ABOUT JESSE

Jesse Puljujarvi is not enjoying a strong World Hockey Championships. Early in the tournament, he wasn’t getting any playing time. Once given a chance, he looked dangerous and dynamic. Several games later, he remains pointless and scoreless. Jesse Puljujarvi does this a lot, far more than you’d like to see from a player with his clear natural gifts. Can Jesse Puljujarvi score goals?

• Friday May 5: 0:00 TOI versus Belarus
  • Sunday, May 7: 5:37 TOI, 2 shots, six shifts versus France (looked good)
  • Monday, May 8: 13:20 TOI, 4 shots, 16 shifts versus Czech
  • Wednesday, May 10: 15:27 TOI, 4 shots, 21 shifts versus Slovakia
  • Saturday, May 13: 13:12 TOI, 1 shot, 17 shifts versus Finland
  • Boxcars: 5gp, 0-0-0
  • Average TOI: 9:20
  • Shots on goal: 11

Finland has a poor team this year, and some accounts suggest a coach who may be in over his head. In the game I saw Puljujarvi he was brilliant, but the concerns I have about his goal-scoring ability continue to brew on a rather high boil.

JESSE PULJUJARVI NHLE

• Age 16: 82gp, 32-16-48
  • Age 17: 82gp, 6-7-13
  • Age 18: 82gp, 13-18-31

Age 16 JP was in Finland’s junior league, no doubt getting plenty of playing time. In his draft year, Puljujarvi played in Sm-Liiga, and his ice-time (15:04) was truly substantial for a player his age. Puljujarvi’s point total (15-13-28) was good enough to rank No. 58 in league scoring (Patrik Laine ranked No. 35 with 33 points). Puljujarvi had 14 shots per 60 minutes in the Sm-Liiga last year by my count (Laine was 19.10/60). Source

I think we learn very little from a short tournament like the WHC’s, and I am generally pleased with JP’s TOI total, plus he is getting shots on goal. I am impatient to see him post a grand total in the goals column and at this point it seems fair to point this out.

Which brings me to a question: At what point do the Oilers at least contemplate moving this player in order to maximize value? I am absolutely certain many of you will scream overreaction in the comments section, but this has reached the point of genuine concern for me. Does Jesse Puljujarvi bring enough offense to the game for us to consider him more than a complementary player? If this is true, is there value in at least contemplating making a move? I believe it is worth a conversation.

ETHAN RIFLES

Ethan Bear posted two more assists last night, as the Seattle Thunderbirds took a 3-2 series lead over the Regina Pats in the WHL Finals. His playoff boxcars (16gp, 6-18-24) represent terrific production and match his postseason numbers of one year ago (18gp, 8-14-22). I am seeing conversations surrounding Bear and possibly pushing for an NHL job this fall, and would put the brakes on that kind of expectation (were I part of those conversations).

Red Line report ranked Bear No. 81 in his draft year, giving a very positive review. RLR did say he needed to work on his coverage and he sometimes lost position looking for a big hit. We should always fall on the side of more seasoning when it comes to defensemen, and for Bear that mean Bakersfield. You can’t go fast enough to get there early.

CRAIG BUTTON’S MOCK

We are getting closer to draft day and lists are being finalized. Craig Button (who I respect as a scout, his independence is refreshing and his rankings are mostly quality) has a mock draft out and picked an outstanding name for Edmonton:

• 22. Edmonton Oilers: Kole Lind, RW, Kelowna (WHL) A highly skilled winger who plays at high pace and can score and threaten offensively. Source

I have Lind No. 21 on my list, so it matches up with Button’s thinking. I will have an updated list in the coming days. Button’s list is outstanding, cannot wait to see his final list.

REASONABLE EXPECTATIONS

With the season now over, I will redouble efforts to produce the RE series final 25 (or so) posts, including Peter Chiarelli and Todd McLellan. Milan Lucic will be up at 5pm local time today, and you may enjoy reading the three items that had already been produced:

110 Responses to "ABOUT JESSE"

1. supernova says:

Have you published your thoughts on Connor Timmins, Thomas or Suzuki?

At this stage I would take both of them over Lind at 21. I think Lind is a very decent prospect.

2. Ducey says:

Pretty sure you cannot take anything from:
    1) 4 games
    2) limited ice time
    3) quite likely no pp or offensive minutes
    4) on a poor team
    5) as one of the youngest players in the tournament

He is generating shots and looking good. He will be fine.

5 yrs, LT.

5 yrs.

3. DBO says:

If we use Draisatl at centre, then RW is our biggest need. And seeing Caggiula do relatively well with McDavid I think we need to treat any of his wi gets like crosbys. Puljujarvi is a bigger, more skilled version of Caggs. So him on McDavids wing, Eberle on Draistals wing, and we have two skilled players who will help.

I still feel Nuge will be the he to go. Especially if money is the driver of many decisions this summer, then if you can save $2 million on 3C replacing Nuge with Hanzal, you have to do it.

As for Bear. Please start him the minors.lots of playing time, PP and PK. He then becomes a call up or next years 3RD if he continues to grow. As LT said last night, don’t rush the kids. Find a reasonable vet short term. Hate or love him, Russell was s great signing for value and his worth was evident in the playoffs.

MOve Pou somehow not a buyout due to cap., Fayne you keep in minors since his deal falls off next year so we get that cap space for Connor. Add a Hanzal via trade or UFA. Add a solid 2RD that can add firepower to PP, but don’t blow our Cap with a Shattenkirk type at $6 mill. thats why the Nuge for Faulk deal makes sense if you can get Hanzal at $4 mill. Since Hanzal and Faulk end up near $8 million combined, only $2 mill more then Nuge alone. I love him as a player, but $6 mill 3C is tough to swallow. I’d take him over Hanzal, but don’t know if we can afford it.

Maroon. McDavid. Puljujarvi
    Lucic. Draisatl. Eberle
    Caggiula. Hanzal. Slepeshev
    Khaira. Letestu. Kassian

Klefbom. Larsson
    Sekera. Faulk
    Nurse. Benning

4. frjohnk says:

Some think JP is on the path of Draisaitl where they both struggled in the first year in the NHL.

But Draisaitl had a very good draft year on a shitty PA team.

Other than a 7 game tournament where he played with two very good talents ( Aho, Laine) JP has never really put much up in terms of points.

Even though Draisaitl struggled, he had a history of putting up points, JP not so much

Not saying JP wont be a player, but if we are looking for comparables he falls somewhere in the middle of Joel Armia and Alexander Barkov.

I wont be surprised if he spends some more time in the AHL next year.

5. Jethro Tull says:

Will the Looch RE bring Bruce Wayne back? Will we finally get a 7th rounder for him? And will this rain ever bugger off?

Ethan Bear is developing nicely. Let him. I would maybe give him a cup of coffee on a recall.

This season we actually had the depth at the NHL level to allow these young players to develop in the lower leagues. For too long these guys had to audition in the role they were already playing in.

6. McSorley33 says:

I too am.slightly, nervous about JP.

He was a part of the Top 3 of his draft class that was supposed to be in a league of their own…..Mathews and Laine sure are.

Again, as someone mentioned, having the Finnish CLB GM pass him by was interesting.

Having said all that,, he looks like a kid that needs time to grow into his body a little. Mathews , Lanie’s are the exceptions, not the rule.

Further, I feel JP can make a killing simply converting McDavid’s passes. I envision many one-timers from the slot – taking over the Letestu role on the PP.

Too much skill and talent for him not to succeed.

7. Jethro Tull says:

Some people here need to assimilate this. But i have a sinking suspicion that their first response will be, ironically, “no i don’t. It’s wrong.”

8. leadfarmer says:

Like everything else, if a good deal comes along you trade him and if not you keep him.

9. dustrock says:

IIRC the fear about Puljujarvi was that his 5v5 offence wasn’t great and people were shocked and awed by his WJHC dominance.

He didn’t have the point production of say Barkov, who is a great player for Florida but just now approaching Draisaitl’s numbers though he’s older.

The hard thing to assess with Puljujarvi is he’s not playing too often against his peer group. If he was back to juniors this year would he be dominating a la Leon? I’d think so.

Let’s not forget how much better he looked at the rookie tournament last year.

Let’s not forget his shot/point totals weren’t out of line with someone like Pastrnak.

Confidence is a major thing and I don’t think he has that right now.

10. Woogie63 says:

Way too early to guess what Jesse will be.

We go to the Penticton Young Stars each year, and I watched 20 ish Condor games this year. My thoughts on Jessie are,

1. Doesn’t stop and start, prefers to stay in motion with big looping turns, at this level he out position and can’t skate his way back into position.

2. Not strong enough, he is a tall skinny kid, he needs much more gym work to be a effective winger for TMacs system.

3. Team mates don’t trust him that the play doesn’t die on stick. Too many head down rushes when he gets the puck.

Unless this summer is a miracle he will start on the farm in the fall. But that is not a fail, it is 19 year skinny kid training and developing.

11. Rondo says:

I would like the Oilers to take Lias Andersson. He seems like the perfect fit, however probably won’t be available at #22.

12. trencan says:

I saw Puljujarva in the match against France and have to say he played really well. I saw also some games in SM liiga previous season and I still believe there is a top player who can drive his own line in the future, hope Oilers will be patient and dont make similar mistake like with Miro Satan in the past. Btw the matches on Wendsday was against Slovenia and Saturday against Norway but it really doesnt matter.

13. Diablo says:

I am going to reiterate this from last nights thread ….

It is very unlikely that Hanzal signs for less than 5 years x 5 million.
    This blog uses the past to inform the future right?
    Well last year a 32 year Franz Neilson got 6 years x 5.25 million from a cap-strapped Detroit – for better or (mostly) for worst, Neilson’s contract has set the market for centres of Hanzal’s ilk.
    With quality centres being almost as sparse as RHD, I guarantee there is at least 1 team who will offer Hanzal more than 4 million.

Given his (extensive) injury history, he is probably going to be a total lemon for whoever signs him.

14. frjohnk says:

As fans we tend to overrate our prospects. At the beginning of the Hall rebuild, we had Davidson, Gernat and Marincin who all scored very well draft +1 as Dmen.

Davidson 52 points in 69 games
    Marincin 56 points in 67 games
    Gernat 55 points in 60 games

All were taller than 6 foot 2 and decent skaters.

The AHL is a huge jump from the WHL, and then the NHL is another huge jump.

Out of Bear, Jones, Paigin, Mantha, we all see the positives that they will make the NHL and make an impact.

History suggests if two of them can make it, and 1 of them is top 4 that would be fantastic.

As for time frame, maybe 1 of them gets a cup of coffee at the end of the first year of pro. Maybe some spot duty at the end of year 2.

supernova:

Have you published your thoughts on Connor Timmins, Thomas or Suzuki?

I have them ranked with comments here.

16. McSorley33 says:

frjohnk,

Davidson 52 points in 69 games
    Marincin 56 points in 67 games
    Gernat 55 points in 60 games
    All were taller than 6 foot 2 and decent skaters.
    The AHL is a huge jump from the WHL, and then the NHL is another huge jump.
    If two of them can make it, and 1 of them is top 4 that would be fantastic.
    ***************************************************************
    Great points.

17. Woogie63 says:

I really don’t want to be the UFA market until August 15. Those early days are really expensive in dollars and term.

One Russell/ Versteeg type UFA pick up, one smart trade, and Mr. Foo, otherwise, same GM, coaches and team is a nice point to grow from.

18. Evilas says:

JP will be okay, he had a lot of adjustments to make this past year, language being the biggest one.

He was very impressive at the young stars tournament, more dominant than Cagguila. So why did Cagguila stick with the team and Puljujarvi did not? Language and experience….

It is likely he doesn’t make the team out of TC next year, but I think he will be on the roster at seasons end.

19. Evilas says:

frjohnk,

You are bang on, great post!

20. Diablo says:

Getting back to Jesse – at this point, with a year of development behind him and not a lot of progress made, it seems like he is going to be more like Joel Armia – in that he’s going to need a few years to mature enough to earn his way on to an NHL roster. His top end is probably higher than Armia, but we’re going to have to wait a while before we see it.

So yes, I’d trade him if the right deal came along – if Washington gets serious about moving Ovie or LA called and offered Doughty or Colorado was willing to move Duchene for a package that includes Jesse, I’d do it. But I’m not sentimental about prospects and home grown talent.

If you get one of those players, you can move out Eberle and or Nuge for other prospects and picks and keep signing college FAs to replenish the pipeline.

21. who says:

DBO:

Maroon. McDavid. Puljujarvi
    Lucic. Draisatl. Eberle
    Caggiula. Hanzal. Slepeshev
    Khaira. Letestu. Kassian

Klefbom. Larsson
    Sekera. Faulk
    Nurse. Benning

I just love how some people want to pay a 30 yr old Hanzal 4 mil or a 27 yr old Eberle 6 mil but think Nuge, who is twice the hockey player, is overpriced at 6 mil.
    He also fills the position of greatest need for the Oilers. We need another center and you want to trade the one we have.

22. Diablo says:

frjohnk:
    As fans we tend to overrate our prospects.At the beginning of the Hall rebuild, we had Davidson, Gernat and Marincin who all scored very well draft +1 as Dmen.

Davidson 52 points in 69 games
    Marincin 56 points in 67 games
    Gernat 55 points in 60 games

All were taller than 6 foot 2 and decent skaters.

The AHL is a huge jump from the WHL, and then the NHL is another huge jump.

As for time frame, maybe 1 of them gets a cup of coffee at the end of the first year of pro.Maybe some spot duty at the end of year 2.

Great post.

In fact I’d add that after the seasons that Jones and Bear just had (still having), their perceived value may never be higher. I wouldn’t trade Bear, just because RHD with his skill set are such a rare commodity, but I do consider Jones to be a prime trade asset this summer – though to be clear, I’d only move him if it helped to clear significant amounts of cap space or it brought back a high end talent.

23. 68goatcheese says:

I see Eberle as the guy moving on.

To me the top 6 should be;

Maroon McD Nuge
    Lucic Drai PoolParty

If we need an offensive push or late goal swap Drai and Nuge. I think he played better when he was pushed into #1 C as a kid then he plays now.

24. Diablo says:

Here’s a serious question – is Kole Lind a substantially better prospect than Spencer Foo?
    I’d prefer to draft Erik Bannstrom and sign Foo.

25. sliderule says:

Watched Jesse today and he didn’t do much 5 on 5

Was on for first power play and at center slot similar to Leon had four or five one time shot attempts.Unfortunatly as I see a lot all but one missed net.

Needs to worn shot accuracy and get a whole lot stronger .

26. frjohnk says:

Diablo: Great post.

The fanboy in me says
    Bear- oozes offense, right handed shot. Exactly what we need. Maybe pushes for a roster spot this fall.
    Jones- fantastic skater, played in the WJC’s. He might be most ready out of these 4 Dmen.
    Paigin, big and mobile, put up points in the KHL, he must be close to being ready, right?
    Mantha- big, mobile and skilled. Our Dougie Hamilton.

But in reality, Mantha may start in the ECHL. Paigin may need some time to adjust to the NA game. Jones and Bear may need some time to get bigger, faster and learn how to play defense against pro players.

27. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

leadfarmer,

– Great post LT

– Lead I agree with you as I often do! If we are to be a legit Cup contender next year, I think this team needs another Larson/Sek top-4 D, a winger for McD, and a 3C (if it’s not RNH)

– These are (in order of value), the chips he has to use IMO:

1) Pool-Party (if he’s not McD’s winger, and I’d hate to slot him in as such next year)
    2) RNH
    3) Nurse
    4) Ebs
    5) 1st rounder

– I can’t see simply staying pat with the D, and re-signing Russel/Gryba

– I also can’t see Chia relying on Caggs/Sleppy/Pitlick/Kass/Pool-party as the RW roster

– It’s a big ask but if he can improve the team as much as he did the last 2 off-seasons, we are right there, and one of the elite teams next season.

– With the Vegas draft, some GM’s will absolutely kill it this off-season: so many moving parts

– This off-season will define Chia’s tenure: he will have made all his bets, spent all his cap

28. anjinsan says:

Stop obsessing about Puljujarvi. He has to figure out his NHL-sized rink game. A coach/mentor like Krueger could help him do it.

29. supernova says:

Lowetide: I have them ranked with comments here.

Thanks LT,

I would have a tough time passing any of those 3 if they are available. Looks like you feel similar.

Many won’t like Timmins at 21 because “we don’t need a D” but Draft plus 5 is the retort.

Love the scouting reports I have read on him on skating, agility and hockey sense. Fantastic numbers as well

Diablo:
    I’d prefer to draft Erik Bannstrom and sign Foo.

31. Glass says:

frjohnk,

Paigin is the most ready and might even beat out Simpson for 1LD. His skating is not an issue, he has an excellent shot, is great defensively, and we know what he is capable offensively. Also is coming off two KHL seasons, which is a higher caliber than the WHL.

Paigin/Bear
    Simpson/Mantha
    Jones/Fayne

They probably want to feed a lot of playing time to Bear, each pairing has pro experience + some size.

Diablo,

They are fairly similar, Lind being a bigger player who also plays bigger than his size. As much as we want to think it, Foo isn’t a guaranteed signing. Not sure if we should make decisions based on him being on our roster when that’s not the case.

32. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Jethro Tull,

– Thanks for this: I’m going to buy both books…

33. russ99 says:

Puljujarvi is 19 years old. I don’t get why fans expect every pick to be an immediate contributor.

Seems to me we delayed his development keeping him on the big club, so a few more months in the AHL won’t hurt, and another year may be necessary, if not what we really want.

Can’t get why anyone would trade this kid, he plays a mature NHL game already and he just needs to figure out space and shooting within North American offensive systems, less space and tougher defenders.

Makes me a bit upset when people don’t want to do the best things for this club, such as properly developing our first round picks, and yet will do anything else to keep favorites that we’ll need to move to contend for a cup.

34. Jethro Tull says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    Jethro Tull,

– Thanks for this: I’m going to buy both books…

Lol, if you have twitter, can you tweet the link to the NHL?

35. Bruce McCurdy says:

Jethro Tull:

Thanks for the link. That was a good read.

36. jtblack says:

I would like to the Oilers draft a C or D … those positions have the most impact on a team winning … If you happen to get lucky and have an abundance of good ones, they also offer the most as trade bait … Wingers are the lowest commodity in the League … the Oilers used their 1st round picks on Wingers 4 out of 5 years in Rebuild 2.0 (Eberle, Paajarvi, Hall, Yakupov). Lately it’s been Nurse, Drai, McD and JP. JP is the only winger and he’s the one LT is worried about …

The Should Draft a Center or D @ 22, hoping they will be a player in 2 or 3 years at ELC money.

Maybe the Oilers could trade down to late 20’s? not sure if they would get anything to make it worthwhile …

As for JP, concern is fine … I think it’s too early to trade of give up on him. He just turned 19 … Neon Leon started his 2nd year in the AHL and then got called up and took off … JP should start in AHL as RW1 and when injuries dictate or if he is scoring at over 1 PPG, then call him up and play him RW1 or RW2 … I still believe JP can be a 25 – 25 guys on this team ….

Remember, some were considering trading Drai as recent as this past summer. In hindsight that would be a mistake. Whether JP turns into yak or drai remains, but lets give the kids a chance and properly develop him.

Oilers have spent a YDecade rushing prospects (including Drai & Nurse) … Besides the freako’s like McD, I think the organizational stance should be to let all players ripen beyond ready, then plug them in .. and LT, you said the same. The Oilers team growth puts them at a point now where they cannot afford to develop players at the NHL Level. Let them develop in Europe, AHL, NCAA or Jr. ; then when they are 20 – 23 put them on the NHL roster ..

37. Diablo says:

Lowetide: The Oilers are in real trouble re: forward prospects even if they sign Spencer Foo. Drafting a forward in the first round is one of the easier predictions of summer (unless someone brilliant falls, and even then).

Seems like the kind of thinking that led to the decade of darkness. If we have to draft a forward, then it should be a centre – and not someone who is listed as a centre but projects as a winger in the NHL (aka Gagner and Cogliano). If we are going to draft a forward, then lets draft a centre who is actually good at face-offs, cause it seems that if you suck at face-offs in Junior then you’re going to suck at it at the NHL level (see RNH).

Looking at this years projected 1st round forwards – they’ve all got serious questions attached. Most of these guys would be 2nd rounders in a normal draft year.

If we keep the pick, at that spot in the draft I want them to go for a home run, not a safe bet. Bannstrom is one of the youngest players in the draft, and is a major late riser – Woodlief is very high on him and thinks he just as good as Makar. More importantly, he would further stock the D cupboard – and as we’ve seen it is much easier to trade a D for a winger, than the other way around (see Hall, Taylor).

38. Professor Q says:

I wish we had Jesse’s goooaaaal!

39. frjohnk says:

russ99:

If a high draft pick is making some people believe he will be nothing more than a complimentary player, its not wrong to ask the question ” should the Oilers look at maximizing his value by trading him?

Yes, he is only 19, and still young enough to grow into a player that is more than just a complimentary player. But there are definitely some signs pointing in the direction of him being a complimentary player.

Also when will he make it as a NHL player? this coming season? the season after?

If the Oilers are looking to get better for next year, trading JP for a player, lets say Silverberg, who Anaheim may have trouble protecting, might be the prudent thing to do.

Im not saying we need to trade JP, but if this team is looking to get better for this next year, all cards need to be on the table.

40. Rondo says:

Diablo,

Nashville has been a team that continues to use high draft picks to draft D even though they are very strong at D.

I agree with you.

41. jtblack says:

Interesting. CAPS have drafted these players around the slot where the Oilers will draft.

Marcus Johansson – 24th ; 2009
    Kusnetsov – 26th ; 2010
    Burakovsky – 23rd ; 2013
    Ilya Samsonov – 22nd ; 2015

Its a slot where you aren’t guranteed an NHL player, but clearly if we trust the Oilers scouting brass (don’t know yet); you can get more than a complimentary player at 22 this year. Keep the pick. Draft. Develop.

As LT said, this team is already entering win now mode. But remember, it will be win now for the next 15 yrs. We still need to draft and develop.

Rondo:
    Diablo,

Nashville has been a team that continues to use high draft picks to draft D even though they arevery strongat D.

I agree with you.

The Oilers have done a nice job drafting defensemen in later rounds during recent summers. In fact, 2015 may end upbeing a watershed for blue drafted after pick No. 100.

43. blainer says:

JP imo will be a fine player. I expect him to go more the rout of Ryan Johansen.. patience will be needed by JP management and fans for this player.

I have mentioned this in the past. I would like management to send JP back down to the AHL to start the season and get him playing 1st line center. Now I am glad they didn’t do that this year as this was a big adjustment year for him but hopefully they can do it next year.

Playing JP at center really helps in case of injuries or if we decide to move Hoppy up with Connor.

A 6’4 RT shot center who hopefully could be taught to win draws quick. Now that would be nice.

He has the defensive game to pull this off as well IMO.
    It certainly can’t hurt to try as long as the player is up for it.

44. Woogie63 says:

I wonder how KLowe feels today, 10 years in charge, nota, 2 years for Bobby and the results are better, and the future is looking good.

45. trencan says:

Just for fun, 1 minute interview with Jesse on WHC in english… I didnt see many interviews with him last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmDcsSGT6VM

46. danny says:

What would it take to add to RNH in order to get OReilly out of BUF? I think they’re comparable players next season with the exception of faceoffs. RNH had probably the best playoffs a player can have without scoring a goal. Eberles lack of willingness to cycle was a big factor there. That line was predictable with the puck and expected results followed. Away from the puck RNH was impressive.

But OReilly would be a great fit for this Chia Team

47. Scungilli Slushy says:

Any player not named McDavid can be traded for a benefit to the team. Not because sideburns, traded to improve.

As for the young Fin, he has a toolkit that is not easy to acquire. He is big, fast and plays 200 feet. He has a head for the game which is reflected in his early defensive acumen. For a team with high end offensive minded centres he is a perfect compliment. If his production is average but his two way game is strong it means he won’t price himself off the team like Eberle, who can’t do enough dirty work to make his salary worth it.

I see JP this way. He needs time for his confidence to grow. Laine is a ridiculously overconfident. So he can walk into the league and score 30. But his two way game is crap and his team was awful. At this point I consider him very talented but selfish. Ristolainen to me is like this, and ‘sometimes’ players don’t move past this and never get a strong overall game.

I don’t like one way players, I think they usually weaken a team, and these high skill types get traded more than strong two way players. In today’s game it is very hard to outscore foibles, especially in playoffs when there is no room to free wheel and the refs hate your guts. See Shattenkirk.

JP doesn’t have precocious confidence, but in the long run that makes him a better all round player, and probably teammate.

JP will grow into his game and score 20 if he’s watching McDavid’s back, and his team will dominate and his line will outscore handily. He may never be Kurri but who could be? He can be Hossa, and players like that in their prime drive winning because they do the things that sunk the Oilers this playoffs – they make it very hard for the other team to play and score.

He could be a stone hands like Pajaarvi, but I doubt it. He’s too smart and skilled, and has a decent at least shot.

48. frjohnk says:

danny:
    What would it take to add to RNH in order to get OReilly out of BUF? I think they’re comparable players next season with the exception of faceoffs. RNH had probably the best playoffs a playercan have without scoring a goal. Eberles lack of willingness to cycle was a big factor there. That line was predictable with the puck and expected results followed. Away from the puck RNH was impressive.

But OReilly would be a great fit for thisChia Team

Just have to get rid of all the Tim Hortons before he comes here.

49. blainer says:

trencan:

Jeebus.

He is still struggling with the language.
    Was hoping he would have been better than that after a year in NA.

50. Diablo says:

jtblack:

Marcus Johansson – 24th ; 2009
    Kusnetsov – 26th ; 2010
    Burakovsky – 23rd ; 2013
    Ilya Samsonov – 22nd ; 2015

Its a slot where you aren’t guranteed an NHL player, but clearly if we trust the Oilers scouting brass (don’t know yet); you can get more than a complimentary player at 22 this year.Keep the pick. Draft. Develop.

As LT said, this team is already entering win now mode. But remember, it will be win now for the next 15 yrs.We still need to draft and develop.

There needs to be an asterix beside Kuznetsov – Russian born player taken during a period of time when the KHL was enjoying success poaching back Russian players from the NHL. Tarasenko and Kucherov were taken later in their draft years for the same reason. Washington had Ovie to recruit Kuznetsov and TB has beautiful weather and specular women. St. Louis got a steal in Tank.

Samsonov is a good goaltending prospect but is still a long way from the NHL.
    Johansson was a very good pick.
    Washington has done a damn fine job at drafting in the first round since they picked Ovie.

But Rondo is correct – I want us to be Nashville. Keep drafting D and use the surplus to trade for forwards.

At the draft its just so damn hard to tell which 18 year old forward is going to pan out – magic beans indeed. After a couple of years though it becomes more obvious. Much better to try to acquire forwards when they’re in their early 20’s because you have a much better idea of what you have.

51. Diablo says:

Also to add – D much longer to develop – this is taken as gospel and verse by most us right?
    So it stands to reason that they tend to lose their shine a lot slower than forwards do after being drafted (on average). This is why I’d like to see us continue to stockpile D.

52. Professor Q says:

blainer,

I’m not certain. It’s harder to go from Wing to C than C to Wing most times, and if we’re trying to develop his offence (although Fleming seems to think his defence is what needs the most work, at odds with TMc’s opinion) wouldn’t focussing on his already-learned position and speed be more worth it?

Practicing faceoffs wouldn’t hurt but full-blown C duty might (akin to Hall, but earlier).

Remember, he started hockey late – in his early teens – after playing mostly bandy (if I remember correctly). So obviously he has skills, but might need more development than most. Still believe in him, but don’t think the responsibility of C duty would necessarily help vs. hinder.

53. blainer says:

Professor Q:
    blainer,

After just watching that interview I now agree with your take. He is not ready to take that on. I was hoping for a move ala Messier but I think you might be correct on this.

May be an option down the road but not now.

Is there a RT shot center out there in our slot at 22 who has some size. That is who I am drafting if available.

54. LadiesloveSmid says:

I think Pulju will be an elite player. He should take Letestu’s spot, at least on PP2. I don’t imagine Eberle is back.

55. Android says:

Question for the folks here:

If some team with too much cap space and too many draft picks suddenly decides it needs a star player among a throng of middling talent and prospects, (Squints towards the desert) and offer sheets Draisaitl at 10M+, would you match, or would you take the 4 new first rounders and go big game hunting?

56. blainer says:

Android:
    Question for the folks here:

Get him signed before that happens… please !

For me we have already spent enough time watching the drafts.

I prefer watching deep playoff runs which is what is gonna happen next year after we get him signed to a 7×8 contract.

57. puckwatcher says:

Think the smarter move with JP may have been assigning him to a CHL team and kidder him post crooked numbers in a lesser league than the ahl. Think your thoughts on him would be less leery if the oil did that

58. JDI says:

Today at 5: The sinking of the Lucictania.

59. Jon K says:

When do the Oilers consider trading JP to maximize value? Probably now, but recognizing that the future is unknown and either course of action is a gamble.

There are concerns now about JP’s potential as an NHL top six forward. His draft position was based on that possibility. As evidence accumulates that suggests that might not be his role, his value drops.

It’s a tough proposition. There are reasons why JP’s performance this year might have been handicapped. New language, new culture, very young prospect in an adult league. He could be better than he’s showed this year.

However, If the team holds onto him and he struggles next season, a great deal of his value will be gone already.

If there’s a deal to be made for immediate help using JP as a bargaining chip, I suspect we have a GM who is not afraid to make it.

60. Jethro Tull says:

JDI:
    Today at 5: The sinking of the Lucictania.

He was torpedoed, dammit!

61. JDI says:

Jethro Tull,

I blame Churchill!

62. JustWatt says:

A thought on Pulju that I haven’t seen yet: his early struggles can work in Edmonton’s favor so long as the player pans out. If he takes until the last year of his entry level contract to show who he is then he could potentially sign for long term at a very reasonable number. Like Klef or Larsson.

We are going to need value contracts to stay afloat and great players on long contracts with reasonable dollars can help keep the band together. I’d love to see him come into his own in the second half of the 2018-19 season where the GM will know what he is but he won’t have earned a Draisaitl-like contract.

63. JustWatt says:

Also, what is the big deal about Spencer Foo? His name keeps coming up but anytime his numbers have been shown on the blog he doesn’t even project as well as Caggiula. I’d take him but I don’t get the hype. And I sure don’t see a spot for him on the roster next year. Heck, he’d have to progress a ton just to make any opening-night roster.

64. Dominoiler says:

Was just listening to staples and Bruce muse over bringing Russell back, could be a good addition for 1-2 years.. i kinda like, based on retaining Russell..

Klef-Lars
    Nurse-Sek
    Russell-Benning

But obviously this exposes nurse.. we saw him simplify his game in the playoffs, maybe his speed and physicality can help him play up to this level?.. anyways, i like the balance of those lines, puts a puck mover with a physical shutdown w wheels.. and for the first time in a long time we have a legit top pair, maybe they could provide some cover for the lower two pairs!?..

65. Profit says:

What does everyone think about trading our first round 2017 pick? (Apologies if I missed a thread about this recently).

If the agreed upon wisdom is that the window is open for a run, with next year being a prime candidate, wouldn’t it make sense to put our first round in play?

I’m envisioning it as part of a package which moves one of the troublesome spots (Pouliot, RNH?) for a quality player in order to free up some cap room and fill a gap/contribute to balance.

I am generally against trading draft picks, but if you’re every going to do it, this looks like the year.

66. SwedishPoster says:

frjohnk,

I’m fully with you regarding the D-men. But to claim Jesse hasn’t scored well during his junior career is wrong. He’s always been pushed to play against older guys. At 14 he was over ppg against 18 year olds. At 15 he was over ppg in the U20. At 16 he put up half a point a game in the top finnish league, he also played in the second tier which is a pro league as well and had 13 points in fifteen games. And in his draft year he had 28 points in 50 games and was dominant with the Finland U20 team all year not just during the WJC. If you look at production on each level he’s outproduced Laine every year except in Liiga their draft year(Puljujärvi actually had a higher ppg during the playoffs though had all those goals) and ofc this season.

This doesn’t mean Puljujärvi without a doubt will be a productive NHLer or that he’s tracking better than Laine in any way but I see no reason his offensive output in juniors should be seen as a red flag. It’s been up there with the top scorers all the way. Since he’s always been moved up a notch he’s never had a chance to skate circles around his peers so you don’t see a lot of 2ppg plus seasons but despite being the youngest player he’s pretty much always been one of the top scorers of his team and the league.

Pulju is still very much a kid, it’s easy to see this 6’4 200 pounds player and think he’s NHL ready but he’s still immature physically AND mentally, the latter is often forgotten. I’m not saying he’s a troublemaker or anything like that, just that he’s very much a teenager, not the McDavid type who’s wise beyond his years or Laine’s superstar ego where nothing and noone can touch you. Jesse is just a goofy kid still.
    I wanted him to stay in Finland and that was the main reason, to give him time to develop in a familiar enviroment in a less physical league.
    Let’s not forget that Jesse hit growth spurt between 16 and 17 where he grew a couple of inches, he was still growing during his draft year if I have been correctly informed. And then he had surgery at the end of the year.

I don’t think coming to the NA was the right step but if he’s the talent I think he is he should still figure it out no matter what, though imo by trying to speed up his developement they might have actually delayed it.

67. Rondo says:

SwedishPoster,

Any thoughts regarding Lias Andersson?

68. digger50 says:

Every time I see a picture of Jessie I see a big goofy kid. Eating pizza or licking his nose, he looks just a kid. I know nothing about his family or school but learning English was not a priority. I think his hockey talent is moving him along faster than he can move mentally or emotionally.

Edmonton had best intentions of course. But as I stated in August. This kid should just have stayed in Finland close to his family and friends. Play another year there and learn English. His development needed to be more about growing up than hockey.

In thier hurry to develop prospects again, we see unintended fallout.

A summer off, a deep breath to gain perspective and digest so much he’s learned and he will be back.
    I still have to trust that so many hockey scouts had his hockey potential as first tier (of three) in the 2016 draft.

Edit: Swedish Poster- just read your post and agree completely.

69. Chachi says:

digger50:

In thier hurry to develop prospects again, we see unintended fallout.

Edit: Swedish Poster- just read your post and agree completely.

It’s just like that old saying, the best place to learn English is Finland!

70. Ducey says:

Diablo: Hasn’t it been repeatedly said that wingers are the easiest commodities to find? Why would we draft them when we can sign either as FA out of college or from Europe or as a veteran UFAs looking to latch on to a contender for a Stanley Cup run?

You draft the best player.

Remember when the Oilers took Jason Bosingnore over Ryan Smyth? One was a big, RH C. One was just a winger.

Top 6 forwards and top 4 D are hard to get. That should be the goal with the first rounder. A Riley Nash in the first round is some consolation, but really is a fail.

If you can’t decide who will be better between a C and a W, certainly take the C.

71. jtblack says:

Starting last Fall, the conversation revolved around Balance. It was never achieved and yet the results were a 103 point season and 2 rounds in the Playoffs. This team is close. There is no need to blow things up, a la Hall style. I am fine with moving one of Ebs or RNH for the right piece But we don’t need to move Ebs and / or RNH and trade JP and trade our 1st rounder this year ….

Why not sign a RW like Oshie or Vrbata. Perhaps a Versteeeg as LT mentioned. Start JP in the minors with full intent to have him on the big club by December (or whenever so bonuses won’t kick in). If JP proves unworthy at the NHL Level then PC will have to go hunting at the deadline. Keep building the RHD (trade of Ebs OR RNH) and add D depth as PC is already doing.

I know everybody is hell bent on win now, but Win now, doesn’t mean forego the future. No Franchise player has won the cup in year 2. Maybe Roy, but he wasn’t 18 .. LT you always give great historical context. Gretz won the cup in year 5? Croz in year 4. Mario in year 7. Lindros made final in year 6.

This team still needs the required depth, seasoning and growth to win the cup. We can’t ignore history and suggest they will win in year 2 … we can hope for a long run in year 3 .. but the real window based on history will be year 3 – 6. BUILD this team to win cups in that window … What happens after that is a whole different conversation.

Year 3 starts for Connor nxt year. Let the Chase for Lord Stanley begin: for real.

72. Alpine says:

I predict Eberle ends up in Vegas, not through the expansion draft but acquired for whichever one of Pysyk or Petrovic that gets drafted from FLA by McPhee.

Pouliot I have no idea. Maybe we send Reinhart plus a high-isn pick to McPhee in a separate trade for a low pick as a favour for them to take Pou. Either that or they ask for Caleb Jones.
    McPhee should want some near NHL ready prospects so hopefully he likes Reinhart enough.

Something like that would kill three birds with two stones. Two veteran forwards who will hopefully have bounce back years, two contracts that run out in two years that help them reach the floor, and a young defenseman ready to contribute. Plus the added higher pick as an incentive to take Pou.

73. jtblack says:

Ducey,

I agree. If in doubt, take C over W all day long. C and D build long term team success. The 1994 Draft is a wierd one. Just shows how nobody knows when they pick 18 yr olds. The Oilers getting Smyth at 6, he was probably the top 2 or 3 players drafted that whole year, JACKPOT. Bonsignore was compared to Lemieux (Big rangy RHC), except Bonsignore scored 22 Goals in his draft year. The offense wasn’t there (Smyth had 50), he never should have went 4th …

74. Yak Efron says:

Drai looking good at Worlds. Nice for him to get a chance to play in his hometown. Silver linings.

75. Glass says:

For JP trades, I’d do Nuge + JP for Lindholm + Faulk. I’d also find a way to acquire Trochek from Florida, as he is on a great contract, has a wicked shot & is a shoot first player which lines up nicely for McDavid. JP with Barkov probably looks interesting to Florida.

76. Alpine says:

Puljujarvi seems like a rich man’s Paajarvi to me and I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing. Honestly, the two are pretty comparable.

Both slipped in the draft and fell right into our hands to the point that our GM rushed up to the podium to take them.
    Both had good WJCs in their draft year.
    Both had decent scoring numbers in their respective senior leagues as U18s in their draft year. Good enough to say they had potential, but not so much that they were considered elite.
    Both started in the NHL before seeing AHL time, at different time intervals however.
    Similar body shape, similar speed, Puljujarvi has a shot that Magnus never had.

In all these bullet points, you can compare the two and see that Jesse has impressed slightly more with higher draft pedigree and a touch more scoring.

So with Paajarvi having top 6 potential but having become a useful bottom sixer, we should probably project Puljujarvi as a potential 1st liner who will likely be a 2nd liner.

If Jesse can play that two-way role Magnus has gotten good at but with more scoring then we should be happy with the player.

77. Diablo says:

jtblack:
    Ducey,

I agree. If in doubt, take C over W all day long.C and D build long term team success.The 1994 Draft is a wierd one. Just shows how nobody knows when they pick 18 yr olds. The Oilers getting Smyth at 6, he was probably the top 2 or 3 players drafted that whole year, JACKPOT.Bonsignore was compared to Lemieux (Big rangy RHC), except Bonsignore scored 22 Goals in his draft year. The offense wasn’t there (Smyth had 50), he never should have went 4th …

More than that there were big time red flags on draft day about his attitude and work ethic – that was pre-internet chat boards and you tube when you only had the Hockeynews to evaluate the draft eligible players. I hated that pick when it was made (I wanted Jeff O’Neill) and was ecstatic when Sather traded him and Kelly + Marchment for Hamrlik.

If we keep the pick – I’m in favour of putting it in play to clear cap space or get a 3C or RHD – then I’d rather get a D – they hold their value trade-wise far longer after they’ve been drafted than forwards do (see Reinhart, Griffin).

78. SwedishPoster says:

Rondo:
    SwedishPoster,

Any thoughts regarding Lias Andersson?

Of the swedish draftees he’s the guy who’s the furthest along. Already a good twoway player in the SHL, can play both wing and center, though I think the odds slightly favours winger as his NHL position. Great shot, gets it off quickly and in tight spots, not flashy but nice skill and vision, goes to the dirty areas. Almost a certain middle sixer at the NHL level imo but not superdynamic so while he’s the most ready of this drafts swedes there are others with higher upside.

I mean to do a write up of the most interesting swedish draftees sometime next week when I have a little more time on my hands.

79. Centre of attention says:

I remember sending many DM’s, Tweets, and posting comments at different blogs worrying before and after the draft about Jesse’s offense.

People kept telling me to relax and that his WJC numbers were legendary and that he was going to be a lock for top 6 NHL time.

Unfortunately as time passes it looks more and more like the gut instinct was correct this time.

I won’t scream overreaction if the talk turns to trading Jesse. I’m 100% fine w/ it actually. Just one question though, who / what are you expecting to trade him for?

I would call up Carolina and be like Jesse for Pesce and your 2017 second rounder. The money is about as close to a wash as you can get, while Pesce would fill Russels spot for years to come. Plus an extra second rounder this year that you can use in a package to trade up into the range where perhaps a Suzuki is available. Carolina needs wingers and Jesse is a recent #4 overall plus he did have chem with Aho once upon a time fwiw.

Definitely sounds like something more likely to happen on your Xbox than real life but if I were GM I would at least make that phone call.

80. Woogie63 says:

Alpine:

81. Diablo says:

SwedishPoster,

What are your thoughts on Bannstrom? Woodlief is pretty high on him – do you concur?

The OIlers essentially redshirt Puljujarvi for a year, and some people are “freaking” out. The Oilers clearly have a plan or they would not have redshirt him AND blown one year towards UFA status.

It is like the Nurse hysteria last year all over again.

Puljujarvi is almost the perfect test case for #ThoroughlyMediocreCoach. An almost perfect raw talent for his player type that he has to mold. The upside potential of the team is significantly impacted by this player’s development (or non-development) by this coach.

Keep Eberle and let Puljujarvi develop mostly in the AHL next year. Then one has the trade deadline and next summer to make the Eberle decision, depending on how quickly Puljujarvi comes along.
    i.e. Eberle is the placeholder for Puljujarvi. If Eberle has a down year, and Puljujarvi is still not ready at the trade deadline, trade for an expiring UFA at the trade deadline for the playoff run.**

**Unless of course one can get a legit D like Hamonic for Eberle, then trade him.

Nugent-Hopkins for Faulk (modulo something) is the ideal move.
    Then Pouliot for Plenkanec (maybe even retain $1 million per season on Pouliot) after Montreal trades Galchenyuk for Duchene (modulo something).

Bjugstad’s contract is poison.

83. Diablo says:

Woogie63,

Pouliot has negative value, so you have to factor that in I guess.

I’m less worried about losing Khaira – he’s going to top out as a 3rd line LW if we’re lucky. He’s not even a lock to play on the team next year, and he becomes waiver eligible.
    I like him cause he’s a brown guy like me, otherwise I could care less.

84. Diablo says:

No chance at all that Montreal deals Plek for Pouliot, unless Tavares resigns in Brooklyn. If not, then they’ll let Plek’s contract run out which will leave them with cap space to make a pitch for JT.

85. SwedishPoster says:

Diablo:
    SwedishPoster,

86. jtblack says:

Common Thread to all of these ideas and chatter? We know a lot will change in the next 90 days given the expansion draft, NHL draft and PC’s history. Where the chess pieces are moved and which ones, who knows??

so Grateful we are discussing all of this with all the Hope and Optimism and done with worrying about picking in the Top 3 of the draft.

87. Diablo says:

SwedishPoster: Don’t have time to go into detail but I’m really high on him. This is one of the best group of draftees out of Sweden in a long time and he’s one of three guys who I think could end up the best of the bunch.

Who are the other 2?

88. gogliano says:

Scungilli Slushy:

100% agree with this line of thinking and that expressed by Swedish poster. I think we’re underestimating what JP did playing against his physical betters throughout his teens. And the special challenges JP faces in breaking into the NHL. But at the end of the road should be a responsible player who can produce results on a favorable contract. I don’t see much rationale in trading that kind of piece away given the makeup of the rest of this team.

89. Centre of attention says:

A young RW I would make a phone call about is Leivo in Toronto. He’s cost controlled, skates fast, and dynamic offensively.

He’s shown a lot IMO and they are simply overflowing with high-powered wingers, and IMO Kapanen is more valued by the organization (despite injuries) so Leivo might be at least partially blocked for the time being. Was a scratch on their NHL roster for a time despite showing flashes.

Thoughts?

90. frjohnk says:

SwedishPoster,

Some people believe JP is tracking like Draisaitl, who had a tough first year, but then blossomed the 2nd year.

But Draisaitl had a pretty good year in his draft year. I believe his NHLE was around 40. JP’s NHLE was 13 I believe in his draft year.

When I look at JP’s scoring, Im looking at draft and draft +1 and I dont see the type of scoring that jumps outs where we can say ” yeah, that kid will push the river”

For me the signs are showing a good complimentary player. Someone like Jacob Silverburg. Thats a pretty good player.

But I should mention there are a few things to consider.

His TOI in his draft year was probably not very high and this would have dinged his overall box cars.

His knee injury and the struggle to adapt to a new ice surface and culture may have also played a role in him not doing as well as we hoped in his draft +1 season.

No doubt Im cheering for him and Id love for him to knock it out of the park. But Im also aware if the Oilers see an opportunity to better the team and it involves trading JP, then thats an option that needs to be explored as well.

91. oprah sucks says:

Well seasons barely over and the hockey idiots have spoken again. I politely stated all yr, for two seasons now about Rnh not and can’t be moved yet. Still the case so for all the idiots that don’t know a thing about hockey and value of certain players and positions, then listen and listen good. RNH ISNT GOIN ANYWHERE YET! Talk cap all u want it doesn’t matter! Peter will make it work for next yr. after that the Rnh trade speculators can come out again until then just give it up, your armchair gm abilities are horrible.

92. GMB3 says:

Tkachuk could have been very useful against Anaheim for the Oilers.. we probably would have won the series

93. frjohnk says:

oprah sucks: the hockey idiots have spoken again. I politely stated all yr, for two seasons now about Rnh not and can’t be moved yet. Still the case so for all the idiots

So you are “politely” calling everybody “idiots”?

Thanks for being so polite!

94. Professor Q says:

puckwatcher:

I’m not sure if they could do that? What team had his rights?

95. The Hermit says:

oprah sucks,

Peace be on you.

96. trencan says:

SwedishPoster:
    frjohnk,

Pulju is still very much a kid, it’s easy to see this 6’4 200 pounds player and think he’s NHL ready but he’s still immature physically AND mentally, the latter is often forgotten. I’m not saying he’s a troublemaker or anything like that, just that he’s very much a teenager,not the McDavid type who’s wise beyond his years or Laine’s superstar ego where nothing and noone can touch you. Jesse is just a goofy kid still.

Great post man.

97. Glass says:

I don’t get some people. Lets run Nurse out of town after 115 NHL games.

GMB3:

He was sure useful for Calgary. No points. 2 PIM’s. A bully is useless if the other team is bigger and badder. Tkachuk only picks on the vulnerable. No vulnerable guys on the Ducks. Hence Tkachuk pulled the chute.

99. Professor Q says:

Glass:
    I don’t get some people. Lets run Nurse out of town after 115 NHL games.

It’s the Oilers Fan Way©…

oprah sucks:

We don’t know that for sure. Last summer, PC traded the most valuable asset on his list, and this year Nuge may be the highest valued chip in terms of ask. I understand your point, RNH is my favorite Oiler (non-McDavid division). But you and I don’t run the team, and everyone is free to express their opinions (without reasonable boundaries.

101. Side says:

GMB3:

What did Tkachuk do in Calgary’s series against Anaheim again?

102. leadfarmer says:

Glass:
    I don’t get some people. Lets run Nurse out of town after 115 NHL games.

Trading a player if a good trade is out there is different than running a player out of town. No one is running Nurse out of town but it would be a good idea to upgrade that # 2 RHD

103. hunter1909 says:

oprah sucks:

As someone with no opinions about this team(other than keeping McDavid + Draisaitl together) I can see you point. I’d probably try to talk about how Chiarelli’s the GM and like Trump being president of the USA that’s the end of the matter.

Chiarelli+McLellan finally have my confidence. The team is lightning in a bottle – Americans were starting to take notice of the Oilers screw the whiny anti-Canadian rhetoric that’s served everywhere forever. People tend to enjoy hockey when it’s played properly(goal scoring, excitement, fights).

104. Alpine says:

Woogie63: So we are trading Eberle, Pouliot, Reinhart and Jones for Pysyk and JJ (the right to keep our 15th forward)?

Not both Reinhart and Jones. Just one of them.

105. hunter1909 says:

Go Nashville. Blow those Ducks out of the water.

106. Diablo says:

Glass:
    I don’t get some people. Lets run Nurse out of town after 115 NHL games.

Nobodies running Nurse (or Jesse) out of town here. I think we all agree that it would take a substantial player coming back in exchange to even consider one of those guys.

After the season the Oilers just had, Chia really is in the driver’s seat as far as trade negotiations with other teams goes.

He’s got some high-end talent that he doesn’t necessarily have to trade away but are available – RNH and Eberle.

He’s got some very attractive young assets that he could trade up for star players should they become available – Jesse, Nurse, Jones, Bear and the 1st round pick

He’s got some troublesome contracts in Pouliot and Fayne both of which are short-term enough that he can probably find a work around if he can’t find a way to unload them.

He could sit pat and do nothing but sign Russell, McDavid and Draisaitl this summer, and this team would go into next season as a contender. I doubt that happens cause ChiaPete is one of the more proactive GMs, but unlike last summer, he’s not desperate to make a move.

I’m really interested to see how Chia does now that he’s in a favourable bargaining position.

107. AT8 says:

dustrock:

Let’s not forget how much better he looked at the rookie tournament last year.

Confidence is a major thing and I don’t think he has that right now.

Couldn’t have said it better myself

all you have to do is look back at his U18 Gold Performance (utter domination against kids his own age)

and even the World Jr MVP performance (at 17 dominating a tournament for “19 year olds”)

add his performance at the young stars tournament in Penticton

when hes playing against kids his age he dominates.

he knows what it takes to play professional hockey against men now in north america, hes had a year to soak in the culture, dip his feet in the language and lifestyle.

in his interviews he said it himself, hes needs to get stronger in everything.

I hope they send him to the AHL even if he has a good camp this fall.

let him rip up the AHL and gain some confidence.

The only conversation about JP should be how to develop him better in the AHL

these days people are too quick to talk about trading prospects

the whole point of having prospects is to develop them, not dump them as soon as they trip and stumble a little.

you have a kid who just turned 19 this May, who is 6’4 and 203lbs, can skate, has the potential to be a bomb from the right point on the PP, not only a bomb he has shown he can create offence from the wing at his age group play, he can also handle the puck when he has confidence.

you want to talk about trading him??????

just watch his U18 performance

the video shows you when a guy with size and speed has confidence.

let the kid learn english, and adjust to the north american game before you talk about potentially moving him for value.

Youngest player in the NHL and AHL last year, lets be honest hear, he still has no clue how to speak english properly, he sounds like he still doesnt understand the language. and he remained a +5 in 28 NHL games, yes his AHL numbers are underwhelming when you compare them to some other imports, but people are forgetting those other imports understood english better then JP and only had to focus on learning the smaller ice. hes not that far behind rantanen and pasrnak in ahl production.

Mikko Rantanen draft interview

David Pastrnak at 17

Patrick Laine

Jesse Puljujarvi

in JP’s interviews throughout the year he still doesnt seem to have a handle on english

for a 18 year old to play against men in a different country and a smaller ice with next to no understanding of the language, you would think people would cut him a little slack on his production.

as for his play in the WC so far, like all country’s competing at this tournament Finland’s coach has a lot of pressure to win, hes going to be using who he thinks gives them the best opportunity to win. the youngest players in WC usually dont get much playing time and don’t get alot done on the score sheet unless your name is Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin,Jonathan Toews, Peter Forsberg, Pavel Bure, Sergei Fedeorv, you get my point.. Patrice Bergeron scored 1 goal and was a -1 in his WC debut, and he didn’t turn out so bad.

my point is if he struggles to score in his first year of pro hockey at a young age with his circumstances of not knowing the language and learning the smaller ice is that enough to write him off as your own prospect and start talking about shipping him out for someone else’s prospect or some other value?

talk about moving JP this early in his career is like drawing a Ace of spades with Queen of spades in poker and the flop comes 2 of spades, Jack of hearts and a Queen of clubs, you have position on the button and its your call to check or bet, and you want to trade cards with the guy sitting across from you who tells you he may have a Ace Jack of clubs, for all you know he could have a 7 and deuce, the turn and river hasn’t even come out yet, your hand at worst is top pair with top kicker, and at best you can still turn and river the nut flush. you have the chance to make the best hand. you havnt even seen the turn and river yet, no one can see the future when it comes to prospects, unless your name is Mcdavid or matthews, or crosby and ovechkin,

not all prospects are sure bets, but when your prospect has the potential to be an impact player its smarter not the toss your hand after only seeing the flop.

thanks for reading.

AT8

108. oilcanharry says:

Jesse didn’t play against Switzerland on May 14.