THE OILERS AND RUSSIA (2017 DRAFT)

A recent surge in Russian drafting by Edmonton since 2012 is probably (partly) a result of the team’s decision to draft Nail Yakupov out of the OHL that summer. Over the years, Oilers scouts went through Russian customs once every blue moon and that is reflected by the low number chosen from the country. Between 1979 and 2011, Edmonton drafted 22 players posted in Russia out of 339 names. That’s 6.5 percent, and the Oilers have received about what you might expect from such lukewarm interest. The best Russian draftee who played his junior hockey in Russia? Anatoli Semenov, 362 NHL games.

In 2012, the Oilers drafted Nail Yakupov and Daniil Zharkov and even though that didn’t work out, it sparked interest in Russian prospects. Since Peter Chiarelli took over, the club has used one (late) selection in Russia. Will it continue?

PLAYERS/PLAYERS FROM RUSSIAN LEAGUES DRAFTED BY YEAR

• 2011 NHL draft–9 total players, 0 from Russia
  • 2010 NHL draft–11 total players, 0 from Russia
  • 2009 NHL draft–7 total players, 0 from Russia
  • 2008 NHL draft–5 total players, 0 from Russia
  • FINAL TALLY: 70 total players, 3 from Russia
  • PERCENTAGE: 4.3%

Since 2013, the Oilers have drafted three men from Russian leagues, that’s 9.7 percent. The NHL overall (including Edmonton) is drafting from this region at a 4.5 percent clip. As is the case in so many areas since Craig MacTavish took over as general manager, the draft trends for Edmonton experienced a paradigm shift. Can we say the trend continues into the Peter Chiarelli era? Too soon to know.

RUSSIAN PLAYERS FROM RUSSIA SINCE 2008

• 2008—
  • 2009—
  • 2010—
  • 2011—
  • 2012—
  • 2013—Bogdan Yakimov (1 NHL game), Anton Slepyshev (50 NHL games)
  • 2014—
  • 2015—Ziyat Paigin
  • 2016—

All three of these players were good bets on draft day and there’s every chance Edmonton will get at least one player out of the experiment. I would argue the Russian arm of the procurement body has been a success, and further investment should be considered.

RUSSIA’S BEST, 2017

1. R Klim Kostin, Balashikha (MHL). Giant winger, good offense. Shoots left. Injured.
  2. LC Alexei Lipanov, Dyanmo Balashikha (VHL). Smart two-way player, skilled.
  3. F Andrey Altybarmakyan, St.Petersburg (MHL).  Math can’t pronounce his name either, but adores him.
  4. G Daniil Tarasov, Ufa (MHL). Tall thin goalie impressed at U18s. .918SP.
  5. C Igor Svyrev, Magnitogorsk (MHL). Skill center, impressive offense.
  6. G Alexander Samoilov, Armiya Moskva (MHL). .928SP, blossomed this year.
  7. G Vladislav Sukhachyov, Chelyabinsk (VHL). Impressive SP (.932) again.
  8. F Pavel Shen, Marmonty Yugry (MHL). Small, skilled, August 1999.
  9. L Roman Krikunenko, HK Ryazan (VHL). Small skill winger.
  10. L Evgeny Mityakin, Yekaterinburg (MHL). A 1997, scored well and has size.
  11. R Daniil Skorikov, Ufa (MHL). Big (6.03) winger with some offense.
  12. LD Pavel Yelshansky, St. Petersburg (MHL). Big two-way defenseman.
  13. L Kirill Slepets, Yaroslavl (MHL). Good speed, some skill.
  14. F Alexei Toropchenko, Balashika (MHL). Big goal scorer (19 this season).
  15. F Mikhail Zholobov, Spartak Moskva (MHL). 20, he can score.
  16. F Razat Timirov, Neftekhimik (MHL). Impressive numbers.

NAIL YAKUPOV

I have a friend, we’ll call him Yuri, who lives in Edmonton and grew up here and in Moscow. He lived in the Kremlin as a young boy, and moved to Canada with his Mom years ago. Yuri is a good fellow, a decent sort and I respect him, trust his words.

When the Oilers drafted Nail Yakupov, Yuri was understandably excited about it and we got together a few times for lunch and talk of things of interest. I talked a lot (I assume you know this to be true in all exchanges), but managed to listen to Yuri about a few things, too.

From the start, Yuri was worried about Nail Yakupov’s adjustment to Canada. I dismissed (do we do this more than we used to, or is it just me?) the idea, insisting his time in the OHL would give him sufficient time to adjust. Yuri was less sure. He kept saying Moscow Russian was different than Nizhnekamsk Russian, and I kept thinking about the difference between Toronto and Maidstone. It’s a gap, but you can survive in Toronto if you avoid the transit and you can survive in Maidstone if you’re not an ass. I don’t know the culture gap, the experience gap, the lifestyle gap that makes small Russian cities created in 1961 different than my part of the world, but do know it is so and that Yuri was right to worry.

These kids have perhaps the greatest cultural fracture to overcome in the entire hockey world when coming from the isolated areas of Russia. I think there are things to learn from the Nail experience, including slow-playing progress.

I don’t know if the same applies for Jesse Puljujarvi, but it is worth considering. One of the things Edmonton did late (perhaps too late) was find a mentor center in Derek Roy. Perhaps we will see that next season with Puljujarvi.

OILERS DRAFT PICKS, 2017

• First Round: No. 24 overall
  • Third Round: No. 81 overall (FROM ST. LOUIS—this is payment for Nail Yakupov)
  • Third Round: No. 86 overall
  • Fourth Round: No. 117 overall
  • Fifth Round: No. 128 overall (FROM Vancouver—this is payment for Phil Larsen)
  • Fifth Round: No. 148 overall
  • Sixth Round: No. 179 overall
  • Seventh Round: No. 210 overall

OILERS NEEDS BASED ON CURRENT DEPTH CHART

• Left Wing: The Oilers prospect depth chart includes NHL-ready Drake Caggiula and Jujhar Khaira, former defender Joey Laleggia and oft-injured prospect Tyler Benson. Extreme need at the position.
  • Right Wing: Jesse Puljujarvi is a major piece of the future and does a long way to solving things at RW. Anton Slepyshev is edging closer to securing an NHL job, but not much coming up after those two men.
  • Right Defense: Aggressive procurement of Matt Benning, Ethan Bear and Ryan Mantha make this position a little stronger from what we were looking at this time next season. More needed, but the club is getting there.
  • Goal: Laurent Brossoit is in the NHL now, with Nick Ellis trending very well in his first year pro. Dylan Wells has been an excellent draft bet so far.
  • Left Defense:  At the big league level, the Oilers have youngsters Oscar Klefbom and Darnell Nurse. Caleb Jones and or Ziyat Paigin could be pushing soon. Edmonton can afford to pass on a LHD unless the value is extreme.
  • Center: If you include Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, this is one of the deepest positions in the entire NHL.

OILERS TARGETS BASED ON THEIR OWN PAST

• Klim Kostin, Daniil Tarasov, Alexei Lipanov.

MY PREFERRED TARGETS

• Andrey Altybarmakyan, Vladislav Sukhachyov, Pavel Shen.

MOCK DRAFT

• First Round: No. 24 overall: L Kristian Vesalainen, Frolunda (SHL). He’s a solid pick in this range, as the offense should be enough to cover a top 6F role. He could end up being a checker and that’s fine, but the Oilers should aim high enough to get a skilled forward in the first round. Vesalainen fits the bill. Edmonton are up against it a little, this pick has to be able to play (Tyler Benson’s injuries may mean he has a Marc Pouliot career). Safe pick in the first round makes sense from here.
  • Third Round: No. 81 overall (FROM ST. LOUIS—this is payment for Nail Yakupov):  L Jonah Gadjovich, Owen Sound Attack (OHL). Emerging PF, 40-goal man. He goes to tough areas and has a really good touch around the net. Some differing opinions on his skating, but at this number he appears to be a reasonable bet.
  • Third Round: No. 86 overall: RC Morgan Geekie, Tri-City Americans. C w/2-way rep and emerging offense. I love him but he’s not going to go anywhere close to my ranking. I bet the Oilers can get him here, if not him then Steenbergen.
  • Fourth Round: No. 117 overall: LD Max Gildon, USNDTP (USHL). Size, speed, skill. Inconsistent or he would be higher. I think the Oilers are going to take one kid from this program every year from now on.
  • Fifth Round: No. 128 overall (FROM Vancouver—this is payment for Phil Larsen): R Aatu Luusuaniemi, Karpat (Jr. Sm-Liiga). Winger with skill, excellent boxcars, zero buzz. Has the second most outstanding name in my mock! Incredible.
  • Fifth Round: No. 148 overall: RD August Berg, Brynas (SuperElite). Speedy defender with skill. He has some wobble and might be a bit of a project but the boots the boots the boots.
  • Sixth Round: No. 179 overall: F Andrey Altybarmakyan, St.Petersburg (MHL). No one takes Russians early anymore, and who hates their jersey seamstress this much? His numbers are terrific.
  • Seventh Round: No. 210 overall: L Kyle Maksimovich, Erie Otters (OHL). Small, very skilled player. I thought he should go last year and remain stubborn on him.

58 Responses to "THE OILERS AND RUSSIA (2017 DRAFT)"

1. Richard S.S. says:

Ideally we’d like Calgary and San Jose to win tonight, preferably in regulation.

2. OF17 says:

It’s a good sign that you’re the only one able to add anything to the draft debates, LT.

3. Jethro Tull says:

I’m surprised nobody has opined that we’re flying too high unsustainably and we should consider tanking the last games and throwing the first series in order to get a higher draft pick, as we clearly won’t win the cup anyway.

Thanks for the draft coverage, and thanks for stalling it a bit LT. Nice to read this stuff at the end of March.

4. Scungilli says:

Jethro Tull:

5. stush18 says:

I still love the draft talk LT btw. Great job.

6. anjinsan says:

Ah, LT. Thanks for bringing up Yak. I have followed his games in St. Louis since his being traded, as I have Schultz. Schultz is well on his way. Not so yet with Yak. Hitchcock was probably one of the worst coaches for him to land under in his second go, Hitch being the taskmaster-systems guy he is. Yak hasn’t fared well in St. Louis and it pains me why. If he didn’t have the rookie season he had under Krueger, then I’d say he is a bust. But he did: led the Oilers in goals, had a good +/- for playing on the Oilers, and had the shooting % that all scouts said he’d have. So, what’s wrong? Is he lacking in intelligence? Is he stubborn as in insane from the standpoint of the Einstein quote — crazy in doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result? I think he needs a mentor to take the time with him to break down his game and re-conceptualize his game so he can flow his immense talents and passions within a modern NHL systems approach. I think there’s a great player there. But he’s like a super-talented new hire who didn’t get a good manager to teach him the business and he’s lost and his confidence is terribly shaken. I wish the Hawks got him instead of St. Louis.

7. Professor Q says:

Scungilli: I have always posted in the dark years it’s better to finish last if you are bad. This year they are too far away from the cream for it to matter, the experience for the existing player now matters more.

I wouldn’t say that they’re too far from the crème, though.

I sincerely think they’re up there and can handle the Big Three out East and anyone here in the West.

8. Stud Muffin says:

Oleg Sosunov was drafted in 2016 by The Lightning.

Stud Muffin:
    Oleg Sosunov was drafted in 2016 by The Lightning.

Bah! And I went over that too, must have missed it. He was on my list last year, too, that kind of size has to be of use if he can skate at all.

anjinsan:
    Ah, LT.Thanks for bringing up Yak.I have followed his games in St. Louis since his being traded, as I have Schultz.Schultz is well on his way.Not so yet with Yak.Hitchcock was probably one of the worst coaches for him to land under in his second go, Hitch being the taskmaster-systems guy he is.Yak hasn’t fared well in St. Louis and it pains me why.If he didn’t have the rookie season he had under Krueger, then I’d say he is a bust.But he did: led the Oilers in goals, had a good +/- for playing on the Oilers, and had the shooting % that all scouts said he’d have.So, what’s wrong?Is he lacking in intelligence?Is he stubborn as in insane from the standpoint of the Einstein quote — crazy in doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result?I think he needs a mentor to take the time with him to break down his game and re-conceptualize his game so he can flow his immense talents and passions within a modern NHL systems approach.I think there’s a great player there.But he’s like a super-talented new hire who didn’t get a good manager to teach him the business and he’s lost and his confidence is terribly shaken.I wish the Hawks got him instead of St. Louis.

11. Peacecountry says:

LT,

I’m surprised you think LW is more of an area of need than RW. I think the young Finn is a great find but that the other prospects lack any sort of high end offensive upside. But LW doesn’t have a Jesse and the prospects seem of equal value. However, due to the righty vs left inequality shouldn’t an organization focus on finding right handed centres, wingers and dman? Lefties are easier to find through waiver, free agency and trade.

12. geowal says:

Professor Q: I wouldn’t say that they’re too far from the crème, though.

I think Scungii meant too far from the creme of the draft, so no point worrying about drafting 22 vs 24 (or whatever)

13. geowal says:

This might sound crazy, but I’m starting to see centre as an area of need. Yes we have McDavid at #1, but Drai could be winger long term and Nuge might not be long for the team due to cap reasons.

I think a centre wouldn’t go amiss in the first round, with possibility of either him or Drai sliding over to wing. I’m also assuming with this that the draft pick is unlikely to be an impact sure-fire first line player, so we’re essentially drafting the future #2 centre (which I don’t think is a bad plan).

Peacecountry:
    LT,

I’m surprised you think LW is more of an area of need than RW.I think the young Finn is a great find but that the other prospects lack any sort of high end offensive upside. But LW doesn’t have a Jesse and the prospects seem of equal value. However, due to the righty vs left inequality shouldn’t an organization focus on finding right handed centres, wingers and dman?Lefties are easier to find through waiver, free agency and trade.

Drafting centers is never a bad idea.

15. Scungilli says:

Lowetide: I wish I knew. IfI was George McPhee, I’d tell myself to be less intense and then draft Nail. They won’t have much offense and he can score goals.

If he had a solid centre so he could roam a bit which is his game he might be ok at this point. Definitely worth the risk for the GK’s, might pick up a an elite scorer.

16. Professor Q says:

Lowetide: Drafting centers is never a bad idea.

Unless they’re bad centres.

Professor Q: Unless they’re bad centres.

I like the current track record, 2014 was the last poor draft imo.

18. Brad says:

Off topic here, but does anyone know of a place in the Big Smoke to get Oil jersey cresting done? Need to get the C stitched on my 97 sweater and my usual goto from out west (Jersey City) apparently does not exist out here. Thanks!

19. LadiesloveSmid says:

Nagelvoort with a game for the MIssouri Mavericks of the ECHL. Sounds like the oilers, rightfully, didn’t pursue that pick. Really too bad after his first season at Michigan

20. Diablo says:

anjinsan:

Yakupov doesn’t really have one outstanding skill – he’s not super fast, his shot is not very accurate, his hand-eye skills are not elite, he’s not big enough to separate guys from the puck, and his “hockey IQ” is poor. He doesn’t have “immense talents” – he’s just a thoroughly mediocre player at the NHL level, who once upon a time used to dominate junior hockey. People around here keep referencing Yakupov as if he can dangle like Tarasenko, shoot like Laine, or skate like Larkin – this myth of Yakupov just keeps getting taller every year.

He had a decent rookie season for a team with no hope of making the playoffs during which he was heavily sheltered. There was no expectation for him to adhere to a system, cause none of the other offensive “stars” of that era did either.

He got drafted number one overall (in an exceptionally weak draft year) and has fully enjoyed all the perks that come with that distinction – paid millions to play a game in the best league in the world, had a roster spot gifted to him, rather than having to fight his way into the league, and received plenty of PP opportunity and soft matchups. Despite that, and aside from an unsustainable hot streak at the end of his rookie season, 5 years later and he’s never produced. So that’s on his coaches??

Successful NHL coaches like Hitchcock demand that their players buy in 100% to the system. Its reason number 3 why the Oilers have had a successful season (#1 – McDavid, #2 – Talbot) – according to no less than Drew Doughty the Oilers are hard to play against this year because “everyone plays defence”. That means adhering to your systems and not free-lancing.

Yakupov might deliver some modicum of offence for LV, but he’ll give up more going the other way. If I was George McPhee, I’d pass.

With respect to Jesse – I have no concern that he’s going to be another Yakupov – that kid has a great attitude – he knows why he got sent down and acknowledged that there are areas he needs to improve on before he’s ready for the NHL. He’s bigger, faster and can shoot better than Yak, and he’s already shown marked improvement in the AHL. He’ll be fine, we just need to be patient and let him continue to maturate in the AHL.

21. Pouzar says:

Jumbo Joe leaves game with apparent leg injury.

LadiesloveSmid:

Yeah, that’s an interesting turn there. Leaves open the options for summer though, Nick Ellis and someone in Bakersfield this fall. Nagelvoort was a candidate.

23. dangilitis says:

Gagner is at 49 pts now, tied for personal best that he hit as a rookie and very good chance he gets his first 50 pt season, in a role that I understand is very similar to what letestu fills in edmonton. Pretty impressive. We need Eberle to visit his summer home and practice shooting on his makeshift set up that he created last year…

24. Rake 2.0 says:

Pouzar,

It didn’t look good either. If He’s out any length of time I’d probably prefer the sharks in the first round.

25. stush18 says:

Lowetide: I like the current track record, 2014 was the last poor draft imo.

Honestly i don’t think the 2014 draft was that bad at the time.

Drai, lagesson, vesel, and nagelvort all looked like good picks at the time. It’s the trading away pf picks that hurt imo

26. Pouzar says:

Eric Stephens‏Verified account
    @icemancometh

Sami Vatanen (upper body) and Hampus Lindholm (upper body) are out tonight. Both injured yesterday. Ducks recalled Shea Theodore.

27. Scungilli says:

dangilitis:

He’s getting 3rd line TOI and judgung by faceoffs is being used as a winger. His production is great in that role. He’s a hard player to use because he’s a tweener in a lot of ways. If he plays for less than his points warrant great, I wouldn’t want him in the top 6 if he gets paid like that.

28. Tarkus says:

If you were an Oilers fan just waking up now from a two-year coma, how massive of a shock would you be experiencing seeing the standings right now?

29. leadfarmer says:

Tarkus:

You mean after realizing that we haven’t won the cup yet?

Remember the good old days before the Hall trade! -)

Zach Parise, Eric Fehr, Ryan Getzlaf, Brent Burns, Mark Stuart, Marc Antoine Pouliot. Ryan Kessler, Mike Richards….Corey Perry….Patrice Bergeron

It took 13 years for the trade down to RIP.

31. frjohnk says:

Pouzar:
    Jumbo Joe leaves game with apparent leg injury.

I dont think knees/legs are supposed to do that.

Always have liked him. Fantastic talent. A pleasure to watch.

I hope for his sake, its nothing too serious.

32. The Original JDI says:

Pouzar: Sami Vatanen (upper body) and Hampus Lindholm (upper body) are out tonight. Both injured yesterday.

33. Pouzar says:

The Original JDI: Well I’m pretty sure one of those fuckers cross-checked McDavid in the neutral zone, so forgive me while I search for the smallest violin in the world.

You mean drunk.

34. The Original JDI says:

Pouzar: drunk

I don’t think that words means what I thinks it means.

35. Scungilli says:

Lindholm, under the gear going for ribs.

36. digger50 says:

Diablo,

Thanks for that immensely inspiring post. My god if a guy wants to follow Yak and wish him well you don’t have to crap all over him.

37. Evilas says:

anjinsan,

I appreciate your post! I share your sentiments.

I am cheering like hell for the kid. He was my favourite, I think there is something there too. If he stays in NA maybe he gets a coach like Nelson, who I think would know how to “unleash the yak” that I know is in there, somewhere.

38. Diablo says:

digger50:
    Diablo,

I’m sick of hearing about how Yak’s failures are due to his coaches.

So how about this for inspiring …. I hope Yak ends up in Calgary next year so the poster can continue to follow this player of “immense talents and passions”, and the Oilers can have an easier time beating the Lames.

39. BONE207 says:

Is there a bout of windstroke/sunstroke going on today? Everybody is a little testy considering the Oilers are in 1st. Maybe C2H5oh remnants from last night?

40. Chachi says:

Pouzar:
    Eric Stephens‏Verified account
    @icemancometh

41. Pouzar says:

Tied in Calgary

42. BONE207 says:

Chachi: I think Lindholm hurt himself getting absofuckinglutely embarassed by McDavid on the overtime goal.

That would probably mean a career ending injury.

43. The Original JDI says:

Pouzar:
    Tied in Calgary

Shaw scores with 3 minutes remaining.

44. The Original JDI says:

Not sure how I feel about a Ducks win, but at least it wasn’t a 3 point game.

45. Pouzar says:

Ducks win

46. spoiler says:

Pouzar:
    Ducks win

*Makes sure he pulls up a browser tab of the standings before the game ends*

47. Pouzar says:

Leave it to the Flames

48. treevojo says:

Never should depend on the flames to do anything right.

Hopefully the Oilers find a way to get them in the first round.

It will be a shellacking.

49. gogliano says:

At this point, #2 in the Pacific might be preferable to #1.

I’d much rather face one of the Falmes or Joeless Sharks than the Preds.

50. striatic says:

The Original JDI:
    Not sure how I feel about a Ducks win, but at least it wasn’t a 3 point game.

Playing San Jose right now wouldn’t be the worst thing? Although with their injuries maybe they end up in the wildcard spot when all is said and done. Just keep pace with the Ducks, take the tiebreak or better and see what the division win gives you.

Oilers/Flames in the first round seems almost fated.

51. oilersfan says:

If Thornton is out for the first round i would much rather play San Jose than anyone else.

Does anybody know if the oilers had a chance to match what Calgary gave versteeg or did he want to play for the flames over the oilers no matter what? Given his contract status it seems to me the oil could have signed him for an extra $100,000 no? Ffs he has only one less goal than Nuge or eberle and I think both of them have 2 empty Netters!

I think he would have been an excellent fit with mcdavid and enabled the oilers to play drai elsewhere.

Pretty pissed off about that still. He can win face offs , too…

52. N64 says:

treevojo:
    Never should depend on the flames to do anything right.

Hopefully the Oilers find a way to get them in the first round.

It will be a shellacking.

If Flames keep doing it wrong… they go straight to Chicago.

53. striatic says:

The top post reminds me of Anton Belov and Nikita Nikitin and oh god has the past decade been a desperate one for the Oilers defence.

I want to get a better look at Paigin, soon.

54. Zelepukin says:

striatic:

I want to get a better look at Paigin, soon.

Don’t forget about Garbagekov.

55. striatic says:

Zelepukin,

Damn you, I already had and wanted to keep it that way.

56. Younger Oil says:

One more win and we’re guaranteed to be Top 3 in the Pacific. That’s big news.

Agree with some others in that 2nd place in the Pacific gives us the best chance of moving on to the second round. It’d be cool to get the Conference Champs banner, but it’s not really a huge concern.

57. Zelepukin says:

Younger Oil:
    One more win and we’re guaranteed to be Top 3 in the Pacific. That’s big news.

If we can beatdown the deflated Kings and the Flames can redeem themselves against the Ducks, then I have a feeling who we play will come down to that last game between the Sharks and Flames.

We could see LB against LA now. Cam against SJ and then they’ll split Van.

58. digger50 says:

Diablo: I’m sick of hearing about how Yak’s failures are due to his coaches.

And maybe folks are sick of hearing your holier than thou opinions.

If you want to be heard, allow someone else to speak as well.