2017 PLAYOFFS GAME 5: SHARKS AT OILERS

Canadian hockey fans get a lesson in ‘framing the issue’ every time any network plays a 1991 playoff game between the Calgary Flames. Why? They run the damned Theo Fleury overtime goal from game 6 (Sunday April 14) instead of the Esa Tikkanen overtime goal from Game 7 (Tuesday, April 16). It’s completely ridiculous, but I see the Fleury goal 50 times a year, and have to play my CD to see the Tikkanen goal (and I do, while laughing like an idiot). This kind of unfair play is duly noted in my home and I hope it is in your home, too. Fair is fair, jackasses!

The Oilers beat the Los Angeles Kings (and Gretzky’s Oilers Pacific) in the second round, the sixth and deciding game put to bed by Craig MacTavish in overtime (another obscure piece of video). The Minnesota North Stars, in those wonderful uniforms, ended the run in five games during the Campbell Conference Finals. Mark Messier scored the final goal of his Oilers career in the final period he would play for Edmonton, assists to Glenn Anderson (fittingly) and Craig Simpson. The Messier Oilers were powerful, vicious, talented and determined. The man was a rock on skates and I miss this team because of him most of all. Box scores are here.

(SHOTS) LINES AND PAIRINGS (PLAYOFFS)

• Patrick Maroon (10); Connor McDavid (8); Leon Draisaitl (1)

The line has just one goal (McDavid SH) and one assist (McDavid PP) through four games. Corsica.hockey tells us this trio is over 50 percent Corsi for 5×5 (97 is 52%) but in the 40s on the Fenwick scale. Far too soon to have any real value, but I pass it along because it’s there. Maroon’s 10 shots in four games is a solid number, Leon needs to shoot more. If this line can’t get it going, it behooves Todd McLellan to change up the lines pdq.

• Milan Lucic (3); Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (13); Jordan Eberle (6)

This line has one goal (Lucic PP) and two assists (Lucic, Eberle, both at evens) through four games. Not good enough, but this trio should remain together. A total of 22 shots in four games is a solid number for a 2line. All three men are over 50 percent Corsi for 5×5 through these playoffs so far and would be (imo) a fairly easy choice for top performing line.

• Drake Caggiula (3); Mark Letestu (12); Zack Kassian (9)

This line has two goals (Kassian SH and Kassian EV) two assists (Letestu PP and SH) the next mayor of our town (Kassian). The shot total over four games is strong, but Letestu gets PP time and that skews things a little. Still, the 3line has 24 shots and that leads all lines. Impressive.

• Benoit Pouliot (4); David Desharnais (1); Anton Slepyshev (3)

This line has no points and are hovering in the mid-40’s in possession. I like both wingers, and Desharnais clearly has enough skill to get some good opportunities in the offensive end. The other options available to Todd McLellan (Iiro Pakarinen, Matt Hendricks, Jujhar Khaira, Joey Laleggia, Anton Lander) may see playing time in the coming games.

October 5, 2013: The Oklahoma City Barons play the Charlotte Checkers in an American Hockey League game at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City. Photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved.

PAIRINGS (SA per 60)

• Oscar Klefbom (22.21); Adam Larsson (26.17)

This tandem is performing better at shots against per 60 5×5 compared to the regular season. Oscar Klefbom (29.30) and Adam Larsson (29.77) are both more efficient so far against the Sharks compared to all year against all 29 teams. Oscar Klefbom has an even strength goal (the first of the series) which represents the only offense from this pairing so far in the postseason.

• Andrej Sekera (34.16); Kris Russell (35.00)

Sekera (27.93) and Russell (28.00) were far more effective during the regular season than they are currently.

• Darnell Nurse (27.36); Matt Benning (20.63); Eric Gryba (21.71)

Nurse is tracking better than his regular season (32.89), Benning (27.81) is also miles ahead compared to his (impressive) regular season numbers. Gryba (31.52) has been more effective using this method of measurement compared to the regular season. As above, sample size is not close to good enough, but we are discussing early trends.

There’s a lot of story to cover in this series, and tonight is a pivotal game. The San Jose Sharks delivered a massive body blow in Game 4 and we don’t know if the Edmonton Oilers can answer back. The club seems completely undisciplined and are not responding well to the Sharks disdain (San Jose veterans don’t respect the Oilers, likely due to years of hammering them into little pieces). Respect must be earned, and a win tonight would go a long way toward earning that respect.

OILERS TONIGHT

For me, the key tonight will be discipline. Edmonton has shown very little ability to learn from their own penalties during this series and that may be the most alarming part of the enterprise. I understand the concern over 5×5 scoring, but history tells us that will begin to flow at some point in time (although in a short series, “some point in time” could be October).

I predict a loss tonight if the Oilers can’t stay out of the penalty box. Edmonton could win this evening without 5×5 goals, but the club can make life easier for itself if two goals cash in the discipline. There is genuine concern (for me) about the health of 97’s linemates, and Todd McLellan should not hesitate to shuffle the winger deck in order to get things done. If San Jose gets a lead, flushing the fourth line should also be an option (depending on how they are playing).

If McLellan draws on some smoking aces, one hopes we see Lander but one suspects it will be Matt Hendricks.

Whatever you’ve done on game winning nights, you have to do it this evening. If it’s cooking a turkey, haul ass to the turkey store. If it’s drinking Freshie, giddyup. I’ll be cleaning the gutters again after 5pm tonight because that’s the job, man!

MCDAVID

Tonight is a lot about McDavid, of course every Edmonton game is a lot about 97. The Sharks have wiggled their way inside the Oilers collective, with predictable results. Young teams take time to adjust to shifting sands, an example being the way officials are calling these games.

If you check the comments section of this blog over the last few games, there are countless examples of frustration over the uneven refereeing. “There’s no way this is even” or “the Oilers are being judged on a different scale” can be heard over and over again.

You’re right. Them’s the facts. Veteran teams get the calls, upstarts get the shaft. It was like that when I started watching NHL hockey in the 1960s and it’s been that way since. The young Oilers are on the verge of losing a series learning that lesson. It’s happened before.

My money’s on McDavid finding a way. You?

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A fun, developing show today! TSN1260, starting a 10, here we go:

• Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey. Oilers with the biggest game in franchise history since Tuesday.
  • Frank Seravalli, TSN. Sabres blow out their management team.

10-1260 text @Lowetide on twitter. Hell’s a popping!

954 Responses to "2017 PLAYOFFS GAME 5: SHARKS AT OILERS"

Newer Comments »
  1. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Totally non-Oiler related but I basically called this yesterday!

Now Jack will be happy hahahaha

2. Woogie63 says:

Every successful play-off team has a kid line …. we have the tools to build a kid line. I suggest a line of-

Caggulia-Kahaira-Slepyshev

Would pretty much guarantee a win.

3. Offside says:

I don’t know. The Oilers cannot be expected to beat both the Sharks and the referee bias for veteran teams. If the Oilers need to figure out the line between what constitutes a penalty and what does not then analysts should also be expected to figure out the difference between undisciplined play and biased officiating.
    That being said, the Oilers need to play the hand they have been dealt. This means they cannot afford any stick infractions or overly aggressive retaliation penalties. The Sharks have been anticipating our plays resulting in numerous turnovers. I’d argue that we either need to quit being so predictable or ramp up our level of execution. Those are things the players can control. Bogus calls for delay of game are not.

4. Nuclear leak says:

Mcdavid went from drawing the most calls, to zip

Those veteran maple leafs are sure teaching those upstart Caps

if Mcdavid gets one more partial break and gets chopped in the hand region with no call, may the beer cups rain upon the refs, don’t stop til the refs have left the ice and had to momentarily stop the game.

League wants to be bush league, let the little town in the north show them the bushes

5. Frank the dog says:

I should have known when Coutour gave the interview about how banged up they were, how much pain Thornton was playing through etc, that they were hoping the Oilers would take the line. I sure forgot how scripted the interviewed players usually are for interviews.
    I would think that the players would be isolated from the propaganda but it sure seems they swallowed that story hook, line and sinker from the way they fell over and never got up.
    I read the Sharks took the nets out of their practice rink? Is that true? I wonder what else they did?
    Anyway I may go to tonights game, you’ll see me for sure, I’ll be wearing a bright orange jersey 🙂
    Obviously the refereeing fix is in. I’m expecting a wild crowd tonight, and strong pushback by the Oil in what might be the last home game of the season. My wish? “We want 10” by the Oil but I’ll take a win in the 4th OT.

6. Ducey says:

Canucks lose Tryamkin to the KHL.

I think he was in their top 4.

Sure not going to help things in VAN 🙂

7. Jethro Tull says:

“The club seems completely undisciplined…..”

“Young teams take time to adjust to shifting sands, an example being the way officials are calling these games.”

I’m really not sure how the Oilers overcome this, and are we really a young team? With Sekera, Lucic, Russell, Pouliot, Letestu, Talbot, these guys earned their stripes. Maybe the playoff experience isn’t there, but they’ve worshiped at the alter of getting the shit kicked out of them.

What I find hard to comprehend is the mindset of “vet teams get the calls, and that’s how it’s gonna be. And I’m OK with this.” And apparently the league is too. They seem to be fine with old players who’s last act in the NHL may very well be to injure one of it’s brightest stars. And when he pushes back? Undisciplined. When he doesn’t? Soft. If he says anything? Whiner. If he toughs it out? Good Canadian boy, why I tells ya when I was with my Bruins……

I think we bear it out with stoicism and Uncle Bob writes a letter to Gary about how he thinks the league looks after it’s stars, especially with the class action concussion suit coming and especially especially after the game’s current biggest star will be part of that (Crosby).

Anyways, Go Oilers!

Lots of brooms being handed to the Flames fans in the workshop today. Floor’s gonna be swept clean…

Jethro Tull:

What I find hard to comprehend is the mindset of “vet teams get the calls, and that’s how it’s gonna be.And I’m OK with this.”

9. Scungilli Slushy says:

I think Mr Talbot will have the biggest say in tonight’s tilt. If Draisaitl can cover his assignments I’d like to see him in the middle again and have Nuge cover the third pair with defensive help. They seem to get trapped often, but can move the puck. Maybe that shores things up and the puck movement creates some offensive opportunities for the forwards.

To me having weak 5v5 centres like DD and Letestu affects the rhythm of the game for the Oilers. I’d also like to see Pouliot’s speed with McDavid. Maroon doesn’t have enough jump right now and it slows McDavid down. Pouliot can also forecheck better than Maroon and gets to way more pucks.

10. Jethro Tull says:

Nuclear leak: San Jose runs interference every single shift, not counting all their stick infractions that are being brushed aside. 2:1 penalty ratio through 4 games is raising several red flags something is amiss.

As I said yesterday, we either believe the current Oilers are the new Broad Street Bullies, or SJ are naive darling angels that can’t believe those rough, tough men are trying to hurt them and wouldn’t dream of doing anything like that. Or that the refs have a bigger impact than they should and are actually steering the game of hockey to how they want to see it played rather than making sure the games are played fairly and the safety of the players is upheld.

11. Jethro Tull says:

Lowetide: Yes galling for sure. The problem is, imo, that if those impacted bitch (like McDavid) those players are instantly and forever branded as being whiners. Sticky wicket.

Sorry, I know I’ve been flogging this for a few days. A win will cure me!

12. Woogie63 says:

Offside:
    I don’t know. The Oilers cannot be expected to beat both the Sharks and the referee bias for veteran teams. If the Oilers need to figure out the line between what constitutes a penalty and what does not then analysts should alsobe expected to figure out the difference between undisciplined play and biased officiating.

I don’t agree we have had 7 different refs (Kelly Sutherland reffed two games). Theses men are the best in the business. The Oilers are in control of how many penalties they take in a game.

I suggest the young team has a lot of emotions around the play-off excitement, SJS are a frustrating team to play against. The “Ref you suck” imo is supporting the wrong energy.

13. frjohnk says:

Ducey: Canucks lose Tryamkin to the KHL.

I think he was in their top 4.

He was more a project than he was a top 4 D man. He was still young enough and had some decent tools ( big and could skate) that he could have been a good Dman for them.

I dont see much hope for the Canucks in the next few years.

14. Jethro Tull says:

Colieo87:

Buffalo is cleaning house

My god, the optics of that are terrible. We know bad goalies can ruin a guy’s day. But this hot on the heels of the rumours this week? The owner is basically saying that whoever takes over will always be secondary to Jack, no matter what words come out of his mouth. Has the owner asked themselves if he truly believes Jack is the hill to die on?

At least wait a couple of weeks, sheesh. Fire the PR staff.

15. hunter1909 says:

Bravely turned on the ESPN scoreboard and saw it was 2-0 Sharks…then 3-0 etc in a hurry.

When’s the draft?

16. texmex says:

Out of curiosity, are we upset about the number of non calls against the Oilers or the number of calls against the Oilers? I’m a die hard Oilers fan, but from where I sat watching games 1 through 4, the penalties called against the Oilers were the correct calls save maybe the interference penalty on McDavid.

We have taken 5 high sticking penalties,1 spearing (5min), 2 cross checking (brutal one by Maroon), 1 too many men, 2 hooks (lazy penalties) and a few others. Discipline is a problem.

I agree that the refs are not giving us the calls (particularly against McD), but the Oilers need to keep their sticks on the ice. Plain and and simple.

17. hunter1909 says:

Jethro Tull: The owner is basically saying that whoever takes over will always be secondary to Jack, no matter what words come out of his mouth.

Change “Jack” for “Connor” and I’m free to argue between 10:00 and 10:15.

18. Nuclear leak says:

You can call 10 penalties a period to each team, easily, It’s the refs who are in control of those 20 calls.

They’ve seemed to apply the swarm tactic to the Oilers.

Well if Eakins isn’t here to leave a man open in the slot…

19. stephen sheps says:

Jethro Tull: My god, the optics of that are terrible.We know bad goalies can ruin a guy’s day.But this hot on the heels of the rumours this week?The owner is basically saying that whoever takes over will always be secondary to Jack, no matter what words come out of his mouth.Has the owner asked themselves if he truly believes Jack is the hill to die on?

At least wait a couple of weeks, sheesh.Fire the PR staff.

To be fair, a week before this Eichel mess was all over the hot-take hockey world, Murray publicly stated that both he and Bylsma were ‘under review’ and basically admitted that he hadn’t done enough to build a winner. I get where you’re coming from (and it doesn’t look great), but I don’t think this is as clear-cut a case of the inmates running the asylum as it looks to be.

Pegula’s known to have a quick trigger with coaches that don’t get the desired results (see Ryan, Rex for further details). He’s sure paying a whole lot of money to people to not coach his teams now, however.

20. hunter1909 says:

No idea what exactly happened last game, but if the Oilers can rebound they’re currently in great shape with home ice advantage.

They’ve got Connor McDavid.

McDavid comes from the “fool me once” school of sports. Whatever the Sharks managed against him Tuesday will probably be buried by a McDavid 1st period hat trick.

21. Offside says:

Woogie63,

That’s a fair comment. These refs are the best in the biz and the Oilers have let their emotions get the better of them on occasion. I think where we differ is in our evaluation of these refs and whether the penalty calls are being evenly distributed based on merit. If good players can make bad decisions then so can good refs. I guess I am from the school of thought that believes a 2:1 ratio in penalties is rarely a desirable outcome unless one team is considerably dirtier than the other; and I don’t think that passes the eye test for many observers

22. who says:

Ducey:
    Canucks lose Tryamkin to the KHL.

I think he was in their top 4.

Sure not going to help things in VAN

Ouch, that is a big blow to the rebuild . Looked like he was going to be a quality player. Was hoping Paigan would turn into something like him, except for the bolting to the KHL.

23. dustrock says:

LT is right. Just like NBA fans know the Lakers got so many ridiculous calls in the Forum. Every. Single.Time. Ask the Sacramento Kings about playing there in the playoffs. 😉

Don’t have to like it, but it’s not going to change.

But you know what? I know we disdain hitting because usually that means you don’t have the puck, but in Game 3, when we broke Oilers Nerd Alert’s chart, it was from hitting.

Not from junky stick infractions and elbows and punching after the whistle.

San Jose IS Older. San Jose IS banged up. So make them pay, but do it like you did it before, by hitting everything that moves in white and teal.

24. Pink Socks says:

Dammit LT, I just lost 30 minutes of my day reading the box scores from 1991. Tikkanen had a hell of a playoffs.

25. dustrock says:

Regarding Desharnais, I wouldn’t mind him as a 4th LW.

But just seems like there are better options to me.

This is where Chiarelli not getting the 3C is making life difficult for us.

26. Pink Socks says:

who: Ouch, that is a big blow to the rebuild . Looked like he was going to be a quality player. Was hoping Paiganwould turn into something like him, except for the bolting to the KHL.

Both huge guys, both have huge shots, Tryamkin is meaner and better defensively, but Paigin should have more offensive acumen. I’m looking forward to a full AHL season for Paigin, if he turns into a similar player as Tryamkin that is a major win for the Oil.

27. RedNed says:

At last, a cricket term on a hockey blog (community section)! Might 97 be our Bradman? As to the present, any lingering whining imagery (I can imagine it after Game 4) will be best neutralised tonight (tomorrow for me) from a future perspective. I reckon 97 knows this and thus expect we’ll see a much more focused captain’s game. Go Oilers!

28. 99266in87 says:

LT, you are the coolest guy on earth. Was thinking the same thing, turkey store, freshies, gutters. I’m digging out my oiler T shirt from the hamper and do a load of laundry during my lunch.

29. Scungilli Slushy says:

As LT said it has always been this way with reffing. Those with enough tooth can remember the same thing long ago. It changes, Messier would be in jail these days for assault after some of his shenanigans, and he didn’t get called on a lot of it once they were established.

Maturity means no pity party, there isn’t time for it. Use the energy to play harder, try harder, and the results will come. Whining in any endeavor reduces focus. Suck it up and make them pay on the score board where it truly hurts.

30. Oilin4 says:

If Connor be Connor and Cam be Cam, Edmonton wins every time. We need one of them to have a chance to win. But if they both show up for two – and we keep it to one penalty per period – it’s over.

31. Hockey Project says:

I still refer to any kind of powdered drink as “freshie”, and my kids still think that makes me ancient. My parents never bought Kool-Aid. But freshie? Ohhhh, they’d buy that.

32. linkfromhyrule says:

I don’t believe it is mutually exclusive to hold that:

1) The Oilers have been far too undisciplined with their sticks. There were several more egregious cross checks that could have been called, Benning and Mcdavid come to mind.

2) The Sharks have deserved a few more penalties than they have been called for. The Sharks are masterful at both obstruction and embellishment, but don’t the refs review the games at all afterwards? Might be hard to see in the moment, but on video it’s clear as day

It’s frustrating as hell, but the Oilers simply haven’t been good enough 5×5 to either draw penalties or score.

McLellan NEEDS to move Maroon off that top line too, his effectiveness is near zero right now. I wish Pouliot would shave those sideburns,,,

33. Thorin says:

If’ we’re doing cricket analogies and also complaining about the reffing, then that Delay Of Game penalty to Kassian made about as much sense as a typical Leg Before Wicket call.

34. Georges says:

Reffing schmeffing.

Don’t poke your stick in other people’s teeth or privates. It’s dirty.

As for hooking and holding and interference, hahahaha…

The Sharks are a veteran club. Veterans at coming up small. I’d like the Oilers to remind them of that because some team is going to at some point in these here playoffs.

And, oh yeah, Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau are turning 38 this year. They need to get this hockey thing over with so they can move on to more appropriate activities for older adults like Freecell, Mahjong, or Bocce. If they need something to do, they can open a haberdashery together, call it Thornton and Marleau’s. Very distinguished. And we can all chip in and buy them matching Acorn Stairlifts for their stupid sky palaces.

Dumb Sharks. Booooo…

35. Truth says:

Looks like you get your wish. According to Twitter its Caggiula – McDavid – Drai on the top line. Maroon swapped with Caggiula

36. Truth says:

I’d like to see Desharnais out and Lander or Khaira in. I’d really like to see Pitlick in, the Oilers could have used his speed and tendency to shoot first.

37. Woogie63 says:

PPs by series:
    PIT-CBJ 11-9. experienced/young
    MTL-NYR 13-12 experienced/experienced
    WSH-TOR 11-9 experienced / young
    BOS-OTT 10-10 experienced / experienced
    CHI-NSH 7-5 experienced/ experienced
    MIN-STL 10-9 experienced/ experienced
    CGY-ANA 13-11 young / experienced
    SJ-EDM 22-12 experienced / young
    #NHLPlayoffs

Jason Gregor tweet from the other day.

I see the penalty problem completely within the Oiler’s ability to correct.

38. LMHF#1 says:

Still waiting for this squad to march out and play their game. Closest was game 2, but they still haven’t done it.

Hopefully we’ll see it twice, consecutively and finish this thing in 6. They’re already guaranteed to go one game deeper than it needed to be, but here we are.

39. dustrock says:

LMHF#1:

I agree. They beat the Sharks in the regular season without being the Grant MacEwan Goon Squad.

40. JDI Хоккей says:

Edmonton Oilers‏Verified account @EdmontonOilers 4m4 minutes ago

Zamboni makeover! 💥 #OrangeCrush

Sure hope that fixes their awful 5v5 scoring rate.

41. Woodguy v2.0 says:

texmex:

I agree with this and Woogie’s post and said as much on LT’s show yesterday.

EDM looked more concerned with exacting revenge with their stick than playing the game.

The ref’s have been calling the stick infractions and egregious roughing calls since game 1 and EDM has deserved every call against them.

It’s on them to stop doing it.

I agree that the ref’s aren’t calling enough interference, but that’s SOP and didn’t stop them from winning two games already.

Get over it and play through it.

Also agree with Dustrock that the Oilers need to get back to playing physical.

SJS didn’t react well to it and it disrupted them in their break outs, NZ and OZ entries.

Hitting with a purpose has worked and they need to get back to it.

The refs haven’t called any thin penalties via the hitting either, in fact they let some thin ones go like Kassian’s big hits.

Just stop with the stick, elbows and worrying about getting revenge.

If they play good hard hockey, and they can, they’ll win this in 6 games.

GOILERS!!

*clap,clap*

42. Ice Sage says:

Talbot’s won the Oilers 2 games.
    Beyond that, they’re overmatched for playoff hockey.
    A few breaks tonight (maybe Jones can channel Toskala for a few periods?) could push this series to 7 which, after the dust settles, will be a successful season.

43. DBO says:

OK, hoping for this lineup tonight

Caggs-McDavid-Draisatl
    Lucic-Nuge-Eberle
    Maroon-Letestu-Kassian
    Pouliot-Lander-Slepeshev

Although I would consider swapping Lander and Letestu. If only to rest Letestu at 5v5 andt o add the crap disturber Lander to Maroon and Kassian (which would instantly be my new favourite line as all 3 will mess up the Sharks and have the best chance of getting in their mind coach!)

44. Scungilli Slushy says:

Play to your strengths. The Oilers main advantage is legs. Even Pavelski is approaching 33 YO. They should be skating them into the ice, tiring them out. Hitting a ton usually means you don’t have the puck. Physical play is necessary, but that isn’t going to change anything for a vet team, other than banging them up for the next guys. It shouldn’t be a focus.

Good puck decisions, clear the zone, skate hard, be patient for chances. I doubt they get too adventurous with lines but trying to get more push out of all the lines would help.

45. Ducey says:

Ice Sage:
    Talbot’s won the Oilers 2 games.
    Beyond that, they’re overmatched for playoff hockey.

It has already been a successful season.

And game 2 was all Oilers. They were clearly the better team.

46. LMHF#1 says:

Ice Sage:

Beyond that, they’re overmatched for playoff hockey.

I’m just going to step out onto this limb – there’s no difference. They need to stop treating it differently. That’s why it’s 2-2 instead of talking about the Ducks or finishing things off tonight.

47. Pink Socks says:

Maroon – Letestu – Kassian had a few very successful games mid-season. If that chemistry comes back, that is a hell of a line to contain. Glad TMac made the necessary changes.

48. Younger Oil says:

Ryan Rishaug‏Verified account @TSNRyanRishaug 20m20 minutes ago

Draisaitl coughed his way through the entire interview, claiming he was perfectly fine. Playoffs.

49. JustWatt says:

Woodguy v2.0:

Just stop with the stick, elbows and worrying about getting revenge.

If they play good hard hockey, and they can, they’ll win this in 6 games.

GOILERS!!

*clap,clap*

This. All day and all night.

DBO:
    OK, hoping for this lineup tonight

Caggs-McDavid-Draisatl
    Lucic-Nuge-Eberle
    Maroon-Letestu-Kassian
    Pouliot-Lander-Slepeshev

This is the correct lineup. Except I might switch Pou and Caggs. 4th line kid line. And Pou gets to shave his sideburns.

50. TheGreatMutato says:

texmex:

Speaking only for myself, I’m annoyed at the non-calls. San Jose’s game-plan is basically obstruction, obstruction, obstruction, with the expectation that they won’t be called for it. Oilers players are routinely a step behind on gathering passes or collecting loose pucks because they were held up 10 feet prior.

It’s in the San Jose players’ reactions to that interference call that went against them on Tuesday (was it the Martin penalty?). They couldn’t believe that it was called. Just couldn’t believe it. It was the incredulous attitude of “but we have been getting away with this on literally every shift!”

I mean, I get it. I understand that this stuff is often let go in the playoffs and that veteran teams are unlikely to face any repercussion for playing this way – but that doesn’t mean I need to like it. It takes the flow out of the game and you can see the frustration in the players: The parade of their own team to the box while being hacked and prodded and interfered with as if it’s some kind of universal constant.

I like the Oilers and I like entertaining hockey. So I hate, for those reasons, that this kind of strategy can prove to be successful.

51. russ99 says:

Key to tonight is play like game three, but also sustain some offense,

The more we make Jones and the Sharks D work, the less we have to be defending and trying to get the puck back.

Don’t want to see us fall into our usual pattern of wilting under pressure and throwing it back to the point.

We can’t expect to win two more games playing lockdown and hoping for a garbage goal created by a tough play on the forecheck.

52. jake70 says:

LT, listening online. Just heard your exchange with Frank S. He was saying McDavid should be scoring no matter linemates, penalty calls etc etc. because he won scoring race by decent margin – do you agree with him? Was rolling my eyes listening to him. He’s 20, has only played 40some NHL games more than the the hockey Jesus in Toronto, has played only 4 NHL playoff games and does not play 60min a game. Better trade him I guess.

53. JustWatt says:

I’m going back to something LT talked about for two days before game 4: McD is due to break out.

He’s gone two games without a point and he’s never gone 3 in the NHL yet. He lost his cool and played his worst game in forever and he always bounces back after poor games.

Tonight we’ll see McDavid go nuclear. Angry McDavid throws this team on his back and everyone feeds off his intensity. 3 points and the W. Book it.

54. Professor Q says:

hunter1909: Change “Jack” for “Connor” and I’m free to argue between 10:00 and 10:15.

No you’re not.

55. Alpine says:

The Pens lost in 5 to the Sens in their first playoffs with Crosby/Malkin in 2007. WSH lost in 7 to Philly in their first playoff round with Ovi. LA lost to VAN in 6 in their first go around.

We’re pretty well right on track with those teams, and hey, it’s better than that first Pens year. Something to keep in mind if we lose the series I guess.

56. northof51 says:

So this means I need to be mildly intoxicated by 2:00 pm. I hope my employer understands…

57. jm363561 says:

======
    It is not often I burst out laughing when reading but that was really funny. Fantastic. Just like our PK will be tonight….I hope…. And pray.

58. Professor Q says:

JDI Хоккей:
    Edmonton Oilers‏Verified account @EdmontonOilers 4m4 minutes ago

Zamboni makeover! #OrangeCrush

Sure hope that fixes their awful 5v5 scoring rate.

I don’t think the Zamboni is what’s affecting the ice that much, but maybe?

59. Melvis says:

Seven refs, and one to rule them all.

Faint hope but here it is – after four games, the refs are done fucking with Oilers. Message sent and received.

Admittedly, I haven’t been able to wrap my head around the possibility our team is incurring approximately twice as many cheap trip stick infractions as every other team in the playoffs. And getting called on pretty much all of them. That’s a non starter for me.

I suspect something along the the following lines. “Yer mama something, something”, was one step over the line, sweet jesus…and has as much to do with a potential bias as anything else. Refs are pros, but they’re also human beings. The latter might, in fact, supercede the former here.

Empathy suggests as much. In some former professional capacity, I’ve been to react. Badly – in similar situations. And quite honestly…quite childishly. As in you’re fuckin fired. Today, I rue those episodes.

Let’s get back to game two boys. Hard hitting. No more bullshit. Plus a couple of even strength goals.

Goilers!!!

And while I’m at it. Fully looking forward to the JuDI and Chachi show.

60. jm363561 says:

DBO:
    OK, hoping for this lineup tonight

Caggs-McDavid-Draisatl
    Lucic-Nuge-Eberle
    Maroon-Letestu-Kassian
    Pouliot-Lander-Slepeshev
    ======

If it were not for the fact that Game 6 is not the optimum time to be introducing new lines I would agree.

Really, I am only posting because I posted three time ahead of game 2. (Fortunately I was not cooking turkey that night.)

61. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Frees up a bunch of cap space for their new 1LD, Kris Russell

62. JDI Хоккей says:

McLellan: “Some of our top offensive guys are tired, because they are killing penalties all night.”

And so he continues to dress Desharnais over Lander.

64. JDI Хоккей says:

northof51: I hope my employer understands…

They will only be your employer for a short time.

65. JDI Хоккей says:

San Jose Sharks at Edmonton Oilers – 10:30 EDT
    REFEREES
    Ian Walsh (#29) Dan O’Halloran (#13)

66. Melvis says:

Woodguy v2.0: Frees up a bunch of cap space for their new 1LD, Kris Russell

Yeah, me too…insert heart thingamaji here.

67. Woodguy v2.0 says:

My mom bought me a foam brick to throw at the TV during the playoffs because of all the non-calls and I would lose my shit at every one of them.

That was 1984.

The Flames under Badger Bob would line up 5 across the blue line and literally tackle every Oiler during an Ozone entry.

I shit you not.

That stuff isn’t new and teams have had to play through it forever.

Keep the goddam sticks and elbows down, skate hard, hit hard, hit clean, hit for a reason, and hit with malice in your heart.

GOILERS!!!

68. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Melvis: Yeah, me too…insert heart thingamajihere.

PHRASING!

69. ashley says:

Veteran teams get the calls, upstarts get the shaft.

This is true of not just NHL hockey, but life in general. Although shaft is a bit strong.

Veterans in any profession get the benefit of the doubt, and NHL penalties are occasionally black and white, but there wide swath of grey. Veterans are going to see the good side of the grey.

It is useful to realize that no referee steps out on the ice with the intention of targeting one team or the other. The very essence of their job is impartiality and fairness. This would be like one of us showing up to work with the intention of doing a really bad job of whatever we are working on. No one does that.

The subtle benefit of the doubt that veterans enjoy happens on a subconscious level. Interestingly, a home crowd also affects referees on a subconscious level as research has shown. This is thought to almost entirely explain home field advantage in many pro sports.

70. JDI Хоккей says:

ashley: Veteran teams get the calls, upstarts get the shaft.

The exception here being Canada’s Team, no?

71. slopitch says:

My orange crush teeshirt is 2-0 so its on tonight baby!

I work downtown right by the rink. Just ran into Fernando, Raffi and Gene Principe. Fun times downtown. Like how the Oilers are bringing Torres back to channel some energy to Kassian.

Go oilers!

72. Melvis says:

Pork loin stuffed rouladen sans pickle…avec prunes in the oven. Fresh sage and rosemary emphasis.

Garlic infused yukon rosti for the starch. Washed and ready to go. Bok Choy and dry cran stir fry. Simply steamed green beens – finished in clarified butter and dry fried crushed walnuts.

Down one Aussie sauvignon blanc. Another to go.

73. jzed says:

Apparently the ice was not up to snuff before the smelt’s pregame skate…well, at least they could see the ice.

74. Bag of Pucks says:

Just saw Lander walking into the Westin. Not sure if that means anything in terms of tonight’s lineup.

75. Side says:

Younger Oil:
    Ryan Rishaug‏Verified account @TSNRyanRishaug 20m20 minutes ago

Draisaitl coughed his way through the entire interview, claiming he was perfectly fine.Playoffs.

Draisaitl’s always coughing during his interviews though.

Even last year he coughed a lot during interviews I’m pretty sure.

76. Melvis says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Kindly stop yelling those in-house insults at the zebras. I think they can hear you;-)

77. Pretendergast says:

Ryan Rishaug‏Verified account
    @TSNRyanRishaug

Several Sharks just informed me that the ice was still wet at 1130 when their practice was supposed to start. Asked me to tweet it.. so..

12:37 PM – 20 Apr 2017

78. ashley says:

I don’t think Maroon is hurt. He’s getting good looks. His timing/positioning is a little off, likely nerves.

It’s really unfortunate that the Oilers were heralded as moderate favourites going into this series. They were pretty even I thought with the SJ injuries, and SJ was the better team for the entire season with their roster healthy.

This has put undo pressure on this young squad and the veteran SJ players and media are doing their best to add to it. Unfortunately, I sense a level of expectation has built up with the fans, and rather than a 2001 thunderous standing ovation from an appreciative fanbase for an entertaining season after losing the first round series to the heavyweight Stars, we have a lot of “the Oilers better win this series” going around which is going to leave a much bigger hole if they don’t.

79. stephen sheps says:

Woodguy v2.0: PHRASING!

seriously, I thought we weren’t doing that anymore

also, 3 episodes into season 8 and I’m convinced this re-reboot is perhaps the strongest reimagining Adam Reed and co. have made so far.

80. Melvis says:

Side,

It’s a factor, given Maslow’s hierarchical needs combined with some latent theory driven Edmonton inferiority complex. – with which I don’t agree. I wa always more comfortable in my skin along the north Sk river than the Bow (breaks).

In fact, I hated cowtown as little more than an ass boil on the prairie long before phlegms. Over loaded with cowboys, greasers, penny ante stock manipulators and that bad f word loosely associated with Brokeback Mountain…not that there’s anything wrong with that.

81. BONE207 says:

Offside:

And that’s the solution right there. We all know how the eye test passes on so much of the conversation here don’t we? All the Wood$$$ in the world won’t explain what the Stripes see in the game. Bias, emotion, errant f-bombs directed at you might all sway the human (use that term loosely) referee. If the refs got back to calling the games tighter like they did post lockout, then maybe they would just call infractions and not base as much on emotion.

GO OILERS!!!

82. ashley says:

Pretendergast:
    Ryan Rishaug‏Verified account
    @TSNRyanRishaug

12:37 PM – 20 Apr 2017

This is classic Joe Thornton. Mocking the Oilers for their complaints in SJ about the lights being off and the nets not out for their practice.

It takes all of 60 seconds for the water to become ice.

83. John Chambers says:

Pretendergast:
    Ryan Rishaug‏Verified account
    @TSNRyanRishaug

12:37 PM – 20 Apr 2017

If they wait it will soon be frozen.

84. ashley says:

Here is a clip of Jumbo Joe trolling Henrik Sedin:

85. Chachi says:

Pretendergast:
    Ryan Rishaug‏Verified account
    @TSNRyanRishaug

12:37 PM – 20 Apr 2017

LOL

86. ashley says:

Here is Thornton trolling “pass-first” Hemsky to give up a glorious opportunity from the slot:

87. Jethro Tull says:

Pretendergast:
    Ryan Rishaug‏Verified account
    @TSNRyanRishaug

12:37 PM – 20 Apr 2017

Because none of them know how to use twitter?

88. Richard S.S. says:

Lowetide, I have a 1.5 year old 25 lb cat that can outrun Connor on skates, and outdefend your Border Colley.

89. Chachi says:

ashley:

This is much funnier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP8ZG_ADIjY

90. admiralmark says:

Scungilli Slushy:

Agreed using game 2 as an example since it was their best game of the series. They came out hitting hard, hitting often and with intent. The key however was they were mostly all clean hits, elbows down, shoulder to shoulder. And once they established that physical play the hits diminished per period as the possession increased. I think when nearly all players start the game out physical it quickly gets them into the game frame of mind as well. They did a good job in game 2 of not hitting just for the sake of hitting and didn’t often take themselves out of position. Its a fine line there but they did it quite well.

91. Chachi says:

ashley:
    Here is a clip of Jumbo Joe trolling Henrik Sedin:

This is even better:

92. ashley says:

This is pretty good too. A taste of his own medicine:

93. ashley says:

Jets fans have had some other great chants recently like

“Crosby’s better” for Ovechkin
    “Silver Medal” for Ryan Miller
    “Katy Perry” for Corey Perry

94. Chachi says:

ashley:
    This is pretty good too.A taste of his own medicine:

Hilarious!

95. Georges says:

ashley:
    Here is a clip of Jumbo Joe trolling Henrik Sedin:

Here is a clip of Jumbo Joe lifting the Stanley Cup.

96. Oilanderp says:

Oilers need to take a page out of the Sedin’s playbook so they can win like the Nucks did in 2011…

97. Chachi says:

Georges: Here is a clip of Jumbo Joe lifting the Stanley Cup.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

98. Jethro Tull says:

Oilanderp:

Ahh yes, I remember it well. Turning the other cheek, Vancouver went on to become one of the most dominant teams ever, winning multiple Stanley’s and cementing their place in the HoF as the greatest dynasty ever.

Of course, the Sedins had a quality human being by the name of Burrows on their side at the time….

99. delooper says:

I agree with TexMex. The Oilers are taking way too many bad penalties. The Sharks are getting away with a lot — but they’re different kinds of things that “should” be penalized. The Sharks appear to know exactly how far they can go with the picks. If picks/interference isn’t being called, the Oilers should get better at it. If this much interference is okay, it’s unclear how the Oilers can avoid being caught in it. The SJ players have been picking their interference well.

100. Caller Zen says:

Georges: Here is a clip of Jumbo Joe lifting the Stanley Cup.

*enthusiastic clapping”

101. ashley says:

Georges: Here is a clip of Jumbo Joe lifting the Stanley Cup.

Awesome.

102. Oilin4 says:

Does anyone know why the Oilers won’t flip Drai to LW? Then they can bump Kassian or Eberle up instead.

103. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Melvis:
    Woodguy v2.0,

THEY’RE NOT THE GODDAM SHOW, JUST DROP THE BLOODY PUCK ALREADY!!!

104. Woodguy v2.0 says:

stephen sheps: seriously, I thought we weren’t doing that anymore

Its pretty awesome

105. Oilin4 says:

Younger Oil:
    Ryan Rishaug‏Verified account @TSNRyanRishaug 20m20 minutes ago

Rishaug should have told them it freezes better when they turn the lights off

106. Chachi says:

Rick Westhead‏Verified account
    @rwesthead

Breaking: NHL linesman Don Henderson has filed a $10.25M lawsuit v Calgary Flames D Dennis Wideman, @TSN_Sports and @CTVNews have learned.

Good for him. I hope he gets every penny he is suing them for.

107. stephen sheps says:

Woodguy v2.0,

if you didn’t catch the episode that aired last night, it’s the best episode they’ve made probably since the Archer Vice season

108. Georges says:

I’ll save my good games for when the game is done.

In the meantime, I’m finna hate on that fake past due date been nowhere done nuthin’ hairy clump of veteran fish balls we’re playing against.

Who the flying funk do they think they are?? Joe Thornton can go hold Crosby’s coat.

And move Vlasic. get out the way!!

(Apologies to any offended parties. It’s been sooo long. What is happening to me?)

109. Scungilli Slushy says:

The Oilers should include clips of Roy Scheider in their pre game intros. Or play Greenpeace clips about sharks being endangered species. And not so bright. Or both.

Oilers Rule!!!

110. BONVIE says:

Anyone have any insight as to wether Deharnais will be taken out of the lineup? I like Lander, Khaira, and Hendricks all as better options in that order, and I would give Poulliot another game to try to establish a bit of a game 5 x 5 because of his excellent Penalty killing in the first 3 games, but in the end your energy guys have to do exactly that bring the energy with their 8 to 10 minutes of icetime.

111. New Improved Darkness says:

TheGreatMutato:

Let me tell you a story.

A Buddhist monk lived high in the mountains, in a small stone house. Far, far in the distance was the ocean, visible and beautiful from the mountains. But it was not visible from the monk’s house itself, nor from the approach road to the house. However, in front of the house there stood a courtyard surrounded by a thick stone wall. As one came to the house, one passed through a gate into this court, and then diagonally across the court to the front door of the house. On the far side of the courtyard there was a slit in the wall, narrow and diagonal, cut through the thickness of the wall. As a person walked across the court, at one spot, where his position lined up with the slit in the wall, for an instant, he could see the ocean. And then he was past it once again, and went into the house. (source)

This is from Christopher Alexander’s famous book A Pattern Language, which was rather weirdly incorporated into a school of computer science system design back in the day. It was an interesting read, but I clearly didn’t draw from it what others were seeing.

What is it that happens in this courtyard? The view of the distant sea is so restrained that it stays alive forever. Who, that has ever seen that view, can ever forget it? Its power will never fade. Even for the man who lives there, coming past that view day after day for fifty years, it will still be alive.

This is the essence of the problem with any view. It is a beautiful thing. One wants to enjoy it and drink it in every day. But the more open it is, the more obvious,the more it shouts, the sooner it will fade. Gradually it will become part of the building, like the wallpaper; and the intensity of its beautify will no longer be accessible to the people who live there.

Here lies one of the great tragedies of the human condition. We crave the pure, unbroken, sustained, and repeatable bond. Yet nothing in life ultimately lives up to that ideal.

Before the Bettman point, I located my glorious Oilers’ window in the foyer beside the living room, which I might pass many times in any given day. After the Bettman point, I dislocated the window out into one of those long, stone corridors. I see the beauty less now, but I can also manage to get through a day without pinching my nose so hard it leaves visible welts.

Gradually, as I’ve aged, I’ve learned to settle with having many, many long stone corridors. Each one capable of giving me that momentary surpassing glimmer, but none so central to my daily affairs as to require the constant upkeep of ketchup and fries (the man on the left is Zeb Lear).

———

I just discovered HowSound last night. Some pretty good stuff, for anyone out there—anyone? anyone?—who might be in the radio (or podcast) production business.

HowSound #144 – Sound As Protagonist

This espisode explores the nearly impossible task of total emotional detachment in the service of ultimate human accomplishment. Highly recommended for anyone who is already struggling for breath ahead of this evening’s momentous conflagration.

———

The upshot is that I’ve come to a place where any passion in my life where I am not in total control is wired to a fickle Zen-like switch (such a deadman’s device precludes season tickets, and much else).

Bad reffage? Well, there’s always other food on my plate.

And you know what? I’ve had my moments. I was in a tiny whole-in-the-wall bar in Montreal for the Tikkanen goal, far too Quebecois for regular patronage. It was late, and few bars (with the correct television feed) were still open. When Tik fired that puck, I bounced out of my bar stool with three-foot vertical and a fist-pump for all time. Basically, it was my first and only time in Montreal where even the acerbic pure laine beamed upon my ecstasy with awe and reverence. Truly, a rare Anglo whose heart was not made of stone.

Half a life-time older and wiser, I’ve settled into a permanent mode of Zen-like apostasy. Witness: Drai’s boner was a real buzz kill. I had to momentarily lower the drapes on even that small remaining slit in the long stone corridor.

The great paradox of life: the only viable way to fumigate behind the curtain is to lower the drapes early and often.

Bettman : unbridled loyalty :: mushroom : horseshit.

Only that’s not quite right. Well-nourished mushrooms are known to sprout skyward like ravenous beanstalks.

———

Just so you know, the small window beside my living room still exists. It now looks out upon a glorious ribbon of scalloped lines etched in the wet sand which the ocean licks and tickles, yet somehow never fully submerges.

112. Georges says:

New Improved Darkness,

I’m envious of your Zen-like switch. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen the view. Its power, apparently, has not faded.

113. Woogie63 says:

Pretendergast:
    Ryan Rishaug‏Verified account
    @TSNRyanRishaug

12:37 PM – 20 Apr 2017

Ok I will say it ….. I thought Sharks liked water?

114. Woodguy v2.0 says:

stephen sheps:
    Woodguy v2.0,

On the PVR, haven’t got to it yet

115. Jethro Tull says:

Georges:
    New Improved Darkness,

One of my favourite lines from a modern song: Shots from both sides well, We got the land, but they got the view.

An interesting line, indicating that maybe you may have the moral high ground, but what the hell does it matter if others can disagree with you whilst enjoying the benefits of you being right without them owning a goddamn red cent in the matter?

A great post from NAD. It’s going to be a great evening….

116. Little Poteet says:

Jethro Tull,

A pat on the back to you for the Modest Mouse reference. Some serious poetry, and beautiful introspection comes from Isaac Brock’s brain. Their best stuff is weird and wonderful, sounds delightful with lyrics heavy like anvils.

117. commonfan14 says:

I wonder if the Oilers will elect to bridge McDavid on his next deal.

Might not be the best idea to commit giant money and term to a player who can be completely neutralized in the playoffs…

118. admiralmark says:

commonfan14:
    I wonder if the Oilers will elect to bridge McDavid on his next deal.

I’m gonna grab some popcorn and see how this goes. 🙂

119. jzed says:

Like Johnny Hockey?

120. Professor Q says:

Chachi:
    Rick Westhead‏Verified account
    @rwesthead

Good for him. I hope he gets every penny he is suing them for.

Can Yakupov sue the ref who injured him?

121. blainer says:

Biggest game of the season tonight. Which oiler team shows up for this one.

Predicted the series to go seven with the Oil winning at home so I’m calling the home team wins the rest of the way.

Go Olil !!

122. Nuclear leak says:

Professor Q: Can Yakupov sue the ref who injured him?

He could at the risk of being outcasted.. LOL

123. twacray says:

RedNed,

Gotta say that Gretzky is the equivalent to Bradman. There’s even some nice synchronicity with Bradman’s average being 99.94

Connor to me is more like Tendulkar or Lara (best since Bradman) or even Steve Smith, being the young upstart captain leading his team at a ridiculously high level.

124. spoiler says:

LT,

That might be favourite two opening paragraphs by you All-Time. And we’re not exactly talking a low bar here.

125. N64 says:

New Improved Darkness: After the Bettman point, I dislocated the window out into one of those long, stone corridors

True fact. In Physics the Bettman Point is the No Event Horizon.

126. N64 says:

Ginormous night for Major Lift tonight.

127. N64 says:

Pink Socks:
    Dammit LT, I just lost 30 minutes of my day reading the box scores from 1991.Tikkanen had a hell of a playoffs.

Watch the games nerd. 😉

128. Chachi says:

Professor Q: Can Yakupov sue the ref who injured him?

The answer is yes (you can pretty much sue anyone for anything) but the better question would be what would Yakupov ask for in compensation and what would the chances be of winning? Yakupov got paid for every game he missed and he was no screaming hell before the injury so it would be tough to prove that what the linesman did had any effect on his future earnings. I don’t think Yakupov has as strong a case as Henderson has against Wideman.

129. N64 says:

commonfan14:
    I wonder if the Oilers will elect to bridge McDavid on his next deal.

Yeah. Let some other team take the risk . Craig?

130. Admiral Ackbar says:

I’m thinking of sacrificing my cat to McJesus pre-game, tonight. Thoughts?

131. Chachi says:

Admiral Ackbar:
    I’m thinking of sacrificing my cat to McJesus pre-game, tonight. Thoughts?

I’d say yes even if there wasn’t a game tonight.

132. Admiral Ackbar says:

There’s no question that the refereeing has been wonky in this series. While the Oilers are hacking and slashing their way to blatant penalties, the Sharks are running obvious picks and other hold-up tactics in the offensive zone! I dislike the word gamesmanship, implying that it’s smart. It’s against the rules and bringing us back to the dark days of the 1994-2002 New Jersey Devils.

Refereeing like this always makes me worry about some sort of high up clandestine league mandate to push out low revenue teams. If that were the case, I’d rather just flat out know about it so it could be:
    1. Exposed
    2. Be a rally cry

GOILERS. Play through the interference. Win despite it. That’s the playoffs (apparently).

133. N64 says:

Pretendergast:
    Ryan Rishaug‏Verified account
    @TSNRyanRishaug

12:37 PM – 20 Apr 2017

Just crush them tonight and send Jumbo Joe and the Pocket Protectors back to San Jose and bury them there..

134. Admiral Ackbar says:

Chachi: I’d say yes even if there wasn’t a game tonight.

I wonder how McJesus would prefer that I sacrifice…….?

135. Zelepukin says:

commonfan14:
    I wonder if the Oilers will elect to bridge McDavid on his next deal.

You’re probably the only person on earth at this point who is thinking, lets see how this McDavid player pans out. I’m sill not sold on his abilities yet because he hasn’t won the cup yet after 4 games, despite being the major reason why we’re in the playoffs in the first place.

136. Professor Q says:

Admiral Ackbar: Poor Mr. Snuggles. We had a long run pal. Tonight you become a part of something greater.

I wonder how McJesus would prefer that I sacrifice…….?

Perhaps we should have traded for Skinner?

137. Admiral Ackbar says:

commonfan14:
    I wonder if the Oilers will elect to bridge McDavid on his next deal.

Imagine if P. Puck did that to Gretzky……..

Yeah. Lets not lock up that generational player and see if he can score 100 pts in a season and win the Art Ross trophy. You’re basing your assertion (“a player who can be completely neutralized in the playoffs”) on 4 games worth of data – data that is from his ‘first’ four ever playoff games too.

Are you new?

138. dangilitis says:

How much do you think Gagner’s next contract would be? Would be a great bottom 6 forward who could also play up and down the lineup. Great work on columbus’ first goal.

139. Admiral Ackbar says:

Professor Q: Perhaps we should have traded for Skinner?

Hint noted! I was going to use a flaming broom as an effigy though….

I hope this pleases Lord McJesus.

140. StixMalone says:

commonfan14:
    I wonder if the Oilers will elect to bridge McDavid on his next deal.

I can’t stop laughing at this! Not gonna happen dude!……

141. N64 says:

Admiral Ackbar: Imagine if P. Puck did that to Gretzky……..

Are you new?

Check your irony detector. He just wants to challenge him. 😉

142. Suntory Hanzo says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Maybe I am in be minority. I thought the Archrr vice arc was the worst of the series. Nearly stopped watching it after that.

Not as bad as SoA when they went to Ireland.

143. Admiral Ackbar says:

N64: Check your irony detector. He just wants to challenge him. 😉

😐 Damnit!!! I’m so gullible.

144. DBO says:

So McClellan mentions how tired our top guys are because of killing too many penalties. While I understand it has a lot to do with taking too many. Or maybe, just replace your current useless one dimensional ( not sure what one dimension Desharnais currently has…) 4th line centre with one who at least kills penalties and isn’t a smurf who gets overpowered and save your top end forwards for offense. Just saying.

#FreeAnton
    #Coachhatessideburns

145. treevojo says:

Tonight will be the night that McDavid shows the world he has another level.

Multi-point night.

Book it!

146. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Suntory Hanzo:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Not as bad as SoA when they went to Ireland.

147. stephen sheps says:

DBO:

#FreeAnton

so say we all
    (or, well… yeah…)

148. Spengler says:

Woodguy v2.0: I find the divide on that season lies between people who did cocaine and people who didn’t.

It’s a hell of a season.

149. Caller Zen says:

DBO:

It sounds like the coach is throwing some subtle shade about the refs… or I might be reading between the lines a bit too much.

150. Little Poteet says:

Spengler,

For a moment I thought this was about the hockey season

151. leadfarmer says:

Why are the games in Edmonton later then the games in San Jose? Makes no sense.

152. Professor Q says:

leadfarmer:
    Why are the games in Edmonton later then the games in San Jose?Makes no sense.

The officials.

153. Scungilli Slushy says:

twacray:
    RedNed,

In Gretzky apologetics, I’ve seen Michael Jordan and Don Bradman compared in terms of career impact against their sports.

Our Wayne of course when adjusted against peers, blew every comparable out of the water, to use a phrase Brett Hull once used about his pal.

154. JDI Хоккей says:

Oilin4: Does anyone know why the Oilers won’t flip Drai to LW?

155. ashley says:

I like Gagner, and he seems to have had a good year, but I think his NHL years are numbered. Speed seems to be the new currency in the NHL, and I think Gagner will find himself on the outside looking in. I predict he will get a decent contract on July as a second tier free agent and then get bought out of it and/or buried in the minors during the term.

156. Scungilli Slushy says:

JDI Хоккей: Those sneaky backhand passes. The sames ones that the Sharks have picked off pretty much at will.

He’ll learn, young players have to expand their weaponry. McDavid is also predictable at this point but of course so wildly explosive it’s a different matter.

157. McSorley33 says:

Jumbo Joe is pushing 40 with a gimpy knee….

I am hoping one of our 2Cs can beat him like a rented mule…..

158. Duane Hewitt says:

RedNed,

I would have thought Gretzky was Bradman and McDavid is Warne. Except that Warne was never made captain due to his off the field shenanigans.

159. Jethro Tull says:

Little Poteet:
    Jethro Tull,

I would heartily recommend MM to any Talking Heads fans out there.

160. JDI Хоккей says:

Tryamkin saying he’s leaving for ‘family reasons’, but it would be interesting to see what the dollars are on his KHL contract.

I’m having a hard time believing it’s just Lady and the Tryamkin.

161. ashley says:

Chicago looks bad here. In hindsight, Calgary and Chicago might have been the best first round match-ups.

MIN is down too, but at least they look like they are in the games.

162. Pouzar says:

F^ck the Sharks. F^ck those guys.

163. Elkhorn Boy says:

So I am in Lima Peru and in need of a steady online feed, if anybody can help me I’d appreciate a link. Go Oil!,,

164. Pouzar says:

Elkhorn Boy:
    So I am in Lima Peru and in need of a steady online feed, if anybody can help me I’d appreciate a link.Go Oil!,,

onhockey.tv many great feeds to be had.

165. Younger Oil says:

I haven’t paid attention to this in the past decade:

166. Crazy Pedestrian says:

ashley:
    Chicago looks bad here.In hindsight, Calgary and Chicago might have been the best first round match-ups.

MIN is down too, but at least they look like they are in the games.

That’s because the Ducks have the book on the fLames… and Nashville is playing the the elusive “Pred-Trap” (which kills the Oilers as well)

167. Oilanderp says:

Jultz gives Nuge some playoff advice HA!

*checks sky to make sure it’s not falling*

168. twacray says:

Scungilli Slushy,

It’s much the same for Sir Don. When it comes to cricket batsmen, there’s no-one even close. Based on average alone he’s a clear 30% better than anyone else, all time.

He didn’t play the same quantity of games as more modern players, so unlike Gretzky he doesn’t hold overall scoring records anymore. But he still holds a dozen batting records. Like Gretz he’s also credited with being able to put the puck/ball where into spaces that no-one expected them to be able to do.

Both Gretz and Sir Don…just insane their level of dominance.

169. JDI Хоккей says:

Oilanderp: *checks sky to make sure it’s not falling*

Could ‘Jultzing’ become a favorable verb?

170. spoiler says:

LET’S GO, OILERS, LET’S GO!!

171. Kert says:

Younger Oil,

The teams that did not qualify for the playoffs the previous season (picks 1–15)
    The teams that made the playoffs in the previous season but did not win either their division in the regular season or play in the Conference Finals (picks 16–23 up to 27)
    The teams that won their divisions in the previous season but did not play in the Conference Finals (potentially picks 24–27)
    The teams that lose in Conference Finals (picks 28 and 29)
    The team that was the runner-up in the Stanley Cup Finals (pick 30)
    The team that won the Stanley Cup in the previous season (pick 31)

That’s from wikipedia, citing this:

172. Gerta Rauss says:

Younger Oil: Is draft position for teams eliminated in the first round determined by how long they lasted in the first round, or their position in the league during the regular season?

It’s essentially their position in the regular season, with the understanding the 4 conference finalists pick 27-30

*edit-what Kert said

173. BeerMe says:

The Oil better win this game. I’m going to Game 6 and if there’s a risk of elimination, I’m going to be beside myself

174. Professor Q says:

“McDavid needs to trick the refs into thinking and seeing Pavelski pulling *him* down in the neutral zone.”

– Nick Kypreos

175. N64 says:

BeerMe:

You’d need 2 seats

176. JDI Хоккей says:

BeerMe: I’m going to be beside myself

You’ll need two tickets then.

177. spoiler says:

I’m expecting to see one motivated German tonight.

Rootin for the Teuton!

178. JDI Хоккей says:

N64,

frowns perturbedly

179. digger50 says:

Please Tmac, turn the hounds loose tonight!

The super sphincter tight defence worked for game three but backfired game four.
    Boys were way back on thier heels and playing scared.

Take the muzzles off Kassin, give Looch the green light. Hard clean hits and aggressive forecheck. Yes

Sharks are scared of Connor, the d must do anything to get the puck up ice, including just flipping it out where Connor can skate onto it. Back the Sharks d nen away from the blueline, open up some space.

A little more freewheeling game, I like our chances.

180. JDI Хоккей says:

George Canyon – pay attention.

181. Professor Q says:

Joel Ward looked so surprised at the introduction of Nuge.

182. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Preds sweep Hawks… there is now an ultimate parity in the west…

183. JDI Хоккей says:

I hope Joey’s live mic feed gets leaked afterwards. Not to make fun of him, but because you know that’s the most emotional version of the anthem you’re ever going to hear.

184. Spengler says:

Hopefully the game is less disjointed than the anthem.

185. BeerMe says:

LOL the crowd feed is out of sync, or am I high?

186. Melman says:

Looks like Rinne isn’t done yet…

187. JDI Хоккей says:

BeerMe:
    LOL the crowd feed is out of sync, or am I high?

Don’t rule out ‘both’.

But yes, the feed between Ford hall and the arena was not synchronous.

188. jp says:

Game on boys and girls. Most important game of the year!!!

GoOilers!!!!

189. Professor Q says:

Crazy Pedestrian:
    Preds sweep Hawks… there is now an ultimate parity in the west…

I think St. Louis and Nashville could be very dangerous.

190. spoiler says:

Better start, but make sure you’re on the right side of pucks, guys. That last breakout was too optimistic.

191. Spengler says:

Well then…

192. Professor Q says:

Well the attack effort is there. Just need the finish.

193. JDI Хоккей says:

💩 missed a nice chance there.

194. spoiler says:

Jesus, be nice to have a goal after all that. But heckuva start.

195. ashley says:

Guy Lafleur!

196. Oilanderp says:

Last year’s Pouliot would’ve cashed there.

197. Spengler says:

Desharnais looking like Lafleur there. Not talentwise, but still…

198. Oilanderp says:

ashley:
    Guy Lafleur!

I thought the EXACT same thing lol

Newer Comments »