2017 PLAYOFFS (G8): G2 OILERS AT DUCKS

The Edmonton Oilers win in Game 1 (on the road) changes the storyline in the early days of this series. I felt Edmonton needed to win one of the first two games in Anaheim in order to make this a full series. Winning the first game allows us to dream big, to at least contemplate a 2-0 series lead coming home. Don’t count on it, ladies and men. Tonight is war.

OILERS PLAYOFF SCORING

Edmonton has played 7 games now, so are averaging 2.71 goals for and allowing 2.14 against per game. That’s a nice gap. Leon is leading the offense, I think McDavid is probably suffering from the flu and we may see him set sail soon. Also possible the Nuge line erupts. Oscar Klefbom and Adam Larsson have the same boxcars, that’s not going to happen many times during their work together. Benning looked a little gaunt the other night might be a flu victim too. I love his game and future.

SLEPYSHEV WINNING

• Todd McLellan on Anton Slepyshev: “He is looking comfortable he is making plays and he is taking advantage of 10 minutes a night.”

I wrote an item over at Oilers Nation last night about the extra men available to the Oilers. Anton Slepyshev is parking Iiro Pakarinen, Matt Hendricks, Anton Lander, Jujhar Khaira and others with his fine play, and I think it is a tell. When we discuss the fall roster in July and August, my bet is that Slepyshev will be on it. That crazy trade. Huh.

There are over 600 EMHL members, 250 of whom are involved in co-ed. Ilya Ostrovsky estimates Edmonton has the most devoted players, proven by the unusual start times for games. Ice is a rare item in this city, more on that in a moment. I asked Ilya to pass along what you get when joining EMHL:

• “We provide the most on ice playing time per game and per season. Our 22 minute clock maximizes ice time over the 30 game winter season prior to playoffs. Each individual registration receives a brand new team uniform (made in Canada) each season they play. We guarantee singles or small groups a team regardless of skill set and place them on a league-made individual team.”
  • “The EMHL offers players up to the minute stats which are updated immediately after the game online. Players get seasonal awards for top points and top Goalies in each division. Winning players receive a limited edition Division leader ring for winning the Division leader award. Our teams that win the Division receive a set of team rings (21) to commemorate the win along with a Team trophy to keep. This is done during a team party the league throws for each winning squad post win.”

Ilya told me if he gets enough registrations for summer league, he will put a Lowetide team in the league. I told him anyone who registers from this blog is cool, except for my friend Dean who skates on his ankles and cries about playing time. As I mentioned, the future for rec hockey (and EMHL) involves more ice. I’ll talk about that tomorrow. Click on the ad to register if you are interested!

BOB MCKENZIE’S TOP 15 FOR 2017

There is lots of disagreement between Bob McKenzie’s lottery list and the Lowetide list, but that isn’t exactly news. There does seem to be a lot of disagreement among scouts after Vilardi at No. 3 based on what McKenzie wrote about his Top 15. Men on my top 15 not listed here are Eeli Tolvanen (No. 10), Kailer Yamamoto (No. 11), Juuso Valimaki (No. 12), Nick Suzuki (No. 13), Robert Thomas (No. 14). To give you an idea about how much disagreement that represents at the top, here is last year’s top 15 from BM and my rankings:

McKenzie’s list is here, mine here. The only players on my list that appear later on BM’s list? Dante Fabbro (No. 11) and Alex DeBrincat (No. 15). This draft is wide open folks, scouts are going to earn their money this year.

SUPER WOWY’S

Puckalytics and Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com are the gold standard for advanced stats (although I do believe WoodMoney is going to be a fantastic addition) at this time. The genius who runs those sites has delivered playoff numbers to our doorstep and I thank him a lot. Here is the site, and here are some numbers:

• Connor McDavid played 8:47 against Ryan Kesler at 5×5 in Game 1. Corsi events 9-9, 50 percent.
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins played 5:50 against Ryan Getzlaf at 5×5 in Game 1. Corsi events 3-5, 37.5 percent.
  • Adam Larsson played 6:19 against Ryan Getzlaf at 5×5 in Game 1. Corsi events 6-6, 50 percent.

This is TOO EARLY TO DRAW ANY CONCLUSIONS DO NOT DRAW ANY CONCLUSIONS!!! It does inform us about deployment and we can track any changes in line matching over the piece. We will find this invaluable, monitoring and letting the days go by (water flowing underground), and the real value will come at the end of the series. Example? Connor McDavid spent 70 minutes against Marc-Edouard Vlasic 5×5 in Round 1, representing 68 percent of total icetime. McDavid had the edge in Corsi events 82-78, 51.3 percent. Good information.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A fun show! 10 this morning, TSN 1260 and scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky, BigMouthSports. A look at each of the four remaining series, and which Canadian team has the best chance at the final four?
  • Andy McNamara, TSN4Downs. What a crazy first round!
  • Matt Iwanyk, TSN1260. Will the Oilers win tonight? Who is your first option on defense and at forward among the extra forwards?
  • Paul Almeida, SSE. Oilers have increased depth, how close are they to a strong Stanley run?

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Friday on my mind! Playoff game tonight! Where am I?

886 Responses to "2017 PLAYOFFS (G8): G2 OILERS AT DUCKS"

« Older Comments
  1. Chachi says:

Yak Efron:
    The no-call on McDavid was the turning point of the game.

Great minds…

2. Lucinius says:

So.. craptacular game aside (exceptions being guys like Talbot, Larsson, Sleppy, RNH — for most of the game, and a few others).. the Oilers now lead the series 2-0. Worst we can do now is lose in 6.

That is the absolute worst the Oilers can do. 6 games, 2nd round.

Not too shabby for such an in-experienced group.

3. striatic says:

LMHF#1: Important piece. They got it done. Found their focus for just Lon enough.

4. Pescador says:

striatic:
    Loved hearing the GO OILERS GO chants in the 3rd at Honda Center, with the Oilers struggling. Fans in enemy territory helping to pull the Oilers through it.

Big Ups to the traveling faithful,
    Wish I was one

5. Lucinius says:

striatic: It felt like Anaheim was almost surprised in the last 2 minutes that the Oilers FINALLY showed some backbone and defensive acumen and things weren’t effortless for the Ducks anymore in terms of zone entry. That shock helped the Oilers through it.

Playing possum?

I wish that was it. Still, it is true; they actually had a good final two minutes. Still wish Lucic had hit that empty netter. Some breathing room and a nice middle finger to the Ducks.

6. striatic says:

Pescador: Big Ups to the traveling faithful,
    Wish I was one

Hope someone asks McLellan about it.

7. JOFA says:

I don’t know about you guys but I think I just lost a year off my life. That was not healthy. Thank you Mr. Talbot😊

8. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

As our host said at the outset this was a must win for the Ducks

Before the last two games the Ducks hadn’t lost in regulation in 6 weeks

And the Oilers bent but didn’t break

Now they head home up 2-0

Take a moment to savour that before melting down

9. Iztok Turk says:

History repeats itself.

10. Spengler says:

Lucinius: Playing possum?

Left the rope a dope until the last minute of the 15th round. Risky strategy.

11. --hudson-- says:

Yak Efron:
    The no-call on McDavid was the turning point of the game.

On home ice that is going to get called. Ridiculous non call

12. Lloyd B. says:

Strapping Jocks:
    Ok, it was tense.

But good news guys…. every game day that I’ve gone for a run, the Oilers have won.

Had a nice run this this aft.

Better news: I am training for a half marathon in Ottawa at the very end of May, so I need to be out for runs a lot.

Be careful what you ask for. The runs can be nasty!

13. theDjdj says:

Larsson showing his full worth in the playoffs as some predicted. He truly is a gem.

14. jzed says:

Ok TMac, tell it like it is, if home team looks bad , manufacture some momentum, sounds good if it works that way all the time, watch the ass hat refs continue as usual back at Rogers.

15. jm363561 says:

Just sitting here alone in my hotel room staring at the screen wondering how on earth they won that. Cam Talbot and his amazing goalposts do it again. That was taking Bend don’t Break to the absolute limit.

Would like to see Sleps with more ice time. He seems to make a difference out there.

16. Stelio Kontos says:

I refuse to believe in this team. That’s when they get you.

17. striatic says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!: Before the last two games the Ducks hadn’t lost in regulation in 6 weeks

Carlyle seemed WAY too casual in the post game of Game 1 and lead up to Game 2. As great as Anaheim was in the third, they weren’t that good or good enough for 60 minutes. Not until they were down 2-0. Lack of urgency cost them.

18. jm363561 says:

theDjdj:

Lucic not so much.

19. Spengler says:

I’ll leave the evaluation for those more tactically adept and erudite than I. I will however leave you with this thought,

2 games to none!

Wooooot!

20. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Oilers will be outplayed tonight for every reason mentioned in this thread.

Talbot could steal this game if Gibson shits the bed and the refs call a few penalties.

Stan Weir.

Fernando Pisani.

GOILERS!

*clap,clap*

Fucking eh!!

21. fuzzy muppet says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

They hadn’t lost two straight regulation games since games one and two…..OF THE SEASON

22. namflashback says:

Awful play by our team.

However, they have not yet played their best in this series. Yet they are up 2-0.

Imagine if they can actually bring their good level of play on Sunday!

23. Zelepukin says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    As our host said at the outset this was a must win for the Ducks

Before the last two games the Ducks hadn’t lost in regulation in 6 weeks

And the Oilers bent but didn’t break

Now they head home up 2-0

Take a moment to savour that before melting down

ANA is not gonna know what hit em when walking into Rogers. Any tired legs/pains from these past 2 games are going to be magically healed for game 3. They’re basically going from a half-filled quiet arena to the loudest building in the league.

24. Woodguy v2.0 says:

WOOOOOOOOTTTTT!!!!!

25. Washingtron says:

namflashback:
    Awful play by our team.

However, they have not yet played their best in this series.Yet they are up 2-0.

Was just gonna say the same thing. Still essentially no shows, particularly offensively, from line 2 and no dominant game from Mr McD. Insane we’re heading home up 2.

26. Iztok Turk says:

It’s like the 2006 -PAUSE- button has finally been pressed. This is some good s*** gents. Settle in and enjoy the ride!

27. Yak Efron says:

Haha Ducks aren’t even going to stay overnight in Edmonton, biggest babies in the league.

28. delooper says:

Watching the summary of the shots Talbot faced, I’m noticing Kesler can’t aim. Talbot is centred on his shot before he takes it. It’s like Kesler is shooting into the logo.

29. Spengler says:

Woodguy v2.0: Fucking eh!!

With great power comes great responsibility.

Could you not predict this again?!

30. Crazy Pedestrian says:

–hudson–: On home ice that is going to get called. Ridiculous non call

Are you kidding??? No it’s not… at this point, I’m pretty sure the zebras have an exception clause that states: “If any player shall commit an infraction apon Connor McDavid, a penalty will only be called after confirming a 20 roll on a d20 die made by the timekeeper at the time of the infraction”

31. Chachi says:

Yak Efron:

Are they going to stay in Leduc?

32. delooper says:

Chachi: Are they going to stay in Leduc?

Kelowna, apparently.

33. LMHF#1 says:

Play that clip of Jeff O’Moron claiming the Ducks would sweep them on a loop before the next two games.

Time to crank it up for these guys and carry them for the next 2 games.

34. Yak Efron says:

Chachi,

Flying to Kelowna, believe it or not.

35. Chachi says:

delooper: Kelowna, apparently.

36. Lloyd B. says:

This is a growth team. Learned another valuable lesson tonight. Maybe 2.

They now have 23 players x 8 playoff games they didn’t have at the start of the year. That is 184 games more playoff game experience.

There’s something happening here !!

WOOOOOOT !!!!!

37. delooper says:

Chachi: That is crazy. Why put your team through more travel than necessary? Are they planning on going to Ogopogo Theme Park? Starting to think Randy Carlyle is not quite a genius.

Any reason for a May 1st, late party on Monday in Kelowna?

38. Spengler says:

delooper,

May day!

39. Boil-in-the-Oil says:

JOFA,

Yup. And might I add . . . Thank you Glen Sather for gifting us with such a talent.
    CLAP, CLAP, CLAPCLAPCLAP :))

40. Lloyd B. says:

Just saw the interview with Maroon. That is why this team is winning. The attitude he has is all about the team.

Funny line. He tells Talbot his only job is to stop the puck. And then that big sloppy grin. Priceless.

41. Chachi says:

delooper: Any reason for a May 1st, late party on Monday in Kelowna?

That is just awesome. Any advantage the Oilers can get is pretty wonderful.

42. treevojo says:

Lucinius:
    Man, the Oilers did not deserve to win that game. Not even by a little. Complete domination by the Ducks for most of the game and the Oilers slip away giggling like school girls with the 2-0 series lead.

They really need a centre that can win some draws, if only so they aren’t so gassed by the third period from always chasing the puck. But hey, Lander isn’t allowed to play for the Oilers, so I have no idea what the hell they do.

I heard Belanger is pretty good at the face offs.

Maybe we could get Tambellini to ring him up.

43. trencan says:

Well, one the biggest advantage of this team in this playoff is fact, they are not under pressure. The team has exceeded our expectations and this is fantastic. Enjoy the ride guys because next year I expect more 2 digit numbers in Hunter1909’s 2018 NHL Playoff Death March.

44. striatic says:

Weird. The Stanley Cup Playoffs aren’t the time for a corporate retreat.

But what do I know, maybe it is just what they need to turn things around.

45. treevojo says:

tcho:
    Love the Nuge, but I think the Getzlaf assignment is too much for him. I’m guessing the #s will not be very flattering for him (or any of the Oilers)

Nuge 1pt

Getz 0pt

I like those numbers

46. Centre of attention says:

Carlyle will hear the ping of that crossbar in his sleep.

Good riddance.

47. Pescador says:

Chachi: That is just awesome. Any advantage the Oilers can get is pretty wonderful.

LinkedIn
    Napoli fans disrupt Madrid’s sleep
    By Football Espana staff

Real Madrid players endured a disrupted Monday night after 100 Napoli fans reportedly blared car horns and banged pots and pans outside the team’s hotel.

Ducks stay in the city, this is what the oiler fans are capable of. Hilarious

48. Centre of attention says:

Fun fact, sorry if someone has mentioned this already but:

The Oilers have more wins in Anaheim this series than the Flames do in 13 years.

And with that, I bid you good night gentleman, I must now pass out in a drunken stupor if anyone is concerned with my whereabouts.

49. treevojo says:

Might as well enjoy your last work week together as a team.

Think Anaheim could convince Vegas to take perrys contract if he would wave?

50. Pescador says:

jm363561:

His ice time was limited because of the Cagguila injury. Disrupted the lines.
    Tmac trustes him, he was on the ice with less then 3 to play protecting a precious lead. The puck generally went in the right direction. He is a hound on the puck.

51. Pescador says:

Centre of attention:
    Fun fact, sorry if someone has mentioned this already but:

The Oilers have more wins in Anaheim than the Flames do in 13 years.

We’re not

52. delooper says:

So. . . are there any industrious Okopogans here on the forum that are good at figuring out hotel reservations?

53. Spengler says:

Hey guys, has anyone seen Centre of Attention? I’m worried about his whereabouts.

54. delooper says:

Woodguy? No, I haven’t heard from him in a while.

55. Centre of attention says:

Pescador: We’re not

i expected as much 🙂

Can’t sleep now for what ever reason, so I’m watching game 1 again.

Spengler:

I woke up again with an insatiable hunger.

Fridge is completely raided. Mission success.

Centre of attention:
    Carlyle will hear the ping of that crossbar in his sleep.

Good riddance.

He aged 10 years during that game.

57. Younger Oil says:

Just got home from Rogers Place, my first time going, it was a really neat atmosphere.

Me and the people I was with spent most of the 3rd thinking that the Oilers didn’t deserve to win that game, but on the way home, a thought came to me:

Fuck that noise.

The Oilers weathered the middle half of the game where the refs were doing everything in their ability to gift the Ducks momentum.

The Letestu goalie interference I could somewhat at the time, but the exact same thing was done to Talbot in the 2nd, and nothing was done.

The molestation of McDavid by Getzlaf followed immediately by the Kassian hold being called was some of the most blatantly uneven refereeing I have ever seen.

And yet the Oilers still won.

Yeah, we needed the post to save us a couple of times, but the Ducks needed the post once, and were being gifted opportunities by the refs. Of course it was going to be an extremely lopsided game.

Great win. Still view the Oilers as the underdogs in this series, but they have a great opportunity.

58. New Improved Darkness says:

After the game, Jack and Bob were saying it was the best game they’ve seen from Nuge, and they have covered him for six years. The way Jack called the game, that’s how it sounded all along.

What did he see that the camera didn’t?

———

The other thing Jack pointed out is that Connor and Drai were given a bit of rest midway through the third, so they had their best legs for the final three minutes. During the extended shit-show, TMac liked what he was seeing from the makeshift 3/4 line and gave them some extra shifts.

———

Seriously, it’s mid-way through the third, we’re up a goal, with Cam playing great, and I still wasn’t sure I would take our side on an even wager. I had Anaheim at about 80% chance of tying the game up, and then 60% chance of scoring a goal in OT. This was around the time of the two posts. That amounts to about 50–50 odds. With one side carrying a three-stroke lead. Into the 15th hole.

There have been times before where I felt my team was losing, up a goal midway through the third (I’ve been right about some of those games), but never when my team’s goalie was dialed in. I didn’t change my mind until the Poo penalty. Then I said “well, maybe there’s still hope.”

———

On a positive note, didn’t get the feeling Kesler’s shooting accuracy was anything to write home about. You can tell when Jack knows the shot will miss right off the stick, the tension in his voice is already falling before his tone finishes rising. (I suspect he’s not the kind of man who could easily conceal busting out his gut-shot draw while representing the nuts.)

———

Finally, a bit of trivia: I’m pretty sure Jack said “we’re a buck eleven into the frame” in two separate periods. Interesting incantation. Clearly not a good play charm. Perhaps a good luck charm.

Either way, on present conditioning, next time I hear it, I’ll probably turtle.

What a weird-ass tilt.

59. delooper says:

Kesler can shoot hard but he seems to have no idea how to aim.

60. New Improved Darkness says:

Yeah. And another thing. After the game, Bob said “the energy at Roger’s Place will give the guys a boost” so many times, I thought he was spinning a prayer wheel.

61. Younger Oil says:

Also:

The way Milan Lucic is handling the puck is costing this team in a big way.

The number of times he has two line mates driving forward, and he turns around, starts skating back up the ice, and then gives the puck away is absolutely insane.

On another note, I can’t remember the last Kris Russell shift where he spent more time in the offensive zone than the defensive zone.

62. Centre of attention says:

delooper:
    Kesler can shoot hard but he seems to have no idea how to aim.

Dude once scored 40 goals. Seriously.

63. HT Joe says:

Centre of attention: Dude once scored 40 goals. Seriously.

Lucky for the Oilers that was 6 seasons ago (and he hasn’t scored more than 25 since). 🙂

*EDIT* But point taken… he consistently scores > 20g per year, which is pretty damn good.

64. Centre of attention says:

New Improved Darkness,

Nuge was the still partially edible bread desperately trying to contain the rest of the shit sandwhich which was the Oilers performance tonight.

He had his usual stick lifts, showed some of his old magic on the PP to help set up the GWG.

Nuge was also 45% on the dot, while the next closest was Desharnais at 33%. So best on the team on a night where it seemed they couldn’t win a draw.

He marked his man and skated miles. Same as it ever was.

65. Roughneck says:

Yak Efron,

They may need to prepare their summer homes.

66. npanciroli says:

Most impressive thing to me is Oilers winning without McDavid carrying them.

67. JDI Хоккей says:

Infuckingcredible:

68. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Teams that go up 2-0 hold an all-time series record of 293-48 (85.9%)

– Suspect its even higher if you win the first two games on the road. I’d bet 95%+

69. Soup Fascist says:

delooper:
    Kesler can shoot hard but he seems to have no idea how to aim.

I think it was more that Talbot has a quick chest.

70. Woodguy v2.0 says:

delooper:
    Woodguy?No, I haven’t heard from him in a while.

Well done.

71. JDI Хоккей says:

Cam Talbot knows how much a baby monkey weighs.

72. N64 says:

fuzzy muppet:
    SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

Perfect. Ducks lost the first 2 after the regular exhibition games AND the first 2 after the playoff exhibition games. 😉

h/t to LT for cracking that this series was the start of the Ducks real playoff season.

73. N64 says:

Roughneck:
    Yak Efron,

They may need to prepare their summer homes.

Saves them traveling back to Anaheim after game 4.

74. N64 says:

striatic: Weird. The Stanley Cup Playoffs aren’t the time for a corporate retreat.

But what do I know, maybe it is just what they need to turn things around.

75. N64 says:

Pescador: LinkedIn
    Napoli fans disrupt Madrid’s sleep
    By Football Espana staff

Ducks stay in the city, this is what the oiler fans are capable of. Hilarious

They are in Alberta tonight. That should be fun. For the fans that could not get tickets.to last night’s watch party can we schedule a reshowing at their hotel ?

76. Jethro Tull says:

N64: You’d think they would have picked a place that makes them happier … Calgary. Less travel too.

77. N64 says:

Jethro Tull: Actually, it’s supposed to be some sort of ironic insult that players don’t want to go to Edmonton, even in the playoffs. It insinuates that it’s still the middle of winter and if a team from California deigns to journey north, then they will not stay in Edmonton. Or something.

78. N64 says:

fuzzy muppet:
    SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

Not to worry Ducks fans. That losing streak only lasted 4 games.

Update: they also had three 3 game loss steaks. The longest was the 4 opening games.

79. Chachi says:

Well, if teams want to put in an extra travel day or two before they play the Oilers because they would rather hang out in Kelowna for a day that is fine by me.

80. Jethro Tull says:

N64: Good move. Cuz it’s 11 and sunny in Edmonton Monday. Whereas in Kelowna the temps soar to 11 and rainy.

The real reason is that they checked on the barrista, charcuterie and crowd funded, organic dolphin friendly produce market ratio and found Edmonton sadly lacking. Now, where’s that kid with my latte?

81. StixMalone says:

No that’s not true. The teams don’t stay here because of the insane fan support we show to our team. The coaches don’t want to let the players be inundated with all the Oilers flags, jerseys, and media support being bombarded down their throats literally slapping them in their faces

Hope it backfires cause I know some Oilers have homes in Kelowna and there are a lot fans in Kelowna.

Losing 2-0 they gotta try and do something.

Ryan Gets A Laff has gotta be tired. Refs better start calling his BS clutch and grab infractions cause he’s gonna keep doing it more now.

Oilers were not good in game. Squeezed out a win while flirting with disaster playing a defensive rope a dope game struggling to exit their zone and issues with possession.

Another learning lesson let’s regroup and kick ass next game. Time to learn how to put down Quackers like hunters in fall……

82. N64 says:

delooper:

Or greet them at the Kelowna airport with a You can fly but you can’t hide banner.

83. Jethro Tull says:

StixMalone,

You think it’s different in Toronto or Montreal? They deal with this all their lives, it doesn’t phase them. This is Randy playing head games.

84. Philosophil says:

Speaking of wives actually watching playoff games – my wife is also paying attention to the playoffs, but people watches during the games. Last nigh she asked me who was the older blonde lady sitting beside Wayne Gretzky at the game.

Surely someone at the LT blog would know? My guesses were Bob Nicholson’s wife or maybe Susan Darrington, (cause it ain’t Janet) but i’m wrong on both accounts.

85. StixMalone says:

Jethro Tull:
    StixMalone,

With who? It doesn’t matter to us if they stay here or in Kelowna. Head games with his team? That would be Carlyle…….

« Older Comments