RE 16-17 CONNOR MCDAVID: LUCKY

The first time I saw Connor McDavid live (‘saw’ is a stretch, he was a combination of blur and rumor) was at the 2015 orientation camp. His speed served as both a shock to the eye and a delight for the brain, and it became obvious in minutes we were looking at something other-worldly. In a real way, the injury to McDavid as a rookie delayed calling what we now know to be true: Connor McDavid is the single most thrilling, and best, hockey player on planet earth. (Lucky)

CONNOR MCDAVID 2016-17

• 5×5 points per 60: 2.89 (1st among regular forwards, No. 1 NHL)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 5.96 (3rd among regular forwards, No. 24 NHL)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 52.9
  • Corsi Rel 5×5 %; 3.5
  • DFF Elite 5×5 %: 55.2
  • DFF Elite Rel 5×5 %: 7.3
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 251 shots/12.0%
  • Boxcars: 82, 30-70-100 (Won Art Ross Trophy)
  • (All numbers via Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com and hockey-reference)
  • Special thanks to GMoney and Woodguy for sharing the DFF’s

REASONABLE EXPECTATIONS

• RE 16-17: 72, 33-54-87 (1.21)
  • Actual 16-17: 82, 30-70–100 (1.22)
  • Source
  1. Your RE was pretty close! Yes, pretty solid for sure, although his ability to play 82 games meant the actual boxcars were better than projected. Good news though, he has shown the ability to stay healthy play all year. Another good arrow in the most handsome quiver of the century.
  2. How does he compare to Sidney Crosby? When Crosby was a kid power plays roamed the earth untamed, so Sid’s scoring numbers overall are superior in year two. But it’s mostly because 61 of his 120 points were on the power play in Sid’s second year.
  3. What about 5×5? We can do even strength. Sidney Crosby scored 59 EV points in 2006-07, and he did that in 1159:25 EV minutes, and that works out to 3.05 per 60 at evens.
  4. And McDavid? Connor McDavid scored 71 EV points in 2016-17, and he did that in 1418:05 EV minutes. That works out to 3.00 per 60 at evens. We are talking about two impact players in their formative years. Power and the glory.
  5. He had 71 even-strength points? Yes. His total was No. 1 in the NHL.
  6. Would you say he is on par with Crosby at the same age? Offensively, I think the evidence suggests it is close, although the lack of power-play time is going to impact the boxcars.
  7. Who did he play well with? I’ll make it easy: ALL Oilers had their numbers spike with McDavid. He is the golden lottery ticket. Patrick Maroon has a slightly better Corsi for 5×5 without 97, but is absolutely better off on that line.
  8. Do his wingers shoot enough? I think the entire line would do well to shoot more. At 5×5, McDavid plus Leon and Maroon had a total of 435 shots. Only one game was missed, so we can estimate 5.3 shots per game for the line. Sidney Crosby’s most common linemates this season were Conor Sheary and Patric Hornqvist. That trio averaged 6.8 shots per game overall (total, with and without each other) at 5×5.
  9. Should Peter Chiarelli add a shooter to the line? Yes, I think so. Edmonton could add an inexpensive shooting winger late in the summer, they seem to be available every year.
  10. What about Jesse Puljujarvi? I think it might be an idea to bring him along on a softer minutes line, at least for part of next season. I do like the fact JP is averaging 2.89 shots per game in the AHL, but Edmonton needs more of a sure thing for next year.
  11. Who should Edmonton target? Connor McDavid took 251 shots this season, good for 3.06 per game and inside the NHL’s top 20 in total shots. It is reasonable to have someone on his line who is at least as prolific.
  12. Like? Jeff Skinner, Blake Wheeler, Evander Kane, Nathan MacKinnon, Radim Vrbata, James Neal.
  13. None of those guys are available, man! Not true. Vrbata is a free agent, we have heard rumors about Kane and MacKinnon, and on it goes. Hopefully the Oilers get lucky and Puljujarvi forces the issue this fall.
  14. What about Eberle? He does shoot more than Leon. Eberle had 208 shots this past season, compared to 172 by Leon. Something to keep in mind, we’ll maybe visit this again in a few minutes.
  15. Tell me a story about those Woodmoneys. Well, that’s a damned good number by McDavid. Crosby posts better numbers against elites (60.3, 4.8 Rel) but McDavid’s DFF Rel is through the roof. Ryan Getzlaf (55.5, 3.0) and Patrice Bergeron (56.8, 6.5) are in the range, although Bergeron plays 38 percent of his time against elites (McDavid 36). That’s a strong number for such a young player (Crosby is 34), but that may speak to Pittsburgh’s superior depth.
  16. What is his outer marker? I don’t think we can say for sure, and a lot of it depends on the support 97 gets around him. That said, the top offensive season of this decade came from Evgeni Malkin, who scored 109 points in 72 games (2011-12). I think that should be used as an outer marker until (if) McDavid passes it. I expect he can, if only because there’s a lot of power-play points to be gained (suspect he can improve on 27).
  17. Could the Oilers win the Stanley Cup this year? When you have a Connor McDavid in your lineup, never say never. That said, I don’t think they have the kind of balance and depth required, no.
  18. Could the Oilers have procured enough talent to win this year? That’s something we’ll discuss during the Peter Chiarelli RE.
  19. Screw that noise, you’ll forget to talk about it by then. Could they have done it? I think they could have given themselves a better chance, yes. I talked about it all last summer, balance is required and Edmonton isn’t there yet. Backup goalie, 3C, scoring on RW and a RHD who can pass, carry and shoot.
  20. Is Leon going to  play on McDavid’s line next season? Yes. Pretty sure. If you want me to guess, Edmonton will be heavy on Hanzal and Boyle this summer.
  21. Then what was all that talk about acquiring a shooter on RW? The Oilers have to cast about and see what’s out there. If they signed Hanzal and Vrbata, would the world die?
  22. Why this song? Six Feet Under. Burn it. Burn it all.
  23. Who, on the what now? Connor McDavid gave us all a chance to light a fire on the past and move beyond a decade of misery. That’s lucky, and it’s a gift. There are healing moments in life just like that, where the things that drag you down and make you pay can be lit on fire in the yard—most of us just can’t find the way, don’t see the opportunity. Gifts come in different shapes and sizes, surely few of them have ever been as perfect as Connor McDavid is to our town. He is the rare gift who makes it easy to see. Burn it all, indeed.
  24. Where does the lottery win rank on your list of Oilers memories? I can’t say beyond it is easily the best thing since the 1990 Stanley. As I get older, ranking things becomes less important, because you know they are all fantastic memories. Finding Gretzky, the five Stanley’s, 99 hands the Cup to Steve Smith, Jari Kurri in all three zones, Messier crazy and beautiful, Coffey on skates, Fuhr acrobat, Anderson kamikaze, Weight saucer, Smyth smashmouth, Pronger rake, there are probably 100 brilliant memories for me. McDavid ranks among them, but hell if I know where. He’s here now, that’s all I care about, to be honest.
  25. What’s the best thing about Connor McDavid? When he has the puck on his stick, and a foot of clean air, he does this rocket thing where everyone else stands still while he changes places on the chess board in a heartbeat. It’s like watching lapse time photography with only one object moving. It’s a trick, it’s magic. Except it’s real and he has the puck, all the time. That’s what makes him special.

145 Responses to "RE 16-17 CONNOR MCDAVID: LUCKY"

1. frjohnk says:

” Connor McDavid took 251 shots this season, good for 3.06 per game and inside the NHL’s top 20 in total shots”

How many times a game did McDavid have the puck in a shooting spot and pass the puck and we would all say ” he has to shoot more”?

If he gets selfish, he will hit 400 shots in a year.

2. Visually better says:

Can’t thank you enough for being LT for giving us reason not to go mad and keep on believing and this blog for keeping us entertained, informed and involved.. Really truly means a lot. Just watched the video of us screaming “Let’s Go Oilers” so loud and so obnoxiously that Lourieau couldn’t begin singing. I’ll never forget that… So all that’s left to say is.. “Let’s go Oilers!!!” We made it folks!! We made it!!! Only a couple more hours!!

3. Woodguy v2.0 says:

What’s the best thing about Connor McDavid?

Awesome.

4. Washingtron says:

“Combination of blur and rumor” is wonderful.

5. Clay says:

Can you imagine Nathan MacKinnon on a line with McDavid? The nickname for that line would be “Blur and Rumor”. Opposing defencemen’s SU/60* would skyrocket.

*Soiled Underwear per 60 minutes

Anyway, there’s just no getting around how lucky we are as Oilers fans. It seems so silly to say given the hell we’ve been through, but to grow up watching 99 et al, and now to have my kids grow up watching 97… I almost feel guilty.

6. ruotsalainen says:

I rarely chime in ever, but have been reading from the very beginning and felt obliged to comment.

The passage Woodguy quoted is phenomenal writing and just wanted you to know.

Thanks for what you do and for all the various discussions in the comments from everybody(mostly).

Also, thanks for using my favourite band. If anyone ever has or gets the chance to see Radiohead live, you are doing things right. Incredibly talented band.

7. nvan97 says:

Remember when Stamkos, before McDavid had ever played an NHL game, said that Connor was better than him and everyone was trying to pass it off as just being diplomatic. But then people started asking “why would Stamkos say something like that totally unsolicited?” And now we know the answer: when playing with a player of such talent perhaps NHL stars are better able to recognize talent than a bunch of fans.

8. Merchant says:

Wow, LT are you using Radiohead for this years RE recap?!! Lucky is a nice choice for Mcdavid, I would of considered Air Bag as well “In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe”

Adam Larsson -Talk Show Host
    Taylor Hall – Exit Music For a Film
    Oscar Klefbom – All I Need
    Jonas Gustavsson – How to Disappear Completely
    Cam Talbot – Ful Stop
    Oilers Fans past 11 Years – True Love Waits

9. bendelson says:

When I first started posting on Lowetide, I was always encouraged by the fact that people like Woodguy would always take the time to respond to my posts. He didn’t have to (as far as we both knew at the time, we didn’t know each other) but was nevertheless very generous with his time. Let me say unequivocally, he is that same generous person today.
    Yesterday’s post was a poorly formulated attempt at having a little fun with Darcy… you see, I purchased some glorious hardwood flooring from him last week (thanks again Darcy!), and when I saw him we (once again) discussed the fact that the ‘beer’ was still outstanding from last season’s bet and that we really needed to find the time to get together and well, drink them.
    The post was to be nothing more than a lighthearted reminder that we need to find a game to watch together (and yes, an excuse to take the ‘torches and pitchforks’ meme out for a walk, as it’s one of my favourites).
    Unfortunately, the poorly written, somewhat lazy post could also be taken far too literally and in the end, placed Darcy in an awkward position of feeling the need to defend himself. This is very disappointing and completely my mistake.
    Darcy is my friend. I hope most of you understand this and read the post as nothing more than what it attempted to be… but for those that didn’t, let me assure you, Darcy is anything but a welcher. The idea of it is frankly, ludicrous. He is a thoughtful, generous person who is a pleasure to read on this site on a daily basis (and a great guy to drink beer with…).
    My apologies to anyone affected by yesterday’s post. I was tempted to simply remove the ill-fated post in it’s entirety, but alas, I’d rather respect the archive, own my error and let the record stand (unless others would prefer it removed from the thread). I will now time myself out for the day.
    See you on game day, gang!
    Woot! Woot!

PS – I too, enjoy Connor McDavid.

10. HiddenDarts says:

Genius post, LT. If we’re in Radiohead mode, very nice… I never really caught on to much of their material after the all-time-classic “OK Computer”.

Burn it all. It’s the best way.

11. Pescador says:

Awesome stuff As always Lowetide.
    Radiohead? Yep, better then my recommendation: Survivor, maybe next year.
    Points 9&10? Double Yep, somewhere out there is a smart RW who wants to win, that will sign for $1.5-2. Also solves the 3C problem in house. Would it be so terrible to have a centre there that can play up in the line up? Too expensive? Yes, so find the savings elsewhere. (Pouliot)
    Uncle Jesse should be on a soft mins line with Nuge & Caggiula on the other wing. Set up to succeed.

12. LMHF#1 says:

Is it crazy to think that he only scratched the surface this year?

Just thinking of how many goals he could’ve/should’ve scored alone…this looked much more like an 120 point season than a 100 point season to me. He only found his groove late – and really figured out how to impose his will at the NHL level.

Should be (and hopefully) the last time we see #97 below 40 goals in a healthy season for a good while.

13. Jethro Tull says:

Pescador:
    Awesome stuff As always Lowetide.
    Radiohead? Yep, better then my recommendation: Survivor, maybe next year.

14. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I realize I’m being a broken record, and that no one really cares, but I’m just going to keep saying it.

Vrbata takes a lot of low quality shots. 8.5% shooter last 4 years and clearly trending down from there.

We don’t need that. If they want someone to stand by the net and fire low speed wristers at the goalie’s crest, shots so weak that even Smitty would laugh, they can hire me. I’m cheap and I make great guacamole, so you know I’m good in the room.

TJ Oshie is 15% over the same period. UFA but I’m going to assume we don’t have the cap space for him.

My vote is to find a cheaper option on a shorter term deal, and rotate Pitlick/JP/Drai/whomever in the RW spot.

15. treevojo says:

bendelson:
    When I first started posting on Lowetide, I was always encouraged by the fact that people like Woodguy would always take the time to respond to my posts.He didn’t have to (as far as we both knew at the time, we didn’t know each other) but was nevertheless very generous with his time.Let me say unequivocally, he is that same generous person today.
    Yesterday’s post was a poorly formulated attempt at having a little fun with Darcy…you see, I purchased some glorious hardwood flooring from him last week (thanks again Darcy!), and when I saw him we (once again) discussed the fact that the ‘beer’ was still outstanding from last season’s bet and that we really needed to find the time to get together and well, drink them.
    Unfortunately, the poorly written, somewhat lazy post could also be taken far too literally and in the end, placed Darcy in an awkward position of feeling the need to defend himself.This is very disappointing and completely my mistake.
    Darcy is my friend.I hope most of you understand this and read the post as nothing more than what it attempted to be…but for those that didn’t, let me assure you, Darcy is anything but a welcher.The idea of it is frankly, ludicrous.He is a thoughtful, generous person who is a pleasure to read on this site on a daily basis (and a great guy to drink beer with…).
    My apologies to anyone affected by yesterday’s post.I was tempted to simply remove the ill-fated post in it’s entirety, but alas, I’d rather respect the archive, own my error and let the record stand (unless others would prefer it removed from the thread).I will now time myself out for the day.
    See you on game day, gang!
    Woot! Woot!

PS – I too, enjoy Connor McDavid.

Lol

I hope my response didn’t add to this.

I took it as a joke between friends from the beginning.

Was just trying to add to the ribbing.

16. Pescador says:

bendelson,

I understood it as you were posting a light hearted jab.
    Same goes for his response, where he asked the blog; “what do I do about this?”
    I suggested he drink all the liquor & send you pictures of himself enjoying it!
    2 days ago you said “David Wilcox, lol”
    Which was greeted with a healthy “Fuck You Bendelson” which I thought was hilarious.
    The trick is understanding the difference between posters that are just trying to have fun with you, and posters who are just trying to be a Dick.
    As has been stated here before, sarcasm is very difficult to pick up in this medium.
    A light heart & thick skin is essential for the internet IMO.

17. Chachi says:

ruotsalainen:

The passage Woodguy quoted is phenomenal writing and just wanted you to know.

Rexi, its the playoffs, that’s the traditional time for you to chime in.

18. Pescador says:

Jethro Tull: Radiohead? I thought LT was going for something a little more upbeat. And Radiohead gives everything away for free. Fake Plastic Trees? Creep? Karma Police? All pretty negative.

Lowetide picks the band, why am I getting the lecture?
    I voted for Survivor

19. nvan97 says:

I said this on twitter yesterday and thought the people here would appreciate it as well.
    In his career Connor McDavid has gone without a point in back to back games 11 times (never gone 3 in a row). He has also had point streaks of >=4 games 11 times (4 games 5 times, 5 games 1 time, 6 games 1 time, 7 games 3 times, and his current 14 game streak) which means if history holds it is just as likely he registers a point in every game in a 4 game series as it is that he only scores in 2 of the games.

20. elgruntus says:

“There are healing moments in life just like that, where the things that drag you down and make you pay can be lit on fire in the yard—most of us just can’t find the way, don’t see the opportunity. Gifts come in different shapes and sizes”

Lowetide, this HAS to be a song! I’ll write the music, you provide the lyrics**. Next years RE will be
    songs by LoweGrunt.

**serious suggestion BTW

21. Chachi says:

bendelson:
    See you on game day, gang!
    Woot! Woot!

PS – I too, enjoy Connor McDavid.

Nicely said. Also, Fuck you Bendelson! Did I do that right?

22. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909’s 2017 NHL Playoff Death March is here!! Anyone can play!!

Here’s how to play: Predict the number of Oiler wins (0-16)and for tie breaking purposes choose how many losses they take(0-12) during the upcoming playoffs.

It’s easy!

For example:

hunter1909 predicts Oilers win 10 games, and lose 9 as they make the WCF.
    10-9

Entries accepted right up until the first puck drop of the Oilers 2017 playoffs.

23. flyfish1168 says:

Clay:
    Can you imagine Nathan MacKinnon on a line with McDavid?The nickname for that line would be “Blur and Rumor”.Opposing defencemen’s SU/60* would skyrocket.

*Soiled Underwear per 60 minutes

Anyway, there’s just no getting around how lucky we are as Oilers fans.It seems so silly to say given the hell we’ve been through, but to grow up watching 99 et al, and now to have my kids grow up watching 97… I almost feel guilty.

Nat would be nice. But I prefer to see Ovie on a line excepting Connors pass. Its like Big Rig with a Cannon.

24. Woodguy v2.0 says:

bendelson,

I appreciate that.

Thank you.

25. LMHF#1 says:

On Benning vs. Gryba in the playoffs:

First, it kinda stinks that this debate needs to occur. They really, REALLY needed to add another defenceman at the deadline.

Next, I’m not a believer in having a defenceman who gets beat wide by forwards with average speed as much as Gryba does on the roster. It’s too easy to lose games where you play well with that vulnerability.

The argument for Gryba will be physicality – the Oilers have more than enough of that.

Deeply concerned about both Russell and Gryba turning the puck over instead of making a transition pass. That, to me, is essentially this team’s only true weakness.

If you had “Steve Staios” and “Jaroslav Spacek”, or even “Matt Greene”, you’d be locked and loaded.

26. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:

Vrbata takes a lot of low quality shots.8.5% shooter last 4 years and clearly trending down from there.

We don’t need that. If they want someone to stand by the net and fire low speed wristers at the goalie’s crest, shots so weak that even Smitty would laugh, they can hire me.I’m cheap and I make great guacamole, so you know I’m good in the room.

TJ Oshie is 15% over the same period.UFA but I’m going to assume we don’t have the cap space for him.

Oshie is going to cost a ton and won’t live up to the contract.

Why?

Oshie’s sh% over time:
    Season iSh%
    20102011 9.33
    20112012 9.63
    20122013 9.52
    20132014 10.48
    20142015 11.76
    20152016 9.16
    20162017 26.14

He’s not really a career 15%, he’s just on the most amazing SH% heater that I’ve seen.

Playing with Backtrom and Ovi *must* help, but man, not even Kurri or Bossy would shoot 26% today.

If you hire Oshie, expect a 10% shooter (his career average if you remove this year), not a 15% shooter and certainly not a 26% shooter.

okay now that bendelson and WG are good, someone kick someone in the junk or this is going to be the worst bush part ever!

EP Transfers‏ @ep_transfers 1m1 minute ago
    Rumour: Jonas Gustavsson (G) | Bakersfield Condors -> Linköping HC | http://eliteprospects.com/t.php?id=302624 #SHL

28. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Chachi: Rexi, its the playoffs, that’s the traditional time for you to chime in.

Perfect

29. Roughneck says:

One more sleep.

30. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Woodguy v2.0,

That’s funny, I looked at each year for Vrbata but just looked at the 4 year total for Oshie. Oops.

Point stands though. It’s a safe enough bet that Vrbata will be a sub 8% shooter next year. I’d much rather give that opportunity to someone younger and cheaper.

Good asset management in my opinion is to develop players to feed off of McDavid in order to drive up their value, and then trade them. Rinse and repeat. Let’s have Pitlick (or anybody else) drive up their value and fetch us some new picks/prospects if they refuse to sign a value contract.

Play with McDavid for cheap or play somewhere else.

Maroon, you’re on deck.

31. Todd Macallan says:

EP Transfers‏ @ep_transfers1m1 minute ago
    MoreRumour: Jonas Gustavsson (G) | Bakersfield Condors -> Linköping HC | http://eliteprospects.com/t.php?id=302624#SHL

If this transfer is effective immediately, I wonder if the new hire Starrett comes in as a backup to Ellis. I imagine his contract starts next yr and would require an ATO.

32. Jethro Tull says:

Pescador: Lowetide picks the band,why am I getting the lecture?
    I voted for Survivor

It wasn’t meant as a lecture. Seriously, do you require emoticons?

33. rickithebear says:

jp:
    rickithebear,

What’s PvP at the end there?

The other 3 have also had a far higher ceiling than Eberle, but point taken.

Ceiling is a bull shit term!
    You want repeatability!

What can a player repeat at.
    Keith.
    Elite D scorer at 1st comp?
    Strong HD play?
    Not F…. Chance!

Sheltered by Hjarlmasson
    allowing him to face 2nd or lower
    Yup!

what do his situational peers do?
    Given 1244 comp/team/ZS
    the goal diff approx. averages for
    easiest +26
    Hardest -26
    you can check every players situational performance for any value associated to a position.
    Forwards
    CF& CA
    GF
    ……

Repeatable 20G 60P power vs power Forwards
    Eberle!

34. Woodguy v2.0 says:

EP Transfers‏ @ep_transfers1m1 minute ago

Sail on Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Goalie Man

35. so polar says:

hunter1909:
    Hunter1909’s 2017 NHL Playoff Death March is here!! Anyone can play!!

6W and 6L, please!

36. Truth says:

Hunter1909’s 2017 NHL Playoff Death March:

2 wins – 4 losses.

Note: I believe I predicted the Oilers get under 80 pts in the regular season guessing game….

37. Chachi says:

EP Transfers‏ @ep_transfers1m1 minute ago

38. Shane says:

hunter1909,

I’ll take 9-8 please Hunter sir!

39. blainer says:

Connor McDavid !!! I seriously doubt there is even a player better on any planet or the universe for that matter.

Next year I am hoping JP is ready to move into Drai’s spot by December.

Drai is ready to push the river now IMO.

if no cup this year it WILL be next year !!

40. Profit says:

Got my tickets for tomorrow. Making the drive up #2.

Little anecdote from the last run to get everyone in the mood:

I was a buyside analyst for an investment fund in Toronto. I flew to Edmonton to catch Game 3 vs. the Ducks, I feel like it was a Tuesday. I was humming and hawing over going, and one of my older cousins (a Vancouver fan, spits) said “You should go, might be the last time in your life you get to watch the Oilers in a playoff game”. I laughed, but him saying that stuck with me.

Edmonton won, going up 3-0 in that series. I was deliriously happy. I flew back on the red eye to Toronto (along with the HNIC crew), took a cab to my condo, showered, dressed and made it into work by 7:3ish.

My first meeting was at 9am with an energy services company based out of Grande Prairie. We sit down, the first thing they said was “We watched the Oilers game last night, good one huh?”. I responded with “I was there”. And their eyes got wide. My voice was gone and I looked like I hadn’t slept and they just burst out with a hundred questions. Then the meeting was just 75% Oilers talk.

I promised myself during the dark years that if/when the Oilers got back in, I’d be there.

So I’ll be there in my orange McDavid jersey.

See you all tomorrow.

Let’s go Oilers *clap clap clapclapclap*

41. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Woodguy v2.0,

That’s funny, I looked at each year for Vrbata but just looked at the 4 year total for Oshie.Oops.

Point stands though.It’s a safe enough bet that Vrbata will be a sub 8% shooter next year.I’d much rather give that opportunity to someone younger and cheaper.

Good asset management in my opinion is to develop players to feed off of McDavid in order to drive up their value, and then trade them.Rinse and repeat.Let’s have Pitlick (or anybody else) drive up their value and fetch us some new picks/prospects if they refuse to sign a value contract.

Play with McDavid for cheap or play somewhere else.

Maroon, you’re on deck.

Here’s the Oiler’s Forwards by shot rate: (Shot/60 5v5)

PITLICK, TYLER 10.69
    HENDRICKS, MATT 6.03
    LETESTU, MARK 5.48
    DRAISAITL, LEON 5.28
    POULIOT, BENOIT 4.92
    DESHARNAIS, DAVID 4.88
    LANDER, ANTON 3.89

Man if Pitty could stay healthy……….. he has a cannon too.

Maybe Sleppy would increase his volume with McDavid?

Its a small sample but here’s Pitlick’s Shot volume with and without McDavid:
    With 14.1/60
    Without 10.2/60

He’s a shooter regardless, but playing with McDavid might increase that.

Also,

Who you play with affects your SH% as well.

Good example is Eberle.

Hall is a great passer (top 5 1st assists in the league over last 5 years)

Eberle’s 5v5 SH% WOWY from 2011-2016

Overall 84 goals on 617 shots – 13.6%
    With Hall 41 goals on 237 shots – 17.3%
    Without Hall 43 goals on 380 shots – 11.3%

So you could expect anyone’s SH% to increase with McDavid as well.

I’m sure we see that with Oshie too but its gone way past reasonable.

42. Chachi says:

Are they going to take bets in Vegas on how quickly that team gets moved somewhere else?

43. jonrmcleod says:

If Radiohead is the choice for the RE series, it’s a choice that meets my approval (not that my approval matters). I’ll actually listen to the songs this time.

44. pts2pndr says:

Woodguy v2.0,

How about musical as in song titles such as “please help me I’m falling”, or “lets do the swim” or if he is truly leaving how ” leaving on a jet plane” . Jonas did give us some comic relief at times so I will wish him well.

45. Todd Macallan says:

Profit,

GREAT story. I have a similar tale, though unrelated to the 06 run and moreso just to the great fans that the Oilers have in general.

This winter I was in Edmonton for an interview for a medical residency position at the U of A. Of course I wore my good luck McDavid socks, which became a bit of a conversation piece and theme throughout the day.

Near the end of the day in a meeting with the heads of the program, my socks again caught the eye of one of them, this one a particularly rabid fan. The 15 minute meeting turned into essentially an intense grilling on the Oilers and their recent history (perhaps in a effort to make me prove my true fandom?), including questions like “name the 2 trades in the last 2 yrs that have contributed most to their recent success” and “outline a psychological framework to explain the basis of their losing over the last 10 yrs.”

Needless to say I thought this was an amazing line of questioning as we nerded out on the Oilers during what was supposed to be one of the most intense days of my life. I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that they are frequenters of this wonderful site. What great fans we have. GOILERS!!

46. Chachi says:

Most amazing Connor McDavid fact for me: Connor McDavid is so good that Logan Couture has yet to whine and cry about how much attention McDavid gets from the media.

47. Melman says:

hunter1909,

16-0 bitches.

Actually though, I’ll roll with 10-8 going out in the WCF in some very close games. Thanks Hunter!

48. Melman says:

For the RE series put me down for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. A) because they are awesome and have the catalogue and B) because the name fits the run the Oilers have had this season

49. Pastor of Disaster says:

Your closing paragraph on the McMagic of McDavid literally made me well up a little.

A Radiohead RE on the 20th anniversary of OK Computer is perfection.

50. Litke 94 says:

I will be at the game tomorrow. It cost probably a bit more than I would have liked, and yes, I am sure that the money could have went towards further savings for a down payment on a house in a few years, but as someone who takes a lot of stock in the actions of others, I couldn’t help but buy the ticket.

Why? Because if there is one glaring lesson that has hit me hard in the first 23 years of life, it is to check off the bucket list moments while you can (within reason, of course). I am sure there had to have been a few folks who thought about going in 2006, didn’t, and have had to wait more than a decade to get another chance.

So I will be at the game tomorrow, knowing that my decision to be there is within reason, and one that I will never forget. A bucket list item, checked off early. Thursday from work is booked off as well, because, why the hell not.

PS. I hear the bars will be selling orange crush and spiced rum as signature drinks for the games. That sounds mighty fine to me.

51. Woogie63 says:

Why is JJ back on the Oilers’ roster? Bakersfield is still in the playoff hunt …

Seems weird if he is going to be here and in the PB?

52. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    What’s the best thing about Connor McDavid?When he has the puck on his stick, and a foot of clean air, he does this rocket thing where everyone else stands still while he changes places on the chess board in a heartbeat. It’s like watching lapse time photography with only one object moving. It’s a trick, it’s magic. Except it’s real and he has the puck, all the time. That’s what makes him special.

Awesome.

Yes indeed, I was thinking the same as I was reading (and rereading) this passage. Brilliant writing, fabulous imagery. LT is a champ and we are “Lucky” to have him.

Speaking of which, great choice of Radiohead for this post and hopefully this series. My favourite band of the past 25 years.

As coincidence has it, I cited a Radiohead song in my most recent game grades post, one of their epic tunes “How To Disappear Completely” … w.r.t. Benoit Pouliot, natch.

53. Melvis says:

“this is going to be the worst bush part ever!”

I’d first suggest a trim. Have scissors – will travel.

54. rickithebear says:

when you look at multiple cup winners.
    there is a repeatative Goal diff from the Core.

CHI:
    Seabrook/+8/-1/+5
    Versteeg/+4/DP?+2
    Toews/-1/+9/+7
    Kane/-2/+7/+7

this core was
    +40 in 2010
    carried by Hjarlmasson; Hossa; Sharp; Seabook & Campbell +11; Sopel +7; Bolland +6

+54 in 2013
    Carried by Hjarlm; Hossa; Bickell; Keith ; Toews; Kane & Oduya +12; Rozival +10; Handzus +7

+55 in 2015
    Carried by Keith; Hjarlmasson; Hossa; Toews; Kane; Seabrook & Vermette +5; Saad +5

Do we have this type of core moving forward?

55. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy v2.0: Sail on Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Goalie Man

Speaking of great imagery, this is fantastic.

I won’t miss Gus, but I will always enjoy the memory of that save he made where the puck hit him right between the 5 and the 0.

56. 106 and 106 says:

hunter1909,

106 and 106 says 10-9 (predicts a 2-4 tooth-and-nail fight with the hawks).

57. Oddspell says:

Radiohead RE? I’ve been waiting for this! Although I figured it would come during a far darker year in Oilersdom. “Let Down”, “No Surprises”, “Creep”, “How to Disappear Completely”, “High and Dry”, “Blow Out”, “Bulletproof… I wish I was”, “Prove Yourself”, “Vegetable”, “Melatonin”, “We Suck Young Blood”, “Give Up The Ghost”, “The Butcher”, “Glass Eyes”. This list goes on and on and I can think of a dozen Oilers who apply. I mean, they wrote a song called “I Want None Of This”, I’m surprised they made it past the Eakins era!

Looking forward to seeing who gets “Everything in it’s right place”.

58. digger50 says:

LMHF#1:
    On Benning vs. Gryba in the playoffs:

I want to see Gryba in with Nurse.

Coach knows exactly what he’s getting and can plan accordingly. Gryba will prove valuable if the Oilers go deep. This pairing has decent numbers and protect the net like a pair of pit bulls.

Tmac has tried to get the old Benning back but he’s wobbly.

Home ice advantage Tmac should be able to shelter third pair. Though he’s had them out there for the last minute of the game several times when he wants the front of the net cleared.

59. Colieo87 says:

106 and 106:
    hunter1909,

106 and 106 says 10-9 (predicts a 2-4 tooth-and-nail fight with the hawks).

Hunter

Im going 11- 9 prediction. Thanks

60. JamesL says:

Very much off-topic, but an important question for any NYC Lowetidians: Anyone know of any bars in Manhattan where Oilers fans may be congregating to watch the Oilers/Sharks series? I’m going to G1 on Wednesday, but I’ll be in NYC for the rest of the series.

61. 106 and 106 says:

“He had 71 even-strength points.” Wow.

62. Aron_S says:

hunter1909,

6-6 please! I undershot the regular season by a healthy margin, so here’s hoping I undershoot the playoffs too!

63. McSorley33 says:

Benning’s recent slide does make the decision tougher, no question. However, I don’t see the
    Sharks as a physical team, at all.

Even during this rough patch, I find the Benning kid hits forwards – in stride – through the neutral zone.

So, for the first series, count me voting for Benning.

Now, if we were playing the Ducks I may have a different answer.

Regardless, it is so close now that I can’t really be too upset if Tmac does choose Eric.

64. Bruce McCurdy says:

frjohnk:

If he gets selfish, he will hit 400 shots in a year.

In (NHL) Year 2, Wayne Gretzky had 261 shots. In Year 3 he had 369.

He also raised his goal total from 55 to 92.

You’ll need to era-adjust for the goals, but the shots? Not so much (he said hopefully).

Of course the price of selfishness is a reduction in playmaking. In Year 3 the Great One saw his assists totals plummet from 109 to 120 … oh wait … nevermind

65. Lloyd B. says:

JamesL:

There is a backpacker around here that is the go to guy for NYC.

I think he is currently in Japan doing a tour so he may not have his ears up.

Maybe try to Beetlejuice him.

66. Dominoiler says:

LMHF#1,

Both Benning and Gryba will be better than a rookie season Matt Greene, imo..
    What says ye, good sir?..

67. Zeabs93 says:

Hunter

I’ll go 16-10. Go big or go home right boys!?

68. megahurts says:

I took Woodguy’s single metric predictor exercise yesterday all the way to the final if anyone is interested. It has Montreal vs. Minnesota in the final with Minnesota winning it all.

A question to Woodguy, how does CF% since March 1st stack up as a playoff predictor?

69. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Todd Macallan,

That’s amazing!

Did you get it?

70. Woodguy v2.0 says:

megahurts:

A question to Woodguy,how does CF% since March 1st stack up as a playoff predictor?

Almost as good as Fenwick, but not quite.

71. BONE207 says:

Chachi: Linköping should install mirrors behind the nets so that Gus can see the shots coming.

The Swedish Mirror Manufacturing Company advertises by attaching mirrors onto the teams helmets. That should make Gusto practically unbeatable.

72. stephen sheps says:

Radiohead? Just when I thought I couldn’t love this place any more than I already do. I had recommended my former favourite band (from my teenage years), thinking that my current favourite band (pretty much for the last 15 years) wouldn’t be an option for the RE series.

And yet here we are.

Another poster mentioned the 20th anniversary of OK Computer. The good folks at Pitchfork recently devoted an entire week to celebrating this moment, and for those interested it can be found here: http://pitchfork.com/features/ok-computer-at-20/

Another really great read about what it’s like to experience Radiohead live is here: http://www.stereogum.com/1933958/confessions-of-a-fanboy-who-drove-10-hours-to-see-radiohead/franchises/sounding-board/

I’ve seen hundreds of shows over my lifetime including some of the all-time greats. Hell, the Stones were my first (voodoo lounge tour at Commonwealth, just shy of my 13th birthday – a bar mitzvah gift from my dad’s best friend), but nothing compares to Radiohead live. Absolutely nothing.

Oh yeah, that Connor kid? He’s pretty great, too.

Also, playoffs!!!!! I still can’t quite get over how good it feels to know that the team is in the post-season. Tomorrow is going to be fun.

73. Coffeys_Messy_eh says:

Wow! I feel incredibly honoured that my (and possibly others’, although I didn’t notice any) suggestion for the RE music has come to pass. First playoffs, and then this!

74. PrairieOil says:

Litke 94,

Have a great time at the game. I think I’ll be drinking this tomorrow night: http://bartenderapp.com/cocktails/pat-quinn

75. hunter1909 says:

Roughneck:
    One more sleep.

“Sleeping’s for squirts.” Richard Widmark(Kiss of Death 1947)…if you want to see a seriously cool Hollywood movie, check this one out.

76. hunter1909 says:

@Lowetide: How’s about movies? Let’s face it, having to comb-over the same pop tracks over and over and over…starts to get old.

77. hunter1909 says:

I’ll kick off the movies thing by nominating the films of John Ford.

: p

78. stephen sheps says:

PrairieOil:
    Litke 94,

Of course given that Quinn was Irish, I do find it a tad perplexing that the recipe calls for scotch, not Irish whisky, but the comment still stands – why would you do that to your whisky?

79. Chachi says:

hunter1909:
    I’ll kick off the movies thing by nominating the films of John Ford.

: p

I would prefer old episodes of Six Gun Justice.

80. edwards_daddy says:

hunter1909,

Hunter – put me down for a heartbreaking Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong 15W and 12L

81. Chachi says:

stephen sheps: I appreciate the sentiment, but why would you do that to your scotch? (Unless of course it’s some awful blend like Bell’s or Grant’s… in which case carry on)

82. hunter1909 says:

stephen sheps: Of course given that Quinn was Irish, I do find it a tad perplexing that the recipe calls for scotch, not Irish whisky, but the comment still stands

As someone who “enjoys” both Scots and Irish DNA in spades…

There is no problem with Scotch.

83. hunter1909 says:

In fact, I have a scotch story for today:

Earlier I was in the presence of someone who appeared literally potentially ready to drop dead with a heart attack…fainting being the 1st stage of whatever…

I was fortunate to possess an unopened bottle of 12 year old which quite fortuitously saved the moment.

84. stephen sheps says:

hunter1909: There is no problem with Scotch.

85. khildahl says:

Well, that drink is appropriately named. It would be as hard to swallow as Quinn’s coaching decisions were.

86. stephen sheps says:

Chachi: That’s a fancy dan drink for a bunch of Barbara Ann Scotts. In my day they used to garnish a drink like that with an onion you wore on your belt as was the fashion in the day.

Well played. OTC, Gords rest his soul, was the master of the art of telling stories that would lead to nowhere better than anyone this side of Shelbyville… or is it Morganville, which is what they called it in those days.

87. Dominoiler says:

rickithebear:
    when you look at multiple cup winners.
    there is a repeatative Goal diff from the Core.

this core was
    +40in 2010

+54 in 2013

+55 in 2015

Do we have this type of core moving forward?

Id look at it a little differently, but found it interesting..

by forward unit and top 2 pair

1st Pair (+28)
    Larsson +21
    Klefbom +7

2nd Pair (+19)
    Sekera +14
    Russell +5

But a lot of this is double or triple (quadruple and quintuple) counting the goals for and against.. so not really sure if this has any value?.. It does show off that top line tho, which isnt really news, but, again, it’s CMD for the win..

88. digger50 says:

stephen sheps: I agree wholeheartedly. My point was about the cocktail, which calls for orange soda to be added to scotch for some reason. I was wondering why anyone would want to ruin a perfectly good whiskey by adding that foul stuff to it (or really anything other than maybe a drop of water or two, an ice cube if necessary, or if it’s Johnny Red, a splash of soda water)

There is a very popular soda in Scotland called “Iron Brew” which is basically a very old version of orange crush. It finds its way into the drinks at times to tame them a little, just as we do with Coke a Cola.

89. Pouzar says:

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
    Lucic-Nuge-Ebs
    Caggs-Letestu-Kassian
    Pouliot-Desharnais-Paka-f^ckin-rinen.
    Khaira-Hendricks-Slepy

90. Mr. D. says:

LMHF#1:
    On Benning vs. Gryba in the playoffs:

That’s interesting. The coaches like Grybas first pass. You must know more.

91. Todd Macallan says:

Woodguy v2.0,

I ranked one school out east here higher and got it, so I will never know if my Oiler responses pleased them or not haha. Although Edmonton is my hometown, wasn’t quite ready to leave NL yet!

92. hunter1909 says:

digger50: There is a very popular soda in Scotland called “Iron Brew”

I have vomited Irn Bru at the crack of dawn.

93. hunter1909 says:

stephen sheps: I was wondering why anyone would want to ruin a perfectly good whiskey by adding that foul stuff to it

Whatever they decide to pass off as “scotch” it probably won’t be anything worth fretting over. More like moonshine from a local still.

94. Ice Sage says:

hunter1909: I have vomited Irn Bru at the crack of dawn.

How did she take that?

95. Gerta Rauss says:

2 thumbs up to Radiohead

I kind of lost track of them after OK Computer-I’m looking forward to catching up with old friends

96. Gerta Rauss says:

bendelman,

I think most of us long timers figured your post was meant tongue in cheek and it went sideways on you..no harm done

97. hungoverman says:

Hi Hunter. Thanks for doing these. Please put me down for 9 wins 8 losses. Oilers out in third round.
    Thanks as well to LT as always!

98. PrairieOil says:

Curiosity coupled with dubious taste will win the day. I’m off to buy some rotgut and Crush. If the boys win tomorrow superstition will require continued consumption. GOilers!

99. khildahl says:

PrairieOil:

Dubious and dubiouser…

100. The Original JDI says:

Jethro Tull: I thought LT was going for something a little more upbeat.

And I’m all out of poppy seed tea!

101. The Original JDI says:

hunter1909,

Huntsman – put me down for 11 – 7 please.

And again, thanks for being so contestuous.

102. npanciroli says:

Don’t know if anyone else is in any playoff pools, but thought I would share my picks. This pool is especially important as it is my wife’s family and I have won 3 of the last 5.

We have a Stanley Cup that we engrave every year with the winners name. The first year they let me join when my wife and I were engaged, but when I won they put an asterisk beside my name as I wasn’t technically part of the family yet. it has been my goal since that asterisk to crush the competition every year.

So far, so good.

Went with this:

Washington 5
    Montreal 7
    CBJ 6
    Boston 6
    Minnesota 7
    Chicago 6
    Anaheim 5
    Edmonton 6

Good luck to all the other playoff poolies!

103. Bruce McCurdy says:

Gerta Rauss:
    2 thumbs up to Radiohead

Get Kid A.

Listen to Kid A.

Listen to Kid A again.

104. LMHF#1 says:

Mr. D.: That’s interesting. The coaches like Grybas first pass. You must know more.

Probably.

I can hit the boards and glass too – guess I missed my calling as an Edmonton Oilers defenceman.

105. RISTOOOOO SILTANEN!!!! says:

hunter1909: I have vomited Irn Bru at the crack of dawn.

I am completely in awe of this degenerate moment.*slow clap

Good Sir, please put me down for 14-11. Founded on nothing rational, but includes my fantasy scenario of a 4-2 drubbing of the godless Falmes.

106. LMHF#1 says:

Dominoiler:
    LMHF#1,

Both Benning and Gryba will be better than a rookie season Matt Greene, imo..
    What says ye, good sir?..

Benning would be if he was healthy. He’s been struggling.

Greene wouldn’t get beat wide very much. When I’m watching and as a former defenceman as well, this is a huge tell for me. If average players are beating you wide on a regular basis, you’re not good enough. It is my main criticism of Gryba. He’s not bad, just a #7/8. Greene’s issue was penalties.

107. Pouzar says:

My Butt Hurt colleagues are all pickin San Jose.
    Love it.

108. khildahl says:

LMHF#1,

There’s an image fixed in my brain of one of the coaches attempting to console a distraught Greene on the bench during the ’06 run after he’d been penalized yet again.

I recall he got sent to the box for some really questionable plays (not to say they were all undeserved). He seemed to get singled out for extra zebra attention for some reason.

109. Offside says:

i object to predictions regarding the Oilers record being called the Death March. It was appropriate during the decade of darkness, but perhaps a rebranding is in order

110. elgruntus says:

khildahl:
    LMHF#1,

I recall he got sent to the box for some really questionable plays (not to say they were all undeserved).He seemed to get singled out for extra zebra attention for some reason.

I concur. I remember the announcers (Cole, et al) praising Chelios for repeated uncalled muggings, lauding his “veteran play”, whilst Greene got ticketed for what seemed to be crossing the blue line.

111. Aron_S says:

khildahl,

Hahaha, I recall that moment! It was Huddy and I feel like it was in one of the later series, maybe the Final?

Speaking of Greene: one of the funniest moments ever during a Geno interview:

112. Todd Macallan says:

Bruce McCurdy: Get Kid A.

Listen to Kid A.

Listen to Kid A again.

This. So much this.

113. Pouzar says:

Bakersfield Condors (@Condors) · Twitter

We have signed Evan Campbell and Evan Polei to ATO deals. Campbell will wear 13. Polei will wear 33. #GetIN

114. The Original JDI says:

Aron_S: one of the funniest moments ever during a Geno interview:

That moment the Metamusil (intentional) kicks in.

115. Lloyd B. says:

Pouzar,

That should satisfy the Evan quota.

116. khildahl says:

elgruntus,

I came to immensely dislike Chelios during that series because of that crap. Also, he wore flipflops to a steakhouse and left used Kleenex everywhere (seriously).

117. Ducey says:

3 of 4 of the Analytics guys at Sportsnet have picked the Oilers to get at least into the third round. The other has them making it to the second.

I have never heard of any of these guys, but wow.

118. hunter1909 says:

Offside:

To paraphrase the Death March lawyers, you fall at the first hurdle.

It was never appropriate.

119. Ducey says:

Lloyd B.:
    Pouzar,

That should satisfy the Evan quota.

You have to sign them in pairs.

120. Chachi says:

Ducey: You have to sign them in pairs.

121. dessert1111 says:

Hunter, put me down for 11-8 please.

I remember when I did my regular season prediction of 100 points someone asked what I’d been smoking… Apparently not enough!

122. thurmtim says:

Put me down for 11-9, please. I hope I’m as wrong as my regular season guess of 91 pts….

123. Acumen says:

Hunter, put me in for 14-11. Series wins against SJ (4-2), CGY (4-2) and CHI (4-3), before losing to Washington in the Finals.

I’m an optimist.

124. hunter1909 says:

dessert1111:
    Hunter, put me down for 11-8 please.

I was crazy enough to go for 102. Something about the 1971 Montreal Canadiens points total minus what I thought was 5 points lol.

Turns out I remembered the Blackhawks record.

125. Mantis says:

Chachi: Also, Fuck you Bendelson! Did I do that right?

Somewhere, Bookje feels an enormous weight lift of his shoulders, but doesn’t know why…

126. Ducey says:

Chachi: I hope the essence of all those Evans brings the Condors to life so they make the playoffs.

Evan “Steven” Campbell went 33 1 4 5 in the NCAA.

No a lot of life bringing there, me thinks.

Polei looks interesting.

127. New Improved Darkness says:

Bruce McCurdy:

Are you attempting to suggest here that someone as cerebral as Hašek never once left the house with his shirt on backwards? A likely story.

A guy like Hašek, well, he probably has some mittenstrings in his deep, dark childhood.

I foresee, as the light begins to fade on a long and glorious life lived to the fullest, he’ll be faintly heard to mutter bmrtnstrg, and the visitor beside the bed will rush down the corridor to fetch a doctor, and an alarm is sounded, and several doctors come running, but it turns out he didn’t swallow his tongue after all—it was just a final, soft rattle. Then the hospital will PA fialová, a special code used only by the Czech Republic, which means, in essence, “false alarm, as we all suspected, no patient just swallowed his tongue after all”.

On the plus side, Czech actually has a word one can fully pronounce and articulate after imbibing one’s tongue all the way to the fleshy root bottom, which loosely translates to “I really, really, really just swallowed my tongue—and this time I’m not joking”.

128. maudite says:

Radiohead…shucks. I was hoping for loverboy/trooper.

129. blainer says:

npanciroli:

So far, so good.

Went with this:

Washington 5
    Montreal 7
    CBJ 6
    Boston 6
    Minnesota 7
    Chicago 6
    Anaheim 5
    Edmonton 6

Good luck to all the other playoff poolies!

Man this is just too funny.

These are exactly my predictions as well.

I think you have a great shot at another cup !!

130. Chachi says:

Ducey: Evan “Steven” Campbell went 33 1 4 5 in the NCAA.

No a lot of life bringing there, me thinks.

Polei looks interesting.

131. The Original JDI says:

To quote the Bobfather regarding the Hart trophy, “It’s not even close.”

132. square_wheels says:

Ducey,

Polei is a big grumpy forward that can actually play. As good a bet for a Maroon-like career in a couple years.

He was originally a Wings pick and it always pissed me off they grabbed him when he was in Red Deer under the Oilers nose.

133. North of the Wall says:

Anyone familiar with where the best chance to catch the game tomorrow in Palm Springs?

134. Alpine says:

Really impressed with the Radiohead choice, LT. As one of the likely youngest readers of this blog, Radiohead are probably the first group used in the RE series that I’m truly very familiar with. I hope Optimistic, Lotus Flower, and Ful Stop all get attached to an Oiler RE. I’ll hold my breath for Decks Dark too.

135. admiralmark says:

Clay:

*Soiled Underwear per 60 minutes

Re MacKinnon: I don’t think it’s stretch to say we’d be seeing a 130 pt season again in the NHL.

136. Spartacus says:

Whoops, posted this at the tail end of the last thread. Just in case…

Hunter,

14 wins

10 losses

Oilers forever!

137. hunter1909 says:

Alpine: As one of the likely youngest readers of this blog, Radiohead are probably the first group used in the RE series that I’m truly very familiar with.

All that energy.

138. New Improved Darkness says:

Meanwhile, back at the cafeteria, on break, the designated slab gopher feels his pocket buzz shortly after code fialová echoes through the vaulted ceilings.

“Poor bastard,” he mutters, while fumbling for the text, “this one would have been better off if he had swallowed his tongue.”

He finally digs up his device, without either spilling his coffee—even hospitals in the Czech Republic employ those spindly, three-legged courtyard tables—or giving himself too much of a permanent while-you-remain-seated nutsack-wedgie.

“Oh, crap, room 20220—the Ivana suite.” Spits. “Well, I think I can guess who this one is. Man, he deserved better.”

Takes a careful sip of his almost scalding brew. In the Czech Republic, no one—not even a hospital dietitian—is willing to risk being sued over serving a unscalding beverage.

“Well, no point picking this one up while he’s stllwrm. He’s probably a wrgglr, too.”

Indeed, slab gophers soon learn to not rush their morning coffees unless it just can’t wait. And it usually can. Why, the gurney overflow nooks contain not more than a single bed each, and haven’t since last Friday—no—the one before that, it was mid-month payday.

———

Later that morning.

Chief coroner: Hey, who the heck just left that drawer wide open—and occupied, too. Now I’ve got condensation forming on my favourite pen!

Senior slab gopher: Er, that was I.

Chief coroner: Ivan! You know better than that … what’s with you today?

Ivan: My bad, Dr Masopust, only I didn’t exactly leave it open. It’s just that I’m closing it very slowly.

Doctor Masopust: What in trnntn?

Ivan: The drawer seems to be, uh, not cooperating.

Doctor Masopust: Well, just shift him to a free drawer then, and we’ll get HVAC down here right away.

Ivan: No, it’s not like that. It slides normally, like any other drawer. Then just when you think it’s going to click shut, it jams up—and you go to clear the jam, and it’s a hand, or an elbow, or a knee, or a heel, or a chin—

Doctor Masopust: —orly?

Ivan: Srsly! This is like no stiff you’ve seen before. It’s almst like this pr bastrd’s afrd of the drk.

Doctor Masopust: Okay, then. So what’s the plan, Stan?

Ivan: Four inches, every half hour, ibid. Look here—he’s already blue to the shins. No more flying ankles for this guy!

Doctor Masopust: Ah, the old relentless pwnwlk. Unorthodox for a mortuary, but good thinking.

In the Czech Republic, this would actually be a bit of a poisoned compliment, if they weren’t such old hands, and basically friends. Consider that, in the slab gopher trade—with such a very long history in old world Europe—a reputation for “thinking” too much can get you shuffled off to the formaldehyde room; not so much call these days as they’re used to be for human taxidermy, but with these older facilities, it’s no easy matter to revise the floor plan. Besides, in a far-thinking society one does not decommission over just any minor fad!

Ivan was about to speak, only he’s interrupted by a strange sound.

Eerie, disembodied voice: Indeed, highly unorthodox. Talk about stubborn! Any other person’s king would have bent over double and folded the ghost fifteen moves ago! But not this guy … halfway into the grave … no, scratch that, pretty much all the way into the grave, and he’s still flailing away … and it’s working, too … I just don’t get it, but time, as always, remains on my side—only, the hell of it, I’m just not used to working overtime after a done deal …

Doctor Masopust: Okay, then. That confirms it. Resume operation pwnwlk for as long as it takes.

Ivan elects not to comment on Doctor Masopust heeded the strange voice without so much as batting a startled eyelash. Besides, Ivan’s still a youngish man, with other fish to fry.

Ivan: Don’t say that … I’ve got lady plans after work.

Doctor Masopust: Seriously, the day is still young, his shins are turning blue, and—moreover, in addition, furthermore—he’s already dead. Just how long do you think this could take?

Ivan: What about your pen?

Doctor Masopust: No problem, I’ll just switch to my four-colour plastic Bic job.

Ivan: But you hate that pen!

Doctor Masopust: Not really. It’s just slow to begin writing in cold, humid conditions. But it never trickles or drips. Even with a drawer open. I don’t know what it is about this place, but a cold, unexpected drip on the kneecap makes my heart skip a beat, every darn time.

———

Little did they know, it was going to take a suspect bullet after the 05:00 five-oh shift change.

Hašek and Belfour made 50 and 53 saves, respectively, in a sudden-death triple-overtime duel that only ended when Hull scored a controversial cup-winning goal with one foot ajar in blue paint.

Hašek would long regret that briefest split-second where his fiftieth save reminded him of the fifty-move limit.

———

[Sentence added in somewhat late edit.]

139. Ribs says:

Yes, Radiohead. We don’t want to get too excited about these playoffs! Their nauseating droning-ons will help balance us somewhere between rioting Whyte Ave in our Oilers underoos, and shooting ourselves in the face with shotguns! Haha, perfect.

140. Scungilli says:

Love OK computer

141. The Original JDI says:

hunter1909: All that energy.

What’s that saying? Youth is wasted on the young?

142. spoiler says:

LT said…

When Crosby was a kid power plays roamed the earth untamed…

This is such a good line.

143. hunter1909 says:

The Original JDI: What’s that saying? Youth is wasted on the young?

Three piece bands are fast but they’re not the Band of Gypsies.