2017 PLAYOFFS (G11): G5 OILERS AT DUCKS

If you read the msm, this series is already over. I get that, the Anaheim Ducks looked strong in their two games at Rogers. However, momentum has no church home of its own this spring, not in this series, and the Oilers have a story to tell. Yesterday’s papers don’t mean jack today.

All aboard the pain train, this weekend is going to be memorable. Tonight in Anaheim, Sunday in Edmonton, this series could be over by work on Monday. No team in this series has been able to win a home game, so don’t be surprised if the Ducks try to move the game to Phoenix.

I will tell you the Oilers are going to need superhero performances from Connor McDavid and Cam Talbot tonight, and a strong effort from all three pairings. Lots of talk about Ryan Getzlaf and coverage in the last 30 hours, I think Edmonton can solve that issue just by taking better care of the puck. Crisp passes, support, no cheating, nothing across the middle. Giddyup.

OILERS SCORING AND DEPTH CHART VS. ANAHEIM

• The series is even and the GF-GA is very close as well, the difference coming in overtime on Wednesday.
  • I think we’re seeing Connor McDavid get more open looks now, that’s a good thing. Can he outscore Ryan Getzlaf tonight?
  • Will Todd McLellan move Leon Draisaitl to center tonight? Speeds suggested a lineup that featured MacDavid (wingers Pouliot & Slepyshev), Nugent-Hopkins (Lucic & Kassian) and Draisaitl (Maroon & Eberle). Are you onside with that line? Fascinating idea.
  • If the hockey Gods are listening, a big night for the Nuge line and a strong showing by the top two pairings would be nice. Oh, and a win!
  • As mentioned above, superlative performances from Connor McDavid and Cam Talbot absolutely has to happen. No pressure!

Click on the ad to register, Ilya tells me there is a spring fling tournament coming up at Callingwood (still time to register!).

JESSE PULJUJARVI

The difficult draft+1 season for Edmonton’s top choice in the 2016 draft continues this weekend, with JP apparently on the bench for the first game at WHC’s. Puljujarvi is the second youngest player in the tournament, so perhaps that is less of a surprise than it should be for Oilers fans. He is easily the top prospect in the system, but may require more seasoning based on how his season rolled out. Is he better off playing in Europe, or spending another season in the AHL where he may not receive a feature role? Playing time is always a concern for Oilers prospects. If only the club had an AHL team under their control. Hockey30 has JP being shopped, I am dubious about the accuracy of that rumor. You can view the boxscores from games at the WHC’s here.

ETHAN BEAR

Ethan Bear is the No. 2 prospect in the system, and this week was named the WHL Defenseman of the Year. His progress since draft day 2015 has been very impressive, and he addresses an area of extreme need (RHD) in the organization. His offense in junior suggests he is one of the most promising players in the system, no matter the position. Here are the top 10 NHLE’s in the organization for 2016-17:

1. Anton Slepyshev 14-34-48
  2. Jujhar Khaira 13-19-32
  3. Jesse Puljujarvi 13-18-31
  4. Joe Gambardella 13-18-31
  5. Tyler Vesel 12-18-30
  6. Joey Laleggia 17-11-28
  7. Tyler Benson 7-21-28
  8. Ethan Bear 9-14-23 (leading defenseman)
  9. Ryan Mantha 7-16-23
  10. Caleb Jones 3-19-22

STAN WEIR!

• Stan Weir doesn’t wash his clothes, he disembowels them.
  • When Stan Weir was born he drove his mom home from the hospital.
  • Stan Weir can kill two stones with one bird.
  • There once was a street called Stan Weir, but the name was changed for public safety because nobody crosses Stan Weir and lives.
  • Big Foot claims he saw Stan Weir.
  • Stan Weir can strangle you with a cordless phone.
  • Stan Weir makes onions cry.
  • Stan Weir once bowled a perfect game. With a marble.
  • Cars look both ways before Stan Weir crosses the street.
  • Death once had a near-Stan-Weir experience.
  • Stan Weir can follow you into a revolving door and come out ahead of you.
  • Stan Weir will bring us winning, riches untold and shapely women prone to making terrible decisions.
  • Ladies and gentlemen, Stan Weir!

Yep.

Perhaps an uptick of luck will be in the cards for Edmonton. Cam Talbot needs to stop 30 before he lets in one, and Connor McDavid is going to need to be brilliant for three periods. Todd McLellan needs to push that 97 line past 20 minutes on the night and fresh troops fresh troops fresh troops. Stay out of the penalty box, no half-assing, bear down on the special teams.

Interesting article from Frank Seravalli. I had him on the Lowdown yesterday, we spoke at length on several subject (Leon to center, Eberle leaving) and his article from last night has some interesting quotes and takeaways. I’m uncertain we can take anything from game to game, this series seems to have momentum shifts in 15-minutes increments. However, it is true that Edmonton’s play after the no-call goalie interference was poor. This is the kind of thing that playoff experience should solve, but this spring may end up being a lot about lessons learned and not about Oilers hockey deep into May. Important to remember though, even with these lessons being learned, the Oilers are tied 2-2 in the Pacific Division Finals. Don’t count out any possibility now, it might make you look foolish.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A complete show and lots of fun on the way. TSN1260, 10 this morning. Scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky, Big Mouth Sports. Oilers, Sens, Caps, Jays.
  • Matt Iwanyk, TSN1260. Point Counterpoint today involves moving Leon to center this evening.
  • Marshall Ferguson, TSN1150 Hamilton. CFL draft this weekend!
  • Paul Almeida, SSE. Paul will trade the entire Oilers team at 11:25.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

1,243 Responses to "2017 PLAYOFFS (G11): G5 OILERS AT DUCKS"

« Older Comments
  1. Side says:

Tonight’s weather forecast is…

Fair weather.

Oiler’s haven’t played a good game in the playoffs yet? That statement is almost as baffling as the refs.

2. Jon K says:

106 and 106:
    Jack Michaels‏Verified account @EdmontonJack5m5 minutes ago
    Anaheim’s season has ended in each of the last 4 years the exact same way: a Game 6 loss on the road, followed by a Game 7 defeat at home.

Sounds like a great storyline.

“A classic for the ages! Anaheim breaks their streak by defeating the up and coming upstart Oilers! Tune in next week and don’t miss a minute of the exciting showdown between two growing movements in Nashville and Anaheim!”

3. Thorin says:

Réal Goudenyéu: nah it’s the refs fault

To the regular posters: I don’t recognize the name Real Goudenyeu, is he a known troll? Would I be better off ignoring him?

4. 106 and 106 says:

Ice Sage,

Not over yet, bud.

5. Ice Sage says:

striatic:
    Kesler had more of a hold on Talbot for goal three than Draisaitl did on his penalty in the third. Them’s the breaks is one thing, but if one team is literally allowed to hold onto your goaltender’s leg, how is your goaltender supposed to play his position.

I don’t think this is WWE level. I think the refs were lazy and self righteous, rushed the review and missed the hold.

Rushed the review? LOL – that came from Mission Control, just like the 1st goal in Game 4. The fix is in.

6. Gret99zky says:

It seems McClellan teams are playoff chokers. Have to check the stats though.

*Looks up Kings vs. Sharks series 2014*

7. Professor Q says:

Not to mention the fact that the official NHL twitter has tweeted out about 5 tweets so far expressing their utmost excitement over Anaheim winning.

We get it. You’re happy Anaheim won. Move on already.

8. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Loch just picked himself up a fine

Talbot may have as well

Good on them

(Edit: I embellished a bit here. Talbot jut explained the play, Looch directly questioned a call so I could see him getting a fine.)

9. LMHF#1 says:

I guess I think this team is a lot better than most do. Oh well.

I can’t see them winning the next series now even if they somehow win in 7. They’re too drained. No run of wins like the ’06 team and no sign of it. Too bad. A finals or win this year would have gone so amazingly far in helping the next 5 years of this team.

Bed time.

10. BeerMe says:

Can’t wait to hear Gregor’s segment next week where he brings in the former NHL ref

11. Professor Q says:

LMHF#1:
    I guess I think this team is a lot better than most do. Oh well.

Bed time.

If you think the team is a lot better than most do, then why are you saying they’re going to fail when others are saying the opposite?

12. Ice Sage says:

106 and 106: Oh, I’m not ruling out the possibility of the Oilers winning the series.
    It’s just that, at every juncture where an outside influence is allowed (goal review, penalty allocation, maybe even ejection of player) you will see it favouring Anaheim, which has a material influence on the score as well as a cumulative chilling effect. I’d love to be proven wrong, but the NHL has blown 2 crucial calls so far in this series… we should be talking about a 4-1 Oiler series win tonight!

13. Thorin says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    Loch just picked himself up a fine

Talbot may have as well

Good on them

Thanks for posting this. For the first time ever, I’m staying up to watch the postgame interviews. McLellan is pretty political and very positive about the team. I’m wanting to find out what Lucuc and Talbot say.

14. Zeabs93 says:

Thorin: So you’re saying goals count no matter how many rules the players are breaking, even the ones that say specifically, “if the players are doing this, the goal doesn’t count”? Like, you think the game should just have no rules? Because if you agree there should be rules, then I’m sure you can agree they should be enforced, right?

To the regular posters: I don’trecognize the name Real Goudenyeu, is he a known troll? Would I be better off ignoring him?

You’re right my man, don’t feed the troll. I fell for the same mistake unfortunately. Pretty much every one of his posts is him trashing the Oilers

15. Side says:

LMHF#1:
    I guess I think this team is a lot better than most do. Oh well.

Bed time.

Yeah the Oilers who beat the Sharks 4-2 and should have beat the Ducks 4-1 if it weren’t for horrendous calls, can be a lot better.

I hear the Oilers haven’t even played a good game in the playoffs yet….

16. StixMalone says:

Refs are refs. It’s the damn control room that doesn’t know shit. During regular season that goal would not have counted. FULL STOP……..

17. oilinthepeg says:

Still up. Been through all the stages. Now at ‘laughing maniacly’. This is weird.
    WE MADE THE PLAYOFFFFFSSSS!!!

This team could still do this.
    Seems fairly unlikely at this point, but what is important to remember is that it is far more likely than what just happened…

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Good night and GOILERS to y’all.

18. Thorin says:

Lucic said enough questioning and disparaging things to get fined, probably. I don’t see how Talbot’s words could be interpreted that way, he’s just answering questions in a neutral tone.

Ultimately what has to happen is Katz has to realize how much ticket money he’s gonna miss out on (one or two more series) because of the inconsistent and downright poor officiating, and then he can call his buddies Gary and Bill and tell them to tell the officials to do their jobs properly.

After all, in the end pro sports are all about money.

19. spoiler says:

McDavid: “We’ll be back here on Wednesday.”

TMac with a great post-game.

He was pissed that Russell had to sit in the quiet room for 10 minutes but the Duck only sat for two.

20. spoiler says:

Larsson’s 42 minutes is the most by an NHL player this season.

21. Stelio Kontos says:

We blew a 3 goal lead, and that is pretty reflective of our lack of balance. Draisaitl is trying, but gets lost in the defensive zone. We need some more horcoffs.

The 3-3 goal was a problem, but we should not have let then into that position. The problem with the NHL replay is 100% NHL mentality. Same reason most of the leagues decisions are bush league. I’m not sure whether the ruling was trying to not decide a game directly, or if it was protection integrity of the officials, or what bs. The NFL would be crucified for something like this, and their main focus is getting it right. This arrogance and ignorance drives me nuts. You see it in all NHL decisions.

The NHL is embarrassing. The stars have to put up with so much hacking, clutching, and grabbing. It’s an embarrassment. I think Carlyle’s comment that was basically “how else can you stop Connor?” was very indicative of NHL mentality. Just call the rules, the players will adapt. They did in 06, then refs took their finger off the trigger.

The only problem is old boys with their head in the mud. The skill level is so high now, that the league should be growing like wildfire, but for some reason, we want to watch cheating.

22. nelson88 says:

I went into this game hoping TMac would bring in Lander or even Khaira to change the momentum. Win some face offs and/or bring in a big body to play up tight against Getzlaf.

Says something when we are losing the coaching match up to Randy Carlyle.

23. jake70 says:

Had to go to bed for 3rd + overtimes, just finished watching. So, that happened. Unbelievable.

24. vishcosity says:

I went to bed at 3-0. Woke up to see crazy texts. Just watched the replay of the GTG and am unconditionally convinced that another ‘conspiracy theory’ has been proven true, again.

Fuck this league.

25. jake70 says:

I am on my way to work in a few minutes……..man I am just seething now as I have been thinking about it……..lol….poor colleagues today.

26. vishcosity says:

You know? This is probably it for me. My kid, in this his draft year, clearly isn’t getting drafted. Instead he’s got a great work ethic and I love the directing he’s heading. LT- Thanks for putting up with me, and only deleting a few of my posts that clearly had nothing to do with hockey. If you or any of the long time posters are in central california, and dare call, we’ll probably put you up.

Bag of Pucks – I’m buying your book. Wish there was a way besides Amazon.

As it started as personal accomplishment day, our google page just crossed 1 000 000 views:
    @architecturalphotographyUSA

Thanks to everyone for the educations received.

27. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

vishcosity,

– I woke up late at cottage in Ontario. It was 3-0 when I went to bed was just going to pat myself on back for next goal wins serious.

– just win Sunday baby

28. Pouzar says:

So what happened last night?

29. russ99 says:

nelson88,

It should be pretty obvious to Chiarelli that our forward group needs some reworking over the summer.

30. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Well that was gut wrenching.

44:58 TOI, Adam Larsson is a fucking legend what a performance!

No matter what happens we have this guy locked up for 4 more years at under $4.2 million with a no movement clause kicking in a few, victory!

I’ve got a rotten taste in my mouth this morning and a sadistic grin on my face

Ooof felt like 2006 all over again, defeat snatched from the jaws of victory.

Blowing that lead was terrible, devastating. Like we actually set a record for choking… Ouch

Letestu… That clearing attempt… I just.. Ouch

That last play, routine clear up the glass, Darnell misses the bouncer and of course it goes to Getzlaf… Ouch

Video review… The best part if all of this starts to cascade after Carlyle’s “white glove” comment.. Ouch

But its over now, series is 3-2 and the last two games were finished in overtime

Its as close as it could possibly be

How far can they push this? It’s their first elimination game. There has to be an “us against the world” mentality now isn’t there?

This season has been all about the slaying of demons past. And the Ducks have their own demons at this juncture.

Biggest missing piece this entire round IMO has been a sense of urgency from the Oilers.

Hopefully they find it on the flight home

Sunday will be great.

31. Admiral Ackbar says:

The NHL lost a fan last night, after 30 years. This level of ineptitude/corruption I could protest if it were a government. From entertainment, however, I can’t waste my time on such a cause.

LT! I love your writing and will continue reading. Thank you for all you’ve done and continue to do. You are my Stan Weir.

32. Gret99zky says:

Admiral Ackbar:

Same.

I won’t be watching on Sunday. This league, with its shenanigans, does not deserve an audience.

Good luck men. Hope they find a way to the next round.

33. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– can I have a quick coles notes version of how we let in 4 goals? I’m moving stuff today haven’t had a chance to read anything and of course I’m Toronto they won’t talk about the game on radio. Very frustrating.

– I was up for first two periods. Feeling good going into 3rd like everyone.

34. gogliano says:

The most damning part of that video review was how little time they spent on it.

5 minute reviews for ticky tack offsides in the middle of regular season blowouts. Game 5 of the Pacific Division finals? 10 seconds, tops, with no apparent awareness of the actual issue that should have been under review (again! because game 4 I’m relatively certain they missed or ignored the blocker interference).

35. Pouzar says:

Gret99zky: I won’t be watching on

Welcome to the club.

36. 813.52Ran says:

I’ll be watching Sunday, of course. But no longer as a fan, just for the three hours entertainment. Turn on TV at 5:00. Turn off TV at 8:00.

After being so upset last night, there is almost a serenity in realizing the NHL is not really a sport like NFL, MLB, or NBA. Just think of the NHL more as wrestling or roller derby.

When I found out Santa Claus wasn’t real, Christmas became much less stressful. The NHL is to sports what Santa Claus is to reality. No wonder most Americans don’t give a crap about it.

I’m going outside to build a deck.

37. Seismic Source says:

I live in Thailand. I’m just glad that I illegally stream games.

38. Bruce Wayne says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    – can I have a quick coles notes version of how we let in 4 goals?I’m moving stuff today haven’t had a chance to read anything and of course I’m Toronto they won’t talk about the game on radio. Very frustrating.

– I was up for first two periods. Feeling good going into 3rd like everyone.

Imagine the unluckiest three minutes you can imagine and you won’t be far off.

Puck bounces off Draisatl’ ass.
    Shot from the point through traffic.
    Mad, mad, scramble, puck squeaks under Talbot, replay, controversy.
    Corey fucking Perry with a beauty.

So, so, brutal.

39. Chelios is a Dinosaur says:

Oilers in 7.

McDavid is a legend.

This is going to be so much sweeter than we could have imagined, at this point.

40. commonfan14 says:

Bruce Wayne: Puck bounces off Draisatl’ ass.

Shades of the 1-0 goal in G7 ’06 off Jason Smith’s ass.

41. Pouzar says:

So men with iPads……iPads…….are supposed to overturn their on ice decision in front of millions.
    Alrighty then. Great system.

42. Bruce Wayne says:

That was absolutely brutal. A punch in the gut.

That said, I feel a hundred times better than the day Hall was traded. I am not ever going to get over that. If they win on Sunday, I’ll get over this.

That was a game for the ages, McClellan got the lines right, gutty performance from the D, Lucic is the worst player on the ice. Fandom, slowly coming back.

Instant replay is an abomination in every sport. I laugh at the notion the NFL gets it “right.” They can’t even define a catch.

You can’t have instant replay for plays like goaltender interference or offside that works. It is impossible.

43. Seismic Source says:

This game was deflating. Blame goes to the tying goal. But we did have almost 4 minutes of an empty net. Yes let’s burn the refs, they deserve it. When that’s done let’s address the team.

« Older Comments