DON’T YOU LOVE FARCE?

What had been merely suspected has now become fact: Randy Carlyle has run out of ideas.

• Carlyle‘To me it seems like there is somewhat of a white-glove treatment for Mr. McDavid. The restrictions on anybody touching him seems to be a little bit higher than normal. It’s fact. Simple. We review the tape numerous times. He does draw penalties, because of his speed. But if you don’t get close to him and you’re not inside of him, you’re going to watch him or you’re going to try and impede his progress.’ Source

This would be an unusual quote from any NHL coach about an opponent. For Randy Carlyle, it’s beyond rich. Look, here’s what you need to know: Since the instigator rule, there’s no real way to protect the Connor McDavid’s of the world. The NHL wants all players, all teams, to sacrifice in order to win the Stanley Cup. That means going into tough areas and paying the price. To downplay it, or suggest special treatment, rings untrue. I suspect panic and the lack of ideas. Maybe Mr. Carlyle will think of something in the morning.

BAKERSFIELD

Three AHL signings for 2017-18 by the Bakersfield Condors today:

• R Chad Butcher, Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL). Small winger (5.10, 172) was a Penticton invite one year ago. Speed main weapon, he posted more than 100 points this year.
  • R Dave Gust, Ohio State (NCAA). He is 23, 5.10, 174 and had a big college season (39gp, 18-23-41).
  • L Evan Polei, Red Deer Rebels. A big man (6.02, 227) who improved as his WHL career went along. Scored 30+ this past season.

We spoke just yesterday about the need to add forwards at the AHL level. These three men give us some idea about the plan. Polei is probably the most interesting prospect, Gust the least well known. None of them should be considered a strong prospect for an NHL contract, but the Oilers have signed a few (Mark Arcobello, Charles Linglet) over the years.

60 Responses to "DON’T YOU LOVE FARCE?"

1. cc says:

I completely agree with you LT. Tell tale sign!

2. AZOIL says:

Going to game 5 in Anaheim!!! I bought flights months ago before I knew the playoff schedule and had to arrange it that I had a layover at LAX this Friday night until the am. It was meant to be, bored with nothing to do in LA and the Oilers are in town for game 5.

3. geowal says:

I do enjoy farce 😉

4. Professor Q says:

Which worries me, though.

The Ducks could be on the verge of unravelling.

Whether that leads to an Atomic Condition with Desperate Ducks trying anything they haven’t already or a McDavid Goal-Scoring Potpourri remains to be seen.

5. cc says:

I might also add, I disagree with all the Ebs haters. There were a number of players who were drive-by including McD. And it plays out many times over with every team at some point when they have a 2 game lead going home. But I will agree in part with Craig Button; Ebs has to start producing more moving forward.

6. D says:

If Talbot stopped that fourth goal, the Oilers might have won Game 3 (not blaming Talbot, he’ll bounce back and he is the rock that held this team together for the playoffs). Carlyle likely suspects that the Ducks are toast after Game 5. Oilers in 5. AZOIL – you might see the handshakes live.

7. stener says:

Randy’s been breathing a bit too deep in Kelowna

8. Scungilli Slushy says:

AZOIL:

What’s it like to be bored in LA with nothing to do and money to spend? Asking for a friend.

9. Scungilli Slushy says:

stener:
    Randy’s been breathing a bit too deep in Kelowna

Or he found some biker friends and is not coping well.

10. wheatnoil says:

I posted this on twitter but that Carlyle quote is pure gold. I don’t even really understand what he’s saying but it reads like he just contradicts himself. He accuses the refs of calling too many penalties on McDavid and then goes on to say the way he plays causes you to have to interfere with him to stop him… which is a penalty.

I think our own Rex summed up Carlyle on McDavid best: “He’s too fast and that’s not fair.”

11. The Trade Guy says:

Its getting warm out. Perhaps Randy’s brain is getting sweaty.

12. Georges says:

Good one, Randy. Good one.

The Ducks are the last of the Pacific Division walking dead we have to brain.

13. jasperavenue says:

Possibly many of you have read this article, or were at the game, I was not. This is a good for Edmonton article about the fans singing the US national anthem.
    Jones has a quote from the Ducks owners Ducks owners Henry and Susan Samueli
    You’ll be proud, I was, am.

14. AZOIL says:

D,

I am hoping!

15. AZOIL says:

Scungilli Slushy,

Not sure what your asking. Obviously there is lots to do in LA but my layover is only from 5pm to 2am so it really worked out perfect to grab an uber to the game and back!

16. Jon K says:

It would not surprise me if this was simply Carlyle laying the groundwork for the Ducks clutching, hooking, spearing, and impeding McDavid more than they already have been. Psychologically he’s trying to make refs question their decision making in that split second when they see a possible infraction against McDavid.

The Ducks are an easy team to hate from every possible perspective. Entitled, arrogant, dirty, and good.

Hope the Oilers bury them. Preferably on the power play.

17. Nuclear leak says:

Randy cries per 60 is truly phenomenal

Waaa waaa waaa would be the subtitles if Randy was an anime.

Your boy Getzlaf gets away with murder every shift but let’s cry about Mcdavid draw a penalty out of every 10 infractions thrown at him

Randy Waaa Waaa

18. Scungilli Slushy says:

Don Cherry thinks the Niskanen hit was on purpose, A have to agree, a clear cross check to the head on s falling player.

19. Nuclear leak says:

Randy is just presenting alternative facts

20. hockeyguy10 says:

AZOIL,

Just a heads up. A lot of road construction going on. Last Friday was 2 1/2 hrs from Arcadia to Anaheim starting about 3:30.

21. spoiler says:

Sometimes the shorter articles are the better ones. A stinging rejoinder, LT. Nice to see and a pleasure to read… brought a smile to my face.

22. Stelio Kontos says:

Randy Carlyle is Fake News.

23. Stelio Kontos says:

D:
    If Talbot stopped that fourth goal, the Oilers might have won Game 3 (not blaming Talbot, he’ll bounce back and he is the rock that held this team together for the playoffs).Carlyle likely suspects that the Ducks are toast after Game 5.Oilers in 5.AZOIL – you might see the handshakes live.

I still maintain that my view from the bar was significant enough to say it was offside.

24. jp says:

Wow, looks like NHL coaches are not above promoting alternative facts either. Amazing!

25. slurve says:

McLellan should start stating the refs do not call enough on cross checking after face offs, interference on McDavid, missed tripping calls on RNH etc.

26. Acumen says:

Google Translate:

“Well, the problem with this guy is you can’t stop him in any legal way and then they have the audacity to call penalties when we maul him. It’s just not fair.”

27. jp says:

AZOIL:

That’s awesome, have fun!!

Hope you see a series clinching goal from EBERLE!!

28. treevojo says:

Remember when Bieksa ran into his own teammate in that first game.

That was awesome.

29. Acumen says:

Honestly, bringing his name out in the media in such a negative way is just a bad move for Randy. If he thinks Connor will be cowed or irritated to the point he’s thrown off his game, he hasn’t been paying attention. The kid is made of steel.

I’ve seen him laugh in the face of people trying to goad him, and I’ve seen him relentlessly chirp that idiot , Manning, who did him dirty.

And he got downright nasty with the boys in San Jose last round. Ask Sorenson.

To a man, the boys seemed to be less awestruck and tentative against San Jose. Could be for any number of reasons: more points in the regular season, a healthy respect from the coach, or just the fact that they’re composed more of competitors than straight up bullies.

The last thing Anaheim needs is for our guys to say “Fuck these pricks, let’s put them in their place.” We have the talent, the muscle and the mindset to do so, but that switch hasn’t been turned on yet.

Game 4 is gonna be as glorious and horrible as urban warfare.

30. jp says:

Nuclear leak,

Sorry, didn’t mean to just repeat your post!

31. Pretendergast says:

Old man yells at cloud, nothing to see here.

Going to game 5 in Anaheim, will enjoy Walt’s house and playoff hockey, could not be more excited.

32. Mr. D. says:

People who blame one player are idiots. There are typically 4 other guys who contribute to the lines success or failure. Ebs has ALWAYS been one dimensional so what’s new with his defensive play. Problem is his scoring and he can’t do that by himself.

cc:
    I might also add, I disagree with all the Ebs haters.There were a number of players who were drive-by including McD.And it plays out many times over with every team at some point when they have a 2 game lead going home.But I will agree in part with Craig Button; Ebs has to start producing more moving forward.

33. jp says:

Mr. D.:

Also, while he will always be a bit one dimensional his defensive play actually IS better this year.

34. dustrock says:

We went pretty far in the regular season playing catenaccio, holding the fort defensively, and relying on McDavid and Winger A and Joe Player to counterattack and win games. It worked, sometimes, for Italy, but it always depends on the opponent.

I think they should bring back the punishing forecheck and maybe put Drai on 3C again. Anaheim’s D is skilled but not as tough as SJ’s IMHO.

35. Stelio Kontos says:

Jon K:

Hope the Oilers bury them. Preferably on the power play.

I think he honestly believes it. He is the definition of old school hockey, where unsubstantiated narratives reign supreme. McDavid is some upstart whiner who gets whatever he asks for, and needs to be taught a lesson about playing in the bigs.

36. barmstrong says:

Did Randy just publicly criticize NHL officiating?

It’s simple fact that the restrictions on anybody touching him are over enforced.

There’s sure to be no fine because… Ducks

37. JDI Хоккей says:

slurve: What, Randy has become the Trumpster at muddying the waters and offering his versions of fake news.

We can’t drain the swamp, so let’s FILL IT WITH OIL!

38. Gordies Elbow says:

Back in around 1982 or 83, I attended the Carlyle-Fisher hockey school held at Londonderry arena in north Edmonton.

It was a great hockey school, like the one in Penticton my brother went to about the same time.

For Mr. Carlyle, as a young defender, I tried to soak up the knowledge he had. He had won the Norris trophy, which impressed my Dad, which in turn, impressed me even more (very few non-Oilers impressed my Dad around that time 😉

One thing I remember about that camp, was him telling us “Never cheat on a play, never cheat on your team. ”

PS: At that camp, they played the last game of the 72 summit series on film, in a classroom in ME LaZerte. First time that I’d seen that game, and it will stick with me forever. I’ve always had a soft spot for Mr. Carlyle because of that.

39. Derek says:

The other face of the NHL was just knocked out of the playoffs due to a questionable hit to the head. Randy is just calling out the refs before they attempt to cut down on the bullshit being committed to the leagues other superstar out west.

40. Scungilli Slushy says:

Justice often comes at a price. Beat them on the scoreboard and we’ll see what happens then.

41. vishcosity says:

AZOIL:
    Scungilli Slushy,

Maybe ask the driver to take the PCH from LAX to Long Beach before hitting the 405? If you want some nutso eye candy, ask him to take the bridge over Terminal Island. (It will only really work on the way there on the way there because sunlight.)

Consider leaving your wallet in El Sugundo.

42. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Gordies Elbow,

– Great post LT: love the old-schooly “post quote, get the fans riled up”. Brilliant & effective!

– Awesome story Gordie: love the description of your Dad, and a nice bit on Carlye: some forget how good of a D he was (waayyy better than Kevin Lowe, minus the cups of course)

43. gogliano says:

Scungilli Slushy:

Cherry has a screw loose but I think he’s right on this. Niskanen strongly braces for the cross check as opposed to collapsing once Crosby’s head is smashing into his stick. That’s intent. Split second intent but intent nonetheless.

44. VOR says:

Mr. D,

This isn’t meant as a shot at you. I agree wholeheartedly that in any team sport the team wins or the team loses and blaming one specific player flies in the face of the reality of in game dynamics. I am hesitant to call the haters idiots.

As I read through these last two threads and also all of the MSM bashing of Eberle I realized I fundamentally don’t get haters. Why would anyone put all that effort into being negative? I honestly don’t get it. However, whatever the reason for their trash talking I I don’t think the people attacking Eberle can be fans of the Oilers and I am going to explain why.

I’ve coached for more than 40 years at various levels in a number of different sports. I started off in technical coaching, moved into strength and training and have spent the last twenty years working on the mental aspects of human performance and training. I have even taught coaching theory at university and in the NCCP.

In all that time I have yet to meet an athlete at any level (and yes I have worked one on one with many pros) who perform better as a result of being criticized. It doesn’t matter much if that criticism is being levelled by a coach, team mates, or the media. Once it gets inside the athletes head it is invariably negatively correlated with performance.

So if you were really a fan of the Oilers the last thing you would be doing is crapping on one of the team’s key players, or any player for that matter. Thus, hating an individual player in public forums means you can’t be a fan of the team that player plays for. Maybe I am missing something and people who disagree with can feel free to point out where they think my analysis goes wrong but I don’t think you will find much research that supports trash talking an athlete as an effective motivator of performance improvement.

45. bendelson says:

That’s the most ridiculous embellishment call I’ve ever seen against Subban… well done NHL.
    You can’t give Nashville back-to-back power plays considering they scored on the first one! That would be just silly.

46. Johnny skid says:

VOR: So if you were really a fan of the Oilers the last thing you would be doing is crapping on one of the team’s key players, or any player for that matter. Thus, hating an individual player in public forums means you can’t be a fan of the team that player plays for.

i bet yakupov agrees with this comment.

47. N64 says:

VOR: I don’t think you will find much research that supports trash talking an athlete as an effective motivator of performance improvement

48. flyfish1168 says:

Getzlaf is getting double white glove treatment. From the refs and us. Going after him with a few stick jabs and slashes to the back of his knee or ribs should be mandatory.

49. Bulging Twine says:

Derek:

My thoughts as well

50. spoiler says:

Really don’t want to play the Preds.

51. Stelio Kontos says:

N64: If I understand the GOAT hunter tribe they want to motivate players and often the GM who aquired their GOAT out of town. Think of them as fantasy fans.

52. Lloyd B. says:

VOR:
    Mr. D,

Trash talking any staff never works. Never mind high performance athletes.

The issue lies with sound bites. Two words. Not enough.

Is he wrong? Nope. The Oilers need more offence from Eberle.

It has not hurt them so far but will if he doesn’t start getting offensive contributions…. soon.

That is all McLellan said.

That is not negative, it is true.

We complain like crazy here when all we here is blah blah blah from the coaches.

For once we hear a solid comment and we’re complaining about it.

Good grief.

53. highgloveside says:

Love the signings

Polei, LW is 228 lbs and lead his team in goals and PIMS ranks 28th in the league in goals. – skill with size is awesome, not sure about his skating

Butcher, RW has speed to burn. I wouldnt call him small, I would call him Kane size. leading his team with 103 mts and still had 75 pims so he has a edge. Ranked 4th in the leage in Pts and 3rd in goals

Gust RW – speedy and had 41 pts in 39 games in Big 10 which is a fantastic season ranking tied for 5th in the league in scoring, tied 8th in goals, 2nd in PP goals, 3rd in PP points, 8th in shots. This is the league, not his team

These may never have NHL careers but is is bringing more skill to the team than it has seen in over 15 years. You need scoring depth on the farm to help develop your offensive prospects.

Can’t wait for the Spencer Foo signing announcement

54. Professor Q says:

Stelio Kontos: As a basketball fan, I hate how the oilogosphere uses the term GOAT. It means greatest of all time.

Only as an acronym. In the other context, it is the short form of scapegoat.

55. Gret99zky says:

Correction: Boxing (see Muhammad Ali)

56. dangilitis says:

McLellan should get there for next presser and have Rishaug ask him what he thought of Carlyle’s comment.

Then he should state that its ironic because the ducks left these behind in the dressing room after game 3. Then pull out a pair of Mickey mouse mitts and ask the media for these to be returned to Randy, and a single white glove covered with rhinestones to be returned to Getzlaf

57. Pouzar says:

Why are refs picking ONE guy out of a scrum and calling penalties but cross-checking is a bona fide part of defending in the NHL? It’s f^cking bizarro world out there.

58. raventalon40 says:

jasperavenue:
    Jones has a quote from the Ducks owners Ducks owners Henry and Susan Samueli
    You’ll be proud, I was, am.

Jones does realize the sign was put up for the tornado right?

59. gogliano says:

Saying “not enough” isn’t trashing a player or negative commentary in my view. It’s an acknowledgment that the player is capable of bringing more to the table and that they’re an important part of the team.

gogliano:
    Saying “not enough” isn’t trashing a player or negative commentary in my view.It’s an acknowledgment that the player is capable of bringing more to the table and that they’re an important part of the team.

He didn’t say “not enough” when asked the same question about McDavid a few days earlier and Draisaitl a weak earlier.

He purposely fed a media feeding frenzy narrative being pushed.