RE 16-17 RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS: CREEP

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was drafted No. 1 overall because of his complete skill set. He showed tremendous early potential on the power play and two-way acumen that should sustain him a long time in the world’s best league. In recent seasons, the boxcars have faded and there is talk of sending him to another town. Is this a case of not getting the old power-play time, or has the Nuge forgotten how to score goals? (Creep).

RNH 2016-17

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.45 (6th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 4.01 (5th among regular forwards)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 49.1
  • Corsi Rel 5×5 %: -1.6
  • DFF Elite 5×5 %: 44.3
  • DFF Elite Rel 5×5 %: -3.6 (42 percent of TOI v. elites)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 200 shots/9.0%
  • Boxcars: 82, 18-25-43
  • (All numbers via Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com and hockey-reference)
  • Special thanks to GMoney and Woodguy for sharing the DFF’s

REASONABLE EXPECTATIONS

• RE 16-17: 75gp, 20-31-51 (0.680)
  • Actual 16-17: 82, 18-25-43 (0.524)
  1. His offense is eroding. In his first three (non-lockout) seasons, Nuge scored 50+ points. In the two years since, he posted 34 points (in 55 games) and 43 this past season. Some of that has to do with usage (less power-play offense) and some to do with injury.
  2. What are his 5×5/60 numbers over the years? Since 2011 (his rookie year), 5×5/60 numbers are 1.95, 1.12, 1.50, 1.92, 1.36 and 1.45 this past year. None of these numbers approach impact status and it’s clear at this point that the Nuge isn’t going to push the offensive river. Not fatal, since he can play a strong two-way game and much of those 5×5/60 numbers come against elites.
  3. Where does his offense come from? In his first season, it was 5×4. Nuge in 11-12 (7.24/60 in 174 minutes) was magic (Dellow called him a witch) on the 5×4. This season he played almost 150 minutes and posted a 4.01 5×4/60. The power-play point difference between his rookie season and this one (21 to 10) is basically the missing 10 points on his season.
  4. So if he could get back on the 1PP, it would be good? Sure, except McDavid has the job for the next decade or so.
  5. Oh well, Carolina has nice winters! You might be ahead of yourself there.
  6. How so? What can Nuge bring that is unique? The Woodmoney’s give us a clue. Nuge played 42 percent of his 5×5 icetime this year against elite competition, a total of 444 minutes. McDavid played 36 percent of his time (467 minutes), Mark Letestu 23 percent (167 minutes) and Drake Caggiula 23 percent (144 minutes).
  7. Leon will take care of it! Eventually, that may be true. However, RNH offers shelter from the storm, at least for another season. I can see him getting dealt when McDavid’s contract clicks in, but another year for Nugent-Hopkins makes a lot of sense.
  8. What about using him as a soft minutes center? I don’t like that idea, it’s like using a terrific center fielder at first base. Even if he hits enough to be better than replacement level, why in h-e-double-hockey-sticks are you playing a centerfielder at first base? Why waste that talent?
  9. Well, because McDavid and Draisaitl can score more while playing the tough opposition! We have no evidence of Draisaitl doing it as a Stone Alone center. Leon’s 5×5 elite numbers (35 percent, 410 minutes) were a lot about time with 97. We have a very small window of evidence suggesting that Draisaitl can power a line 5×5 all by his lonesome.
  10. Uh, the Anaheim series? Hellooo! Small sample size. It’s not a good idea to make big bets based on small sample sizes.
  11. You’re being silly. No sir. If Peter Chiarelli wants to make that bet (Leon as C versus tough opposition) then so be it. However, there is risk involved there.
  12. Who are his career comparables? After six seasons, his closest comps are Ryan Johansen, Blake Wheeler, Gabriel Landeskog.
  13. That’s a strong group. Nuge is an excellent player.
  14. He seems to have lulls. Yeah. He was outstanding at the World Cup of Hockey and then faded right away. He went 24gp, 3-7-10 (.417) to start the year and 58gp, 15-18-33 (.569) beginning December 1.
  15. How much of these number issues are about Hall’s exit? Nuge’s 5×5/60 was slightly better this year.
  16. Who did he play well with this season? He was over 50 percent in possession with Lucic and Eberle, scored 1.53/60 with Lucic.
  17. What about his faceoff showing? I don’t hold the faceoff stat as being as vital as many do, so it’s not the giant issue for me that it is for some others.
  18. This is where you stats nuts lose me. I’m not a stats nut, but do value good information that offers insight into the game. I value faceoffs more than some stats folks, but if you look at the current cutting edge work, the impact of a single faceoff win or loss is not overwhelming.
  19. Nuge can’t win faceoffs! Well, one of the things Edmonton may do next season is deploy a RHC on his line. Nuge can take his strong side faeoffs and Letestu (as an example) can take his strong side faceoffs. Bottom line though, is that events that follow faceoffs can have equal or greater importance than the faceoffs, as battles are joined and ended constantly.
  20. Single events can have huge importance while still being blah blah blah? Well, yes. I think faceoffs have importance but wouldn’t punish Nuge’s evaluation of his season based on that single element of his game.
  21. He should be better at this, no? Yes. Nuge should be getting better as he ages. It is not happening and I think it’s fair to point at the player in this area.
  22. Are you still worried about his being dealt? Not as much as last summer, when I really thought he was going.
  23. So, he’ll be dealt tonight. Yes. Lol.
  24. Who should he play with next season? Why don’t we talk about that in the August RE.
  25. Is Nuge still your favorite Oiler? Yes, in the non-McDavid division.
  26. Why this song? Creep implies close, maybe too close and that is RNH. He is a demon on the forecheck and effective in coverage. Nuge can cover well when he has good help. That’s why he plays so much against elite opposition.
  27. And you still don’t think he should be used on a soft parade line? Not at this point in his career, no. It’s a complete waste of his talents. Despite the possession numbers above, I believe RNH was deployed correctly by Todd McLellan.
  28. So you like his season? If he had career average shooting percentage, Nuge would have finished 22-25-47 and we would be having a different conversation. I’m onside with Nuge. He’s a winner in my books, I would rather see him in Carolina than on a soft minutes line with Drake Caggiula and Jesse Puljujarvi. He should play in the heart of the game.
  29. Why can’t he get bigger and stronger? I honestly don’t know. Charles Atlas is dead? Maybe that’s it.

65 Responses to "RE 16-17 RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS: CREEP"

1. MacT's Neglected Helmet says:

Nuge has turned into a really streaky player. Seems to fall into scoring droughts often. Usually doesn’t seem like it’s a lack of effort. Maybe injuries? Maybe luck? Maybe mental? Maybe… he’s just not very good offensively? It’s weird.

2. Ducey says:

Shots/60 5 x 5
    Pitlick 10.69
    McDavid 8.70
    Eberle 8.30
    Nuge 8.13
    Maroon 7.37

Leon 5.28

Love the Nuge. He will be only 24 all next year. Trading him would be a massive mistake.

3. John Chambers says:

I would argue that this player has been remarkably consistent throughout his career. His Nugeness has always provided speed and smarts on both sides of the puck with an ability to chip in top-6 offence.

The changes for RNH pertain to linemates and deployment. You could add 10 even-strength points to his total if he played with Taylor Hall, and another 10 if he was first pp.

It’s the same player, just his circumstances are vastly different.

4. Thinker says:

I’m not trading another Horcoff. That move tanked our forwards for years…

Thinker:
    I’m not trading another Horcoff. That move tanked our forwards for years…

A-freaking-men!

6. --hudson-- says:

What happened to the Nuge that walked around Lidstrom?

He seems to plays a safe game, whereas he needs to push a little more, and try to get the opponent defending more. Hoping he can find it in his game again.

He’s also my favorite Oiler (non-McD division)

7. BlueNoteNorth says:

After finally getting some depth at centre, and the high reviews given by TMac, I would be very surprised if Nuge was traded.

8. Jethro Tull says:

Thinker:
    I’m not trading another Horcoff. That move tanked our forwards for years…

No, the contract he was signed to tanked our forwards for years.

Not his fault, he was hardly going to turn it down.

9. Thinker says:

Nuge is a remarkable shutdown C, but you might get more value from him if you can get another guy for 3C. Let’s just call him Boyd Gordon. Connor, Nuge, Gordon, Letestu with Drai playing 1RW is a scary good Center group.

I still think the biggest problem we had last year is having no 3line players. Nuge and Eberle have too much offensive ability to be in a shutdown role. Using them as such is probably going to cost one of them a job. It may cost us one of the tweeners, but we need to find some shutdown players. Wish we knew for sure that Lander can’t play, because I still think he would be perfect, even if he isn’t really scoring.

10. Scungilli Slushy says:

I’ve been thinking a lot about Nuge, and what is the balance for good players. What came to mind sounds like an 80’s new wave album – Engineers and Artists.

There are players that are artists, skill and beauty and risk taking. Then there are engineers, precision and technique, safe.

The best players can do both. And it descends from there.

Nuge has art in him, but he’s been working at the technical, succeeding except in face offs, although he won a few key ones in the last game.

Eberle is an artist that struggles learning the technical side . Connor struggled with the technical side , but he’s Da Vinci. Leon being a good Kraftwerker with a slick haircut went back and forth.

McLellan said Nuge has more offense in him, more art, and he does, but he’ll have to take more risks which will lead him back to his higher offense. The rub is learning ‘when’ to do that, which all have to including Gretzky. He has the noodle for it, maybe not the time.

11. Glass says:

It should be acknowledged that he was playing with an inconsistent and struggling Lucic at 5×5, a player in an extreme slump in Pouliot, and Eberle who had a career-low season. Could all that be attributed to Nuge? I don’t think so. I would like to see the look of Draisaitl with Nuge, as I think he’ll continue to have trouble lugging Lucic around at 5×5.

12. SkatinginSand says:

John Chambers,

According to Puckalytics, during their years together, when RNH and Hall were together, RNH had a GF/60 of 2.50. When apart. RNH’s GF/60 was 2.71. Where did you get this 10 extra points playing with Hall from?

If one can get a legit cost-controlled #2RD like Faulk or Dumba, that is the only scenario I am favour of trading him, except….

IT IS in Nugent-Hopkins’ best interest to be traded (the coach favors others), and if he really wants to go (which we will never know), I hope he gets traded, for his sake.

14. Jon K says:

“But I’m a creep, I’m a weirdo.
    What the hell am I doing here?
    I don’t belong here.”

Ouch, hopefully Nuge gets a chance to show he belongs here. Not his fault that Tambellini gave him a contract based on symmetry rather than performance. But of course, he signed it and must now be judged on his contributions relative to it.

Also, let’s be honest, Nuge’s song was decided about halfway through the first round when we all got a good glimpse of his playoff ‘stache. A glimpse was all I could a manage at a time, at least. Haha.

If there was only one thing that I could get Nuge to work on, it would be the quickness of his release. He’s got a pretty accurate wrist shot but he doesn’t get it off fast enough. One fan’s opinion based on the eye test.

15. Centre of attention says:

Emmanuel Perry‏ @MannyElk 3m3 minutes ago

Emmanuel Perry‏ @MannyElk 1m1 minute ago

Emmanuel Perry‏ @MannyElk 10m10 minutes ago

I present this chain of tweets without comment.

16. judgedrude says:

Am I doing this right?

23 year old seasons:

82 gp – 18 – 25 – 43
    70 gp – 11 – 24 – 35

One is RNH while the other is a likely Hall of Famer. LT chose not to use the HOFer as a comparable, though…It might cause a riot.

I still think RNH has more to come…

17. Rondo says:

What a great version of this song.

18. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

godot10,

– Great post LT! Godot this is an excellent point which is often forgotten. For RNH how much is he going to get paid next contract if he’s the third C on this team and limited PP. it is in his interest to look elsewhere.

– Same for ebs. His next contract is predicated in his scoring. If he isn’t be asked to score it’s in his best interest long term to find employment elsewhere

– Sure the coach has the hammer on ice time and how he wants you to play but at the end of the day these guys want to get paid and be put in optimal offence opportunities.

judgedrude:
    Am I doing this right?

23 year old seasons:

82 gp – 18 – 25 – 43
    70 gp – 11 – 24 – 35

One is RNH while the other is a likely Hall of Famer.LT chose not to use the HOFer as a comparable, though…It might cause a riot.

I still think RNH has more to come…

I always try to make comparables era sensitive so usually go back to the turn of the century and then forward. Otherwise it gets messy era to era. Even comparing 2006 to 2017 is kind of difficult.

20. Hemmertime says:

RNH
    20 yr old: 19-37-56 0.700 PPG
    21 yr old: 24-32-56 0.736 PPG
    22 yr old: 12-22-34 0.618 PPG
    23 yr old: 18-25-43 0.524 PPG
    0.645 PPG

Henrik Sedin
    20 yr old: 9-20-29 0.354 PPG
    21 yr old: 16-20-36 0.463 PPG
    22 yr old: 8-31-39 0.500 PPG
    23 yr old: 11-31-42 0.553 PPG
    0.459 PPG

Followed by 76,81,76,82,112,94,81 pt seasons for Henrik. Sure the curve is going up consistently and Nuge’s seems to be going the wrong way but circumstances were different. If Van won the Crosby lottery Henrik’s usage would have been different after too, however Nuge ice time would be greater than Henriks as well I imagine.

53 vs 38 pts average/82 gp is not a small gap and nothing to turn your nose up at. Its crazy to think hes 13 months older than Slepyshev and 14 months than Drake since it seems he has been around here forever.

21. VOR says:

Judgedrude,

I would freely admit there are some legitimate points of comparison between RNH and Pavel Datsyuk. But purists are going to argue that RNH’s inability to take draws will prevent him ever being the defensive player Datysuk was. Pavel’s life time face off % is something like 54%. Ryan Nugent Hopkins is just over 43% if I remember correctly.

I am on record as saying I really don’t think face off win percentages matter very much. But I can’t think of another example of a great checking center who wasn’t also a great face off man. Maybe you know an example. I would think the fact that RNH lacks elite face off skills will ultimately limit the way coaches utilize him. I’m not sure it should but I think it will.

22. Little Poteet says:

Haven’t read the article yet, but I’m assuming to chose creep Because of Nuge’s mustache and not for the line “I don’t belong here”.

23. OF17 says:

Personally, I think using Nuge on a 5v5 saw-off line is a misuse of his talents as well. He played a lot versus the elites, but he also only managed a 44% DFF% with a negative Rel. He’s not getting killed, but he’s not doing well either.

When you compare his 15/16 DFF% versus elites (41.1%, -7.8% RelTeam and -3.2% RelComp) to Martin Hanzal’s (46.4%, +0.3% Rel Team and +1.5% RelComp), the WoodMoneys are easy to interpret. I don’t have the 16/17 numbers, but if we’re looking for a Dragon Slayer to give McDavid and Draisaitl some clean air, doesn’t Hanzal seem like a better option?

It’s not all roses, since Hanzal doesn’t bring as much offense, so he doesn’t provide as much cover for injuries. But he also brings size and faceoff ability that Nuge doesn’t. Faceoffs may be overrated in general, but they certainly hindered our chances against Anaheim. Hanzal is also likely going to cost $1.5M-$2M less than Nuge on an annual basis.

I like Nuge a lot, but I think the play here is to trade him to a team that will play him in a top-6, two-way role, not primarily a shutdown one, and sign someone that’s a better fit for the job the Oilers need.

24. frjohnk says:

SkatinginSand:
    John Chambers,

According to Puckalytics, during their years together, when RNH and Hall were together, RNH had a GF/60 of 2.50. When apart. RNH’s GF/60 was 2.71.Where did you get this 10 extra points playing with Hall from?

You have it backwards
    Together GF/60 was 2.71
    RNH away from Hall GF/60 of 2.31

25. Nuclear leak says:

I can’t see anyway Nuge is shipped unless it’s for a equal value or overpay. Nuge is the goods, just needs to get a shooter tutor and next season look out! No more high and wide Nuge! No more.

If he can become more of a prick, he’s a fucking Kesler if Kesler wasn’t such a mouldy douche.

Nuge allows TMac to deploy 97/29 separate or together and cause the opposing coach heart burn.

26. dolenator says:

If we would of had a more dangerous point threat on our 2nd pp unit would we have a stronger 2nd unit and then pp points for nuge and ebs?

27. frjohnk says:

SkatinginSand,

I forgot about corsica. They have WOWYs as well. But better than puckalytics.

RNH with Taylor Hall
    CF% 50.2
    GF% 52.6%
    XGF% 51%

RNH W/O Hall
    CF% 45.9%
    GF% 45.2%
    XGF% 45.1%

Im a bit surprised on how poor RNH’s numbers are without Hall.

I knew they took a bit of a hit, but didnt think they were that much.

I have said for the past year that I believe RNH needed a driver on his line especially if he is playing the toughs, and if the Oilers are to play RNH, Draisaitl and McDavid all in the top 6, the play would be to put Draisaitl with RNH.

28. who says:

OF17:

29. russ99 says:

IMO, his play during the World Cup was a small sample size, playing very different hockey that we see in playoff competition, which is what we need to build our team for.

There’s no disputing his play when we don’t have the puck, just that I’d like to see more, to really shut down the opposition we need to see a Getzlaf or non-dirty Kesler level of tough play, and for a guy who’s 6’1″ 195lbs he doesn’t really have a physical edge to his game, something valued by our brass and will be much more needed once Draisaitl clams that a second line center for good, since he has all those qualities we need in a second line center that Nuge is missing.

Putting him on a soft minutes line or at RW would be a total waste, and also set a poor example to other players that the club will carry you if you have a flawed game or aren’t living up to expectations.

Every move we make now is towards a cup, and if we’re not doing that, those are moves away from a cup, like playing favorites or pushing dreams of unicorns, when the silverware is all that matters.

If he comes to camp with 15 pounds more muscle and is willing to get in the trenches (not to mention use more strength and leverage to get better at faceoffs – which are important in the postseason) we could have a player.

But there’s little to assume that will happen. Especially with the exit interview where the Oilers are emphasizing offense, and with Nuge, it’s the rush and nothing else. He should sit down and watch the playoff game tape of how often he lost the puck on the cycle in the offensive zone on the wall, or didn’t get to the corner to keep the puck in their zone. These are things that don’t show up in a Corsi number.

I’d be inclined to move Nuge for D, give Hanzal 3/$4.75, as he’s all the things Nuge isn’t and rarely loses a puck battle, with the caveat of also finding McDavid’s shooter at RW to make up any offense and move Draisaitl to 2C unless matchups give us an advantage.

30. thelongway says:

i love the nuge and I love creep, but total threadjack, and I apologise in advance. I’ve been a lurker and rare poster for I think a decade here, and I truly value your guys’ opinions/thoughts on many things ( Showerhead your post on the mother’s day thread was awesome, Jethro the link to brainpickings, to name a few recent examples } i’m curious what sort of opinion you guys have on alcohol. I didn’t really drink at all until about my mid 30’s, now i’m in my mid 40’s and sort of all of a sudden I wonder if it might be a problem. taking stock of the last few years i’d have to say I drink every night. rarely less then a six pack, but also rarely more. do any of you know if this kind of habitual drinking is sustainable by the body and mind? or should I be concerned about this intake.
    I appreciate any insight in advance, and thank you (again) Lowetide for this excellent place, it truly feels like a community

31. jtblack says:

Hemmertime,

Are you suggesting Nuge will out up around 76 points next yr? Ithink the compaarison to Hank is a little outlandish.

RNH has seen his production drop 4 yrs in a row. For some he Had Hall, for some he played 1st PP, for some he was in bad teams, last yr on good team. It seems Oilers Nation has every excuse as to why RNH is simply not better.

I think RNH is is GOOD at a lot of things and not great at any. If we removed the name. I think for thisbyear we keep this olayer and give him 1 more yr to find Good Arrows. I dont are about the excuses; with a $6 Million Cap Hit, RNH needs to bring 20 G 55 Pt season the the table & be solid defensively.

I like RNH and hope he stays. I would also bever compare him to H Sedin or Datsyuk. Galenchyuk, Henrique, – thiose seem more realistic.

32. Lloyd B. says:

thelongway:

The folks in AA would tell you that you definitely have a problem. I am not so judgmental on that subject.

What I do have more of a concern with, is that you are unaware of the return button. It is a personal pet peeve.

A wall of text is so very hard to read and follow.

Not speaking for any of the others here, but when I see a solid block of writing, the first two sentences had better be dynamite or I’m off the the next comment.

CHEERS!

33. thelongway says:

Lloyd B.,

noted

34. Thinker says:

thelongway:

Sounds expensive. You only have a problem if it is affecting other parts of your life, which I imagine it is, weight gain, lack of social interaction, etc. I’d try to dial it back, and if you find it’s an addiction, contact an expert.

35. Thinker says:

who: For most of this season Nuge was used as a 2C and next year will probably see a lot more of the same. Tmac likes to play Mcdavid and Drai together which means the Oilers need another center. Trading Nuge away seems rather counterproductive unless you think the Oilers are adding two quality centers. That seems like a pretty tall order.

He played them together because right wing was Jordan Eberle and gum. I imagine he would have been 3C if Versteeg signed.

36. thelongway says:

Thinker,

appreciate that. i’m a very slim fellow, active job.

lack of social interaction perhaps is part of the cause…

I’m pretty sure there’re some doctors round here, certainly well-educated and experienced people, wondering more about possible long term ramifications

37. Diablo says:

thelongway:
    Lloyd B.,

noted

The standards for alcohol overuse are:
    – more than 14 drinks per week on average for men.
    – more than 10 drinks per week on average for women.

The short answer is this – if you continue to drink like this, your health will become compromised down the road.

I’m a physician but I’m not yours (and this is really not an appropriate forum) – my advice would be to talk to your health care professional.

Good luck sir.

Now lets get back to talking hockey.

38. thelongway says:

Diablo,

39. thelongway says:

thelongway,

I won’t even ask about smoking 😉

40. VOR says:

When you are scouting hockey players (juniors or pros) it is easy to fall into the trap of the large man delusion.

It plays out a lot of different ways.

One classic example is “he’s fast for a big man”. Before we go on, have any of you ever heard a scout, a GM, or a talking head, say “he’s fast for a small man!”. Didn’t think so. There is just fast and slow for average and undersized players but apparently there is a separate speed rating system for big men. All of which being said, nobody has ever suggested Martin Hanzal is “fast for a big man”. Nope, everybody agrees he is slow.

Our brain tells us that the larger man wins most puck battles. Then when a big man wins a puck battle we say “see, he is a dominant physical force”. When a little man, and for years this is what people said about Pavel Datysuk, wins a physical battle it is ‘my God that is amazing, he was a bit lucky there.” When said player loses a puck battle we go, “see, he isn’t strong enough to play in the NHL (or some version there of)”. The only stat we have, and it is a very poor one, which is why I have spent so much time trying to come up with a better measure of physical play, is GVA and TA. By that stat RNH is better than Hanzal, engages in slightly more puck battles and wins slightly more.

So if you leave out Martin Hanzal’s size advantage what we would have to say, if we were really unbiased is that by substituting Hanzal for Nugent-Hopkins the Oilers would:

-improve significantly on face offs
    -lose significantly on offence
    -gain slightly on defense
    -gain slightly in puck possession
    -lose significantly in terms of team speed
    -be slightly more aggressive
    -be significantly less creative
    -lose significantly in terms of flexibility

On net, an unbiased assessment would be that it would be far better for the Oilers to keep RNH for the upcoming season than to replace him with Hanzal straight up. And yes I know that is not the idea. The plan is to trade RNH for something the Oilers need, like a 2RD, and sign Hanzal.

So in reality it would be something like:

Russell out
    Hopkins out

2RD in
    Hanzal in

Bottom line for me is that the new 2RD needs to be one hell of an upgrade on Russell to make up for the loss in offence the Oilers will suffer moving to Hanzal from RNH.

41. VOR says:

I actually find it strange, given how well our season went, that the Oilers would be doing more than tinkering at the edges – Eberle and Hopkins aren’t the edges. They are the secondary scoring that every NHL team dreams of having. But according to a remarkable number of fans we can’t afford to keep them, though this year we could afford it without too much effort. It is really in the next off season something has to give.

42. Lloyd B. says:

VOR:

Agree completely. Replace Russel with the same player type BUT a right hand shot. 6% increase in the fancies.

Find a RH center that can win face offs and pot 15 goals a year instead of Desharnais and Bob is your uncle.

43. Soup Fascist says:

Spoiler Alert. The answer is Draisaitl. The answer always has been Draisaitl.

Not sure Todd agrees, but they go together like Fric and Frac.

Connor anchoring one line. Drai and Nuge on line two. Add a capable big 3rd line centre and Bob is indeed, your uncle.

44. judgedrude says:

VOR,

Yes, and this is part of the issue. Looking at where Nuge is now and comparing him to others with 5 years experience starting later.

Things like faceoffs is a learned skill that gets better with experience. Even through the playoffs, Nuge seemed to get better. RNH will improve, and I hate to see him written off. In 2015 BC (before Connor), I had RNH pegged as the next captain. Those building blocks are still there, and he has skills found nowhere else on the lineup.

45. season not played says:

thelongway,

What you are doing can certainly be called a ‘drinking problem’ but that amount of drinking can be easily sustained and probably never actually turn in to a problem. As one pointed out, is it affecting any other parts of your life?

Here are the real questions to know if you are an alcoholic.

Is alcohol creeping into parts of your daily life? I’m not talking about a social at lunch, Im talking about a shot out of a bottle to get out of the house in the morning. Or maybe a bottle hidden in you truck so you can have a shot during the day to sustain your equilibrium?

Do you feel sick when the alcohol level in your body gets too low?

Lost weekends?

Financial problems?

Hidden bottles around the house to hide drinking from partner?

Thoughts of suicide?

Answer yes to any, which given the amount you are drinking I would say no, and you are an alcoholic.

Otherwise, you’re fine. BTW, the longer you stay away from hard alcohol the better off you’ll be.

Good luck. You never want to know the feeling of not being able to have a cold beer after a hot day because you can’t go near alcohol.

46. stevezie says:

VOR,

Great post.

VOR,

As convinced I am that bI would make a fine executive, it doesn’t take long on twitter/listening to a call in show/talking to some of my most educated friends to become very thankful the fans aren’t running the Oilers.

I say-with absolutely no exaggeration- that realising how bad most people’s ideas for running something as simple as a hockey team are has lead me to lose most of my interest in democracy.

47. stevezie says:

Centre of attention:
    Emmanuel Perry‏ @MannyElk3m3 minutes agoWorking on WAR has reminded me of something I learned when developing K. We desperately need to move on from relative stats.

Emmanuel Perry‏ @MannyElk1m1 minute agoWe think entirely too highly of players who excel in comparison with their poor supporting casts. Good players on bad teams are overvalued.

Emmanuel Perry‏ @MannyElk10m10 minutes agoA team’s results are driven primarily by the contributions of its top-end players. It’s fair to question value when those results are poor.

I present this chain of tweets without comment.

This is an interesting string and I agree that good players on bad teams (in most sports) the good players on bad teams are overrated.

However, I disagree with Emmanuel a little. A team’s good results are driven by it’s good players, it’s weak links have a lot to do with how well the other team does. This year’s Oilers were SO much better off for not having any truly terrible players.

It is fair to question anything, but hockey is such a fluid game that I think it’s impossible to look at any player without giving a lot of consideration to his team. If Perry can prove me wrong, God bless him.

48. JustWatt says:

Soup Fascist:

Spoiler Alert. The answer is Draisaitl. The answer always has been Draisaitl.

Not sure Todd agrees, but they go together like Fric and Frac.

Lucic -Nuge-Drai

Maroon-McDavid-Eberle

Drai can potentially fix face offs (they can platform like McD and Drai this year) and offense on the second line. McDavid will figure out face offs and he doesn’t need help driving the bus.

Eberle needs a rebound year and I would bet that he comes to camp ready to shoot the lights out. We don’t have anyone to replace even his mediocre offense from this year. Keep him one more season, put him in a position to succeed, and pray for rain. Eberle had probably the worst half a season of his career to start this past year; if he comes out ready to fire the pill and get into the shooting lanes closer to the net, he and McDavid could make sweet music.

Obviously I have a lot of time for Ebs. We saw him shoot like a stone cold killer too often to think he’s done yet. One more season I say.

49. russ99 says:

JustWatt: This echoes my own thoughts. Not only do I not think that they should NOT trade Nuge, they need to go back to trying combos that didn’t immediately click last season. One failed attempt does not mean things can’t work out.

Lucic -Nuge-Drai

Maroon-McDavid-Eberle

Ideally I’d prefer us to find a better right hand shot for Connor’s RW, but this summer, that’s not there and surely for not less than $6M anyway.

Nuge on the other hand has 4 more years to go at $6M, and having him center a cycle line seems a bad idea unless he can radically change his game. Not to mention that Lucic – Drai – Slepyshev could be a vastly better line on the rush and on the cycle and where would that leave Nuge?

He’s not a good fit for what this team needs to become to win a cup, and carrying him with his limitations lessen the chances for us to improve in other ways, and also limits us paying young players when we’re at the cap with McDavid’s ELC ending.

50. Soup Fascist says:

Lucic -Nuge-Drai

Maroon-McDavid-Eberle

I have Sleppy and possibly Cagguila in the top 6 too. The point is the wingers can be interchanged as required.

I am with you to a point with Eberle. I don’t want to trade him this summer, but more because his value is through the floor. See if he can put up some points and move him along, but you need to trade him or Nuge before 97’s contract hits the books.

51. who says:

VOR:

Can the Oilers afford to keep both of them if they can’t dump Fayne and Pouliot. And if they spend a total of 5 to 6 million on a 2D and 3C. That is the question.
    Personally I think Fayne and Pouliot are untradeable unless the Oilers are willing to throw in something significant. Therefore I would rather trade Eberle for something than lose someone like Caleb Jones, which has been suggested here by LT, just to dump Pouliot.

52. stevezie says:

who:

I agree, this is the question.

However, I get the feeling most people want them gone based on, “Nah, fuck those guys.”

Maybe I’m the jerk I dunno.

53. who says:

russ99: I’m on the same page with Ebs, if he ever gets his shot right, he could still be a high level scorer in this league, and his contract only has two years left, making it easier to move him for a good return if he does score more with McDavid.

You Keep hammering away on the merits of trading Nuge, which is fair since I have said some of the same things about Eberle. Quick question, who do you consider to be the better playe?
    Cause we are paying them the same money.

54. leadfarmer says:

thelongway:

I typically dont like giving medical advice over the interwebs, but that level of drinking is not sustainable by your liver long term. While not seeming like an outrageous amount for some, that level of daily consumption will cause inflammation in your liver and may very well end up in liver damage and maybe cirrhosis. If you stop cold turkey you will likely have withdrawal symptoms. I hope you reach out for the help you need because a lot of the time these issues get worse before they get better.

55. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

who,

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head right here.

That’s 7.625 million in cap space between those two.

Get rid of those contracts (or have one of them play to their potential) and you can kick the can down the road for a year or two.

Everyone keeps saying “all decision need to be taken to win a Cup”

Excellent point and I agree. Nuge helps you win Cups. That line went cold at the wrong time offensively, no disagreement here, but that also ignores the hard work on PK (4 of the 7 PKGA came in the blowout in San Jose) and keeping Pavelski and Co in check. Twas his first playoffs and overall I think his play was great but not excellent (he scores 2-3 goals and I call it excellent).

It would be great if he could add a few pounds but he’s also young and aside from one shoulder injury early on has no history of soft tissue injuries.

Outside of Calgary the Pacific will just continue to get older and slower as Nuge reaches prime time age. Valuable combo IMO

Now about those faceoffs…

56. jtblack says:

who,

Nuge is the better player hands down …. I say we keep him and move Ebs, but understand the logic or moving one and / or both … and have no problem if we do ..

The Oilers of 2 or 3 years ago consisted of a very similar player throughout their Top 9. Hall, Yak, RNH, Ebs, Perron, Roy, etc, etc … These players all could be lumped into the same package – Soft Skill … now before everyone flies off the handle. Hall is an Amazing Attacker and definite positive to have on a team, but if you polled 31 GM’s in the League they would not endorse him as an all around player. Ebs, Yak, Perron etc … These guys are the definition of soft skill … They are skilled players, who on a rush can leave you believing they are amazing …. But they rarely win puck battles on the boards, they are not great defensively and they are not physical at all ..

The Oilers now have the Mcd, Drai (decent defensively, strong skaters, can be physical, push the river) … Maroon, Lucic, Kassian, Slep, etc … This is the new PC player. you can sprinkle in the soft skill around that and roll …

Ebs has to be gone??? RNH I would keep for 1 more year …. but understand he could land the best value in a trade.

57. jtblack says:

Soup Fascist,

This same logic applied with Yak, ppl thought don’t trade him; wait til he lights it up then trade him … Or not …. LT has a good, logical approach .. Be realistic. Eberle has declining box cars and in a League that rewards fast players, he’s getting slower … He’s 7 years in. He is what he is … So expect Ebs to be a 20 Goal (25 on the high side) 50 point player .. The days of 34 Goal 76 Point Seasons are gone ….

Eberle still has value, but his value is what it is today … based on the above … Oilers Fan seem to think the Other 30 Gm’s are slow witted and that we can “pump & Dump” players like stocks … Like, if Eberle scores 7 Goals in the first 10 games next year, some GM is going to give us a Huge return for him …. Ebs is what he is. He has value, but it’s limited. Wingers have the least value in the LEague, that has nothing to do with Ebs or Hall; it’s just how the League is …Probably Ebs can return a useful piece as part of a package ..

58. Scungilli Slushy says:

VOR:

It plays out a lot of different ways.

-improve significantly on face offs
    -lose significantly on offence
    -gain slightly on defense
    -gain slightly in puck possession
    -lose significantly in terms of team speed
    -be slightly more aggressive
    -be significantly less creative
    -lose significantly in terms of flexibility

So in reality it would be something like:

Russell out
    Hopkins out

2RD in
    Hanzal in

For me it’s about mobility and assertiveness. Slow or immobile (sdges) players struggle as I see it in the playoffs when the tempo increases. There is little room and the inability to create space really hampers effectiveness.

Players that don’t have assertiveness suffer when intensity goes up. There are many forms of intensity. Where size comes in is that it is an advantage if used well. The lynch pin is hockey IQ, vision, thinking the game, whatever you want to call it.

Players that have all of the elements and grow their games are very often the league’s top players. each player has to be evaluated on their tool box and how they use it. For most players the peak may only be a few seasons, and if what they are doing starts trending down that impacts Speeds cap efficiency a lot.

A lot of moving parts to it.

59. Whatif says:

I am not a supporter of trading Eberle or Nugent-Hopkins. They both have skills and abilities that a SC contender requires.

I would propose the following lines in our top 6:

Lucic Draisaitl Slepyshev

RNH McDavid Eberle

This allows for Cagguila and Puljujarvi to be spotted in where necessary and keeps the top lines as fast and highly skilled. It also brings some defensive awareness and ability to the McDavid line.

It also allows for the Oilers to maximize their return by trading Maroon at the top of his game. He had a very effective and productive season this year. He should be seen as a tremendous bargaining chip for a team that requires scoring at a reasonable price. The chances of him having as good a season next year would appear remote and re-signing him will be costly.

In return, the Oilers would receive, via a hockey trade, a strong 3C or a valuable RH2D. Which ever need is not covered by this trade can potentially be filled by dipping in the UFA market.

60. Bag of Pucks says:

thelongway:

Survived having two parents that were alcoholics and yes ‘survived’ is the correct word, so admittedly, I don’t have a ton of empathy for this type of behaviour. If you have kids or a partner that depend on you, it’s one of the most selfish decisions you can make in this life imo.

That said, you’re drinking every day, and quite likely alone on many of those occasions. So, that sounds a lot like textbook alcoholism to me.

Since you asked advice, you should consult a physician immediately and take steps to detox safely.

Most importantly, you need to examine your life to determine why it is that you feel the need to habitually anesthetize yourself? Habitual usage of alcohol is typically a poor coping mechanism to mask unresolved traumas or anxieties in your life.

Good luck. Hope better days are ahead.

61. Bag of Pucks says:

When considering the prospects of trading Nuge vs Eberle, there’s two key factors I keep coming back to.

1) Which of the two can better impact the game when they’re not scoring?
    2) Which of the two projects more favourably as a playoff contributor?

This is where Eberle falls short for me. Despite some gains in this area, he’s doesn’t look to ever be a dominant defensive checker or forechecker. Further, he’s poor along the wall and in the corners, and lacks the burst to separate in traffic, so he doesn’t project favourably as a playoff scorer.

With RNH, there’s a contingent that keeps trying to position him as dominant defensive center but the numbers say otherwise and the FOs are a problem for that particular role. Spend the first 30secs of a shift trying to recover the puck and that’s a disadvantage. Team worst -10 this season.

That said, I do feel RNH does impact the game favourably on the forecheck and backcheck and has the range of skills to be a productive complimentary player offensively IF he’s paired with a legitimate river pusher. Leon has passed him on the corner and isn’t turning back. But keeping RNH gives you some nice roster versatility and injury depth at C as well.

For me, the play is trade Eberle for a two way 3C that can play tough mins and move RNH to the LW alongside McDavid or Leon.

62. FlameChampion says:

When I watched RNH play this year (and I might be biased b/c I do like him) couple things were pretty apparent:

1) He can not drive a line by himself

2) He never really got much help from his line mates

At the beginning of the year, I believe he played mainly with Pouillot. Pouillot was pretty poor to start the year. I think in previous years Pouillot was a demon on the forecheck and Hall created a lot of space. Well this year RNH didnt get any of the benefits of that.

Furthermore once Lucic and Eberle got taken off the first line, they got placed on the second line. From my eye it looked like RNH was competing hard and trying to make plays but he didnt have much ice out there. Lucic was pretty awful on 5v5 for the first 50-60 games, and Eberle has looked a bit checked out this year.

Also I think TM has RNH, Lucic and Eberle playing a chip and chase game plan. Eberle and RNH would often get to the puck first and Lucic last. Well Eberles not strong enough on the boards to play chip and chase. Lucic while he is strong physical man, he was too slow to get to puck first (and honestly didnt seem to be that strong on the boards either for whatever reason). So the line had a hard time sustaining any pressure. I think had Pouillot played like previous seasons, hes a pretty good compliment to RNH. But for whatever reason it didnt work this season and TM never really adjusted.

I’d still like to see RNH be at least given the chance to play with a driver and see how he looks. I think if he played on McDavids wing or Draitsaitls wing he would look a lot more dangerous. I think he has a pretty good motor, a pretty good shot, he just has troubles creating space for himself.

When it comes to Eberle, he has been given numerous chances to play with McDavid and Draitsaitl this year and hasnt really looked all that effective this year. He put up respectable points but he has really turned into a perimeter player this year. I am surprised that he did actually put up 51 points this year because he didnt look very effective. He has a low shooting percentage because he shoots from the perimeter, has a poor shot from the outside and shoots too often into the goalies crest. His low shooting percentage I dont believe is based on luck. He did go through a bit of a unlucky streak in the season where it seemed like he hit a ton of posts, so luck did of course was a factor. I think in order for Eberle to be effective he has to be on the inside and shooting from in close.

I just think Eberle needs a change of scenery. I would like to see RNH get one more year. I hope he trains harder this year and comes into the season on a mission. I would like to see RNH be placed in more of a position to succeed before we totally write him off. If he does get traded, I hope its to the east where I think his game will vastly improve.

63. thelongway says:

season not played, leadfarmer, bag of pucks,

thank you for the thoughts. we all come from different backgrounds and form different opinions about things. I appreciate all the input, each quite different 🙂
    i feel my drinking is habitual rather than an addiction. so i’m going to stop awhile, see what happens, perhaps i’m kidding myself

b o p, i sympathize for that background, I’ve known others with similar and its been difficult to get past for them. as far as i know my consumption affects no one but me. live alone, no kids.

season, yeah, i will always appreciate a cold beer on a hot day. just maybe not every hot day!

and lead, appreciate a bit of the science. i;m a bit surprised i may have withdrawal symptoms, but i can foresee wondering what to do with myself a bit more 🙂

thanks guys, although this thread is past already and my thanks may go unnoticed…