FOUR CONDORS FLY NORTH, ONE HEADS TO FINLAND, LEON DODGES BULLET

The Edmonton Oilers grabbed a bunch of Condors for the rest of the playoffs today, and made (I believe) an astute move in sending Jesse Puljujarvi to the World Hockey Championships. This little break in the schedule gives us a chance to discuss the non-starters (including the callups) on the current roster. Let’s have a look.

• G Nick Ellis. I think this recall is an indication the organization noticed his strong pro debut. Ellis finished with a .918SP, good for No. 4 among AHL rookies. Laurent Brossoit will get first shot at the backup job this fall, but how will things look this time next year?
  • LD Griffin Reinhart. I may be wrong, but suspect GR is still in the plans for the Oilers. Why? PC likes defensive defensemen and he likes bigger players (Reinhart has been 6.04, 212 the whole time). He is my bet for 7D to open camp in the fall.
  • RD Mark Fayne. One more year to go on his deal, Oilers will probably try to offload him to the Vegas Golden Knights. I still think he can help, but there’s no sense in bringing him back for another year of AHL play. A buyout seems reasonable.
  • LD Jordan Oesterle. I think he may have the brightest future among these three defenders, partly because of foot speed. If I’m George McPhee, the two most attractive Oilers free agents this summer are Oesterle and Tyler Pitlick.
  • LC Jujhar Khaira. I’m disappointed the Oilers haven’t included him in the rotation more, but also mindful that his level of play after returning wasn’t at previous levels. I believe the club should protect him in the expansion draft.
  • LC Anton Lander. You can make a strong case that Lander should be in tomorrow night’s lineup and I would concur. He can PK, he has some edge to him and he has scored at acceptable rates in recent NHL seasons.
  • L Joey Laleggia. This is a nice touch, and I think a good sign the organization is paying attention to minor league success. Laleggia, as we have discussed, spiked offensively when moved to forward. It could be a flash in the pan, best to see how this plays out by signing him. This recall shows faith in this player.
  • R Jesse Puljujarvi. Oilers say they can recall him if needed, but I like the fact he will be playing. JP had a tough start to the year (recovery from surgery) and posted a less than dynamic minor league year. A strong showing at the WHC’s could be just the ticket.

Leon Draisaitl is way smarter than this and frankly he’s not that kind of player. He did make a terrible decision and paid for it last night with a significant in-game penalty. I don’t think there’s much to say beyond it, hopefully Leon and his teammates can figure out why they keep getting penalties.

86 Responses to "FOUR CONDORS FLY NORTH, ONE HEADS TO FINLAND, LEON DODGES BULLET"

1. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Wonder if the Sharks will attempt to extract a pound of flesh from Draisitl tomorrow night or if they leave it be with the fine?

2. JDI Хоккей says:

Jason Gregor‏Verified account @JasonGregor

PPs by series:
    PIT-CBJ 11-9
    MTL-NYR 13-12
    WSH-TOR 11-9
    BOS-OTT 10-10
    CHI-NSH 7-5
    MIN-STL 10-9
    CGY-ANA 13-11
    SJ-EDM 22-12
    #NHLPlayoffs

3. delooper says:

SJ is too mature a team to go for revenge. They just want to win. Something the Oilers are a few steps away from, unfortunately.

//Leon Draisaitl is way smarter than this and frankly he’s not that kind of player. He did make a terrible decision and paid for it last night with a significant in-game penalty.//

Draisaitl does have a bit of a history…

“For Draisaitl, this tournament was a bit of a mixed bag. On the one hand, he played well when he was in the lineup. But staying in the lineup was the problem for the big German, who plays for the WHL’s Prince Albert Raiders. Draisaitl received game misconducts twice and was suspended once over the course of this tournament, depriving him of valuable ice time and his team of its best player.
    Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/102355/2014-wjc-video-leon-draisaitl-germany/#kXcWhD3oubWj48g1.99

If one is going to do bad things, one has to do it with clean hits OR be sneaky dirty, like the douchebag down the highway. One also has to pick ones moments better when one wants to show the opposition that one might be capable of “crazy”. Controlled “crazy” means one is still in control. Uncontrolled “crazy” means the other guy is in control.

JDI Хоккей:
    Jason Gregor‏Verified account @JasonGregor

PPs by series:
    PIT-CBJ 11-9
    MTL-NYR 13-12
    WSH-TOR 11-9
    BOS-OTT 10-10
    CHI-NSH 7-5
    MIN-STL 10-9
    CGY-ANA 13-11
    SJ-EDM 22-12
    #NHLPlayoffs

Oilers lack of discipline has been the story for sure.

6. JDI Хоккей says:

Lowetide: Oilers lack of discipline has been the story for sure.

I blame the Trilateral Commission.

7. speeds says:

Completely off topic, but maybe someone here can help me out:

Anyone know why I might be having video issues on my TV, with video coming from a PC laptop via HDMI, and playing on iTunes?

8. treevojo says:

godot10:

Draisaitl does have a bit of a history…

If one is going to do bad things, one has to do it with clean hits OR be sneaky dirty, like the douchebag down the highway.One also has to pick ones moments better when one wants to show the opposition that one might be capable of “crazy”.Controlled “crazy” means one is still in control.Uncontrolled “crazy” means the other guy is in control.

That’s “one” way to look at it!

9. DBO says:

Lander is also good at getting under the skin of the opposition, something we can use. He is gritty, chippy, and can play up here and is a definite improvement on Desharnais. Add him to fourth line, rest McDavid for the PK so he is more fresh and doesn’t wear down.

#FreeAnton!!!!!!!!!!!

10. JDI Хоккей says:

speeds: The playback seems pretty good on the PC, but gets choppy and glitchy every now and then through the HDMI on the TV?

Have you defined the paths correctly in your autoexec.bat file?

Seriously, this shouldn’t be an issue with HDMI. I would try:

If you have the PC display and the TV display configured to both be on at the same time, I would change that so that just the TV display is active.

Edit: Also check to see that the settings for the resolution on the TV display aren’t cranked up too high.

11. Caller Zen says:

speeds:
    Completely off topic, but maybe someone here can help me out:

Any chance it might your internet connection? I know mine at peak traffic times can bottleneck and this makes streaming choppy. If it’s not the internet speed, it could be hardware, but more info is needed about the specs of your PC and TV.

12. stephen sheps says:

DBO:

#FreeAnton!!!!!!!!!!!

From the previous thread in case you didn’t see it… I wrote something just for you:

I know I’m a broken record, but as the secretary/treasurer of the Anton Lander Appreciation Society (ALAS… as in alas, he’ll never actually be set free…DBO is the sitting president, but one day I’ll defeat him), I hope he draws in for DD tomorrow night. It won’t happen, but a man can dream.
    #FreeAnton (am I doing this right?)

13. speeds says:

JDI Хоккей: Have you defined the paths correctly in your autoexec.bat file?

Seriously, this shouldn’t be an issue with HDMI. I would try:

The resolution is the same, both the computer and TV are set at 60 Hz. It’s currently set up to clone the display to the TV, I’ll change that and see what happens

14. T0ML says:

OK

You guys have convinced me

#FREEEEEAAAANNNNTTTOOOOOnnnnnn

Caveat…..He MUST, and this is nonnegotiable …. Have the Pirate Beard, No ifs’ and’s or Butt’s…..

Hopefully the boys do what they did after the buffalo game ..ANd come out and play a strong, smart, game like they did vs the Hurricanes.

15. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: Oilers lack of discipline has been the story for sure.

The 5-on-3 penalty and everything beyond, sure. The Oilers deserved what they got at that point and took it on the chin.

But up until then, the Oilers were not the “veteran team” so the 50/50 calls just won’t go their way naturally. I can think of maybe 5 or 6 penalties that were assessed to the Oilers in the first 3 games that could be called “undeserved”.

I agree, the Sharks probably deserve an advantage in calls due to out skating the Oilers at times, but at no point do I think it’s fair to be bordering on a two-to-one advantage in penalties.

16. speeds says:

Caller Zen: Any chance it might your internet connection? I know mine at peak traffic times can bottleneck and thismakes streaming choppy.If it’s not the internet speed, it could be hardware, but more info is needed about the specs of your PC and TV.

This is for stuff I purchased and have already downloaded to my laptop (HP Pavilion). My TV is an LG, 47 inch LCD (it says 120Hz “Trumotion” but I have that turned off, so as I understand it it should be 60 Hz – the computer won’t let me change that to any higher than 60Hz in any event.

17. The Hermit says:

“The Edmonton Oilers grabbed a bunch of Condors for the rest of the playoffs today, and made (I believe) an astute move in sending Jesse Puljujarvi to the World Hockey Championships.”

I’m in full agreement with you.

“LD Griffin Reinhart. I may be wrong, but suspect GR is still in the plans for the Oilers. Why? PC likes defensive defensemen and he likes bigger players (Reinhart has been 6.04, 212 the whole time). He is my bet for 7D to open camp in the fall.”

I feel that Griffin Reinhart would be the choice from the Oilers by the Vegas Golden Knights, unless Chiarelli makes a trade with them inducing them to choose another player.

18. Centre of attention says:

stephen sheps,

I was recently corrected by WheatnOil on twitter. The correct form of salute is #AntonFanders and yes, it is a separate society than the Mark Fayne & Benoit Pouliot marching & chowder societies.

19. stephen sheps says:

Centre of attention: it is a separate society than the Mark Fayne & Benoit Pouliot marching & chowder societies.

I’m gonna pull a JDI and just leave this here for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0R6QO9LooI

20. Centre of attention says:

To quote Mr. Shattenkirk, the Caps are looking ‘horny’ in their own zone again.

21. Ryan says:

godot10,

I am not defending his actions, but no one has mentioned the three spears to the groin that Draisatl took from jumbo Joe late in the season.

Joe Thornton got neither a penalty nor a fine.

Tierney just sold it better.

22. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Ryan,

Not sure how I missed those plays, as I watched all of those games… happen to have a video/link handy??

23. Rake 2.0 says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey,

It was all on one play. A faceoff in the sharks zone if I’m not mistaken. I found a tweet about it.

Mark Spector‏ @SportsnetSpec

Thornton loses draw to Draisaitl, AND HE SNAPS! Crosscheck to back, slash to leg, spear in belly.
    How’s that fer your leiderhosen, son?

24. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

stephen sheps,

– Great post LT! And I love this exchange between 2 of my favourite posters: SS and DBO: so tender,re: Lander!

– , re: Lander: Would you rather?:

1) Griff or Lander
    2) Griff or JJ
    3) Griff or Letestu
    4) Griff or Fayne

– Honestly,except for what we paid for Grif,who cares?
    * please take Fayne vs Griff though!

25. Receptor Antagonist says:

speeds: The resolution is the same, both the computer and TV are set at 60 Hz.It’s currently set up to clone the display to the TV, I’ll change that and see what happens

60hz is the refresh rate I believe, I think what JDI was saying was make sure the resolutions ie:1080p 780p 480etc, are matching, although I believe if they’re not matching you probably won’t get any picture.

If you ahven’t already tried it, I’d test it with another HDMI cord, I had a similar problem once and it turned out the actual cord was what was faulty.

You may also want to look into how old your video card drivers are on your computer and update those if they’re not up to date.

26. JDI Хоккей says:

Receptor Antagonist: I think what JDI was saying was make sure the resolutions ie:1080p 780p 480etc, are matching

More so to make sure the TV settings weren’t set too high, and to offload GPU load by only having one display on when using the TV.

Receptor Antagonist: another HDMI cord

That’s another solid option.

Receptor Antagonist: video card drivers

Also not bad. I just bought a used 2012 HP Elitebook, and I was impressed with how recent a lot of the drivers were on HP’s website, and also with how easy it was to find and download them. Entered the model number, and clicked on drivers and software. They even had a very recent BIOS update.

27. stephen sheps says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – , re: Lander: Would you rather?:
    1) Griff or Lander
    2) Griff or JJ
    3) Griff or Letestu
    4) Griff or Fayne
    – Honestly,except for what we paid for Grif,who cares?
    * please take Fayne vs Griff though!

Can I have a bit of context? Like, are we talking who would I prefer taken in the expansion draft?

If so, I think I’d rather Fayne vs. Griff, though it might be fun if they somehow took both. Like LT, I think Griff is going to be the 7D on the Oilers next season. I hope the kid makes it, I really do.

I would honestly hate to see Lander in Vegas, despite the fact that it’s likely his last potential chance at a long (or at least viable) NHL career.

He’s going to go to Russia, thrive in the K where speed is less of an issue and his big hockey brain will be valued. He’ll have the time and space he needs to be successful, and given the lack of NHL participation in the Olympics, I think Lander will have a very good shot at wearing the tre kroner sweater in Korea next winter. And with the KHL schedule being a lot shorter, he’ll have more time to spend with his family and will certainly be much closer to them now that they’ve returned to Sweden as well.

This is why I hope he draws into the lineup tomorrow – it’s likely the only chance he’s going to get to be in the NHL playoffs in what I hope will still be a long and productive career.

28. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

stephen sheps,

My context is expansion: In the eyes of LV, :

1) Griff or Lander
    2) Griff or JJ
    3) Griff or Letestu
    4) Griff or Fayne

– None pop out at me as “oh my, we need this guy”

– If we lose Griff so be it: save his sunk cost, the 7th D for next year doesn’t move our needle (or LV’s)

29. The Hermit says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: My context is expansion: In the eyes of LV, :
    1) Griff or Lander
    2) Griff or JJ
    3) Griff or Letestu
    4) Griff or Fayne
    – None pop out at me as “oh my, we need this guy”

1) I think Griff as Lander is going to the KHL next year.
    2) I think Griff over JJ, although both will be cheap.
    3) Cheap Griff over older more expensive Letestu.
    4) Can’t see Vegas choosing Fayne. Older, slow, expensive.

30. leadfarmer says:

Well how about those Sens

31. JDI Хоккей says:

George Canyonero should stick to songs where a fake drawl is more appreciated.

32. Todd Macallan says:

The intro and anthems in Calgary might be the worst I’ve ever heard, and this is me trying to be as objective as possible, considering it’s the Flames (spits).

Edit: JDI beat me to it.

33. JDI Хоккей says:

Todd Macallan: JDI beat me to it.

If I had included my thoughts on the music during the intros, it would have been much closer.

34. stephen sheps says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    stephen sheps,

My context is expansion: In the eyes of LV, :

1) Griff or Lander
    2) Griff or JJ
    3) Griff or Letestu
    4) Griff or Fayne

– None pop out at me as “oh my, we need this guy”

Agreed – none of the options are necessarily stunning. I have a feeling it’s going to be Pouliot that’s taken in the end. He’s versatile, checks off a lot of boxes, and McPhee likely knows Pouliot’s history from his days both in WAS and NYI. I think McPhee will see Pou’s season as an aberration, rather than a player in decline. Plus the salary helps to ensure they reach the cap floor.

35. JDI Хоккей says:

Duck the 41ames.

36. leadfarmer says:

He he. Elliott getting pulled after 1 goal.

37. leadfarmer says:

Well they’re playing like they have their tee times booked

38. Centre of attention says:

Elliott pulled after 5 minutes of play and 1 goal against on 3 shots.

Johnson gives up a goal literally 3 shifts later.

39. JDI Хоккей says:

Gulutzan will be drinking out of a bag, before this one is over.

40. Professor Q says:

JDI Хоккей:
    Gulutzan will be drinking out of a bag, before this one is over.

IV or wine?

41. Bruce McCurdy says:

Todd Macallan:

Edit: JDI beat me to it.

On your “recommendation” I went back to the intro music, & you are correct, it is atrocious in the deeper sense of being an actual atrocity. This series needs to end tonight just for that reason alone. #MakeItStop

42. Bruce McCurdy says:

A more relevant atrocity is the state of Calgary’s goalering. 2 horrid goals, 1 on each “stopper”.

43. smellyglove says:

Quick all, I need help:

Do I hope for the CGY sweep, or do we want the series to go to 7 to wear down the winner?

44. Todd Macallan says:

Calgary’s goalies, widely praised as being “on the ice in their equipment”

45. JDI Хоккей says:

smellyglove: do we want the series to go to 7

Bad bounce could let the fLames through to the 2nd round though.

46. dustrock says:

I think Khaira is alright, and has probably outperformed his draft selection, but is he really someone you’d want to protect in the expansion draft? I don’t see enough speed or skill for him to have a significant career.

47. Pescador says:

Flames are going to have to give up a great asset or overpay a ton in free agency to fix this mess.
    Burke is probably choking the goalie coach with his tie as we speak.

48. Georges says:

Whatever about the Flames. The Ducks are the most loathsome team in hockey. Greasy, goonish henchmen. May they never win anything of significance.

EDIT: As for the Sharks, yeah, OK. Someone’s knocking those veteran non-winners out of the playoffs. I nominate Edmonton.

49. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

stephen sheps,

– If they took Poo,and his $4MM that would be great: agree!

– From our vantage, there is no one we have that hurts to lose (except the sunk cost of Griff, who “might be our 7th D)

– IF LV can be convinced to take a salary like Fayne or Poo: bonus: else, who cares. IMO

50. who says:

This is a response to the trade proposal that Jethro Tull has mentioned in the last two threads. I believe his proposal was Nuge, Nurse, JP and 2017 1st for Duschene and Barrie.
    I think we can say that both Avalanche players have hit their ceilings. Duschene is a very good 1st line forward but I don’t think you can call him a franchise player. He is fast, elusive and good on face offs. Barrie is a second pairing Dman who can run a powerplay. He is a very good offensive player but has struggled to defend the last couple of years and is a little undersized.
    I would be happy to acquire Duschene, depending on cost, but I don’t really see the need for Barrie anymore. I like Klefbom on the powerplay and would prefer a better, more physical, defender to pair with Sekera.
    There is a good chance that Nuge has hit his ceiling as well and, if so, does not score as well as Duschene, and is not as good on face offs. I think he did outscore him this year and is signed for 4 more years compared to Duchene s 2. He is also a couple of years younger.
    My big concern with your proposal is that the Oilers don’t really know what they have yet in Nurse or JP. Even if Nurse tops out as a second pairing Dman and JP as a second line winger that is a lot of quality depth to give up for Duschene and a mediocre defender. Add in a first rounder and factor in what Duschene may cost in two years and this deal just smells bad
    It will look positively hideous if Nurse turns into a first pairing guy and JP becomes a first line winger.
    On a side note, Eichel has a lot more value when you factor in years of team control and the fact that he probably is a franchise type player. Doubt very much that Buffalo is looking to trade him.

51. Lloyd B. says:

LT says. I still think he can help, but there’s no sense in bringing him back for another year of AHL play. A buyout seems reasonable.

My thoughts on Fayne are opposite of yours regards playing him in the AHL. I reckon there is sense in bringing him back for another season for a couple of reasons.

First. The Oilers have signed a whack of brand new defencemen for the Condors through college and graduating juniors.

They are going to need a veteran guy to show them how to be a pro and to provide a roadblock to playing higher in the lineup than they have earned.

Better than keeping Fraser for that role.

Second. I don’t think a buyout is reasonable. The Oilers are going to need a heap of cap space next summer. ( I’m assuming we are going to have a summer this year)

Playing Fayne in the AHL next year clears all of his cap hit for McDavids new contract. Else they are carrying the buyout penalty when they are going to need the cap space. Big time.

Every million available is going to help keep one of the Austins. Maybe both, but I doubt it.

Next year, the only bonus issues will be with Pullijarvii because we can go ahead and pencil McDavid in for max contract.

Given the new management team doesn’t see Fayne as NHL worthy, a deal with VGK may work out.

But that will cost another asset of some kind. 2nd round pick in 2018 for $4 million of cap space sound reasonable? A very late round 2nd pick at that.

52. Clay says:

Georges:

It seems there’s a generational divide when it comes to the fLames *spits*. The BOA has been so lukewarm for so long, that anyone that came to the Oilers from the Weight era-on probably don’t hate them as much as they should.

Those of us who were around for the 80’s though – there is no depth to which the fLames *spits* could sink as far as losing that I wouldn’t be happy to see. May the fleas from a thousand camels infest their jockstraps, and may they always finish one game out of the playoffs so they get a shitty draft position too.

I’d rather Anaheim win a cup before that sack-o-douche organization wins a single playoff game.

53. JDI Хоккей says:

Off topic, but I just found a plugin called Dark Background and Light Text for Firefox. You can customize the global color scheme, and disable it entirely for well designed sites like this one.

Ahhh….

54. slopitch says:

I’ll bet a beer that Drai goes back in on the top line tomorrow. 97 had his worst game of the series, looked frustrated even in the first and the wingers didn’t do much. That and McLellan gets last chance. And that’s the line that got us here this year. I could go on and I could be wrong but it’s just a beer 🙂

The solution? Shleppy out. Lander in.

19-97-29
    27-93-14
    36-51-44
    67-13-55

55. Georges says:

Clay: It seems there’s a generational divide when it comes to the fLames *spits*.The BOA has been so lukewarm for so long, that anyone that came to the Oilers from the Weight era-on probably don’t hate them as much as they should.

Those of us who were around for the 80’s though – there is no depth to which the fLames *spits* could sink as far as losing that I wouldn’t be happy to see.May the fleas from a thousand camels infest their jockstraps, and may they always finish one game out of the playoffs so they get a shitty draft position too.

That’s like hating Darth Maul over Darth Sidious. Look at the Ducks. They ARE Neil Sheehy. Let the hate flow through you!

56. Clay says:

Georges: That’s like hating Darth Maul over Darth Sidious. Look at the Ducks. They are Neil Sheehy. Let the hate flow through you!

I chortled.

57. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– I’ve always figured that was because I didn’t live in Edmonton, so didn’t have the inferiority complex that many have in Edmonton relative to Calgary and it’s “upstart” wealth and growth that came from oil. Calgary is larger in population,wealthier, and usurped Edmonton in terms of importance despite Edmonton being the capital

-I’ve long held the thesis that Edmonton hates Calgary because of it’s relative prosperity. This is fine reason for a “hate”, don’t get me wrong

-But the Oil have won so many more Cups, their franchise so much better and storied. Calgary is a geographic rival. They built awesome teams and got their Cup the one year the Oil didn’t.

– So I guess by typing this I got it: Edmonton has a better hockey team, but the balance of power shifted in Alberta to Calgary: that’s a reason for hate: even though the Oil>>>Flames

– For instance a Toronto fan doesn’t “hate” Ottawa, they just look down at them. Same for the Tiger Cats vs. Argos. Argos are just bigger and better.

– Edmonton is just the underdog that had great teams: is that it from a local perspective?

– For me it’s just the Oilers were great in my golden years as a kid, but no goegraphic identity for me

– Sorry if this was a ramble: I find it an interesting examination: I’d love to hear from the locals?

– Sure it was great beating up on the Flames: but they basically were just no good vs us

58. Stelio Kontos says:

I hate calgary cuz if you’ve ever watched sports, especially sports movies, the red team is full of assholes.

59. Georges says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – You bring up an interesting point: I was an Oil fan from the cup years, but I don’t have the hate for the Flames that many Oilers fans do

– I’ve always figured that was because I didn’t live in Edmonton, so didn’t have the inferiority complex that many have in Edmonton relative to Calgary and it’s “upstart” wealth and growth that came from oil.Calgary is larger in population,wealthier, and usurped Edmonton in terms of importance despite Edmonton being the capital

-I’ve long held the thesis that Edmonton hates Calgary because of it’s relative prosperity.This isfine reason for a “hate”, don’t get me wrong

-But the Oil have won so many more Cups, their franchise so much better and storied.Calgary is a geographic rival.They built awesome teams and got their Cup the one year the Oil didn’t.

– For instance a Toronto fan doesn’t “hate” Ottawa, they just look down at them.Same for the Tiger Cats vs. Argos. Argos are just bigger and better.

1986

60. JDI Хоккей says:

Excerpt of a leaked transcript from Leon’s conference call with DoPS:

LD: I accept your ruling on this Mr Pronger, and I understand why you had to take action on this. I’m truly sorry for this transgression.

CP: Thank you Leon. Now that our meeting is over with, I have to tell you that you were way too close to the play to get away with that.

LD: Um, what?

CP: There has to be at least three seconds after the puck leaves, before you go for the cup. And you need to turn away just before giving him the nard shot. That makes it look much more innocent.

LD: Ahhhh, okay, thank you Mr Pronger.

CP: Is there anything else Leon?

LD: Did they really burn your kid’s crib?

click

61. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Georges,

-Yeah I totally get that: that was a heart breaker. But the Flames didn’t even win that year!

– They won only when Gretz wasn’t with the Oil.

– Fun fact: the widow of owner of the Flames : Sonia Scurfield (Ralph: deceased), is as far as I know the only women whose name is on the Cup!

-Anyway, as a non-Edmontonian: Calgary was merely a “firm test” along the way to winning lots of Cups. Not a rival, just a team we beat,almost always. I was not attuned to the geographic rivalry

62. Georges says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    Georges,

-Yeah I totally get that: that was a heart breaker.But the Flames didn’t even win that year!

– They won only when Gretz wasn’t with the Oil.

-Anyway, as a non-Edmontonian: Calgary was merely a “firm test” along the way to winning lots of Cups.Not a rival, just a team we beat,almost always.I was not attuned to the geographic rivalry

It has nothing to do with Calgary winning or not winning the Cup.

In 1986, they had no business, no business at all.

After 1986, the Cup wins were satisfying. But the most satisfying was Gretzky OT and Tik from centre ice.

63. Diablo says:

No matter what happen from here on out, the Oilers still had a better season than the Flames

64. Lloyd B. says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    Georges,

– They won only when Gretz wasn’t with the Oil.

You’re going to need to explain your 2nd sentence to me.

The Flames beat the Oilers with Gretzky in the line up.

The Oilers won two cups with Gretzky after Calgary won the Stanley.

I’m confused.

65. striatic says:

Flames swept. Probably would be better to see a long series for the opponent the Oilers would meet in the next round, but having Calgary’s season end before Edmonton’s isn’t the worst thing.

66. Bulging Twine says:

Shattenkirk with 12:54 ice time tonight. They figured it out. Defensive liability.

67. RicaGreaser says:

Lloyd B.,

Lloyd B.: You’re going to need to explain your 2nd sentence to me.

The Flames beat the Oilers with Gretzky in the line up.

The Oilers won two cups with Gretzky after Calgary won the Stanley.

I’m confused.

Indeed you are. Flames won in 1989. The Molson House tears were already dry by then.

68. Lloyd B. says:

Oh Oh. Oldtimers setting in. I stand corrected.

69. Chachi says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:

Local here. The “reasons” for the rivalry you’ve listed here are the types of things that ignorant people repeat because they are told this by Calgarians. Alberta is a Province with two mid-sized cities with roughly similar sized populations 300 km away from each other that have been competing against each other in sports, business and anything else you can compete in pretty much since they were founded. That is and always will be the main reason for the rivalry.

Honestly Calgary is a fine place especially for those who love to embrace the faux cowboy culture and it is a nice short drive away from the mountains, but their sports teams can fuck off and die repeatedly as far as I am concerned and it sure as hell isn’t because they have more places where you can buy a $1000 martini.

70. JDI Хоккей says:

Wendy Mesley is 60?

71. Centre of attention says:

JDI Хоккей:
    Excerpt of a leaked transcript from Leon’s conference call with DoPS:

LD: Um, what?

LD: Ahhhh, okay, thank you Mr Pronger.

CP: Is there anything else Leon?

LD: Did they really burn your kid’s crib?

click

This is gold.

well done.

lol.

72. RicaGreaser says:

Lloyd B.:
    Oh Oh.Oldtimers setting in.I stand corrected.

No man…fuck Calgary. It was their fault for deceiving you!

73. Lloyd B. says:

RicaGreaser: No man…fuck Calgary. It was their fault for deceiving you!

I was in a fog after they lost in 86. Obviously it lasted til 89 because I recall the Flames winning in 86.

Woodguy blames his phone but I’m going to blame O’Leary. And depression.

74. Primetime says:

“The solution? Shleppy out. Lander in.

19-97-29
    27-93-14
    36-51-44
    67-13-55”

While this surely is all fantasy (there is no way TMac plays Lander now unless several injuries), I’ll play along.

At one point this year, 67-55-44 made an excellent line, and think they would be good again.
    Lander and Slepy had insane chemistry in Bakersfield so why not:
    19-97-29
    27-93-14
    67-55-44
    36-51-42

With Kassian rolling, there is a chance at offence with all 4 lines. In case we forget, we may have won 2 games but have scored a grand total of 5 goals in 4 games! We need offense!!
    Anyways, enough daydreaming…I will wake up before I start my recurring nightmare of Hendrick’s playoff debut tomorrow….

75. oilersfan says:

Chachi,

Spoken for truth

I was okay with the Flames winning in 1989 to be honest. The only way I have those memories in my brain is if Edmonton had a mortal enemy, so winning in 1989 was reward for being a valiant and worthy adversary. Plus, my father-in-law was a Flames fan (mostly because Lanny McDonald was a Medicine Hat Tigers F once upon a time) and I was happy for him.

77. oilersfan says:

After the flames blew the 4-1 lead I made some negative comments about Calgary and their fans. The next day the oilers lost 7-0. I will now say nothing negative about Calgary.

It is unfortunate that they lost. Their power play was very good. For all the narrative about how they were the better team though they were out scored 10-2 5×5 during the series so that isn’t so positive

78. Chachi says:

My dad is an Oilers fan, but he was happy for Lanny because he remembered him battling valiantly against the Oil Kings as a junior player. Also they were playing the Habs and screw those guys too.

79. Chachi says:

oilersfan:

I do wish they had stretched that series longer. The Ducks are going to be rested and healed before they play their next opponent. The Flames did hang in there pretty well, but that job was made a little easier I imagine with Fowler out and with Lindholm and Vatanen ailing for most of the series.

80. spoiler says:

Chachi,

You also had to feel bad for the ride Lanny got in TO. I had a lot of respect for those Leafs that had to endure Ballard and then Imlach. Salming wouldn’t even have been on the team if Ballard hadn’t been in jail when they signed the Swede. But the dismantling of that franchise, the treatment that Lanny got, culminating in the trade to the Rockies, was horrendous. Can you imagine a captain ripping the C off his sweater in disgust? Sittler did.

We can Laff at the Leafs now because of the ridiculous media treatment they get, but you could only pity them and their fans in the 70s.

81. Chachi says:

spoiler:
    Chachi,

You also had to feel bad for the ride Lanny got in TO.I had a lot of respect for those Leafs that had to endure Ballard and then Imlach.Salming wouldn’t even have been on the team if Ballard hadn’t been in jail when they signed the Swede.But the dismantling of that franchise, the treatment that Lanny got, culminating in the trade to the Rockies, was horrendous.Can you imagine a captain ripping the C off his sweater in disgust?Sittler did.

This is 100% true.

82. JustWatt says:

JDI Хоккей,

That was nearly my morning beverage all over my laptop!

83. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Lloyd B.: You’re going to need to explain your 2nd sentence to me.

The Flames beat the Oilers with Gretzky in the line up.

The Oilers won two cups with Gretzky after Calgary won the Stanley.

I’m confused.

– I meant the Flames never won the Cup when Gretz was with the Oil. Yes 1986 they beat us.

– That team that won the Cup for the Flames though: what a roster. The Oilers forced them to become such a good team in order to win only one.

– Also, I loved that for something like 10 years, no team came to Alberta and won both games on their road trip

– Anyway, I never had hate for Flames: the Oil are clearly a more successful organization

84. frjohnk says:

Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie

BUF fires Tim Murray and Dan Bylsma.

I guess Eichel is staying in Buffalo

85. notarealdoctor says:

In 2004 when the Flames went on their underdog Cup run, there were Flames flags on cars all over Edmonton, and the bars were rocking. If we couldn’t do it. we were getting behind our neighbours.

In 2006, I was in Calgary for the final and there were no Oiler flags anywhere, and the bars were dead. Never forget, never forgive.