ZUMA BEACH

I knew it would be that kind of game, but didn’t think these Oilers would win it. The Anaheim Ducks bring their own special brand of hell, kind of like Jack Nicholson in The Shining. You just pray you don’t end up like Scatman Crothers and it would be nice if Jack Torrance doesn’t get out of the hedge maze. The Oilers entered the fray, and won the dance! Music!

ASCOT’S FOR TALBOT!

• Through 20: 1-0 EDM, shots ANA 12-3 and Corsi for 5×5 was 18-8 ANA.
  • Second 20: 1-1 tie, shots ANA 12-9 and Corsi for 5×5 was 21-14 ANA.
  • Final 20: 0-0 tie, shots 16-11 ANA and Corsi for 5×5 was 24-12 ANA.
  • Final: 2-1 EDM, shots 40-23 ANA and Corsi for 5×5 was 63-34 ANA.

The Oilers won this game on guile, Talbot, hard work, positioning and 25 miles of blind luck. Do not look this gift horse in the mouth, and it is safe to say the Anaheim Ducks are going to have a helluva time getting back to even in this series. What a victory!

DEFENSE LAST NIGHT

• Nurse-Benning went 11-17 in 12:07 together, 4-2 with McDavid and 2-7 with Desharnais and Letestu. Nurse went 2-9 against Getzlaf, and tried the Savardian spinarama too close to the boards and against same Getzlaf. He took a lot of heat for the penalty, but that happens. The pairing survived without giving up an even-strength goal, and that kind of experience should help the future. These young men are getting valuable experience.
  • Sekera-Russell went 10-19 in 14:34 together, including 4-8 with the McDavid line. Went 3-9 against Rakell-Getzlaf-Eaves, that line is diabolical. The pairing did move the puck up, but struggled for long periods. Bend but don’t break is kind of the motto of this pairing, I find it difficult to endure some of the struggles. Massive goal by Sekera, he also plays defense damn well sans stick.
  • Klefbom-Larsson went 10-23 in 15:12 together, they played forever. Went 3-12 with Nuge and 6-11 with McDavid. Went 3-16 against Rakell-Getzlaf-Eaves, that’s getting fed no way around it. Went 3-7 against Perry, not sure what line he was on. For the first time in the playoffs, this pairing had a difficult time calming the waters. Credit the Getzlaf line, as the Swedish duo went 7-7 away from the big line. Larsson made his usual subtle defensive plays, including some nice work on the PK.
  • Cam Talbot stopped 39 of 40, .975. There can be no doubt about the most important player in last night’s win. Lordy. He is .934 in the playoffs and I would suggest Edmonton’s current Conn Smythe leader.
  • Numbers via NHL.com, HockeyStats.ca and NaturalStatTrick.

MCDAVID LINE

• McDavid was flying last night, especially during the first two periods. I thought he might have gotten an assist on the first goal, but it went without one. Definitely recovered from flu, or whatever it was that was impacting performance.
  • Leon received a lot of attention and very little air. Had a couple of giveaways and contributed to some good looks on the 5×4, and showed that wild chem with 97 that has done so much for the Oilers this season.
  • Maroon scored the winning goal, he is the best forward on the team at getting to the front of the net. He could have cashed a couple of 97 passes to boot!
  • The Maroon 5 assault rivaled the Getzlaf mugging as the most ridiculous non-call of the evening, in what was an epic throwback game by the Ducks. I think we were about two degrees away from Ed Whalen showing up to scream “he brings out a foreign object!” on that Maroon play.
  • Went 7-9 against Lindholm, who covered him like a blanket (and should have been penalized a time or two) and 8-10 against Cogliano-Kesler-Silfverberg. The Ducks are fortunate Edmonton didn’t score more than once at the 5×5 with McDavid out there.
  • Getzlaf not getting a penalty for the blatant interference against McDavid was insane.

NUGE LINE

• Nuge’s play at the blue line on the GWG was a big play, and he made a lot more. Effective on the PK too. Skated miles, had an effective night despite chasing the play.
  • Eberle’s assist on the same goal showed high skill. I mentioned the other day that Eberle needed to find a way to insert himself into the series, and a PP goal that wins it is a very good solution.
  • Lucic had a moment of terror late when he turned over the puck at the opposition blue, but Klefbom saved him. Almost scored an EN  goal late.
  • Line went 4-16 against Rakell-Getzlaf-Eaves, how that line didn’t score is Talbot. Went 1-7 against Lindholm-Manson.

LETESTU LINE

• Letestu-Kassian went 6-13 and Pouliot (3-9) chimed in after the Caggiula (1-3) injury.
  • Kassian scored but it was called back because of course it was. There were three options for the zebra’s: goal, no goal and no penalty, and no goal with penalty. I knew before they called it, not based on the play (second option correct call) but based on the established level of criminal activity for both teams.
  • Went 6-9 against Shaw-Vermette-Perry, that’s a good result for this line.
  • With Caggiula possibly out for Game 3, Pouliot moving up may be the best option. Who draws in on the 4line? Options include Iiro Pakarinen, Matt Hendricks, Anton Lander and Jujhar Khaira.

DESHARNAIS LINE

• Desharnais-Slepyshev went 6-9 and played sparingly after the Caggiula injury.
  • Went 2-7 with Nurse-Benning in three minutes, that’s a set Todd McLellan may want to avoid in the coming days.
  • Desharnais went 1-8 against Getzlaf and 0-10 against Lindholm.
  • Both men performed well in difficult circumstances, which involved sitting for long periods between shifts.
  • Pouliot drew a power play with hard work late.

SUNDAY 5PM START

There are times during the week (Tuesday) when the Oilers are not traditionally strong, and Sunday afternoon starts are the Bermuda triangle. This club has surprised me a lot this season, a win in Game 3, in this time slot, will be another mission accomplished.

STRAIGHT TALK

At this point, I’m not absolutely certain we can point to a mountain this team can’t climb on the way to the SCF. The Oilers have received fantastic goaltending, are (as shown above) getting good results inside the most attractive scoring zones, and are running luck (and that is a big part of winning pennants, too).

JESSE PULJUJARVI

I have been paying attention to JP’s verbal since the end of the season, and Finnish media is cooperating (although Google translate trolls me hard). It sounds like it was a difficult season and a period of transition for him, hockey and culture. Young man will be back in the fall and we will see him next week at the WHC’s.

FILTHY

By the time this Anaheim series is complete (and it isn’t over yet), we’ll have more evidence to use against the Anaheim Ducks. Whatever the line in the sand might be, Anaheim drove past that and kept on going all night long. Guess what? Doesn’t matter. The NHL likes this kind of playoff hockey and is not going to change the rules for you. If Connor McDavid is going to lead this team to the promised land, he is going to have to pay far more than is reasonable in order to do it. I went through the same experience as a kid, watching Bobby Orr take a tremendous beating (and shortening his career). It’s the wild west, on ice, same as it ever was.

175 Responses to "ZUMA BEACH"

1. Philosophil says:

(posted in last thread, apologies for repost, but inquiring female minds want to know…)

Speaking of wives actually watching playoff games – my wife is also paying attention to the playoffs, but people watches during the games. Last nigh she asked me who was the blonde lady sitting beside Wayne Gretzky at the game.
    Surely someone at the LT blog would know? My guesses were Bob Nicholson’s wife or maybe Susan Darrington, (cause it ain’t Janet) but i’m wrong on both accounts.

2. Jethro Tull says:

The Bobby Orr comparison is a good one. If Da Vinci were alive today, Bill would hold him down while Gary stamped on his hands.

In many sports, grabbing the neck/throat is instant game dismissal. That could have Bertuzzi’d easier than anyone thinks. And for what? So Randy can say that they’re wearing us down with physical play, or the NHL can sell tickets to Dart Guy?

3. HT Joe says:

Lowetide, great write-up! But if I may make two minor adjustments….

By the time this Anaheim series is complete (and it isn’t over yet), we’ll have more evidence to use against the refs and the NHL in general. Whatever the line in the sand might be, the refs ignored it and kept on going all night long.

*EDIT* If the refs simply call this shit, the Ducks would stop getting worse pretty quickly.

4. neojanus says:

Yeah. Holy smokes do the Ducks get away with blue murder in terms of penalties… then again, the Oilers get away with blue murder defensively!

There are two versions of the Oilers: the one where they play simply and effectively and the one where they can’t make a pass to save an orphan. The latter version frightens me every night. Benning is the biggest culprit to my eye and I scream at the TV whenever he has the puck.

I don’t want to get ahead of myself, but it is going to be damn near impossible for Anaheim to win this series now. The Oilers won after laying an egg and one suspects that they will be far better next time.

5. Nuclear leak says:

Calling any penalties while not calling the Getzlaf interference boggles the mind, gave Anahiem all the momentum.

6. northof51 says:

Same as it ever was. These playoffs are hell on fans of skill, but as frustrating as it is, LT hit the nail on the head. Sometimes I wonder how on earth the NHL attracted me as a fan. I’m not sure I can answer that this morning. But I know that if I were ever to walk away from the madness, I would feel the shame and scorn of an entire hockey-mad fan base. Cheers to all you crazy buggers – don’t know what I’d do without you!

7. Rondo says:

Oilers need to hire a face-off coach immediately. Whoever has been coaching them has been horrible. They dodged a bullet last night. If Manny Malhotra is available I would hire him this morning.

8. tcho says:

I really wish there was some way to get answers from the refs on some of the calls/non. For example, the Kessler assault of Maroon. Play is dead. Kessler is choking Maroon for 20? 30? Seconds. Ref is on top of the pile, trying to pull Dirtbag off (presumably telling said dirtbag to let go). Did any penalty ideas come to your mind in this situation?

9. leadfarmer says:

Refs letting Getzlaf blatant penalty go and then calling Kassian for a minimal infraction summarizes the reffing first two games.

10. Dustylegnd says:

On the plus side fellas, McDavid is still a kid and seeing him in a T shirt during interviews he has many lbs and much strength to gain over the next 5 years.

Every game the Ducks lose puts Carlyle 1 step closer to extinction as an NHL coach… his day and shitty approach will eventually end

Playing Getzlaf half the game is a joke of a coaching job, its all Carlyle has, keep playing that big bastard every second shift, we will see how Getzlaf feels come game 6 if there is one

The Ducks are much less dominant on the Road then at home….so lets hop e the Oil step on them early and often

Clearly Getzlaf is held to a much lower standard than Pouliot when it comes to penalty infractions, what a joke

The Oil have the ducks doubting themselves…what now boys?…Quack quack quack quack indeed

Grab the 12 gauge fellas remove the plug and blast away

11. Jethro Tull says:

Dustylegnd,

Carlyle already having them practice the flying V.

12. Blackwolf says:

leadfarmer,

Uhm, I’m pretty sure that the nhl desperately wants a California team in for tv ratings. Conspiracy theory maybe, but maybe not.

13. Frank the dog says:

Hey LT, does that writing ability, that wonderful turn of phrase, run in your family? Or did you just happen to be the first to turn the spoken word in your family into this writing style?

Anyway, the Oilers have exceeded all reasonable expectations. Will this be like the early Crosby Penguins, who made lost the finals the first year, and came back to win subsequent, or like the other runners up lime SJS who were bounced out of the first round the following year?

Anyway, the rest of this series is not, in my mind, whether they deserve to have won back a beserk fan base, or whether they are the real deal. It’s that wonderful time when one is so far ahead one is playing with house money. The bills for this month and next and perhaps the one after that are all paid, this has been an amazing season no matter what happens. The ducks are dirty, the refereeing is disgusting, about as fair as a big fat sheriff in a small Louisiana swamp town, and we beat them 2-0 at home. This is a team that is fully capable of running a 4-0 series against the Ducks, and just as capable of losing on Sunday. I regard Sunday as no less difficult to win against an enraged and humiliated bunch of nasty oil soaked fowls and winning 2-0 at home. Yet if Edmonton has become such a hostile place to play in , that they have to fly in from Kelowna and back for the next two games, what does that tell you about how far we have come from the jersey tossing days of old?

Sunday 5 pm may be the toughest game in this series, we have the time of day against us but they have to fly in for the game, then back to Kelowna and back again to Edmonton for the 4th game. Seems like a disadvantage to me, let alone the 7th man on the two home games.
    I believe that despite the refereeing we actually do have a chance, and I am happy with this team whatever happens from here on out.

14. Dustylegnd says:

northof51,

You became a fan because you no doubt grew up in the land of ice and snow playing this beautiful game, I watched the 3rd period of the Nashville St Louis game and it was off the hook good.

Pure hockey Salvation will arrive in the Western final…repeated failure should force the Ducks to eventually modify their behaviour no? or perhaps Carlyle really is insane?

15. Frank the dog says:

What will happen first? Canadian team winning the cup, or a new Commissioner?

16. hunter1909 says:

Back in the 20th century when I was a little kid, hunters in my town used to open up their driver’s side doors and collectively dump thousands of spent shotgun shells on the road.

We’d go through them looking for good shells(gunpowder!) to play with.

Endless streams of mallards etc flying south etc.

Not exactly sure where there’s a parallel with the current NHL series, but for my mind it seems to fit.

17. flea says:

If the Oilers keep playing like that, there is still a pretty good chance they lose this series. If they get spanked again tomorrow (and lose), the ducks will have all sorts of momentum and could tie up this series.

Serious adjustments needed – interested to see what McLellan will do.

18. hunter1909 says:

Frank the dog:
    What will happen first? Canadian team winning the cup, or a new Commissioner?

I seriously doubt if there’s a new commissioner by July 1st.

19. hunter1909 says:

flea: If the Oilers keep playing like that, there is still a pretty good chance they lose this series.

How exactly so? They’ll still be up by a game, and have proven they’re fully capable of forgetting a 7-0 thrashing to go on to win the next playoff game.

Is there a doctor in the house? Another case of oilersfanitis.

20. Diablo says:

Philosophil:

Speaking of wives actually watching playoff games – my wife is also paying attention to the playoffs, but people watches during the games. Last nigh she asked me who was the older blonde lady sitting beside Wayne Gretzky at the game.

Lol I was wondering the same thing – I mean that can’t be Janet, right?

Great game by Talbot – we all knew he was going to have to steal one for the Oilers to come out ahead in this series, and he (and his goalposts) got the job done last night. 2nd star to RNH for sure – he had a sublime game last night.

Faceoffs have to be better next game – the Oilers were losing them clean and could not regain possession in any meaningful way from about the second period on. Clean that up and the possession battle won’t be so lopsided.

If Caggs is out, I’d rather have Slepy move up and get more minutes. Pouliot’s coughs the puck up every damn time he’s in the offensive zone. I have no problem with his work in the D-zone or PK, but any modicum of offensive ability he once had has fallen off a cliff – he provides about as much offence and Lander or Hendricks at this point (or Corey Perry lol).

The game last night was a rodeo gong show. When the Oiler’s committed the slightest of infractions, the refs immediately whistled them down for it. When Anaheim committed egregious fowls, these same referees were hesitant to make any calls. What gives? Even Hughson (who’s not a homer for the Oilers at all) made mention to how the refs were hesitating on some of the calls that were blatantly obvious. Such a ridiculous double standard being demonstrated by the zebras.

And still our boys found a way through all that muck.

With the way Carlyle is riding his first two lines and D pairings, they’re not going to have anything left in the tank to go the distance – I don’t think I’ve ever seen an entire period of playoff hockey played only by 2 lines. Tmac on the other hand has done a good job of consistently rolling all the lines and D-pairings, which should benefit the Oilers as this series goes on.

GoOilers! Clap. Clap. Woot! Woot!

21. Professor Q says:

tcho:

Which is the shitty part. There isn’t.

You talk about it, you get fines. Even the slightest allusion.

The ref basicallly was relaxed leaning in the net while watching Lindholm choke out Maroon. They couldn’t be more obvious about their bias this series so far.

22. Professor Q says:

hunter1909: I seriously doubt if there’s a new commissioner by July 1st.

We have a trade to announce.

23. northof51 says:

Philosophil,

I was assuming that was Janet. I guess I haven’t really seen her in public a lot lately, and figured that the stressful years of raising a rebellious daughter had changed her…

24. JDI Хоккей says:

Professor Q: The ref basicallly was relaxed leaning in the net while watching Lindholm choke out Maroon.

Pretty sure he was checking if Patty’s lips were turning blue yet:

25. JDI Хоккей says:

Watched the third period again this morning. Slep was great.

Now that we’ve got him locked on the roster, how about more TOI than 9 minutes?

26. Pescador says:

northof51:
    Philosophil,

I came for the hockey but I’ll stay for the gossip

27. Dee Dee says:

There is a methodology to the Reffing, and I’m not saying I agree with it, I just understand it.
    And the Ducks understand it too and exploit it to the max.

Every event in the game boils down to either a “scoring event” where the law is applied in full force or “everything else” where the Refs don’t give a shit.

Maroon getting mugged behind the net? Non scoring event.
    Lucic falling on the Duck outside the blue line? Non scoring event.

Russel holds Rakells stick for 2 frames of slow mo. Scoring event. Penalty.

The woman sitting beside Gretz was Janet’s bookie (but my bookie told me that, not sure whether to believe him)

Oh, and I cannot, ever, read anything in a Scandinavian language without using the voice of the Swedish Chef from the muppets.

So I read it as: “Jesse-a Puoljuojärfi oupened up a deeffeecuolt term ouff Ouffeece-a: “Yes zeere-a betvee-a beceme-a muzeer tu meess bork bork bork” “

28. hunter1909 says:

Although ordinarily I’m not suspicious(I’m being an Irish liar here lol), Sekera scoring 1:00 minute into the game proves beyond any reasonable doubt that Getzlaf’s postgame antics vs our Slovakian Mighty Mouse defenseman has 99% karmically decided this series in favor of the good guys.

29. Scungilli Slushy says:

While the Ducks won shot shares which trailing the whole game is expected, they didn’t get much traffic, and seemed to be shooting any time they had a clean look. Lots of pucks just hit Talbot without him doing much, they either lost patience to look for better plays or wait for screens, or don’t respect Talbot enough.

Talbot played well – he was in position and stopped what should – but I didn’t feel he robbed anyone. Still the first star but it’s not like he pulled a Cujo for that win, simply did his job. Connor could have won the game himself if he cashed some of those looks he got.

Carlyle is an odd duck pun intended, I’m not sure he has an answer to McD / Drai. I expect them to try to get into Talbot’s cage, and wouldn’t be surprised to see a shadow again, they can’t let Connor get that many chances and get his mojo going or they are sunk just by him.

Nuge was fantastic again, I hope he finds some offense. Like Larsson the amount of disruption to there plays has been key in frustrating them. I think he has been rushing his chances, he needs to drive closer to the net and dangle a bit before he shoots, he isn’t going to beat many goalies without getting the goalie moving. Correct me if I’m wrong but it seems like he stops moving his legs when he’s getting close to a chance for a shot, and takes his wrister which often misses or right into the crest.

Wonderful game by the boys.

30. JDI Хоккей says:

Pescador: stay for the gossip

Image search for Pawlina in 3… 2… 1…

31. DBO says:

Speaking of understanding wives. Mine is 8 mths pregnant and last night she left the room for the third cause she said “i have been in the bedroom for all their wins, watching for their loses. So I’ll leave so i dont mess it up” . God i love that lady.

32. hunter1909 says:

Re any chance of a Ducks comeback:

This Oilers team is showing fantastic resilience. They not only stormed back to win game 2 vs the Sharks after blowing game 1 but they beat the Sharks thoroughly after losing a 7-0 disaster on ice.

These Oilers might be beatable, but the opposition will have to beat them in many more ways than 1) out skating them and 2) out intimidating them.

33. Diablo says:

JDI Хоккей: Pretty sure he was checking if Patty’s lips were turning blue yet:

Lindholm might have a future in MMA after his hockey season is done.

34. Richard S.S. says:

That was a bunt-ugly game and an unbelievable steal of a game by Cam Talbot. Games like that are rare for Cam Talbot despite the fact he’s an excellent goaltender. Oilers rarely produce one of the dogs the next games they play anymore. They may or may not win game three, but they won’t be so easy to beat.

35. smellyglove says:

Two points/questions:

1) The NHL receives accolades for being run as an excellent sports business. Compared to NBA and FIFA, the National Hockey League is a paragon of integrity, and growing and profitable too. On top of being a carbon neutral sports league, the NHL has also been making inroads to eliminating homophobia in sports – while I’m sure still has a long way to go. However, in what other sports league in the world would you allow grown adults to punch and assault each other without repercussion? It boggles the mind, and I come from a rough background. Building on that, the amount of obstruction, interference, clutching, and grabbing that is allowed, which disrupts the flow and spirit of the game, is nearly enough to make me want to walk away from the sport. It’s in the rule book, it’s routinely un-called by a number of officials. That bleeds subjective bias in officiating, but also more alarmingly, systematic failure. I want to see Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews ripping up and down the ice. I don’t want to see relics like Bieksa or Gryba horse-collaring skilled players or slowing down the game.

2) What’s the deal with the Anaheim Kelowna flights? Are they taking a day off? Kelowna is a hell of a long way from Edmonton.

36. hunter1909 says:

We’re winning the corsi battle!” Dallas Eakins

37. JDI Хоккей says:

Dee Dee: Speaking of the land of ice and snow the Oilers entrance song for the game was the Immigrant song by Zeppelin.

It was for the first game too, although sadly not LZ’s version:

38. Jethro Tull says:

smellyglove,

Accolades from whom? Which ones? Professional Sports League of the Year?

39. Doug McLachlan says:

Wierd. I watched the game and could see the numbers but didn’t have any fear – a strange sensation after the last decade.

When we went up 2-0 all I could think of was how we had sucked the Ducks will right out of them. The Oiler fans chanting “Lets go Oilers!” almost as an echo of what the crowd in Rogers was doing – priceless.

I don’t know if we have what it takes to beat Nashville or Pittsburgh but the Ducks are cooked.

shout out to TMac and his post game pressers. No false modesty or whining about the refs, just calm, meticulous pro. He knows how much better this team can be – music.

Also, shout out to the Oiler fans who made the trip. Twitter reported that as they were leaving the rink last night they were chanting “You can’t win here!”. Epic Duck/Flames trolling.

40. hunter1909 says:

smellyglove: What’s the deal with the Anaheim Kelowna flights? Are they taking a day off? Kelowna is a hell of a long way from Edmonton.

Duck’s mgmt really hates Alberta?

41. Scungilli Slushy says:

Diablo: Even Hughson (who’s not a homer for the Oilers at all)

I haven’t had a Uuge problem with Hughson until last night. He was seething as I saw it, he looked ready to spit at the camera after his insincere comments about the Oilers game to end the segment.

Disrespectful, and it is a shame that in a country that made the game that the commentators are largely clueless about modern hockey and so biased that there dislike of any team but their’s is on full display.

After watching a fair few streamed games and listening to American broadcasts, a lot of those guys blow their Canadian counterparts out of the water. They call the plays as they are good or bad either way and don’t throw players under the bus constantly. They seem more like fans and enjoy the games, and that tone to me is a more professional approach. I think they would lose their jobs if they behaved how our guys do sometimes.

42. JDI Хоккей says:

Jethro Tull: Professional Sports League of the Year?

Three out of four billionaires prefer owning an NHL team because of cost certainty, a long revenue season, and low violent crime rates among the players.

43. Scungilli Slushy says:

hunter1909: Duck’s mgmt really hates Alberta?

Kev invited them for a BBQ and is going to attempt to food poison them.

44. JDI Хоккей says:

hunter1909: Duck’s mgmt really hates Alberta?

Two days off between games 3 and 4.

45. McNuge93 says:

Scungilli Slushy,

But that’s goaltending these days. Very technical and covering a such as possible. The ducks had four or five chances all alone on him and he made terrific saves. And picked up the puck well through traffic and didnt give many rebounds. That third period was as tense as it gets but by the last 5 minutes the Ducks seemed to run out of bullets

46. Professor Q says:

Vegas holds a 10.3% chance to land #1OV.

Schädenfreude for them to swipe it out from under Colorado and Vancouver?

47. Pescador says:

I’m seeing this playoff series way different then the SJ one.
    The Sharks were far superior at pressuring the Oilers in all 3 zones. IMO.
    This caused the Oilers D to cough up the puck far more in the D-zone and gave our forwards nightmares on the wall trying to get the puck out at the blue line.
    I know the Oilers got caved in possession last night, but I see the Oilers having more success entering the Ducks zone & cycling then they ever did against the Sharks.
    I know the Oilers got out shot bad last night , but it’s seems like the team as a whole has an easier time existing our zone with the puck.
    Our D is doing an admirable job at keeping the majority of those shots to the outside.
    SJ was a better possession team if hockey was measured by the amount of time each team spent actually possessing the puck.
    The game may be to fast and too fluid to ever measure it this way, so instead possession is measured in scoring chances.
    This is what makes the Ducks a more superior club, their top 9 forwards have more finish then an Asian massage parlour.
    The Oilers will win this series in 5 games because of goal tending
    Last night I raised a glass for Cam Talbot, then I raised another.

48. JDI Хоккей says:

McNuge93: the Ducks seemed to run out of bullets

Awww… No mo bulwets!

49. delooper says:

JDI Хоккей: It was for the first game too, although sadly not LZ’s version:

Everyone is buzzing about the next Thor movie.

When I was a kid my uncle used to read me Marvel Thor comics as bedtime stories.

50. JDI Хоккей says:

delooper: Everyone is buzzing about the next Thor movie.

51. Side says:

Dee Dee:
    And the Ducks understand it too and exploit it to the max.

Maroon getting mugged behind the net? Non scoring event.
    Lucic falling on the Duck outside the blue line? Non scoring event.

Russel holds Rakells stick for 2 frames of slow mo. Scoring event. Penalty.

Oh, and I cannot, ever, read anything in a Scandinavian language without using the voice of the SwedishChef from the muppets.

So I read it as: “Jesse-a Puoljuojärfi oupened up a deeffeecuolt term ouff Ouffeece-a: “Yes zeere-a betvee-a beceme-a muzeer tu meess bork bork bork””

52. Spengler says:

DBO:

Great game by her!

53. Professor Q says:

delooper: Everyone is buzzing about the next Thor movie.

That’s a wonderful Thory.

54. delooper says:

JDI Хоккей: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV0wTtiJygY

My wife hates metal. But the Thor trailer she’s watched maybe 5 times. She had no idea who Led Zeppelin was. . .

55. Acumen says:

So when we make the cup finals is the post gonna be about Zihuanteno beach?

Because I’m feeling a lot like Andy Dufresne right now.

56. Dee Dee says:

Side: That doesn’t explain why in game 1 of this series, after the play behind the net, lucic was slashed from behind so he retaliated by slashing back only to take a penalty for it.

Cause the Ref saw it? <Shrug>

57. jm363561 says:

“safe to say the Anaheim Ducks are going to have a helluva time getting back to even in this series.”

To a point this is undoubtedly correct. The Oilers are 18-4 in their last 22 games, and a quick Google shows that when a team goes 2-0 up in an NHL playoff series they win it 87% of the time. But……

…. a bounce here or there and the Oilers could just as easily been 0-2 down; Anaheim had equally impressive stats two games ago (and the Phlegms not so long ago); and what struck me about the previous playoff stats, of the 13% that did win from 0-2 down, a surprising number won 4-2. The Ducks beat San Jose after being 3-0 down. This is not over.

Not sure if this is my natural accountant’s caution or the effect of years of suckdom still lingering.

58. hunter1909 says:

delooper: My wife hates metal.But the Thor trailer she’s watched maybe 5 times. She had no idea who Led Zeppelin was. . .

Original metal bands with the equivalent age of Led Zeppelin: Deep Purple, Black Sabbath…followed by the Motorhead Iron Maiden era lol

59. delooper says:

jm363561:
    Not sure if this is my natural accountant’s caution or the effect ofyears of suckdom still lingering.

I’m still afraid to look at the NHL rankings and player stats.

In the 80’s every day I’d look at the team point rankings, and player point rankings. . . But in the 90’s and 00’s I became afraid. Superstitious that if I got too curious about them, the Oilers would lose.

60. Professor Q says:

hunter1909: Led Zeppelin weren’t really a metal band. They were an insanely heavy blues band.

Original metal bands with the equivalent age of Led Zeppelin:Deep Purple, Black Sabbath…followed by the Motorhead Iron Maiden era lol

Almost could be termed Fantasy Heavy Blues Rock.

61. 106 and 106 says:

The Ducks are heavy. Nurse crashed hard twice with his noggin,’ and was slow to come back. Drake seemed to taggle his feet in Gibson’s stick and McDavid took more than his fair shares of ‘small’ whacks.

Hard price to pay, but those bruises feel better today for the squad. Playoff Hockey.

And surprised by the nice Ebs beard. Who knew?

62. JustWatt says:

jm363561,

It’s interesting to hear you say that those that come back often win 4-2. Oil did it to the Sharks in ’06.

That’s undoubtedly part of the reason LT says that it’s not over yet. And I agree.

Difference is that they took the 2-0 lead on the road. In ’06 they had the fortune of not having to come back in the series on the road like Anaheim is going to have to do.

It’s pretty obvious to say but if the Oil grab either one of the next to Games at home this series is over.

63. hunter1909 says:

106 and 106: Nurse crashed hard twice with his noggin,’ and was slow to come back.

Nurse as we know got long term injured and missed a lot of this season, and as a result he’s been a bit less “enthusiastic” than before; and as a MacLellan era Oilers he’s not going to want to fuck up cheating for offense.

Next season Nurse is going to turn up at training camp like Godzilla. He will be a mainstay on the 2nd pairing by Christmas.

64. Professor Q says:

Draisaitl seemed pretty tired during his interview today. Well, more than his usual monotone/dull toned self. Red eyes and sleepy headed movements.

65. treevojo says:

hunter1909:

Truth

66. treevojo says:

What happened to Corey Perry?

8.63 million till 2021 for a third line winger.

67. Pescador says:

Acumen:
    So when we make the cup finals is the post gonna be about Zihuanteno beach?

Because I’m feeling a lot like Andy Dufresne right now.

Hopefully not the scene from the prison laundry

68. delooper says:

treevojo: Corey Perry

I think he still plays for the Ducks.

69. JDI Хоккей says:

treevojo: What happened to Corey Perry?

Shhh – let’s let sleeping Ducks… uh… float.

70. Frank the dog says:

hunter1909: Duck’s mgmt really hates Alberta?

Right now the trucks with dogs, flags and Stanley cups are everywhere, and how ma y Oil fans would not recognize their players of they go for a walk? What restaurant would want to be seen serving them?
    What kind of reception would Getzlaf get on the streets of downtown Edmonton? What would they see and hear when looking out of their hotel window?

There again maybe It’s a ruse to stop fans from finding out where they are staying in Edmonton…..
    Any guesses?

71. hunter1909 says:

delooper: I’m still afraid to look at the NHL rankings and player stats.

In the 80’s every day I’d look at the team point rankings, and player point rankings. . .But in the 90’s and 00’s I became afraid.Superstitious that if I got too curious about them, the Oilers would lose.

Two words:

Lowe
    MacT

72. LMHF#1 says:

I don’t know about you guys, but I quite enjoyed when Leon went into full Pronger crosscheck mode on Josh Manson. He has that side to his game and it’s most important come April-June.

73. Melvis says:

I wasn’t paying attention to the segment, but it sounds like Renee Katz, nee Gouin. She’s about a decade older than Daryl – I think. The Gouin family happens to be North American Construction Group. I suspect the family worth of the latter is in a range of half a billion.

74. hunter1909 says:

Frank the dog: Think about it, which hotel in downtown Edmonton, or metro Edmonton will either suppress their support for the Oil in this circumstance or, worse still, put up welcome ducks banners in their lobby?

Any guesses?

Let’s put it this way: When was the last time Elton John stayed in Paris, while playing the London Palladium?

Ducks are a veteran team, who’s mystique is going down the crapper faster than the Sharks right now. The last thing I’d want them to do(if I was supporting them) is waste hours commuting from another freaking Province. Someone out there should organize one of those South American situations with car horns honking until 3AM. Shotgun sounds being played outside their hotel room(how grand can a hotel is Kelowna be? lol) along with quacking duck noises, etc.

On the other hand the Oilers will be rested up and waiting for them: led by their 20 and 21 year old superstars at home; with the surefire cockiness of youth, and with the last line change.

75. treevojo says:

delooper: I think he still plays for the Ducks.

JDI Хоккей: Shhh – let’s let sleeping Ducks… uh… float.

Ya pretty crazy that in a game that could be seen as a must win down by a goal in the third that your highest paid player doesn’t get bumped up on the top line.

Maybe age is kicking him in the ass.

That cliff is unforgiving.

76. judgedrude says:

Russell’s controlled zone exits are high, but by eye, every time he tried to do an uncontrolled exit, the Ducks forward held the line to keep the Oilers pinned in their zone.

So, that controlled exit number should be paralleled with zone exit attempts.

77. Johnny Stomper says:

I was fully expecting Manson to perform a camel clutch alla Iron Shiek.

It will be that much sweeter when we dispatch of those goons.

78. Woogie63 says:

For all those citizens that said a new arena was a billionaire’s toy should ask that question again. Even the most jaded non-hockey fan has to admit that play-offs in a Canadian city is really special for all.

79. Showerhead says:

The other day, speeds posted something to the effect that Edmonton won game 1 despite:
    1) McDavid being quiet
    2) Talbot not needing to steal it.

Talbot stole the fuck out of game 2 and McDavid came back to life. Good omens, these.

On the other hand, I’m not sure what to make of games like last night. They were shellacked but it kind of made sense that they would be shellacked (Anaheim 0-1 at home, plus score effects of such an early Sekera goal.)

Talbot saved them (on repeat!) and Talbot’s posts saved him (twice!) after also saving him a few times in g1.

This is not a dominant 2-0 series lead by any stretch.

But then… It is a 2-0 series lead. And they’re heading home. And Talbot is playing well. And Connor McDavid is flying again and he is wearing an Oiler jersey when he does so.

So this is good, right? This is very good.

80. Scungilli Slushy says:

McNuge93:
    Scungilli Slushy,

I thought his positioning was great, and of course not tossing out rebounds. The way I view goalering, that is how a good goalie plays. They missed the net a lot, but the positioning plays into that.

For me when a goalie steals a game it’s when they make saves they usually shouldn’t, above the norm. Talbot was the star of the game, but he got to see the shots as they had little traffic. A lot of their shots hit him without much movement. The luck came on the scrambly stuff, nothing came of it for them, but that is as much the skaters as the goalie, or more.

McLellan said they didn’t play well, they weren’t dominant and I think that is what he would like to see. They got caught on some cycles and had wobbly moments, that’s what he wants cleaned up. Also the weak O zone plays turning over or losing control of the puck with no sustained pressure.

At the same time they didn’t allow a lot in key areas, as Lowetide pointed out the HDSC were even, the Fowl had a lot of perimeter shots and Talbot saw them, which is why the Oilers won IMO. Puck luck plays into it as the Fowl hit iron, but so did the Oilers. Bounces and a steady goalie wins the day.

81. JDI Хоккей says:

hunter1909: is waste hours commuting from another freaking Province.

I think the flight time from Kelowna to Edmonton is about an hour-twenty.

They have two days off between games.

I’m not sure why people are making such a big deal of this.

82. OF17 says:

Frank the dog:

In Y1 of Toews/Kane, the Blackhawks missed. In Y2, they lost the conference finals 4-1 to the Red Wings. Y3, they won the Cup. If the Oilers win this series, they’ll be on pace with the Blackhawks in terms of early success.

Treating this as Y2 McDavid as opposed to Y11 Rebuild is the most useful. McDavid changed everything. Chiarelli did too. We only have one Dman who even played a game with the pre-McDavid team. We only have 1/3 of the 1st overalls. And we’re up 2-0 in a series that, if clinched, would put us equal to the Blackhawks in yearly progression. This after a regular season in which McDavid won the Art Ross and Draisaitl beat Toews’s career high in points.

What, exactly, are we seeing unfold here?

83. Diablo says:

Any guesses?

All valid points. The number of loogies in their food would be way higher than the norm!

84. blainer says:

JDI Хоккей: Shhh – let’s let sleeping Ducks… uh… float.

Forget that guy’s name who said * It’s not Over til its over *.

Cam Talbot flat out stole that game last night.

This series is no where near over if we don’t do something about those faceoff’s.

Now I did expect to lose last night and was not expecting a steal like that from our goalie but the ducks goalie is quite capable of doing that to us as well.

That was one of the most physical beatings I have ever seen the Oil ever take. They have to come out next game and give it right back to those mighty Fucks !!

They are one bunch of absolute filth. Dirtbags.. scum… The Oilers should be made to sit through a video review to remind them of how filthy they were. Go out on Sunday and give it back but stay out of the box.

85. Melvis says:

I’m going to save the Zuma beach story for the Woodguy and his bucket list. He can look me in the eyes. Even I find it hard to believe.

You did what???

I was the Darwin award winner that year and runner up certificate recipient of the Youth is wasted on the young contest.

Then Faye Dunaway went and married Peter Wolf.

86. McNuge93 says:

OF17: That’s not quite how the Penguins went. In Crosby Y1, they missed the playoffs. They made it in Y2 with 105 points, second in the division, and lost in the first round to Ottawa. Crosby Y3 is when they made the Finals and lost, with Y4 obviously being the win. So the Oilers are actually ahead of the Penguins at this point, having made the second round in Y2 with the potential for more.

What, exactly, are we seeing unfold here?

This is Y2 of rebuilt 3.0

87. Diablo says:

treevojo:

Maybe age is kicking him in the ass.

That cliff is unforgiving.

The look on his face when he was pulled after his 10 second shift in the third was priceless – I was wondering if it was directed towards Carlyle or whether someone on the Oilers bench was chirping him?

While he’s slowed down some, he still had a 53 point season – not bad in today’s NHL. His TOI is way down since Eaves arrived, and I bet that’s not sitting well with him.

88. Frank the dog says:

Woogie63:
    For all those citizens that said a new arena was a billionaire’s toy should ask that question again.Even the most jaded non-hockey fan has to admit that play-offs in a Canadian city is really special for all.

Katz is probably kicking himself for not building a bigger stadium.

89. OF17 says:

McNuge93: This is Y2 of rebuilt 3.0

We can essentially split our years into Before Christ and Anno Domini.

90. Jethro Tull says:

Melvis:

You did what???

Then Faye Dunaway went and married Peter Wolf.

Give us warning if you ever tell it, because i want to lay supplies in….32 day old ribeye (bone in), and some fine ale. You should wait until the dog days of summer are here and we’re short of hockey!

91. Chachi says:

jm363561:

The Ducks beat San Jose after being 3-0 down. This is not over.

Are you sure about that?

92. The Hermit says:

OF17: What, exactly, are we seeing unfold here?

Awesomeness! 🙂

93. dustrock says:

I tweeted last night about it but gamecenter gives me the NBC broadcast and its a real pleasure compared to Sportsnet. Yeah, lots of talk about importance of faceoff wins, but they were giving the Oilers yuge credit on the PK, complementing their compete level and getting in the Ducks’ passing lanes.

You know, praise you’d never hear from the ostensibly Canadian Sportsnet crew.

Even Roenick at intermission is more bearable than Hrudey.

94. Dee Dee says:

Melvis:

Aren’t you supposed to die to win that one?

95. JDI Хоккей says:

dustrock: Even Roenick at intermission is more bearable than Hrudey.

Joining such pleasurable things as bamboo splinters under your fingernails and waterboarding.

96. JDI Хоккей says:

Chachi: Are you sure about that?

That’s a fact, but they say that the Sharks’ coach was to blame…

97. Chachi says:

JDI Хоккей: That’s a fact, but they say that the Sharks’ coach was to blame…

A better than mediocre coach would have realized they were playing the Kings.

98. JDI Хоккей says:

Chachi,

Alternate facts.

99. harrigan says:

delooper,

When Thor was a kid, his uncle used to read him Stan Weir comics!

100. N64 says:

hunter1909: Duck’s mgmt really hates Alberta?

They like Calgary 😉

101. hunter1909 says:

JDI Хоккей: I think the flight time from Kelowna to Edmonton is about an hour-twenty.

They have two days off between games.

I’m not sure why people are making such a big deal of this.

Magically the Ducks NHL team appears inside the plane, as it taxis down the runway…

102. N64 says:

I think they are coming in today. They are in Kelowna between games.

Someone suggested that they can settle in to their summer homes between games. No need to fly to Anaheim after game 4. 😉

103. Oil2Oilers says:

Sunday afternoon games have been bad during the decade of darkness.

This Sunday the crowd may influence the energy level.

I am not sure how it will turn out but it will be a show.

Not like those coma inducing Sunday afternoons of doom in Minnesota or Phoenix.

My hope is for some big checks to get the adrenaline out and to stay out of the penalty box.

104. Melvis says:

Dee Dee,

As in brain dead? Absolutely.

“Forget it Jake. It’s only Chinatown”

Now I have a bit of trouble with the Jerry Goldsmith theme.

105. JDI Хоккей says:

hunter1909,

They have chartered buses awaiting them on their arrival, and direct flights.

And did you not notice the part about two days off between games?

106. Jethro Tull says:

N64: I think they are coming in today. They are in Kelowna between games.

Walked by Stamkos two summers ago, as well as a bunch of Lightening players @ Mission Hill. Said hello to Stammer, he said hey. It was a thing we had. (Super nice guy)

107. N64 says:

Someone pointed out the Ducks opened the season with a losing streak. As per LT this is their first REAL playoff series 😉
    And voila another losing streak. Good need Ducks fans. The Ducks did win G5.

108. Bag of Pucks says:

Talk about a best case scenario for MacLellan. The team gets dominated on the shot clock, on the dot and on special teams, and still gets the win cos of Talbot channeling ’90 Bill Ranford.

2-0 lead, coming home to the best home advantage in pro sports atm, and likely no one in that locker room is satisfied with how they’re playing. You can’t ask for a better situation as a Head Coach.

I’m actually worried now that we’re setting up for another 06 type disappointment. That was unthinkable 3 months ago, but damn the torpedoes, this team is fun.

109. Bruce McCurdy says:

Talbot has 4 wins in the playoffs with 2 or fewer goals of support: 2-0, 1-0, 3-1*** & 2-1. (*** I don’t count the McDavid empty netter in San Jose because if the puck is in the neutral zone with 3 seconds left the game is already won.)

110. jimmers2 says:

They have two days off between games.

I’m not sure why people are making such a big deal of this.

It is because it is too exhausting, even for those guys, to be play the role of the heel every day, 24 hours a day. They like it on the ice and in the press conferences but if they stayed in Edmonton they have to make like Killer Karl Krupp and Cuban Assassin every damn minute of the day. Barking at every small dog takes a lot out of you.

111. Chachi says:

JDI Хоккей:
    hunter1909,

They have chartered buses awaiting them on their arrival, and direct flights.

And did you not notice the part about two days off between games?

112. admiralmark says:

The way I saw this game.

In the 1st period the Oilers were flying. There was a lot of back and forth but they were aggressive and McDavid was sublime. The team was feeling it. In the 2nd there were key moments that absolutely changed the momentum. There were blatant infractions by the Duck all over the Ice but whistles remained silent. There was a lot of energy being exerted by the Oilers but no luck from the puck and no interest from the refs it was grotesque.

Then was the play with McDavid essentially on a breakaway. McDavid was flying and about to get separation but Getzlaf hooks into his left arm with his right arm, pulling him so hard that McDavid was spun around in a 180. REF 20 feet away? Nothin. So thats how it was going to be.

Next up was Nurse attempting to skate the puck out. He tried to spin around Getzlaf but he had him lined up. Probably not a smart move by Nurse but what happens is Getrzlaf full on cross check Nurse into his back/shoulder sending him flying into the boards(def injured)… REF? Nope. nuthin to see there. Clearly Getzlaf has naked pictures of the refs cheating on their wives.

Then Kassian is in a puck battle behind the duck net. Admittedly he wrapped his stick around the player to try and dig the puck out and in the process realizes for him to hang onto the stick between the stick and the boards the player was going to be trapped. Recognizing this almost immediately he drops his stick to let the player free. REF? YUPPERS that’s a penalty. Apparently you now get penalties in the NHL for dropping your stick?!

Ducks sensed this was a big moment and came all guns blazing. The team weathered the storm but it took a lot of energy from the team. Unfortunately 30 secs later Darnell carelessly when changing stick side hit a Duck in the face. REF? Happily calls a penalty against Nurse.

This time with the team on its heals the Ducks were able to capitalize on the man advantage making it 2-1.

And from that point on I saw a completely different game. Ducks were on fire with the forechek. And Oilers from the D to the forwards were not sharp and were struggling to make short passes. I’m of the opinion that the nature of the game changed for the Oilers first due to physical exhaustion and 2nd due to loss of mental strength. Watching the 2nd the team came out looking great. They were sharp, intense, organized, and determined. Then came the Referee’s. No calls while Oiler players were being assaulted and then rinky dink call on Kassian. The 2nd penalty to Nurse was an energy breaker. The team was gassed and between that and the Anaheim goal the tide was turned. Both mentally and physically the team had lost its edge combined with the Ducks desperation the game changed. And they could never quite get it back.

With the break in between the 2nd and 3rd you can say that energy no longer was a factor. And maybe it was more mental at that point. But they were just hanging on. And McDavid was no longer McDavid of the 1st and 2nd. I would even say that it was the Getzlaf non call when McDavid stopped being mcDavid.

I get one shouldn’t blame the refs. But I challenge anyone to really watch that game last night and not say the Refs were a major factor in how the tide changed for the losing team. In my books the NHL should be ashamed of these jackasses they put out there. As unprofessionally reffed league as i’ve ever seen. Maybe the CFL is worse but the NHL is 2nd.

113. Diablo says:

Chachi: Assuming the Ducks can get through security and on to the plane immediately after they get to the airport in Leduc and assuming they are staying close to the airport in Kelowna it is still a minimum of about 2 1/2 hours of travel time both ways. That’s at least 5 hours that the Ducks aren’t resting or preparing for the game in any meaningful way. Probably not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it makes me happy that they’ll be spending time doing things other than getting ready for the game.

Thats five extra hours of practice time for the Oilers to work on face-offs!

114. Melvis says:

Get over the Kelowna thing already. It’s far from the madding crowds. Which is Reason enough. Try five back to backs. I’ve rented a car in Philly or Dayton for an alone time road trip to Nashville or NYC…just to get away from the horseshit for a few hours. And I had a private plane at my disposal.

And if that sounds a bit much like brag and hot air – too bad. Try walking a mile in another’s shoes now and again.

115. Chachi says:

Diablo: Thats five extra hours of practice time for the Oilers to work on face-offs!

They’ll need every minute of it too.

116. Georges says:

Scungilli Slushy:

Wonderful game by the boys.

This is a sensible take. If you watch the game recap on dtmts, there are, I think, 3 highlights of the Ducks getting in all alone chances against Talbot. They were all before the 3rd period. Talbot stopped them all.

The Ducks had 40 shots for the game but they didn’t have a disproportionate amount of in-close chances. They had already taken 38 of those 40 shots with about 8 minutes left in the game. After that, Fowler hit a post and the Ducks managed 2 more routine shots on net (Getzlaf wrister from the blueline at 7:29 and Getzlaf wrister from the blueline at 1:44).

Jim Hughson either really likes the Ducks or really dislikes the Oilers. The disappointment he conveyed over the Ducks’ posts and Fowler falling down on a near break was quite moving.

He also seemed to consider it damning that the Oilers never had the puck in the 3rd period. Well, the Ducks had a problem they needed to solve during that period. Had they solved their problem then the Oilers may have been more interested in offense.

Instead, we had 5 men back while the Ducks skated around doing a whole lotta nothing. They managed 2 shots on net in the last 8 minutes of a game they had to have. Not mighty.

Talbot did everything he had to do. But our defense was stout. Our team play was sound. The Oilers have been learning to be good problem solvers all year. It should be obvious now that they’re a very good team. Much more than CMD+Talbot.

117. Chachi says:

Melvis:

Madding crowds? Who knew Edmonton was such a pressure cooker.

118. Centre of attention says:

McLellan again with high praise for Slepyshev. Coach thought he had a great game.

Great enough that he thought they weren’t playing him enough, and did his best to get him out noticeably more in the 3rd .

Development! Its the real thing! 🙂

119. striatic says:

Here’s hoping Puljujarvi has a strong WHC and gets some of his confidence back. The Oilers are going to need him soon.

120. Frank the dog says:

jm363561:

121. Melvis says:

And another thing, Try separating the NHL from the NHLOA for a change. The current CBA between the two is five years. From 2014. For all intent and purposes, the latter is a law unto itself once that thing is signed. It’s not very different from a nurses or teachers contract between a union and a province.

Now try turfing out an incompetent nurse or teacher. Short of murder or groping, it’s nearly impossible.

“The NHLOA has now reached a point in its development where it wants to reach out to those who have a special interest in the officiating at the NHL level. The creation of this web site makes the NHLOA Members more accessible to the public and wish to present a side of them that is rarely available to hockey fans, whether they be Officials themselves or simply curious about this aspect of hockey.”

So have it.

If you think Bettman (that dink) simply calls up Harry Radomski for a certain slant because NBC or ESPN ratings – you’re simply dreaming or braying at the moon.

122. Diablo says:

Georges:

Is NBC covering game 3? If so I’m switching over to their broadcast. I’ve had it with Hughson – he’s garbage. Its too bad that Louie comes saddled with Remenda. I wish they would just put Gretzky or the Moose in the booth to do commentary. I’d listen to that all day.

And I agree with part of your take on the third period. The Oilers did a great job at limiting the Duck’s chances to long distance shots that Talbot was able to see clearly. They’ve been very good at this ‘bend but don’t break’ defensive strategy all season long – and it speaks volumes to the discipline and faith that this team in the coach’s system.

BUT they were chasing the play the entire third period – that’s a fact and a concern. They couldn’t get a clean breakout going. And losing so many face-offs cleanly and consecutively virtually eliminated the Oiler’s possession of the puck.

Unfortunately I don’t think the face-off problem can be fixed – Getzlaff, Kesler, Vermette have been three of the best guys in the draw for many years – but the breakouts can and have been cleaner. I have faith that we’ll see a better performance in this regard in game 3. Our boys typically bounce back after a sub-par performance with a much sharper game.

123. Georges says:

The refs called 4 penalties on the Ducks and 4 penalties on the Oilers. 4 PP opportunities each.

They didn’t call Getzlaf’s takedown of CMD. They didn’t call Eberle’s takedown of Vermette.

And Eberle’s was with a little over a minute left to play.

It’s a travesty.

124. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– Great post LT! I posted this in last thread teams that are up 2-0 in playoffs win more than 86% of time. We are extremely likely to win series now

– and I’d guess 95%+ that win the first two on road win

– also this is playoff hockey. We were leading. They are a good team. When good teams are not leading they will dominate possession and chances. Always. We won because at the end of the game we were in the lead. That’s how you win games.

– single game corsi analysis in playoffs doesn’t do anything except confirm scoring effects. Teams would rather hold on for dear life with the lead than have to score to tie it up and then score again to lead.

125. Chachi says:

Frank the dog: How far up was Vancouver when the refs pocketed their whistles and Boston took over to win? 2-0?

2-0 but those were both home games. Much easier to put away the whistles in Boston. Only home game Vacouver lost was game 7 – tee hee!

126. Melvis says:

Chachi,

Cory Perry can’t check out a suit at Harry’s, or pinch a butt at Hooters, or anything else at WED without attracting attention is all I’m saying.

127. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– and I’d guess 95%+ that win the first two on road win

– also this is playoff hockey. We were leading. They are a good team. When good teams are not leading they will dominate. Always. We won because at the end of the game we were in the lead. That’s how you win games.

128. Centre of attention says:

Coach says he’s counting on Caggulia being good for game 3

129. Chris says:

I’m assuming they are staying in Kelowna as many of the western Canadians on the team have summer homes there. Beyond that perhaps more of them would rather crash at their friends summer home/mansion than staying even in a swanky hotel room in Edmonton. Beyond that they won’t have to deal with people in Edmonton being insane for a day.

130. Chachi says:

Melvis:
    Chachi,

I get you.

131. Caller Zen says:

LT without a single mention of the draft lottery today … is this for real? Am I dreaming?

132. McSorley33 says:

JDI Хоккей,

Agreed on Sleppy….one of the few forwards that seemed to be able to ho,d possession in Ducks end.

My affinity for the player is growing…….

133. N64 says:

Chris: I’m assuming they are staying in Kelowna as many of the western Canadians on the team have summer homes there

Also very convenient for them to fly direct to Kelowna after game 4 😉

134. Bulging Twine says:

Encouraging to see Edmonton winning the inner slot shots.

135. McSorley33 says:

Centre of attention,

Glad Tmac has joined the Sleppy party…..better late than never.

136. jm363561 says:

Chachi: Are you sure about that?

Well I was until I read this tweet:

The #Oilers have taken a 2-0 lead in 14 best-of-seven series in their history prior to tonight. They’ve yet to lose a series after doing so

137. McSorley33 says:

For me, with the exception of a couple of decent offensive forays…..not super pumped about Cags.

Don’t get me wrong, I like him long term…..but right now,,,meh.

138. --hudson-- says:

Chris:

It seems like a Ducks tradition, 2 years ago they stayed in Banff between games 3 and 4 versus Calgary. (credit to Terry Jones for asking Carlyle about this last night)

Proof: http://www.latimes.com/sports/ducks/la-sp-ducks-flames-fyi-20150507-story.html

And an interesting quote:
    “The city of Calgary is a tough city to be in when you’re in a playoff run,” he said. “That city really gets behind their team. There’s a lot going on, whether it’d be at the hotel or around the hotel. Those kind of things. Sometimes it’s nice to just step away and not have to deal with people yelling in your face, those kind of things when you’re trying to walk down the street.”

139. --hudson-- says:

There is live game audio of the referee being mic’d while talking to Getzlaf in game 1. Unbelievable that Getzlaf was complaining about a missed call (about a minute in):

Just unbelievable.

140. New Improved Darkness says:

JustWatt: It’s interesting to hear you say that those that come back often win 4-2.

But in truth, comebacks are more likely if the team bouncing back was the stronger team to begin with, or the chokers fell victim to physical ailments. However, to model this, one needs to pluck a Bayesian prior out of one’s Bayesian aperture.

odds <- function (g, w, p) {
    q <- 1-p
    x <- g-w
    choose(g,w)*p^w*q^x
    }

p <- 0.21; r <- c(p,1-p); sum(odds (2,0,r) * odds(4,3,r) * odds(1,1,r)) / sum(odds (2,0,r) * odds(4,4,r))

[1] 0.9931158

By this calculation (which looks correct), if you have a series where the strong team wins 79% against the weak team (massive strength imbalance), comebacks from 2-0 will occur equally often in 6 games or 7 games.

For p=0.5 (equal teams), the answer comes back as 2.0, as stated above.

Note: sum() is used to add weak to strong for each comeback scenario.

———

So that doesn’t tell me much I wouldn’t have guessed already.

What is interesting is that for p=0.6 (a substantial strength imbalance), the ratio comes out as 1.85. The curve is extremely flat in the region of plausibility.

Availability heuristic

The availability heuristic operates on the notion that if something can be recalled, it must be important, or at least more important than alternative solutions which are not as readily recalled.

The express comeback happens 33% of the time on a fair coin, but it’s massively more humiliating in brain-stem playground salience.

(Note that I didn’t model home-ice advantage, which doubles the number of terms, because you have to also consider which team starts the series with home ice, and that involves a second pluck, because you really need to know how often the stronger team starts with home ice in the plausible world.)

141. Centre of attention says:

Szymon Szemberg‏ @Sz1909_Szemberg 6h6 hours ago
    Ilya Kovalchuk not going to #IIHFWorlds, will undergo knee surgery.

Maybe pass on Kovy if he’s having his knee worked on at age 34?

142. leadfarmer says:

Looks like the ducks are starting their summer vacation already. Need to get good spots in Kelowna before all the kids get done with school

143. PDO says:

Georges:

And Eberle’s was with a little over a minute left to play.

It’s a travesty.

I missed the part where PPs were supposed to be even at the end of the game, could you show that to me ib yhe rule book please?

144. Melvis says:

New Improved Darkness: If you model the future as flips of a fair coin, 33% of comebacks occur in six games (4 choose 4 : 4 choose 3 * 1/2 = 1:2).

“However, to model this, one needs to pluck a Bayesian prior out of one’s Bayesian aperture.”

Best line of the week.

While sitting on the Dock of the Baysian prior, I’ve often plucked something out of the Baysian aperture.

However, within self-deprecatory terms, I’m uncetain of the code governing heuristics.

145. Frank the dog says:

Chris:

At the price of flying in, seeing all the flags and derricks and crazy fans as they bus in from the airport, then flying to Kelowna right after the game, only to repeat for Game 3. Surely that alone is a little more tiring and disruptive than staying in a local hotel where they are playing a team where the populace doesn’t give a damn.
    Let alone going through the noise and booing of a beserk crowd!

146. commonfan14 says:

If only Chia had negotiated a “right to swap 1st round picks” clause into the Larsson deal, today would really be peak Lowetide.ca.

147. Richard S.S. says:

As future salaries go, Draisaitl should be in the $8.0-9.0 Million range over 7 or 8 years after this postseason’s performance. I also wouldn’t offer Connor less than $12.0 – 14.0 Million per over eight years also. But if it’s possible to sign them or less.

148. JDI Хоккей says:

I would think they have those express pass thingys that I see upper-class peoples use when they breeze by me and the muggles waiting for our cavity searches.

So they’re in Kelowna at 11 pm local time on Sunday, after their loss. They then fly in Wednesday morning at, say 11 am Edmonton time. That’s almost 60 hours of fanatic free away time.

149. JDI Хоккей says:

commonfan14: right to swap 1st round picks

I’m envisioning a Louie DePalma scene where he rubs salt in someone’s wounds.

150. leadfarmer says:

Centre of attention:
    Szymon Szemberg‏ @Sz1909_Szemberg6h6 hours ago
    MoreIlya Kovalchuk not going to #IIHFWorlds, will undergo knee surgery.

Maybe pass on Kovy if he’s having his knee worked on at age 34?

Depends what the surgery is? Could be just a scope and meniscus shave

151. Bulging Twine says:

fascinated to find out how the Oilers manage to have success in this years draft lottery!

152. Melvis says:

$32 mil on Drai and McDavid. Welcome to your ’18/’19 Edmonton Oilers. All nine of them.

153. flyfish1168 says:

Playoff hockey often is more about toughness then just skill. Being a bully is ok in the playoffs according to the NHL refs. Well I really hope the Oilers give Getzlaf a whack in the back of the knee after the game or when the refs not looking just to let him know we can be dirty just like him. Tired of the Refs not calling it during the game. We need to knock Getzlaf down a few pegs and keep him occupied that we are willing to hit him dirty at every turn.

NHL sends the wrong message to people when infractions are not called. This changes the game when the refs put away the whistle.

154. Lucinius says:

Bulging Twine:

Simple. Eastern teams win all lotto spots.

155. admiralmark says:

Richard S.S.:
    As future salaries go, Draisaitl should be in the $8.0-9.0 Million range over 7 or 8 years after this postseason’s performance.I also wouldn’t offer Connor less than $12.0 – 14.0 Million per over eight years also.But if it’s possible to sign them or less.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up less for both. And not because they don’t deserve it. My guess would be Drai at $7 Million per and McDavid at $10 Million per. Somewhere in the middle of a home town discount and Market value. Partially driven by both these players wanting good player around them. And recognizing in a cap world the limitations on what can be built if you are tying up $20-$23 Million of cap space for 2 players.

156. Bulging Twine says:

Lucinius: Simple. Eastern teams win all lotto spots.

I’d like that

157. Pescador says:

Chris:

That , plus their girlfriends are in Kelowna, wives are back in Anaheim.

158. Diablo says:

JDI Хоккей: I would think they have those express pass thingys that I see upper-class peoples use when they breezeby me and the muggles waiting for our cavity searches.

Never flown into Kelowna before, but if their airport is anything like the one here in Winnipeg, then they probably don’t need a Nexus pass. It normally takes me 10-15 minutes to check in my bag and go through security. Small airports are nice like that. Only downside is I usually have to make a connection to get to international destinations.

159. raventalon40 says:

Side: That doesn’t explain why in game 1 of this series, after the play behind the net was whistled down, lucic was slashed from behind so he retaliated by slashing back only to take a penalty for it.

Further to your point, doesn’t explain McDavid being hauled down by Getzlaf at the faceoff circle. A definite “scoring event”

160. raventalon40 says:

hunter1909: I seriously doubt if there’s a new commissioner by July 1st.

The NHL is losing the concussion lawsuit handily so far.

161. JDI Хоккей says:

Diablo: Do you mean a Nexus pass?

I guess that’s what you people call it.

162. Scungilli Slushy says:

Richard S.S.:

Teams that reward playoff performance or a season with fat contracts always come out ahead, like it did before for the Oilers.

Seriously, Drai is showing he has talent. Show me he can drive his own line at this level for a couple of seasons so we know it’s for real, and we’ll talk being paid at the top of the league.

He is 21, he still has to prove that he can do this all of the time. Bridge deal, 5-6M in a flat cap period. If he had it season in and out pay him. Also, this would extend him on his next RFA into his 30’s which is better for he team.

It is also good to keep him hungry and not strap a young player with a contract that can only be worth it with sustained elite play. That is a lot of pressure and will likely cause the loss of Eberle and Nuge because they are too high for their overall play.

The fortunate thing is this season has bonded these guys and they want to be Oilers and they are not satisfied with anything but ultimate success evidenced by the verbal that they went to Duckland to bag two wins – they are aiming high. McD and Leon are bright guys, they know that take by too much means losing quality in their teammates. If anyone won’t take a ‘playing with McDavid’s Oilers’ discount trade them for a bounty. That would make them selfish. It’s not like they aren’t going to be paid a ton either way.

163. Scungilli Slushy says:

Diablo: Do you mean a Nexus pass? Lol – they cost 50 bucks and are good for 5 years – super useful in Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton and in some but not all US destinations. Took an hour of my time to get the paperwork and security check done. Also very useful when coming back through customs from the US, and also useful as a second piece of government issued photo ID. Worth every penny.

I like lived in Kelowna for over 10 years, I’d be shocked if they didn’t roll out the red carpet for the myriad NHL’ers that go in and out of there. I am certain they would expedite them, they feel Kelowna is a world class place to live and go to so don’t want to look backwater to the mucky mucks.

164. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Melvis:
    Darcy. While I’m at it.

I’m spending the latter part of May on the coast. I don’t think the layover at Yeg on the 13th is any good. Or the train return layover on the 28th. Although I could get off and spend a couple of days in Edmonton. I’ve got a sunk cost on an extra plane ticket. Not sure how I was going to use it. So that’s an option.

As for the stories, they’re better written than told. Nevertheless, I’d welcome an opportunity to pick your brain on the hockey. And I’m good for a dinner out in that regard.

You can em at …if you feel like it.

Got it. Feel free to erase it if you want.

Also,

For domestic charter flights there is no security.

They can drive the bus right up to the plane and board.

165. New Improved Darkness says:

Run, run, run with my hot little mouse to archive this anomalous tidbit for posterity.

NHL Future Odds — 29 April 2017

Edmonton Oilers 3/1
    Pittsburgh Penguins 7/2
    Washington Capitals 17/4
    Nashville Predators 11/2
    Ottawa Senators 8/1
    St. Louis Blues 17/2
    New York Rangers 10/1
    Anaheim Ducks 14/1

I would call this “projectability”, because it captures a slice in time where the series status of each team is wildly different.

BUT—for at least this tiny wrinkle in time, your one-and-only Edmonton Clydesdales* presently occupy the projectability cat-bird seat.

[*] luckiest footwear you ever did see, and lots of it

166. Bruce McCurdy says:

Yet more shitty reffing on display in Ottawa. American team gets another massive non-call in their favour when a bloodletting high stick gets called a “follow through” due to the most flexible interpretation of that rule I’ve yet seen.

167. Justthestatsman says:

blainer: Forget that guy’s name who said * It’s not Over til its over *.

This may have already been answered, but I believe it was Yogi Berra. He’s also credited with “90% of this game is half mental”, and “If you don’t go to other peoples’ funerals, they won’t come to yours.”

168. Evilas says:

Georges,

The Eberle play is the only blatant missed call vs Edmonton I can think of, but there were around 10 missed calls that were not called vs Anaheim.

The horse collaring of CMD on a potential scoring chance in front of the unobstructed ref combined with the hold by Kassian behind the net shortly after that (which was a penalty, but I believe that the most critical calls need to be the ones that are related to impact on scoring chances) is the problem here.

It isn't the officials job to make sure each team has the same number of penalties, it is to enforce the rules, protect the players and ensure an even playing field. Why did that Lindholm choke hold on Maroon go unpunished, when in the previous game Maroon was penalized for a gloved punch/shove (yet Getzlaf got away with a spear/slash during the same incident).

The officials failed on all counts and that is the point. They are failing the players, all fans and ultimately the game by allowing the amount of violence they did.

Like LT said, crap like this contributed significantly to shortening Bobby Orr's career and we could add Mike Bossy, Eric Lindros and Tim Kerr plus many other stars and lesser players (like Craig Simpson) to that list.

I don't watch the games to see players like Kesler or Burrows or Raffi Torres or Matt Cooke or Tom Wilson, I want to watch the best do their best. And I expect that both teams will be playing with the same rule book.

What I've been seeing are 2 different rule books being used for each team. This is the point.

But what do I know, some Anaheim fans thinks the NHL is conspiring against them to ensure a Canadian team makes it to Stanley…..

169. Stelio Kontos says:

I would think they charter, which takes like 10 min to board and be on your way. No security check or anything. Super convenient. Literally will take them 0 time to get to edmonton. Longest part will probably be getting from EIA to Rogers tbh. Then can probably make it from kelowna to EDM in around an hour.

170. Clay says:

Bruce McCurdy:

You know, I try to not be the type who thinks the refs are biased, but holy cow. That no-call was egregious. Even worse is that OTT was called for a high stick earlier – a legit call – but proof that the refs hadn’t totally put the whistles away. Well, at least not when OTT breaks a rule.

171. Chachi says:

Woodguy v2.0: Got it.Feel free to erase it if you want.

Also,

For domestic charter flights there is no security.

They can drive the bus right up to the plane and board.

That saves them a few minutes.

172. --hudson-- says:

Clay: You know, I try to not be the type who thinks the refs are biased, but holy cow.That no-call was egregious.Even worse is that OTT was called for a high stick earlier – a legit call – but proof that the refs hadn’t totally put the whistles away.Well, at least not when OTT breaks a rule.

After the Sens gave up two SH goals today, the refs wanted to do them a favour.

173. delooper says:

Dee Dee: Aren’t you supposed to die to win that one?

Anyone that does something to remove themselves from evolution is worthy. So, eunuchs qualify, even the non-dead variety.

174. Wolfpack says:

I have not seen much said about it but I really dislike the kind of hit that Nurse took from Eaves behind the Oilers net. He was about 4 feet from the boards and completely defenceless. Is that not boarding? I have seen some serious injuries come from hits like that.