2017 PLAYOFFS (G9): G3 DUCKS AT OILERS

Such a bizarre series, seems I say every game is the biggest. Still, with a shocking 2-0 lead this morning, a win tonight hammers home the final result for both teams. I suspect we get Anaheim’s best effort tonight and we could go extra innings. I am beginning to wonder about Carlyle’s deployment, and the defensive depth of the Ducks. I have been told that the Getzlaf-Perry era is beginning to fade in Anaheim, but I don’t believe that for one damned minute.

OILERS DEPTH CHART AND PLAYOFF SCORING

• Five of Edmonton’s 21 goals come via the blue, with some gigantic goals from the trio of Klefbom, Larsson and Sekera.
  • The most impressive number is Cam Talbot’s save percentage, that’s a rocket.
  • We’re all waiting for Connor McDavid to break out and post a gigantic crooked number, and he had the jet boots on ’11’ on Friday night. Wingers gotta cash. It’s a tribute to 97 that we all agree his impact game is a matter of when and not if it happens.
  • Drake Caggiula has zero points but he’s getting closer. One of those line drives is going to fall in someday soon. Looks like he will play tonight.
  • The Nuge line skilled for the winning goal on Friday night, RNH and Eberle made good plays to get it done. Maroon found a way.
  • Zack Kassian has more goals called back in one season than anyone in my lifetime. Seems to be taking it in stride, though.

I asked Ilya to reach out to one of the EMHL’s players, idea being giving you an idea about the experience. Lyndon Anderson plays for the Resistance, here’s what he told us:

• I’ve been playing in the EMHL now for 10 years. I started out as a beginner in the coed league with no previous organized hockey experience. After 5 seasons I decided to start my own club in the EMHL men’s league as well as the coed league. My involvement in the EMHL has been very rewarding. Not only do I get to play with my brothers  but I’ve learned a lot about the game of hockey as well as how to manage a club and keep things organized on and off the ice. The task can be stressful at times but I find it’s worth it to see everyone enjoying themselves and having fun.

Click on the ad above if you are interested in joining a summer men’s or co-ed league, Ilya says if we get enough registrants he may turn it into a Lowetide team. I told him my team needed to lead the league in Corsi, after that it’s all good.

SUPER WOWY’S

The fantastically talented Puckalytics is running with or without you numbers during the playoffs and it’s a blast. Small sample size for sure, but fun all the same. If you want to spend several hours playing with it, check out the SuperWowy setup here. Here are some numbers to think about this morning.

• Connor McDavid is 35.3 percent Corsi for 5×5 against Hampus Lindholm so far in the Anaheim series. He is 52.9 against the rest of the Ducks during this series. We are talking just 15:31, and score effects are part of the story, but interesting all the same.
  • Connor McDavid is 47.2 Corsi for percentage against Ryan Kesler, in 16:36, 40.6 percent without Kesler. Early days, important not to overrate these numbers but they are interesting.
  • Connor McDavid is 33.3 Corsi for percentage against Ryan Getzlaf, in 9:24, and 50 percent without Getzlaf.
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is 25.0 Corsi for percentage against Getzlaf, in 16:23, and 37.5 percent without Getzlaf.

RECALLS

The Anaheim Ducks recalled Nicolas Kerdiles and Ondrej Kase, perhaps there is an injury or Randy Carlyle isn’t getting what he wants from specific players. Or it could be a matter of giving young prospects a taste of NHL playoff hockey. The Ducks constantly uncover useful and fun hockey players, their draft record is quality.

DRAKE CAGGIULA

Hockey-Reference’s player season finder is a dandy tool, and now that we are through the year we can begin to examine comparables. Drake Caggiula was a rookie at 22 and his comparables are players we mostly associate with being two-way types. It is a fine list, and if he ends up being Tobias Rieder we should celebrate, but unless Caggiula plays a lot on Connor McDavid’s line, the early numbers imply a mid-level offensive talent.

JESSE PULUJUARVI

This is a more promising group than I thought we would see, the eye ponders the Seguin comparable and the heart leaps. We need to factor in linemates (97) but sure, since JP is a year younger as a rookie we can contemplate. Before we proceed as if this is a reasonable comparable, I need to see Puljujarvi as a shooter (something Seguin delivered on as a rookie).

Jesse Puljujarvi totaled 7.81 shots-per-60 in all situations as a rookie, and Seguin’s total was 8.70 per 60. JP is a year younger, does that impact our decision? Puljujarvi has all kinds of gifts, but if he can emerge as a 30-goal scorer then Peter Chiarelli’s heavy work is far closer to being complete.

Boisvert is a very interesting follow on twitter, I have had him on my show to discuss Oilers prospects several times (and will again). I find his takes on the entry draft fascinating, because they are informed and non-traditional. WHY does he have Makar at No. 1? My system suggests Makar is in fact one of the 10 best prospects in the draft, but No. 1? And Heiskanen? Fantastic and fascinating. I’ll have to have him on in the coming days.

CAM TALBOT

This blog loves hockey and writes about the game twice a day, rain or shine. The blog’s author hopes for an exchange of thoughts and ideas in the comments section and tries to bring you interesting and thought provoking views. It is not necessarily an opinion blog, more a ‘share your opinion’ blog.

The great mystery for me, in hockey terms, is goaltending. It’s like the final frontier (outer space times the deep blue sea) and even after all of these years my analysis of goalies ranges from ‘what a save!’ to ‘why didn’t he make the save?’ and I doubt there is much progression to come.

I can say, without hesitation, that in 50+ years of watching the hockey, every great playoff run included a goalie doing exactly what Cam Talbot is doing currently for the Edmonton Oilers. That isn’t really analysis, but it is what I can bring to you. Cherish this experience, and credit Talbot with an enormous amount of this growing story. Goalies. Man.

610 Responses to "2017 PLAYOFFS (G9): G3 DUCKS AT OILERS"

« Older Comments
  1. Chachi says:

GMB3: Chachi is very right for a change. I might write about this in my diary

I’ve already had it engraved on a plaque.

2. frjohnk says:

Not surprised the daggers are coming out for EBERLE. I said it a few games ago, if the Nuge line does not score, some of the fans and media will be on them. EBERLE is the first guy as he is not as good as Nuge defensively or tough like Lucic.

Being good defensively or being tough probably buys those two 1 more game before the daggers are out for them.

Yes, they have had good shot shares and chances but that line has gotta score. 27 games between the 3 of them. 0 even strength goals.

3. Pescador says:

JDI Хоккей:
    I had a few beers last night.

Define few

4. Scungilli Slushy says:

The next game will tell a lot. If they are quick studies and look to succeed on their assignments first and make the basic plays I think they will have a better chance to exploit the Ducks’ main areas of weakness – their young banged up D and older key players.

If they keep running around. leaving players and lanes open and being on the wrong side of players trying to force things and making low percentage attempts to get alone past players they’ll be trouble. They may still win this series because playoffs, but in the next two rounds i don’t like the chances.

Anaheim is playing in a way that the Oilers need to get pucks deep consistently (which they fail at too much) and be on the defensive side of the puck and jam up breakouts, keep the puck int the O zone as long as possible. Eventually scoring chances come from that and less attacks against. It also disrupts the Fowl’s flow and makes them work far harder.

I also see too many players mishandling pucks and losing possession. Many wingers are not getting pucks past the player into a good area a lot. My take is while they aren’t panicking they are forcing and rushing plays.

Here’s hoping to see simple plays executed and focusing on winning the play at hand and not thinking about what comes after it.

I’m not worried about Talbot, if the team takes a step forward I think he will be helped and can focus on his positional game where he gets hard to beat.

5. JDI Хоккей says:

Pescador: Define few

More than the number of Cup banners hanging in the Honda Center.

6. who says:

jp: I’d have liked to see them fight too, but what I saw was Manson backing away and staying out of reach. Imo trying to draw 2 and wouldn’t have dropped his gloves. Pretty sure Lucic wanted to go.

Frustrating, yes, but imo the right move at that point. The Oilers did come back to tie it after all.

Anyway, that’s all just my take.

frjohnk:
    Not surprised the daggers are coming out for EBERLE.I said it a few games ago, if the Nuge line does not score, some of the fans and media will be on them.EBERLE is the first guy as he is not as good as Nuge defensively or tough like Lucic.

Yes, they have had good shot shares and chances but that line has gotta score. 27 games between the 3 of them.0 even strength goals.

Eberle had the primary assist on the winning goal in game 2. The fans and the coach seem to have forgotten this. And it doesn’t fit Spector’s narrative where he wants to see all the original Austin’s get shipped out of town and blamed for the decade of darkness (instead of Lowe and MacT).

Eberle probably is not part of the core nor part of the McDavid cluster. So his days as an OIler are naturally numbered unless he is willing to re-sign with a big hometown discount. But there is no reason to run him out of town.

8. frjohnk says:

who: I think you have to look at the big picture. At that point a comeback was unlikely and Manson is clearly calling him on so I doubt he gets the extra 2. Regardless I think a message needed to be sent there and if we are not going to use Lucic’s best skill in a situation like that then his signing was a huge mistake.

Cant fight a guy that is not willing to. Manson may have called him on but was skating away. Manson was clearly trying to draw a penalty. Ducks were up 3-0, why would he fight? If Lucic drops his gloves, Manson was skating backwards and the linesmen would have intervened before any fight. Then it would have been a penalty for the Oilers.

The Ducks are playing two rookies on defense. Vatanen was in his first game back from injury. Fowler in his third. Lindholm has been banged up, and is probably playing hurt. Bieksa is out.

Manson is not going to fight and take himself off the ice for an extended period of time in that situation.

The Ducks are nasty, and have more than a full share of d^$#%bags, but they are not dumb.

10. who says:

frjohnk: Cant fight a guy that is not willing to.Manson may have called him on but was skating away. Manson was clearly trying to draw a penalty. Ducks were up 3-0, why would he fight?If Lucic drops his gloves, Manson was skating backwards and the linesmen would have intervened before any fight.Then it would have been a penalty for the Oilers.

Man I can’t believe I am on the pro fight side of an argument. But I have played enough competitive hockey to know when you have to drop em. Let’s not pretend that we aren’t paying Lucic 6 mil a year to do this once in a while.
    That contract was given to him because he’s the biggest, baddest SOB in the league. Once in a while he’s got to be that guy. I am grateful he’s not running around the ice cheap shotting everyone and trying to pick a fight every game, but like I said, there’s a time and a place.
    I bet Chia was expecting him to fight in that situation.

« Older Comments