ETHAN RIFLES

Ethan Bear and the Seattle Thunderbirds won the WHL Championship last night, Bear helping the cause in a 4-3 OT win. Bear had two assists last night, and was 1-9-10 in the six game series. Many posters have mentioned the idea of Bear playing for the Oilers next year, something that seems like a stretch. Defense is a tough position to play and stepping up one level at a time (and learning at pace) is ideal. That said, what if he plays well in training camp and pushes for a roster spot? I’d still send him down and that’s no shot at the young defenseman. I think the Oscar Klefbom template (17 NHL games at 20; 60 NHL games at 21) should be the most aggressive for Edmonton’s defenders. Depth is no longer the issue it once was, and if Bear can continue to progress he should be an Oiler for a long time.

POSSIBLE RECALL OPTIONS 2017-18

If we make a list of outside-the-NHL-players who might be able to help the Oilers (40 games or less with the big club a year ago) it’s actually impressive compared to previous seasons:

• Goal: Nick Ellis
  • Left Defense: Griffin Reinhart, Dillon Simpson, Ziyat Paigin
  • Right Defense: Mark Fayne, Ethan Bear
  • Center: Joe Gambardella
  • Left Wing: Jujhar Khaira, Joey Laleggia
  • Right Wing: Jesse Puljujarvi

I think some of these players will make the opening night roster (Puljujarvi, Khaira possible, Reinhart if he is still here) but there is some depth developing in Bakersfield.

PETER CHIARELLI SUMMER LIST

1. Get Connor McDavid signed to a long-term contract. ($10-13 million times 8?)
  2. Get Leon Draisaitl signed to a long-term contract. ($7-8 million times 8?)
  3. Negotiate the expansion draft rapids without giving up a valuable piece of the future. (Griffin Reinhart, Jujhar Khaira, Mark Letestu the possible pool)
  4. Find a way to trade Benoit Pouliot off the roster. (trade with LV or buyout)
  5. Find a second pairing D with two-way acumen. (Shattenkirk, Hamonic, Franson, Kris Russell)
  6. Find a bottom 6F who can help the offense. (Hanzal, Bonino, Derek Ryan)
  7. Find a way to cover off buried contracts. (Fayne)
  8. Make enough cap room to get everyone in under the number with enough room to spare for the trade deadline.

The picture is coming into view now, this week we’ll look at trade targets. The free-agent pool isn’t strong this year, but there are some attractive options. Today, let’s look at possible outgoing roster players.

WHO IS LEAVING?

Last year’s list was most likely (to least likely), this year I’m going to go with most valuable first. PC has shown a willingness to trade very valuable pieces and I doubt this summer will be any different. One thing that is certain: There are far fewer trade pieces this summer, meaning these men listed are more likely to actually go:

1. LC Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. His offense has been lagging for a couple of seasons, but the Nuge has exceptional two-way value (it was on display during the playoffs, especially the SJS series). Carolina is often mentioned as a destination, I always thought Detroit would be the perfect destination. Internal replacement is here (Draisaitl), external (Hanzal) is a free agent.
  2. R Jordan Eberle. He is the obvious ‘odd man out’ based on salary ($6M) and role (scoring winger) but you have to be able to replace that player before sending him away. If Edmonton decides to use Leon Draisaitl as a RW, then sending Eberle away (and auditioning Jesse Puljujarvi in the 2R role) could happen this summer. Todd McLellan has other options too (Anton Slepyshev, Drake Caggiula) but none of these men have scored 10 goals, let alone 20. Eberle may stay another year for this reason. Lots of people dumping on his value right now, if you look at the RW depth chart he may have more value to Edmonton than on the open market.
  3. No. 22 overall selection. I think PC would trade down but not out. By that I mean Edmonton could trade this pick for No. 34 and No. 57 or something along those lines.
  4. Future draft picks. This would have special appeal for LV I imagine, the Oilers may be able to figure out a way to fill one of their holes by sending away futures.
  5. L Benoit Pouliot. By hook or by crook, he is leaving. That’s my take. If he gets bought out, Pouliot could end up being a productive player on a contender by the fall. If he gets traded, he could be a fan favorite in Vegas by Christmas. He gone.
  6. LD Griffin Reinhart. I imagine he’ll be chosen in the expansion draft, but if he isn’t selected the Oilers may see fit to deal him off for a similar talent at another position. Maybe Curtis Lazar is available.
  7. RD Mark Fayne. Buyout seemed like the likely option, but the Oilers may choose to buy out Benoit Pouliot instead. Fayne may have another year in Bakersfield.

WHAT TO DO ABOUT JESSE?

I wrote about JP the other day, and his still unclear offensive potential. Lots of feedback on it and I think it will be one of the very interesting subjects of summer. For me, the Oilers summer, in terms of procurement, breaks down like this:

• Find a second pairing RHD who can play effectively in the role next season and grow with the team. I listed Mark Pysyk the other day, your mileage may vary.
  • Find a center who can play a two-way role as 2C or 3C as required. I chose Martin Hanzal as the Oilers best option and do think they will be a player in his free-agent decision.
  • Find a winger who can play with skill and be responsible without the puck. I chose Kris Versteeg in that role, there are others (depending on price point) available in free agency.

Edmonton is going to have an active summer, hell we’re likely to see another college signing (Foo?) before the summer actually hits. It is going to be a very important summer, because balance and depth are vital on the 23-man roster by opening night.

As for Jesse? Ideally he could flourish on a 3line with Nuge and (say) Drake Caggiula. I don’t think it will work out that way, mostly because JP’s cap bonus is going to force the Oilers to send him back to the AHL until much of the bonus burns off. Auditions are over in Edmonton, JP may benefit from a year in the KHL or Sm-Liiga.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A condensed show (Canada-Norway will be finishing up) this morning. Scheduled to appear before noon, TSN1260:

• Scott Burnside. Seems the Nashville Predators are unhappy with the doings of Kesler and Getzlaf. Huh.
  • Tom Lynn, Veritas Hockey. NHL player agent talks expansion.
  • Jason Gregor, TSN1260. Who is most likely to go among Oilers veterans?
  • Sunil Agnihotri, Copper & Blue/The SuperFan. How much importance should Peter Chiarelli put on the final year of Connor McDavid’s entry-level deal?

I’ll be at 10-1260 via text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

104 Responses to "ETHAN RIFLES"

1. stush18 says:

My lines next year look like

Caguilla-mcdavid-eberle
    Lucic-drai-slepy
    Maroon-nuge-JP
    JJ-letestu-kass
    Pitlick-pak

Send away pouliot, money should be fine for next year

2. Primetime says:

Good morning LT,

I actually don’t think Chia will trade down this year for one simple reason….the IRONY of it all.

In the summer that we are likely to unload Eberle (#22 overall, 2008), we are once again drafting #22 overall. What are we looking for? A bigger, faster, better shooting, CHEAPER Eberle! (Maybe Lind?)

The problem being of course, that the player chosen there will not help for years, and should, IRONICALLY, be developed as Eberle was, ie. 1-2 years back in junior hockey.

3. russ99 says:

Our goal is to contend for a cup next year

We can’t slide backwards at 2RD, especially for a younger defenseman who’s better at shot metrics than defending. Russell had flaws to his game, so if we can improve, we should do so, but focus on playoff-level defending first, puck moving second.

Besides, given 1-2 more years, Benning could be much better than a player like Pysyk anyway, and I still don’t trust this organization when it comes to a unbiased evaluation of former Oil Kings.

4. Offside says:

I hope I am wrong but I don’t think signing McDavid at $12 million and Drai at 7.5 million leaves much room for balance. The more likely scenario is that our high end talent is enough to cover for the resulting weaknesses that will occur in the salary cap world. Chia is gonna need to be the unanimous GM of the year if we want to see Lowetide’s balance photo.
    Balance is more attainable on a team with above-average talents rather than elite ones and/or generational stars, IMHO

5. SumOil says:

I am okay with Jesse being in the minors till he is ready to contribute. It’s too early to write off a guy who didn’t live upto crazy expectations as an 18yr old in his first NA season. Let’s not forget how dominant he was in the pre season tourneys playing against his peers. I will be okay if he needs another season in the A to acclimatise to new place. Only I would expect more offense from him

6. bbf_iii says:

stush18:
    My lines next year look like

Caguilla-mcdavid-eberle
    Lucic-drai-slepy
    Maroon-nuge-JP
    JJ-letestu-kass
    Pitlick-pak

Send away pouliot, money should be fine for next year

7. Diablo says:

Johansson called out Kesler for his antics – same garbage, different series – seems the refs weren’t biased, but are rather just plain incompetent when it comes to dealing with a clown like Kesler. I might just get behind Nashville for the rest of the playoffs – I really want them to knock those douchebags from Anaheim out of the playoffs.

Back to the Oilers – I’d really like to see Chia avoid buyouts – deadspace on your cap just prolongs the hurt. If Pouliot can’t be traded, then bring him back next season. He is a very good penalty killer, despite have brick hands.

If one of Niemi or Lehtonen is willing to waive their NTC, we may find a trading partner in Dallas. Its a lot of salary for a backup G, but its only for one year and (sort of) addresses a position of need. Alternatively, you can just bury the salary in the minors like the Jets did with Pavelec.

Given Jesse’s struggles this year, I would anticipate he starts next season in the minors to get additional seasoning.

8. T0ML says:

Why break what is not broken? It was shown last season McDavid and Eberle *DO NOT* click for whatever reason. I like the line, but doubt it happens because it did not perform. Probably will be Maroon – McDavid – Cagulla , personally agree with Line 2, Line three (But with fill in the blank vet on the wing (Hanzel?), and line 4 exactly as you have it…

stush18:
    My lines next year look like

Caguilla-mcdavid-eberle
    Lucic-drai-slepy
    Maroon-nuge-JP
    JJ-letestu-kass
    Pitlick-pak

Send away pouliot, money should be fine for next year

9. hags9k says:

Re: Kesler.

Funny how before the playoffs I think most thought ANA was the preferred opponent for the Oilers instead of the Sharks. We were forgetting what a prick of a (great) player Kesler is.

I liked LT’s roster moves the other day but agree with the poster who said pass on Versteeg.

What kind of cap hit do we think Kovalchuk will be had for?

10. gogliano says:

I’d give JP 20 – 30 games in the AHL and then call him up once he forces the issue (1 ppg). Let him know you expect this to happen. He needs some NHL time, though, as he should be a good depth playoff piece as early as next spring.

Keep in mind he’s still closer to many 2017 drafts in age as compared to 2016 drafts. Giving him heavy minutes in the AHL is probably best for his development. I’d stay away from the Liiga at this point as he’s close to NHL ready and he needs to improve his English and his know how on an NHL sized rink.

11. who says:

Don’t agree with the narrative that Eberle can’t be traded because we don’t have a replacement. How hard could it be to replace his performance from last year?
    I think the play is to find a cheap 3C who can play wing when Tmac decides to seperate McDavid and Drai. And for god’s sakes, not Hanzal. We have enough old slow forwards on the roster already.

12. Rondo says:

Primetime,

Oilers could trade up if they really liked a player at #19. SJ picks 19th and then don’t have another pick till the 5th round.

13. jake70 says:

who:

When you think about it, Ryan Jones scored 18 and 17 with the Oilers, although he cheated for offense.

Eberle’s game is at the point where if you can imagine another line in each zone, about 8 – 10 feet from the boards that tracks right around the net to the other side, that’s where he lives, can’t go wide, rarely can get inside lanes toward the net (5×5 that is).

14. Rondo says:

Diablo,

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

15. stush18 says:

bbf_iii: Are you under the assumption here that Pouliot is picked by Vegas? If not, who are you thinking they take from the Oilers? I would think that they are taking one of the bottom line forwards you’ve listed here.

I’m thinking reinhart is taken, and pouliot is traded or bought out

16. Clay says:

Remember that one time when Draisaitl had 9 points in 37 games in his first pro season, and we all were worried how he’d never make the transition to pro? Good times.

17. Chachi says:

Clay:

And Draisaitl was 7 months older than Puljujarvi was at the beginning of his rookie season.

18. Centre of attention says:

Others have mentioned it previously and I agree, Patrick Sharp would make a ton of sense on a cheap 1 million 1 year deal. Could fill the “Kris Versteeg” role, and Sharp has played both wings in his time so there is flexibility there.

Even if he only plays 60 games and scores you 15 goals, that’s still worth it on that type of contract. If he really flames out and Puljujarvi out performs him, no harm in burying 1 million bucks in the minors.

If he over performs and scores 20? Wonderful for the Oilers and wonderful for the player, who will be able to flip that into a retirement contract next summer.

19. Centre of attention says:

Also, I know it seems like maybe I was running Puljujarvi out of town last thread with that trade suggestion, but its not like that at all.

I was riffing off of LT’s mention of cashing out his value while its still high, and there is an argument to be made there. If you’re going to trade him, do it before the bloom is completely off the rose.

But first you need to be sure of what you have, and I don’t think we are at that point yet. So again lets not run him out of town just yet haha.

20. Showerhead says:

Just to be a pedantic snot,

That Draisaitl has been wonderful since his early pro “slump” is not evidence that Puljujarvi will also be wonderful. Instead, both players are evidence that while yes, we should pay attention to the arrows and the indicators, more than anything we should be patient with youth. Puljujarvi will chart his own course and we will need to wait to see what that course is.

21. jtblack says:

LT you keep mentioning JP’s cap bonuses. Do we know exactly what these are? IE: The max is $3.4 Million approx. ; but what gets JP there? If he plays 60 games and gets 10 G & 15 A, what kind of number does that end up being? Would a 20 G 30A season max him out? Given all the trepidation about his O, I find it unlikely the Oilers will be on the hook for the max … But to be sure AND to properly develop him, I think he should start the year in the AHL, just like Draisatl before … Call him up when injury strikes, to give him a look or if he’s dominating the AHL.

Leon posted 19G 32 A season in year 2. What did his total Cap Hit end up being?

Thanks

22. Ducey says:

LT

I think you can take Shattenkirk out of the options for Chia this summer. He is going to cost many years at at least $6 million a year. The Oilers cannot afford that going forward with Leon and Connor. He will want a NMC too.

The play on D is someone on a one year deal, maybe a two year deal if you can trade the guy in year two.

Then you have Mantha and Bear in the pipeline and Benning has another year to develop on the third pairing.

Honestly, other than finding a decent 2nd pairing RHD, doing some contracts, and re-signing Gryba, I don’t think Chia needs to do much at all with this roster this summer – except to keep signing good college UFA’s and drafting well. I’d even be inclined to keep Pouliot rather than buy him out.

23. JDI says:

All references to Puljie’s first pro season should be marked with *.

* Missed off season training due to knee surgery.

24. Showerhead says:

As far as Bear goes, I will be cheering like hell for him for a number of reasons including the simple fact that he has an awesome name. A couple of posters have wisely pointed to the Marincin/Davidson/Gernat trio of yesteryear as reason to remain cautious and I just want to say thank you for the reminder. Edmonton’s pro roster looks great when you can play useful, projectable, talented youth like Benning and Nurse on the bottom pair and spot them up the roster as earned or as necessary. No reason to mess with that, IMO, especially given the size of the WHL to pro leap.

25. Ducey says:

Showerhead:
    Just to be a pedantic snot,

Agreed.

But I would argue that worrying about the boxcars one of the youngest players in professional hockey is just silly at this point.

If he was sent down to the AHL and put up Moroz numbers (I am still sad about Mitch busting) then I would be worried. He went down and put up some decent numbers. 39 12 16 28 is just fine for an 18 year old.

The reasonable expectation is that he will go back to the AHL and put up near a point a game next year, get maybe 20 NHL games, and be right on track.

26. stush18 says:

T0ML:
    Why break what is not broken?It was shown last season McDavid and Eberle *DO NOT* click for whatever reason.I like the line, but doubt it happens because it did not perform.Probably will be Maroon – McDavid – Cagulla , personally agree with Line 2, Line three (But with fill in the blank vet on the wing (Hanzel?), and line 4 exactly as you have it…

I think eberle plays best with speed. He’s at his best when he’s the trailer. And eberle and mcdavid actually played very well together last year. Maybe someone else (woodguy? Lol) can back me, I’m on my phone at work so I can’t pull up the numbers.

Also,maroon and JP have put up very good possession numbers together. It just depends if you want your third line to score or possess. With mcdavids line out chances other lines every night, I’d like to try and win the possession battle for the rest. It’s a dangerous game trying to out score mcdavid.

27. Chachi says:

Showerhead:

Just to be a pedantic snot,

That Puljujarvi had an early pro “slump” is not evidence that Puljujarvi won’t be wonderful like Draisaitl. Instead, both players are evidence that while yes, we should pay attention to the arrows and the indicators, more than anything we should be patient with youth. Puljujarvi will chart his own course and we will need to wait to see what that course is.

Of course, if you want to get into the game of predicting what his trajectory looks like, you’re free to ignore me and start trying. It’s just that you’re going to need to present more evidence than “hundreds of other guys who started slowly did not become great” because there is really recent evidence from the exact same team that this other guy who was a really high first round draft pick started slowly and became great.

28. Professor Q says:

Interesting. The NHL is still letting Anaheim get away with too much dirt, but the MM is finally picking it up from Nashville’s POV, as opposed to Anaheim’s last series.

Mystery as to why…

29. Professor Q says:

stush18: I think eberle plays best with speed. He’s at his best when he’s the trailer.And eberle and mcdavid actually played very well together last year. Maybe someone else (woodguy? Lol) can back me, I’m on my phone at work so I can’t pull up the numbers.

He’s also 18. People tend to act as if he’s 20 when claiming he’s having hindering issues.

30. Professor Q says:

hags9k:
    Re: Kesler.

Funny how before the playoffs I think most thought ANA was the preferred opponent for the Oilers instead of the Sharks.We were forgetting what a prick of a (great) player Kesler is.

What kind of cap hit do we think Kovalchuk will be had for?

And not just Kesler. Ritchie, Thompson, Getzlaf, Perry, et al.

Dirty as can be, get away with everything, all hit late or grapple with intent to injure.

Very difficult to beat a team like that when you constantly lose players and the other team isn’t penalised.

31. Showerhead says:

Ducey,

I think this is in line with my expectations as well. To me, a point per game in the AHL next year would confirm that he is a legitimate top-6 prospect. More than that? Gravy.

Chachi,

32. neojanus says:

A little off topic:

Does anybody know when Chiarelli is doing his end of the season press release?

I always look forward to the GM statements.

33. JDI says:

neojanus: I always look forward to the GM statements.

Especially when they no longer contain the phrase ‘reasonably comfortable’.

34. Chachi says:

Showerhead: I’m sure that was a fun exercise on your part. To me, the reversal implies I gave you my opinion on Puljujarvi. All I said was that the evidence presented is weak, which you proved.

35. leadfarmer says:

hags9k:
    Re: Kesler.

What kind of cap hit do we think Kovalchuk will be had for?

I’m pretty sure you made that up. I think most people, including myself and Woodguy were thinking that Anaheim was the matchup we wanted to avoid in the division

36. Showerhead says:

Showerhead,

Going to amend my opinion.

Here is a list of every 19 year old to put up a point per game in the AHL in the cap-era (and their NHL career numbers, where applicable):

That list was short. Here is that list with 20 year olds:

(Source: https://theleafsnation.com/2017/03/29/if-young-ahl-scorers-are-a-dime-a-dozen-i-would-like-to-give-you-many-of-my-dimes/)

A point per game in the AHL, which is well within JP’s range IMO, would show me a guy with a high probability of top-6 success. There are still some misses in those lists – even a point per game season doesn’t guarantee anything – but they show a high probability and that would be great news.

Once again: if he exceeds that? Gravy!

37. jonrmcleod says:

***SPAM ALERT***

There once was a young, talented RW who scored 0 goals in his first 13 playoff games. It might not be who you think.

38. Professor Q says:

leadfarmer: I’m pretty sure you made that up.I think most people, including myself and Woodguy were thinking that Anaheim was the matchup we wanted to avoid in the division

Indeed. It was San Jose and Calgary who we wanted.

Then beyond that we wanted Chicago (well, at least I did – I feel we play better against them than St. Louis and Nashville and Minnesota).

39. Truth says:

It doesn’t bother me that Reinhart might be gone due to the expansion draft, as I don’t believe he has a future as a relevant NHL D. However, with Bear and Barzal leading their team to the WHL Championship and beyond it’s hard not to imagine the Oilers having both players within the organization and an even lesser player than Reinhart as the most valuable to be plucked at the expansion draft.

With Barzal just being awarded the WHL Playoff MVP and being extremely dynamic throughout the season, that trade might end up being more lopsided than the Hall trade.

40. T0ML says:

Yes, they played well in ’15/16. ’16/17 is a larger sample size I believe (I could be remembering incorrectly), their first year together was a small click at the end of the season for games as well (Due to injuries to both players). You could make the argument Lander is a 1C when he played with hall for 1/4 of the season. Its small sample size. Eberle has done more to prove he does not score well with McDavid than he has to prove he can, to me atleast (And im a massive Eberle fan)….

41. Concur says:

Forgive me if this has already been talked about before, I don’t get the chance to read the comments on the blog like I used to. Is there a reason that Taylor Hall is part of the World Championships?

42. Showerhead says:

Chachi: It is really fun to play the contrarian asshole isn’t it? No one that I have seen here is making the case that Puljujarvi is going to turn out like Draisaitl. That is a leap you made all by yourself. People point to Draisaitl to note that patience with these prospects is probably a good idea. This is the one point you made that I agreed with.

If understand this post correctly, it claims that
    a) I didn’t contradict anyone
    and b) I was playing “the contrarian asshole”

I don’t see how both can be true.

In the end, I’m not sure what it is about my posts that piqued you. If patience is what you’re preaching, I’m all in.

43. Professor Q says:

Concur:
    Forgive me if this has already been talked about before, I don’t get the chance to read the comments on the blog like I used to.Is there a reason that Taylor Hall is part of the World Championships?

There isn’t a reason, because he isn’t there.

Interestingly enough, this was the quote (incorrect) when he was left off the preliminary roster:

“Taylor Hall has consistently represented Team Canada in the past when the Edmonton Oilers have missed out on the postseason, but it appears that he won’t be joining the roster in France and Germany this summer following his first year with the New Jersey Devils.”

…a different Taylor Hall than we know? Because if my memory serves me he was consistently snubbed.

44. digger50 says:

If we came away with check marks beside that list of 8 items without giving up too much I would be thrilled.

Although we have a much improved roster, continuous improvement is still a goal, so if we can sign a top NCAA player and it pushes down another depth player, so be it.

And SPEED, we need to look for more speed.

I want to expand on point #3 of the shopping list; negotiate through expansion process. I would love for Peter to hit it out of the park during expansion. Not only limit what we will lose, but steal a good player as well. Some GMs, maybe a few of them out there are going to kill it in this process, I hope Peter will be one of them.

45. Whatif says:

Many people state that the Oilers should trade assets at their peak rather than at their low point.

What if Chiarelli were to trade Patrick Maroon for a solid RHC?

Given the production and the cost point for Maroon the chances are that we could gain substantially. What are Maroon’s chances of duplicating this seasons numbers? While he is valuable as a big body with good hands, he is not a plus skater and is limited in his effectiveness as a fore checker.

Could he get us a valuable piece from a cap strapped team?

Rondo:
    Primetime,

Oilers could trade upif they really liked a player at #19. SJ picks 19th andthen don’t have anotherpick till the 5th round.

The Oilers don’t have a 2nd round pick to move up from 22 to 19.

47. Showerhead says:

Whatif:

What if Chiarelli were to trade Patrick Maroon for a solid RHC?

Could he get us a valuable piece from a cap strapped team?

Username checks out.

I’m curious to see the responses to this.

48. Chachi says:

Showerhead: If understand this post correctly, it claims that
    a) I didn’t contradict anyone
    and b) I was playing “the contrarian asshole”

I don’t see how both can be true.

You implied those bringing up Draisaitl were predicting sure success for Puljujarvi:

“That Draisaitl has been wonderful since his early pro “slump” is not evidence that Puljujarvi will also be wonderful.”

“Of course, if you want to get into the game of predicting what his trajectory looks like, you’re free to ignore me and start trying. It’s just that you’re going to need to present more evidence than “this other guy who started slowly became great” because hundreds of other guys who started slowly did not become great.”

No one here said any of this, so to whom was this addressed? Were you being an asshole to a hypothetical poster?

Agreed on patience. Patience is good.

49. speeds says:

I am NOT saying the Oilers should just throw Bear into the lineup, ready or not, but I would say that this level of production could hint that he’s closer than some are suggesting. I would also say that improved depth ahead of him could HELP his chances at making the roster or being a quick call up, if they think he could swim on the 3rd pair with depth ahead of him acting as insulation from match-ups, and also if his RH PP offence looks like it’s going to translate early (particularly if what he brings is not something replicated on whatever roster they have in training camp) .

50. Rondo says:

godot10,

Yes I know . They have 2 3rd picks

51. Professor Q says:

speeds:
    I am NOT saying the Oilers should just throw Bear into the lineup, ready or not, but I would say that this level of production could hint that he’s closer than some are suggesting.I would also say that improved depth ahead of him could HELP his chances at making the roster or being a quick call up, if they think he could swim on the 3rd pair with depth ahead of him acting as insulation from match-ups, and also if his RH PP offence looks like it’s going to translate early (particularly if what he brings is not something replicated on whatever roster they have in training camp) .

I don’t see how having better players ahead of him in the lineup opens up more spots for him than not having said players. Quite the opposite.

52. Rondo says:

Eberle will be a better player given his playoff experience this year.

Professor Q:

Mystery as to why…

Whining is for losers. Signals that one is mentally beaten already. McDavid isn’t a whiner. Johansson is. First sign that Nashville is likely to lose the series.

54. Professor Q says:

godot10: Whining is for losers.Signals that one is mentally beaten already. McDavid isn’t a whiner.Johansson is.First sign that Nashville is likely to lose the series.

Pfft. I completely disagree.

And if you wish to play such an illogical game with me, I’d like to point out that McDavid lost. 🙂

55. Buddy says:

Professor Q: There isn’t a reason, because he isn’t there.

56. speeds says:

Professor Q: Wouldn’t improved depth ahead of him actually prevent him cracking the lineup (which I think is the best idea; keep him in Bakersfield)?

What I mean is improved players ahead of him up at the top of the depth chart might protect him in a different way from some previous young D trying to break into the NHL.

jonrmcleod:
    ***SPAM ALERT***

Oshie has played on playoff choking teams in St. Louis and in Washington. And Team USA has been choking a lot with him lately too.

58. Professor Q says:

Buddy: Hall has played for Canada 3 times at the Worlds, including the last two years when he played fantastic and Canada won gold. He missed a couple times earlier in his career because of season-ending injuries, not because he was snubbed. Perhaps you were thinking of the last Olympic and World Cup teams, where he was indeed left off the roster.

Other times he was either injured or snubbed. Just like Ovechkin #2 beating him for LW.

(Specifically about the World Cup, but is about how Team Canada regularly snubs Hall for various events)

Team Canada Continues to Snub Hall

“As if the trade wasn’t enough, Hall’s exclusion from Team Canada’s World Cup team just furthered the confusing narrative. Hall was passed over not once, but FOUR times. He didn’t make the initial roster. And he wasn’t an injury replacement for any of Jamie Benn, Jeff Carter or Tyler Seguin, despite Canada’s need for true wingers. You would think Hall should be a perfect fit for Canada. He scores a bunch at even strength, he drives possession, and he’s got a measure of grit to his game.”

59. Yeti says:

Whatif: What if Chiarelli were to trade Patrick Maroon for a solid RHC?
    Could he get us a valuable piece from a cap strapped team?

60. Truth says:

Ferraro said it best:

Ray Ferraro‏Verified account @rayferrarotsn 4h4 hours ago

Ray Ferraro‏Verified account @rayferrarotsn 4h4 hours ago

Kesler simply is allowed to get away with more than the average player. How do you change that without making it (an even bigger) part of the conversation?

Rondo:
    godot10,

Yes I know . They have 23rd picks

A 3rd round pick help one move up in the 2nd round, not in the first round.

62. Professor Q says:

Truth: Ferraro said it best:

Ray Ferraro‏Verified account @rayferrarotsn4h4 hours ago
    More1) Didn’t love Johansen’s comments as it sounds like whining but he does have a point. His job is to score, but

Ray Ferraro‏Verified account @rayferrarotsn4h4 hours ago
    More2) if Kesler can take liberties with no penalties ever called what can he do? Can slash Kesler back but that doesn’t help Johansen score.

Which is really odd coming from Ferraro, as he has no problem commenting on the officiating himself, and actually encouraged the Oilers to do so last series (like Lucic).

They are not Angels that must not be critiqued, despite the NHL’s mafia-esque protection of them. If they can not be critiqued in their job quality without penalizing the voicer, then what prevents them from actually doing what we have all suspected or even voiced aloud, about their integrity and bias and intentional slanting?

Seems wishy-washy.

Professor Q: Pfft. I completely disagree.

Not McDavid’s fault. Carlyle outcoached McLellan.

64. Professor Q says:

godot10: Not McDavid’s fault.Carlyle outcoached McLellan.

In some cases, yes. In others, no. But coaching was not the sole cause of the Oilers losing. And you know this, despite your indignation.

I’m sorry that you’re blind and worship the referees, though.

I think Hall probably has lingering issues from this season’s knee injury, and preferred to have more time to heal and train.

He knows he not going to the Olympics even if the NHL’ers go, so he has no one to trying pleasing.

66. season not played says:

Truth: Ferraro said it best:

Ray Ferraro‏Verified account @rayferrarotsn4h4 hours ago

Ray Ferraro‏Verified account @rayferrarotsn4h4 hours ago

67. speeds says:

season not played: As one very astute poster said the other day; Take the instigator penalty out, except when the fight is in response to clean hit, and let a guy like Kesler answer for his actions. Letting the players police themselves, to an extent, would help get the stick work out of the game as well.

More so than the refs just telling each team before the game “I’m calling any unnecessary stick work”, and then calling it?

The NHL can’t manage the legal liability if it takes eliminates the instigator rule.

69. Buddy says:

Professor Q: No, I was thinking about what I was thinking about. 2 World Championships only, not 3.

Team Canada Continues to Snub Hall

Hall played for Canada in 2013, 2015 and 2016. He was injured in 2011 and couldn’t play (I remember, I was in Slovakia for the games). He was also injured in 2012, if I recall correctly. Not sure about 2014.

The article you quote says he was snubbed 4 times, but the author is referring to 4 times when he could have been put on last fall’s World Cup team. I agree with that — he should have been on that team. But he has in no way been repeatedly snubbed for the World Championship teams.

70. season not played says:

speeds,

I don’t know. Judging from the playoffs, you tell me.

71. Side says:

godot10: Not McDavid’s fault.Carlyle outcoached McLellan.

You have nothing to support this narrative of yours. You never do.

Unless you count the refs as being players coached by Carlyle?

Refs allow 4 goals that should have been disallowed across 2 games.

godot10 says “McLellan getting out coached yet again”

72. Professor Q says:

Buddy,

For some reason I was stuck on his medal record, and so his 2013 5th place wasn’t listed. I suppose 3 out of 6 isn’t bad.

I guess only Olympics and others would be the snubs?

73. Side says:

“I went to Tim Hortons and they gave me the wrong order.

Thanks, Todd.”

“Player gives puck to opposition infront of the net who scores on team.

Thanks, Todd.”

“Kesler elbows Johansen in the face.

Thanks, Todd.”

74. season not played says:

godot10,

Perhaps. I am not a contract lawyer, but it seems to me if you sign on to play in a league and the rule is a rule then you have agreed to the risks. I don’t think any player would not sign, or forfeit a contract because the instigator rule was withdrawn.

I think the NHL’s liability with respect to somebody getting punched out would be in not recognizing or improperly dealing with the potential head injury.

75. Ducey says:

Yeti: I think this is precisely the kind of thinking that has to be on Chiarelli’s mind if he’s serious about improving the team. The chances of being able to retain Maroon once his current contract expires is minimal as he’ll command a significant raise. Given his short and subsidized contract, it’s not hard to imagine that Maroon would be of interest to a number of teams pushed hard to the cap. There may be an opportunity here. It should be explored.

I expect we have seen Maroon’s best season.

However, trading at his peak is swell and all, but we need players. The prospect/ pick is unlikely to help much next season, and Maroon is almost guaranteed to be a bargain.

He provides shelter to guys like the Drake and has the ability to move up and down the lineup. I don’t see an obvious replacement for his overall game in the organization, and getting it on the open market is going to cost a fair amount.

Now, if you can get a prospect RHD ready to step in next year, you do it, but I don’t think most GM’s are going to trade that for one year of Maroon (bargain or not).

76. Glass says:

I’ve given the off-season some thought.

For RHD, the answer may already be in the system. If you signed someone like Russell or Franson for 2 years, by the end of that contract it’s entirely possible internal solutions fill the void. Benning is a smart, 2-way D who is generally underrated in every facet of the game imo. However, he is only sitting at 74 NHL games played, and to rely on him to step into the 2nd pairing next season is unfair.

Given two more seasons, 164 additional games (knock on wood), plus playoffs, he could develop into a reliable #4 for us. If you run him and Nurse together during that time, they will develop chemistry and develop into a formidable pairing.

I imagine one of Ethan Bear or Ryan Mantha will be ready to carve out a role after 2 AHL seasons. So if we figure that RD can and will be solved internally, our major needs are 3C and top 6 RW.

There aren’t too many attractive 3C options that are available. The only intriguing ones are expensive. Hanzal, Bonino, and Bjugstad are pricey. Maybe the move may be to trade Eberle for futures? Barzal (I know) is an attractive option. He is a great 2-way prospect, shoots right, can PK, and is great on the PP. Good bet as any to become a reliable 3C that can do special teams and drive offense.

77. Primetime says:

Professor Q:
    Buddy,

I guess only Olympics and others would be the snubs?

He only gets overlooked in true best on best tournaments (Olys/World Cup), not when it’s a best of the rest tourney (World Champs). I’m sure he has given up on being on one of the big teams, or at least realizes going to the smaller tournaments in the past has never helped him, so why bother….

78. Side says:

Taylor not at the World Championships?

Looks like McLellan is getting out coached, yet again.

79. StixMalone says:

Ducey: I expect we have seen Maroon’s best season.

80. Professor Q says:

Primetime: Yep, he has never been snubbed for World Championships…has sat out due to injuries (as he is this year…he came out to say he wouldn’t play in March, well before they would have even asked him).

He only gets overlooked in true best on best tournaments (Olys/World Cup), not when it’s a best of the rest tourney (World Champs).I’m sure he has given up on being on one of the big teams, or at least realizes going to the smaller tournaments in the past has never helped him, so why bother….

But unless Team Canada gets rid of its fetish of Cs, he’s likely not going to make it.

81. Professor Q says:

season not played:
    godot10,

Perhaps. I am not a contract lawyer, but it seems to me if you sign on to play in a league and the rule is a rule then you have agreed to the risks.I don’t think any player would not sign, or forfeit a contract because the instigator rule was withdrawn.

If they called penalties as they are they wouldn’t have that issue to begin with, nor would they have as many injuries to star players due to headhsots or stick infractions.

Amd think of it, scoring would increase and they’d draw more attendance and views!

It wouldn’t even get to that point, where they’d have to deal with extra penalties anyway (Fighting Major) and deal with the consequences (they’re amidst a legal battle right now about concussions and other head injuries and not caring enough about “Fighters” etc.).

82. Ducey says:

Professor Q: I think he deserves a shot at the Olympics though. I know how he feels though, with nothing ever being enough so why bother?

Playing on last place teams doesn’t help – fair or not.

83. Yeti says:

Ducey: I expect we have seen Maroon’s best season.

Agreed on all counts, but the idea was to trade Maroon for a player of immediate value on a cap-hampered team.

84. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

SO last night in the Spurs-Warriors game, a fella with a history of questionable play closes out on a 3-point attempt against one of the Spurs best players with a move that the NBA has aggressively called for years. Spurs player comes down, rolls ankle, has to leave and the Spurs go on to blow a giant lead in part because the fella who got injured is one of the best defensive players in the league.

Now I hear and respect the NHL motto of “suck it up and play on” but Gregg Popovich has won more than any currently serving head coach in the NHL today and he took a different tact.

Even after a week the only play that still hurts was the 3-3 goal in game 5.

I wish Todd, Chia, Bob Nicks (hell even Gretzky) would have been a little more Gregg P and a little less old boys club on that particular play by that particular player

85. leadfarmer says:

StixMalone: Trading him to St Louis would be a feel good story. Doesn’t his son live there? I think Maroon would go there in a heartbeat. But who would St Lou give up? Maybe a package of Maroon , Ebs and a pick for Parayko?

I think you need to add a signed Omark jersey for St.Louis to bite. And maybe a 7th round pick in 2035.

I think anyone interested in Maroon realizes that McDavid is not coming with him if he gets traded.

86. unca miltie says:

Many of you will not like this suggestion, but the center that would be my dream guy is Kessler. Yes, he is hated for the way he plays, but IMO he has speed, skill and is tremendous defensively. Doubt very much if he would come to Edmonton, but I would ask.

87. Diablo says:

godot10: Not McDavid’s fault.Carlyle outcoached McLellan.

The inconsistent play from period to period is NOT the coaches fault – that’s on the players. Taking their foot off the gas is something we saw all season – it was a young group, and it was too be expected. Babcock’s young Leaf’s did the same thing against Washington. Given the turnaround and the season that the Oilers just had, last try not to sack the only decent coaching staff we’ve had in the past 10 years.

And Carlyle didn’t outcoach nothing – the refs are letting his top line players (Kesler, Getzlaff, Perry) get away with constant stick-work and interference, and they’re doing the same thing in the Nashville series. Unless of course you think that Carlyle is “out-coaching” Laviolette?

88. Melman says:

Professor Q,

The most ridiculous thing about it is the fact that the NHLPA does nothing to pressure or encourage the league to crack down on idiots like Kesler/Cooke/Perry/Kadri who consistently injure their union brethren with relative impunity. The PA seems more worried about a 4th liner getting fined $2500 than Crosby or McDavid getting slashed and crosschecked 10 times a game. If the PA came out and backed the league in cracking down on penalties and harsher suspensions, I believe you’d see an improvement. I’ve never seen the MSM take the union to task on this point.

89. Diablo says:

Considering they’ve won gold in the past two Olympics and the World Cup, I don’t think they should change anything about their approach just to accommodate Taylor Hall.

90. Diablo says:

Melman:
    Professor Q,

The most ridiculous thing about it is the fact that the NHLPA does nothing to pressure or encourage the league to crack down on idiots like Kesler/Cooke/Perry/Kadri who consistently injure their union brethren with relative impunity.The PA seems more worried about a 4th liner getting fined $2500 than Crosby or McDavid getting slashed and crosschecked 10 times a game.If the PA came out and backed the league in cracking down on penalties and harsher suspensions, I believe you’d see an improvement.I’ve never seen the MSM take the union to task on this point.

That’s what you get when your union is mostly headed up by 4th line pluggers.

Problem for guys like Crosby and McDavid, is that it “goes against the code” to speak out against players who play like goons because “they’re just trying to stay in the league and make a living”.

91. Whatif says:

Yeti,

Yeti, that is exactly the point. No mention was made of trading for futures. Would a player such as Bozak or Henrique or some other similar player get the Oilers what they need while at the same time somewhat offsetting the loss of Maroon’s production?

The key is a replacement player (i.e. 3C) that can contribute other needed skills. I am not suggesting we limit our targets to UFAs but rather look for a hockey trade.

92. Diablo says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

Yeah – I was hoping that Gretz would rip the refs a new one.
    I’m guessing that as a group, Chia, Gretz, TMac had many conversions about whether they would do so or not – I assume they decided against it for the reason that they didn’t feel it would benefit the team.

93. Dominoiler says:

So,

If the Oilers keep Nuge, can we all agree that the Oilers need to go Full Unicorns?.. McD, Leon, and Nuge with a hard minutes line.. this way McD can bounce between any of the three lines to through off line matching?.. getting enough ‘Top 9’ wingers could be the tough part, but thats the play, imo..

94. classict says:

Could be it happens in the next best on best tournament. I think Babcock has said he’s going to step back from coaching them so maybe we see a different look.

It being not taking almost all C’s, Hall still probably needs to put up a ~75pt year to have a shot on one of the teams.

95. jzed says:

1st game against Anaheim next year:
    Every faceoff Kessler takes is against Lucic, Maroon, or Kassian, who are sworn to complete a headbut, slash or cross check on every draw. During the play, Oil match lines to get Kassian on ice with Ryan, sworn to play”exactly like Kessler” every second he is playing against Kessler. Also, no chatter, at all, even if they win 20-0. Kessler should be susceptible to some sort of injury by late in the 3rd. Now everyone on the bench is set out to take runs at him , high, low, no elbows or sticks, just high speed contact. As they stretcher this miserable prick off the ice, all fans and players stand and stare at Carlyle in silence.

Either that or one of our guys grabs him on the first face off and breaks his face. They’ve instituted the Instigator (protect sleazy fucks) rule, this is what the NHL wants.

96. Thinker says:

The NHL just needs to call the rules. After the first lockout, everything was called. You couldn’t even pin a guy against the boards with one hand on your stick. It may have been too extreme, but the players adjusted. Then they slowly pushed further and further until we are back at clutch and grab, but I think it would be more appropriate to call it the “hack and whack era”. I enjoy international hockey a lot more not because there is no fighting, but because there is significantly less holding and other bs.

This is a reactive league though. That’s why charges are only penalties/suspensions if the victim is hurt. Until a big name call the NHL out on it, and gets the media circling, nothing will be done.

97. Woogie63 says:

Here are the last 20 Bill Hunter Memorial winners, it is not a guarantee Mr. Bear becomes a Top 4 dman on a good team.

2016-17 Ethan Bear Seattle Thunderbirds
    1998–99 Brad Stuart Calgary Hitmen
    1997–98 Michal Rozsival Swift Current Broncos
    1996–97 Chris Phillips Lethbridge Hurricanes

98. Ducey says:

jzed:
    1st game against Anaheim next year:

Either that or one of our guys grabs him on the first face off and breaks his face. They’veinstituted the Instigator (protect sleazy fucks) rule, this is what the NHL wants.

Just dress three Moroz types for game 1. You might lose it, but you win the series.

You get to play one playoff game. Your mission: severely injure Kesler. We”ll pay the suspension.

The league is giving teams no choice but to resort to rough justice, so rough justice it will be.

99. Professor Q says:

As an aside, does anyone know why and how Seattle had two Captains on the ice?

Or did the one just switch jerseys for the Cup raising ceremony?

100. healthyscratch says:

2001–02Dan HamhuisPrince George Cougars
    2000–01Christian ChartierPrince George Cougars
    1999–00Micki DupontKamloops Blazers
    1998–99Brad StuartCalgary Hitmen
    1997–98Michal RozsivalSwift Current Broncos
    1996–97Chris PhillipsLethbridge Hurricanes

So worst case he becomes Kris Russell?

101. Woogie63 says:

healthyscratch,

Mickie DuPont has me more concerned

102. Jaxon says:

I think (I hope) you’ll be adding Spencer Foo to the “Possible Recall Options 2017-2018” soon. If it’s a list of “possibles”, I think you could add Ryan Mantha and Caleb Jones. Mantha has more of a chance just because of the RH issue, where there are currently only 2 RHD ahead of Mantha and Bear on the depth chart.

Bear’s offence is astounding and I could see him making the team. His NHLE from the regular season was 24 pts, his NHLE from the playoffs so far is 34 pts. I know the playoff stat is cherry picking, but that puts him in elite territory for a Draft+2 season. 34 is in the PK Subban (36), Alex Pietrangelo (30) territory. His 24 ties him with Nurse, Barrie and Hamonic in their draft+2 seasons. This following a draft+1 season that saw him get an NHLE of 21 pts in the regular season and an NHLE of 27 pts in the playoffs. Once again, his 21 pts ties him with Nurse, Subban and Pietrangelo and his 27 pts in the playoffs puts him between the NHLEs of Barrie (25) and Justin Faulk (31) in their draft+1 seasons. I think all those players spent their draft+3 seasons in the NHL with very little AHL time.

Previous Bill Hunter Award Winners: Ivan Provorov, Shea Theodore, Alex Petrovic, Tyson Barrie, Karl Alzner, Kris Russell x 2, Dion Phaneuf x 2, Dan Hamhuis. OHL D of the year winner: Mikhail SErgachev, Anthony DeAngelo, Aaron Ekblad, Ryan Sproul, Dougie Hamilton, Ryan Ellis x 2, Jake Muzzin, Drew Doughty, Marc Staal, Andrej Sekera. Winning D of the year in a CHL league is a pretty damn good indicator of future NHL ability.

103. Jaxon says:

Woogie63,

Absolutely, but most of them became dependable D. Only a few didn’t make it. I’m not sure what happened to Blum (110 NHL games + 12 playoff games). He had so much promise. Elliott never quite made it (84 regular season games played), I believe mostly due to the defensive side of his game and not playing very tough. He topped out at 191 lbs. Bear is already 205 lbs. I think Chartier (0 NHL games) was probably propped up by being paired with Dan Hamhuis. I’m not sure what happened with Micki Dupont either (23 NHL games). He was a bit on the small side (5’10”, 186 lbs today, so I imagine he was lighter on draft day), so maybe that factored in. I think Shea Theodore would be considered a success story now. The jury is still out on Pouliot and Kichton, as Pouliot is in the playoffs for a contender right now, although I think Kichton may be running out of time soon.

Out of 20 years and 18 player, Blum, Elliott, Chartier, Dupont, and Kichton haven’t turned out. 5 out of 20 years. 15 out of 20 years look promising, or 13 out of 18 players look promising. I’ll take a 72% chance on a player any day.

Combine that with his impressive draft+1 and draft+2 NHLEs and you’ve got a compelling case for a future impact player.