OILERS SIGN PAIGIN, STARRETT

The Edmonton Oilers continue to add players for the 2017-18 season, making two more additions to the projected 50-man list.

• In signing 2015 draft pick Ziyat Paigin, Edmonton has four (Connor Mcdavid, Caleb Jones, Ethan Bear and Paigin) of their six picks under contract. Only John Marino and Miroslav Svoboda remain unsigned from that draft, with Marino having three more years of eligibility at Harvard. It is unclear to me in regard to Svoboda’s rights, NHL teams sometimes retain rights on players long after their signing eligibility expires (they have a secondary reserve list behind the 50-man list).
  • With the signing of goalie Shane Starrett (from the Bellingham Starrett’s), the Oilers are now close to a full boat at the position (probably room for an ECHL starter from the Laurikainen tree). Starrett’s numbers look good from here, he seems to have been starter or damned near all four years leading up to his signing. He’s tall and thin (6.05, 180), ran a .925SP during his time at Army and seems a very solid bet from here. I can’t tell you if he is a better prospect than Nick Ellis, suspect these two men will figure it out on the streets of Bakersfield.

I’m a fan of Paigin because he’s a big defenseman who can defend, plus he can pass the puck well (from what I have seen) and his big shot from the point gets mentioned quite often. Mobility is going to be the key, and if you’re going to ask and my answer, it will be hell if I know but if you see mobility issues in a scouting report you’re halfway to the answer. Always give these kids time though, you don’t know what you don’t know. Now that we have him in North America, let’s let him find his way.

I’m going to be a fan of Shane Starrett because of something Emily Kaplan (of the Boston Kaplan’s) wrote about him back in the summer of 2013. The Boston Globe article is here, and Kaplan wrote about Starrett’s draft experience. Seems he wasn’t interested at all in the NHL draft until he found out he wasn’t on the draft radar. Once Starrett found out about the rankings, and that he wasn’t on the list, that fact motivated him:

• So began a nine-month stretch in which Starrett became singularly focused. He initiated individual sessions with a goalie coach, had late-night workouts, and endured a few close calls with his boarding school’s strict 11 p.m. curfew.

So he worked his butt off, got ranked, NHL teams passed on him. That’s not the story. The story is that (based on numbers) he has progressed well. So we’ll see, but he’s a worker and he can stop pucks and he’s got his chance and screw all those guys who got drafted. We’ll see.

PROJECTED 50-MAN LIST

Now I’m estimating the RFA’s and suspect the club will buy out Mark Fayne, but I included him just in case. They are going to sign all of these RFA’s, maybe they let Laleggia go but that’s kind of nuts since he scored 20 goals this season.

• UFA: David Desharnais, Matt Hendricks, Tyler Pitlick, Kris Russell, Eric Gryba, Jonas Gustavsson, Justin Fontaine, Jordan Oesterle, Mark Fraser
  • RFA and not listed: Anton Lander, Henrik Samuelsson, Bogdan Yakimov, Jere Sallinen, Zach Pochiro, Eetu Laurikainen, David Musil.

This looks about right. Keep working, Shane Starrett, we’re cheering for you. Paigin, welcome to North America.

79 Responses to "OILERS SIGN PAIGIN, STARRETT"

1. npanciroli says:

Chiarelli seems to be doing a great job adding free prospect depth. Drafts trending well also, this will be key to building a consistent cup contender.

2. Pajamah says:

I think I can confidently say, Ziyat Paigan has already passed Griffin Reinhart as a prospect.

/s

3. Raider Jesse says:

Really pleased that Paigan came over. I loved his interview, I love how blunt Russians are, despite how much their teams tend to not like that aspect of them over here.

I like the way Paigans moves his feet from what I’ve seen, and wonder if his skating is simply just the awkward stage of growing into his 6’6 frame. He doesn’t seem to be lazy or particularly awkward in his lateral movement or his turns.

4. CamRent BroBot says:

Raider Jesse,

That’s what I think it is too. Plus he’s also trying to figure out north American ice and how much room he has out there to get the motor running.

5. dangilitis says:

Who said McDavid couldn’t help the sabres, even though the number 1 pick fell to Edmonton?

6. Younger Oil says:

Don’t know if this is the right forum for this, but everyone here with a Twitter account should send a Tweet to the Sportsnet President (@MooreScottmoore) requesting that Quinn and Principe be a part of the Oilers’ playoff broadcasts.

Like them or hate them, they have stuck with the Oilers through this past decade, and deserve to be a part of it as much as the players do.

7. dcsj says:

LT one of the things I like about your blog is the way you keep us posted on prospects and development. I never used to have much access to these stories, but I find myself cheering for all these young men along the way. The only downside is they all won’t make it. Your writing makes me wish they would all turn into stars and we could have them all on our team ar the same time. I am only slightly delusional.

8. Alpine says:

Younger Oil:

Not sure about Quinn, but Gene will be part of it for sure by covering the team with Sportsnet. That’s may not be the capacity people want him involved, but it’s a national broadcast so they’re using the national crew. Seems like a pretty standard operating procedure..

9. Jaxon says:

Re: Svoboda – his Elite Prospects page says he is under contract for the 2018-2019 season to HC Trinec and on loan to HC Jihlava. So he looks like a long term wait and see prospect at this point. He’ll be 24 when he is out of that contract in the fall of 2019. Which maybe isn’t so bad considering goalies’ development takes much longer.

10. The Hermit says:

Sutter and Lombardi let go in LA.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Take that Ben Eager!

A new ROM! A golden day. 🙂

12. Jethro Tull says:

Lowetide: A new ROM! A golden day.

With sails unfurled!

13. Jethro Tull says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Take that Ben Eager!

I think the worst thing to happen to Hall this season wasn’t the Oilers making the playoffs, it was him getting injured and feeding the confirmation bias piranhas and the team staying healthy without him. Another round of gasoline for the table of two with the ‘can’t stay healthy’ narrative please.

14. Nuclear leak says:

Oilers win this in 5

San Jose pp since trade deadline 14.3% PK 78.2%
    Edmonton pp 27.1 PK 85.4

That’s a ridiculous spread.

Tangibles are even frankly, Todd has some things to stuff down throats.

Too many games on old bodies in the last two years for the sharks.

15. Ryan says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Take that Ben Eager!

The Oilers with Lucic on the team had the most salubrious season in 10 years… therefore they were very lucky.

Yeah, but the Oilers used to get their show run and lead the league in man games lost to injury. Now they have a team rife with big, scary, tough men who can take care of business like Kassian, Lucic, Gryba, Maroon, Nurse, and Hendricks. Coincidence?

Well, first of all there’s no math to support the correlation between either Pim’s, player size, or fighting majors with man games lost to injury. Secondly, I am pretty certain that it also has no correlation with score adjusted Fenwick.

Sarcasm alert enabled.

Resume age-old debate in 3.2.1…

16. nelson88 says:

Hunter.

Please put me down for 11 wins, 8 losses.

17. innercitysmytty says:

Hunter, 10 wins and 8 losses please and thanks!

18. Strapping Jocks says:

Supposedly the Sharks haven’t beaten a playoff team (except the flames in the last game) since Jan 31st??

Wow

19. Strapping Jocks says:

Hunter, put me down for 11 – 9.

20. Centre of attention says:

Regarding the recent signings:

Ben from Edmonton‏ @benoliver_1

@Lowetide I think the Oilers found their ECHL Starretter’

21. Spengler says:

Ryan: Marc Savard got a career ending concussion with Lucic on the ice… therefore Lucic wasn’t a deterrent. Hence team toughness does not prevent player injuries.

Sarcasm alert enabled.

Resume age-old debate in 3.2.1…

Yes, but how many players weren’t injured while Lucic was on the ice? The great unanswerables are sometimes the most interesting.

22. GMB3 says:

Raider Jesse:
    Really pleased that Paigan came over.I loved his interview, I love how blunt Russians are, despite how much their teams tend to not like that aspect of them over here.

I like the way Paigans moves his feet from what I’ve seen, and wonder if his skating is simply just the awkward stage of growing into his 6’6 frame.He doesn’t seem to be lazy or particularly awkward in his lateral movement or his turns.

He’s not a good skater from what I watched. Very stork-like.

23. Spengler says:

GMB3,

I’ve grown into my frame with age. Though I’m rather sure it hasn’t helped my mobility either.

24. Chachi says:

Adam Larsson is my favourite oiler (non-McDavid division):

Adam Larsson‏ @AdamLarsson3
    Congrats @cmcdavid97 on 💯 points. Doing it in one season is beyond impressive.. 👏

Jacobaduh‏ @Jacobaduh
    @AdamLarsson3 @cmcdavid97 You don’t even have that in your career. ❤

Adam Larsson‏ @AdamLarsson3

@Jacobaduh @cmcdavid97 No shit

25. Centre of attention says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Eberle is almost indispensable at this point.

IMO he was the straw who stirred the Poo-Nuge-Ebs line in the back half of the ’15 season while Hall was hurt and that line was shooting the lights out.

If Eberle was shooting at his career %, (13 or so) he would have 28 goals on the year and ~60 points. The fact he missed the 60 point mark can be almost completely attributed to career low in shooting %. I’m betting on a regression to the mean and I wouldn’t be shocked if he hit 60 or higher next year.

In fact, not only do I think he should stay but I’m going to be the first to say the Oilers need to find a way to get this guy re-signed to a reasonable contract. And when it comes down to it, Eberle has already made his money. Maybe he takes something a little bit more reasonable in order to stay close to home (lives with wife in Calgary) as well as hitch a ride on the Connor train for the rest of the decade.

Nuge can be replaced with cheaper Nuge (hurts to say) but you don’t just find 55-60 point wingers laying around. You draft them and develop them. (or over pay them in free agency, hello Oshie) we have drafted and developed Eberle and damnit, he should stay!

My 2 cents. ( i know others will disagree because “lazyness” and because “overpaid” and because…)

26. John Chambers says:

Man, Blake and Robitaille running the Kings.

I’ll reserve judgement until the summer is over, but this has the potential to go Roy / Sakic.

They’ve got to find some inexpensive wingers, or find a way to pawn Dustin Brown off on Vegas without surrendering much.

27. Spengler says:

Centre of attention,

I believe Woodguy had to revise his list due to problems with the corsica site.

28. John Chambers says:

Chachi,

That is gold

29. Melvis says:

Woodguy v2.0,

You sure put in a hell of a lot of work on this stuff morning, noon, and night. Thanks.

30. Centre of attention says:

Did anyone see this?

Sorry if it was posted already.

31. Lloyd B. says:

GMB3: Isn’t he like 22? Does that mean at 24 I could still be growing into my 6’1 frame?

He’s not a good skater from what I watched. Very stork-like.

The problem is you keep filling out your frame.

Next thing you know you are in your fifties and look like your dad.

32. Westchester Oil says:

The Hermit:
    Sutter and Lombardi let go in LA.

33. The Hermit says:

Westchester Oil: Lombardi deserves to go because of all the bad contracts he handed out, but no way should Sutter go. They won the Cup in ’12 and ’14 because of Sutter, and now he’s turned into a useless coach?? Don’t blame him for the aging, overpaid players Lombardi has given him.

Lombardi has put the Kings in a tight spot with some of the contracts, for sure. Also not enough scoring.

In regards to Sutter, his teams are disciplined but all coaches have a shelf life. Looks like they recognize that there will be no more Stanley’s with that group.

34. pocession charge says:

LT, why do you hate Ladislav Larsson?

35. admiralmark says:

Centre of attention:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Eberle is almost indispensable at this point.

36. Diablo says:

John Chambers:
    Man, Blake and Robitaille running the Kings.

Same thing happened in Vancouver too. You’d think that these owners would have learned that nepotism is a bad idea from Edmonton’s example?

Hopefully the next to follow this trend will be Anaheim – Perry is decline and Getzlaff and Kesler will follow in the next few years. All they have to do is hire Selanne as team president and Kariya as GM, and the Oilers will own the division for the next decade.

37. jp says:

Woodguy v2.0:

Oiler players 5v5 pts/60 since March 1.

CONNOR.MCDAVID3.89
    LEON.DRAISAITL3.24

Oilers 5v5 PRIMARY pts/60 (these are goals and 1st assists only, show who is driving play)
    PlayerP160

CONNOR.MCDAVID1.51
    LEON.DRAISAITL0.93

Spengler:
    Centre of attention,

I believe Woodguy had to revise his list due to problems with the corsica site.

Yeah, this doesn’t add up, right?

The above would mean 2/3 of McDavid and Draisaitl’s points are 2nd assists, unless I’m reading wrong.

38. delooper says:

A lot of McDavid’s 2nd assists are the most important play in the goal. Not certain taking those away helps inform on who is doing what in a play.

39. Oil2Oilers says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Forgot about your healthy love of music 🎶

40. Chachi says:

delooper:
    A lot of McDavid’s 2nd assists are the most important play in the goal.Not certain taking those away helps inform on who is doing what in a play.

I agree.

41. BONE207 says:

No hockey for 2 days…then real hockey. This season has been surreal what with the trepidation of the past woes creeping into the back of one’s mind and denying a full joyous experience. That pent up anticipation and joy will make for a noisy Easter week. It’s almost 2 years since I saw the golden ticket and signed up as a Lowetidian because of that moment. It’s wonderful to be an Oilers fan once again.

Hunter, I’ll say: 10-11. Thanks for this.

42. Spengler says:

jp:
    Yeah, this doesn’t add up, right?

Order is:

McDavid 3.02
    Draisaitl 2.31
    Maroon 2.15
    Eberle 2.02
    Kassian 1.72
    Lucic 1.5
    Slept 1.46
    Pouliot 1.44
    Nuge 1.26
    Caggiula 1.25

All credit to Woodguy. I hope I haven’t stepped on toes by posting this.

43. jp says:

Spengler: He’s revised the stats (apparently done by hand, Cheers for the effort, Woodguy!) And posted them on Twitter.

Order is:

McDavid 3.02
    Draisaitl 2.31
    Maroon 2.15
    Eberle 2.02
    Kassian 1.72
    Lucic 1.5
    Slept 1.46
    Pouliot 1.44
    Nuge 1.26
    Caggiula 1.25

All credit to Woodguy. I hope I haven’t stepped on toes by posting this.

Cool, makes more sense.

44. Diablo says:

admiralmark: Nuge was fantastic that last game and wasn’t given much credit for his play(as per usual). Having said that Eberle was great as well. I believe we are about to see just what these two are made of in the next 4-28 games. I really believe throw out everything so far. How they respond to the intense pressure of playoff hockey is likely going to play a major role in Chiarelli decision on where to go with these 2 players.

I really like that 2nd line – they’ve taken a while to gel, but they’ve got good chemistry now – each guy brings a different element.
    I hope Chia finds a way to keep both the 1st and 2nd line together through next season.

45. Lloyd B. says:

Diablo: I’ve been down on Ebs and Nuge this year, but I was wrong on both accounts – they’ve both turned their season’s around. I’m back on board with the idea of “get good players, keep good players”.

Next year is pretty easy. When McDavids contract the year after kicks in however…

46. --hudson-- says:

In case you missed it, a famous clip of Paigin from the 2015 WJHC

47. GMB3 says:

Lloyd B.: The problem is you keep filling out your frame.

Next thing you know you are in your fifties and look like your dad.

48. pocession charge says:

GMB3:

He’s not a good skater from what I watched. Very stork-like.

Skates like he’s delivering babies.

49. Lloyd B. says:

GMB3: That actually wouldn’t be the worst scenario. He’s in fairly good shape with a nice head of white hair at (almost) 67. Gave me something to look forward too, sorta.

At 24 that is what you are thinking for sure.

You are invincible and know it will be different when you get here.

Who knows, perhaps it will be for you.

If I was one of the math guys here I could show you the probabilities and back it up with stats.

I’m only an eyes guy so will defer to our more learned colleagues to back my claims up. 🙂

50. Diablo says:

Colieo87:
    Kings cleaning house

Like Chia, Lombardi will probably find a soft landing as GM for another NHL franchise soon. Cup winning GMs are few and far between.

Sutter is a damn good coach, he’ll find work again if he wants it.

51. GMB3 says:

Lloyd B.: At 24 that is what you are thinking for sure.

You are invincible and know it will be different when you get here.

Who knows, perhaps it will be for you.

Eh! you’re probably right. But I’m still hoping for the best

52. Lloyd B. says:

GMB3: Eh! you’re probably right. But I’m still hoping for the best

Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

53. Woodguy v2.0 says:

jp:
    Yeah, this doesn’t add up, right?

Yeah, the first post was wrong

Corsica’s matrix is glitchy

Here’s the correct version:

EDM Primary Points/60 (goals and 1st assists) Since March 1.

CONNOR.MCDAVID 3.02

Kassian 1.72
    Lucic 1.5
    Slept 1.46
    Pouliot 1.44
    Nuge 1.26
    Caggiula 1.25

All credit to Woodguy. I hope I haven’t stepped on toes by posting this.

Not at all, I appreciate it.

I forgot I put them up here else I would have corrected that too.

Thanks.

55. Diesel says:

Hunter,

16 – 10

Let’s go.

56. npanciroli says:

Larsson’s twitter game and moustache are what drives this teams success.

57. dustrock says:

How Near, How Far – a Trail of Dead reference in hockey? Man you sure get the rabbit hole on Lowetide. Source Tags & Codes is a top 10 album of the Ought a.

Here predicting Oilers in Stanley Cup Finals vs the Pens, McDavid goes Super Saiyan but not enough to win, Edmonton leaves vastly satisfied anyway.

58. Edmonton_fan says:

Not a fast skater like Nurse – but drafted much later – and older. I suspect he has a chance of an NHL career.

Paigin’s skating is not that bad…

59. Professor Q says:

dustrock:
    How Near, How Far – a Trail of Dead reference in hockey? Man you sure get the rabbit hole on Lowetide.Source Tags & Codes is a top 10 album of the Ought a.

I was thinking the same, but against Washington. They finally make it back, and this time with Ovechkin!

60. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909’s 2017 NHL Playoff Death March is here!! Anyone can play!!

Here’s how to play: Predict the number of Oiler wins (0-16)and for tie breaking purposes choose how many losses they take(0-12) during the upcoming playoffs.

It’s easy!

For example:
    hunter1909 predicts Oilers win 10 games, and lose 9 as they make the WCF.
    10-9

Entries accepted right up until the first puck drop of the Oilers 2017 playoffs.

61. kgo says:

Hunter,

Back in 2003, in my high school yearbook, I predicted the Oil would win the cup in 2017….

I’ll say 16W and i’m not guessing losses, If they win, i’ll submit my prediction in writing and thus win all tiebreakers.

62. delooper says:

Somebody’s got to be wildly optimistic and wrong. Put me down for 16-0 !

63. GMB3 says:

From my limited viewing of him during his time in the AHL so far, I’d also say Paigin looks like he could put on weight. He looks like a bean stalk to me out there. Some of his defensive prowess that came at lower levels might have been because of his reach.

He’s an interesting prospect though. I just watched his world junior highlight video. He cocks the stick back like he’s Jamie Sadlowski at a long drive competition

64. teamblue says:

Hunter,

Put me down for 14-11 please

65. Zelepukin says:

hunter1909:
    Hunter1909’s 2017 NHL Playoff Death March is here!! Anyone can play!!

It’s easy!

For example:
    hunter1909 predicts Oilers win 10 games, and lose 9 as they make the WCF.
    10-9

it’s both scary and awesome that everyone has us winning the first round and most have us winning the 2nd. Playoffs are basically impossible to predict.

66. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Hey hunter, Not sure if I mentioned it properly or not the last time, but just in case, put me down for 16-10 please.

67. rickithebear says:

Piagin:
    Skate?
    3:20
    Yup!

Defend?
    4:30
    Engage one and break lane withstick on another!

Woodguy:

Eberle:
    repeatability!
    regression to career mean!

Only six years to get it.

Your forgiven cause until you went thru the Dbase exercise most would not get it!

remember this one from 2 years ago.

forwards with 23 goals and 63 points
    year to year last 5 seasons.
    from 11-12 to 14-15
    12-13 season is .585 of a season so divide by .585 16G 37P
    4 forward
    Eberle
    Kane
    Ovechkin
    Tavares.

in 15-16 he was injured for 13gm
    Came back early for 13gm cause Mcdavid was out.
    last 56gm of season 22G 44P
    80gm pace of
    31.5G 63P

Repeatability!
    how many of those 4 averaged PvP for that time?
    1 fwd in the whole NHL

the man!

68. jp says:

rickithebear,

What’s PvP at the end there?

The other 3 have also had a far higher ceiling than Eberle, but point taken.

69. Woodguy v2.0 says:

rickithebear:
    Piagin:
    Skate?
    3:20
    Yup!

Defend?
    4:30
    Engage one and break lane withstick on another!

Woodguy:

Eberle:
    repeatability!
    regression to career mean!

Only six years to get it.

remember this one from 2 years ago.

forwards with 23 goals and 63 points
    year to year last 5 seasons.
    from 11-12 to 14-15
    12-13 season is .585 of a season so divide by .585 16G 37P
    4 forward
    Eberle
    Kane
    Ovechkin
    Tavares.

in 15-16 he was injured for 13gm
    Came back early for 13gm cause Mcdavid was out.
    last 56gm of season22G 44P
    80gm pace of
    31.5G 63P

Repeatability!
    how many of those 4 averaged PvP for that time?
    1 fwd in the whole NHL

the man!

I gained a lot of respect for Eberle this summer.

I ran his numbers to see how much his offence decreased away from Hall and the answer was “not much”

He’s much better than the fan base thinks and he’s my Actual Candidate to be Run Out of Town unless he kills it in the playoffs.

I think there is a good chance he kills it in the playoffs too.

70. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: I gained a lot of respect for Eberle this summer.

Some of us……. 😛

71. frjohnk says:

Craig Custance‏Verified account @CraigCustance 16m16 minutes ago

If I were predicting the coach openings, I’d put the favorites like this:
    Dallas – Hitchcock
    Van – Green
    Florida – Eakins
    Vegas – Capuano

The day Eakins gets hired as an NHL coach ( and I think it will happen) will be interesting.

72. frjohnk says:

Woodguy v2.0: I gained a lot of respect for Eberle this summer.

Its EBERLE!!!! Damn it.

So much for respect.

73. russ99 says:

Do we think that Dillon Simpson sticks?

Considering the CHL graduates, the leftorium and that non-tendering Simpson clears a spot?

I don’t see him clearing the 100 NHL game mark.

Other than his pedigree (which shouldn’t be a reason anymore for this club) I don’t see a reason to give him a 2-way deal.

74. Truth says:

Starrett’s had an interesting path to signing an NHL contract. Private school, to boarding school in high school, verbally commits to BU in 2013, but plays 2 years in the USHL before actually going to Air Force Academy and signing a pro contract after his sophomore season. If his goal truly was to disprove the doubters after not being ranked as a prospect, huge respect. Life at the US military academies is quite different from the typical college experience.

75. Spartacus says:

Hunter,

Win 14 games.

Lose 10 games.

Oilers forever!

76. "Steve Smith" says:

Hunter: 2 wins, 4 losses.

77. Oilers: Starrett, Gambardella Have Bright Futures says:

[…] add some bulk to fill out his frame, but at 6-foot-5 and 180 pounds, there’s a lot to like. The 22-year-old was passed over in the draft, but over the last two seasons has cemented himself as one of the better college goaltenders with […]