DRAFT AND FOLLOW 2017

One area of procurement I find fascinating is the large pool of prospects outside of the main arteries of talent. Once teams mine the CHL, the USHL, college and junior leagues, general managers reach a crossroads. They can continue drafting less brilliant CHL/USHL/etc players who could not emerge as feature players, or they can find second tier leagues and draft superior athletes. I think Matthew Cairns was such a player a year ago, as was Jujhar Khaira in 2012 and on it goes.

Are the Oilers increasing this area? Are they spending more valuable (earlier) picks on these types of players? How successful have picks been in the recent past? For our purposes, I am using all Canadian and American tier two leagues (including prep).

STEVE TAMBELLINI (2009-12)

• 2009—D Troy Hesketh in the 3rd round, No. 71 overall. Drafted out of Minnetonka (USHS) after 17-year old season. Hesketh didn’t develop as a player and there wasn’t a lot of buzz about him on draft day.
  • 2009—D Kyle Bigos in the 4th round, No. 99 overall. Drafted out of Vernon (BCJHL) after 20-year old season, he attended Merrimack College (NCAA) for four years before turning pro at age 24 by signing with the San Jose Sharks.
  • 2010—F  Kellen Jones in the 7th round, No. 202 overall. Drafted out of Vernon (BCJHL) after 20-year old season, he attended Quinnipiac (NCAA) for four years before turning pro by signing with the Oklahoma City Barons for his 24-year old season. He is now a productive AHL player, and a dynamite penalty killer at that level.
  • 2012—C Jujhar Khaira in the 3rd round, No. 63 overall. Drafted out of Prince George (BCJHL) after 17-year old season, he attended Michigan Tech for one year and Everett (WHL) for one year then turned pro. Khaira has improved steadily during his entry-level deal, and has played 25 NHL games. He should be considered the most accomplished of these players.

CRAIG MACTAVISH 2013-14

• 2013—F Aidan Muir in the 4th round, No. 113 overall. Drafted out of Victory Honda Midget (MWEHL) after 17-year old season, he played with Indiana (USHL) and moved to Western Michigan University for the last three seasons. Has made progress, but has also suffered from injury. Has one more year of college eligibility.
  • 2013—L Evan Campbell in the 5th round, No. 128 overall. Drafted out of Langley (BCJHL) after 20-year old season, he completed his fourth season with UMass-Lowell (NCAA) this spring. Year two was solid to good, but he was that rare college player whose playing time appears to have been reduced in his later years.
  • 2014—L Liam Coughlin in the 5th round, No 130 overall. Drafted out of Vernon (BCJHL) after 19-year old season, he had some issues getting into (Boston) University so spent another year in BC. He was traded by Chiarelli to the Chicago organization before entering college at Vermont, where he has posted two seasons (66 games) and a lower point total (23).

PETER CHIARELLI 2015-16

• 2015—D John Marino in the 6th round, No. 154 overall. Drafted out of South Shore Kings (USPHL), he played for the Tri-City Storm (USHL) and then played for Harvard this past season. He is an interesting prospect who has a chance.
  • 2016—D Matthew Cairns in the third round, No. 84 overall. Drafted from the Georgetown Raiders of the OJHL, Cairns was one of the earliest tier two picks of the 2016 entry draft. His scouting reports implied a raw player: Black Book: Matthew is a big defenseman with a good frame. His skating has experienced some improvements but his first few steps are still a little choppy. Simple has been the key for Cairns. He does a good job playing his man one on one letting the play come to him and attacking at the right time.

I think there are probably elements of this scouting report that apply to all of the players on this draft and follow list. They are long rangers in terms of development, but if they turn out the drafting team is going to get a very useful player. In my opinion John Marino is the most promising in this group since Khaira, but that’s probably bias and we will see how this all turns out. I wrote about draft and follow candidates for the 2017 draft here, but the nature of this player is that we are scrambling on draft day to find out about him. One final note: There were four players from this category chosen before No. 100 overall, three of them on Steve Tambellini’s watch and Matthew Cairns.

25 Responses to "DRAFT AND FOLLOW 2017"

1. season not played says:

agree with you on Marino.

and he shoots right!

2. Professor Q says:

season not played:
    agree with you on Marino.

and he shoots right!

And his name’s Marino!

3. Ducey says:

How about Parker Foo? http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=176204

Brother to Spencer Foo, who hopefully will sign with EDM right away.

He would be an overager (I think) but only by a few days

If you want Foo Fighters, you need more than one.

4. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Great post LT! LT: you lie! LT says: “One area of procurement I find fascinating is the large pool of prospects outside of the main arteries of talent.”

– Liar: There is not one area of procurement that you don’t find fascinating! Name one: you can’t!

– I love that you do this procurement stuff, it’s a big part of LT

5. Nuclear leak says:

Jim, Craig, and Scott.

I’ll miss Louie this round, former tough guy calling perhaps what will be the most violent of all the series.

How many Auston comparable will the drop per/60

6. Professor Q says:

Nuclear leak:
    Jim, Craig, and Scott.

How many Auston comparable will the drop per/60

Well we know that his future is incredibly bright, if no one has noticed.

Connor who?

The Caroline Hurricanes are likely to have the most unusual protected list for expansion…probably choosing 8 skaters and one goaltender, and protecting 7 forwards, 1 defensemen (Faulk), and a goaltender.

According to CapFriendly, Pesce, Slavin, Hanifan, etc all are exempt.

They could trade Faulk to the Oilers for Nugent-Hopkins and protect 8 forwards, no defensemen, and one goaltender.

8. Scungilli Slushy says:

The Hurricanes D is weird. Plus minUs over a season ‘starts’ to reveal things. Slavin Pesce seem a pair and both over + 20 and Hanifin Faulk another both approaching -20, the other pair to minUs as well. So you have to think they are trying to sell Faulk because of his scoring, but it seems he’s like Shattenkirk.

IMO the Oilers don’t need offence from the back as Klef Nurse and Larson come on. And Sekera is good as well, Benning developing. Harmonic Trouba any competent stable defender that isn’t overpriced seems a better fit. Nuge going for anything but a Jones type player is a loss, especially when the coach thinks him an elite two way centre. No more selling low on quality.

9. Centre of attention says:

godot10:

According to CapFriendly, Pesce, Slavin, Hanifan, etc all are exempt.

Klefbom-Larsson
    Sekera-Faulk
    Nurse-Benning

Oh god yes, can someone distill this into something I can main-line?

10. stush18 says:

HEy woodguy thanks for the reply in the thread earlier.

I know hockey is more or less what you give up versus what you get, but using goals doesn’t seem to be the most effective way to measure this, imo.

11. stush18 says:

godot10:

According to CapFriendly, Pesce, Slavin, Hanifan, etc all are exempt.

Man I really enjoy carolinas drafting this past few years.

They need to cash some of these young dmen for a good forward, but the progress is there

12. stush18 says:

As for LTs post, Aidin Muir is my personal favourite.

I would sign him if I was chiarelli. If I was muir, I’d wait till next year. Right now he’s facing

Drai
    Ebs
    JP
    Kassian
    Slepyshev
    Pitlick
    Pakarinen
    Fontaine
    Russell
    Chase
    Deschaneau

I think most of these players return, so I would grab a degree if I was him and then sign with the oilers

13. Ryan says:

Centre of attention: Klefbom-Larsson
    Sekera-Faulk
    Nurse-Benning

Oh god yes, can someone distill this into something I can main-line?

Ha.

I know, I’ve been banging on the Faulk drum here for ages for the same reason.

That’d be one hell of a blue line next season.

What’s funnier is that Sekera and Faulk have already played a fair amount together.

14. Zelepukin says:

stush18:
    As for LTs post, Aidin Muir is my personal favourite.

Drai
    Ebs
    JP
    Kassian
    Slepyshev
    Pitlick
    Pakarinen
    Fontaine
    Russell
    Chase
    Deschaneau

15. slopitch says:

Laces out Marino!

16. JDI Хоккей says:

Zelepukin: sigh… i wish Pits was healthy. You know he’d be a bat out of hell in the playoffs.

If Pitlick made it to the playoffs, he’d probably rival Evil Knievel in fractures/60.

17. Centre of attention says:

So the Blue Jays are literally taking flight in St Louis tonight.

Coghlan literally superman’s over the back catcher to avoid getting gunned down at home plate.

I’ve seen some impressive dodges but never something this “over-the-top” (pardon the pun)

18. GMB3 says:

Centre of attention:
    So the Blue Jays are literally taking flight in St Louis tonight.

I’ve seen some impressive dodges but never something this “over-the-top”(pardon the pun)

It was a very literal pun.

When I think about Edmonton’s depth chart at right wing for next seasons, I honestly always forget about putting Pitlick in the mix. Eberle, Pitlick, Kassian, Puljujarvi, Slepyshev, Pakarinen (doubt he returns). All of those are right shot wingers, and then the cherry on top is C/RW Leon Draisaitl.

I’m not sure if Spencer Foo will sign here, he’s got some pretty steep competition for playing time and I’d say his odds of cracking the NHL roster next year are somewhere from pretty slim to absolutely no chance at all. And I’m leaning towards the latter.

19. stush18 says:

GMB3,

AGreed. He’s got a lot harder climb than elsewhere imo

20. Lloyd B. says:

GMB3,

3rd center is available next year. Maybe not for a rookie.

4th center is available the year after when Letestu contract is done.

Center depth for the Oilers is light if Draisaitl stays on McDavids wing.

If I’m a young right shot center, I see an opportunity.

Especially if I can smell a unicorn fart.

21. 106 and 106 says:

Lloyd B.,

Which smells, obviously, like crushed orange skittles.

22. Zelepukin says:

GMB3: It was a very literal pun.

I welcome the audition though. After Jultz was robbed of his Norris trophy, it was rather easy to have zero expectations of both Benning and Cags. Those two even making the roster seemed like wishful thinking, let alone actually being real NHL players in year one.

23. JDI Хоккей says:

Wooot!

Only 15 hours to puck drop!

24. Pouzar says:

JDI Хоккей:
    Wooot!

Only 15 hours to puck drop!

WOOT!