉

44. Centre of attention says:

Oesterle just took a hit from behind, I will guess concussion.

Huh.

I thought that was why we signed Mark Fraser.

Still not buying this “protection” BS.

45. Scungilli says:

Alpine: Hard to overcome shitty goaltending and defense. The Oilers literally had guys like Andrew Ference, Justin Schultz, Ladislav Smid, and Nick Schultz play top pairing minutes frequently, let alone all the guys who made it onto the second and third pairings. They had a year and a half of Dubnyk’s and Scrivens’ numbers going in the tank.

Yes you are right, but it is a chicken or egg scenario. A lot of the struggling D and G did ok elsewhere.

A rising tide floats all boats. A few key additions, more team discipline, big improvements.

46. Pastor of Disaster says:

The Original JDI: That is so Wednesday (or was it Thursday), but nonetheless I invite you to get off my lawn, while I await The Scorps playoff song for Draisaitl.

haha… just got back from 2 days in Jasper… missed 2 days worth of pop culture!

47. The Original JDI says:

Pastor of Disaster: missed 2 days worth of pop culture!

I’ve missed two decades – hasn’t hurt me!

48. npanciroli says:

Georges,

Great analysis, thanks.

49. stush18 says:

npanciroli:
    Georges,

Great analysis, thanks.

But the scoring chances created! The 5v5 p/60 since his first draft year!

Nothing against hall. And nothing against the posters who believe him to be elite. I thought the trade was fair at the time. Now I’m moving towards it being a win. I feel bad for hall tho, that’s for sure

50. stush18 says:

Lowetide: I think they’ll draft all kinds of sizes, but all of them will have a certain aggressiveness about them. Benning, a defenseman who isn’t big, is aggressive. The Swedes I mentioned about (well, a Finn and two Swedes) fit that bill imo.

Watch now that I’ve said this, they’ll draft veselainen and popugaev lol

I agree. I think aggressive is the game plan, and everything else comes second. It’s said, but an emphasis is being placed on how well players play on a team rather than how skilled they are. I wouldn’t mind “watering down” the league with another team. I think adding more of the fringe skilled but flawed players would make the league more exciting. Scoring would likely increase

51. npanciroli says:

stush18,

I share the exact same sentiments.

52. kinger_OIL says:

Georges,

– Parsing different stats can obscure what teams actual value over multiple seasons: scoring

– In the last 3 years Hall is the 13th ranked LW in terms of points. To me that fits who he is: a very good scorer. There are 15 RW who have scored more. He’s a bona-fide top-line winger

-Results matter: in the last three years Hall is among the top-30 wingers in generating points. No more no less.

53. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Georges,

I picked last 4 years including this one because it was the longest selection available on stats.hockeyanalysis.com that included this year.

I didn’t want to be accused of cherry picking away from this year. Ha!

As for penalties/game, you’re right.

My inference was based on a few years where the penalty minutes/game were higher in the regular season than playoffs and I hadn’t revisited it.

If you look at the last 8 years and use number of penalties (not minutes) its actually really close.

Maybe that’s because there’s less fighting and misconducts in the playoff compared to the regular season and that drives the minutes/game up?

Ex) in 14/15 there was 5.33 5v4 minutes/game in the regular season, but 5.08 in the playoffs.

I stand corrected.

54. stephen sheps says:

Lowetide: It wasn’t bad at all. You expressed your opinion, gave it context and wished him the best of luck. Nothing wrong with that.

I must have misremembered. Despite how out of character it is for me to be an outright ass, I thought I was more critical than that.

Now I feel better. Still happy to be wrong, though.