DRAFT LOTTERY? WHAT DRAFT LOTTERY?

There were times over the last seven years where the highlight of the season for Edmonton fans was the draft lottery. This year? Not so much. There is some question about where Edmonton will select in the first round, and it has a lot to do with how far they go in the playoffs.

These are the odds for each team, I’m hoping Vegas wins the whole damn thing and drafts No. 1 overall. Here are my 31 best players in the draft:

LOWETIDE’S FIRST ROUND RANKINGS, 2017

1. RC Nolan Patrick, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL). A complete talent but not an elite one.
  2. L Nico Hischier, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL). A more dynamic offensive player than Patrick.
  3. R Owen Tippett, Mississauga Steelheads (OHL). He covers 3 important categories (size, speed, sniper).
  4. L Elias Pettersson, Timra (Swe-1). Impressive talent, very skilled.
  5. RD Timothy Liljegren, Rogle (Swe Jr). He is a mobile 2-way D with impressive skill.
  6. LC Casey Mittelstadt, Green Bay Gamblers (USHL). Speed and skill, NHLE.
  7. RD Cale Makar, Brooks Bandits (AJHL). Fast, exceptional puck-moving acumen.
  8. RC Cody Glass, Portland Winterhawks (WHL). Complete skill set(NHLE: 30).
  9. RC Gabriel Vilardi, Windsor Spitfires (OHL). Creative C with size, NHLE (33).
  10. L Eeli Tolvanen, Sioux City Musketeers (USHL). Plus skater, NHL shot and release.
  11. R Kailer Yamamoto, Spokane Chiefs (WHL). Smart, elusive, offensive.
  12. LD Juuso Valimaki, Tri-City Americans (WHL). A big two-way D, smart, creative.
  13. RC Nick Suzuki, Owen Sound Attack (OHL).  Skill and creativity, a little one dimensional.
  14. RC Robert Thomas, London Knights (OHL). Speedy forward, creative.
  15. LC Lias Andersson, Linkoping (SHL). Throwback 2-way C, aggressive, quick. 5.11, 200.
  16. RC Martin Necas, Brno (Czech). High speed skill W, just 5.11.
  17. C Michael Rasmussem, Tri-City Americans (WHL). Big C, physical, good skater.
  18. LD Nicholas Hague, Mississauga Steelheads (OHL). Rangy, aggressive, emerging offense.
  19. R Kole Lind, Kelowna Rockets (WHL). Speedy W with skill. Good Oil option.
  20. R Klim Kostin, Balashikha (MHL). Giant winger, good offense. Injured.
  21. LC Alexei Lipanov, Dyanmo Balashikha (VHL). Impressive 2-way resume.
  22. L Kristian Vesalainen, Frolunda (SHL). Big W, skilled, strong, can play L or R.
  23. RD Conor Timmins, SSE Greyhounds (OHL). Smart, reads plays well, excellent passer.
  24. LD Miro Heiskanen, HIFK (Sm-Liiga). Puck-mover, excellent vision and speed.
  25. LC Ryan Poehling, St. Cloude State (NCAA). Big skill C with an offensive reputation.
  26. RC Morgan Geekie, Tri-City Americans (WHL). C w/2-way rep and emerging offense.
  27. RC Ivan Lodnia, Erie Otters (OHL). Small skill C, great skater.
  28. LC Joshua Norris, USNDTP (USHL). Two-way C showing good offense.
  29. RD Cal Foote, Kelowna Rockets (WHL). Huge D, awkward skater, good passer, tough.
  30. L Matthew Strome, Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL). Strong 2-way W, offensive potential.
  31. C Mason Shaw, Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL). Small skill C, terrific skills.

THE OILERS AT THE DRAFT TABLE

• First Round: No. 24 overall
  • Third Round: No. 84 overall (FROM ST. LOUIS—this is payment for Nail Yakupov)
  • Third Round: No. 86 overall
  • Fourth Round: No. 117 overall
  • Fifth Round: No. 126 overall (FROM Vancouver—this is payment for Phil Larsen)
  • Fifth Round: No. 148 overall
  • Sixth Round: No. 179 overall
  • Seventh Round: No. 210 overall

One of the cool things to follow is Edmonton’s second-round selection this year. Lost to an NHL ransom rule in 2015 spring, it now belongs to Boston in payment for Peter Chiarelli—fired by the Bruins days before being hired by the Oilers.

So, fans may take some delight in the possible implications of the current playoff run. Edmonton’s pick currently stands at No. 55 overall, but a victory over Anaheim puts that pick anywhere from No. 59 to No. 62. If you are interested in reading more about my draft rankings, my complete list is here.

101 Responses to "DRAFT LOTTERY? WHAT DRAFT LOTTERY?"

1. slopitch says:

Still think we are picking 24 eh?!? I’ll let it be.

Is Cal Foote the kid of Adam? I wouldn’t mind a 2013 trade down type draft. Give the team a few more bullets.

2. Rondo says:

C Michael Rasmussen

“Tri-Cities Americans’ coach Mike Williamson took some time after his team was eliminated from the WHL playoffs to discuss his five most coveted NHL draft-eligible prospects.

Michael Rasmussen – “I think the sky’s the limit. Character and work and focus and determination are off the charts. He’s got a 6-5 body and he skates extremely well..he’s a powerful skater and he’s got the good shot and better hands than people realize. He’s got a really good nose for the net…he’s learned to go to the net he’s around there all the time. He’s got great eye-hand coordination with his stick…he can get his stick all over pucks. He showed a big improvement on his little in-tight plays.

“I think the biggest question I got was whether he’s a center or a winger at the NHL level. I don’t know the answer to that..I said I think he would be valuable at both…I know he played well at the Prospects game on the wing, but he’s just so valuable for us in the middle..the big centerman that can move and cover the ice..but I think he’s smart enough and has the tools to be a really good winger as well.

“He’s going to have a long, long career. There are other guys going to get drafted either before that may have some more splash and dash with some stats, but I think that there’s so many things that he’ll do…his off-the-puck battles and being a playoff-type player…I think he can be a very valuable guy to a team for a long, long time.
    “Honestly I think I was guilty of playing too much in the first half. I played him way more than I wanted to…we were coming off a year where we missed the playoffs, so it was very important that we had a good start…and we had some injuries and such with some older guys. The first 20 or more games he was playing 23-24 minute some nights…which is way too much for anyone, especially since he was usually the first in on the forecheck an the first back to play low, so he was more more effective when I was able to give him less minutes…but his play without the puck, his defensive game is something he will continue to work on, but he was able to play against 19 and 20-year-olds most nights. I think there room for growth there.
    “A lot of guys didn’t see it (his great shot) as a lot of his goals are right in the crease and stuff..but he can score some goals when he had a little bit of time with the puck on the rush…his release is really good…underrated. He’s also got a mean streak that people haven’t really seen a lot of yet. At 16 it’s tough to play rugged against guys who are two and three years older…we started to see it more this year, it’s something he’s always has when he’s played against his own age group. I think we’ll see that more and more too as he matures.
    Those injuries take time..all the tests and imaging he’s had shows that it’s progressing and that he won’t need surgery. It’s important for him to give it some time to heal, and I don’t think it will be a problem. He definitely played for a while with it. He’s never really been hurt before.”

3. Diablo says:

I think Vancouver will win it – in a year when there is no consensus number 1. Whoever they pick will jump straight to the NHL next year, when pretty much every prospect expert thinks that he needs another year of seasoning in junior. After they thoroughly screw up his development, he’ll end top out as a decent 2nd/3rd line centre.

Throughout that player’s career, the Dys will be a mediocre team – not good enough to be contender and not bad enough to again draft low enough to get a legit franchise player.

Las Vegas will win next year and select Rasmus Dahlen #1.

4. Centre of attention says:

I hope New Jersey wins it and Hall can be Nolan’s gunner for the next few years. He would be an awesome mentor, and I’m not trying to throw shade by saying this but he’s seen this story before and he knows what its like being a 1st overall coming into a not-so-good situation. He even mentored McDavid in his first year, who had nothing but good things to say about Taylor.

I also think NJ would benefit the most from getting that all-situations RHC at the top of the draft, they don’t really need another explosive scoring winger because they have Hall and possibly Kovalchuk as well. (theres a good chance he signs a 1 year deal in NJ to have a shot at FA next summer)

It would be awesome to see them make a rapid turn around kind of like the Oilers and have Hall taste some success. Also my preference an eastern conference team wins it rather than a divisional rival in Vegas.

5. Ribs says:

McPhee doesn’t make it to the lottery, haha. Starting to wonder if anything will go as planned for these guys.

Ribs:

This is how the Oakland Seals started, Ottawa Senators too.

7. Lucinius says:

Haha; poor Vancouver and Colorado. Slide back three spots.

Hoping Dallas gets the third pick, Philly the second and Devils the first.

8. JDI Хоккей says:

Worst team in the league bumped to #4? Is that what I just saw?

9. Lucinius says:

JDI Хоккей,

Glorious, isn’t it? Oilers still making teams suffer.

I had thought Buffalo had a shot at winning just from sheer karma.

10. treevojo says:

Maybe Taylor hall is the lucky charm

11. JDI Хоккей says:

Lucinius: Glorious, isn’t it?

And the Nucks bumped back two spots.

12. treevojo says:

Lol

13. JDI Хоккей says:

Lucinius: Hoping Dallas gets the third pick, Philly the second and Devils the first.

You!

14. Chachi says:

Taylor Hall was the lucky charm all along.

15. Rake 2.0 says:

Oilers better than Vancouver at hockey and draft lotteries.

16. Chachi says:

treevojo:
    Maybe Taylor hall is the lucky charm

Crazy

17. Lucinius says:

JDI Хоккей: And the Nucks bumped back two spots.

Three spots actually. Devils, Flyers and Stars bump them. Hilarious.

18. Android says:

Centre of attention:

You heard it here first folks…

19. flyfish1168 says:

Chachi:
    Taylor Hall was the lucky charm all along.

Taylor is going have another player to Mentor.

20. Chachi says:

JDI Хоккей:
    Worst team in the league bumped to #4? Is that what I just saw?

Sakic looked like he just got his hand stuck in a snow blower.

21. russ99 says:

That was crazy, never saw so many teams leap up.

The league didn’t want Vegas to draft so high?

22. D says:

So Taylor Hall is the good luck charm for winning the draft lottery.

23. Chachi says:

Rake 2.0:
    Oilers better than Vancouver at hockey and draft lotteries.

Take THAT Ben Eager!

24. Lucinius says:

JDI Хоккей: You!

Only way it could have gone better for the Oilers was another Eastern team winning the third spot and Dallas getting nothing, but I’ll take this, given that Dallas is in another division and deeply flawed.

Good for the Devils; still dislike the organisation (I will never forgive them for a certain brand of hockey), but Hall deserves good players to play with.

25. JDI Хоккей says:

russ99: The league didn’t want Vegas to draft so high?

When Pouliot is your 1LW, you don’t need a top draft pick.

26. JDI Хоккей says:

Hilarious that Larsson was the Devils’ last lotto winning draft pick.

27. russ99 says:

JDI Хоккей: When Pouliot is your 1LW, you don’t need a top draft pick.

Lol!!!

Chachi: Take THAT Ben Eager!

Breaking: NJD sign Kirill Tulupov!

29. treevojo says:

Chachi: Crazy

30. blainer says:

Man that was one crazy lottery. Thank gord that never happened with CMD..

31. N64 says:

platinum seat ghosts @3rdPeriodSuits
    You can look at the trade as Taylor Hall and the 1st overall pick for Adam Larsson

/ducks

Good work, Mr. Lottery Magnet!

32. Centre of attention says:

I called it and got exactly what I wanted.

I wonder how picking 6th will effect Vegas’s plan. Maybe more aggresive at the draft now in an effort to aquire young talent under long term control? Interesting to see how this plays out.

33. Diablo says:

Lol that is the best result ever!
    Very happy for Hall and the NJ Devils.

Top 2 picks go out east.
    Both of our division rivals get screwed.
    I bet Patty Roy is laughing his ass off.

Ha! Vancouver.

34. N64 says:

treevojo: With Taylor’s luck New Jersey won’t draft a genrational player until the last year of his contract and Shero will trade him at the deadline for a defenseman to balance the team.

It’s like Billy Halleck who runs over the gypsy in Thinner. At first the curse to keep winning the lottery looks like a great deal.

35. flyfish1168 says:

I think teams that tank will try and trade for Taylor. he is the lucky rabbit’s foot.

36. StixMalone says:

Did I miss something today? Seriously I totally missed it! Any place I can get a replay?……

37. Diablo says:

N64: It’s like Billy Hacker in Thinner. At first the curse to keep winning the lottery looks like a great deal.

With the number 1 overall pick this year + Taylor Hall and Corey Schneider, NJ may have become a more attractive destination for Shattenkirk.

38. Rondo says:

NJ–Hischier

Philly–Patrick

Dall- Hèiskanèn

39. Lucinius says:

Diablo,

Why do you hate Hall?

Shattenkirk isn’t someone you want to sign, imo. Way too much money for a guy who only sorta does one thing well (powerplay). As seen in Washington he’s actually made their defence worse.

40. Diablo says:

Lucinius:
    Diablo,

Why do you hate Hall?

Sometimes the fit just isn’t right, and guys who come into a team at the trade deadline never find their stride with their new team.

Shattenkirk’s had a pretty good career, and he’s the prototypical puck moving D-man in todays game. They badly need a RHD who can play top 4 minutes, and he’s the best (and perhaps only one) available. And by all reports he wants to live in the NY area. Neither NYR or NYI can fit him under the cap.

And that one thing he does well – he does it really, really well.

41. StixMalone says:

Just watched a replay on Sportsnet. That was different! Not being involved this year is kinda nice! Don’t miss it at all……

42. Lucinius says:

Diablo,

Yeah, you’re right that fit can be important. However, I’m just not impressed with Shattenkirk and I wasn’t when he was in St. Louis, either. Imo, he’s a fair bit over-rated. The guy is mostly a powerplay specialist and a middling d-man.

Washington grabbing him was baffling, considering their powerplay had no real need for him.

43. LadiesloveSmid says:

Good for Hallsy.

Hopefully NJ can bring in Kovalchuk and maybe even Shattenkirk.

44. Oil2Oilers says:

I would happily trade this years 1st, a D prospect (Caleb Jones) and the negotiating rights for Russell to save Tanev from Vancouver.

Oilers would have a win now D core for the next 3 years.

45. VOR says:

Wow, weird draft lottery.

Not what I wanted to post about, however. For fun I went and redrafted every year (looked at who got picked at each of LT’s expected draft picks) from 1979 to 2014 and while more recent drafts are far from certain in those 35 years as of this writing there were only 19 impact NHL players drafted at positions 24, 84,86, 117, 126, 148, 179, 210 combined. So in 280 NHL draft picks over 35 years only 19 impact players were taken at these draft positions in the NHL draft.

Easily the best NHL player drafted was Brett Hull at 117 in 1984. Probably the next best player is Henrik Zetterberg at 210 in 1999. In other words if LT did a reasonable expectation post for this upcoming draft it would likely range from diddly squat to the equivalent of one average NHL player. The Oilers scouting staff is going to have to really exceed expectations for the Oilers to use this draft to restock their forward prospect pool. Bluntly, they need to pull a Zetterberg from this draft. Brett Hull would be even better, Connor meet the greatest volume shooter of all time.

46. Diablo says:

VOR,

Speaks to the value of the pick – if we could get a good RHD or 3C from Vegas, and they agreed to take Pouliot in expansion, I’d move the 1st this year.

47. dustrock says:

Crappy draft year. Where would Patrick go in previous years?

Well Nucks fans, get ready for more ineptitude. Wonder what Sedins are thinking.

48. Diablo says:

Oil2Oilers:

Oilers would have a win now D core for the next 3 years.

So would I in a heart beat

49. Lloyd B. says:

dustrock:
    Crappy draft year.Where would Patrick go in previous years?

I had the opportunity to watch the Wheaties for two seasons when I was working in Brandon.

Missed this year as I am back in Edmonton. Patrick also missed this year. 🙂

I wrote a brief “eyes only” review of Patrick here in his draft minus one junior year. I have no idea how to find it to quote it.

The kid can play. Always stood out as a younger player. On a great team, he always caught my attention.

I have absolutely no qualifications to judge these young players other than “seen him good” at that level. Saw him very good.

I would suggest Patrick is in the RNH sphere.

I do have a caveat though.

I thought Povorovs partner, Pilon, was the better of the two on that pairing.

Pilon was drafted (2nd round I think) and promptly quit hockey. Povorov has soared.

50. Offside says:

I wonder if the hockey gords are planning a McDavid vs Crosby final. If so, it might be for the purpose of teaching McDavids Oilers the same lessons Gretzky’s Oilers needed to learn before they could win the Cup

51. Woogie63 says:

Is Arizona going to be better? Ekman-Larsso at $5.5M might be a huge chip than can be played now vs. his UFA Year.

52. Seismic Source says:

Pitts-Wash just played half a period with a second puck on the ice. I was cheering for the second puck.

53. Chachi says:

Book it!

54. raventalon40 says:

VOR:
    Wow, weird draft lottery.

Yakupov, what a wasted talent… 🙁

Too bad he could never make it stick in the NHL. That kid was always so excited to play hockey.

55. blainer says:

Offside:

We have come a long way folks !!

56. Chachi says:

Lowetide: Breaking: NJD sign Kirill Tulupov!

Ha! The Tulip has to be Hughson’s favourite player of all time!

57. Pouzar says:

Outside of Justin Orr who the fuck plays D for the Pens?
    How are they doing this?

58. Pouzar says:

blainer: Edmonton is now favored to win the the cup in Vegas at 3/1 odds … Pitts is second with odds at 7/2..

That is Bonkers. I love it. But Bonkers.

59. blainer says:

Pouzar:
    Outside of Justin Orr who the fuck plays D for the Pens?
    How are they doing this?

Goaltending?

60. Ribs says:

Pouzar:
    Outside of Justin Orr who the fuck plays D for the Pens?
    How are they doing this?

Crosby, by the looks of things.

61. spoiler says:

Centre of attention:

If the Devils throw Patrick to the wolves like this, they truly will be the 2010 Oilers.

62. Chachi says:

Diablo:
    VOR,

Me too.

63. blainer says:

Pouzar: That is Bonkers. I love it. But Bonkers.

LOL.. I guess my prediction of us winning the cup is not so crazy after all..

64. Offside says:

blainer,

Yep. That combined with the Pittsburgh game made me think of it. What were the odds at the beginning of the season? 75-1?

65. Ribs says:

Offside:

Apparently Gretzky has been attending every game and practice so maybe they can get ahead of that curve.

66. geowal says:

theDjdj:

I still miss him

Peter Chiarelli @FakeOilersGM
    Replying to @hallsy09
    why didn’t you tell me about your powers??

67. blainer says:

Offside:
    blainer,

I knew I should have made the bet then. I really believed we had a great shot at winning the cup even in September. I didn’t say too much about it because people would just think I was crazy.

Now .. I really don’t mind saying it.

We are winning the Cup !!

68. Lloyd B. says:

blainer: LOL.. I guess my prediction of us winning the cup is not so crazy after all..

Oh it’s crazy. But I love me some crazy !!

69. Pouzar says:

I will be sending you many beers back to Gord’s country!

70. blainer says:

Excellent.. can never have too many beer in these parts..

For some crazy reason they just don’t reach their expiration date around here..

71. blainer says:

I wonder If Ottawa has it in them to get through the east.They have quite the Gem there in Karlsson.

I wouldn’t mind an Ottawa Oil final either.

But CMD against Crosby would be something to see too. Would also be fun to read along on the comments about Jultz. What a turn of events that will be.

Did not see that coming. Thought he would be washed up by now. That is one player who made the most of his second chance.

72. Chachi says:

Trotz’s eyebrows are twitching out of control!

73. Pouzar says:

blainer: For some crazy reason they just don’t reach their expiration date around here..

Amazing how that works. 🙂

74. Duane Hewitt says:

Offside:
    blainer,

I put a sneaky $10 on them after the good start in October at 41-1.

75. Ribs says:

Chachi:
    Trotz’s eyebrows are twitching out of control!

That was a gif in the making right there. What the heck was that about?

76. Chachi says:

Ribs: That was a gif in the making right there. What the heck was that about?

It was a magnificent sight to behold.

77. Whatif says:

With the results of this years draft lottery a strange draft record has been set that may never be equalled.

Since 2010 Taylor Hall has been on the team drafting first overall 5 times. He was with Edmonton in 2010, 20111, 2012, 2015 and now 2017 with the Devils. What is even stranger, he has not played a single playoff game in all that time.

Strange how things work out.

78. Offside says:

Whatif,

He was the 1st overall in 2010 though, wasn’t he? But I agree, that’s a unfortunate series of events

79. Offside says:

Ribs,

Winning before ELC’s expire? Sweet!

80. unca miltie says:

blainer,

oilers have a few games to win first. Sadly, I still expect the Anaheim series to be tough and Nashville is playing well.

81. Offside says:

Duane Hewitt,

As far as 41-1 bets go, that was an astute one

82. OF17 says:

blainer:

I wouldn’t mind an Ottawa Oil final either.

But CMD against Crosby would be something to see too.Would also be fun to read along on the comments about Jultz. What a turn of events that will be.

83. Zelepukin says:

OF17: Jultz is a player I am still very fine with not having. From what I can tell, his Pittsburgh performances have been less about reinventing the wheel and more about getting nearly ideal deployment to maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. He still has the same fundamental flaws he had in Edmonton, he just now has the offensive production to get paid handsomely. I’d much rather spend our cap dollars on another Klefbom/Sekera/Larsson than spend them on Schultz.

84. Stelio Kontos says:

I’d be shocked if this series doesn’t go to at least game six. I feel like we are way too high right now. Hopefully the players don’t feel the same as the fans.

Pouzar:
    Outside of Justin Orr who the fuck plays D for the Pens?
    How are they doing this?

No Russell Resets. Play fast. Play fast out of your own end, even if it means placing the puck to space, and then beat your opponent to the puck. Play rush offense. They can play an elite rush driver on three lines. The system matches the abilities of the players.

86. Glass says:

NJ could actually make a quick turn around if they signed Shattenkirk and brought Kovalchuk back.

87. OF17 says:

Zelepukin: Agreed. I’ve watched a handful of Pens games this year and he still very much Jultzs defensively on the regular. The three major factors that somewhat disguise his Jultzing is 2nd-3rd pair deployment, Crosby defensively covering his ass down low and playing 1st PP where your job is to pass to either Malkin, Kessel or Crosby for one-timers. Easily the best PP-point generating position in all of the league.

The crazy part is he’s probably going to get paid for it too. These playoffs have made me appreciate even more the type of defenseman Chiarelli enjoys. Well-rounded, no real weaknesses, not flashy, and effective against good opposition. Sekera, Larsson, Benning, even Russell to an extent. Those players are so much more important in the playoffs, when opposition is better, penalties are scarcer, and mistakes are magnified. Jultz’s game is less important for the same reasons.

We saw this in the first round of course. Burns may be the $8 Million Man, but Vlasic was the one carrying that defense for half the price. I’d rather add another shelterer than add to the sheltered.

Anaheim has played the Oilers even or dominated the Oilers in every game this season and have 2 wins and 5 losses. Talbot has won two or three of the games dominated by the Ducks. Fortunately the goaltender is part of the team.

It is Foreman against Ali, and the rope-a-dope is working.

The OIlers have gotten the saves and the bounces against the Ducks this year. One has to be good to be lucky, which essentially means that one has to be good enough so the natural variance in hockey is greater than the actual difference in quality between the two teams, so the result of the series ends up being determined by “chance”.

89. Pouzar says:

godot10: No Russell Resets.Play fast.Play fast out of your own end, even if it means placing the puck to space, and then beat your opponent to the puck.Play rush offense.They can play an elite rush driver on three lines. The system matches the abilities of the players.

Thanks. Makes sense. I haven’t watched much hockey thus far outside of Oilers run.

90. Little Poteet says:

If the good guys win the Cup this year Ron McLean should be heralded as a prophet. He called a win within a couple years of the McDavid draft

91. Stelio Kontos says:

Little Poteet:

There are religions founded on stupider prophecies.

92. Younger Oil says:

On another note:

Just got a chance to watch the PIT-WAS highlights.

Take a look at the delayed penalty on the 2-1 goal.

McDavid deals with that shit every single time he touches the puck. Sometimes when he doesn’t.

Once McDavid becomes a veteran and the Oilers get the respect of the refs, he will be unstoppable.

93. Bank Shot says:

It felt so good not caring about the draft lottery tonight. 🙂

94. JDI Хоккей says:

Bank Shot,

Other than, “Not Vancouver… Not Vancouver… Not Vancouver… Not Vancouver…”

95. spoiler says:

JDI Хоккей:
    Bank Shot,

Other than, “Not Vancouver… Not Vancouver… Not Vancouver… Not Vancouver…”

96. danny says:

The only team I was actively hoping to avoid in rd1 via seeding was Nashville. Teams with D like that creating offense and a hot goaler, plus one of the best lines in hockey are tough to beat. So I was not surprised at the Chicago win. I was disappointed because I think Edmonton matched up better against Chi.

If Edmonton gets through to face them next round, it’s gonna be tough.

97. northof51 says:

godot10,

Please don’t forget about the April 1st game where the Oil carried the play, with a 60% xGF.

Oil also had 54% xGF on March 23, 57% on December 3, and a 61% xGF on November 15.

Just wanted to post this to show that the Oilers have dominated the Ducks this year in some games. The November 15th game, where the Oilers deserved to win by all accounts, was lost 4-1 to these Ducks.

98. Diablo says:

I recommend everyone go and read the article on Sportsnet by Mike Johnston about how the lottery draft is actually conducted – very insightful.

4 lottery balls are drawn for draft position 1, 2 and 3, each of which corresponds to a 4 digit code previously assigned to a team.

All of the team representatives are present for the drawing.

What we see on TV is simply manufactured drama – the results are known to the men sitting there well ahead of time.

Pretty hard to rig a system like – makes me even more appreciative to the Hockey Gods who gifted us with McDavid (and Taylor Hall’s mojo of course).

99. N64 says:

Diablo: What we see on TV is simply manufactured drama – the results are known to the men sitting there well ahead of time

They better not. The guys who watched the actual draw are still in the lockup. 😉