OILERS SIGN LAGESSON

The Edmonton Oilers continued a recent run of prospect signings today, adding 2014 fourth-round selection William Lagesson. He represents only the second player signed from that Oilers draft, joining lottery pick Leon Draisaitl in the organization.

Although Edmonton’s system is drunk with lefthanded defensemen, Lagesson is 21 years old and the organization probably feels it is time for him to turn pro. He is a legit NHL prospect, and has had international experience in feature tournaments like the World Juniors. As you know, making any Swedish team on defense is a challenge, and that reflects his ability.

• AGM Keith Gretzky, via Oilers Now: “William’s a big, stay-at-home defenceman. He’s a little older, bigger, stronger and he needs to play more games. This will really help him and his development.” Source

That sounds about right, at 21 Lagesson is what he is and now it’s a matter of having him fly sorties in the AHL until he’s comfortable. He is listed as 6.03, 197 and that’s a good size for a modern defenseman.

• Corey Pronman on draft day: “I’ve seen him play well many times, he’s a player I really like. He’s a physical defenseman he skates well and defends well. I don’t think he’s a sterling offensive player, but he has average puck moving ability. I think this is a guy who is going to be a very good prospect and the Oilers got good value where they picked them.”

That’s a really good thumbnail sketch (Pronman’s excellent) of this player, and we got a college scouting report early in this season:

• Steve Kournianos, The Draft Analyst: Plays on their top pairing and second PP unit. Usually matched up against top lines with mixed results. Minutemen are underachieving in Conference play but only knock on Lagesson is he can play undisciplined. Not hook or trips but high stick fouls, roughing. You can argue he’s their best defenseman this year. Source

THE BIG QUESTION

I think we’re going to see a trade this summer, as something has to give. An NHL team has to procure talent via the draft or free agency, and balance can sometimes get out of whack. The Oilers reached full Leftorium awhile ago and have been trying to dig out by sending away players as they can. With the signing of Lagesson, and Ziyat Paigin on a PTO (but not yet under contract), and Caleb Jones turning pro any minute, there’s a rich harvest of lefties bubbling up again. Since we haven’t done this in quite some time, allow me to remind you of the state of the leftorium. Here are signed men or RFA’s who are likely to be back:

You might think this ratio is extreme, but this represents outstanding progress over the last couple of seasons. We know from his media avails that Peter Chiarelli is aware of the importance of L-R, and the current table is evidence of it. Here is the pro leftorium from August 26, 2016:

Progress, right? One thing we can begin to talk about: the large numbers of rookies we are likely to see in Bakersfield this fall. Caleb Jones, Ethan Bear, Ryan Mantha, William Lagesson and likely Ziyat Paigin will be part of the group in the AHL, and that’s why I think we might see a trade. A team like Vegas might be interested in the rights of a pro player who doesn’t have to clear waivers.

Some of the new hires (Paigin, Mantha) get into the lineup, and I do like the looks of Jesse Puljujarvi alongside Jujhar Khaira and Ryan Hamilton. That should be an interesting trio.

68 Responses to "OILERS SIGN LAGESSON"

1. Ducey says:

Interesting that if Reinhart is not in Bakersfield next year, not one of the Oiler’s projected defensemen will have been drafted by them above the 4th round.

And yet its a promising group.

2. Ray says:

Ducey,

That what the ahl is for right? Grind out servicable players from prospects with some flaws.

I like the look of that lineup too

3. teddyturnbuckle says:

Chiarelli isn’t screwing around with the D. Going to be an organizational strength soon.

4. wheatnoil says:

I suspect they’ll give Reinhart every chance to be 7D next year (assuming LV doesn’t take him).

I would love Oesterle to be back next year (not just because he’s a personal favorite of mine). You need 1-2 guys in the AHL that are NHL ready in case of injury. Right now that’s Oesterle and Simpson. Without that, you risk being forced to call up first-year pros as injury fill-ins and that’s not the ideal way to make a playoff / contending team.

Simpson / Oesterle
    Jones / Bear
    Paigin / Betker
    Lagesson / Mantha

That seems reasonable to me. You can expect one of Simpson or Oesterle to get 10-20 games, the other to get 5-10 games and one of Jones / Bear to get a cup of coffee unless they blow the doors out.

Then, in a year, you’re flushing Simpson & Oesterle and who ever rises to the top of the remaining 6 becomes your first call up. The best one or two of those will hopefully be NHL ready by Year 3 of their ELC.

I suspect that’s not the way it plays out. My guess is Oesterle is gone but Simpson remains as the one potentially NHL ready call up.

One thing to keep an eye out for development: with so many ELCs starting at the same time on D, there’s not going to be a lot of turnover in Bakersfield over the next 3 years. Jones, Bear, Lagesson, Martha and (likely) Paigin are all tied in for the next 3 years on the 50-man list. Probably won’t see as many undrafted UFA signings for D next year or the year after.

5. GMB3 says:

Back to the steak convo from last conversation. Do most prefer cooking with a cast iron pan instead of a BBQ?

I had a roommate who had a cast iron pan and the steaks off it were great but the thing would smoke up the entire house, like an absurd amount

6. LMHF#1 says:

GMB3:

Cast iron ON the grill works great too.

7. GMB3 says:

LMHF#1: Cast iron ON the grill works great too.

Would a water test be sufficient to tell if the pan is hot enough?

8. Glass says:

wheatnoil,

Maybe Betker gets traded for a RHD of similar value? If that doesn’t happen I wouldn’t be surprised if one or both of Jones/Bear started in the ECHL.

9. LMHF#1 says:

GMB3: Heat it up pretty hot right? I live in the hood and my house doesn’t have a fan above the stove so the BBQ might be best.

Would a water test be sufficient to tell if the pan is hot enough?

I usually let the grill pre-heat for quite a while because I go high heat all the time and the grill won’t ever get to a point where it is too hot. If such a thing exists.

10. Jaxon says:

Another RHD that is interesting as a free agent signing is JOHNNY KOVACEVIC. He’s from Grimsby, ON and played for Merrimack in the NCAA this season. He’s 6’3″, 220lbs and scored at a decent pace for a 19 year old freshman with 19 pts in 36 games.

Closest I could find to a scouting report was a pre-season college report on freshman to watch:

“He’s a big, physical presence on the blue line, but he has good mobility and can move the puck well.”

from http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2016/9/28/13084468/hockey-east-undrafted-rookies-mcinnis-wyse-fiorentino-sukumaran-kovacevic-dello-curry-lekkas-payusov

NCAA Free Agent Shopping list for Edmonton:
    RW Spencer Foo
    RD Johnny Kovachevic

Draft:
    at around #23
    RD Conor Timmins
    LH RW Kristian Vesalainen
    RH LW Nikita Popugayev

11. GMB3 says:

LMHF#1: Believe the guideline is holding your hand over the pan and if you can only do so for 5 seconds, that’s hot enough.

12. The Hermit says:

Condors lineup sponsored by Three-Way Chevrolet.

I trust that there are interesting negotiations on vehicles…

13. Jaxon says:

GMB3:

I agree, cast iron on the BBQ works great. Also check out this as best method for steaks:

14. wheatnoil says:

Glass:
    wheatnoil,

I think the Oilers liked Betker after training camp.

That said, I doubt Bear spends time in ECHL if for no other reason than handedness. Same with Mantha, though to a much lesser extent. My bet is that person will be Legesson if anyone.

15. LMHF#1 says:

GMB3: Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I love this place. I’m going to look into picking up a cast iron pan soon.

Read up on getting it seasoned properly and the unique aspects of cleaning it for sure. Takes more work but can be made worth it.

For the grill, I actually have a cast iron pizza pan I use to sear from time to time.

16. rope-a-dope says:

Anyone watching Bakersfield? Any early reports on Paigin?

17. Diablo says:

GMB3:

You nailed yet – I love steaks done on my cast iron pan, but my kitchen has the range in the middle of our island with our hood coming down from the ceiling – looks awesome, but too much smoke escapes around it.

For that reason I prefer the BBQ. In my next house though I going to have a seriously powerful range hood.

18. Jaxon says:

Puljujarvi with a nice backcheck

19. The Original JDI says:

GMB3: Do most prefer cooking with a cast iron pan instead of a BBQ?

I’ve adjusted the heat down a little on the pan, and I’m ballparking it at 400F. This reduces the smoke quite a bit, and gives me a better handle on getting my ideal cook on it.

So my 12″ pan, on the large burner of a near 50 yr old cook top, set to 5/8ths of max, hits about 500 degrees in five minutes. These are fairly hot burners though – at half of max, they glow slightly.

I now use the burner at just under half, and it’s still very hot but not crazy smoking inferno hot. I like the way it cooks.

The best thing about the cast iron method is after taking the meat out to sit, you put some butter in the pan and more chopped garlic and/or onion, and let that stuff sizzle for a minute or two. Then when it’s nicely done, you splash some red wine in there and kill the heat. This brings up the bits of meat, garlic and onion that got obliterated and stuck to the pan during the cook and makes a fabulous sauce.

Pour that over whatever you want to taste great. Potatoes, veggies, cardboard – it’s amazing.

20. The Original JDI says:

LMHF#1: I actually have a cast iron pizza pan I use to sear from time to time.

I’ve got a rectangular cast iron griddle that works great on the BBQ. I like to use it as a heat buffer for doing chicken breasts, because it has a small tray along the bottom that I can pour water into. Position the tails of the breasts so that they don’t overcook, compared to the thicker parts, and that makes amazing chicken.

Never thought of it for steaks though, although it would be difficult to get the sauce going without a pan.

21. Scungilli says:

If a defense listing has left shot guys playing right, things need improving.

It’s not as big a deal with forwards, but on D it’s a weakness and there is a loss of effectiveness. In a game with no quarter, you can’t give up anything if you want to be the best and stay there.

22. GMB3 says:

Paigin looks slow

23. Jaxon says:

Descheneau! Goal. Oesterle made a great hit in the Condors zone and got the puck moving. Condors dominating the 2nd period so far.

24. GMB3 says:

The Original JDI: I’ve adjusted the heat down a little on the pan, and I’m ballparking it at 400F. This reduces the smoke quite abit, and gives me a better handle on getting my ideal cook on it.

That sounds phenomenal.

25. Jaxon says:

Paigin with a good shift. Rushed the puck up the ice. Good stick in D zone. But got caught on the ice a bit too long and was tired in his own end. Survived until they got the puck out and got off.

26. Centre of attention says:

Is Descheneau the next Winquist?

27. Centre of attention says:

Puljujarvi playing net front on this powerplay.

hmmm

I just postedan item on ON about the summer acquisitions (in terms of position)

29. Glass says:

Kind of hard to really make a judgement on Paigin. 3rd pairing minutes, and hasn’t played in a month (looks like it too). I have a feeling we’re going to have a very different looking team in bakersfield, and I wonder if Fleming will remain coach.

30. Lucinius says:

Tampa wins so they stay alive for another day.

Leaf fans must be getting more and more nervous.

31. T0ML says:

Hunter put me down for 7 win 7 losses thanks

Paigin just ended some guy and took a penalty.

33. Jaxon says:

Paigin with a boarding penalty.

34. Jaxon says:

Gambardella often looks dangerous out there. Slippery. Just drew a penalty too. Possibly hurt on the play.

35. Jaxon says:

Puljujarvi just lapped everyone on that PP rush. Nice speed.

36. Washingtron says:

Jaxon,

Can not recommend the serious eats website (and more particularly the Food Lab and their head guy J. Kenji Alt-Lopez). Not just the what but the why. Not just recipe’s to follow by rote but techniques and the science behind them so you can apply that to anything.

Steakwise, an interesting tidbit from the site is seasoning the steak either over an hour before or just before cooking, but not in between. The salt pulls moisture out of the steak and it needs at least an hour to reabsorb the (now salted) water into the fibers of the meat. Anything under an hour with salt on it and the water hasn’t reabsorbed resulting in steaming the steak instead of cooking it and losing most of the moisture. No nice crust on your steak and no nice juices in it.

Hockey wise, McDavid is on our team. Anyone notice that?

37. Jaxon says:

Washingtron:
    Jaxon,

Can not recommend the serious eats website (and more particularly the Food Lab and their head guy J. Kenji Alt-Lopez).Not just the what but the why.Not just recipe’s to follow by rote but techniques and the science behind them so you can apply that to anything.

Steakwise, an interesting tidbit from the siteis seasoning the steak either over an hour before or just before cooking, but not in between.The salt pulls moisture out of the steak and it needs at least an hour to reabsorb the (now salted) water into the fibers of the meat.Anything under an hour with salt on it and the water hasn’t reabsorbed resulting in steaming the steak instead of cooking it and losing most of the moisture.No nice crust on your steak and no nice juices in it.

Hockey wise, McDavid is on our team.Anyone notice that?

Yes, I try to never pre-salt steak. Preseason? Yes. But try to avoid salt until it’s resting after I cook it. This McDavid guy, is he any good? 1 Hour before is a good tip. I’ll try it.

38. Jaxon says:

I think I’m going to get motion sickness with this cameraman searching through the crowd on every break.

39. Jaxon says:

Ugggh. 2 Crossbars within a minute. One for Khaira and one for Lander.

40. Centre of attention says:

Oh gosh is Oesterle ok!??!

That was fucked up

41. Jaxon says:

Reinhart retaliating up for a nasty hit from behind/boarding hit on Oesterle.

42. Jaxon says:

Oesterle neck bent back face first into the boards. I hope he’s okay.

43. Centre of attention says:

They are getting the stretcher out for Oesterle

Best wishes to the poor guy and his family.

That was painful to watch.

44. Jaxon says:

Leaving on a stretcher. Yikes.

That was an awful hit. I hope Oesterle is okay. Man that was kind of sickening.

46. Jaxon says:

Lander scores!

47. Centre of attention says:

Lander scores!

48. Jaxon says:

Centre of attention:
    Lander scores!

Jinx, you owe me a beer.

49. Jaxon says:

Tuned in to watch Paigin and Mantha. Didn’t see much of them, especially since they were behind most of the night. I wouldn’t put too much stock in any negatives to Paigin’s game tonight. 1st night on N. American ice and as far as I know he hasn’t even had a full practice with the team yet aside from game day skate. He also hasn’t played in a long time, even in Russia.

50. Centre of attention says:

Jaxon: Jinx, you owe me a beer.

I wish you could have Jinxed the damn San Antonio idiots who hurt poor Oesterle.

51. wheatnoil says:

Hey LT, been wondering about this, but do you think Fleming is on the hot seat if Bakersfield doesn’t make the playoffs? He’s not a Chiarelli or Keith Gretzky hire.

wheatnoil:

53. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: Maybe. If they have a replacement in mind and he’s available, then Edmonton might make the move. My issue with Fleming is playing time and deployment, but for all I know that comes from head office.

Todd Nelson

54. OilersDynasty says:

kris knobloch

55. Lloyd B. says:

Centre of attention: Todd Nelson

I doubt it. No room for advancement. He saw the light a few years ago. Tough break for the Oilers AHL team.

56. Chachi says:

OilersDynasty: kris knobloch

Knoblauch would be an interesting way to go.

57. wheatnoil says:

OilersDynasty: kris knobloch

Beyond the obvious McDavid connection, a quick Google search tells me that Keith Gretzky coached him in the UHL for a season.

58. Centre of attention says:

Lloyd B.: I doubt it.No room for advancement.He saw the light a few years ago. Tough break for the Oilers AHL team.

Agree, he probably wouldn’t want to come here.

wheatnoil: Tyler Hupka (I think it was him) mentioned that on Twitter the other day to me and it’s an intriguing name.

I wouldn’t mind bringing him in at all. Helluva Junior coach, that’s for sure.

59. Chachi says:

Having Connor’s junior coach in the system would create an interesting dynamic with the current coaching staff. Knoblauch would certainly be a bigger threat as a replacement in-waiting than Fleming that’s for sure.

60. Centre of attention says:

Chachi: Having Connor’s junior coach in the system would create an interesting dynamic with the current coaching staff.

I was thinking the same thing.

He is very likely hungry to be on an NHL bench eventually.

61. Chachi says:

Centre of attention: I was thinking the same thing.

He is very likely hungry to be on an NHL bench eventually.

The question is whether he wants to work his way up as an assistant in the NHL or as a head coach in the AHL. His former coach at the UofA tried the AHL head coaching route and didn’t get a sniff at a head coaching job in the NHL so that might be in the back of his mind.

62. monsterbater says:

wheatnoil,

Stauffer bring up knoblauch all the time as he’s a former UofA player. He’d be a great development coached, Erie has 4 straight 50 win seasons, 2 of those without a certain generational player. I think that he may hold out for an NHL assistant coach position, though it seems to me more and more coaches being hired these days are not coming from NHL assistants and more AHL head coach promotions and the recycle of those that never stick around anywhere for more than 4-5 years.

63. The Original JDI says:

In today’s Oilers’ panel piece, Stauffer explicitly mentions ‘Death March’ in regards to playing out the late games in seasons past.

Hi Bob.

64. thurmtim says:

Wow the East will be wild finish! TOR can finish as high as 2nd in Division or as low as 10th in the East.

To sum up (sorry if this gets complicated):

If TOR wins out against CLB and PIT, and BOS loses to WAS in Regulation, TOR is 3rd in Atlantic and BOS is WC2. Both TB and NYI eliminated regardless. BOS gets 1 point in final game and they would win tiebreaker against TOR.

If TOR loses out in regulation and TB ties their last game, TOR is in due to more ROW. If TOR loses out in regulation and NYI win one and lose one in OT/SO, TOR is in if NYI win is in shootout, NYI winning in ROW are in as they are ahead 5-4 pts in HTH if ROW are tied.

If TOR loses out in regulation and all three teams are tied. TB is out with 37 ROW, and TOR /NYI are tied at 38 ROW, as long as NYI win is ROW and NYI are in as above.

Now it gets fun. If TOR loses in OT/SO, and both NYI and TB win out, all are tied at 94 pts. TOR would have 38 ROW, If TB wins ROW they are also at 38 ROW and if NYI wins one ROW and one SOW, they are also at 38 ROW. Of course, in this scenario, if NYI Ws are both ROW then NYI are in with 39 ROW.

In a 3 way tie with the same ROW, HTH TB has 8 pts, TOR has 9 pts and NYI have 5 pts. TOR is in.

I think I need to lay down now…

65. thurmtim says:

thurmtim:

To sum up (sorry if this gets complicated):

TOR loses out in REG, they are out if TB wins their last game or NYI wins their last two games. What if they both win out?Currently, NYI have 37 ROW and TB has 37 ROW. if NYI get 2 more ROW then they are in with TOR losing out in regulation. But if One of those wins is in the shootout for NYI, then NYI and TB are tied in ROW and TB is in as they are ahead 4-0 in pts earned HTH.

IfTOR loses out in regulation and TB ties their last game, TOR is in due to more ROW. If TOR loses out in regulation and NYI win one and lose one in OT/SO, TOR is in if NYI win is in shootout, NYI winning in ROW are in as they are ahead 5-4 pts in HTH if ROW are tied.

In a 3 way tie with the same ROW, HTH TB has 8 pts, TOR has 9 pts and NYI have 5 pts.TOR is in.

I think I need to lay down now…

It’s worse than I thought… TOR can catch OTT as well if they win out and OTT gets no more than one point in their final 2 games. Oh my aching head… I’m not a drinking man but I am willing to learn.

66. wheatnoil says:

monsterbater:
    wheatnoil,

I’ve heard that a lot of coaches moving up often prefer to be a head coach in the AHL than an assistant in the NHL if they have head coach aspirations. Run their own bench, etc. That said, I’m sure everyone has their own individual preference.

67. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

GMB3,

Le Cruset or Lodge is an excellent starting point.