THE BLUE ROOM

I tried a year ago and missed it completely. I grabbed 27 names, basically four rosters worth of defensemen, in search of Peter Chiarelli’s target. Missed it by a mile. Source. This year I’m going to try it again, hopefully with a more accurate eye. List below is what I believe PC’s list may look like based on his own past.

THE TARGET BLUE, 2017 SUMMER

1. RD Mark Pysyk, Florida Panthers. There are several reasons to believe Pysyk would be attractive to the Oilers as a possible acquisition. The Panthers are drunk with righty blue, so may be more willing to deal one. Second, Pysyk performs very well in 5×5/60 SA, something the Oilers are rumored to value. Finally, he will be affordable (or should be) and can be signed this summer (RFA) for a comfortable term.
  2. RD Radko Gudas, Philadelphia Flyers. The first of two defenders who I doubt are available. Gudas has been a very effective player for a couple of years now, as well as being filthy enough to be genuinely scary. Flyers have some up and comers, perhaps he could be pried away for scoring. Makes $3.35 million times three.
  3. RD Josh Manson, Anaheim Ducks. Rugged, effective defensively and young enough to be good for a long time. Extremely unlikely to be available. Makes $825,000 next season.
  4. LD Kris Russell, Edmonton Oilers. The online reaction aside, suspect Peter Chiarelli likes the season delivered by Russell as an Oiler. The key issue is cap hit, followed by length of the deal. If Russell agrees to a two-year deal with a number that starts with a three, the rest of this list is probably moot.
  5. RD Matt Dumba, Minnesota Wild. There were rumors about him one year ago, there may be interest in him. One of the few defenders on this list who could fill the power-play hole that exists.
  6. RD Justin Faulk, Carolina Hurricanes. Probably the most attractive of the ‘acquirable’ puck movers this summer, his $4.833 million times three contract means another big contract has to be headed elsewhere. RNH has long been connected to the Hurricanes, that’s perhaps a possible match we could discuss in the coming days.
  7. RD Sami  Vatanen, Anaheim Ducks. Has chaos in his game, but is also very mobile and could help on the power play. $4.875M times three may be a reason he could be available. Does not have a strong SA/60, that is something I believe the Oilers value.
  8. RD Chris Tanev, Vancouver Canucks. I don’t really have a feel for what Edmonton’s level of interest might be, or if the Canucks are interested in trading him to a Pacific Division rival. He can certainly help but is paid a lot ($4.45 million times three) for a player who doesn’t deliver much offense.
  9. LD Zdeno Chara, Boston Bruins. There were rumors last summer about the big man, and if those rumors heat up again maybe PC visits the idea. Played over 23 minutes a game this past season, cap hit is $4 million in 2017-18.

THE TARGET (FA) BLUE, SUMMER 2017

1. RD Kevin Shattenkirk (80gp, 13-43-56). This is the one player I can see PC breaking the bank for this summer, up to an including trading the Nuge to get him. I don’t think it wise, and doubt Shattenkirk seriously considers Edmonton.
  2. RD Cody Franson, Buffalo Sabres. Universally unpopular name in the comments section, I’m going to remain stubborn on him. He can help on the power play and many of his fancy stats are out of the blue and into the black. Importantly, his price point may come in at a number that Edmonton finds acceptable.
  3. LD Brian Campbell (80gp, 5-12-17). I think he would be an excellent mentor to Darnell Nurse, Matt Benning and other young blue. The man can still wheel.
  4. RD Michael Stone (64gp, 3-12-15). He is not a defenseman who shows up well in the metrics I pay attention to, but there was discussion around him as an option leading up to the trade deadline.

That’s a baker’s dozen possibles, we’ll build it out to 30 so I can be wrong and use more words this year. Personal Opinion? I like Manson, Gudas, Pysyk, Vatanen. Most likely? Kris Russell.

PETER CHIARELLI SUMMER LIST

1. Get Connor McDavid signed to a long-term contract.
  2. Get Leon Draisaitl signed to a long-term contract.
  3. Negotiate the expansion draft rapids without giving up a valuable piece of the future.
  4. Find a way to trade Benoit Pouliot off the roster.
  5. Find a second pairing D with two-way acumen.
  6. Find a bottom 6F who can help the offense.
  7. Find a way to cover off buried contracts.
  8. Make enough cap room to get everyone in under the number with enough room to spare for the trade deadline.

Chiarelli will have his media avail at 10 this morning (live on the Lowdown!) and I expect we’ll hear about contracts, the expansion draft and additions to the roster. Kris Russell questions will get asked, and I wonder if he says something about an offensive defender coming in. Center, draft, need to get bigger, et cetera. PC actually has far less work to do this year, although the finishing work requires a skillful touch. Cap dollahs are going to be dear.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM SUMMER

Over the years, Oilers general managers have run the entire range of failure-to-success.

• Glen Sather: A fabulous trader, he won far more than he lost. If we made a list of ’10 best’ trades in Oilers history, my guess is Slats would have eight of them. Of course, he was GM here for 20 years.
  • Kevin Lowe. He was a solid young general manager through his early years, sending away talented veterans for hopeful youngsters and making out fine. His 2005-06 season was stunning. Lowe did not adjust well to the cap era, and was a victim of it.
  • Steve Tambellini. Looking back, I think Tambellini may have had trust issues within his own offices. He was somewhat frozen in his movements and most did not work out.
  • Craig MacTavish. He did some promising things but in the end had poor assessment skills (Jeff Petry). I know he’s a smart fellow, wonder why he didn’t spend more time learning the trade.
  • Peter Chiarelli. A volume trader with riverboat gambler rising. The second guy on this list who doesn’t appear to give one damn about losing a trade.

Bottom line? Expect some trades that are unpopular in the beginning. These trades may or may not work out. If you believe Cam Talbot and Adam Larsson have helped the Oilers, then you may like what is to come. If you believe trading No. 16 and 33 for Griffin Reinhart and the Hall trade devastated the future, hold on to your hat.

We have discussed Ryan Strome before on this blog:

• Draft Profile here.
  • I wrote this at the 2017 deadline: Jordan Eberle and Brandon Davidson to the NY Islanders for C-R Ryan Strome and G Jaroslav Halak. The money doesn’t quite work (and EDM would need a sweetener) but the idea does on a couple of levels. Halak’s contract ($4.5 million) expires summer 2018, just as Connor McDavid’s big contract kicks in. Eberle’s deal expires the following year, in 2019. Is Strome a suitable replacement for Eberle? Or could he successfully center a skill line, allowing Leon to play RW? Source

• Jordan Eberle per 82gp: 27-34-61 (18:11 TOI)
  • Ryan Strome per 82gp: 14-26-40 (15:14 TOI)

The other big difference is salary, although the Oilers might have to retain some dollars. Eberle’s $6 million times two towers over Strome’s $2.5 million times one (RFA). Interestingly, Eberle is more of a volume shooter (8.03 shots per 60 over his career) than Strome (7.85 shots per 60 over his career), but the difference is slight. Note: I used hockey-reference to figure this out, so there may be a slight wobble in the number. He isn’t a strong faceoff man but is a center, he is fast and has good hands. If I were looking for a style comp for him, Eberle would be a good fit (although Strome is faster).

WOULD YOU DO THIS TRADE?

Depends on how the money works of course. Strome is a lesser Eberle, but it isn’t like trading Guerin for Carter. We know Eberle’s value is going to be impacted by the cap number, and we know Strome is younger and can grow with the current group. I like elements of this trade in the same way I liked the Pysyk trade, not quite sure Strome is the same quality. Elliotte Friedman ha more on Eberle here.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy and fluid morning, TSN1260 beginning at 10 this morning. Peter Chiarelli’s media avail is slated for 10 and we will carry it. Also scheduled are Scott Cullen and Jonathan Willis. Canada-Finland goes at noon. 10-1260 text and @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

117 Responses to "THE BLUE ROOM"

1. jake70 says:

LT, your comment on Russell, “…if he accepts a 2-way deal…” should this read 2 year deal? No way he accepts a 2-way deal 😉

2. misfit says:

I could see our next defenseman addition come from Vegas. Playing with the expansion draft tool on cap friendly, it seems to me that there are going to be a lot more quality defensemen (and a lot who are RHS) than forwards. They could end up drafting a decent defense with nothing up front, which sets them up as an excellent trade partner for a team like the Oilers.

3. Todd Macallan says:

30 Thoughts also says that our old friend Belov is considering returning to the NHL a year from now. Looks like that target list for D next summer already has a name at the top of the list! (He said, sarcastically)

4. DaveWatchesHockey says:

thelongway:
    i love the nuge and I love creep, but total threadjack, and I apologise in advance. I’ve been a lurker and rare poster for I think a decade here, and I truly value your guys’ opinions/thoughts on many things ( Showerhead your post on the mother’s day thread was awesome, Jethro the link to brainpickings, to name a few recent examples } i’m curious what sort of opinion you guys have on alcohol. I didn’t really drink at all until about my mid 30’s, now i’m in my mid 40’s and sort of all of a sudden I wonder if it might be a problem. taking stock of the last few years i’d have to say I drink every night. rarely less then a six pack, but also rarely more. do any of you know if this kind of habitual drinking is sustainable by the body and mind? or should I be concerned about this intake.
    I appreciate any insight in advance, and thank you (again) Lowetide for this excellent place, it truly feels like a community

I feel compelled to give you my thoughts on this from last night’s thread which I missed responding to last night – hope you are around to read them.

My opinion is nothing good will come drinking in that volume, and you do have a problem, but the fact that you are in a position NOW to speak up and realize it might be a problem is good, and could save your life.

Just last month I buried my father who passed away from liver failure due to a drinking problem.

That story goes back 10 years ago (actually I’m sure it goes back much further, but I only became aware around 10 years ago – I was late 20’s), when dad ended up in the hospital due to heavy drinking.

I could write on the subject for days, but will try to keep it short.

While the family was aware of his problem, there was very little we could do about it. I found part of the problem to be that the addiction is basically a mental illness. Once my dad got far enough down the road he could not stop. Parts of his body would shut down and he could not stop. His family would beg, plead, pour his alcohol out, it was useless, he could not stop…

10 years ago his mother found him collapsed at his house and he went to the hospital. Got dried out, got physically and mentally better. He never did admit he had had a problem, but he did get better. Stopped drinking. Did all sorts of wonderful things with his life. Grandchildren came, he developed a love of drawing, traveled, etc.

But at some point, he went back to the drink. Why I will never know. In the end he was consuming a large smirnoff 1.75 L every 2-3 days. This time it was me who found him collapsed at his house, unable to move. A trip to the hospital turned to a prolonged stay in the ICU, from which he never made it out.

Liver failure was the cause of death, and believe me it is a tough way to go.

He was 64. Too damn young.

I’m a guy who loves craft beer, so my perspective is not alcohol = bad, but abuse of it is a dangerous road, and you should absolutely be concerned. If you want to talk more about it I’m more than willing (for anyone actually) as it’s a subject that is obviously very heartfelt to me, and talking is good – it’s one of those things that spends too much time in the shadows, and should be talked about more. Email me at endlessdaves@gmail.com if you want.

Dave

5. leadfarmer says:

DaveWatchesHockey,

LT if you dont mind since there’s a new thread up I thought i’d repost this.

I typically dont like giving medical advice over the interwebs, but that level of drinking is not sustainable by your liver long term. While not seeming like an outrageous amount for some, that level of daily consumption will cause inflammation in your liver and may very well end up in liver damage and maybe cirrhosis. If you stop cold turkey you will likely have withdrawal symptoms. I hope you reach out for the help you need because a lot of the time these issues get worse before they get better on their own.

6. jtblack says:

Ebs for Strome … I would do this deal based on the following:

Strome is 40% of the cost and most likely will stay cheap going forward … Strome is 23 and SHOULD be a useful player going forward, as you mentioned, he can grow with the group …

Strome can skate .. one of the things I believe is overlooked with Eberle is how slow he has become …even when he carries the puck through the neutral his forwards are waiting for him .. If Strome can boogie, that’s a bonus ..

Strome is a Center .. He can play C or W, which is more versatile than Ebs .

Ebs has played 7 NHL seasons. I think his best offensive years are behind him and because that’s the one dimension he brings, I think you move on from him now …

Ebs is clearly the better scorer today (2017) and Strome has shown to be inconsistent so far in his career … But that’s a chance I am willing to take ..

Strome is also probably buddies with McD(via D Strome), so I think Connor would be in favor … Keep the Golden One Happy as he stirs the entire drink …

7. McSorley33 says:

ALL DAY LONG…..Ebs for Strome.

Change of scenery for both players.

8. BrazilianOil says:

No Hamonic on the list? So should be Hamonic + Strome for Eberle + ?

9. Oilin4 says:

Nino Neiderreiter available according to 30 thoughts.

NN last three seasons:

14/15: 80 – 24 -13 – 37
    15/16: 82 – 20 – 23 – 43
    16/17: 82 – 25 -32 -57

Scored 1 point int he playoffs.

Oilers fans today: Amazing player! Move heaven and earth (and then cap space cause he’s an RFA) to get him

But this guy:

14/15: 81 – 24 -39 – 63
    15/16: 69 – 25 – 22 – 47
    16/17: 82 – 20 – 31 -51

Scored 0 points in the playoffs

Oilers fans today: Total bum! Give him away for nothing!

10. dustrock says:

I’ll chip in my 2 cents about alcohol abuse since in family law/child welfare we see this a lot, and I have family with addictions issues as well.

That level of drinking daily is past moderate, according to the literature (2-3 drinks per day for men, I believe).

You are likely addicted. You may be a high-functioning alcoholic (puts hand up) where you have the drinking relatively under control, but if you’re in the contemplation stage about whether or not it’s a problem, that means you’ve been concerned already.

Some warning signs:

– is alcohol starting to interfere/cause problems with your work or family life?
    – do you think about drinking during the day or do you drink sometimes during the day?
    – do you drink by yourself?
    – do you ever have to go back to the liquor store in the same night?

In terms of how to address the problem, some people need to abstain completely – I was like that with smoking. It’s either nothing, or a pack a day.

For many people, a “harm reduction” policy works better – can you start to limit the days that you drink? Pick 2-3 days of the week where you are specifically not going to have a drink.

Or maybe you limit yourself to 2-3 beers a night. If buying a case or a sixer means you’ll have the entire thing, then buy 2 tallboys.

Anyway, back to the hockey.

11. dustrock says:

Oilin4:
    Nino Neiderreiter available according to 30 thoughts.

NN last three seasons:

14/15: 80 – 24 -13 – 37
    15/16: 82 – 20 – 23 – 43
    16/17: 82 – 25 -32 -57

Scored 1 point int he playoffs.

But this guy:

14/15: 81 – 24 -39 – 63
    15/16: 69 – 25 – 22 – 47
    16/17: 82 – 20 – 31 -51

Scored 0 points in the playoffs

Oilers fans today: Total bum! Give him away for nothing!

Niederreiter: $2.7 million.

Great info on alcohol everyone. A quick note: IF you feel you have problems relating to alcohol, please see your doctor. No online forum can possibly hope to identify specific issues. Thanks.

13. dustrock says:

LT: do you think we’ll see a trade prior to July 1st?

14. Oilin4 says:

dustrock: Niederreiter: $2.7 million.

Neiderreiter RFA

dustrock:
    LT: do you think we’ll see a trade prior to July 1st?

Oh yes.

16. Rondo says:

dustrock,

Here is an essay on alcoholism that is worth reading if your interested.

17. stevezie says:

You don’t think they’ll kick tires on Alzner?

I don’t see him as likely, but any good UFA is getting a call, no?

18. jtblack says:

Oilin4,

If people suggest we should consider moving on from a player or trade a player; I don’t think their wording is “He’s a bum, give him away for nothing”. If you interpret it that way, you are trying to enhance your own agenda.

Eberle has value. Eberle scored 20 Goals. He also makes $6 Million per year. A GM has to look at all parameters of every player and try and do what’s best for the team. If it’s best to keep him (No trade market) then the GM will keep him. If the GM feels he can bring in a decent player and save $$, he may do that.

19. Thinker says:

Chia just confirmed the knee injury on Sekera. 6-9 months. Sounds like we need to sign Russel for LD, and go for a RD too.

20. DBO says:

Strome fits the mold. Either big and strong or fast and skilled. Eberle is just skilled. Not a bad trait, the kid can score. But one dimensional doesn’t work as well. Both chia and McClellan like versatility, the right handed C/RW in Strome is a perfect fit. He can centre a sheltered line if Draisatl plays wing, or play wing possibly with McDavid (he could at least keep up). And his salary allows us to have the cash to make a run at an expensive PP dman . Prospects and picks for a player like Pysyk or Faulk without giving up Nuge, gives us more depth and balance!

21. pocession charge says:

Thinker:

Ugh. You’re right and it’s going to be three years times $4M now. Not sure what the alternatives are but I don’t think they have much choice now. Even after he returns, Sekera might not be very effective next year.

22. DBO says:

Thinker:

That also greatly increases the likelihood of Russell as you say, but also anyone on a one year expensice contract. Like Chara or someone similar.

23. dustrock says:

Could sign Campbell and run Klefbom-Campbell-Nurse.

24. dustrock says:

Raider Jesse on twitter made interesting point: do you convince Sekera to waive his NMC for the expansion draft, knowing it’s unlikely LV would take him if he’s out until 2018?

25. Steve4 says:

dustrock,

dustrock:

That’s possible, but what does that benefit us? It would only matter if we were to acquire a Defenseman before the expansion. Which is also possible.

26. DBO says:

Also greatly increases the likelihood of Reinhart being kept and starting the year in the bigs next year.

Chara and Mike Green are the biggest dollar and name players on one year deals. Detroit may be willing to go younger.

Also not often mentioned is the wheeling and dealing Vegas may do after the expansion draft. If they take a bunch of extra dmen or goalies, they will have some serious pieces to trade. Say they take Silverberg and you can get him for Eberle after the draft. It will be like another trade deadline between the expansion draft and free agency.

27. leadfarmer says:

While your doctor can help with the immediate withdrawal symptoms, please contact AA of your choosing for the long standing support that you need. Your life doesnt have to be in ruins to benefit from AA.

28. Rondo says:

To do list find a backup goalie. Hire Manny Malholtra

29. dustrock says:

leadfarmer: While your doctor can help with the immediate withdrawal symptoms, please contact AA of your choosing for the long standing support that you need.Your life doesnt have to be in ruins to benefit from AA.

I’d also highly recommend AADAC.

I reached out to speeds re: Sekera and the Oilers can LTIR and use that cap room.

31. Woogie63 says:

VGK with have a huge advantage to sign both Alzner and Russell, two more good options from the expansion draft and they will be set for the next three years.

32. DBO says:

So Russell on a 1 year. Deal for a Rh dmen like Green. And if Sekera comes back and plays well then you have depth. True depth. Kinda like a trade acquisition mid season.

Prospect for Green, and get Strome plus for Eberle. Wouldn’t hurt our cap going forward and helps balance us out.

33. Scungilli Slushy says:

pocession charge: Ugh.You’re right and it’s going to be three years times $4M now.Not sure what the alternatives are but I don’t think they have much choice now.Even after he returns, Sekera might not be very effective next year.

Edit: However Chia should aim high. I think he does that. If he can do better than Russel do it.

34. Professor Q says:

All I have to say is **ck the Ducks.

Poor Sekera. 🙁

35. Ribs says:

dustrock:

The NHL has a list of injured guys that can’t be exposed to the draft which I’m sure Sekera will be added to.

36. JustWatt says:

That sucks re: Sekera. Where’s Woodguy? We need some more of that “let me run the numbers and find out who the best up and coming players in positions the Oilers need” analysis that CLEARLY lead directly to the Oilers acquiring Talbot and Larsson. 🙂

37. Scungilli Slushy says:

Professor Q:
    All I have to say is **ck the Ducks.

Poor Sekera.

38. russ99 says:

Feel bad for Sekera, it seemed that could be the case, but maybe there’s good with the bad so we don’t take half measures on defense either keeping or replacing Russell.

39. Professor Q says:

Scungilli Slushy: A cheap shot as well by the Goon. What Anaheim gets away with is ridiculous. I watched a Sens game and they were calling it far tighter and not allowing nearly as much. Why the Quacks get away with what they do is a complete mystery to me, so blatant. It would make more sense if it was everybody.

40. russ99 says:

Professor Q: Indeed. Not just once but twice (the charging slewfoot-crosscheck from behind behind the net, and the borderline headshot mid-ice by the boards). Getzlaf got away with targeting Sekera more than once with intents to injure.

Not to mention all those borderline penalties that were called against us so the refs could “keep control of the game”.

Ludicrous.

41. bendelson says:

Tough news on Sekera… I’m guessing that means the return of Russell as well as a depth move – I’ll guess the addition of Petrovic – which is reasonable.

And welcome back Stevezie!

42. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

bendelson,

– Great post LT! Ben the opportunity with Sekera is that the Oil can’t “trick” themselves.

– It also increase the likelihood of more Steve Austins departing as they are the things that have relative value.

43. who says:

44. JDI says:

russ99: so that doesn’t save us cap space this summer

Teams are allowed to be 10% over the cap during the summer, no?

45. who says:

DBO:

If Vegas drafts Silverberg why would they trade him for Eberle. Sometimes it pays to look at a trade from another teams perspective. It sure would cut down on the unrealistic trade proposals we see on here. Maybe that would be bad for business.

46. The Trade Guy says:

russ99: But as with Ference, the player has to be on the opening day roster and the team under the cap to be put on LTIR, so that doesn’t save us cap space this summer, and worst case 9 month recovery scenario, he’s back late in February, we need space to reinstate him.

No I think they can benefit. They can be 10% over the cap in the off-season and PC has to leave space for the entry level contract bonuses anyway. That said, He can spend more this off-season and use Sekera’s cap hit for those bonuses when he hits the IR.

47. jtblack says:

Sekera could be back as soon as Nov.1 or out til Feb. Wow. I thought he was our nost consistent D man at both ends of the ice. Most serious knee injuries take a good yr for the player to get back to their previous level. He might not be that effective nxt yr upon return.

Hope Long term that is doesnt affect him He is starting down the wrong side of 30 …..

48. Professor Q says:

who: Getzlaff got away with a lot of shit in the series but the hit that sidelined Sekera was pretty innocent. Shoulder to shoulder along the boards. Don’t know how he tore up his knee on that play but it is just dam bad luck, not intent to injure.

I looked at it again and it definitely looks not as innocent as you portray. He extends his arm and throws his elbow into it, and it DOES look like he goes for the head, and hits the TOP of the shoulder instead (missing his target, and still not innocent).

But I think he was perhaps injured with the following play, the one behind the net that was the charge+crosscheck+slewfoot.

49. Professor Q says:

Hopefully we see a strong response from the Preds, instead of flopping over and letting Kesler et al. get away with everything.

50. Richard S.S. says:

If you thought last season was important, it loses it’s significance where you realize how difficult this offseason has become.
    1) Leon Draisaitl – Big Number; Connor McDavid – Bigger Number; Ryan Nugent-Hopkins – 6.0; Jordan Eberle – 6.0; Benoit Pouliot – 4.0. You can only keep two, but not everyone has trade value.
    2) Oscar Klefbom, Adam Larsson, Darnell Nurse and Matthew Benning are not enough, especially when everyone else is named “who”. Filling the holes will not be cheap.
    3) Leon Draisaitl must be a Centre who can play RW. He must not be a RW who can also play Centre. There is a big difference here.
    4) Jesse Puljujarvi may be a top #1 RW. He may be a top #2 RW. Or he may be neither. It’s too soon to tell. Either way the Oilers need a good #2 RW who could play up. That talent is not cheap.

51. Thinker says:

I don’t think the day one roster is that big of a deal. You can send connor down as a paper transaction to hide his bonus, same with a lot of guys.

52. Oddspell says:

Ribs: expansion

53. McNuge93 says:

Agree, it sucks, but maybe there’s some positives. They’ll hopefully add a decent 2RD and maybe Nurse gets some good experience on 2nd pairing and Reinhart some experience on third pairing, or they also sign a Gryba like 7D. Then Sekera comes back and gets a couple of months in before the playoff grind.

54. Rondo says:

Lebron James treatment from the refs

55. Ribs says:

Oddspell: I believe that only applies to potentially career ending injuries and has a high “games missed” criteria.

Found the NHL’s definition…

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club’s player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.

So I guess he possibly might not fit into that category.

56. --hudson-- says:

Really nice press conference from Chia, recommend you all listen if you have the chance.

Things that stuck out to me:
    – It doesn’t sound like RNH or Eberle are going anywhere. Chia would like to take a summer off from making a big trade (although he is known to keep his cards close). He really sees Nuge turning in to a man now and has asked him to work on faceoffs.
    – Regarding expansion, the Oilers are a middle of the pack team, they’re going to lose a player they would like to keep.
    – He thinks Nashville/Anaheim have the two best d-cores in the league, enjoying their series now. The Oilers d-core is not at the same level as yet.
    – His summer priorities are to extend Connor, resign Drai, then take care of the rest. The reporters seemed to take from this that it means Russell will hit UFA. Chia would like Russell back but needs certainty on McD/Drai cap numbers first before taking care of the remaining free agents. Seems a logical approach.

Lots of other good tidbits in there, but I was most interested in the above.

57. N64 says:

“I tried a year ago and missed it completely. I grabbed 27 names, basically four rosters worth of defensemen, in search of Peter Chiarelli’s target. Missed it by a mile. Source. This year I’m going to try it again, hopefully with a more accurate eye. List below is what I believe PC’s list may look like based on his own past”

Would like to see an updated list this year from NYC Oil as well. Before the trade he listed 14 for #1 and 12 for #2. Larsson was on his list.

(grouped using NYOil’s comment, no particular order beyond that)

Arizona – 1 OEL
    Calgary – 1 Brodie
    Chicago – 1. Keith
    LA – 1 Doughty
    Minny – 1. Suter
    Montreal – 1. Subban
    NYR – 1. McDonagh
    Ottawa – 1. Karlsson
    Pittsburgh – 1. Letang
    St. Louis – 1. Pietrangelo
    Tampa – 1. Hedman
    Washington – 1. Carlson

Anaheim – 1. Lindholm (low end now but tracking well)
    Carolina – 1. Faulk (low end. has some HSCA issues)

Florida – None. Ekblad #2 could be a 1 soon.

New Jersey – None. Larsson is close but not enough offense (see Vlasic, Tanev)
    San Jose – none Vlasic (see Tanev) and Burns (great O, but not enough D) #2s
    Van – none Tanev #2 (not enough O)

Buffalo – None. Risto #2
    Dallas – None. Klingberg #2
    Nashville – 2. Josi, Weber
    NYI – None. Hamonic #2
    Toronto – None. Rielly #2
    Winnipeg – None. Buff #2

58. Professor Q says:

–hudson–:

Things that stuck out to me:
    – It doesn’t sound like RNH or Eberle are going anywhere.Chia would like to take a summer off from making a big trade (although he is known to keep his cards close).He really sees Nuge turning in to a man now and has asked him to work on faceoffs.
    – He thinks Nashville/Anaheim have the two best d-cores in the league, enjoying their series now.The Oilers d-core is not at the same level as yet.
    – His summer priorities are to extend Connor, resign Drai, then take care of the rest.The reporters seemed to take from this that it means Russell will hit UFA.Chia would like Russell back but needs certainty on McD/Drai cap numbers first before taking care of the remaining free agents.Seems a logical approach.

Lots of other good tidbits in there, but I was most interested in the above.

Sounds like a plan! Very nice indeed.

Unfortunately, Russell has leverage now. The Davidson trade really stings now, because one would have had one of Davidson or Reinhart regardless of the expansion draft. Now one likely has neither.

Eberle for DeHaan or Hamonic or Hickey (modulo stuff)

OR

Nugent-Hopkins for Faulk (modulo stuff)

becomes slightly more urgent now.

60. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

–hudson–,

Yup those were the big points I picked up as well.

I liked his defense of Eberle, especially since it was Rishaug asking the question who’s been very heavy on the “ship the bum out” train

Also thought it was smart that he noted that the cap is an end of next year issue and not this years, which is double true if you can jettison a contract or two.

Also liked his discussion about JP, not worried about short terms ups and downs, offense is there not worried, thought JP was frustrated with having to put in so much apprentice time but says he understands and has no doubt he’ll be an impact player.

61. pocession charge says:

dustrock:
    Could sign Campbell and run Klefbom-Campbell-Nurse.

He likes playing in the States, but would definitely be a great one year addition. Maybe Connor could call him?

62. pocession charge says:

Scungilli Slushy: It’s ok if there aren’t movement restrictions. He could be traded if necessary, in a recent interview he seems aware as most older guys do of the business side of things. As a UFA if he’s moveable really he’s a free asset. He isn’t bad left side.

It’s no secret that he wants to play in Alberta. So his agent will likely insist on a NMC. Calgary will likely give him what he wants if the Oilers don’t. It’s unfortunate but I don’t think the Oilers will have a choice if they want Russell. It’s a risky decision to give him the NMC but I guess that they can give Nurse and Benning a low ball bridge deal in the future.

63. Scungilli Slushy says:

Some commented he also had his knee in. Only one reason to do that when your a foot taller, if he did it which I ‘m not going to check out.

64. Truth says:

OilersNow‏ @OilersNow 3m3 minutes ago
    Peter Chiarelli tells @Bob_Stauffer on Oilers Now that he thinks the #Oilers are going to go the 7-3-1 route in the expansion draft.

I don’t think this is much of a surprise.

65. Scungilli Slushy says:

Professor Q:

This is when a guy like Phaneuf comes in handy. He looks to blow guys up and to me if it’s clean (not a head or knee) that is the perfect response to Kesler and Getzlaf, catch them coming into the middle or taking a pass and level them. Sore ribs will tone them down.

66. Ducey says:

I do not like Ryan Strome, at all.

He had 50 points 2 years ago. He has had 28 and then 30 since then. His p/60 5 x 5 was 1.58 this year and 1.33 two years ago. Kassian was 1.74 this year.

And he had essentially the same amount of PP time as Eberle, with half the points.

His CF% is quite poor on NYI. He is known to be maddenly inconsistent and isn’t known for his compete or defence. He had 59 hits this year. Slepy had 64 in only 41 games (with less TOI).

He only had 81 shots in 69 games 5 x 5. Not a volume shooter.

Just another fancy pants high draft pick who has not panned out.

Frankly, he doesn’t strike me as any better than Pitlick, Kassian, Slepy or Caggiula (the latter 2 didn’t score as well as Strome last year, but didn’t get as much PP time and will likely take a step forward next year). JP likely eats his lunch by mid season

Heck, Same Gagner would be better.

67. --hudson-- says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    –hudson–,

Yup those were the big points I picked up as well.

Yeah it was good perspective on JP. I liked how Chia pointed out the offensive zone dominance is there but JP needs to work on the stuff before the red line in order to spend more time on offense.

For JP it must be frustrating to see Laine and Aho have success and he feels he is as good or better than them.

Chia and McLellan are a pleasure to listen to (although I also liked listening to MacT when he was coach).

68. Ducey says:

godot10:
    Unfortunately, Russell has leverage now.The Davidson trade really stings now, because one would have had one of Davidson or Reinhart regardless of the expansion draft.Now one likely has neither.

Eberle for DeHaan or Hamonic or Hickey(modulo stuff)

OR

Nugent-Hopkins for Faulk (modulo stuff)

becomes slightly more urgent now.

Don’t agree.

Chia has Sekera’s cap room to play around with now. That’s an extra $2.5 to $4 million.

He does not have to find a $3 RH million defenseman. He can find a $3 million LHD (much easier to find) and go after a higher end RHD.

69. N64 says:

pocession charge: . It’s a risky decision to give him the NMC

Fatal if a NMC extends to another expansion draft.

70. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Ducey,

Ya Chia specifically mentioned consistently when talking about eberle (and also didn’t say sweet f-all about change of scenery) so there will need to be a bit more here.

Ducey,

I’m with you. Kris wants to play in AB, he gets to play a mentor role on the Oil that wouldn’t exist in calgary. I think there is a lot of good blood between these men right now. If they want to get a deal done it will happen.

71. jdhardy says:

N64: Fatal if a NMC extends to another expansion draft.

72. treevojo says:

JDI,

You have to be very careful before you bring Craig mactavish into the bedroom.

73. treevojo says:

JDI,

Better be a pretty close friend if you plan on introducing them to Craig mactavish.

74. treevojo says:

Chiarelli had a great presser.

Like how he brushed of the draisaitl offer sheet question.

I don’t understand why it is even being talked about.

If no one offer sheeted players like Kutcherov last summer with Tampa in a cap situation what makes anyone believe someone will do it this summer to the Oilers.

It also takes the player to agree which is usually a sign that they are either unhappy or the negotiation is nowhere close to what they were expecting.

75. N64 says:

jdhardy: I don’t think Seattle gets a team before 2020-21 at the earliest (which is also the lockout year, yay). If the new arena gets built, potentially a team could use Key Arena for a year or two, but if Key ends up getting renovated, it won’t be done until 2020 at the earliest.

No need to calculate. NTC. Exclude whatever but don’t exclude expansion.

76. treevojo says:

I wonder if Nurse will get anytime playing top 4 minutes next season?

treevojo:
    I wonder if Nurse will get anytime playing top 4 minutes next season?

Nurse, Larsson
    Klefbom, Benning
    Russell, ???

To start the season…perhaps.

78. Professor Q says:

treevojo,

And even when you have an unhappy player like Drouin, things can turn around and that Offer Sheet won’t be signed.

79. Professor Q says:

Québec.

80. pocession charge says:

treevojo:
    Chiarelli had a great presser.

Like how he brushed of the draisaitl offer sheet question.

I don’t understand why it is even being talked about.

It is highly unlikely that he would sign an offer sheet with another team. He is bff with Connor and I doubt he casts that relationship aside so easily. Besides, the Oilers would match (says Chiarelli) so it is a moooo point.

81. Professor Q says:

pocession charge: It is highly unlikely that he would sign an offer sheet with another team.He is bff with Connor and I doubt he casts that relationship aside so easily.Besides, the Oilers would match (says Chiarelli) so it is a moooo point.

Mooo point = Offer Sheet from Cow Town Calgary?

82. pocession charge says:

Professor Q: Québec.

Quebec seems more like a relocation destination for one of Gary’s NASCAR teams.

83. pocession charge says:

Professor Q: Mooo point = Offer Sheet from Cow Town Calgary?

If Draisaitl ends up a Flame, I am going to burn down the Saddledome.

84. Professor Q says:

pocession charge: Quebec seems more like a relocation destination for one of Gary’s NASCAR teams.

Well, yes. Likely so.

But I do think they’re the next in line after almost getting an expansion team this round. Odd that they’d stagger it but maybe they thought they could pry more money from am expansion team in later years if staggered as opposed to one lump sum of two teams at once?

The NHL IS trying to secure the rights (fully; I think they have the US rights but not Canadian rights) to Seattle Metropolitans.

85. pocession charge says:

Professor Q: Well, yes. But I do think they’re the next in line after almost getting an rxpansion team this round. Odd that they’d stagger it but maybe they thought they could pry more money from am expansion tram in later years if staggered as opposed to one lump sum of two teams at once?

Quebecor’s chairman (Brian Mulroney) stated that the dollar exchange rate was a barrier for their expansion dreams. He said that they would find the money somehow (if awarded an expansion franchise) but he doubted it would happen. That would be about $650M Cdn, which is pretty crazy for an NHL team in Quebec. How long would it take to recoup their initial investment?

86. Doug McLachlan says:

A few rambling thoughts.

Watched the entire Chia presser and, wow, what an engaging, confident, professional performance. I get that we question moves he has made and fear moves he may make, but man it sure is nice to have the sense that a grown-up is in charge.

Was a little surprised that “ink-stained wretches” didn’t follow up on Sekera’s injury and how it would impact the expansion draft or the summer signing season – especially with Russell. We were 20 minutes in before he mentions, oh ya he’ll be out 6-9 months (so basically we can’t expect him back until right before the trade deadline!). How does any other team’s press react when your #3 d-man is out for the heart of the season?!?

I guess that Sekera going on LTIR will give us some cap flexibility but the challenge will be filling that hole. Internally the options are Reinhart and Fayne. Assuming Russell resigns at a reasonable $ and length – still think he comes in at a manageable number, say $3.5M for three years. Clayton Stoner as a comparable. Still that is a huge hit and will be a real test for Chiarelli and TMac to restructure a d-corps that had relied of Sekera to steady that second pairing.

Klefbom – Larsson
    Rienhart – ?Russell?
    Nurse – Benning

Eeek, ok that is really going to need some work.

On the expansion draft front, what is the price to get Vegas to take Pouliot? Will a 3rd be enough? A 2nd next year? A couple of prospects for the AHL team – Vegas announced the Chicago Wolves as their affiliate?

Pouliot is the key to move not because of his cap hit this year but his hit next year. Glad to hear Chia explaining how we have the cap space this year and that the crunch comes when “Mr. McDavid”‘s deal kicks in in 2018. The ripple effects of Pouliot being selected help the cap crunch but also keep Letestu and Reinhart safe.

One question I have not seen discussed was who Vegas reasonably would want to draft as their d, in particular, given that nobody drafted is waiver exempt? I get that taking Reinhart would be a tough pill to swallow for the Oilers but does he necessarily make Vegas’ roster? Whenever I’ve looked at the simulator I’ve usually come up with 8 better d-men (Min, Ana, Fla and NYI are going to expose a better d than Reinhart for sure and that’s just off the top of my head).

Finally, glad that he cooled the Eberle is out of here talk. Doesn’t mean he won’t trade him but at the very least the air got let out of the balloon for a bit. It was getting a little crazy and I think that pushing back at the “unfair criticism” was subtle but effective. Even if it was only to calm the waters and build up the asset, it was nice to see. I suspect that they want to find a way to replace his 20-25 goals before contemplating dealing him for pennies on the dollar.

I’ll just hang up and listen now.

87. pocession charge says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    Ducey,

The reporters should have asked for MacT (not the way that JDI is thinking about). We’d know everything!

88. treevojo says:

pocession charge: The reporters should have asked for MacT (not the way that JDI is thinking about).We’d know everything!

Mactavish would bring out the bare truth.

No secret is safe or protected with mactavish.

89. McNuge93 says:

pocession charge: It’s no secret that he wants to play in Alberta.So his agent will likely insist on a NMC.Calgary will likely give him what he wants if the Oilers don’t.It’s unfortunate but I don’t think the Oilers will have a choice if they want Russell.It’s a risky decision to give him the NMC but I guess that they can give Nurse and Benning a low ball bridge deal in the future.

There is no way he would get a NMC.

90. treevojo says:

godot10: Nurse, Larsson
    Klefbom, Benning
    Russell, ???

To start the season…perhaps.

I think if Russell is an oiler next year he will roam between the right and left side.

Can’t wait for the playoffs to get over so we can get onto the expansion draft.

I think there could be fireworks throughout the league.

91. dustrock says:

Chia plays his cards close to his chest. I expect at least one of Eberle or RNH gone.

His comments on Anaheim/Nashville D being the best and our team not being quite there is good, that means he’s looking to improve.

The NHL is funny though about the Draisaitl offer sheet question though. “A team would be doing that basically to cripple us”.

Well, yes, Chia, that’s what I would be doing if I was an opposing GM with a team where it made sense to give an offer sheet. Poach one of your top 3 players and make an up and coming team hurt.

I know you guys are all buds but I’d love to see some more rivalry and bad blood.

92. stevezie says:

bendelson,

You old sentimentalist you

93. treevojo says:

dustrock:

Or as he stated he expects his four younger d (klefbom, nurse, larsson and Benning) to continue to improve.

94. StixMalone says:

In today’s league who could afford to offer sheet Drai? That’s a big chunk of change for most teams is it not???

95. Oilin4 says:

Sekera’s LTIR could be used to pay McDavid’s bonus. That is, assume McDavid gets his full bonus (roughly 2.9M). We could spend to the cap minus McDavid’s bonus and not have to carry McDavid’s bonus into 18/19 because of cap credits saved from Sekera’s time on LTIR.

Also, the implication of Sekera’s loss are bad but not horrible. My time as an NFL fan taught me that ACLs that require are 9-12 months for full recovery. 6 is really optimistic, but does happen depending on severity (don’t know) and age (not in Sekera’s favor because most quick recoveries are guys in early 20s). Nonetheless, Sekera should be back to full strength for the playoffs, which we almost certainly make without him so long as 77-6 stay healthy. All it costs in the end then is playoff positioning. Meh….

It could even be a blessing in disguise if it frees space up to (and forces Chiarelli to) build D depth for the season (including playoffs).

Could we see the balance photo entering the playoffs? We wait.

96. treevojo says:

Oilin4,

Sorry

Balance photo only applies to the start of the year.

Looks like we won’t see it till 2018-19 season at the earliest if ever.

97. Professor Q says:

Question:

Chiarelli mentioned Reggie and Russell as the two veteran D in our D corps.

Who the heck is Reggie?!

98. treevojo says:

Professor Q:
    Question:

Chiarelli mentioned Reggie and Russell as the two veteran D in our D corps.

Who the heck is Reggie?!

Sekera’s nickname

99. Professor Q says:

treevojo: Sekera’s nickname

At least it’s better than Sekie.

StixMalone:

Vegas, Carolina, New Jersey.

Oilin4:
    Sekera’s LTIR could be used to pay McDavid’s bonus.

I am NOT a NHL CBA expert…

…but I believe that LTIR CANNOT be used to offset bonuses.

102. Diablo says:

Good stuff from Chia and TMac to parse through today …

– Leon is going to sometimes play centre and sometimes play on McDavid’s wing; hockey is fluid game played on the ice, not on paper.

– The concerns over Leon getting an offer sheet are dumb – no rival GM is going to pull that, since its inflationary and accomplishes nothing with the Oilers having the cap space to match.

– getting Connor and Leon signed is the top priority; not much else likely to happen roster wise until Chia known what kind of cap space he’s got to work with moving forward.

– There’s probably a better than 50:50 chance that Russell gets re-signed; the bloggers and internet GMs will hate it but neither Chia or TMac care what you think. Though not sure why all of sudden people here think he’s going to get an NMC or go to Calgary. Guess you gotta worry about something before it happens ….

– Chia seems to think this draft is pretty weak; he’s not going out of his way to get a 2nd rounder, so get over it.

– Get well soon Rej!

– RNH and Eberle are very good NHL players who play for the Edmonton Oilers. Fullstop – no need to trade either, since the cap crunch doesn’t happen until next season.

– Chia is very high on Jesse’s potential – “good for a breakaway a period” – he’s not going anywhere.

– The reporters were too chicken-shit to ask Chia or Tmac their opinion on Lucic’s performance.

– Tmac is the coach this team needs right now; you can quibble all you want about his in-game management but right now this team needs a coach with a steady hand who’s not going to hit the panic button every time the team hits a speed bump. That kind of schtick gets old fast.

103. Professor Q says:

Wrote on Chia’s avail here

‘Twas a good writeup. Good show today, too.

104. Diablo says:

dustrock:
    Chia plays his cards close to his chest.I expect at least one of Eberle or RNH gone.

The NHL is funny though about the Draisaitl offer sheet question though.“A team would be doing that basically to cripple us”.

Well, yes, Chia, that’s what I would be doing if I was an opposing GM with a team where it made sense to give an offer sheet.Poach one of your top 3 players and make an up and coming team hurt.

You send another team an offer sheet only when you think they won’t or can not match – you don’t do it just to drive up salaries across the league.

105. rickithebear says:

Player – EVA60 – EVGA60 – PKGA60 – PPGF60 (D rank in Brackets)
    Larsson (1st) – .54 – 1.82 (19) – 5.93 (40)
    Benning (2nd/3rd) – .58 – 2.07 (69) – 2.87 (2) (.96 TOI)
    ————————————————
    Klefbom (1st) – .51 – 2.50 (185)(#7D) – 7.57 (124) – 8.56 (5)
    Nurse (3rd) – .23 – 2.76 (214) (#8 D) – 7.78 (130)

Alzner (1st) – .50 – 1.66 (7) – 4.95 (10) – NA
    Beaulieu (1st-3rd) – .58 – 1.99 (43) – 4.10 (4) – 7.32 (29)
    Brodin (1st/2nd) – .56 – 1.91 (29) – 5.48 (35) – NA
    Vatanen (2nd/3rd) .41 – 2.02 (56) – 5.05 (14) – 7.86 (13)
    Campbell (3rd) – .51 – 1.74 (12) – 6.08 (48) – NA
    Shattenkirk (3rd) – .57 – 2.13 (88) – 4.95 (11) – 9.61 (2)

E. Karlsson – 1.04 (2) – 2.47 (178) – 7.29 (112) – 5.90 (63)
    OEL – .54 – 2.59 (198) – 8.10 (139) – 6.53 (45)
    J. Faulk 2.73 EVGA60 (211) #8D

34.3 OZ%/ 29.3 NZ%/ 36.4 DZ%

16-17 oiler EVG
    Mcdavid 26
    Draisatl 24
    Eberle 16
    RNH 13 is 115 in league with
    Simmonds; BennHoffman; Bergeron; Hall; Johnson; Statsny; Parise; Reider; Point;….
    Lucic 11

EVP
    Mcdavid 71
    Draisaitl 50
    Eberle 37
    Maroon 36
    RNH 32
    Lucic 25 180th there with Fisher; Granlund; Ladd; Cullen; Huala
    Kassian 24

106. Diablo says:

godot10: Vegas, Carolina, New Jersey.

Why would Leon sign a contract offer with any of those teams?

Diablo: Easy for you to say behind the anonymity of your computer. But the NHL is a business, and the GMs answer to their owners, not the fans. The magic word that Chia said was “inflationary” – the GM’s and owners do not want to escalate salaries – particularly with a flat cap – its not just rival NHL teams that you are competing against to get guys signed, but also rival leagues like the KHL.

No contract is inflationary. A big contract for one player only takes money away from another player.

A Draisaitl offer sheet would NOT be inflationary. It would REDISTRIBUTIVE.

108. Chachi says:

godot10: Inflation is NOT possible in a HARD CAP world, except for the automatic escalator, which both the NHL and the NHL PA contract.

No contract is inflationary.A big contract for one player only takes money away from another player.

A Draisaitl offer sheet would NOT be inflationary.It would REDISTRIBUTIVE.

LOL

109. N64 says:

godot10: A Draisaitl offer sheet would NOT be inflationary. It would REDISTRIBUTIVE.

FTFY GMs out there.

110. Diablo says:

godot10: Inflation is NOT possible in a HARD CAP world, except for the automatic escalator, which both the NHL and the NHL PA control.

A Draisaitl offer sheet would NOT be inflationary.It would REDISTRIBUTIVE.

Sure keep believing that – obviously the real GMs disagree with you.

111. Diablo says:

N64: FTFY GMs out there.

Exactly

112. Jaxon says:

I still think they should be looking to young up and comers for RHD so they don’t have to pay so much for them:

Ryan Sproul (DET), Ryan Pulock (NYI), Madison Bowey (WSH), Julius Bergman (SJS) and Kyle Wood (ARI) come to mind.

I believe they’re all on the verge of becoming NHL regulars and should still be affordable for a few years.

This fall’s camp should be very exciting, as always. It will be greta to watch the battles for final roster spots. Right-hand D could include:

Larsson,
    Benning,
    Ethan Bear, or Ryan Mantha,
    Gryba or Fayne.
    One of Bowey, Sproul, Pulock, Wood or Bergman.
    UFA like Franson or Stone,

That would finally be a lot of bodies competing for roster spots as RHD. Hasn’t happened in forever.

113. thelongway says:

thank you dust, rondo, and dave. apologies LT

thelongway:

thank you dust, rondo, and dave. apologies LT

No apologies necessary. A very interesting and open conversation. Always welcome.

115. stevezie says:

Diablo,

Well, there is a certain factual nature to the claim.